Stock trading

Does anyone regularly trade that wants to trade ideas? It would be nice to compare strategies over coffee once in a while. I swing trade, but primarily sell/trade options.

Paul.11 Paul.11
Apr '18

I don’t do much other than play besides my index funds, but I’d enjoy listening and learning.

covered calls?

skippy skippy
Apr '18

I’m a finance major in college right now, but trade on my own. What do you usually have in your portfolio?

BusinessGuy1984
Apr '18

Skippy: Covered calls for me? I do sometimes. But, I prefer out of the money puts which may setup a covered call to get out of the position. Is that what you do?

Businessguy: There are a few things I look at. And it shifts.

I would rather meetup to chat. There are a lot of financial forums, but typing it all up would take too much time. Who is up for daytime meetups? Bring ideas of what you trade and why.

Paul.11 Paul.11
Apr '18

I am a full time retail trader. I trade futures and commodities daily. I also deal with options using various strategies weekly.

If your asking that question get ready to have your a$$ handed to you..get involved with mutual funds from Vanguard etc..slow and steady wins the race..some funds are a little more aggressive than other...more risk more reward!

Itiswhatitis
Apr '18

Mark, do you do it from home or locally?

itiswhatitis: Are you referring to me asking a question? If so, I have been doing this a long time and I am happy with the results. My A$$ is not getting handled...hahaha

So, no takers on a local daytime meeting?

Paul.11 Paul.11
Apr '18

Most reliable metrics indicate an overvalued market right now. We're nine years into a bull market and long overdue for a correction. Many companies are doing a lot of financial engineering, using things like stock buybacks to inflate their numbers, rather than selling more products.

If it's play money, like with the lottery or bingo, have fun. But don't gamble money you will need like this. As Itiswhatitis said, *nobody* can beat the slow and steady tactic of just doing index funds that mirror the S&P 500 over time. Nobody. It's boring, but it works.

I've reduced my equities dramatically recently (end of last year) in favor of CD ladders, money market, some short-term bonds, because I think we're at the end of this bull run and could be in for a long recession or correction. Remember: buy low, sell high. Buying now is buying high.

Just my opinion. Better safe than sorry. Greed kills. I've done incredibly well over the last nine years and locking it in since I'm close to retirement.

Hi Paul,

I trade from home.

Mark

Money Market? Isnt that where you simultaneously get low rates and no fdic insurance?

Right now I too am moving some to CDs, mostly to Ally. Getting ready to open some at CapitalOne down near Rockaway. Anyone use them? Hudson’s rates ruined by M&T so moving them.

Also doing early withdrawal on low rate cds as the 2.75% rates have a quick payback covering the tax deductible termination fee. Hopefully thats still a deduction....Not in that much of a hurry in that rates be rising still

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '18

I don't touch anything without FDIC. I love Ally as well. Their savings rates keep going up so we have a bunch parked there. I think they do CD ladders now.

Fidelity has a great CD laddering tool where they pick the best available rungs from any number of trusted financial institutions. I just turned around a run that matured to another 5 year rung that actually pays monthly.

Lots of great options for savers now, I'm glad we liquidated a lot of equities so we have options. Now more than ever sell in May and go away :-)

You said you did MMarket which I thought was not FDIC....

There's actually a tool for laddering? How weird..... I can't help but ladder even if I open all for 5 years...... After five years, I have a rung every year..... :>)

Also do ETF's, Index funds, lots of blended funds, annuities, REITs, oh crap, you name it, I do it. I like to call it diversification, but since confusion will be my epitaph, you get my drift.

One of my last good hits was Under Armor; that was a nice ride.

My problem with equities and open market is once I clear 15%; I set a lower limit at 5% profit. Most often, I lose patience and it doesn't take long until I "ladder' that limit upwards. Once I start this, the end is pretty inevitable. Pretty stupid but works for me.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '18

Yeah, I was shocked and pleased to see the laddering tools. It takes all the work out of it. The new one I just grabbed for a maturing rung (the monthly payment one) has a 3.15% coupon rate.

Now there are also bond ladders, which have a lot of advantages in the current climate. I was just reading an article in the current Money magazine (could have been Kiplingers since I read both today). I'm going to look into that.

Interesting tip, Guilty. TY.

Anyone else thinking Rite-Aid might be an interesting role-the-dice gamble right now? Certainly cheap enough.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

Growlife Inc Com (TICKER SYMBOL: PHOT)
Marijuana is the future. The stock, here, is a whopping $0.0148, however I bought 50,000 shares when it was $0.0008. Up just today %46.53. Now I’m up %76. Which equals $740.00. Wooo Hoooo! I’m rich...LOL. Actually it’s not bad, for a $420 (no pun intended) investment. Point is, check out the weed stocks. For a few hundred bucks, you can buy 20-50k shares of a couple of these penny stocks. It goes to a buck? That’s $50,000! I saw the PC correctness of pot coming back in 2016. Jeff Sessions made me a little worried, but those stocks are cruising. Better to stick with Canadian weed stocks, as they are rolling out nationwide usage. Definitely worth a chance for a couple hundred bucks. I’m still kicking myself for not buying Amazon, back in 1997 @ $2.34 a share, when the guy was selling books out of his garage. Who would’ve thunk it, huh?

