Spotted Lantern Fly found in Warren County

NJDA and USDA APHIS confirms that the SPOTTED LANTERN FLY has been found in Warren County NJ: https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/news/press/2018/approved/press180717.html

The Department is asking for everyone’s help in identifying areas where low numbers of this insect may be.

Residents can email pictures of suspect insects to SLF-plantindustry@ag.nj.gov or call the New Jersey Spotted Lanternfly Hotline at 1-833-223-2840 (BAD-BUG-0) and leave a message detailing your sighting and contact information.

There are additional pictures and information of this insect at the following link https://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/divisions/pi/prog/spottedlanternfly.html.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '18

Thanks for the info! News 12 mentioned them the other day, but just said "look out for them" with no other information.

somechik somechik
Jul '18

Yes. I posted an article on it in the Warren County in the News thread.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

That's been all over the PA news stations.

Re: Spotted Lantern Fly found in Warren County

Is this a young lantern fly? We’ve never seen anything like it before. It was kind of like a hummingbird the way it’s wings flapped. Very hard to get a picture of it.

BroadawayNJ BroadawayNJ
Jul '18

That looks like the humming bird moth. The lantern fly is much smaller.

Here is the lantern fly, looks like a moth.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Here is another picture

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Where is that Jesse?

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jul '18

Hmm never heard of a hummingbird moth before. Pretty cool! Thanks!

BroadawayNJ BroadawayNJ
Jul '18

The first Spotted Lantern flys were found in a Christmas tree from Pennsylvania.Here is a link. http://askmarystone.com/dreaded-spotted-lanternfly/

enuff
Jul '18

Google images. But I have seen them in PA, they were all over my father’s tree. I believe it is the larva that kills the tree. They cause a lot of damage.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Not that I condone killing creatures, but the only thing we are supposed to do if we see them is report a sighting? The article states that if you see eggs, is to put them in a double bag (but not kill the adults)?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

Those lantern bugs are narly looking. They probably came off a shipping container, from China, hidden in a bunch of MAGA hats. We were lucky enough to inherit their stupid stink bugs, also believed to have started spreading in PA. I guess it’s the ol’ gaslight routine, again. I appreciate this information. If I see one, I’ll now know what it is. Extra credit for the photos, Jesse.
I hope we don’t get those giant Asian wasps....the ones that are bigger than a hummingbird. So....how should we return the favor? LOL!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '18

Why should we not kill the adults if they are killing our trees? It doesn’t make any sense to let an invasive species continue to reproduce and cause damage.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

No explanation here about why to be concerned?

Fred B
Jul '18

Here is the article--still does not say why to be concerned- I am guessing it eats the trees????
SPOTTED LANTERNFLY SIGHTING CONFIRMED IN NEW JERSEY
spotted lanternfly - Click to enlarge

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 17, 2018
www.nj.gov/agriculture
PO Box 330
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0330

Jeff Wolfe
P: (609) 633-2954
C: (609) 433-1785
E: jeff.wolfe@ag.state.nj.us

Invasive Pest Identified in Warren County

(TRENTON) – New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture Douglas H. Fisher today announced that New Jersey Department of Agriculture and United States Department of Agriculture personnel confirmed the first sighting of the spotted lanternfly in New Jersey. The sighting was made in portions of Warren County recently.

The species is currently in its nymph stage and is likely to be either black or red with white spots. The spotted lanternfly, which is native to China, India, Vietnam and East Asia, was first located in Pennsylvania in 2014 and has spread to 13 counties there. The pest prefers Tree of Heaven as its host.

The New Jersey sighting was made on Tree Heaven, which were treated to help prevent the spreading of the pest. Surveillance will continue in that immediate area as well as along the Delaware River border. Department field crews have been conducting surveys for this insect along the New Jersey-Pennsylvania border since 2014, from Warren to Burlington Counties with no previous findings

The spotted lanternfly has a history of being an excellent hitchhiker, having the ability to stay connected to vehicles that travel across state borders. The insect’s movement into new areas happens through the relocation of adults, nymphs or egg masses. The NJDA and USDA asks everyone who travels to and from Pennsylvania inspect their vehicles for the insect before returning to New Jersey.

