Hurricane Florence Rescued Dogs for Adoption in NJ

Hi, please come and adopt- here is the link:
wwwhomeforgooddogs.com- Berkeley Heights NJ

https://www.facebook.com/NJ.com/videos/322017451679933/?notif_id=1537529776855654&notif_t=live_video

they are all microchipped- this place is very dedicated to what they do

I think $400 and $450 is ridiculous to adopt a dog or puppy

I understand there are costs but that’s over the top .

Happy6 Happy6
Sep '18

I agree it is high- this place is not for everyone. but you have to understand that they drove all the way to NC and back to NJ + all the shots, room and board, etc.

Thanks for the input, I am sure someone will see past the $$ !

"but you have to understand that they drove all the way to NC and back to NJ + all the shots, room and board, etc."

No- that is not how a free market works.

If they drove to Cali, and fed the dog truffles would the price quadruple?

There is only soo much value in any given product based on demand- so time will tell if this is profitable for them or worth their time. But I agree- too much for me!

If the concept is the ever flaunted- think of the animals then I am sure there are people MUCH closer than NJ that could have taken the dogs in, and found someone to take them. For next to nothing other than love.

I'll be honest- this is a thinly veiled, bleeding heart, money grab.

Why? Because the very next day after the storm I started to see 'rescued' dogs FOR SALE on various places online, reddit, facebook, etc-

And I thought to myself- Self, how does someone have the right to drive down there and start stealing dogs- and yes it is stealing, even if the dog escapes in the chaos does not give someone the right to just claim them and list them for sale the NEXT DAY!!!

Shameful really- the whole mess of people that fall for this stuff. I feel bad for the dogs as well. Somebody is coming back home after a few days or a week evacuated and hanging signs on telephone poles looking for their pet- while someone else is trying to profit from their time and gas to drive down, steal stray dogs and profit from it. Drive there and back, room and board indeed!!

Josh- I could not agree with you more. Perfectly stated.

Greg- yea, I agree. But wait- I'll be flambéed shortly.

There are many more emotional people on here and in general than there are logical people.

... And yes- I believe the 2 are fundamentally mutually exclusive. :P

On the tape it said that these dogs were from shelters.

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '18

It has only been a short time since the hurricane and these dogs are already available for adoption?

What about the people looking for their pets? That is crazy this is happening. If they are microchipped - find the owners. If not, wait a bit longer. Those dogs belonged to someone.

I agree with you Josh and Greg.

Hopeful Hopeful
Sep '18

I second that !

Happy6 Happy6
Sep '18

The animals that came up from the south were in the shelters already and were going to be euthanized because many people were surrendering their pets instead making provisions for them. So the blame should not be placed on our shelters willing to help them find loving homes.

Molly
Sep '18

Most of the dogs being brought up from the south right now are dogs that were already in the shelters down there. They r trying to make room for the dogs that are victims of the hurricane. That way owners can go back and find their pets.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Sep '18

I don't believe these animals are stolen. I do think the fee is too high. Then again veterinary medicine is extortionate thanks to big pharma. I do hope the dogs find loving homes though. They deserve that.

I just moved to outside of Wilmington on April 1st. Let me tell you these dogs were from a shelter and dogs are euthanized daily down here. There are a ton of people, many from NJ that try and save these animals on a daily basis. It is really sickening for me to see this happening. A lot of people are trying to change the culture surrounding this activity but it will take time and not happen overnight. I agree the fees is quite high but it costs money to transport these animals and you're right about big pharma and the pricing they charge for medications. I hope it will get better soon and all of my fellow New Jersians should be thankful that this doesn't happen up there. I survived the Hurricane and evacuated to NW SC with our two dogs. While it was not fun being in a hotel with them for a week we were lucky to have only minimal damage to our home but many others were less fortunate than us. We are going too be donating our time to help others as there is a great need as many people are requiring all kinds of assistance.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '18

Hope all is well KB - I’m in wake county if you need anything after the hurricane

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

Thanks Skippy, we seem to be okay for now, much appreciated.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '18

Hi, all I was trying to do is let local know that there are dogs to adopt...
Everyone's opinion is valuable, but this is not about opinion, it is about fact.
These dogs need homes. Period. They are not going to adopt themselves. They are lost and scared and many are abandoned, sad, and depressed. Feel their pain!

