2018-19 NHL Season

It's here.....

Preseason. They played in China. They played in Lucan. Not long before we get the real thing.

I watched the Rangers Flyers tonight. I think it's going to be a long season for all 3 local teams. They all took steps backwards. At least the Islanders hired a real GM, but losing Tavares for nothing killed them. I don't know how Snow held on to his job as long as he did.

Denis Denis
Sep '18

Denis - The story with Snow isn't a big secret. He was coach of Wang's son. And that's the whole way Wang ran the team. Lou is for real, but he's also a cheapskate. Only time will tell if that really helps or not.

As for the three local teams, I agree on two. But even if they didn't make huge moves to improve, I'm not so sure the Devils really took steps back. The only piece of any note they lost was Grabner. And he was not a fit for their type team. I don't think that will really impact anything.

The Capitals had a really awful preseason last year and ended up winning the Cup, and who would have picked Vegas to get as far as they did, so it's way too soon to come to any conclusions.

I neither hate or love the Devils, if I was 50 years younger I'd probably be a big Devils fan, I'm glad NJ has a team … I think the Devils will be a major player in the league this year... a really good Devils/Flyers rivalry seems to be looming.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '18

GC- they lost Moore, Gibbons, and Maroon also. I think those were all key players for them in different roles. Not a huge step back, but a definite step back in my mind.

Denis Denis
Sep '18

Denis - I had to look up who Gibbons was. A 29 year old rookie who got two attempts out of the minors 5 years ago? And didn't make it. They've got better than that in the minors.

Maroon's a journeyman they got as a rent-a-player. If they needed him that bad or he made that big an impact they would still be renting him. But at 3 goals for 17 games they don't.

When you loose a defenseman it can be a different story. But when Vatinen came in, low guy on the totem pole is going out. They got better, not worse.

If they lost a Palmieri or a Zajac I could understand. But they lost pieces easily replaceable from the minors or in the free agent market. Not even close to a Tavares, a Nash, or a McDonough.

GC if you watched Gibbons play he made an impact. 59 games 12 goals, 14 assists plus 10. Nothing gaudy but he did have an impact when healthy. They didn't get Maroon for his goal scoring ability. Hischier was getting run at constantly, and that definitely changed when Maroon arrived. Even today with players like Hischer and Hall it's good to have someone on your team to keep as a deterrent. I'm not saying they took a huge step back, but no question they went backwards. Fortuanley for them they have a lot young talent

Denis Denis
Sep '18

Brian Gionta retires...

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-gionta-retires-16-nhl-185048167.html?src=rss

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

Its so close, drop the puck already.
Time to show I don’t know nuttin’.

TB over SJ in finals, with a nod to Tor or Nash.

NJ underachieves and NYR overachieves, neither playoff bound.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '18

Wow, the Rags are really on a roll after their 3-7-1 start... 8-1-1 in their last 10.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '18

These young rangers have a chip on there shoulder that no one expected they could do anything. Fun to watch!

I'm loving it, and I definitely didn't see it coming at all. Quinn seems like he will be a great coach for years to come.

Denis Denis
Nov '18

Dang it, hoped no one would notice. LGR!

Lots of bad injuries n coaching changes lastnight.

Roywhite Roywhite
Nov '18

ianimal you jinxed us!

Denis Denis
Dec '18

A message for any Devils player,

Would someone please hit Kovalchuk for me on Thursday night?!

Thank you.

Well, that Winnipeg team is having a really good year, they just kept coming at the Rangers and came all the way back. Rangers right in the middle of the pack … and moving up. They've given up a lot of goals, though.

Flyers bring in former Wild GM (nine mediocre seasons, good regular seasons but nothing in the playoffs) Chuck Fletcher, to try and right their ship … giving up on Hextall after four seasons … they need a reliable goalie … would be sorry to see coach Dave Hakstol go … after he came from college coaching at North Dakota and got the Flyers into the playoffs … they need to give him better players before they give up on him as their coach.. they have a bad mix of pricey vets and unproven kids.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '18

Speaking for all the local teams, thank you Ryan Reaves, Tom Wilson just got Tom Wilsoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNcItuc-cc

Denis Denis
Dec '18

Give it some time and NHL will police itself. Wilson got his payback, he’s only due a few more times.
There's so little checking now you gotta fight (not really, just a scrum cause even fighting suks now) when you throw a hard hit.