The spotted lanternfly makes use of over 70 different plant species, including fruit trees, ornamental trees, woody trees, vegetables, herbs and vines, including agricultural crops like grapes. The lanternfly in its currents stage is about a half-inch to three-quarter of an inch long.

The Department is asking for everyone’s help in identifying areas where low numbers of this insect may be. Residents can email pictures of suspect insects to SLF-plantindustry@ag.nj.gov or call the New Jersey Spotted Lanternfly Hotline at 1-833-223-2840 (BAD-BUG-0) and leave a message detailing your sighting and contact information. For more information about this insect go to https://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/divisions/pi/prog/spottedlanternfly.html

Fred B
Jul '18

Pic is from google - adult fly.

Fred B
Jul '18

It is destroying many different kinds of crops and trees.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

broadway nj, that looks like a sphinx moth

kimberlysea kimberlysea
Jul '18

I've been seeing a lot of small black mite-looking things with white polka dots. upon investigation, it seems these may be lanternfly nymphs. is anyone else noticing a lot of these around?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '20

Ianimal, it most likely is. It is hard to tell from your photo. If you look at Fred B's picture and exchange the red color with black, that is what is around now. Their next stage is to get the red coloring. It is highly recommended to kill everyone you see. One thing, they are very good jumpers!

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Jun '20

It is hard to tell from the pic but that may be a carpet beetle. I just found one and it looked like that if the dots are more of a zigzag pattern. Also bad in numbers.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Jun '20

Ianimal, this was taken today in Phillipsburg. It is a lantern fly nymph. There were a bunch of them.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Jun '20

I work in Allentown. Two years ago there were just a few. Last year they were thousands just plied up in front of every business and home, and landing on you everywhere you walked. They had town workers constantly killing them, but it didn't make much difference. They don't bite or sting, or smell (like stick bugs do), so they're pretty much just a nuisance, but a huge nuisance at at that. It was inevitable that that would spread to here. End of July through September is when they are flying (or long-distance hopping).

@Rich,

As household pests they're just a nuisance, but for fruit trees, grape vines, etc they can be absolutely disastrous. Not just for gardens, but for farms, vineyards, orchards, etc. If you see one just squash em, folks.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
Jun '20

Seeing them in abundance on Schooley’s Mtn. Killing those I can reach but too many out of reach. Anyone else.

justwondering justwondering
Sep '20

They are here in Hackettstown....

Saw my very first one last Thursday - caught in a spider web on Mountain Ave on the Raceway sign.

I have tons of them in Panther Valley - I live by the woods so they are coming out of there. UGH - Soooo gross.......

Been killing them all summer here in liberty

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Sep '20

The only way to get rid of these things will be removing all Tree of Heaven/Ailanthus invasive plants, their favorite host. These are tough to eradicate but will make the area less hospitable

kepa
Sep '20

A spider got one near me.

Praying mantis also eat them but we don’t need more of those either.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '20

This year is just a taste. Next year they hatch here in big numbers. High in protein- dip 'em in chocolate.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Sep '20

Saw one at Towpath.

Really??? Really???
Sep '20

Merrill Creek is completely infested...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '20

Killed one today while leaving Target on 46.

Found one in the Kenwood section of town today. V

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Sep '20

We've had many for a few months now in Lopatcong. Beautiful insects, but very destructive.

Positive Positive
Sep '20

We noticed a few here and there early in the summer. Now we see them in our yard, front porch, back patio, etc. pretty nearly every day. (Washington Street.) They are extremely hard to kill; they jump fast and far.

Like we didn't already have enough things to worry about....

Monty Monty
Sep '20

I'm just off Musconetcong River Road in Lebanon Twp. I'm killing a dozen or more a day.