If you do not want to adopt a dog, no one has a gun to your head! Just do not act...
If someone wants to sincerely adopt, well now you know!

PS To HL viewers: I am sure you remember your parents advising when you were young that if you do not have something NICE to say, then choose to not say anything at ALL- well, think about this here. Amen!

PS Molly, thanks for understanding the plight of SO MANY dogs that have left to die or deserve better than to be left ALONE. I'd give my heart to anyone who feels for these pets and drives all the way down there and brings them back. There are many truck drivers HL readers that BTW donate 100 percent of their time, truck, etc. to voluntarily drive down and pick up these dogs for FREE- count your blessings and kiss your puppy /kitties tonight and thank God you were not one of the many families and animals affected by this tragedy!

I don’t think the cost is that bad, really. When you add in spay /neuter, fecal tests, blood work, vaccines, micro chipping, housing, food and whatever meds a dog may need it is actually very reasonable. My vet charges $450 for a neuter and we spent several hundred on vaccines. So, get yourself a free puppy and do all the Vet stuff yourself you are looking at $800 or more. Doing the math isn’t that hard.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

The people questioning the cost probably shouldn't be adopting anyway. Dogs cost money to do it right. The get old quick and need thousand(s) at their end of life.

Thanks to the noble HL viewers that agree with me that the cost of Berkeley Heights program is fair enough- let's face it,. vet care is ALWAYS pretty expensive, but our furry friends are so worth it with the unconditional love they provide! Would trade that for most human companionship any day! :)

Just FYI - anyone can hang a sign and call themselves a "shelter" or "rescue". Many have no facility - they find dog lovers to VOLUNTEER to foster them. As stated, often drivers VOLUNTEER their time, truck and gas to pick the dogs up. And these shelters get STEEP discounts at local vets who genuinely care for the dogs' welfare - and sometimes don't even pay that discounted bill. Meanwhile, ABC Rescue Shelter Dog Lover scams people out of $450. I have yet to see anybody justify the cost. Sorry, someone is getting rich by plucking the heartstrings of dog lovers. And it is rampant.

Here's the thing: any reputable rescue has a certified dog trainer perform an extensive temperament evaluation on every dog to make sure there are no issues and no-one will get hurt. 95% of "rescues" DO NOT DO THIS. St. Hubert's does. Mt. Pleasant does. Eleventh Hour does not, and frequently recycles dogs as they are adopted out, bite someone, get returned and are adopted out again. Talk about an unscrupulous money maker.

Does Home For Good Dogs? Are they a 501c3, ensuring that they put dogs before profits?

I don't know. And go ahead and flame me. I speak truth.

carpe diem carpe diem
Sep '18

There is no such thing as a rich shelter. That is why they have fundraisers all the time. I used to volunteer at a shelter and I can promise you, they were not rich.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

Don’t see your post yet but answering from the NK post. Things are good in the raleigh area - beautiful spring like day here. Folks in east NC and Myrtle are still cleaning up storm debris and our animal shelters are overwhelmed unfortunately

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

Other Florence thread :>), but this will do.

Has the water receded?

Any bridges down, roads still out, power good?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '18

Rivers are still many feet over full and several dams have broken in new bern - the water has gone down significantly but it remains an issue. Feel sorry for folks east of Smithfield

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

Do you think more people in NC believe in global warming now than before the storm? Just wondered if they are wondering about that...

I hope the best for the clean up and that everyone gets to reclaim their lives after this pummeling.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '18

Thanks - honestly that hasn’t come up in conversation but now that you asked it’s somwtjibg I’ll bring up when talking to people.

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

“ if you do not have something NICE to say, then choose to not say anything at ALL- well, think about this here. Amen!”

This forum would go silent, in that case.

EweIdjits EweIdjits
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.