St Patrick's Parade

What a wonderful parade today! Thank you to the BID and all who helped!

Sport
Mar '18

Great job organizing the parade, nice to see all the groups. On a more sour note I hope next year they can have at least one cop out on sidewalk patrol. I thought spectators were supposed to stay on the sidewalk. There were grown adults all over road talking,and taking pictures with their phones. We got there an hour early to get seats set up for toddlers, and at various points people thought nothing of standing right in front of us in the road completely closing the view for the kids. I don't mind telling people to move, which I did, but some rules for people who have no respect for others would be appreciated..

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Denis——This is why I stopped going to the parade a few years ago

Lamppost Lamppost
Mar '18

Re: St Patrick's Parade

The people in this picture are all good 5 feet away from the sidewalk, thinking nothing of blocking other people's view.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Beautiful day for a parade, if I could have seen it. I got their nice and early with my kids and my chairs. By the time the parade started we couldn’t see a thing and it got worse throughout. I thought the curb was the limit. It would be nice if this could be enforced somehow. Only if people had a clue of some unspoken social rules, don’t stand in front of others watching a parade. Rude!

Zebra2 Zebra2
Mar '18

Denis, I agree with you 100% and came to HL to post a Very similar comment. What you described was completely accurate. Children were running and some were shoving to move further than they already were into the road to get the thrown candy. Beside my husband and I was a family with 4 little boys. The boys sat at the curb and Never ran out to Grab the candy and fill their pockets; Not One Time. I was sad to witness both bad mannered adults and children. There were many who were too far into Main St. and too close to some of the moving vehicles and trucks as they passed. At previous Parades I believe there were people who went up and down Main Street and asked people to please stand back. That was a good idea. The Parade itself was Very Good.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '18

Yes...I also had a group of kids and adults standing literally right in front of us well into the road. Our many attempts to kindly ask them to move back went on deaf ears. I appreciate all the efforts of everyone putting it together and think it is a wonderful parade but unfortunately the rude group of people next to us could care less we were staring at their heinies the whole time.

Missymiss Missymiss
Mar '18

"Talking and taking pictures with their phones" you do realize you were at a parade right? If you want silence go to a theatre not the St. Patrick's Day Parade!

Htown Htown
Mar '18

It first started off as an enjoyable time with neighbors then with my kids. But i have a few pet peeves with the parade and it becomes less enjoyable every year.

1. People show up so late and drive through the line up when it should be shut down. This forces vehicles already lined up to move just to get mom's mini van out. Once you're finally back here comes another one.
2. The rule about handing candy out seems to be forgotten. No one enforces it. People still toss it out of the vehicles. Causing some to fall short and kids run out to get the candy in front of the next vehicle.
3. As the parade goes on the sides of the route keep closing in closer and closer. As you can see from the picture i attached it is hard to see who is in the parade and who is watching it on the right.

It’s hard to blame children for bad manners when their parents are doing the same exact thing.....unbelievable!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

The St. Patrick's Parade today was great as it always has been in past years. Thank you to the BID and all who helped to make this event a very successful one.

joyful joyful
Mar '18

@Htown clearly the post went right over your head. "If you want silence go to a theatre" Did I say anything about noise??? My complaint was about rude people standing out in the middle of the road, blocking everyone else's view. The people in my picture including the lady taking pictures all got there late, didn't think twice about going out in the middle of the road and blocking the view of everyone that got there before them, mostly kids. Disgusting!

Denis Denis
Mar '18

@htown -- I don't think anyone wants silence, just common courtesy

Missymiss Missymiss
Mar '18

OMG Denis get a grip. The parade was fantastic and everyone I was with had a great time. Next year stay home!

Scottso Scottso
Mar '18

Sorry, photo didn't post before. It just makes it hard for drivers. You have to constantly watch both sides of the road.

@CJ, yes clearly a dangerous situation that is preventable. What were you driving?

Denis Denis
Mar '18

It was a great parade! Made me proud to live in Hackettstown, lived here on and off since 1968. A wonderful town with great people. Cheese and crackers, get a grip!

sully sully
Mar '18

Scottso I didn't say I had bad time, and I'll be there next year. Maybe you enjoy staring at someone's fat ass, I'd prefer to watch the parade unencumbered by rude adults, especially for the kids I'm with sake who are all toddlers. I don't think it's asking too much for the rules to be encouraged if people lack basic common courtesy for others.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Negative comments from htown and Scottso. They probably were the ones standing in the road.

Petunia 17 Petunia 17
Mar '18

I tried to start a positive thread, yet so many of you ----- and complain. Maybe you should volunteer for the parade committee next year!

Sport
Mar '18

Great parade!

Goatboy Goatboy
Mar '18

Nobody’s saying it wasn’t a good parade. They just wish they could of seen it. Rude parents and out of control kids ruined it. Common courtesy.