Too late. They are here to stay. And expect 10x as many next year.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '20

Above Bob3 on the ridge there were many flying around and landing.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '20

I was kayak fishing on Merrill Creek Reservoir 2 weeks ago and there were millions of them. I reported it to the state and they said they were aware.

tae111 tae111
Sep '20

Killed one in Oakhill today. It took three or four stomps on it to do the job

thehazguy thehazguy
Sep '20

Spider got a second one.

Bagged my first one today at Field of Dreams.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '20

Flamethrowers work...

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Killed hundreds of these yesterday and today. We are inundated here. They are selective in which trees they infest, and they also like to attach to the brick walls.

Yikes.

Bob3 - What trees did you find them on? How did you kill them?

htwnnjresident
Sep '20

Spotted several in Warren Village behind my home. Tough to kill. Any suggestions?

In my case most of the SLFs were on an oak tree. A pecan tree on the opposite side of the property had quite a few, also, but not nearly as many as the oak. They seem to ignore some trees altogether.

We used a product called Amdro Quick Kill. It's available on Amazon. It was on the NJ DEPs recommended treatment list for homeowners. You can find the list of recs on this site: https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/pi/prog/spottedlanternfly.html

Scroll down to treatment options for homeowners and you can download a PDF.

This was taken on September 5th on my property in Stroudsburg.......YIKES!

Darrin Darrin
Sep '20

Darrin/ how did you eradicate that plague?

Stymie Stymie
Oct '20

i had one in my apartment in Mansfield village tonight and I killed it.

nicosa nicosa
Oct '20

Darrin ,You can put Dawn dish detergent and water in spray bottles and spray them off the tree. Spray them hard and heavy with two bottles blazing. Then rake them up and put them in a plastic garbage bag.

Walker Walker
Oct '20

Super spreader

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '20

Saw many today at riverfront park my wife and I tried to kill them but then soon realize that entire tree was covered so effort was for nothing, very sad I looked up how to report sighting and they don’t even taken report from warren county because we are so far gone

GaryLikesFishing22 GaryLikesFishing22
Oct '20

My preliminary research indicated that the spotted lantern fly is poisonous/harmful to dogs. Do some additional research on this topic. Let others know.

It appears there is not enough data yet to determine if they are a danger or not to dogs.

Interesting article from Pa. stating dogs may be instrumental in locating the egg masses in the fight to limit the spread of the insect.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/university-pennsylvania-veterinary-medicine-study-dogs-spotted-lanternflies/

They're quick to move when I try to stomp on them but only the first three hops before I'm able to crush them. Phillipsburg is literally swarming with them

Noname Noname
Oct '20

Many of them by the Shop Rite in Washington today. Squashed several.

You are all a bunch of psychopathic killers destroying one of Gods creatures that has done nothing to you but fly by.

dodgebaaall dodgebaaall
Oct '20

Dodgebaaall, Do you like beer or wine? If you do these “flies” destroy hops and grapes plus a host of other plants. Death is justified and they are imports to the US.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Oct '20

ok....no more eating chicken...

zentravl zentravl
Oct '20

Mr 4Paws,

God will judge you appropriately. Thou shall not kill.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '20

"You are all a bunch of psychopathic killers destroying one of Gods creatures that has done nothing to you but fly by."

This is a joke right?

I'd sooner say you are a psychopath for believing in a mythical dude floating on a cloud somewhere that creates things just by wishing and commanding it.

You do know life has moved on from- What is thunder? Gods must be angry...riight?

Dodgebaal, based upon your analogy, you had better not drive, or accept a ride, or live in a building or even eat, Millions of insects have died to keep you comfortable. I'm just following Governmental request as to the Lantern Fly.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Oct '20

Of course its a joke.
What is everyone on here taking Geritol?

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '20

Spotted in Great Meadows today.

