High pitched noise at night?

Anyone in town hear unusual mechanical noise in the middle of the night? Starts around 12:00 a.m. or earlier, and can last upwards to 4:00 a.m.? Or, becomes loud enough to be heard at night. It so loud my ears are ringing afterwards, when there was no ringing prior.

Hard to describe it. Has a mix of an exhaust sound and a sustained ringing pitch. .

nobody nobody
Jun '18

Do you have neighbors named the Klopek's living next door?

Metsman Metsman
Jun '18

red rover, red rover, let Ray go over.

Goatboy Goatboy
Jun '18

This has been a reoccurring topic on this forum:
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/724797
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/702780
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/281833
If you live near MARS the noise is most likely their (diesel powered) refrigerated trailers. They do not store candy in the warehouse. As soon as it is made it is loaded on trailers and those trailers are parked on the property behind the building and around the loading docks.

Where in town do you live?

Michael Michael
Jun '18

It's from the Mars plant, been hearing stuff since I moved in here, and I'm not that far away

Oh, that was me after reading Rebecka’s post about Trump being nominated for a Nobel Prize!

justintime justintime
Jun '18

The hospital has a temporary chiller on a trailer set up outside. It is very possible that you are hearing that. Chillers do make a loud high-pitched sounds while they are running especially when it's under a heavy load!

Dadof3
Jun '18

tinnitus

Do they park a train on the tracks? The generations on those make high pitched noises

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

Dadof3,
Even the permanent one has a high pitch whine when it starts up and is running.

LOL, JIT!

positive positive
Jun '18

Metsman: I wouldn't know. I keep to myself, unless spoken to first most of the time.

Goatboy: I don't know who this "Ray" person you speak about in reply.

Michael: I don't wish to disclose personal information. And, I couldn't say for sure the source of the noise.

OP: My first guess it was noise coming out of a unit on top the building. But, it wouldn't explain why the noise is louder at my location than at the site location. I'm quite familiar with business operation at that site.

Gary: I know a very similar sound comes from that location.

justintime: If you're misleading or vague enough, you can make people think anything you say means what a person assumes it to mean; rather than, what the misleading or vague speaking person actually means. You know what happens when you 'assume'.

Dadof3: I wouldn't know about it, never been near the place.

Whip: It's not. The sound is not a like a ringing sensation you hear in your ear. It's more like a mechanical noise. It's hard to accurately describe it, as it's a unique noise created likely by some type of machine being my guess. And, the noise generated by it is enough to be well over acceptable levels.

Skippy: I don't know where they park the train.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

So it looks like we are back to square one?

Is this noise something that happens every single night, and has it been going on for a long time, or is it a more recent phenomenon?

Does sound like it would be very annoying, and something I can certainly understand you'd like to get to the bottom of.

Re: JIT's comment - he was just making a joke, which I got. Maybe the wrong thread, but some of us interject humor (often!) just to keep things light around HL. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

It’s the Hum!

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

Nobody I guess you didn't get mine and Goatboys movie reference. The Klopeks are Rays neighbors in the movie The Burbs.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '18

My bet is this noise occurs more frequently than reported as typical background noise makes it impossible to hear at other times.

Route 46
Jun '18

Rebecka: I never left square one. it's not new, and it's started up again recently over a few weeks ago. If it was just a noise cancellation device breaking down again, that would make for a quick fix. But, I don't even know the source of the mechanical noise.

Skippy: it's not the hum from the linked referenced. it's not low-frequency at all. It's loud and clear.

I think air running through pipes can start to get close to producing a similar sound. Like air moving at speeds fast enough to cause metal to vibrate.

Kinda seemed like there was a low and high pitched sound.

But, after several months of nothing and hearing the sound again...it will damage your hearing to the point that it causes a ringing sensation. And, you could probably only hear it again in the middle of the night when the solar noise and traffic vanish all together.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

I was kidding but hope you find it

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

a local version of the Taos Hum.

Richard Richard
Jun '18

Well this is frustrating. I know, I have a weird noise as well... mine almost sounds like a fog horn, like from a lighthouse. It took me FOREVER to track it down, but I finally did.

It's the gas meter. We often start the dishwasher at bedtime, and it pulls hot water, which in turn fires up the (gas) hot water heater, and the gas meter starting "blowing"...

Hoooooooooooooo
Hoooooooooooooo

Sounds just like a foghorn. Bizarre. Once I figured out what it was, it doesn't bother me anymore. And it's not all the time either; just certain times of year, for some reason. Actually, come to think of it, I haven't heard it in awhile...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '18

I have that droning sound sometimes too - started early morning one day recently - had to shut windows to close it out - am in pv

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

I was personally hoping it would be something simple like a dryer running for several hours in the middle of the night in the basement, but I don't think that's the case.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

Does your neighbor have a radon remediation fan running ?

hktownie hktownie
Jun '18

I don't know

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jun '18

there ain't no place to run - Clyde

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.