Zebra2 Zebra2
Mar '18

We need some cheese on this forum to go with all the Wine.

Great Parade!

Goatboy Goatboy
Mar '18

Can't people show concern about something without being bullied?

People standing off the sidewalk blocking other's view is just plain ridiculous.

Jeez if adults act like this, I hate to see what their kids are going to act like.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

No whining required if we lived in a society where people took one second to consider how their actions affect those around them and actually cared about how their decisions impacted others. Its funny (sad actually) that I believe most folks do consider others, but it’s become socially acceptable to no longer care if they’re being selfishly rude or not. After all, our politicians and comedians and “news” sources get away with it all day long...

I guess this is the society we want (I’m getting what I need - to hell with anyone else), apparently, so it is what it is...

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

Thanks for all that came out. When the weather is as great as it was yesterday we get all over 10k people in attendance. Keep in mind the entire parade is run by 2 BID staff and 11 volunteers so if anyone wants to help out with crowd control feel free to contact the BID. They have an entire box of green “parade staff” sweatshirts that they can’t seem to find people to wear. You’ll have a great spot to see the Parade!!!

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

The people "standing in the road blocking other's view" isn't new this year, it's been happening in previous years as well. Which demonstrates why I'm not a fan of "people" lol... consideration seems to have gone out the window with the self-absorbed "ME generation", oblivious to all around them. Shame.

And that goes DOUBLE to drivers like that- I have literally narrowly avoided 3 serious accidents in the last 6 months, either because people were texting while driving, ignoring stop signs, pulling out into traffic just "expecting everyone to stop for the king"....

There's a word for these people: Aholes.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '18

The 27th NJVI Civil War Reenactors had a great time as usual for our "walk" down Main Street. Next stop NYC!

John C John C
Mar '18

10k people? On second thought, perhaps there just isn’t enough room for 10k people?

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

+10000000000000 JR!!!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '18

Anyone has a link to the pictures? In the past they post it in NJ.com or the Lehigh Valley live. Please share if you do have it. Thanks.

momOf2 momOf2
Mar '18

It was a great day for a parade and we had a lot of fun. Of course there were rude people around us, but that is to be expected. We did our best to keep our kids on the curb and to share the candy they collected with the kids near us that didn’t get any. Unfortunately there were some teenagers next to us that never got that lesson (they took candy away from preschoolers on more than one occasion!), but we took the opportunity to tell our kids that is what not to do. Overall good job to the parade organizers- it was a great event!

JosieMarie JosieMarie
Mar '18

" Of course there were rude people around us, but that is to be expected."

And that is the problem: not only is it "expected", it is ACCEPTED.

Mar '18

I know one photographer was up late last night editing her pictures, I'll see if she can post them later today

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

Thanks Jim!

momOf2 momOf2
Mar '18

I don't go to the parade anymore for the reasons cited above. A couple of years ago, my kids and I secured a nice spot in our chairs only to have people rush up to stand in front us once the parade started. Had an exchange of words with an unruly millennial and my cooler head prevailed not to create a scene.

mike l mike l
Mar '18

This is what happens to a society when you give away free stuff. Until someone is hurt, no action will be taken. If it gets bad enough the marchers will decline their invitation to march because of the liability. What a shame.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

Loved the parade. The mummers were both great. The Morris Police pipers were excellent and really liked the Ulster Scottish Pipe Band. Many other great great groups too. What a great day for the weather.

Thanks to everyone that made this possible.

Njherald.com

There’s a photo gallery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8yNJ9yC_o

Here is the video of the entire parade. It's funny to see how empty the sidewalk is at this part of the parade. There were definitely pockets of open space people could have sat to see the parade but for some reason the majority were all grouped together between Grand Ave an Plane St.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

@JimL to my original post.
"Great job organizing the parade, nice to see all the groups"
"I hope next year they can have at least one cop out on sidewalk patrol."

I don't think anyone is criticizing BID or the organizers. I don't think crowd control, and enforcement of basic traffic laws like don't stand in the middle of the road during a parade ( see picture ) should left to people in green sweaters, or to residents who come out to enjoy the parade with their families. Instead of multiple cops standing around blocked off intersections, having one officer walking up and down main street would get the job done, since it's seems common courtesy, and common sense is declining every year. It's an easy solution, and It seems like it should be normal protocol for large town wide events.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Denis, I look forward to your volunteering next year!

