Dogs left outside to bark and annoy

So I got a neibor who leaves there dogs outside only to scare anyone who walks by. What should I do. ? Call animal control?
I've been a nice neibor but I'm getting tired of it.
They rent...I own
Do I call their landlord?
Or ask them politely as a neibor should .
Really dont know them but I've been nice for past couple years since they got here and their dogs.

Cosmo99 Cosmo99
Aug '18

You should get to know them since you're a nice neighbor. How do you know they intend to scare people? Maybe the dogs just aren't socialized and are barking to protect their territory. Have they hurt anyone?
Renting vs owning? Why is that relevant? Everyone is entitled to a roof over their head.
If it's been a few years then befriending your neighbor is long past due.

Dogsbarkpeopletalk Dogsbarkpeopletalk
Aug '18

Depending on what time. After 7 a.m. and before 11 p.m. they can BARC their little hearts out

Older Mom Older Mom
Aug '18

Are they out all day? With this heat I believe it is illegal to leave pets outside for extended periods of time. Call the animal control officer and let her handle it.

thecatsmeow thecatsmeow
Aug '18

try talking to them again..

Waldo's mom Waldo's mom
Aug '18

Go over there and pet the dog. Bring him an apple.

I’m pretty sure this post is about my dog,
No you have not been a nice neighbor at all, I take my dog for a walk then leave him outside with food and water for 1 to 2 hours because he loves being outside , and no I don’t leave him to scare people he is a very friendly dog.

I usually bring him out twice during the day around noon and again around 5 pm
You scream “shut up” when he starts barking, I don’t think that is nice.
sometimes my kids open the door and my puppy manages to run out of my house of course without a leash, because I don’t have him on a leash inside the house, what do you do ? You scream at me “there is a law in NJ , you have to have your dog on a leash” “ I will call animal control” “you will get a fine” and I can keep on going...

No body tells you anything when you leave your dog outside and barks at everyone that goes past your house , what did you tell me last summer when your dog was outside and my two girls were riding their bikes ?
“Can you tell them to ride somewhere else, because my dog keeps barking” they are free to ride their bikes anywhere they want as long as they’re not stepping on your property.

If you call this being nice then you have been VERY nice to us.

And I’m sorry if you are not the person I think you are.

C.R.R C.R.R
Aug '18

Alot of people have issues in this thread

Bug3
Aug '18

Good luck to both parties-
If you don't already CRR, exercise your dog consistently/daily for not only its well-being, but so that it might be less reactive and less likely to bark. Barking, unless alerting behavior, is usually due to boredom/lack of stimulation and exercise.
A brisk hour walk, a 30 minute jog (or more for working breeds), in addition to games of fetch, tug, etc can help prevent many unwanted behaviors and make for happier dogs and neighbors.

happy dogs
Aug '18

Happy dogs - great advice.

I

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Aug '18

In my previous home I had a neighbor who had a dog who was left outside barking nonstop all day long. It was during daytime hours, but it was constant. Their yard butted up against our yard which was where my bedrooms were. I had a baby at the time and her sleep was constantly interrupted by the barking. I did speak to them nicely and they apologized, but said they planned on keeping the dog outside. As much as I didn't want to report them, my baby's sleep overrode my desire to not cause trouble and I did call the police. They came and parked in front of my house for 30 minutes while the dog barked nonstop. They then went to the house and the next thing I saw was the woman taking the dog into the house and the problem stopped. Needless to say, we never became friends.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Aug '18

I agree about the leash comment though. I have a dog that can be dog aggressive and the most stressful situations have been when a dog got loose from its owner and ran up to us. He has been attacked a few times like this and is now on guard when he sees a loose strange dog. So please, for the safety of all dogs and humans, maintain control at all times. Dog fights are not pretty.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Aug '18

What rude neighbors . Letting a dog bark like this is animal cruelty . Obviously the dog is very unhappy at that residence. .

animal  lover animal lover
Aug '18

I had neighbors like that in Mansfield.I called the police dept.and they were issued a summons and had to appear in court and pay a fine.No one has to listen to a dog bark day or night.It is a quality of life issue.Usually a court appearance will solve the problem.