Mervin
Oct '20

On a walk in Riverfront Park - At first we thought someone had vandalized the trunk of this tree - but once we got a better look -through this photo - we realized Lantern flies had caused this huge amount of damage - This is by the river

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

the larger picture
now thinking someone did this to try to wipe out the lantern flies on this tree trunk

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

Looks like a beaver to me

Philliesman Philliesman
Oct '20

4catmom

I agree with "Philliesman". Looks like typical Beaver teeth marks and pattern relatively low to the ground.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

You are probably both right --- though it is a pretty big tree for a beaver-- and there were no tree "scraps" on the ground under it that we could see.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

4catmom

The bad thing is that this also looks like "ring-barking" or "tree girdling". No matter how it happened, it's very close to the 50% of the diameter to height ratio that can kill the tree within a day or two:-(

Here's a great article on the damage beavers can cause. It's mainly the bottom of this article that mentions beaver behavior. This is just the time of the year it usually happens:

https://www.beaverinstitute.org/management/tree-protection/

If you check page 5 of this pdf, you can see an example of beaver damage on a tree that's very similar to the damage on the tree you pictured:

https://www.nps.gov/dewa/learn/kidsyouth/upload/cmskidbeavr.pdf

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

Most interesting Phil D. Thanks so much for the information. And yes we agree that that tree won't be around much longer.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

Def. beaver. I saw the chips below and teeth marks this morning. You can even see the path it is taking to/from the water through the weedy growth on the bank. Having said all this, it's a very large tree! It's going to have to strip branches off ...and even then, it might not be strong enough to move the main trunk.

4of4
Nov '20

4of4

It's obviously been "busy as a beaver". Hey, if the ant can move the rubber tree plant, then maybe the beaver can move that tree. Of course it could just be that it's the nearest one with a lot of branches, that's one of the species whose bark they eat.

Since the trunk splits so many times not too far from the ground, that will likely give it a huge harvest of branches and lots of bark to strip for food too!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

the chomping continues

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

Definitely beaver! Look at all those paired tooth marks;-) Like rabbits, their teeth keep growing, so it's instinctive to have to chew, chew, chew!

May be working on a dam and/or lodge nearby too. Not sure what animal control would make of it, but it may be a good idea to contact them, or the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife if you see widespread damage. They modify their environment, just as we do, but they can also cause major problems in areas as shown on this page:

http://www.gardenstatewildlifecontrol.com/Beaver_Damage_Management.html

That's NOT the state website, but does show and mention some of the effects of unchecked beaver activity.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

We haven't seen any other damage to trees like this - which is by the river

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

The tree is gone - we couldn't even find the stump - or a sign it had ever been there - or are we just the victim of old eyes.....

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '21

Here it is as of today….

omg - seriously - where exactly, Dam?

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '21

Alumni field…right by the river.

Important information if you value trees

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '21

Large number of lantern flies at the Shoprite parking lot this morning.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '21

We have several of the Trees of Heaven on the hill behind us and way more lantern flies this year than last year.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Aug '21

Love this young lady's solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VKdFChw_4

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '21

Milk weed is toxic to them apparently. Good for Monarchs, bad for SLF.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '21

How are the numbers in Washington Borough? They're having a street fair this weekend and trying to figure out whether it will be worth it to go.

If I'm constantly swatting SLFs, then no...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '21

they are here by the millions now.two years ago you would see one once in a while.now they are everywhere .on the sidewalks on the cars on your deck.who knows for how long they will stick around for.i hope the birds get fat

I was at the new brewery on the main street Sunday. I didn't see a single lantern fly on the sidewalk. Had a beer and an eggroll on their patio. Only 1 bee. Go to the fair!

maja2 maja2
Sep '21

Several trees totally infested at Field Of Dreams.
My ballpark estimation is 10X-15X more than last year.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '21

They are getting in my house. Flushed 5 so far. It’s a shame they are so destructive because they are actually a pretty bug. IMO

auntiel auntiel
Sep '21

Please do not Panic people

But they are very Venomous!!

Come on Man!!