Sport
Mar '18

Sport can you read? "I don't think crowd control, and enforcement of basic traffic laws like don't stand in the middle of the road during a parade ( see picture ) should left to people in green sweaters, or to residents"

I kept the area in front of my family clear, but again that shouldn't be incumbent on people who come out to enjoy the parade and who follow the rules of common courtesy, and on a more serious note there is a safety issue with adults and kids in the road of an active parade.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Denis (and others with the same experience of spectators spilling into the streets) is absolutely spot on. It is a *great* parade, but could be so much more enjoyable if spectators respected others by not standing in the streets in front of others. It is also why we stopped going.
Having police presence or physical barriers along the parade route could help.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

Like jiml mentioned there was plenty of room. If you went toward mountain ave you could have all the view you want. If you decided to squish in with everyone higher up main street there was no need. Next year just move closer to mountain ave

@Jdem, sorry I find the premise absurd that residents who have come to enjoy the parade with their families on Main st for years, and follow the rules should be forced to move down to Mountain ave to accommodate those who don't. Especially when the solution is simple.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

This is the kind of situation that can spiral very quickly into mayhem.

People shouldn't be in the road.

Seriously, if there is not any cooperation from the police and not enough volunteer manpower to keep the crowd back, then maybe its best to not have the parade.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Mar '18

I seem to remember Jim working the parade a few years ago telling people to back up and making sure people stayed on the sidewalk.....this year he is seen walking in the parade with the mayor.....Jim we need you back!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Denis, yes I can read. You are needed to volunteer on the committee to help raise funds because everything costs money. The police charge the BID to work the parade, they are not free. Also, I believe they charge overtime rates. I am sure the committee would welcome all the help you could give. Even the bands are paid.

Sport
Mar '18

I'd say it's pretty obvious why everybody congregates from Plane St. westward. All the public parking lots are from Plane St. and to the West and I'm sure that people don't feel like heading further away from where they're parked, but are more likely to infringe on other's view by plopping themselves in front of people already there.

Another likely reason is that the vast majority of the stores are in that area, as well as available bathrooms.

That said, it's definitely obvious that Hackettstown as a parade venue could be even better if a solution to those issues were found. The only private business I can think of that I'm pretty sure is closed Sunday is Valley National Bank, which could accommodate about 30 cars or so, but would likely need their permission and signage of course. The Middle School could also offer quite a bit of parking. Of course the bathroom issue would still exist, unless a local business would offer them for free for advertising space on the website, which could also show the alternative "extra" parking.

I hope my ideas help. If any of that is already done, then my apologies. I've never had the opportunity to attend one of the St. Patrick's Day parade, so I'm not sure of all that may or may not be already addressed.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '18

Sport it seems to me that paying one officer to walk the street for 2 hours would make more sense than paying a couple of them to stand by their cars at the same intersection for 2 hours. A total lack of active police presence on parade route seems mystifying to me, and I'm not sure why an active duty for that day wouldn't be assigned that job anyway without any additional cost to BID. I haven't criticized BId anywhere, I praised them in my original comment. My question was why is there zero police presence?? Also others mentioned barricades, and that also seems like a simple solution. At least on the popular section of Main St.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Shouldn't the parents police their own kids and just have common decency not to cut in front of others who were there in place first?
And it looked like the cops were telling people to move back where they were stationed.
The simple fix is having the candy that draws the kids to the road stopped or just hand it out.

Justpassinthru
Mar '18

Thank you Jim L and IRun. I went to NJ Herald earlier but I did not go to the Photos and Videos, but got it. Thanks again!

momOf2 momOf2
Mar '18

I thought Hackettstown had a cop"walking the beat"

" total lack of active police presence on parade route seems mystifying to me, and I'm not sure why an active duty for that day wouldn't be assigned that job anyway without any additional cost to BID."

Denis you still need to police the rest of the town so all normally scheduled police for that day are out around town. All police that were brought in to traffic and help with the parade are additional staff for that day with additional cost to the BID. We have brought in barriers for the corner of Grand and Main as that arc was getting tighter and tighter with people standing in the street. But again those barriers come with a cost. So adding more along Main St would be costly, not to mention the man power needed to put them up and take them down immediately following the parade. The only thing about the parade that doesn't cost money is volunteers which are hard to find. In an ideal world we would have 2 volunteers on each block of main street for crowd control but that will probably never happen as less and less people get involved.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

We have been going to the parade for several years and this year by far the kids were way to far in the road. I know this kids are excited and love the Free Candy but I felt the parents were very relaxed in keeping them back close to the curb. It was very hard to enjoy the parade. We got there early to have a good viewing spot. I am a mother and my mothering instinct will always come out and these kids were so far in the road and the parents not doing anything. It made me very nervous..I did enjoy what I could see of the parade but it is just not the same and getting out of hand with the lack of control of the kids. Someones child IS going to get hurt, just a matter of time..

Mom of 3 Mom of 3
Mar '18

Someones child Is going to get hurt.........then the lawsuit to the town will cost much more than sufficient police coverage. If these events are to continue, and hopefully so, the police, not volunteers without authority, need to be part of the whole function. Just my 2 cents but times are changing and not always for the better.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '18

All items must be given HAND-TO-HAND at the curb by walking along the parade route next to spectators. It
is very dangerous for spectators to run into the street for candy or other hand-outs. No throwing is permitted.

seems like a simple idea

It's very simple. As the event grows so does the budget to produce it safely. That is just good business and common sense. If the fees associated with the basic safety requirements such as police, set-up, break down etc can't be covered by a budget then the event does not exist. Counting on volunteers in positions of authority is not the way to go and invites liability for the event organizer in the event of an incident.
As far as rude, inconsiderate people standing in front of others and allowing their children to run wild, well sadly that is all too common I'm afraid. It comes down to self respect and respect for others.

