2026 World Cup (soccer)

A combined bid from the United States, Mexico and Canada won the hosting rights for soccer’s 2026 World Cup. The final will be at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey!

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jun '18

Yay, if I'm still alive!

What will results be this year? I have a work contest with my European peers. Need to choose the final 4. Was just going to Google it!

Maja2 Maja2
Jun '18

So I’ve got 8 years to save thousands. I went in 94, its a great event.

I’ve got Belguim winning, they’re an upcoming team with lots of talented players. They beat Potugal to get there. Spain* beats England in the other semi.

But I’m never right, so you can't go wrong with the usual suspects, Germany, Brazil, France...

* Spain just fired the manager so I’m sure that may cause some problems for them.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '18

Thanks Roywhite!

maja2 maja2
Jun '18

Germany, they won last time? Statistically, Germany won't win back to back. Brazil is the favored to win, just machine learning outcome so no guarantee.

Argentina Iceland tied at 1. Good game going on now in the 35th minute.

You see a lot of ties in the first pool games … teams just playing it safe to make sure they advance … the REAL tournament has yet to start.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

Germany wasn't playing it safe. They just couldn't connect and Mexico exploited a weakness and won.

Nobody wants to start out with a loss. By saying "playing it safe," I meant that teams who are favorites to win their pools don't mind a tie and don't take risks in an early game. I saw the game, Mexico certainly made a statement. Was happy to see it :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

The Brazilians were happy by the Germany loss except it might mean that they play them sooner than wanted. Brazil needs to play better but they are definitely passing better than 2014.

Afram Island

Agust Agust
Jun '18

Andy congrats, first sports post in a long time without mentioning Baltimore!

eapos eapos
Jun '18

Props to Iceland but they looked like the USA at the last World Cup; hanging on but not going to make it.

US never sits 10 players behind the ball like Iceland did, its like they forgot there was another side. Great result for them. Arg wants to win next 2 to play the weaker team coming out of group C.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '18

Love the World Cup … takes my mind off the horrible season the Orioles are having LOL … all the stuff I've posted about Hackettstown sports history … Gary Thomas … awesome Tigers' soccer … awesome Blue Streaks field hockey … and here's a guy who says all I ever write about is Baltimore. You just can't win on snarky social media :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

Andy,

You're a good part of HL.

vw fan
Jun '18

Thanks. VW, that's the car with "Fahrfurgnugen" (or something that sounds like that) as I remember from radio ads in the 1980s ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

Well, if I say I'm pulling for anybody other than Italy, I'd instantly be in the doghouse with my wife and mother-in-law, and all their extended family. E-e-e-e-eh ITALIA :-D

Looked over all the groups, got all the latest news … no Italy to be found anywhere.

Ma-rone (or however you spell it, I hear it all the time).

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

big news from the World Cup
Moscow's beer supply is running low during the World Cup.

If they want any of ours, they'll have to pay a big-time tariff LOL

Vodka, anyone?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

Is that true about the beer? Thats awful, really.
I remember in 94 at the Meadowlands it was a huge party, a lot of fun, with the Norwegians enjoying the suds more than anybody.

Ronaldo putting a huge stamp on being best in the world, Messi needs a huge game for reputation and country to advance.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '18

https://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL8N1TL3YD

It's not just Moscow; it's pretty much all of Europe and it's due to CO2 shortages. Chicken processing plants in Britain could need to shut down as well.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '18

Like I said Andy, there is much precedence in poor performance following a World Cup winner. Germany played very poorly and deserve to not proceed. Brazil is grinning after their embarrassment last World Cup...

Been a long time since we've had a team other than New England win two straight Super Bowls, too.

I can relate to how tough it is to repeat. Was on a state champion basketball team my junior year of high school. We went 20-5 the next year, with all five losses being by a single point, including the state tournament second round. We were not as good in the closing minutes as we'd been the year before. Losing our All State point guard to graduation didn't help any.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '18

No back to back since 1962 with Brazil winning 1958 and 1962. Since then the defending team has most often played miserably with Italy, Spain, Brazil, and France giving great examples of this.

Lock up your pets.
Keep your opinion to yourself.
Stop preaching.
Turn on the World Cup today and join billions...

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '18

What else's to do on a rainy day ? Great game ! Rooting for France !

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Jul '18

A great tourney with a great final. Hope it generated some interest and new fans. Sorry to see it end.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '18

Was really hoping to see Croatia pull one final rabbit out of the hat. But that's OK. They did a great job even if they didn't win it all.

France was really impressive, after watching them beat Argentina I had a feeling they'd win it. Lots of credit to Croatia for their great run on the big world stage.

Little countries do have a chance to do big things! Too bad we can't say the same thing about world politics.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.