Measles in Warren County

I just heard on the news that there is a measles outbreak in Warren county. Anyone know where this outbreak is?

Skier Skier
May '18

The truck stop off Rt. 80 in Columbia.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/health/2018/05/11/measles-warning-englewood-nj-and-ewr-newark-airport/602061002/

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Suck it, anti-vaxxers!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
May '18

Why oh why do we need more convincing. 90% chance of catching post exposure. .2% of those die so not too bad. A few scars, a lasting horrible memory and a new found deep everlasting distrust of your cheep parents :-/

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '18

I knew a girl in HS who died from measles. Her sister was in my class. Yes, SD, it's so bad.

Bad vaccines back in the day. Everyone had to be vaccinated again. Get your kids vaccinated a'holes.

maja2 maja2
May '18

sorry but I'm not putting aborted fetuses in to my child. Did you know the doctors can't even tell you what the hell they're injecting your child when they're giving them vaccinations. Before a physician injects your child shouldn't they know all that nasty crap that's in vaccinations. And telling us non vaccinations parents to suck it is ridiculous. So no you go suck it

Proud liberal Proud liberal
May '18

"sorry but I'm not putting aborted fetuses in to my child"

...What?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

Yep some shots are made of that

May '18

Go to the cdc web page and see for yourself....and other terrible things monkey parts and cows... Take a look.

May '18

Can you please post link to the aborted-fetuses-monkey-parts-and-cows CDC webpage?

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just having a hard time finding it.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Oh, geeze...Lol!!

positive positive
May '18

Some vaccines are incubated via fertilized chicken eggs. The eggs are ground up and fermented to cultivate the desired strains.

There are strict quality measures in place by the FDA and other country medicinal boards as to what and how vaccines are made. This is done ethically and in accordance with good manufacturing practices.

Check out the FDA’s Website at fda.gov for more information on the biologics manufacturing process and for anything else related, including the history on how the FDA came to be and how it insures safety and efficacy.

YeahRight YeahRight
May '18

Wait, now it's the FDA website? I thought it was the CDC. ;-) All I'm asking for is a link. Simple link to aborted-fetuses-monkey-brains-and-cows in measles vaccines. From one of these two government websites, please. Again, not saying the webpage doesn't exist, I'm just surprised at some of the things that have been shot straight into me.

Sounds like we have a couple people who may be pretty susceptible to measles acquisition around here.

OK SERIOUS QUESTION for the rest of you adults:

As long as you know you had all your shots as a kid, you're set, right? No need for titres ever, or boosters -- no matter how old and decrepit you get? Once you've had your MMR or MMRV vaccs as a kid, that's all you need to do and can do to be as protected as possible? Would an ID (infectious disease) doc give you a booster if you asked him, to increase immunity?

Believe it or not I DID go to the CDC website and couldn't get the answer to this question. I also asked DH, "Are there titres for measles for adults?" He said he had no idea, good question, not his specialty, maybe an internist or ID would know better.

So: anyone ever question their immunity to vaccines received as a kid, and gotten titred for the diseases in question? Or anyone here an ID doc or internist?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

My MMR vaccine had to be boostered when I was in college in 88/89. My TDaP was boostered shortly after I gave birth, both per the CDC recommendation.
My Rabies Pre-exposure was titered and I showed immunity.
None of my other vaccinations were titered. An individual would have to be titered soon after receiving each vaccine to be sure their bodies respond and had enough antibodies that protect.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

Rebecka:

Years ago, when we applied for a marriage license in Colorado, women of childbearing age were required to submit to a blood test for German Measles immunity and the Rh factor. So, I was titred and found to be immune.

My immunity came from a childhood vaccination.

Courtney
May '18

Interesting. Thank you for the very informative posts, ladies. I think I'll probably see an ID doc when I can, and ask him to be titred for anything "titre-able." Any childhood vacc's which can be titred, and also rabies, although I think I had a booster just 2-3 years ago. (Note to all reading this - you likeky don't need a rabies shot! Only those like 3wb and me who have routine exposure to possibly rabid animals do.)

I'm conerned that there are more and more non-vacc-ers and their children running around, and foreign-born individuals here who simply never received these vaccinations because it isn't routine in their county, and that diseases which should be rare in the US will now become more common. Would really prefer not to get the mumps or German Measles. Neither sound like a good time. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

You can definitely get a titer test although most docs I’ve encountered are very reluctant to offer one. They really would rather seem to give the shot which shocking to me. You can absolutely push the issue. I had a few friends do fertility treatments and they received the titer test as part of their routine blood work. One friend had to get her MMR shot again because her results came back that she didn’t have immunity. She was over 35 at the time.

