Bird flying into window

We have trees outside two of our front windows. For the past few days, we have had a bird repeatedly flying into the windows. It seems like it's trying to take off and ends up hitting the upper corner of the window and it ends up landing back on the tree. This goes on for 15-20 minutes at a time sometimes. I was thinking maybe it doesn't see the glass and doesn't realize it's there. Any suggestions on what we can do? I'm sure it's hurting the bird....and it's getting quite annoying.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
May '18

We had the same thing happen years ago.
The bird would hit the window in one specific spot, and bounce off into the close tree
near the window. I taped a 18 inch x 12 inch piece of aluminum foil on the window at the spot where the bird crashes into.

It worked.... I called it "The Looney Bird".

Embryodad Embryodad
May '18

Sue windex?

On a more serious note, maybe put some stickers or something on or in front of the window.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
May '18

This behavior is actually easily explainable. It is a male bird attempting to defend his territory against another male bird whom he sees as an invader. Of course, the invader is really his reflection! If you were able to stand on the branch from which the bird is taking off, you would see your reflection right where the bird is hitting the window. The bird hasn't really lost his mind... he IS a birdbrain, though. ;-)

All you need to do is cover where he sees his reflection (the spot where he is hitting the window) and the "invader" will magically disappear. He won't need to "attack it" anymore. Might save birdbrain from getting a concussion, and also your window from getting dirty.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Is it a mockingbird? I've seen them do this quite a bit.

We had a robin doing this last year, also perching on the side view mirror of the car and fighting himself in the mirror, so we had droppings down the car door. Had to cover the mirror with a rag. Have also seen this with the large windows at work, cardinals and blue jays flying into them or perching outside pecking at them.

Mating time seems to cause crazy in most species!

hktownie hktownie
May '18

All different types of birds do this. And yes, mating time is crazy time in many species lol!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

"Mating time seems to cause crazy in most species!"

Including the human species and other mammals!

@jd2 - Yes! And it's even worse when you have human males flying repeatedly into your windows!

Omg kidding and sorry for my crazy sense of humor. :-P

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I used to have a female cardinal doing this. We named her Lucy.

Blackcat Blackcat
May '18

I've got a female robin doing it this year. A few weeks ago, it was going on for more than twelve hours a day, starting at six o'clock every morning. I finally had to buy earplugs.

Since she's taken to her nest and incubation duties, the window strikes have decreased considerably.

Courtney
May '18

Holy cow - sounds like we need to give some birds helmets - males and females alike! This all seems very annoying lol. And 12 hours a day, Courtney? You must have wanted to make robin soup! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Tape a piece of paper to the window. It can see another window on the other side or a mirror.

hi, you also can place a picture of an owl or a real owl decoy in the window.
That is good for the bird to understand "a no-show"!

Re: Bird flying into window

I have a robin who lands on the windowsill of my home office. He lands, taps on the window twice, stays for another few seconds, then takes off again.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
May '18

“My” robin is hitting three or four windows, along with the sliding glass door to my deck. Actually, it may be more than one. I found four nests under the deck, and several partially constructed ones. There’s another nest in a small pine near my front porch—that occupant is the known window banger.

Much like Jersey Girl’s robin, she also stops at my home office window. One time she showed me her nesting material!

Much to my delight, I discovered yesterday that her eggs have hatched. Hopefully, once the babies fledge, she’ll move on.

Courtney
May '18

An owl decoy may prompt nesting birds to abandon their nests. A piece of paper is probably best.

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.