Power Outages 3/2

Did anyone else lose power on Rockport Road?

Rockport Rockport
Mar '18

For power outage status updates:

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

Already? Ouch!

maja2 maja2
Mar '18

2,000 out in jcpl land so far. hopefully we get a few puffs to blow the snow off the trees before the big stuff hits.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '18

Lots of branches down

Bug3
Mar '18

thanks for the link GC!

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Mar '18

We are on Flanders Bartley Rd and lost power over an hour ago.

Kelly Volpi Kelly Volpi
Mar '18

We are in Long Valley, in the valley section, and we lost power hours ago as well as Direct TV.

6,000 or more down in Warren Co; over 10K in Sussex.

No one is getting ETRs anymore, we are in it big time from here on in. At least not sub zero temps.

Mar '18

Brook Hollow out about 20 minutes ago

Dag74 Dag74
Mar '18

"The Holler" 20 mins ago went out for 3 seconds, and then about 45 seconds. It came right back on and has been on since then.

Auto reclosers and sectionalizers are wonderful things.

Brendan Brendan
Mar '18

Panther Valley ok? I'm checking for someone else. Thx

thaimaster18 thaimaster18
Mar '18

In the Meadows section so far - yes.

village 3 is okay - at least in my part

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '18

Power went out here about an hour ago. Generator up and running now.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Village 8 ok so far

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '18

Old Farm is still on. Flickered once.

Peacefinder Peacefinder
Mar '18

East prospect st in Hackettstown is out

Outhere
Mar '18

Several homes on W Moore St are out including mine...

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Mar '18

Indy (Ridge Rd.) down for close to 3 hours as of now. No ETR:-((

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '18

Jcp&l outages total 134,000 as of 5pm; Pse&g 42,000. Winds are getting stronger through the evening. The storm warnings for Morris, Sussex and Warren counties are effective through 4 a.m. Saturday.

Power restoration isn't going to be quick.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

Rural areas will get pounded with lines going down, although the highest winds have already passed the area so cross your fingers if you still have power.

Out on Rt57 Port Murray, Mansfield, near Stephensburg

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '18

They are getting better at telling us how bad we are off.

No winds are not growing; should step down a bit over next 2 hours, but we will be at risk till tommorrow.

Jcpl 33% out but rural out 90% west of h-town to the river and up to blairstown. Its bad but pethaps tapering off. Not getting better.....yet.

No etr’s; even the first ones that had them don’t. Best luck folks.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '18

I take it back, just saw a 7:30 etr out by Liberty. Point is they had one. Perhaps we ate starting to cone back!

Mar '18

Been out for hours at Countryside. Went out about the same time the tree went down across High Street a few blocks down. Wonder if it took down lines with it.

Kingcoriander Kingcoriander
Mar '18

Wow, just heard from the in-laws in Hardwick. They've been out of power since this morning. Told it's going to be until tomorrow. They are safe and sound. Love those baby boomers. Knowing how to survive is a lost art.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

Wouldnt be surprised if some are without power for several days

Nosila Nosila
Mar '18

It was hope/grt meadows rd and hissim road had a 7:30 etr. Hope they are right; hope we get more etrs soon

Mar '18

To all the people out there working in ridiculous conditions...THANK YOU .....
My lights are back on

Ziggy Ziggy
Mar '18

what time will power be on for great meadows???

susanb246345325 susanb246345325
Mar '18

Yes, God Bless each and every one. And what luck Ziggy. Karma?

We’re at about 17,600 out for the county. Think that’s peaking, I pray.

Mar '18

Praying for power back in Towpath soon (though it looks like just my building is out)! Thank you to all the crews working hard for us right now!

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Warren at 16,609. Yeah!

Mar '18

What time for independence?

happygirlsusan20392 happygirlsusan20392
Mar '18

Power back on Petersburg Road, thank you

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '18

Everything along Rt 46 in Great Meadows was back on at 6 PM.The side roads are still out.

Unta
Mar '18

Just went out off of Mt rascal by Enzos. Damn, thought we were going to make it through.

