Best bagel in town?

does anyone have any insight to who is making the best bagel in town?

Do a bagel shop crawl: Valley Bagel, Hot Bagels abroad, Budd Lake Bagel, Dunkin, Piggy’s, the supermarkets.

Personal research is your best bet. The search for the holy bagel!

I like Budd Lake bagel. The french toast bagel is the only one I think Piggys does better.

Hot bagels abroad
Hands down! Tastes like a NYC bagel

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Mar '18

Hot Bagels abroad. They are real bagels. Some of the other bagel places serve round bread with a hole in it.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Mar '18

Whatever happened to Harper's bagels?

Bug3
Mar '18

Absolutely Hot Bagels Abroad are the best, made fresh, hot and soft. Piggy's are cold and hard as rocks.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '18

Another vote for hot bagels abroad! Outstanding!

I echo Hot Bagels Abroad, they make them the traditional way with boiling in the process.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Danny,

I used to agree with you about Piggies bagels being too hard. They got rid of the old guy and now the bagels are better

The best bagels are at Denville Bagel on Route 53!!!

Hot under the collar
Mar '18

Hot under the collar - So now how do you compare Denville Bagel with Piggies and Hot Bagels Abroad? Which is the best?

DannyC DannyC
Mar '18

Denville bagels is by far the best out of the 3. But to be honest is too far to go just to get a bagel. If I am in that area I willl get a bagel there. I am not a fan of their breakfast sandwiches because they do not cook with pork because they are Muslim. They use turkey bacon, turkey sausage etc... so great bagels but not good breakfast sandwiches.

The dough at hot bagels is pretty good but I never feel like they put enough toppings on their bagels.

Piggies dough is ok in not as good in texture as Hot bagels but I think the flavor is better and the is always a lot of toppings on the bagels.

I like piggies breakfast sandwiches the best out of all of them. The only problem is you have to order by phone or you will get stuck waiting around for the sandwich.

So all the places have their pluses and minuses.

I am not a fan of Budd Lake Balgels but some of my friends swear by them. So I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Hot under the collar
Mar '18

I think Budd Lake bagels are the best around. Chester bagels are good too, and Muheisens in Washington. Further away, O Bagel in Basking Ridge.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '18

So who is making green bagels tomorrow?!?

Try Mount Olive Bagels in Budd Lake across Days Inn. They have the freshest, softest bagels ever. Tried Hot Bagels Abroad 1st time in a long time 3 weeks ago and was not pleased. Bagel was almost unedible bc it was so hard. I ate it but would rather make the trip to Mount Olive Bagels.

awhite1986 awhite1986
Mar '18

The best bagel place is right behind where they make pretzels on Mountain Avenue. It's right next to the quick check

Older Mom Older Mom
Mar '18

Piggys, they are making green bagels today !

All American All American
Mar '18

Muheisens in Washington is the best hands down! After moving from Washington in 2015 after 28 years the 2 things we miss are Muheisens bagels and NJ pizza. When we are in the area visiting we will stop by Muheisens and buy 2 dozen and freeze them. Yea not as good frozen but MUCH better then anything we can get locally in the Philadelphia suburb. We travel throughout the USA and have tried bagels at different places and none are as good as Muheisens.

NotIn NJ Anymore NotIn NJ Anymore
Mar '18

Older Mom- you’re thinking of hot bagels! I agree, they have the best bagels BY FAR.

I was super disappointed by Budd Lake bagels. Didn’t like them at all. I prefer Panera and Shoprite bakery bagels to BLB, to be honest.

But Hot Bagels rules!

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

The Best bagel is the one IN MY BELLY.

What's the best smear?

I like a little cream cheese on one side, jam on the other, slam em together and it's heaven.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '18

Toasted Asiago bagel with jalapeño cream cheese from Hot Bagels Abroard!!!!

Dadof3
Mar '18

Dadof3 - Oh yea, you named it!

DannyC DannyC
Mar '18

Hot bagels hands down!

Wtfinhtown
Mar '18

The bagel place by Five Acres flea market in Buttzville is really good. Might be better than Hot Bagels. Budd Lake Bagels are a little too small and tough, though the original BLB on 46 is much better.

Sprockets
Mar '18

Hot Bagels is the best!! Piggy's has good bagels but their cream cheese is like play-do.. Has no taste..

townie4life townie4life
Mar '18

Chocodog and I vote for HBB

Skippy Skippy
Mar '18

Thank you Valkey Bagel for the green and white bagel today!

Arla cream cheese is awesome.

happiest girl
Mar '18

I just went to Muheisens on my way to Phillipsburg. The bagels are awful. They taste like dirty pond water. When was the last time you had one?

we love Muheisen's also! go there every weekend and get a dozen for the week. There is always a line out the door!

Budd Lake Bagel.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '18

Burp, when was the last time you drank dirty pond water? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

We have Denville Bagels every Friday in the office. If you are looking in the Hackettstown area, Budd Lake bagels are the best.

I will have to vote for Muheisen's. not in Hackettstown but I think they are better then Hot Bagels Abroad

2 cents 2 cents
Mar '18

Budd Lake Bagels have a very strange taste.

As far a strong taste I very much enjoy a good pumpernickel bagel. It's my favorite by far. I do like Budd Lake's bagels.

Spreads?

Mt olive bagel has a Samoa cream cheese that is to die for

Second choice is bagel station in Sparta and their Horseradish cheddar cream cheese

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Panera Bagels are best for me. And better yet, they are always free!

