Education through Legislation

Perhaps it’s just my natural leanings to notice but it seems to me that education-through-legislation is becoming more and more commo place these days. Bwlow is the current story that made me think about it again, but the thought is a somewhat regular occurrence:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article216375685.html

Anyone else noticing the same?

justintime justintime
Aug '18

Just another example of "we are the government; we know better than you do what's good for you- and ESPECIALLY your children."

Same old song & dance... I'm sure $$ is going into someone's pocket from the dairy and bottled water industry on this one...

And I'm not against the CONCEPT. There's nothing good in soda except for the taste (man, I love it!), BUT... you will not tell me what I can & can't put in my mouth, and that goes double for my kids. It's like Bloomberg's "large soda ban" on steroids (and that was for EVERYONE, not just children)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '18

So who cares!!!
My 5 year old knows that plain milk or water is better .
Get government OUT of your life!!
Pack your own lunches, and say NO to the "health program" that starts in Kindergarten, telling our kids a lot of crap.
Ketchup is not a vegetable!
And at age 5, kids do not need to be taught about "alternative marriages" or possible gender " mistakes".
Less government, more common sense. Don't overwhelm the kids. Teach them math and reading.
And manners would be good...

Older Mom Older Mom
Aug '18

They don’t even teach script, or cursive, as we called it back in the last century. Remember the dotted lines we had to follow, starting in the second grade? Now? Computers only. Most people, who attended catholic school, have the best handwriting . Technology is great to learn, also, however I believe children should be taught basic reading, hand writing and math (where they actually have to show their work.....not just the answer). Kids need to know how to read a paper map, use a compass and be able to survive when the EMP flare fries their safety nets, for months or even years.
Do they still teach Drivers education or how to fill out a 1040 tax return, by hand, in high school, anymore?

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Aug '18

Yeah,yeah.
Childhood obesity if off the tracks.
Parents doing a GREAT job.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '18

Monkey see monkey do Stymie?

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

justintime justintime
Aug '18

In the scheme of things, this should really not be a biggee IMO. Sure, we can hem and haw about government control, but which is the better master --- government or McDonalds? Or maybe we should move into JIT-world and solve for root cause ending the problem forever. Just legislate NO MORE FOOD BUNDLES --- ONLY ALA CARTE. Problem solved. Just kidding JIT, but that would solve the problem, yes?

On this one though, nothing is really being forced on folks, there are ordering alternatives, and in a marketing sense, this law could allow vendors to sell more sodas than ever if they used clever pricing techniques..... I mean they could:

Happy Meal = $1
Happy Meal sans water plus soda = $.90.

No one is telling them they have to charge more for the options.

All the bill says is that "if you bundle, then you must default to healthy." Not quite the draconian "thou shall have no big gulp ---- ever."

I wonder how they feel about Splenda? Is that water or is it soda?

I just needed two days to get over a week's worth of Fair food. Apparently time and healthier eating has taken it's toll and now those funnel cakes, bloomin onions, fried everything, caramel corns, chicken in pita, hamburgs, and brats are taking their toll..... had a plate of sautéed mushrooms and ate nothing else one night ----- how did they bulk-out the mushrooms? All tasty though....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '18

“On this one though, nothing is really being forced on folks”

So if nothing is being forced on folks what is the point of the legislation? Why bother doing it at all?

justintime justintime
Aug '18

Yes, “Manners would be good”. This way we would not have children growing up to be rude adults who go around denigrating gay and transgender people.

PublicExplosionBeef PublicExplosionBeef
Aug '18

Instead of legislating what can or cannot be eaten, how about the government makes sure we are not poisoned by companies like Monsanto and DuPont and any and all chemical giants?

OlMom your post makes no sense after reading what you wrote in the thread about the woman whining about the brat monster she created. this is what you posted there

>>>If you think he may be doing drugs, you can mention this to his high school guidance counselor, and they can drug test him ( if you sign a form) if they think he is behaving in a way that suggest he is using drugs or alcohol.<<<

here you post , say no, take care of things yourself but in the other thread you post let them take care of it.

"Instead of legislating what can or cannot be eaten, how about the government makes sure we are not poisoned by companies like Monsanto and DuPont and any and all chemical giants?"

+1000

Aug '18

JR --- why the either/or, why not both?

JIT --- Since I can not move you from "all laws are force," I will let you answer your own rhetoricals, tyvm

But like I said, in the scheme of things, not a biggee, it has ready alternatives so "force" is not absolute, more like a gentle hint than a 2x4 to the temple. There are bigger fish to fry, even in CA....:>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '18

“Since I can not move you from "all laws are force," I will let you answer your own rhetoricals”

Umm, there’s nothing to “move” because it is what it is. I suggest you test your own hypothesis that all laws are NOT force - I can guarantee that the lesson learned would not be pleasant ;-)

justintime justintime
Aug '18

“"Instead of legislating what can or cannot be eaten, how about the government makes sure we are not poisoned by companies like Monsanto and DuPont and any and all chemical giants?"

+1000”

JR liked that comment. “Deregulation” is one of Trump’s favorite, “big boy”, words, especially when it comes to the EPA and the environment.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Aug '18

"Instead of legislating what can or cannot be eaten, how about the government makes sure we are not poisoned by companies like Monsanto and DuPont and any and all chemical giants?"

They wouldn't dare... and lose all that $$$ from the lobbying and taxes those giants bring in?!?! We are a financial oligarchy now. Profits over people. A sad state of affairs. And if you dig into this story, I'm sure you will find that somebody's pockets are being lined or a hand or two is being greased.

somechik somechik
Aug '18

Guilty-R...

Your comments only illustrate your ASSumption of what people think on every subject based on who they voted for makes you an...

Aug '18

Proper role of government:

The protection of its citizens life, liberty and property from harm, injury or loss due to the actions of other citizens or even the government itself.

Should Monsanto be regulated/punished fir bringing harm to the public? You betcha. But ONLY with evidence proving it (which, in my mind, there is)

justintime justintime
Aug '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.