ISO Free Kitten

I'm looking for a free kitten for a friend. Tia.

sully sully
Mar '18

Nobody's going to give you a free kitten.

brendan brendan
Mar '18

If you want the kitten for free, you probably shouldn't be getting a kitten. What about vet costs? Vaccinations? Spay/neuter? Food? Please rethink your choice. Animal lives are important, valuable, and require much time and money to maintain.

Mrs.Pepper Mrs.Pepper
Mar '18

There is no such thing as a free kitten. It will cost you later in vet bills and basic care.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

I so agree with Mrs. Pepper. Having a pet is a huge responsibility for the lifetime of the animal. There are many expenses involved. If you make the commitment to adopt an animal you are also making a financial commitment. If you don't want to spend money, don't get the kitten.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
Mar '18

Thank you Mindy's Mom, 3wbdwnj and Mrs. Pepper for your comments. I totally agree.

positive positive
Mar '18

Thanks! I appreciate all of your input. Never expected to be brought on trial for asking a simple question. Most of my prior cat's were born in a barn and many lived to be in their upper teens and all had shots and vet care so spare me the lectures. Thanks and remind me to never post a question here again. SMH.

sully sully
Mar '18

The original poster probably just meant no adoption fee... There are definitely "free" (no adoption fee) kittens out there, you don't always have to go through a shelter that charges extra just to adopt. There are a lot of instances where animals can be rescues and whoever is temporarily housing them just wants to find them a good home rather than charge a re-homing fee. I think that's what the OP means, at least I hope they understand there will always be future costs such as veterinary with a pet and they just don't want to pay re-homing. I really doubt OP doesn't realize that, we don't need to immediately jump down everyone's throat when they don't explain everything in detail.

OP I would recommend maybe Craigslist, just of course proceed with slight caution when contacting people on there but there are always listings for "free to good home" which I am hopefully assuming you meant

Call Father Johns Animal Hospital in Lafayette 973-300-5909 They can give you all the information you need.

The Man The Man
Mar '18

I got my 2 cats for free.. check a treasure hunt

Booster90 Booster90
Mar '18

"free to good home" which I am hopefully assuming you meant". Thanks CB, that's exactly what I meant,

sully sully
Mar '18

“Never expected to be brought on trial for asking a simple question.“

First time posting an animal thread, huh? ;-)

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

Sully-ignore the negative posts.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '18

Sully, your post "ISO Free Kitten" might have set off an alarm..I know it did with me.

Unfortunately, there are many people who just give away kittens without vetting the prospective adopters. Likewise, there are many people who want a kitten who do not want to go through the vetting process for various reasons, but many of their reasons are not good.

Actually, it's a lot less costly to adopt a healthy neutered/spayed, vaccinated, tested kitten from a rescue.

If you are interested I can give you the information and link to FURR.

Let me know

positive positive
Mar '18

Maybe he can pass along all this info to his friend who he is asking for.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

Sully - Here is my experience with my beloved Cinder: Got her at a local shelter when she was four months old, at a cost of $50, which is not bad, since she was already spayed and with all of her shots. The great thing about going to a shelter for a slightly older kitten is that you can determine their temperament, which is more developed than that of a six week old. Cinder started purring the minute I picked her up and started licking my hand. Now, after three years, she wakes me up at dawn every morning with the same affection. Still loves to play, and still a kitten, racing around the house.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '18

Sully, here's the link:

http://www.felineurbanrescueandrehab.org/info/display?PageID=9112

Again, the reason for vetting applicants is because there is a serious stray cat problem due to irresponsible pet owners.

Just take a look at all the found/lost cats on this forum.

I foster kittens and trap because of people's neglect. It's an absolute horrible thing to find a stray litter, filthy, starving and with infections and the saddest part is that it could of been prevented.

I'm not implying that your friend is irresponsible, just trying to bring some awareness.

positive positive
Mar '18

We got our cat from the barnyard sanctuary. While not free, she was only $20.

Njchia Njchia
Mar '18

I have two kittens, 150 months old each. Free to a good home, but must be adopted as a pair. Youngest son has asthma, so we are looking for a good place for them to go.

Check with local vets as many times their clients know of kittens available, many times for free to a good home. I see lots of posts on Facebook with kittens, but it does have an application and fees involved. Also check with Hopatcong pound as kittens and cats were only $20. Good luck.

animal lover animal lover
Mar '18

Please calm down. Obviously "free kitten" implies that the new owner will take care of all the shots, etc.

I bought my cat from a "rescue" clinic for $100, so was under the impression that he was going to at least start out "worry free"... Only to find (only after we brought him home) that he was flea-ridden. We ended up spending over $300 in pest control bills, all because of adopting from a "reputable" organization.

I don't think it should be much trouble finding a free or low-cost kitten. But definitely have him looked over for fleas and other bugs, and updated with immunizations, etc. Rescue organizations like to play on people's emotions (because the animals are so cute), but at the end of the day, they, like every other business, are just trying to make a buck.

CR37,

My daughter also has asthma. If your son's asthma is well controlled you may not need to get rid of the cats. My daughters allergist allergist suggested not getting rid of the cats because he said exposure helps with the allergy. He said that often times when people get rid of their cats it makes reactions worse when they are exposed to cats at other people's houses.

I am not a doctor but I just wanted to pass that along. Best of luck to you and your son!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

KiR, I can assure you that most rescues are hanging on by a thread, they are not 'trying to make a buck'. Many times the volunteers pay out of their own pockets to help the animals and they work tirelessly at fundraisers to make money for vet bills ..yes, rescues have bills, many times big bills, nobody makes a buck. Perhaps you need to volunteer and see how hard these folks work to save these animals so that they can have a home.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Mar '18

I have no doubt volunteers put a lot of time and effort into collecting and selling the animals. I understand these are dedicated animal lovers and I appreciate that.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I already do volunteer work, but choose to dedicate my time, effort, and funds to help people. It's all good, we can each have our own opinions and priorities.

Best wishes always.

We got our FREE kitten 7 years ago from Craigslist. Lady lied and said she was fixed. No problem. Took her for shots and to be fixed. Best cat we ever had. Love her to death.
Nothing "sinister" about it.
Good luck Sully. Hope you find a great kitten to love like we did.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '18

Rescues groups do not "collect" or "sell" animals, how can you say such a thing, rather they clean up other people's messes, work hard and adopt these animals into new homes, the adoption fees are put towards vet bills. Rescues need volunteers, but not someone with your attitude.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Mar '18

Exactly, Nature Lover. Rescue groups are nonprofit, strictly volunteer. No one makes a penny and like you said, many volunteers spend money for care out of their own pockets.

KIR, I'm sorry you had to deal with a flea issue, that should've never happened. All the pets under a rescue group's care are supposed to be treated for fleas.

Anyway, I hope your kitten search works out for you Sully.

positive positive
Mar '18

Not all rescues are strictly volunteer, st Hubert's has full and part time staff. But without volunteers shelters could not function. Running shelters is expensive, fundraising is hard and the emotional toll is heavy. The only buck the shelter is trying to make is the buck that can save another animal.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.