Thanks to all who work in this mess!

Anyone know if power's been restored to Oakhill off Bilby Road?

Cindy Cindy
Mar '18

Ketcham back on. Love you.
JCP & L lineman!

Fishmaker1
Mar '18

Back on at East Prospect
Thank you Jcpl

Come on Rt57!

Mar '18

Cindy, not all of Oak Hill lost power. I never lost power but can see neighbors houses that look like they are still out.

gm mom gm mom
Mar '18

Where are you guys getting your estimated restoration times and stuff? The JCP&L map for me still just says “awaiting dispatch” and it’s been seven hours. (I know everyone’s doing their best but it’s getting so cold in here)

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Katherine, my map still says that too - yet i just got a telephone call from them saying it would be back on by 9:45pm.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Mar '18

Ridge Road, Indy, back on about an hour ago.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '18

Been out in parts of Brook Hollow since 2:00. Everyone to the left of our house never lost it. Fingers crossed.

Dag74 Dag74
Mar '18

Thanks Reggie Voter. Haven’t gotten any calls or emails about mine at all yet. Hearing that others are starting to get back on though gives me hope though!

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Well - it was an estimated restoration time - we are still on generator.

Mar '18

Is Oak Hill still out?

Re: Power Outages 3/2

Here's the report for Hackettstown from JCP&L. I suspect it's grossly underestimating the number of customers affected.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '18

I would think definitely underreported, alpha1beta. All of Countryside still is out and that's several hundred in itself.

Mar '18

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Countryside Apts still out. They did open up Rt 517 and the lines are repaired but only 1 building in Countryside has power.

NJMoleman NJMoleman
Mar '18

I am so thankful for the wood burning stove in the living room on days like this, keeps house warm & you can cook on it when the power goes out.
I had to bring my baby chicks inside & next to the wood stove to stay warm while the power was out.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '18

Any update on power restoration in brookhollow

Brookhollowresident Brookhollowresident
Mar '18

Some of Oak Hill is still out. We still have no power (almost 7 hours now) but buildings next to us and on the street below us do. We have no idea what is going on, the JCP&L website provides no status updates, and it's getting cold in here. I understand we've had a significant weather event; a little information would be helpful.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

My power went out around 2pm when trees fell in my driveway and took the power lines with them. I reported it right away since I have wires down but the outage map doesn't even show me on it.

Does anyone know if they prioritize outages when there are wires down? We can't even leave our house until they fix the wires.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '18

@Smilingbecs - this happened to me one year and unfortunately while prioritized it was still 24 hours before they were out to repair because there were so many trees down.

I'm thankful I have a furnace that does not need electricity to work. We never lose heat during a power outage! And thankful for my gas stove too.

happiest girl
Mar '18

Not holding my breath for JCP&L power restoration time.They are never accurate.It is time for JCP&L to go proactive and trim live and dead trees and branches away from the power lines.I passed many old dead trees and branches hanging on power lines today. They can do better.

Unta
Mar '18

In a storm like this, probably not. During Sandy I had a gutter land on top of the wire, called to ask if the could cut the power. They said no. That was a bad one.

They just called to tell us power back at 11; we have had power. Now cable is another story.

It’s too much; system overload. Hope they start getting ahead of it soon.

Mar '18

Oak hill still out. All of Belmont at least. It’s cold!

Oak Hill Mom Oak Hill Mom
Mar '18

Just got a call from jcp&l power should be restored by 11pm in Port Murray I'm on route 57up from Stephensburg Rd.

Oak Hill behind Quick Chek still out, any ideas/news

Laura B Laura B
Mar '18

Brook Hollow is not out. It has not been out all day other than two brief moments just enough to make all the clocks blink. If there are issues in the development, it's got to be in the house itself. Check your circuit breakers.

Still out in my little corner of Towpath, 8+ hours, no update, and I’m super cold! Jealous of all your wood stoves!

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

I am out of town...is Kenwood out? Thanks

Acl74 Acl74
Mar '18

Columbia area has been out since 2pm!! Ugh

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Mar '18

Half of brookhollow is out on Saxton dr..