NHL to Seattle in 2021. Go Emeralds go!

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '18

How about "sticking" it to the NBA and calling them the Supersonics LOL … actually, Emeralds is the best name, truly a name for a Seattle team (the Emerald City) … Seattle did win the Stanley Cup back in 1917...surprised the baseball and football teams never picked up on it … the first time they had MLB baseball they called the team The Pilots and they were one of the worst teams ever... moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '18

"I went to the fights last night and a hockey game broke out" - - - Rodney Dangerfield

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Dec '18

Not very much fighting anymore -- the Broad Street Bullies were so 40 years ago, as was the movie Slapshot (still an all-time classic, so funny :-D)

Watched the Penguins vs. Islanders the other night -- Crosby is still SO GOOD … continues to amaze.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '18

And it's JvR to Nolan Patrick!! Come from behind, never give up.

Seven straight!!

Nice ceremony pregame for 94 cup winners at MSG tonight. If it takes 54 years again I might be here but too old to care.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '19

Bungee Gritty??? Glowing neon?

Lauren Hart - classy. The rest - not so much. And I'm a fan... ;-)

Re: 2018-19 NHL Season

Thanks for everything Zucarello, Trade one of your most popular players who gave his heart and soul for the team for conditional 2 & 3 round picks. Unbelievable!!. Look for McQuaid and Hayes to go next for a conditional 7th round pick, and a bag of pucks.

Denis Denis
Feb '19

Yes, the trade is a head scratcher! Makes you wonder what direction the team is headed.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

The Stars overpaid for Zucarello, can't blame the Rangers. He's a UFA. He's a three month rent-a-player. Next year he can be right back with the Rangers and they have the picks to show for it. One single pick is all that players in that situation are worth.

I hear what your saying GC, but who knows where he will end up. He is one player I would have liked them to resign before free agency.

Denis Denis
Feb '19

They'll have to out-bid other teams for someone they developed. He'll be in demand.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

Emotionally I am angry about the trade as well but I get it.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '19

Not as good as the Phillies Phanatic jumping from an airplane and sky diving on opening day at Veterans Stadium back in 1993, but much better than the infamous Kite Man back in the 70s... a disaster from which no amount of redemption could be claimed … I'm talking about Gritty's stunt at tonight's outdoor game at Philly.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

Zuuuuuuuc! That didn’t quite make me feel better. Loved his energy.

NJIT Grad NJIT Grad
Feb '19

Exactly Andy. That's why it's no head scratcher. But Denis understand they had that chance already and didn't do it. That means it's not happening. So the Rangers did exactly what is in their best interests. Get what they can and cut their loses.

Zuuuuuc!
Hayes was scratched tonite as well.
They continue the rebuild they started last year. At least they kicked NJ arse tonite.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '19

Zucarello now out at least a month after blocking a shot. Tough break for him and the Stars.

Denis Denis
Feb '19

Getting a second and conditional third for Zuc was a steal for the Rangers. Zuc and Jamie Benn were both injured today for the Stars.

D's 4
Feb '19

Starts tonite. Future champs TB vs Col.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '19

Again, it is looking like being the best regular season team is a post-season curse :(

Case in point, the Washington Caps … among others.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '19

How bout those Islanders.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '19

Old time hockey!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '19

The Islanders are amazing this year. Just goes to show what a difference management can make from the GM to the coach. Pretty much the same team, minus Tavares, and with cast off Goalie. Love watching Barzal play, such high energy, and skill.

Denis Denis
Apr '19

TB = biggest disappointment ever. 1st season champ to be sweeped in 1st round.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '19

An Image to help all you lost dog HL’rs understand Tampa’s fail

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '19

I was happy to see Tampa Bay lose, along with some of my least favorite X-Rangers. Speaking of X-Rangers I'm glad to see Zucarello back, and doing well for the Stars. Also loved seeing the Pens swept!!

