2018-19 NHL Season

It's here.....

Preseason. They played in China. They played in Lucan. Not long before we get the real thing.

I watched the Rangers Flyers tonight. I think it's going to be a long season for all 3 local teams. They all took steps backwards. At least the Islanders hired a real GM, but losing Tavares for nothing killed them. I don't know how Snow held on to his job as long as he did.

Denis - The story with Snow isn't a big secret. He was coach of Wang's son. And that's the whole way Wang ran the team. Lou is for real, but he's also a cheapskate. Only time will tell if that really helps or not.

As for the three local teams, I agree on two. But even if they didn't make huge moves to improve, I'm not so sure the Devils really took steps back. The only piece of any note they lost was Grabner. And he was not a fit for their type team. I don't think that will really impact anything.

The Capitals had a really awful preseason last year and ended up winning the Cup, and who would have picked Vegas to get as far as they did, so it's way too soon to come to any conclusions.

I neither hate or love the Devils, if I was 50 years younger I'd probably be a big Devils fan, I'm glad NJ has a team … I think the Devils will be a major player in the league this year... a really good Devils/Flyers rivalry seems to be looming.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
September 20th

GC- they lost Moore, Gibbons, and Maroon also. I think those were all key players for them in different roles. Not a huge step back, but a definite step back in my mind.

Denis - I had to look up who Gibbons was. A 29 year old rookie who got two attempts out of the minors 5 years ago? And didn't make it. They've got better than that in the minors.

Maroon's a journeyman they got as a rent-a-player. If they needed him that bad or he made that big an impact they would still be renting him. But at 3 goals for 17 games they don't.

When you loose a defenseman it can be a different story. But when Vatinen came in, low guy on the totem pole is going out. They got better, not worse.

If they lost a Palmieri or a Zajac I could understand. But they lost pieces easily replaceable from the minors or in the free agent market. Not even close to a Tavares, a Nash, or a McDonough.

GC if you watched Gibbons play he made an impact. 59 games 12 goals, 14 assists plus 10. Nothing gaudy but he did have an impact when healthy. They didn't get Maroon for his goal scoring ability. Hischier was getting run at constantly, and that definitely changed when Maroon arrived. Even today with players like Hischer and Hall it's good to have someone on your team to keep as a deterrent. I'm not saying they took a huge step back, but no question they went backwards. Fortuanley for them they have a lot young talent

Brian Gionta retires...

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-gionta-retires-16-nhl-185048167.html?src=rss

Its so close, drop the puck already.
Time to show I don’t know nuttin’.

TB over SJ in finals, with a nod to Tor or Nash.

NJ underachieves and NYR overachieves, neither playoff bound.

Wow, the Rags are really on a roll after their 3-7-1 start... 8-1-1 in their last 10.

These young rangers have a chip on there shoulder that no one expected they could do anything. Fun to watch!

I'm loving it, and I definitely didn't see it coming at all. Quinn seems like he will be a great coach for years to come.

Dang it, hoped no one would notice. LGR!

Lots of bad injuries n coaching changes lastnight.

Roywhite Roywhite
3 weeks ago

ianimal you jinxed us!

A message for any Devils player,

Would someone please hit Kovalchuk for me on Thursday night?!

Thank you.

Well, that Winnipeg team is having a really good year, they just kept coming at the Rangers and came all the way back. Rangers right in the middle of the pack … and moving up. They've given up a lot of goals, though.

Flyers bring in former Wild GM (nine mediocre seasons, good regular seasons but nothing in the playoffs) Chuck Fletcher, to try and right their ship … giving up on Hextall after four seasons … they need a reliable goalie … would be sorry to see coach Dave Hakstol go … after he came from college coaching at North Dakota and got the Flyers into the playoffs … they need to give him better players before they give up on him as their coach.. they have a bad mix of pricey vets and unproven kids.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Speaking for all the local teams, thank you Ryan Reaves, Tom Wilson just got Tom Wilsoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNcItuc-cc

Give it some time and NHL will police itself. Wilson got his payback, he’s only due a few more times.
There's so little checking now you gotta fight (not really, just a scrum cause even fighting suks now) when you throw a hard hit.

NHL to Seattle in 2021. Go Emeralds go!

Roywhite Roywhite
1 week ago

How about "sticking" it to the NBA and calling them the Supersonics LOL … actually, Emeralds is the best name, truly a name for a Seattle team (the Emerald City) … Seattle did win the Stanley Cup back in 1917...surprised the baseball and football teams never picked up on it … the first time they had MLB baseball they called the team The Pilots and they were one of the worst teams ever... moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

"I went to the fights last night and a hockey game broke out" - - - Rodney Dangerfield

GreyHawk GreyHawk
1 week ago

Not very much fighting anymore -- the Broad Street Bullies were so 40 years ago, as was the movie Slapshot (still an all-time classic, so funny :-D)

Watched the Penguins vs. Islanders the other night -- Crosby is still SO GOOD … continues to amaze.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
7 days ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Season
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.