Driver's License / REAL ID question

I just renewed my NJ DL within the last month or so. It looks marginally different from my old one. Are they now TSA compliant? I'm going to be flying domestically in the near future and I'm wondering if I need to renew my passport which expired last October...

ianimal ianimal
May '18

I renewed my DL in December and flew domestically in March with it. It was no problem.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

I flew 2weeks ago and used my NJ drivers license as ID it was TSA complaint....

Whole lot easier to renew a passport with a current passport than with an expired passport.

Same goes for a drivers license.

Not that I've ever understood that. If it was valid yesterday- and expired today, it still contains the same info and was issued by the gov.

I'm actually going to go renew my passport this Friday. It expires in January, but I am going out of the country in November and you can enter most countries with a passport that is less than six months from expiration.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

NJ has an extension until October so TSA will still be accepting that until then.

I've been through a number of different passport renewals and haven't ever had all that much trouble. The difference with an expired one vs a current one is mostly the proof of residency. And even that is of more concern to states when doing a drivers license instead of a passport. The assumption probably isn't all that good, but a current license is required to have your accurate address on it. It's considered acceptable proof of residency.

One thing to remember when it comes to a passport - the time you need is not six months from entering the country, it's six months when exiting. If you're going for a few weeks that can be important if your expiration is close to the six months. I had the unfortunate discovery of that while trying to get to Paris right after the nightclub incident and my passport had six months and one week while I was leaving. But I was going to be gone for almost weeks. They told me at other times maybe, but after what they just went through, no way.

Re: Driver's License / REAL ID question

Just went through this today in NC - if you don’t have a gold star on the top right of your DL then it’s not compliant - NJ is not an enhanced DL state. Their current document will not be rejected by TSA until 2020 but the DMV needs to get folks compliment before then or you will need supplementary ID. Currently the only territory not compliant is Samoa - we have no idea what will
Happen in the future

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Skippy Skippy
May '18

This is the secondary documents you will require
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Skippy Skippy
May '18

skippy, I have to admit that you look a lot different in your DL photo than I've pictured you in my head all these years (-;

p.s. thanks for the TSA info... very helpful.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Lol good times Ian

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Driver's License with pix (and my pix is quite old -as am I) has been sufficient for any flights within the states...........nothing secondary required

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

That was supposed to have changed this year 4catmom, see here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/tsa-changes-deadline-for-real-id-to-2020-2017-12

justintime justintime
May '18

4cat - Did you even read the link? It said it was postponed until October 2018.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

we flew to phoenix in March/back April with no problems at all
I read the article and it does not to apply to nj licenses which are compliant-

... new requirements are being postponed until October 2018. That means that drivers licenses from the nine states — Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington — will remain valid for air travel until next fall. At that point, unless there's another extension, travelers from those states will need to carry their passports even on domestic flights.

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

uh yes - Calico696 I read it carefully -which is why I posted the excerpt above

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

Why don't they just implant the microchip and brand us all with the mark of the beast and be done with it? Why drag it out, little by little? Must be the frog and the pot of water analogy Jeff is always bringing up, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

NJ has the program underway to get compliant so you’re good till oct of 2020 - how many states are rolling this out - NC Included - is by making you get a real ID when you renew - this results in crushing lines at DMV because the the documents have to be scanned and sent to DHS and you need a morpho biometric scanned picture taken - the process takes at least 15 minutes when you get to the window. I would highly suggest being an early adopter or expect to spend the day at DMV when you renew.

“Travelers from other states which have begun issuing REAL ID-compliant IDs, can continue to use their current driver's licenses — even if they're not compliant with the act's requirements — until October 2020.”

