Herb Identification

Herb Identification

I’m pruning back some of the overgrown herbs around my house (from the previous homeowners) and just want to know what some of them are.

So far I’ve got sweet mint, Greek oregano, rosemary, lavendar, and I think some type of basil.

Can anyone confirm if that’s what this is, and maybe what type? I don’t really use them for cooking but I’ll leave them grow for looks or in case friends want a few sprigs.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '18

Re: Herb Identification

Closer view...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '18

Maybe you can tell by smell or taste ?

Janster Janster
Jul '18

Looks like a variety of sage

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Jul '18

Nice weed wacker! Quick image search (for sage instead of basil) reveals that this is likely Berggarten sage.

Previously I thought all sage had longer leaves.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '18

Looks like Sage.

Basil has smooth leaves. Fuzzy and dimples are a sure sign it's sage. Rubbing one of the leafs a bit to get the smell would be proof.

Be careful of using the lavender for cooking. Well Sweep is careful to remind people some of the hybrid lavandins are high in camphor. Much more fragrant, but potentially poisonous in cooking.

I thought sage too, but need to rub a leaf and sniff to be sure. Photos only go so far. :-)

hktownie hktownie
Jul '18

Fear not, GC. The only thing I ever ate with lavender flavor were some gross candies my sister had when we were kids. So bad that I’ll never voluntarily put lavender in anything!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.