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
Sep '21

Here all is a link for free milkweed seeds to eradicate the SLF and help Monarch butterflies from extinction as well:

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/pollinators/free-milkweed-for-monarch-butterflies/

They're all over Chester. I came in contact with 20 of them in just 2 hours!!

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Sep '21

@hotdogchili

Could you please provide some studious on spotted lanternflies being "very venomous" - based on what I have been reading this seems like misinformation.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
Sep '21

kingcoriander

I was kidding

sorry

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
Sep '21

Was at my kids soccer practice at field of dreams. No kidding I saw about 15 of them in the 90 minutes I was there

Consigliere
Sep '21

What’s going on with these things this year? Are they still an issue?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jul '22

I'm pretty sure they will be again soon. We have been seeing the nymphs in our backyard for a little while now.

Monty Monty
Jul '22

dawn dish detergent, a little rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle -

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '22

The nymphs have been in our backyard since early June. The are growing and black with red dots recently. Windex works and my foot. Trying to get rid of as many as we can.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Jul '22

Oops. We are in Hackettstown.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Jul '22

Sorry to say but these Asian imports will be with us forever now, just like the Emerald Ash borer, the Asian Stink Bug, Asian Lady bug, the Asian Tiger mosquito. All we can do is if you see them kill them. It will help to keep the population down.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Jul '22

They will start to peak in mass mid Sugust.

Thank goodness Sugust isn't anywhere near here (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '22

They are going to be everywhere soon.if you have this tree in your area they will be all over it. Get rid of it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/aNQ8eTDHjex9rnBH7

Indie Indie
Aug '22

and report to the state - with photos if you can - and exact location

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '22

NJDA is no longer asking for residents to report sightings...

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2022/08/spotted-lanternfly-invasion-is-so-bad-nj-residents-no-longer-need-to-report-sightings.html

ianimal ianimal
Aug '22

What a crock!?! ...in the site earlier provided:

"A spokesman with the NJDA said the state provides a list of treatment options for dealing with the annoying insects at www.badbug.nj.gov. In addition to providing counties treatment reimbursement funds,"

To find that NJDA provides NO 'treatment' except to continue stomp on them.
Which falls short of what should we do when there's hundreds or on the walls, plants, & everywhere else we just can't "stomp" on them, not on floor/ground level??

So instead I looked and found other sites say spraying them with a simple solution of vinegar, neem oil, and/or a mixture of insecticidal soap helps kill or immobilizing them. *Sometimes quicker, faster to smash them with use a Fly swatter*

Otherwise, 'a long residual that continues kill bugs for weeks' in Harris Spotted Lanternfly Killer sprayer.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Harris/5013306141?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lwn-_-bng-_-LIA_LWN_241_Chemicals-_-5013306141-_-Local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=b3f2152da7bd16d20f2e77d8b120c57a&gclid=b3f2152da7bd16d20f2e77d8b120c57a&gclsrc=3p.ds

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Aug '22

To Indie, in the absence of the Tree of Heaven, they will go to Maple trees. I have a problem with them on my Maples. They are adapting.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Aug '22

The state should just put a bounty on them. I know the neighborhood kids would gladly hunt them for $.25-.50/ea.

Consigliere
Aug '22

"Spotted lanternfly invasion is so bad N.J. residents no longer need to report sightings"
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/spotted-lanternfly-invasion-is-so-bad-nj-residents-no-longer-need-to-report-sightings.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '22

@Consigliere - It's 2022, that price per fly is way too low. Our entitled youth could never be subject to such an outlandish rate. That price would have to come up quite a bit to gain any traction with today's youth and expected pay scale.

You’re probably right, Yup. It’s a shame. In the last 3 days I’ve seen easily 50 of them. I killed the 10-12 I could get to but they seem to be EVERYWHERE.

Consigliere
Aug '22

Has anyone seen a SPL egg mass on their foundation? I found something outside my garage that looks just like those pictures of the ones on the trees.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Aug '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.