2018 Hackettstown Life Forum Bracketology

It's that time again, kids... everyone who was in the group last year should have received an email invite. For potential newcomers, read on:

I've started a group in Yahoo for fans of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament to compete against one another. The tournament begins Thursday, March 15th and all brackets must be filled out before tip-off of the first game (the "play-in" games Tuesday/Wednesday night do not count).

The scoring by round is as follows:

Round 1 - 1 point per correct pick
Round 2 - 2 points
Round 3 - 4 points (Sweet 16)
Round 4 - 8 points (Elite 8)
Round 5 - 16 points (Final Four)
Round 6 - 32 points (Championship game)

In addition, for THE FIRST ROUND ONLY, there are seed difference bonus points awarded for correctly picked upsets. For instance, if you correctly choose a 12-seed to defeat a 5-seed, in addition to the 1 point for correctly picking the winner, you will also get 7 bonus points for the difference in the seedings (12-5=7).

If you would like to participate and have a Yahoo ID (PM me if you don't have one and can't figure out how to get one), follow this link:

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/53012/invitation?key=856e38c22e55a816&soc_trk=lnk

Password - forum

Obviously your bracket cannot be filled out until teams are selected, which will be later today. Join up now or wait till the last minute; your choice.

Only one bracket per person and please use your HLF handle as your bracket name so that everyone knows who you are. Thanks and good luck to everyone who chooses to participate.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

Thanks Ianimal! Waiting for the selection as i type this.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '18

I don't always follow NCAA, but when I do follow NCAA, I follow the Women.

My two biggest favorites this year are U.Conn and Baylor. U.Conn still running undefeated and Baylor is "the little team that could" in my book. Their roster contains only 10 players, 2 of whom are currently injured & earlier 3 freshmen players were unable to play, due to disciplinary action, leaving the ones left to play the full game on their own. For those that don't watch, you should check out the level of play, especially U.Conn. To me it's a thing of beauty to watch them truly work together as a team. As one of the Commentators put it many teams "learn plays", but they learn to "play the game".

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '18

BRACKETS ALL DONE !! GO GATORS

just coach just coach
Mar '18

Taking my annual stab in the dark as I type this. Still annoyed that some very deserving mid-majors did not get bids (can you say St. Mary's for example) so that the field could look like the ACC conference tourney.

dan4golf dan4golf
Mar '18

Bumping this up... you have until 12:15 today to sign up and fill out your bracket.

Good luck to everyone.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

Taking my annual stab in the dark as I type this. Still annoyed that some very deserving mid-majors did not get bids (can you say St. Mary's for example) so that the field could look like the ACC conference tourney.

dan4golf

We are all taking that stab in the dark. Agree with you 100% on St. Mary's. They and others get hurt when a conference low level gets hot and wins it's conf. tourny chip, thus knocking out a St. Mary's

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Mar '18

Did anyone have Buffalo ?

Just coach Just coach
Mar '18

15-1 yesterday. My best first day in 20 or so years of filling out brackets. I'm sure today is when the wheels fall off, though (-;

Buffalo over Arizona was the one I missed, justcoach. No one else in our group picked that upset either.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

UMBC up 16 with less than 4 minutes to go. Holy Crap

Just coach Just coach
Mar '18

Wow history made and UMBC FIRST win in tournament history

Just coach Just coach
Mar '18

Well, I'm in first place, but I lost one of my two finalists. Womp womp.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '18

I knew UMBC were for real after their 85-41 victory over Centenary Cyclones.

UMBC -- the all-time bracket buster :-D Saw them play George Mason and Towson a few years ago in The Beltway Classic. a holiday tournament down that way.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '18

I'm in first place in a different group of over 100 people . Entry fee for that group . Love march madness

Just coach Just coach
Mar '18

my race to the bottom is an early success!

Wonder what the Maryland Terrapins are thinking ... they beat UMBC 66-45 in December... that was probably a consideration in the seeding.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '18

Maryland has a young, talent- packed team - injuries derailed them this year - if healthy, they may be a top 20 team next year.

rleaf rleaf
Mar '18

Hey Whip, I've got beat by a point lower!!!!

hall58 hall58
Mar '18

In 1974 Maryland was hailed as the UCLA of the East --- if they keep the talent at home, they should be a top 10 team annually --- RIP Len Bias :-(

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '18

That Syracuse zone is something to behold --- they use it to control the tempo of the game, to get a running team out of its rhythm, to make them work for every shot --- it wore Michigan State down mentally today, got into their heads. High school coaches who don't have lots of naturally talented players to work with could learn from the way Syracuse has played that zone over the years.

It helps that the Cuse has a lot of tall dudes who can glide around with their feet and disrupt shooters both outside and inside.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '18

Good tournament guys! See you next March.

Good job coming in 2nd, Tracy. Crazy tournament to pick.

ianimal ianimal
April 3rd

NOVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
April 3rd

There is always next year. There is a lot of talent spread around.

Old Gent Old Gent
April 3rd

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: 2018 Hackettstown Life Forum Bracketology
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.