Boomer 50 Boomer 50
Aug '18

I need to comment on this old forum. A neighbor, although I am not definitely sure who it is, leaves their dog(s) out to bark nonstop. Last night it was 3:30 AM TO 4:30 AM! then again at 5 am to 5:15 am, 6:18 am for a few mins and then at 7 am for a few minutes. I have no issue when it is after 7 am and before 9 pm but during the middle of the night?! We live on a street where the houses aren't very close (in Allamuchy) but it is a valley so the barking noise carries. It woke me at 3:30 am this morning and I can't sleep as the barking goes on for an hour! It is not all the time but the times it is, it is bad as we need our sleep! I am not 100% sure if it's one neighbor or several but we have lived here for 11 years and it's only been in the last year. I have read that dogs don't like to be left out alone especially in the cold and it was cold last night. We have a dog and are dog lovers but I truly don't think dogs like to be left outside for long amounts of time. I found this online:

Why Dogs Bark: Stop Excessive Barking - WebMD
pets.webmd.com/.../guide/understanding-why-dogs-bark
Attention Seeking: Dogs often bark when they want something, such as going outside, playing, or getting a treat. Separation Anxiety /Compulsive Barking: Dogs with separation anxiety often bark excessively when left alone.
My Dog Barks Non-Stop. What can I do? | Ruff Ideas
www.happytailsspa-blog.com/2009/12/21/my-dog-barks-non...
There are many reasons why a dog will bark non-stop, such as: *Having pent-up energy *Being improperly confined, such as a dog being locked outside in the rain *Hearing noises such Causes of Excessive Barking Even though most people can handle a barking dog, it is when the barking becomes excessive that problems arise.

I guess this is a vent but also a forum to see what others think. I guess if it continues, I need to figure out which neighbor and address it with them.

no sleep no sleep
Oct '18

Personally, I would keep a pair of earplugs by my bed and use them when I needed to.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

You should try talking with the neighbor, nicely...

Allowing a dog to bark in the middle of the night or all day long is not allowed. Call the police. End of story.

9-5. Disturbing the Peace.
No person shall make, continue or cause to be made or continued any unnecessary or unusual
sound which either annoys, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health or safety of others,
unless the making and continuing of the same be necessary for the protection or preservation of
property or of the health, safety, life or limb of some person or persons. (10-24-61 s5)
No person shall be noisy or shall display disorderly conduct, disturb or interfere with the quiet
or good order of any place of assembly, public or private, including schools, churches, libraries and
reading rooms. (10-24-61 s6)9-6.

6-10. Control of Dogs.
(a) No person shall suffer any dog, licensed or unlicensed, to run at large upon any of the
streets or public places of the Town or upon the property of any other person.
(b) No person owning, harboring, keeping, walking or in charge of any dog shall cause,
suffer, permit or allow such dog to soil, defile, defecate on, or commit any nuisance on any common
thoroughfare, street, sidewalk, passageway, road, bypath, play area, park or any place where people
congregate or walk in this Town, or upon any public property whatsoever, or upon any private
property without the permission of the owner of the private property in the last instance. If any such
person shall permit such dog to soil, defile, defecate on, or commit any nuisance on the areas
aforesaid, he or she shall immediately remove all feces and droppings deposited by such dog, which
removal shall be in a sanitary manner by shovel, container, disposal bag, etc. and said feces and
droppings shall be removed by said person from the aforesaid designated areas and disposed of by
said person in a sanitary manner.

CHAPTER 6C ANIMAL WELFARE (3-19-17)
Chapter 6C-1. Definitions
Animal - shall mean any dog or cat.
Cat - Any animal of the feline species, male or female or altered.
Dog - shall mean any dog, bitch or spayed bitch.
6C-2. Chaining or Tethering of Animals.
Animals shall not be chained, tied, fastened or otherwise tethered to dog houses, trees, stakes,
poles, fences, walls, or any other stationary object outdoors as a means of confinement for
more than six (6) hours during a twenty-four (24) hour period. The tether or chain must be at
least fifteen (15) feet in length and positioned to prevent tangling and hanging; animals must
be able to move freely when chained or tethered. Animals must be equipped with properly fitted
harness or buckle type collar. Shelter, water, and food shall be accessible to the animal while
chained, tied, fastened, or tethered.
6C-3. Extreme Weather.
In extreme weather, below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees, animals shall not
be left outside for more than fifteen (15) minutes during a three (3) hour
period.
6C-4. Violations.
a. Any person who violates or fails or refuses to comply with this Chapter, shall be
liable to a penalty of not more than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) for the first
offense, Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) for a second offense, Five Hundred
Dollars ($500.00) for a third offense, and for any subsequent offense One
Thousand Dollars ($1000.00), not more than ninety (90) days in jail, and not more
than ninety (90) days of community service. Each day of violation shall be
considered a separate offense.
b. The provisions of this Chapter may be enforced by the Animal Control Officer and
the Hackettstown Police Department.

nutty nutty
Oct '18

Separation Anxiety /Compulsive Barking: Dogs with separation anxiety often bark excessively when left alone.