Denis Denis
Apr '19

Vigneault, who led the Rangers to the President's Trophy in 15, is the new head coach for the Philly Flyers.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '19

Interesting first round to say the least! Stanley cup champs out after round one, and Tavares will be watching the Islanders play on his couch.

Denis Denis
Apr '19

After the Caps looked so dominant in winning 6-0 in game five at home, it's a shocker that they would lose games 6 and 7 (at home, yet) … you never know in the playoffs!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '19

Blues!?
Wow impressive and interesting season.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '19

Congrats to the Blues on their first Stanley Cup win! Amazing game! Congrats to the people of St. Louis and Missouri. I know first hand how excited they were about this season. Cheers to all my friends at the St. James VFW and Perryville American Legion, this drink is for you!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

A co-worker who passed away recently was a big Bruins fan... so I was a little disappointed but congratulations to all the St Louis fans out there

ianimal ianimal
Jun '19

Glad to see the Blues win one, and a Boston team not win. Watching Berube in his playing days, I never would have pictured him as a stanley cup coach.

Denis Denis
Jun '19

I enjoyed watching. Usually pull for the Eastern team in the final, but found myself cheering for the "old time hockey" Blues. I'm old enough to remember when the NHL expanded from six teams to 12 … that was when the Flyers, Pens, Kings, Blues all came in. The Blues lost to the Bruins and Bobby Orr in the 1970 Cup final, I remember seeing that final goal on TV.

Blues were so amazing on the road and the goalie was in the zone, so dialed in. Yes, hard to believe a player like Berube could become such a winning coach … goes to show, if people have the right mental make up and willingness, they can learn and get better with experience :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '19

And the Blues... Wonder if Emile Francis was there. Used to go to the Ranger games in the 70s with my dad. Was glad to see the Blues win. On to next year!

Acl76 Acl76
Jun '19

Emile "The Cat" Francis … I saw some Rangers games in "The Old Garden" back in the mid 60s with a few friends … my dad never cared for hockey.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '19

The Rags drafted Kaapo Kakko 2nd overall. I'm excited... I think he's gonna be a good one.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '19

Last time they drafted this high they got Brad Park :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '19

Artemi Panarin -- $81-plus mil for 7 years, to jack up the Rangers' scoring from the wing -- he's 27 and had 59 assists to help Columbus make the playoffs and then knock off Tampa last season -- good deal or what?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '19

Andy - Panarin is roughly Kreider. Good, not great. He's a reliable 30 goal a season guy. The problem is they've got to get rid of Kreider now in order to make up that BIG cap hit. $11 mill a year for something they're getting from Krieder for a lot less may not be the wisest move. The only way it really would be a big impact is if they could keep both. If they were getting a 40 goal a year guy, it would definitely be worth it. If it weren't for the cap problem they now have, it would be great because they haven't given up any players for it. As it is, more players than just Vesey are headed out. All the other teams now know they'll take way less in a trade just because they've got cap trouble.

Just curious if any other old time Ranger fans, or anyone follows Sean Avery on Instagram. Love him or hate him it's hilarious. Eventually he is going to either end up in jail or a hospital.

Denis Denis
Jul '19

I watched Avery on Boomers show a few months ago, although he was interesting and a bit funny he was looking for confrontations with people. He just seemed unnecessary, trying to be the peoples enforcer.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '19

He seems obsessed with confrontation -- he keeps seeking it --- he needs counseling --I say that with no malice, just would like to see him find peace and get in touch with his inner soul.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '19

Andy - I looked at some of his guest appearances. I'd say he's obsessed with control - and that's what leads to confrontation. Otherwise I agree it's not funny at all and he needs help.

Maybe I need counseling, but I loved him as a Ranger, and I think his instagram feed is funny.

Denis Denis
Jul '19

He certainly was exciting as a player --- but the transition to life after the spotlight is gone, can be troublesome for some people. Not everyone gets to be a broadcast analyst or coach for the rest of his life.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.