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '18

Not the future. NOT Amazon.

#1- it is a weed. Literally anyone can grow it in their back yard or basement.

#2- no scale-ability. Limited price ceiling.

Limited retail base. Initial novelty surge and grandmas who were told drugs were bad their whole life- but say YOLO as they realize they are on the way out.

Once most states legalize the market will stabilize and share values will plateau.

Out of all the companies trying to profit and monetize for a quick buck- who do you pick before they go up in smoke?

Gee I bought Canopy at $6 and Tilray at $35....hmm. Made enough to pay my mortgage off and possibly put my kid through college. Some people said Amazon was all about books and who buys books on the internet.

It's all a matter of knowing when to get out...….

Old NY saying: when the cabbies are making money, it's time to divest.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

Got in on Tilray at 29, stopped out (thank the lord) at 200. Made a pretty penny. Right now I’m still holding Canopy.

Was very interesting to see the hype Tilray got, it was eerily reminiscent of BTC except Tilray actually had a tangible product and govt backing. Looking to take my profit and spin it on one of the smaller cannibis stocks.

BusinessGuy1984
Oct '18

Uber’s potential IPO may break records, be sure to lookout.

BusinessGuy1984
Oct '18

Tilray is an interesting company. A legalized smuggling operation that loans money to Cannabis companies. If Cannabis starts becoming legal, around the globe, Tilray could still explode. I’m still a little leary about that one. Glad you guys did well with it. I’m doing well with Aurora, Supreme, MJNA and Hexo. I’m a VERY small time investor. I would need MJNA to hit a buck, just to help the kids out. I wish I made enough to pay off a mortgage or the kids school. Now that’s winning! Good job. Does anyone use old fashioned fundamentals, anymore? I look at the P/E on some and shake my head. Most of these new companies don’t even show their P/E, yet. Canopy does.
Do those investment clubs still exist? A group of investors would pool their money, meet for coffee, once a week and discuss investing. Anything like that, in the area?

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '18

I'm not certain on Tilray, Canopy seems to be the stronger player. Just enjoying the ride now, but there is a big future in this. Who knows how it will shake out.

It will shake out with Con Agra owning it all :-)

Oct '18

I'm still long in a big way on Atari. They are moving the chess pieces behind the scenes in many many ways this last year.

Just today- the CEO of Atari rang the opening bell, and the head of their token project posted a picture of himself in talks with Richard Branson.

Interestingly enough, he appears to have taken the picture down- but you can still see it on this site- https://www.picbon.com/media/1892610648492314999_1266655738

Looking at the chart for Atari, they are on life support...

Its a bit coin play

Oct '18

Atari is neither on life support or pulling a bit coin ploy. Just recovering from bankruptcy a few years ago and now debt free, profitable, and staging a comeback.

They have soo many projects going on in the last year.

You don’t need to believe me. Time will tell.

Let’s see where they are at a year from now.

Just google atari bitcoin....

Oct '18

Here is a new article from today. The video at the top is completely unrelated as it is from the founder of Atari who sold the company to Warner in the mid 70’s.

http://fortune.com/2018/10/18/atari-ceo-q-and-a/

They have a new gaming console releasing next summer-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LStkGeUmR_0

They have a TV show on the discovery channel overseas, are working on shows for the US, and tossing around movie ideas.

.. and much more.

I don’t need to google any of the skeptic blogs. I’ve read it all. They have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. ;)

But I won’t talk about it anymore - just throwing it out there as a heads up.

You bought at 18 cents and now it is at 47 cents...

Sorry Josh, and not poo-pooing anything. I applaud anyone swinging for the fences on a comeback rally.

But your article and the CEO have four initiatives; the console is one and crypto is another. The crypto is interesting IMO in that its game focused. For the console, think about that— gonna have to be one heck of a value to break into that market. Like “plays all these fantatic newly invented games PLUS enhances everything you already have.” Or some other fantastic value equation. Its a long shot but best luck.

Oct '18

LOL Josh:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/atari-stock-jumps-52-on-plans-for-nostalgia-backed-cryptocurrencies/

Meh- that is just another clickbait article from someone taking a quick glance and forming an opinion.

Here is a new PDF they just put out about the upcoming releases-

https://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/PR-2018-10-24-Atari-Games-Line-up-VDEF.pdf

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.