As an aside, I find it totally unnecessary to toss candy at a parade. That greatly adds to the issues mentioned as well as creates a big safety issue. If kids need the candy so badly then visit Tracey's on Main Street or go to Sprawl-mart and get junior the big bag. It should be prohibited and enforced at a parade.

Denis, I agree that this issue is a problem. I also know you are not criticizing the BID, I just wanted to let you know that everything costs money and in order to do it all the BID needs help! Thanks!

Sport
Mar '18

The budget comes from sponsorships. This parade is fully funded by the generous businesses we have in town that are willing to be a part of this event.

Parents need to control their kids. Simple as that

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

I think the people that want to give out candy that's fine just walk down the sides oh the road and hand it out.

"Parents need to control their kids. Simple as that"

judging by Denis's picture.....parents need to work on themselves!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

we are having our wrap up meeting tomorrow night, I will pass along the concerns on this thread and see if we can come up with a solution for next year's. Maybe a simple rope along the sides of the roads to control the crowd might work.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

JimL, the forum represents a small sampling of the local residents. As you can see many have stopped coming to the parade, and others are frustrated by the lack of crowd control. The adults standing in the road are the biggest problem when it comes to others being able to enjoy the parade, and the children standing in road the biggest safety concern. I know everything cost money, but as I said crowd control, and enforcing basic safety laws ( don't stand in the middle of the road ) should be left up to the police. I think money spent on one officer walking the route for 2 hours would be well invested. I appreciate that you will be taking this up tomorrow night.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

What is St Pats day coming to? Used to just worry about the drunks causing trouble!

eapos eapos
Mar '18

Dennis, while I agree that people standing in the road is rude and inconsiderate, 1 officer walking from Grand Ave to the cemetery is not enough to solve the problem. By the time he is around Center street, people back down by down Church Street would be back out in the road. I also disagree with your statement "you can see many have stopped coming". I was just saying (to a friend at the parade) how many more people there were and how I had to park more blocks away then in past years. I think it's really gaining popularity.

....and to Jim's point....YES...people should control their kids. I was there with 3 of mine 8, 5 and 2. They were not in the road because I did not allow it.

Wtfinhtown
Mar '18

"I was just saying (to a friend at the parade) how many more people there were and how I had to park more blocks away then in past years. I think it's really gaining .popularity."

All the more reason to have adequate police and other crowd control apparatus

Greg the meeting tomorrow night is open to the public. 5:30 BID office on Main St, since you have all the answers I suggest you attend. That's how I first got involved :)

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

Thank you for all the hard work that went into this parade!! Love that we have this in our town. I know many towns end up having to put barriers up because of crowd issues, I'm sure that costs money and time. If people would just be respectful and stand behind the curb it wouldn't be an issue. I walked for awhile before I meant up with my friends and yes some areas had barely any people. If you arrive late walk a few blocks to get that front row spot, instead of cutting in front of someone. We were lucky we only had a few rude people by us. The nice people next to us made up for it! They gave candy to the girl that was with us, when she couldn't get any. I was also shocked by the amount of driver's giving the crosswalk guards a hard time. Trying to turn down blocked off streets etc. I wanted to jump in and help the one lady but didn't want to cause more stress for her. It's a fun day, if people could just put their best foot forward we could all enjoy it!

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '18

I don't have all of the answers. I am not criticizing the event as it is handled today. Just a cursory observation from the recent comments posted and what I noticed the last time I attended the parade.

What I do have is over 25 years of experience creating, planning all aspects of, and implementing public events ranging from 20 to 20,000 people. I collaborated in creating the business plans for numerous public events as well as the entire budget process including securing sponsors. I was also part of a team of event and festival planners that were invited and traveled to various large scale public events around the state offering our expertise and experience to other venues

The most important statement I can make regarding an event like this is to be proactive not reactive when dealing with large groups of people particularly with a high percentage of children involved.

Don't feed the troll Denis

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

I don't get it. Can't you people just say Excuse Me could you please move so that others can see.Thank you. I have done this many many times and never had a problem. Remember to always say thank you.

Snowflake
Mar '18

And if "Exsqueeze Me" doesn't work, there's always the Jersey "Yo, down in front" with emphasis on the YO.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '18

No Snowflake they obviously can't. People on this forum display everyday how common sense is completely a lost art form.

Is the suggestion to ask someone to move when it’s *obvious* that the offending person intentionally chose to block your view?

Seems backwards to me.

