Dave Ramsey Money Coaching

I'm retiring from my corporate IT exec job this month and transitioning to something I love - helping people get their finances in order and get out of the debt ditch. I've been a personal finance junkie since I was in my 20's (looong time ago - hint: disco was in vogue but I hated it - I turned off the radio when Led Zeppelin broke up).

Anyhoo, I listen to Dave Ramsey's great get-outta-debt radio show/podcast and I'd like to host one of his Financial Peace University seminars here in Hackettstown. Three local churches host them locally but none have one scheduled in the near term. They are extremely popular. It's a one hour a week for nine weeks kind of thing, usually at churches or community centers.

Does anyone have recommendations as to where I might hold this type of gathering? I wouldn't be compensated in any way, nor would I be promoting any sort of follow-on 'hooks' as I'm not set up to do this yet as far as my business until next year. I'd like to do this in late Aug into Sept, perhaps sooner.

It's not 'financial adviser' in terms of the guys who pressure you to roll your 401k into IRAs or take your assets under their management. Not stocks/bonds, etc, but focusing on paying down debt without the typical scams like some consolidation loans, etc. My motive is just to help folks with student debt, credit card debt, help avoid bankruptcy, etc. Side motive is to become familiar with Ramsey's materials, which he sends to the coaches who proctor the meetings.

Try local church good luck

Thanks RE. I reached out to a few of them, waiting to hear back.

Library for community events

Proud liberal Proud liberal
Jun '18

Sounds like a great idea. Have you thought about looking into hosting at Centenary U.? Not sure if they'd do it or not but worth a shot.

Eperot Eperot
Jun '18

I listen to Ramsey from time to time. Good info. I've employed many of his principles.

Sometimes the show is very entertaining, especially when doctors with 400k or more in loans call in.

good luck.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '18

It's amazing how many doctors call in, MeisterNJ. He calls it "doctor-itis" - they get out of the long drudgery of med school up to their eyeballs in student loan debt, then right away say "Hey, I'm a doctor, I should have a McMansion and two BMWs in the driveway." The show is definitely entertaining and often sad, but the people are getting help.

Update: I haven't heard from any of the churches, so I'm going to check out the library in Hackettstown and Independence on 46 to see if they'll host it.

Good luck with this- where ever it may be. I am a Ramsey Student, just via listening to him for years and watching his TV show when it used to be on several years ago.

Paid off the house, paid off the cars, I have more money in investments and the bank than ever and Zero debt!

As he says, your income is your best wealth building tool. If people would only believe that and delay some gratification and pay off the debts, you truly can feel comfortable knowing you have money for almost anything that will come your way.

I had to restrain myself from chiming in to the Lease car vs buying thread. Dave Ramsey always calls a lease a "fleece" and how true that is! Buy a 2 year old depreciated car for cash and be done with payments.

Good luck, hope you have a good turn out and help people out of their financial distress decisions.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jun '18

BH to check out Mount Olive Library I know they do a lot of talks

Proud liberal Proud liberal
Jun '18

When this comes to the area I would be very interested. I've listened and watched Dave Ramsey and a few of my friends are also interested!

Laura snyder Laura snyder
Jun '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.