Herding dog puppies

So I am looking for a working/ herding breed to protect my chickens and ducks. Every breeder I have looked into wants over $2000 for puppies. Rescues have not responded, more than likely due to the fact that they want the dogs to be indoor dogs. (Just an FYI... the dog would come inside at night and kept indoors during inclement weather. The dog would be a family member). Anyway, does anyone know any Breeders, farmers, etc... that may breed any of the herding dogs.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Good luck in your search. It takes time to find a new pet. Watch out for local inexperienced people who breed. Do your homework. One wanted 700 for a dog and they could remember the name of place they got the parents i.e. Breeding puppy mill dogs.

Jhardworker Jhardworker
Jul '18

You're actually looking for a livestock guardian dog instead of a herding dog. Try https://bigfluffydogs.com/
they have lots of Great Prynees and mixes of same, however...

If you are looking for a Pyr to guard while you're gone, be aware that they are also known as Dis-A-Pyrnees for a reason... they tend to wander all day. Even the most secure of fences cannot contain a Dis-A-Pyrnees with the wanderng gene )

https://morningchores.com/farm-dogs/
a list of the ten best herding/guardian breeds

Definitely get in touch with the good people at Fluffy Dog Rescue they do amazing things with the dogs in their care, older dogs down to young puppies. If anyone can help, it would be them. Good luck!

Scout Scout
Jul '18

I researched livestock guarding dogs, they are not a great fit for our family, plus we don’t have the required fencing. I researched Australian shepherds and they are good herders and good at protecting the home and the property. I am in contact with a breeder who seems really nice.
Thank you both for the input! I will let you know how it turns out!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

I have a golden doodle and a mutt from NC and they protect my 24 chickens and 3 ducks with no problems... Why spend all the money on an expensive dog?

JD 4020
Jul '18

Aussies are wonderful family pets and herding dogs. We raised and showed them many years ago before they were an AKC breed (Stock Dog and ASCA registered). I did have two, however, that had a high prey drive and would kill chickens. :(

The others were so well trained, hand signals would get them to bring in the critters, herd the ducks in.

Overall, the Aussie is a wonderful breed, just keep them busy, train them (and they love to learn tricks, etc.) and enjoy! (when my kids were toddlers, I had one dog who thought his job was to herd them, and keep them in a certain area of the yard, was so funny to watch them try to run from the dog, and the dog go around and shove them back, eventually grabbing diaper and pulling back to the area he deemed safe!)

Scout Scout
Jul '18

Scout, the ones with the high prey drive, did you train them from puppies?

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

We had one from four months on, the other we got as a year old dog. From my friend's breeding, she didn't have chickens, so we didn't know they would go after them, but they did have a high prey drive. Wonderful at herding sheep and goats... not so much with chickens and ducks.

Scout Scout
Jul '18

Just get a happy, healthy puppy. Ask the breeder which ones she/he suggests for your purpose, and enjoy your new pup! Aussies are wonderful dogs, train him/her up the way you want, you'll have a wonderful furkid. Love the breed, miss having them, they are so smart and devoted to their family. Socialize, train and introduce them to the chickens and ducks from the start. Now... go get your puppy, and let's see pics of it soon!

Scout Scout
Jul '18

Re: Herding dog puppies

So I am picking up this little guy from Connecticut tomorrow! I will expose him to the birds early and hope that he keeps the foxes away! He is so cute! I can’t wait to meet him!!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

omg adorable

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

Adorable! Love the tri colors! They didn't dock his tail?

Scout Scout
Jul '18

Nope. He is 8 weeks old.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Cute, cute, cute! Best wishes! Keep us posted.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Boon is home with us! So cute but definitely a handful! Lots of work ahead of us but He is such a sweetie!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

Cute as the dickens! Glad you got him! He looks like he has a bit of a mischievous streak :)

Scout Scout
Jul '18

he's beautiful! he's an Australian Sheppard?

he looks mischievous!

doesn't you usually get to meet the puppies and pick one that way?

enjoy Mr. Boon!!

Hackresident Hackresident
Jul '18

He is a piece of work, that is for sure! We love him!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

What a face! Such a little cutie. Congratulations on the new family member.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '18

what does he do (or not do) to make him unique?

Jul '18

I find a throwing a small ball in your desired direction is one of the best ways to herd puppies.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '18

I have an Australian Shepherd, he keeps all the critters out of my gardens.Very intelligent,easy to train. Make sure he has a job and keep him busy or he’ll get into trouble. Good luck,they’re very good dogs

Tomato man
Jul '18

His job will be gaurding our chickens and ducks! He is a sweet little thing!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

post updated photos again!

Jul '18

Sleeping with my old girl!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '18

That is so sweet.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.