Putting in pool - town regulations/permit?

About to buy one of those Intex pools maybe 3 or 4 ft deep what's the regulations in hackettstown? Do u need a permit? I have fencing around my yard and a gate

My recommendation would be to call the town construction department tomorrow morning to get the proper information you are looking for.That way you will be sure to get accurate information. Unless of course you are installing it at some point tonight, then a forum answer may suffice.

Construction Office:

Office Hours:
Monday thru Friday
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Closed for lunch between 1:00 & 2:00

PHONE: 908-850-0660 ext. 118
FAX: 908-852-2538

you shouldn't need a permit they are considered temp. because they can be removed

Please do not install grills and advertise anywhere east of here that you have a Pool .

stephen stephen
Jun '18

Lol stephen!

maja2 maja2
Jun '18

I would check with the town. I live in Sussex county and in my town I needed a permit for my Intex pool that is 4 feet high. According to the town, any structure-temporary or permanent- with more than 24 inches of water needs a permit. It was a real pain too because they had to come look at the pool because they had no idea what I was talking about. Then I needed to give them a copy of the owner's manual because they wanted me to ground the pool but those pools don't need to be grounded. I also needed to buy a ladder or build a structure ( I bought one) to meet certain standards and locks when the pool is not in use. The A-frame ladders that come with the pool do not meet those standards.
Hackettstown requirements for permitting these pools might be different but please check before you end up hit with a fine! My town was very nice in working with me because they didn't even know about these pools but they said we could be fined $2000 a day!

Mel81 Mel81
Jun '18

I had a couple of those pools and no, I didn't need a permit. If you are hooking electrical up to it, then yes, but it is just temporary. and not considered "above ground permanent pools" . That's when you would need a permit and there are certain ruled that you would have to follow.

Hackettstown Hackettstown
Jun '18

In addition your homeowners insurance company needs to know there is a pool on the property.

They are considered portable pools and most towns in NJ do require permits for these types of pools. My suggestion is to call the town and make sure. Since the popularity of these pools have increased, demands for safety compliance on them have as well. No harm in calling is there? Then you know for sure.

Mel81 Mel81
Jun '18

WT requires permits for any pool including those from big box stores. They also require self locking/latching ladders. Not sure about the tax impact. I'd bet on no since it's temporary but who knows!?

friendlyMcFriendly
Jul '18

I'd bet if your insurance company finds you have one your rates will increase, and if you don't have 'pool insurance' and someone gets hurt (or worse) say goodbye to your house...just saying.

itiswhatitis
Jul '18

What is “pool insurance?”

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

Please post update.

Heyitsme Heyitsme
Jul '18

I called my homeowners insurance to let them know we put in a pool (liberty mutual) they said they will note it on the policy and there would be no increase in premiums.

friendlyMcFriendly
Jul '18

What is “pool insurance?”

Insurance it will no longer get hot enough to use it.

Definitely ask about what you need to do from the town officials. If you have a fence, it needs to be a certain height, and the doors need to open a certain way. There are regulations regarding the parameters and your neighbors. Even if you are doing one of those temporary pools, be careful. Children have drowned in them because they were not fenced-in properly.

Older Mom Older Mom
Jul '18

Remember, this is America, 2018. If someone trespasses onto your property and drowns in your pool, it's YOUR fault.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '18

to answer the OP question, yes a permit is required for a portable pool that is 3-4ft deep. Don't need a permit for small portable pools, but larger ones like the one you stated do require a permit

"Swimming Pool, Portable: Portable pools shall not be subject to the
requirements of this Ordinance and are those pools which are not
otherwise permanently installed; do not require water filtration,
circulation and purification; do not exceed a water surface of 100 square
feet; and do not require braces or supports.

Swimming Pool, Private Residential: Private residential swimming
pools shall mean and include artificially constructed pools, whether
located above or below the ground, having a depth of more than 18
inches and/or a water surface of 100 square feet or more; designed and
maintained for swimming and bathing purposes by an individual for use
by members of his household and guests and which is located on a lot
as an accessory use to a residential dwelling and shall include all
buildings, structures, equipment and appurtenances thereto."

http://www.hackettstown.net/planning-zoning-boards/
Land Development Ordinance

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

I am in Sussex County and my pool is currently being drained and sold because the town apparently requires 4 different permits that need to be renewed yearly and I am apparently breaking all kinds of zoning laws.........I'm so angry, no one said a word about it until this year. We got a letter in the mail and then as the kids were swimming we had to break it to them that its going away. Would be nice if Vernon had a town pool or something for the kids since having a temporary one is illegal unless you pony up a lot of money to the town.......

Heather Heather
Jun '19

Get a hot tub. You can use it all year long.

Iamrite Iamrite
Jun '19

You need certain permits for hot tubs too.

Mel81 Mel81
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.