Comcast/Netflix?

Somehow I missed Netflix getting added to my Comcast plan. I already had Netflix for years through Netflix. Comcast is telling me to contact Netflix to cancel as it’s now on my Cable plan. Has anyone dealt with this?

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

my neighbor just had the same thing happen to her. No resolution yet. Netflix has their own subscription so how is comscam putting this on their bills? is comscam the jealous bitch and thinking they can charge for someone using their service to access netflix with this ruse?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-charge-on-comcast-bill

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-billing-through-comcast

If you get Netflix with your Comcast package Simply log into Netflix through your cable box with your username and password for your Netflix account it will tell you it will no longer bill you personally as long as you stay with Comcast and have it in your package

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Jul '18

So, if you are a Netflix subscriber, who has already subscribed DIRECTLY with Netflix (through a media box like a Roku, or online), then this does not affect you, it looks like? It only affects those customers who subscribed to Netflix through the Comcast cable box?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '18

Wait, what? I do NOT subscribe to Netflix separately. never have. Does that mean I DO get it now through the COmcast bill I'm already paying? If so, is Comcast charging me MORE for something?

I just log into Netflix via my comcast screen. I still pay Netflix separately and use my usual log in and password.

kaylyn kaylyn
Jul '18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKeNKvl-J4

hktownie hktownie
Jul '18

You have to call Comcast and ask for the new plan. I was grandfathered in with the old plan. Ended up costing me less money for the new one.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '18

Jefferson Republican..i just got off the phone with Comcast. The package we have, HD complete XF Bundle, includes Netflix. It will start showing on next months bill @ 0.00. Once the promotion ends, you will start seeing a charge. I don’t want to stop my regular Netflix, the less I have to do with Comcast, the better. I would like to take the plunge and get rid of it since Hulu and Netflix provides a lot of tv watching. I recently heard you can get a sports package with Hulu? Has anyone done this?

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

Bessie,

Did Comcast say that EVERYONE is going to start being billed for netflix, whether they want it or not? The post wasn't totally clear?

I currently have an independent (nothing to do with comcast) netflix sub, and I'm not going to pay twice. And I don't see how Comcast could change my affiliation with netflix without my express permission (or unless Comcast owns netflix, which they do not).

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '18

Netflix streaming has been free to new subscribers for one month forever with or without a Comcast subscription as long as you have a device capable of receiving it . Could be a dvd player w/smart tv apps , a smart tv , Roku , or Firestick device . Now it appears those horrible X1 Comcast boxes are capable of streaming Netflix . BTW Netflix was overcharging me 9.99 for two devices and I only use it on one at a time , so my reduced bill for a single device is 7.99 . Supposed to be standard definition instead of HD , but dogged if I can tell the difference !

I'm also taking the cord cutting plunge when my Motorola two tuner DVR dies, but with youtube tv which has 10 more channels , you get SNY for long suffering Met fans as well as the YES channel for Yankee fans . If it had Velocity and the NFL channel I would have already done it ! Hulu channels vs. youtube tv below ;

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jul '18

JR, it’s included in my package, may not be in everyone’s.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

97XBAM ... Please help ... Bessie & I need your guidance
Speaking for myself ... simply can no longer afford the luxury of Cable Television ...
same as car payments ...
Going to actually cancel Comcast this week
My puzzle in this maze: THEN WHAT ?
Your thoughts ... please
Thx

Tommy G Tommy G
Jul '18

Tommy G I have Netflix, which is mostly what I watch. I was going to cancel Comcast when they increased my price but cut channels. I would have gone with Hulu. $40 I think, with some live tv. In the end, Comcast gave me cable and internet with an enormous amount of channels for $79. So no Hulu yet

maja2 maja2
Jul '18

Our biggest hurdle is sports, have to have sports in our house.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

Hulu has ESPN.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

maja2 maja2
Jul '18

"Our biggest hurdle is sports, have to have sports in our house."

Agree, that's the biggest issue for us as well. All of these other options leave us hung out to dry, so we are stuck with Comcast.

"Hulu has ESPN."

Yes, but the majority of sports that we watch are not on ESPN.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Playstation Vue and direct TV now have lots of sports channels

Maja2 ... thx
So if I confront Comcast ... hopefully they make me an offer I can’t refuse ... ?
$79 @ month is affordable ... not the
“monthly car payment “ Comcast has managed to create
Adding sports... pay a premium?
or learn about live feed on the internet.. ?
A lot to learn for an old dog!
Appreciate your thoughts and guidance

Tommy G Tommy G
Jul '18

Tommy G, I wound up going from just network tv for sports to msg., yes, sny, golf, NBC sports, golf channel. And they gave me back cartoon channel:)

maja2 maja2
Jul '18

A lot to learn for an old dog is right, Tommy. I’m with you, I find it all overwhelming, then put it on the back burner again.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

Comcast is the worst switch to sling tv

Just saying
Jul '18

Calico, we have Sling and get Yes Network, and many other sports channels (but not ESPN). We also get Fox and NBC. Worth taking a look.

This link has the breakdown of what's available. We have Sling Blue.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-everything-you-need-to-know/

Tracy Tracy
Jul '18

Thanks Tracy, but that wouldn't work either. ESPN is needed for Sunday Night Baseball and Monday Night Football. I also would no longer get the network channels from Philly as I do now with Comcast.

