Donaldson's strawberries

Does any one know if Donaldson's uses pesticides, herbicides, insecticides or any other chemicals on their strawberry crop? Or should the strawberries be washed before eating them?

Cliff R Cliff R
Jun '18

I don’t know if they use any type of pesticide, but I always wash my fruit and vegetables before eating.

I know they used pesticides a few years ago when I asked them. I'm not sure if they still do.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jun '18

Regardless of how it is grown always was your fruit before eating it.

Hot under the collar
Jun '18

Washing fruit and veggies doesn't remove the pesticides, actually, the only thing you're removing is residual soil.The pesticides, herbicides, insecticides are in the soil and in the roots of the plants themselves and then the whole plant is tainted. Grow you own or ask them what they use.

Thank you Sher, jrsemom, Hot under the collar and SOS

Cliff R Cliff R
Jun '18

If they are not being sold, and priced, as "Organic" they most likely are treated with pesticides.

"Organic" is just a marketing term..it doesn't guarantee anything

Bug3
Jun '18

Not exactly, bug3:
https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2012/03/22/organic-101-what-usda-organic-label-means

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

Believe what you want...but lots of things " organic" have plenty of pestisides

Bug3
Jun '18

Wrong bug3, unless of course they are being illegally labled, which I am sure happens.

USDA organic products have strict production and labeling requirements. Organic products must meet the following requirements:

Produced without excluded methods, (e.g., genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, or sewage sludge). Policy on genetically modified organisms (pdf)
Produced using allowed substances. View the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances (National List).
Overseen by a USDA National Organic Program-authorized certifying agent, following all USDA organic regulations.

During a tour of Donaldsons, the guide explained the natural methods they use for pest control. I'm quite sure it was made clear that no pesticides were used. Why not give them a call.............

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

RoundUp (glyphosate) is one of the allowable substances.. due to pressure from lobbyists the organic certification, which is very expensive for farmers to procure, means less now than it did in the past.

That's why many farmers spare themselves the expense of getting certified and just market their produce as 'all natural'.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '18

https://donaldsonfarms.net/farm-market/growing-practices/

jpb3302 jpb3302
Jun '18

Went to Andover Strawberry Farm pick your own. A lot cheaper than Donaldsons and just as sweet. Rhubarb was 4 stalks for $1.00. Looking forward to my pie tomorrow.

John C John C
Jun '18

Re: Donaldson's strawberries

Why do people ruin a perfectly good strawberry pie with bitter rhubarb??? I've never understood that.

Give me regular ol' strawberry pie anyday!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '18

Why do people ruin a perfectly good rhubarb pie with strawberries?

Mr4paws Mr4paws
Jun '18

Organic uses fewer and less hazardous chemicals. (They say)

If you want chemical free, you'll have to grow your own.

Older Mom Older Mom
Jun '18

Strawberries are known as having one of the highest pesticide residue..

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/health/dirty-dozen-2017/index.html

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

Has anyone here tried drying strawberries in the oven? I would like to try it, any tips?

hktownie hktownie
Jun '18

rhubarb is disgusting... My dad grew it when I was a kid. Made a pie out of it. Never ate it again.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '18

I liked rhubarb I could not wait for the first pickens.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '18

I'm a huge fan of rhubarb...and the flavor is not at all bitter. Sour or tart, yes...bitter, no...

Localchef Localchef
Jun '18

Strawberry Rhubarb pie yum

I just enjoyed some shortcake with fresh strawberries. Chemicals or not they are yummy!

Htown Htown
Jun '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.