Reliable 12-14 cup coffee maker?

I am looking for a reliable 12-14 cup auto drip coffee maker that does not leak steam from the top lid after a couple of months use. I have tried several popular brands (including Mr. Coffee, Black & Decker, Hamilton Beach, Proctor Silex & Cuisinart). They all work fine at first, but after a few months they all start leaking steam from the top lids. All the lids are plastic and the heat from the steam causes them to warp and leak. I have even tried placing heavy dinner plates on top of the lids to hold them down with limited success. Any recommendations? (Please, no wise remarks.)

Pooder Pooder
Jul '18

Pooder - We have had a Mr. Coffee for at least 6 years and have not had any problem with the lid warping.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

We are on our third Cuisinart and while I love the looks, therefore I buy, frankly they break a lot, thus our third. I would tell you the years but suffice it to say they are all the same model.

Thank the credit card gods for kickbacks that have provided these three appliances for free.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '18

Steaming from the top is something I've seen from any number of machines, but haven't really seen that as a big issue unless the machine is right under a cabinet that steam would damage it.

Mr Coffee is the best brand I've had too. Even if it has some extra steam at the top, that's what I would suggest too. Either that or move away from those machines all together and go to a French press. It's not big 20+ cup maker, but it's better and good at small 2-3 cups at a time. (maybe get 2 or 3 and just brew less at a time)

Have tried so many different brands over the years for making coffee but the best one I have had so far is a Mr. Coffee....

joyful joyful
Jul '18

Cuisenart here - perfectly happy with it but we often use our french press for 4 cups (2)mugs - yummy

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

Pooder, do you clean out the machine? I find that steam comes out top more when it needs a cleaning. I just fill it with 50% vinegar and water mix and then run a few more times with water to get any vinegar taste out.

gm mom gm mom
Jul '18

After going through several brands we have had a ninja coffee machine for almost 2 years and it is great. Can do whole pot, half pot, travel mug, single mug, and iced mug. Love it! Kohls runs good deals on it with 30%offf

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that *didn’t* emit steam from the top.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

"BUNN" Coffee Maker

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '18

I second the ninja. Have had mine for a few yrs and love it.

Bunn is going to be my next machine.

I went the Keureg route as the initial one was bought for us as a gift. That died within one year so we got a free replacement. The replacement died 10 months later and got a another replacement, again under warranty. That third one died two years later and it was out of warrantee. I had a target gift card and used it on a FOURTH kuereg. After 18 months that died and I was done with kuereg.

I bought a $40 machine (Bodum) and I can’t believe how cheaply made it is. Not only does it feel cheap, the engineering is incredibly stupid. I have to hold the pitcher 8-10” from the top of the machine to in order to get enough clearance to pour the water without hitting the lid of the machine. Every morning I’m cascading a waterfall into a small opening. If I miss the opening, I either get water all over my counter or I’m pouring cold water on top of the filter. I honestly can’t believe how this design passed and this went into production.

Next time I’m biting the bullet and paying up for a Bunn. Or maybe a ninja. I guess with coffee makers, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Well, except for kuereg.

Consigliere
Jul '18

What's a good brand of french press coffee maker?

hktownie hktownie
Jun '20

Bodum

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '20

We had a ninja for a few years that died eventually. Then we switched to moka pot coffee with fresh ground coffee from freshroastedcoffee. It is a world better than the ninja in quality and does the trick for us.

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Jun '20

Very happy with 12 cup cuisenart but we use a french press ( stainless - from Amazon because I broke 2 glass pots) for just the two of us

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

there are no moving parts, so I don't think that the manufacturer of a coffee press matters all that much.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '20

agreed, ianimal - it's all about getting the coffee/water proportions correct...

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

Krups' hands down :)0

Adair J Moore Sattel Adair J Moore Sattel
Jun '20

Brew Express is by far the best coffee machine I have owned and I had many.

DoingMyPart
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.