Forcing towns to merge (amongst other ideas)

Things could get real interesting in northwest nj

New Jersey public workers could see cuts to their health care and pensions, motorists could travel on more toll roads and towns could be forced to consolidate if lawmakers embrace recommendations being considered by a high-powered group formed by ...
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/06/top_democrats_tax_policy_review_to_recommend_cuts.html

Bug3
Jun '18

they definitely need to merge EMS services in that area - many of the volunteer squads have trouble staffing a crew - the efficiencies of consolidation and economies of scale are obvious.

skippy skippy
Jun '18

Great idea! Long overdue. No need for 585 plus municipalities in NJ. No need for duplicated services, police, fire, etc. Schools can be consolidated and the tax payer would actually see a decrease.

This is a long over due no so new idea that NJ should jump on.

A while back, when I lived in the township there was talk of the town merging with the township. The draw back was all the towns debit. The plus was they could apply for more money programs, that was only for towns over 10,000 people.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '18

Sweeeeeet!

It would make sense in some cases. I think White Township had their tiny little school and one block away was another townships tiny little school. They seemed to be in the same neighborhood, so the culture of the schools would remain the same.
Big problems come when you try and merge hi tax-paying home owning areas with low income and apartment areas. The cultures don't seem to merge well.

Older Mom Older Mom
Jun '18

Rich and poor don't merge well? Jesus said differently.

Or were you actually talking whites and minorities?

DevilsFan1 DevilsFan1
Jun '18

DevilsFan1, why even bother arguing with ignorance?

positive positive
Jun '18

The cultures don't seem to merge well? What?

Isn't that what society is hell-bent on trying to achieve with all the posturing these days on Facebook and elsewhere? Everyone is the same and should be treated the same? Unless it's in your backyard, I'm guessing is what you mean.

Very curious ideas here - If you grew up in Englewood, Teaneck, Hackensack back in the day - cultures and socioeconomic groups merged well................

But two the point - I have no idea what the impact would be .................for example - here in allamuchy---

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

You got Green Township to the North and Independence township to the South; all 3 could merge right?

in any merge, someone will feel victorious and someone will feel worse. people moved to their home because it was the best for their situation. hypothetically, if i live in hackettstown, and i liked that my kids were going to a blue ribbon middle school, and then i was told i had to merge with a neighboring town where i thought the school was lesser, i wouldn't be happy. similarly, if i thought my town had the best services which generated a premium on my home price, i wouldn't want to merge with someone else and watch my home value drop. of course, if i couldn't afford a home in what i thought was a better place, so i lived somewhere else, and then i got to merge, i'd be thrilled. with any change, there will be winners and losers, and perceived winners and losers.

ken e
Jun '18

In Bergen County, Montvale & River Vale (where I used to live) merged their DPW services so that River Vale managed it & saved a lot of $ but for some reason, River Vale wants to dump it. I thought it was a great idea.

https://thepressgroup.net/river-vale-dumps-shared-dpw-services-with-montvale/

HEY ! if all the towns within 25 miles of Hackettstown were to merge....we could easily save in excess of 1/2 million + per year by eliminating all the "chief of police " positions .

The law is the law , is the law, is the law..

steven steven
Jun '18

Independence & Allamuchy have some great corruption, maybe best in Warren County, it'll be great to watch them fight over their rice bowls.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jun '18

There are so many opportunities here for savings, but too many people involved will choose self preservation over the choice for the greater good.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.