I'm sure there is some holistic dog therapist that can help with this for 150/hr...

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

Thank you Nutty! I may print that for future use. Also, I spoke too quickly when I said It wasn't all the time as this week was every night! I feel if your dog has anxiety; why would the owners leave them outside in the dark for long amounts of time? I feel really bad for the dog. I tried ear plugs ianimal; no luck, I can still here the dog. I recall hearing something legally about quiet enjoyment in your own home? I pray the owners read this and stop leaving the dog out at all times of the night barking. Otherwise, we will have to approach the owner/neighbors. Thanks for all the comments,

no sleep no sleep
Nov '18

It never ceases to amaze me how some dog owners can leave a barking dog outside and it doesn't bother them, however it can be heard by neighbors. You'd think the owner would be annoyed as well and bring the dog back inside.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Nov '18

Long ago I made a call to the police - same dog was left out all seasons all night- It stopped after my call...................

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

That is correct 4 catmom.It doesn't even pay to talk to someone that leaves their dog out all night.Call the police and let them handle it.

Boomer 50 Boomer 50
Nov '18

Get a loud speaker, and blurt it toward the dog barking neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam01uaj6Vg&start_radio=1&list=RDxam01uaj6Vg&t=11

Mom hated this when it was played on the radio. I think it was "60"'s music along with the "One eyed; One horned; Yellow Purple People Eater!"

Embryodad Embryodad
Nov '18

Yes Boobalaa we think the same! Isn't the dog keeping them up?!! 4catmom and boomer 50 I am hoping I don't have to call the police; hoping they read this forum :). But if it continues, I will. Thanks all. Let's hope this forum reaches my neighbors and any others that leave their dogs out barking....

no sleep no sleep
Nov '18

There's a much more annoying song than Purple People Eater . Yoko Ono and the Plastic Ono band recorded a song called Why and it's equally annoying answer Why Not . Now I know why her last name is Oh-no and why the Beatles broke up !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb0TsSIqI0

Or if that is too much ( I believe people did LSD and went legally insane from that song) just go with Surfin Bird on a continuous loop .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4

97XBAM 97XBAM
Nov '18

Many years ago, I blasted the Dead Kennedys "Chemical Warfare" on an annoying downstairs neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5fKFFqJe4

No exaggeration, but the guy ran screaming out of his apartment, sped off in his car—AND got a speeding ticket less than one mile down the street!

Courtney1
Nov '18

What about INDOOR dogs? I've had to listen to my neighbor's dog bark ALL day yesterday (I work from home) and all day today it's howling and also barking. It's constant, not just off and on. My condo in PV is next to their unit and their dog is like they are living with me.

Sometimes, the owner(s) is home all day. Today, I have no idea. I just know it's driving me up the wall. When do you get to the point of complaining? I have ZERO peace and quiet in my own home. NONE. It seems unfair to let your dog bark all day long. What if I put a radio on full blast all day for them? GRRRR. Sorry. Need to vent, because I'm just so frustrated that I can't concentrate or get a moment of peace and damn quiet. The people haven't been there that long, but, man this is really, really annoying.

You hate to leave a note and you hate to go to HOA and such, but when is enough enough? I love dogs, by the way. Love em, but I shouldn't be hostage to listening to a constant loud bark. I'd be willing to take it for a walk myself.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

Really?

Victor23w1 Victor23w1
Jun '19

DogDayAfternoon- How frustrating! Did you report it to the HOA yet? Did you get any results??? I also live in a condo in Mansfield and have a HUGE issue with inconsiderate people who have no problem with having their dogs unleashed. I have spoken with them, argued with them, called the police (who did NOTHING - and the dog was unleashed right in front of the officer! The resolution as per the police is to just said to stay away from each other..), and reported it numerous times to HOA.The HOA sent out a warning letter and then claimed they "fined" them....it must have not been enough of a fine because they continue on. I spoke to HOA again, they said to just keep calling every time I see them... honestly, that would be EVERY SINGLE DAY! So.... I get it. I lived here for over 20 years...never a problem until now. Makes me want to leave. Ugh

Berespectful Berespectful
Jun '19

DogDay - I believe I'd leave a note- saying - you have no way of knowing this but.....

I called a neighbor at work some time ago because the dog was outside barking non-stop - seems her kids were home and had left the dog out - she nicely called home and had them bring in the dog---Anyway it doesn't hurt to politely notify them.........

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '19

"I'd be willing to take it for a walk myself."

