Spotted Lantern Fly found in Warren County

NJDA and USDA APHIS confirms that the SPOTTED LANTERN FLY has been found in Warren County NJ: https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/news/press/2018/approved/press180717.html

The Department is asking for everyone’s help in identifying areas where low numbers of this insect may be.

Residents can email pictures of suspect insects to SLF-plantindustry@ag.nj.gov or call the New Jersey Spotted Lanternfly Hotline at 1-833-223-2840 (BAD-BUG-0) and leave a message detailing your sighting and contact information.

There are additional pictures and information of this insect at the following link https://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/divisions/pi/prog/spottedlanternfly.html.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '18

Thanks for the info! News 12 mentioned them the other day, but just said "look out for them" with no other information.

somechik somechik
Jul '18

Yes. I posted an article on it in the Warren County in the News thread.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

That's been all over the PA news stations.

Re: Spotted Lantern Fly found in Warren County

Is this a young lantern fly? We’ve never seen anything like it before. It was kind of like a hummingbird the way it’s wings flapped. Very hard to get a picture of it.

BroadawayNJ BroadawayNJ
Jul '18

That looks like the humming bird moth. The lantern fly is much smaller.

Here is the lantern fly, looks like a moth.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Here is another picture

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Where is that Jesse?

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jul '18

Hmm never heard of a hummingbird moth before. Pretty cool! Thanks!

BroadawayNJ BroadawayNJ
Jul '18

The first Spotted Lantern flys were found in a Christmas tree from Pennsylvania.Here is a link. http://askmarystone.com/dreaded-spotted-lanternfly/

enuff
Jul '18

Google images. But I have seen them in PA, they were all over my father’s tree. I believe it is the larva that kills the tree. They cause a lot of damage.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Not that I condone killing creatures, but the only thing we are supposed to do if we see them is report a sighting? The article states that if you see eggs, is to put them in a double bag (but not kill the adults)?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

Those lantern bugs are narly looking. They probably came off a shipping container, from China, hidden in a bunch of MAGA hats. We were lucky enough to inherit their stupid stink bugs, also believed to have started spreading in PA. I guess it’s the ol’ gaslight routine, again. I appreciate this information. If I see one, I’ll now know what it is. Extra credit for the photos, Jesse.
I hope we don’t get those giant Asian wasps....the ones that are bigger than a hummingbird. So....how should we return the favor? LOL!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '18

Why should we not kill the adults if they are killing our trees? It doesn’t make any sense to let an invasive species continue to reproduce and cause damage.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

No explanation here about why to be concerned?

Fred B
Jul '18

Here is the article--still does not say why to be concerned- I am guessing it eats the trees????
SPOTTED LANTERNFLY SIGHTING CONFIRMED IN NEW JERSEY
spotted lanternfly - Click to enlarge

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 17, 2018
www.nj.gov/agriculture
PO Box 330
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0330

Jeff Wolfe
P: (609) 633-2954
C: (609) 433-1785
E: jeff.wolfe@ag.state.nj.us

Invasive Pest Identified in Warren County

(TRENTON) – New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture Douglas H. Fisher today announced that New Jersey Department of Agriculture and United States Department of Agriculture personnel confirmed the first sighting of the spotted lanternfly in New Jersey. The sighting was made in portions of Warren County recently.

The species is currently in its nymph stage and is likely to be either black or red with white spots. The spotted lanternfly, which is native to China, India, Vietnam and East Asia, was first located in Pennsylvania in 2014 and has spread to 13 counties there. The pest prefers Tree of Heaven as its host.

The New Jersey sighting was made on Tree Heaven, which were treated to help prevent the spreading of the pest. Surveillance will continue in that immediate area as well as along the Delaware River border. Department field crews have been conducting surveys for this insect along the New Jersey-Pennsylvania border since 2014, from Warren to Burlington Counties with no previous findings

The spotted lanternfly has a history of being an excellent hitchhiker, having the ability to stay connected to vehicles that travel across state borders. The insect’s movement into new areas happens through the relocation of adults, nymphs or egg masses. The NJDA and USDA asks everyone who travels to and from Pennsylvania inspect their vehicles for the insect before returning to New Jersey.

The spotted lanternfly makes use of over 70 different plant species, including fruit trees, ornamental trees, woody trees, vegetables, herbs and vines, including agricultural crops like grapes. The lanternfly in its currents stage is about a half-inch to three-quarter of an inch long.

The Department is asking for everyone’s help in identifying areas where low numbers of this insect may be. Residents can email pictures of suspect insects to SLF-plantindustry@ag.nj.gov or call the New Jersey Spotted Lanternfly Hotline at 1-833-223-2840 (BAD-BUG-0) and leave a message detailing your sighting and contact information. For more information about this insect go to https://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/divisions/pi/prog/spottedlanternfly.html

Fred B
Jul '18

Pic is from google - adult fly.

Fred B
Jul '18

It is destroying many different kinds of crops and trees.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

broadway nj, that looks like a sphinx moth

kimberlysea kimberlysea
Jul '18

I've been seeing a lot of small black mite-looking things with white polka dots. upon investigation, it seems these may be lanternfly nymphs. is anyone else noticing a lot of these around?

Ianimal, it most likely is. It is hard to tell from your photo. If you look at Fred B's picture and exchange the red color with black, that is what is around now. Their next stage is to get the red coloring. It is highly recommended to kill everyone you see. One thing, they are very good jumpers!

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
2 weeks ago

It is hard to tell from the pic but that may be a carpet beetle. I just found one and it looked like that if the dots are more of a zigzag pattern. Also bad in numbers.

Ianimal, this was taken today in Phillipsburg. It is a lantern fly nymph. There were a bunch of them.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
1 week ago

I work in Allentown. Two years ago there were just a few. Last year they were thousands just plied up in front of every business and home, and landing on you everywhere you walked. They had town workers constantly killing them, but it didn't make much difference. They don't bite or sting, or smell (like stick bugs do), so they're pretty much just a nuisance, but a huge nuisance at at that. It was inevitable that that would spread to here. End of July through September is when they are flying (or long-distance hopping).

@Rich,

As household pests they're just a nuisance, but for fruit trees, grape vines, etc they can be absolutely disastrous. Not just for gardens, but for farms, vineyards, orchards, etc. If you see one just squash em, folks.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
1 week ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.