NJ licenses are not compliant - you are operating under an extension

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/new-jersey

Skippy Skippy
May '18

To travel domestically, you only need a current license. Internationally, depending on the country, some are 3 or 6 months of expiration. The airline will not check you into your international destination unless the passport is current according to the country's entry law.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
May '18

as linked above there are any number of things you can use to travel domestically:

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

you can also answer Identity and Access management questions from a source of truth (credit report) if you forget your ID but that gets you a trip to enhanced screening and probably a missed flight.

skippy skippy
May '18

"I read the article and it does not to apply to nj licenses which are compliant"

No they are not, see skippy's post.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

“Travelers from other states which have begun issuing REAL ID-compliant IDs, can continue to use their current driver's licenses — even if they're not compliant with the act's requirements — until October 2020.”

This reads to me that the ones CURRENTLY being issued by NJ *are* REAL ID-compliant... however, you can still use OLD ones that are NOT compliant until October 2020 or when they expire.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Get a passport - then no problem- works for flights everywhere as of now

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

nope - you are on an extension if it doesn't have a gold star or some other approved DHS indicator its not compliant.

". While DHS recommends that states adopt the general design marking (aka "gold star"), per the REAL ID Security Plan Guidance Handbook, states may submit for DHS review and approval alternative methods of marking documents to clearly differentiate a compliant card from a non-compliant card. Those methods could include differentiation in color, lettering, and/or format."

they were trying to get compliant in 2012 with the 8 year tru-id licenses. ACLU killed that one.

https://www.aclu.org/news/state-settles-aclu-nj-lawsuit-agreeing-drop-tru-id-program

now New Jersey's 6 points of ID in some cases to include proving social security number and legal standing in the US could be compliant

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/ident_ver_posterpint.pdf

"Applicants must provide documentation of these elements.

Name
Address of principal residence
Birth date
Work authorization status or Social Security number
Evidence of lawful status in the United States"

remember they have to submit scans of these documents to DHS along with a biometric photo - I don't think they're doing that.

"Under REAL ID, states are required to use a face biometric standard that allows for facial recognition and authentication, but not fingerprints, retinal scans or radio frequency. "

so while it's not a far jump to get compliant - I don't think they are issuing complaint documents yet.

source cited: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

NJ big fat yellow extension

now - in some states like PA and NC you can say screw it and opt out.

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/REAL-ID-Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx#necessity

but your license will be marked "not for federal identification" and you will need a secondary document like our friend Mr. Doe

skippy skippy
May '18

http://nj1015.com/will-nj-residents-be-able-to-use-drivers-licenses-as-id-at-airports/

Here you go - they’re not issuing compliant documents yet, you’ll be given the option to opt out when they start and this article talks about the scanning and document verification

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Sounds like Nazi Germany to me - papers I need to see your papers!
Thank you George Bush Sr/Jr.

But you don't protest your rights - so have no sympathy for you!

Peace out

Freedom of movement under United States law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law

ru - People here are talking about boarding an airplane, not going around in a car, bus or train.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Ru that law applies to the "citizens of each state" so I guess you need proof that you are a citizen, not a guest.

Older Mom Older Mom
May '18

You can opt out and bring a secondary

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Whole lot easier to renew a passport with a current passport than with an expired passport.

Nonsense! As long as the passport has been expired less than 5 years it's no problem at all. You get the new passport in a few weeks , and the old one returned later in a different envelope.

Genius Genius
May '18

What is sad... I have NO to plans to fly anywhere, but do have relatives were I would need to get to in an emergency. And with basic SS as income can not afford a passport. Recently had to fill out forms to keep my post office box that I have had 52 yrs.....Yes, and went through Driver Lic renewal. Hey now tell me how many terrorists they catch, after putting us through all this..they will always get away with it. and WE will always pay for it....should be different.