I know it totally sucks being a slave to them, but we really have no other choice. Our bill is a little over $160, but that is for TV, internet and home phone.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

I called them and the guy told me I ordered it. Im like um no I already have Netflix why would I get it through you. Scam artists!

Bozak Bozak
Jul '18

Bessie ... back burner no more ... simply dollars and cents ...
What to do ...
Bess .... we need a kid ... middle school
Need your help with that ... willing to compensate

Tommy G Tommy G
Jul '18

Calico696 ... thx for your honesty. $160
then I am getting screwed ... Hard
Internet TV phone $225. Ouch !

Tommy G Tommy G
Jul '18

Calico, how many TV’s? Do you have a DVR? Tommy, I’m paying more like what you’re paying.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

Bessie - We have 1 tv, no dvr and no HD. We are simpletons LOL.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Tommy, how many TV’s, HD, DVR? Maybe that’s why the difference. It explains my difference, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

Update ... went on line and found Optimum covers my address In HKTS
So , set up the day of installation Confirmed by email sent to me
Next day another email from Optimum ...
Sorry we do not service your area ...

It’s me ... I just don’t get it ( yet ! ). lol

Tommy G Tommy G
Aug '18

If Comcast is your current provider, then you know (by law) you can't just switch to Optimum. An address in "Hackettstown" means little because that just means the PO located in Hackettstown delivers your mail. Cable providers are based on the township you are in, and the 07840 zip code covers six different townships. But by law its one

Sorry Tommy I haven't been on the forum for awhile and I'm still researching the switch to streaming and won't be doing it until sometime next year . Hopefully by then youtube tv will have the NFL network . Some things I've been finding out about streaming is that not all programs on a channel are necessarily on that streaming channel due to copyright issues . For example I can watch a Mets game on SNY , but not on WPIX as streaming has the CW channel instead which doesn't include sports . Below is the AVS forum link for streaming and reading the posts and asking the pros will educate you more than I ever could . Good luck !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/

97XBAM 97XBAM
Aug '18

We want to change back to DirecTV for the savings, but cannot get AT&T in our area for the phone/internet. Thinking about just cutting those and using our hotspots for internet access.

Anyone else do this, if so do you like it?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

tripsy tripsy
Aug '18

You would think.....With all the technology today, there should be a way that another cable company could possibly supply a transducer signal controller, to hook up to each house that receives a digital signal transmitted from a local repeater; such as from a high point in the valley here, or wherever instead of strung cables like C-Cast uses.
Sort of like a dish receiver, but small like a sirius antenna, but Not Satellite.

dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '18

Embryodad - maybe because the current providers are monopolies with powerful lobbies?

justintime justintime
Aug '18

I thought we covered this a few weeks ago. It's not a law. There are many towns in NJ that have multiple cable providers. Hackettstown is not one of them. But go down the road to a town like Succasunna. You can get Verizon (FIOS) or Cablevision (Optimum).

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '18

CBB, I think the difference is that those two companies each have their own pipes - cables running side by side down the street.

justintime justintime
Aug '18

That's correct and no law limits that from happening elsewhere. Verizon negotiated a statewide cable contract to be anywhere in the state. So there are many towns in NJ that happen to have choice. Again unfortunately Hackettstown is not one one of them.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '18

Anyone get an increase in Comcast billing? Mine increased by $35.15 / month.

Make sure your "plan" didn't expire. Call them and ask for the most current offers going on.

Yeppers Yeppers
Dec '19

Ours went up also.... pft

tidy
Dec '19

CBB,
Hackettstown is too poor for Verizon Fios.
Costs plenty to run fiber.

Guess if you don't like the laws you can contact your Congresscritter for all that is worth.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Dec '19

Mine went down a few dollars. But I called just before the upgrade and we talked, we got transferred, we got a new plan. Kept TCM, lost the Law n Order Channel and picked up a lot of sports. Moved to HD for free too.

Think I wad lucky in the the price increase was coupled with my promo running out so being hit with a double whammy, I guess they took pity.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '19

So we're ready to pull the plug on Comcast..For those that have taken that step, what are you doing for live news? We're so used to watching the news when we get up, wondering what our options are going to be. We currently watch Channel 7 in the AM and 4 on weekends. Thanks

Robin Pope Robin Pope
Jan '20

We couldn't completely "pull the plug on Comcast" because we still needed their internet service. Looking over their price list at the time, I noticed that it would cost us more for one service (internet alone) than two services (internet + the most basic of basic cable on one tv). So we went with the latter. The basic is essentially comprised of the channels that existed pre-cable, so we still have access to live news.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Jan '20

Price increases were listed in the last bill. So much for cutting back on stuff

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '20

You can watch local news on streaming services. You need a device to stream the internet. I use the Amazon Fire Stick & subscribe to You Tube TV & get local channels. You should write down what channels are important to you & then google all the streaming services to see which one offers what you want. Examples of streaming service other than You Tube TV is Direct TV Now, Sling, Hulu.

You will still need an internet connection so you will still need to retain the local cable company's internet service. You can save some $ by buying your own Modem that they approve of instead of renting it from them.

Good luck!

Hulu has ABC nightly news the day after it’s aired. This is true of many shows on Hulu.

Sacks cousin
Jan '20

Yes, the only thing I pay for Netflix is a three dollar charge so you can have more people watching at the same time on different devices.

CuriousKitty
Jan '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.