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '18

Budd Lake Bagels in Budd Lake... not so much the location in Hackettstown... It has to do with the water they use. 100% Budd Lake Bagels - Budd Lake Location.... Staff is always friendly....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAMILLE PARKER CAMILLE PARKER
Mar '18

We alternate between Budd Lake Bagels-either shop-and Flanders Bagels on 206. A shout out to Long Valley Bagels for their hot pepper cream cheese...so good:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

Muheisen's is my favorite in the area. Hot Bagels Abroad would be second. When I was a kid, we always went to Watson Bagels in Irvington. They were the best, but sadly closed years ago. Real Jewish bagels, the way they ought to be.

Here's a little history....

https://www.virtualnewarknj.com/memories/weequahic/bodianbagel.htm

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

I think everyone should go get a plain bagel with nothing on it and then decide. You can’t judge a bagel itself with bacon egg n cheese or with jalapeño cream cheese. Eat it plain plain and then you’ll have an idea of who has the best bagel!

Bagel snob for life! Bagel snob for life!
Mar '18

Thanks to all who have posted on this subject!

After repeated poor service at Hot Bagels Abroad, it's time to try another bagel store.

Quit Bagels Abroad the morning they charged me a buck more for an omelette than the price posted on the wall.
“It just went up “.
b-bye

Stymie Stymie
Dec '19

Just fyi, my family has tried (from near and far) many bagel places to find a good, Brooklyn similar style & tasting bagel around NJ; And were lucky enough to find those @ Alfa Bagels. http://alfabagels.com/

Main reason: 1) It doesn't have that slightly undercooked or doughy taste that I've found a lot of shops/people in NJ like that way & 2) Their bagels are made much bigger than the average (extra larger than Bklyn ones where I think due to the increase of food/housing/etc costs in NYC, I've noticed Bklyn bagels have began to 'shrink')

However, since of course everyone from every different other place (NY&NJ, North/East/South&West) has acquired their own taste which they think is "the best', it should always be smart to try another bagel, appreciating everyone's tips, referrals, opinions, and foods taste-tested where to go, as a good head start.
Thanks all

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Dec '19

Alfa's make a good bagel, used to stop when I would take route 10 instead of 80 on bad traffic days

trick trick
Dec '19

Alfa Bagel is by far the best around. Anytime I am heading East I stop and get one there.

Hot under the collar
Dec '19

We like Budd Lake bagels!

Sport
Dec '19

Another vote for Alfa. Fantastic bagels.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '19

Panera’s are by far the best “San Fran” style bagel in the area.

Now, if I can just understand San Fran style.....

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '19

My office has moved but it used to be next to Alfa. After all the things I saw, I can't say I would recommend that place.

Alfa. They make a great BEC with them as well.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '19

I really like Hot Bagels. I've tried others, but always come back to them. Everything bagels are my favorite.

Hopeful Hopeful
Dec '19

GC, nooooo!! Bummer.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '19

Stymie

That is illegal for them to do. The price can't just "go up". They MUST charge what is advertised/posted. They are required to change the advertised price FIRST before charging it at the register.

This is from the State of NJ Attorney General's Office statement on 2019 Holiday Season Shopping:

"Pricing: Make sure you know the price of the item before getting in line for the register. New Jersey law requires merchants to clearly mark the price of items either on the items themselves or the display where the items are located."

The whole statement is at:

https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/News/Pages/11272019.aspx

The applicable law is:

"N.J.S.A 56:8-2.5. Sale, attempt to sell or offer for sale of merchandise without tag or label with selling price It shall be an unlawful practice for any person to sell, attempt to sell or offer for sale any merchandise at retail unless the total selling price of such merchandise is plainly marked by a stamp, tag, label or sign either affixed to the merchandise or located at the point where the merchandise is offered for sale."

I would have informed them that what they were doing is illegal to do until they change the display price and if they didn't correct their error and charge what's advertised, I'd have walked out without the food and without giving them a penny and letting them know I'd never be back. Been there, done that. I worked in retail too long to put up with such nonsense.

Of course you could have gotten a receipt, taken a picture of it with the advertised price on the board in the background, then filed a complaint with the Dept. of Consumers affairs, since you did try to solve the problem with the vendor, but to no avail.

By the way, yes, they are required to provide you with a receipt. It's up to you what to do with it, whether you want to recycle it, trash it or save it

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '19

Thanks for the info Phil D. --- Sounds good to apply to the "invisible ink" prices @ the Allamuchy General Store: http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/776095#t852684

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Dec '19

Sorry FTCFDA the prices have been on the menu at AGS for months.. Your attempt to stir that pot is useless.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Dec '19

Our family loves the bagels at Hot Bagels Abroad in Hackettstown. However, the place has gone down hill so we don't go much anymore. Dirty inside, has flies ALWAYS in the summer (both house flies and fruit flies), workers often don't use gloves when preparing your food or they wear just one glove and then touch your food with the ungloved hand. The same ungloved hand that's been touching money and wiped on their pants a bunch of times in between orders all day.....

I will have to try Alfa bagels now! Have always heard great things.

Harris Harris
Dec '19

Don't know about that, went to the Allamuchy store and had breakfast with friends, we saw no pricing? Had breakfast took out a loan, paid and left , its a general store , not a restaurant ! Food was ok, but it was the last time we went. Owner filled the coffee cups and charged us extra ! Cute but a bad way to meet new customers! Down town for me!

Robert Robert
Dec '19

another vote for budd lake bagel 2 on mountain ave. tried the rest, stick with the best

John Bigus John Bigus
Dec '19

Has anyone seen Bantam Bagels in a store around here? I got them a few times from
Shoprite in Mansfield, but now they don't have them. They're in the frozen section.

happiest girl
Oct '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.