Mar '18

Really? I look out my window and I see all the street lights on Saxton on as well as about a dozen houses on Saxton all with power on.

JCPL just robo called us and the new time is now 11:45pm

Mar '18

Saxton is a long road, it’s out on the Hunters Brook side.

Nice neighbor Nice neighbor
Mar '18

GC....I live on Saxton and am sitting in the dark....power went out around 1:15 and is still out....all my circuit breakers are fine. There are several houses without power near me.

Sitting in the Dark
Mar '18

Katherine, are you on Fox Hill rd in Towpath?

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Mar '18

Hg, what type furnace do you have that doesn’t need electricity?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Darrin- I may be gas and they light it manually. Otherwise I'd like to know as well!

Nice/Resident/Dark - I know, I walk the length of it every day. ;-)

All I was saying is it's really odd from where I am to know there's part of Saxton out. I've got a full view of both ends, just not from Brook Hollow Dr coming in down to Scenic. Sounds like it's just that particular part out.

Yes it is really odd

Mar '18

Anyone have an idea when power will be restored for the countryside apartment area? Jcpl website still says pending investigation/ awaiting dispatch.

Red227 Red227
Mar '18

Brookhollowresident - Even more strange than how isolated it is, why is it even out when everything is buried? The little pods with access to the wires are so far away from the curb I can't imagine something hitting one. And even then, that would take out only 4 houses.

Red227, I wouldn't hold your breath. Same thing it's been saying since it went out in the first place. Looks like one building weirdly has power though.

Mar '18

JCP&L makes great promises for power restoration.11 PM means by 11 AM the next morning or later.Live and learn.

Unta
Mar '18

Here is what mine still says even though they have called a couple of times with estimated restoration times.

Mar '18

@mansfieldmama yes I am! Husband said maybe a few other buildings were out when he came home from work but it seems spotty overall.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

To answer question --
There is a pilot light and the thermostat sends an internal signal to start the furnace. I have no idea how - maybe some heating/cooling person can explain it.

happiest girl
Mar '18

17.6k out four hours ago.

17.6 out now.

They should do better in communication at least. Give folks some kind of idea that somwthing is happening to restore service. Let people make decisions based on some info. I mean if they’re gonna be out all night, tell them.

Mar '18

Barkers Mill Rd, we lost power 1:15 this afternoon. Still no power. Coming up to 12 hrs. Of no power, this is not good.

Jonelle Jonelle
Mar '18

I'm also in Countryside and all but one building is still out.i reported the outage within 20mi Utes of losing power, and I have never seen it on the map.

If anyone is really cold, I have a couple dozen 18 hour hand warmer, not much but they're something.
If you also have a gas stove, you can light that and do a little cooking, pasta is doable without electric. I have a long handled lighter if anyone needs a light. DM me if you need either.

I'm really ticked at JCP&L. They have cost me thousands in my 8 years in town due to lost frozen food due to their poor infrastructure and slow response time. Never saw this stuff with PSE&G.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '18

3 hrs later, 17.6k out —- if they took the night off.....they could have told folks...

Mar '18

No power in oak hill since yesterday , not a truck in sight ! What's with this power company ? Still no trucks or workers anywhere, old equipment , old ideas, still Mayberry !

All American All American
Mar '18

Have you looked at the outage map. It's going to be awile. This is going to linger well into Monday.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '18

We have sevearal huge trees down in our yard, one took out our fence and ripped the power lines off of our house. No fun over here.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

Monday? Nothing happened last night except wr hot worse. Now at 17.800 out.

Maybe a couple hundred came back in Hunterdon, but Warren got worse, sussex stayed the same.

Its time for Phil to step in.

Mar '18

Power still out on part of Saxton Dr in Brook Hollow. I haven’t received any calls with estimated restoration. Thank God I invested in the whole house generator. Since Sandy, this has been the longest without power in 18 years.