Perhaps be aware of your choices and how they will affect others? Or is that just too obvious a question to ask?

justintime justintime
Mar '18

@Don, yes common sense is a lost art form, like standing in front of someone is rude.

@snowflake, here is a wider angle picture, notice the open space in front of me, vs. the late arriving people standing in front of everyone else in the middle of the road to the right. That is from me spending the better part of the parade telling people to move.

@justintime, amen what happened to basic common courtesy. What kind grown adult stands in front of kids at a parade???

Denis Denis
Mar '18

It's not always easy to get people to move either. Some people get nasty when you ask. We ran into a store before the parade started and when we came back we couldn't get through the sidewalk because people that came late decided to put their kids chairs on the sidewalk and stand behind them. In the middle of people who were on both sides of sidewalk who arrived early. We said excuse me to try and get through and got some nasty words back. All the adults had to do was move to the side to let us pass and it was a huge deal. Common courtesy people, tons of room to watch the parade spread out or arrive early if you must have a specific spot!

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '18

Not only is this blatantly rude, it is also dangerous! SOMEONE should have been responsible for crowd control! Those people are at least 6 feet from the curb!

Deviljet
Mar '18

When our group was marching we did have to side step kids picking up candy in the road. The group that was in front of us dropped a lot of candy close to the yellow line instead of giving it to the folks on the side. This was the first year I really noticed this problem.

John C John C
Mar '18

"Is the suggestion to ask someone to move when it’s *obvious* that the offending person intentionally chose to block your view?" Except that the intentional part is a judgement call by you, in this case based on a photograph and third party account.

And is your suggestion to ask them if they were aware of their choices given the affect on others? If I am reading this right and that's your point, then yeah, I'll go with that it's just a little too obvious to ask. Yeah, that one.

Then it's ""Yo, down in front" with emphasis on the YO." Now that's obvious.

Mar '18

I am not a troll at all. That is how I truly feel and not saying it just to get a rise. Absolutely ridiculous when people complain about stupid garbage like this. Learn from it and do something about it next time instead of coming onto a forum and complaining about where someone stood or sat that happened to be in front of where you sat.

1. Get there earlier next time to get a front row seat
2. Put the phone down, get up out of your chair and say something to the people who are impeding your view from 100 yards away
3. Stay seated with your camera phone out, and say nothing and deal with the view you have, and keep your mouth shut about it if you didn't do anything to fix it
4. Stay home for the next parade so you don't have to be disappointed and again dont have to bring this garbage up in a forum.

jolly rodger jolly rodger
Mar '18

@Denis - Do you notice the volume of people who are standing or sitting curbside for this parade and not sitting a mile away? But I guess it's the hundreds of others who are at fault....Not to mention you clearly see the huge opening curbside directly in front of you, why wouldn't you just move up to curbside and enjoy the parade like everyone else.

Again not a troll here, as I am not looking for a rise in anyone, in fact the nonsense of the OP got a rise out of me so I am sharing my true thoughts. I did not come on here to post something dramatic and fictitious to get a rise out of the group.

jolly rodger jolly rodger
Mar '18

jolly rodger - maybe you're thinking that tan color (where the people are standing) is part of the sidewalk? To me that looks like the actual roadway (covered in salt/sand).

The child in the green jacket IS on the edge of the curb (as close as anyone is permitted to be to the parade except for the rude people that walked INTO the street).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '18

@Jolly Roger, you really are clueless, I was at the edge of the sidewalk, those people are not standing curbside they are in the middle of the road, only a few feet from the middle. My Grandson in the picture is at the very edge of the sidewalk. You need to get your glasses checked, and try reading all the comments. Yes there was an opening in front of me because I spent the better part of the day telling people to move. I did get there an hour early, and I was sitting curbside, not only are you a troll but your a weak, and lame one at that. You deleted your last comment after your realized how foolish you looked. If it's a garbage post then don't comment on it if you have nothing productive to say, I really don't think anyone cares "how you truly feel"

Denis Denis
Mar '18

@Mark Mc, yes 100% correct salt covered road.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

“Except that the intentional part is a judgement call by you, in this case based on a photograph and third party account.“

Gee, I don’t know. I learned in kindergarten not to cut in line, to share, etc, so yeah, if folks are lined up along a parade route - *obviously* there to *watch* the parade - and I choose to stand in front of them, it really is obvious (not to you, I get) that not only would I be blocking their view but also that I didn’t give a rats behind about it.

If that works for you then why would you be concerned that others would be upset by it? You’re getting what you want, right, and to hell with anyone else. That’s how you roll...

justintime justintime
Mar '18

@justintime, yes some things are just so bloody OBVIOUS you wouldn't think they need to be explained.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Aside from the rudeness and blocking others' view, the pic from inside the vehicle shows this is clearly a safety issue. Parade officials or police officers who are being paid to be there, should be keeping people out of the street for safety's sake.