Smile every day Smile every day
May '18

I just recently renewed my NJ license.. Last week to be exact. How do I know if it's real I'd compliant.?? Im hoping I don't have to pay for another one before this one expired

Laura p Laura p
Aug '18

Has anyone heard any updates on this? As it stands now, beginning/after tomorrow, a NJ license will no longer be acceptable to use to fly. I have read that an extension is pretty much a foregone conclusion (it seems that it would have to be at this point or it will be chaos at the airports) based on their progress is meeting the Real ID requirements for NJ licenses by next year, but they are taking their sweet time. We are supposed to fly in a few weeks and my wife's passport is expired, but I'm trying to avoid paying the expedited fee if I don't have to

The R The R
Oct '18

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs you have 2 years. 10/1/2020

skippy skippy
Oct '18

The R -

We just renewed my husband's expired passport a few weeks ago in preparation for an upcoming flight. He got his new one within two weeks of sending out all the paperwork. We didn't pay for the expedited service.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Oct '18

Also, NJ got an extension until Oct 2019 to use your license according to the DHS website.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Oct '18

Thanks, Skippy. I believe though that that October 2020 date is the hard date for every state to comply, and no further extensions will be granted after that date. There is currently a deadline in place of 10/10/2018 for NJ (every state has a different situation) whereby licenses will not be accepted, unless another extension (likely a year to October 2019) is approved by the federal gov't

The R The R
Oct '18

this article from a few weeks ago summarizes pretty well:

http://nj1015.com/feds-say-nj-licenses-arent-good-for-flying-after-oct-10-dont-freak-out/

The R The R
Oct '18

Ahhh thank you Smilingbecs! Didn't see your posts until after I responded! Good news....

The R The R
Oct '18

Direct from NJ motor vehicle web page:

The facts on “REAL ID” in New Jersey: What you should know.
“REAL ID” Deadlines
Effective October 1, 2020, individuals will not be able to fly commercially or enter certain federal facilities with a driver license or ID that is not “REAL ID” compliant. However, they may use a passport or military ID.
UNTIL THAT DATE, New Jersey driver licenses or ID cards are valid for domestic air travel.
The MVC plans to begin issuing “REAL ID” licenses and ID cards in the spring of 2019, plenty of time before the “REAL ID” program takes full effect.
One of the enforcement provisions of the 2005 “REAL ID” law provides that states must show their progress to the federal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on a quarterly basis, and each year must demonstrate satisfactory progress to be granted an extension to the following year or be placed in “non-compliant status.”
DHS officials have reported to us that they are satisfied with New Jersey’s progress, and we submitted our 2018 extension request as directed by them. As a result, our extension has been granted to October 10, 2019.

Getting Ready for “REAL ID”
Between now and Spring 2019, we are planning a number of steps to reduce the massive wait-times and blocks-long lines that some other states have experienced when they’ve begun their REAL ID programs.

We will make more transactions available online. In the coming months, you will be able to renew your registration, get a duplicate registration, or renew your standard (non-REAL-ID license) from an easy-to-use online portal – even from your mobile phone!
We will update our website so that you can easily learn what you need to know, including
Whether you need a “REAL ID” or a standard NJ license
Whether you need to go to an MVC agency at all, or can process your transaction online
What documents you should bring to MVC for your new “6 points” of ID
Which agencies have the shortest wait times so you can plan your trip
We will be improving our service in our brick-and-mortar agencies so that your trip is quicker and easier.

The implementation of the federally mandated “REAL ID” has caused headaches for many other states. We will likely be processing 3-4x as many transactions in the next year as in previous years – but we are working hard to make that experience as smooth as possible for the people of New Jersey.
Follow us on Twitter at @NJ_MVC or on Facebook for the latest updates!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Oct '18

Expect a sh-t show in NJ, they won't start issuing them until the spring of 2019. I moved to NC in April and my wife and I already have the Real ID license. As stated the law goes into effect on October 1, 2020 unless they charge the date again. I also highly doubt you will be able to do it online as there is good chance of fraud. In NC you need to go in person to get it and you can renew it online thereafter. In NC your license is good for 8 years not 4 like in NJ.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '18

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/04/next-year-you-wont-be-able-to-use-your-license-to-get-on-a-plane-but-nj-isnt-giving-out-new-ids-yet.html

update - that spring 2019 date is not happening either

skippy skippy
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.