DogDay - That might be just the right approach. Start with telling your neighbor you want to help them and the dog. If you say you want to walk them from the start, that can go over so much better than what sounds like a complaint. "Hi, can I help with your dog" sounds a heck of a lot better than "OMG, your *#!@&^ mutt needs to shut up". ;-)

We live in a very quiet development. Houses are spread out. There’s one dog, that has a high pitch bark. It’s left outside for several hours in the morning and in the evening. Barks the ENTIRE time...especially on the weekends. So many other dogs around here, but that’s the only one everyone can hear, throughout the development. The other dogs only bark, when someone walks by or whatever. We have roosters crowing at dawn, but we are far enough for them to not be annoying. GC gave great advice.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jun '19

Thanks. It's not like I'd be snotty about it. It's just hard to be tactful when you know someone is obviously oblivious to it. I have people from work ask about 'my dog'. I have to say I don't have one. LOL LOL They just hear it bark on the phone. I can't muffle the sound because it's that loud in here. This time of year, people also keep windows open or a door. It's the type that barks for an hour over a leaf, let alone another dog or person going by. I just climb the walls. I just feel like I'm subjected to ongoing noise that I can't control. I run my AC all the time to try to muffle it a bit. $ucks for me. LOL Thanks everyone for letting me vent.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

I actually don’t have a dog... And if I did I would not leave it outside to bark!! Or I wouldn’t let my dog go to the bathroom in someone else’s yard.... I don’t know, I guess I’m funny that way... People are just so rude I think, when they let their dogs bark and use my yard to do their business.... Let them go in your yard, not mine!!! Live out in the woods if you want to leave your dog outside to bark all night!! Take responsibility if you have a dog...

Havaclue Havaclue
Jun '19

I once had three dogs and when the contractor doing the bathroom came over he would bring his dog over. Unbeknownst to me, he would let all of them out in our back fenced in woods and they barked all day long! Only found out because a neighbor who we used to be friendly with left an almost incoherent rant on my answering machine saying she wanted to “slit their damn throats”. I was literally traumatized by her message. We went immediately to her house and apologized and said you should have let us know sooner and her response was, I’m glad you came but you know I can have those dogs taken away from you (she couldn’t). Well, that pissed me off to no end. I saved that message and thought about filing a police report for making terroristic threats. Thanks for letting me vent. But back to your situation, please let your neighbor know before you get to the end of your rope.

I was going to say don’t assume they know their dog barks all day. We used to live in a wooded area
And moved to a development I made sure to tell
My neighbors I wanted to hear from them if my dogs were barking when i wasn’t home bc I can’t stand dogs barking and wouldn’t want my neighbors to listen to it.

Nosila Nosila
Jun '19

If you live close others (apartment/condo/townhouse) unfortunately that comes with sacrifices due to close quarters.

If you want no compromises, it comes when you own your own home, with enough space on all sides to not hear or bother your neighbors.

It also comes with it's own costs and sacrifices- I spent all day today on my roofs cleaning gutters and my roofs- and will do so tomorrow as well- but my dog can bark all it wants and bother no-one. I am also about to pay contractors a 6-figure exterior project which is only a small part of what I need to do to maintain my home.

You want to live cheaper, you need to give up somethings- and often that means peace and quiet.

Wow RAS your neighbor sounds stable...

I simply take my dogs to Jersey Mikes and let them bark up a storm. LOL

LMAO Greg! Good one!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

I fined people out side talking annoying

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6fgssaxJBQ

Check this out..... Debarking for annoying dog barking.

BTW... personally, I would rather listen to a dog barking, than have to listen to the wife yapping!

Embryodad Embryodad
Jun '19

Josh you make some really great points! Everything has a cost.

Debbie Polson Debbie Polson
Jun '19

Embryodad, I hope you’re kidding. I used to walk dogs when I lived in the city and I cared for a sweet Sheltie who’s previous owners had this done to her. It was so sad and inhumane. I know that there aren’t many veterinarians that would do this without a medical issue but any that do should lose their license.

Bigheart Bigheart
Jun '19

Josh: cheaper? It's not cheap, but I get what you're saying. It was quiet when I moved in. It was very quiet. Now, not so much. LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

Cheaper doesn’t mean cheap. It mean cheaper than living in close proximity.

Debbie Polson Debbie Polson
Jun '19

DogDayAfternoon, just writing to commiserate. I went through a similar situation while I was in law school. I lived in an apartment and the neighbors upstairs had a large loud dog that spent most of the day barking and/or lunging at the door. It was really terrible. Leaving notes didn't really get me anywhere, nor did contacting the property manager. Eventually, and at my expense, I had to move to a non-pet building because I couldn't take it anymore. I hope you find peace and quiet easier than I did.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.