No regrets
Mar '18

Can't stand all the rude people so I don't go. I am curious, I thought throwing candy was against the law. Maybe people in the crowd should throw candy at the kids if they are in the way....

Acl76 Acl76
Mar '18

Why stop at throwing candy at them? Throw bricks. Or just hit them with your car. That'll teach them.

Ugh.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Mar '18

stop bitching and join the BID as a volunteer. is this the let me cry about everything is wrong forum and can suggest better but actually do nothing....sounds like it.

if your so mad, upset, the law was broken, etc get involved and make a change.

your keyboard means nothing and your posts accomplish nothing, take action.

or shut up and enjoy the hard work of others.

the parade was great, good work to all involved and those who dedicated time to promote, improve and entertain our town.

Goatboy Goatboy
Mar '18

Goatboy i love the parade my daughter has walked in it for a few years. I have to agree with the others comments though its kinda broke to a free for all. Now, not getting into what happened this year to me, but lets just take the guy who was in the parades picture. Imagine that was the before picture, the after was a lot worse. Whose insurance picks up the bill? Who would be paying for such a tragedy? Well for one i could say there wouldnt be a parade the next year. It is simple to keep it clean. Cost is nothing until the cost is too great....

As an aside your message resonates that you either are on the bid or know someone that is and are taking it at heart. The parade was great, the people were not. Its that simple. That simple to also to keep them in line. Im guessing if the police scratch one locker search from the HS the next year it would be more than capable to keep 2 or 3 beat cops on the walk.

justthink justthink
Mar '18

@Goatboy, The threads already got the attention of BID and the town, who said they will try and come up with some solutions, so apparently voicing concerns about the town on the town forum can result in positive changes, but don't let that stop you from bitching about people bitching.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

Here is a simple solution ...." I was there with 3 of mine 8, 5 and 2. They were not in the road because I did not allow it." <--This person could donate $1.00 for each attendee in their group ( ie: $4.00 O) ...if everyone attending did this, all the security or barriers would easily be paid for.

Oh wait, you expect them to actually pay !???
Imagine that : - )

Steven Steven
Mar '18

No bid relation, just want people to get involved.

Goatboy Goatboy
Mar '18

After you latest lament with your now traditional ad hominem close, I actually had to review the “evidence” to see where you were coming from. It was determined to be left of Saturn.

IMO, Denis rightfully complained about people standing in the road blocking those on the sidewalk to which others agreed, others said not an issue where they were. Denis suggest a number of remedies, all good. Denis also said that he did not have an issue with people blocking him because he asked, they moved.

“and at various points people thought nothing of standing right in front of us in the road completely closing the view for the kids. I don't mind telling people to move, which I did, but some rules for people who have no respect for others would be appreciated… (Denis)

Somewhere you said: “"Is the suggestion to ask someone to move when it’s *obvious* that the offending person intentionally chose to block your view?" to which I responded “Except that the intentional part is a judgement call by you, in this case based on a photograph and third-party account.” which apparently was a character flaw of the nth degree.

Sure, it’s rude, sure, something should be done. For example, maybe it’s time to stop tossing free gifts out if we don’t want people to crowd the front. Denis covered all that very well. But to say it’s obvious that people blocking by being in the place where the free gifts are being thrown are intentionally there to block your view because they are just offensive people is not true. If they are really offensive and rude, why did they move for Denis?

True story: I grew up in Western PA/NY where the Main Streets are wide and life is ez :-) Our Main Street had diagonal parking on both sides creating quite a wide path during parades. Free things were freely thrown and it was expected that you filled the parking zone in the street. Sidewalks were for old people in chair so don't crowd them there. That would be rude and offensive.

When I first moved here, I stepped right into the street until I “learned” your strange street parade culture here. I assimilated to your customs but never forgot my heritage……. Just saying perhaps, just perhaps, it’s not always obvious to the casual observer. And it’s never right to provide false judgements. And most important ---- if you ask, chances are they will move.

As to the rest of Denis' recommendations; great. I am sure anything to avoid the situation initially would be best. Thanks for bringing it up and glad BID was listening.

Mar '18

Huh??? Was that a summary position paper or something?

Seems to me this topic has been beaten to death and buried and now we are subject to a summary of the murder lol.

justintime justintime
Mar '18

The Reality is its 4 people on this thread complaining about crowd control. So 4 people out of 10k that showed up. I think that’s a pretty small percentage. Don’t know if we are going to change the way we run a parade for 4 people

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone!!!

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

JimL I wonder what percentage of town knows about this forum, posts, or reads it. I have no opinion on the subject but I'm not sure your conclusion is accurate.

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '18

Happy St. Patrick's Day ianimal!