Antimony Antimony
May '18

"They really would rather seem to give the shot which shocking to me."

Shocking as it should be!

I even have my pets at the vet titred before giving them any more vaccines other than their initial ones. (And I don't understand why most vets don't point out this option for people's animals to all of their clients. With titre results, I've saved my animals from getting needless vaccines many times.)

Can't even *believe* a human doctor wouldn't PUSH for titres instead of administering potentially needless vaccines. Maybe it is just easier for them? Laziness happens in all fields, unfortunately.

PS If anyone is looking for a great veterinary office which offers titres for your pets to avoid needless vaccinations, I highly recommend Pleasant Valley Vets in Washington. Wonderful office for many other reasons too. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I believe to each his own and we should never judge what others decide what is best for their families or selves.

I was vaccinated as a child. I had to get blood work for a new job at age 19 or 20 and had no immunity at all. Had to get the MMR again.

Get the vaccine.
It's better than having to bury your child.

Older Mom Older Mom
May '18

Rebecka, some elementary level basic research on “vaccine” and “egg” yields the following from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/how-fluvaccine-made.htm

Instead of spending your time writing snarky comments, how about actually trying to search on things? I gave you the FDA’s Website. There’s a wealth of info there. There are also the Warning Letters which are issued to violators.

Oh yeah, and I actually work in pharma.

YeahRight YeahRight
May '18

Fair, generally, agreed. But parents who don't vaccinate have children who live because most do vaccinate. They totally rely on that. Also, their children can expose newborns, at high risk of death, deafness, brain inflammation. Clearly, that does not trouble them. And carriers cause alerts that cause threads like this one.

maja2 maja2
May '18

@ YeahRight

When I read your original post, I thought you were somehow back-handedly supporting Proud Liberal, who seems to think there are some VERY interesting ingredients in vaccines. Everyone knows that certain vaccines are made with eggs (not a revelation to anyone) so I could not imagine what your point even was. I think I get why you said it now though.

Since you claim you are in Pharma, and as such must know better than everyone else here:

Can you 100% guarantee us all that, to the best of YOUR pharmacological knowledge, NO VACCINES are made with any of the following:

1) aborted fetuses,
2) monkey parts,
3) cows.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I can understand numbers one and two (although it sounds like hokey tin foil hat territory), but why number three , unless you are a vegetarian. If you eat meat, however, what does it matter how animal protein gets into your body?

DogOwner DogOwner
May '18

I don't eat cows. But I'd sure as heck still get a vaccination with a couple cow cells in it if it helped prevent me from getting and *spreading* any potential deadly disease. I would most definitely put aside personal idiosyncrasies for the greater good. Why don't people ever think of the greater good, instead of just themselves? That's MY real question.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

So you don't vaccinate your child Proud Liberal? Do everyone a favor then and keep your kid at home. Sorry but that's irresponsible.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

@Rebecka, remember how I mentioned the FDA’s Website in my earlier post? I highly recommend visiting it and reading up not only on the code of federal regulations but the actions they are taking to maintain safety and efficacy. I’m not going to do your research for you.

YeahRight YeahRight
May '18

Your non-answer means that either you don't know the answers to questions which anyone in Pharma should, or you don't want to say these answers out loud. I'm thinking the latter. Arguably for good reason, though.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

For once Metsman and I agree on something!! Woo-hoo! Seriously... Keep your kids home if you decide to be anti-vaccines. It's totally unfair that you put others at risk. More and more pediatricians are refusing patients whose parents refuse to vaccinate their children and I couldn't agree more. YOU are the ones that should educate yourselves.

"Keep your kids home if you decide to be anti-vaccines. It's totally unfair that you put others at risk."

I'm a little confused. Bear with me, I have no kids and was vaccinated to the full extent by my parents.

Why would kids who are not vaccinated be a threat to kids that were vaccinated? Isn't that the point of vaccine? So you don't contract the disease if you come in contact with it? Or is it that you are worried about younger children that might not have gotten all of their shots yet?

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Bingo Calico696, the latter. I have an 19 month old that is still gradually getting her shots. I don't need some 8 year old with no vaccinations coming into contact with her.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

I don't get it either. I'm vaccinated against Measles; so why should i be worried about being around someone who either has the measles and/or has not gotten the vaccine?