PS ianimal, your post is the best in this whole thread! Thank you!

littlelu littlelu
Mar '18

Sorry the OP had a very nice post also....my bad

littlelu littlelu
Mar '18

Great picture ianimal!!

maja2 maja2
Mar '18

Wow JimL, I think you need reread this thread, a lot more than 4 people complained about the lack of crowd control, and there were a number who said the stopped coming. Clearly the people who post here represent a small percentage of the Hackettstown population, so I'm confident the number is larger. Just when I give you credit for taking the time to look into it, you come back with a snarky comment. If you can't see from the pictures, not just mine that you have a problem, then nothing will change until someone gets hurt. To reiterate my original point, kudos to bid for organising a great parade. A big thumbs down to town working with the police department that didn't think and apparently still doesn't think that one of the many active duty police officers should be assigned to the parade route, it's not complicated strategic planning, just common sense.

Denis Denis
Mar '18

JimL and I were assigned to crows control one year (I believe it was the first year he volunteered). I have one all kinds of spots when I volunteered. Besides the planning but, I did lining up, information table, judging of floats, helping of firemen, managing the honorees etc. (I'm sure you get the idea).

Unfortunately I believe this was Jims initiation into the parade. I am also sure Jim will agree this was the most difficult part of the parade. Not only is it constantly walking up and down the parade route before and during the parade. We had officers at every intersection. Now dont get me wrong they did a great job but were no help in getting crowd to stay where they were suppose to stay. I had to ask them for help a few times as children were telling me "screwoff", *uck off", "force me", tell my parents they put me here". It was a huge challenge. We would tell parents on the line about the issue and they did nothing at all. If they did they were back the time I was on my way back. It was virtually impossible. Jim and I did this the whole entire time the parade ran except when we hopped in the Event Committee car the end. The first thing I mentioned when we got in the car was I am never doing that job again. I was verbally abused by everyone I had to tell to move back on the curb and the reasons why. It shocked me how people reacted. Later when I saw officer I had to call for help he said it was a tough job even for him. The most difficult corner was Grand Ave. and High St. Fire trucks have to make wide turns and kids running out for candy was very dangerous. Yes every group was given a paper they had to sign how properly and safely to give out candy. M&M's very graciously donated case and cases to give out to parade participates. But they either don't read the paper or dont care. It was amazing on how we were treated. We have tried all the above situations and all have failed. What it takes is more volunteers. Unfortunately this year due to an illness being homebound I was unable to volunteer. Like I told JimL a few years ago put your computer away and come out and volunteer. It will take about 20 volunteers to keep the children and adult beyond the curb. Just call the BID office to get involved. We feed you. supply you with a Parade Staff sweatshirt and all the training you will need. The parade doesn't run by itself and neither does any other event. We have about 12 volunteers for events not counting BID staff. So put your volunteerism where your computer is! I promise a good time and good people to work with!

Christine Christine
Mar '18

Not sure if it’s in the budget but parade staff wearing Go-Pro head gear would probably influence a positive outcome.

It’s a public event but I’m not sure if there would be any legal issues with it.

justintime justintime
Mar '18

ha ha on the go pro --- now we need camera support for all actions.....kinda blows that personal responsibility angle eh....good idea though since the offenders will all be camera equipped......

Thiink Christine put the hammer down on this one. Denis seemed spot on but with Christine's adder, I call that issue confirmed.

I think stop tossing the freebies out might be a starting place.......sad....but with great crowds come great responsibilities (Spider-Man)

Mar '18

"I think stop tossing the freebies out might be a starting place"

SD, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but parade participants have been asked to stop throwing candy for a few years now....it's in the paperwork you get when you sign up to participate in the parade.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Darrin,
The car groups in front of me do it every year. I might have a video of it from 2 or 3 years ago because they drive kept dropping candy by the door when throwing it out the window and the kids would run out after he/she passed forcing me to stop and wait. Some would sit and think and dart out once another kid made a move. It is very unsafe. Some moms pushing strollers dumped a few pieces in thw road this yea and kept walking and kids ran out to the middle.

Between that and the constant movement in the line up, I'm done. I may only be 1 of 4 people complaining but i will find something else to do next year.
Prepping an antique firetruck for the first event i attend for the year can wait until it's warmer. You dont just get in and go.
Flushing brake lines, changing the oil and lubing up other parts can wait until it's warmer.

This is still being talked about!!

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '18

Lol @craftbeerbob. I was thinking the same thing. Memorial day is coming up so maybe we can combine the thread of complaints.

Htown Htown
Mar '18

It's the same people that bitch on all the threads. It's funny to see the same curmudgeons post on every thread and completely turn it into a bitch fest amongst the same 4-5 people. People with obvious free time and people that no longer live in Hackettstown let alone NJ. So bizarre.

Not trying to rehash anything but asking a legitimate question...

I did have issues last year with people standing right in front of us while we sat on the curb and in folding seats (we went early to get spots, asked multiple times for them to move etc). It did frustrate me enough I'm considering if it's worth going again this year but figured it is worth asking (publicly-which may backfire) if there is an area where I can walk to set up early that is much less unpopulated to view the parade....?

Missymiss Missymiss
Mar '19

The most crowded part is from Grand to Plane st. If you set up outside of that area you shouldn’t have a problem with crowds. Also everyone seems to set up on the sunny side, the shaded side of Main St is less crowded

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

@Missymiss, hopefully this year they will have one of the many extra police officers they have working that day assigned to walk main st. Seems like a simple enough solution to a problem that has gotten worse every year. As for myself after going for many years I'm done. I spent half my time last year telling people to move, not fun.

Denis Denis
Mar '19

I stopped going two years ago for the same reasons that Denis & Missymiss mentioned. Maybe a fence like this.....

Lamppost Lamppost
Mar '19

To fence Main St like that would cost $10k. Sorry that’s not in our budget. Also there are no “extra” cops. Each cop is controlling the traffic and comes with a cost.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

You don't need "extra" cops you just need to have them deployed in a sensible way. Having 2 cops standing in front of closed streets that are already barricaded while you have none on the actual parade route is poor planning.

Denis Denis
Mar '19

Meh I have no interest in complaining about how the parade is handled. Either attend or don't attend. The parade will still go on! We are fortunate to have an event like this in our town in my opinion.

The real more pressing issue I have is why is no one talking about the Kiss band member watching the parade in the photo that Lamppost posted !!??

Morristown parade today was fantastic. It was never-ending. No rude people, at least not where I was -- on the green.

happiest girl
Mar '19

Greg, which Kiss member was in Morristown watching the parade?

can you please post a direct link to the photo on this Lamppost site? I couldn't find it.

thanks!

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '19

Hackresident- Just click on the photo 6 posts up that Lamppost posted. In the background is a person in the Kiss make up.

OMG- I saw Kiss instantly the moment you mentioned it Greg. That's really funny. I love it when someone points out something so obvious you have to go back and look again because you missed it the first time. Good eye to you Greg. Question- How long has the St. Patty parade been going on in this town. Does WRNJ broadcast it? I have zero interest in attending, never have. If it was on the radio I might listen.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '19

This is our 11th annual St Patrick’s Day parade. Yes WRNJ broadcasts it live.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

auntiel- It is always fun when that happens. I didn't even mention the MAGA hat guy or the white bed sheet skirt man!! LOL.

I will say for a Mardi Gras pic, as expected it is a "mixed crowd". It looks like a good time!!

Here’s a pic from Mardi Gras two years ago in Mobile Alabama....the birthplace of Mardi Gras I was told.

Listening to a parade? The only thing more boring than watching one. Enjoy all, hope the bad weather does not make a march through.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

Oh dear lord. You made me go back and look AGAIN!! LOL

auntiel auntiel
Mar '19

An "original" Kiss member. cool ! ;-)

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '19

I didn't recognize him with his tongue in his mouth...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

I agree with Roywhite, never made sense to me to broadcast a parade on the radio.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Mar '19

Does the parade actually start at 3 or 3:30? Everything I see is saying a different time!

Rol- It starts at 3:30PM

https://hackettstownbid.com/

For the official information see the Hackettstown BID web page.

3:30 is kickoff time for the Parade..

joyful joyful
Mar '19

Thank you!

Great parade! Kudos to all who helped make it a success! A big thanks to the BID!

Sport
Mar '19

The parade was amazing again this year. I especially loved the Police Pipe and Drum group, the Irish Cloggers and the Mummers...Now that I think of it....I just loved the whole parade!!! Thanks BID for another job well done!

joyful joyful
Mar '19

i live close to where the parade ends, i was at home during the parade, did they shoot a cannon at the end, made me jump as im pretty close to cemetery and did not expect that, what was the boom

All three pipers were good but the Morris Police are definitely the best. The Ulster group showed both last year and this that they are serious competition. Both Mummers were dynamite. Aqua was great as usual and Quaker City's leader nicely took time out to meet & greet with some youngsters. Even if their hands might have been a bit clammy..... ;-)

DH - You can thank/blame/you choose John C. Those are the Civil War reenactors that shoot off their muskets periodically.

We always have fun shaking off the cobwebs in Hackettstown a few times each year. Here is a photo of the boys that made the noise!

John C John C
Mar '19

This was our color company. I'm carrying our Federal Colors (for the last time I'm afraid) It was a great honor for me. Happy St Patrick's Day!

John C John C
Mar '19

John C,

Why "for the last time"?

Mar '19

Another great parade! Thank you to all participants!! Great day! The only thing missing was the green M&M?? Or did I just not see it?

Summer fun
Mar '19

This was our 11th Annual St Patrick’s Day parade and the 6th one I’ve been volunteering and each year it seems to get better.

The BID did a great job along with all the volunteers. Big thanks to the HS lacrosse team, the HS cheerleaders and to the Key Club for volunteering

And no summer fun, there was no green M&M. They don’t allow the costume to be used where there is a threat of rain.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.