I keep seeing people scream about unvaccinated people, but who cares? If the vaccines really work (?) what does anyone else care who in the room is vaccinated, as long as YOU are.

In addition, I don't get the hysteria over these things. I had mumps, chicken pox and other "diseases" as a kid, as did my siblings and friends. I don't remember any of these "diseases" being that big a deal. My mom still talks about purposely taking your kids to "chicken pox parties" so all the kids would just get it at once and get it over with. Why are they such a big deal suddenly?

Heidi Heidi
May '18

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

“And carriers cause alerts that cause threads like this one.”

Even those vaccinated can be carriers....

justintime justintime
May '18

I know this is hard to believe, but unvaccinated children can die from getting chicken pox. Seriously.
And to those old enough to remember a time before the polio vaccine, what was that like?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

My aunt and mother are old enough to remember what it was like. They tell stories all the time about how their father would never let them go swimming, and how friends of theirs wound up being paralyzed or even in an iron lung, and they would never see them again. Very sad.

DogOwner DogOwner
May '18

I'd rather have aborted fetusea, cow parts, chicken, monkey whatever in my body than deal with and possibly die from a disease. Just sayin.

Melissa Melissa
May '18

Yea seriously... SMDH to people who are oblivious to what happened to people in the past that didn't have the option of being vaccinated.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

Vaccinations should be mandatory or just simply stay out of the public and put no one at risk.

“Vaccinations should be mandatory or just simply stay out of the public and put no one at risk.”

Why? If you’re protected why do you care?

If you’re concern is those who aren’t vaccinated being exposed, please read my earlier post to correct that misconception.

justintime justintime
May '18

Still ignoring babies. I guess their lives don't matter to some.

maja2 maja2
May '18

Not only young babies, but the immune- compromised, and elderly, and unvaccinated children

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

“If you’re concern is those who aren’t vaccinated being exposed, please read my earlier post to correct that misconception.”

justintime justintime
May '18

So ironic....my Obama care plan only has one, tier 1 doctor in the area. Seems like there are many more docs around according to this post.

Curious
May '18

Read it justintime. If someone who is vaccinated contaminates my baby, who the f do you think they got the germs from? Someone who had measles because they weren't vaccinated. Read that twice.

maja2 maja2
May '18

So ok, you’re good and understand that it’s you who would transmit a virus to your child, thanks. Most folks who parrot the emotional line don’t get that part, that hand washing and normal transmission prevention is the real defense and is what should be always be done regardless of the whatever the virus-of-the-day is.

I just wanted to be sure it was clear, because what that really means is that host transmission isn’t the real issue (only a small part as those who are vaccinated can transmit as well), it’s the fact that a virus exists in the world in the first place and should be eradicated. Believe it or not I agree with that goal.

However (you knew it was coming lol), *forcing* (as in threatening a person with physical harm) others to vaccinate does have consequences too. Do your part. Then continue to educate others to do theirs. But since you live in the same society I do, you also know that you’ll get more with honey than vinegar.

The sole difference between our views is force.

justintime justintime
May '18

Curious,
Too bad you don't have Medicare. Then you would have plenty of doctors to choose from.
You would also have to be somewhat older. Or Bernie would need to be president.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
May '18

I'm curious as to what others think about these adult vaccines.....

Like the flu vaccine, shingles vaccine etc.?

I personally have never gotten the flu vaccine and have never had the flu.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Yes Calico to answer your question. It takes time for babies to get their shots and become protected. I don't need my baby becoming horribly ill because some people don't believe in vaccines.

My immune-compromised kid shouldn’t have to hide in a bubble because anti-vaxxers think they know more then the medical community as a whole.

JosieMarie JosieMarie
May '18

I don't agree with force. I even quite agree with parents who prefer a less aggressive vaccine schedule. I just hope people who don't want to get vaccinated at all move to a ranch in Montana. Nice place.

I don't have time to read these posts either lol, funny!

maja2 maja2
May '18

Proud Liberal you're playing Russian Roulette.... Where'd you get your PhD? Glad you think you know better than people who stopped epidemics with these vaccines...

Metsman Metsman
May '18

Darwin had a theory about what happens to those who make bad choices. I guess if folks do not mind their children dying they should be allowed to not vaccinate. So long as they also keep their kids out of school and away from other kids.

Agust Agust
May '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.