Catira Catira
Mar '18

Still out in Towpath this morning, frigid cold. I really wish I knew it was going to be out all night. I don’t know what we’re going to do, and I have yet to receive one update of any kind from JCP&L

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Hg, yeah i figured that, but i would think unless it is a stand alone small unit you would still need a blower or circulator pump to move the air/water to heat the home.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

The outage map is useless. It provides no updates. The status in my area has not changed since 2:30pm yesterday. My street in Oak Hill is still without power. Buildings next to us and on the street below had power restored at about 6:15pm yesterday. Almost 17 hours without power, we have no information, and it is damn cold in here.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

I would plan on several days without power. It sucks but it’s part of living in this area

Nosila Nosila
Mar '18

Nosila, I’ve lived in Hackettstown for thirty years and this is the longest I have ever been without power.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Normally, I wouldn't expect more than 24 hours within the larger town limits like Hackettstown. Living outside of town anywhere in Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex can result in days and even sometimes that long in Morris.

We stand at 18k out, 35% out. It got worse overnight.

I am sure the issue is many trees, many small outages.

They knew it was coming.

They seemed to do nothing post 11pm.

Gov. Phil needs to step in. Why couldn’t they tell us: “nobody gonna be fixed tonight?”

Steangerdanger Steangerdanger
Mar '18

Actually pretty crazy, a lot of the Catskills are without power including the ski areas. I think the teams are overwhelmed with all of the fallen trees plus they couldn't work while it was too windy which means they really started this morning.

+1 Kathetine. I've lived in Independence (2 separate addresses) since 1974. I can count on one hand the number of times we lost power for days. Plus, with all the technology available to us now, there is absolutely no reason why JCP&L cannot provide updates/information. We don't have the option of a wood burning stove in our building. We can't store a generator in our building bc it requires gas. So no heat literally means no heat. We pay our bills - all we are asking for is information so we can figure out what to do. I don't think that is unreasonable.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

The last call from JCP&L at midnight last night said the power would be on at 1:45am.
Well, that didn't happen. They probably sent the crews home at some point.

Katherine, 21 years ago this July, the power was out for three days. I remember because my wife was nine months along and the stress put her into labor!

RV

Mar '18

Can anyone confirm what gas stations are open with power

Hadenough
Mar '18

RV - omg that is both scary and a little funny! Your poor wife! I must’ve just been lucky in where I’ve lived. Even during sandy we were only out 10 hours.

And diesel, I agree. I just want info so we can get a hotel room if needed. No generators or other heat sources allowed in my apartment either, plus we don’t have hot water or a cooking source.

I did see someone on reddit say that crews stopped working overnight because of dangerous conditions, it’s possible that happened in our area too.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

+1diesel. That’s my rant, give us information so we can make good decisions to protect our family.

I know they can do it because the system provided better info before. Now they have the cya dumbed down version.

Like if you’re quitting at 11 and not starting till 8am, how about telling us.

And while the surrounds might fail, it is unusual for h-town to be out amd unaided.

With Sandy, my gene died the day aftwr the power came back. And Sandy was the second worse outage I had that year. It was a spectacular year.

But it wasn’t cold like this.

Mar '18

It's a crapshoot. I've lived here for 14 years. We didn't lose power last night, but Sandy was 3 days and the Halloween ice storm was 5 days. Diamond Hill.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '18

Gas station where the old hess was is open!

Mar '18

Has anyone gotten any estimations for Oakhill? Anytime I call I am told that there are outages reported in my area and no additional information is available at this time .. beyond frustrated!

Annoyed Annoyed
Mar '18

You're wrong, Darrin.

happiest girl
Mar '18

Quick Chek on Route 517 near Oak Hill is pumping gas, on generator.

Mar '18

I scoured the map and see no etr’s and only one were they claim dispatched. Its a system breakdown; hate to say it but thats all you got.

And maybe the radio. I cant even find anything in print news of value.

Mar '18

This is the update for Oak Hill.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

still no power. but apparently ketcham and russling have it and i’m right in between them

Mar '18

Update from my apartment maintenance crew (I am on the same grid as oak hill, I believe) - they spoke to JCP&L who said they will get there when they get there... cool

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

This is their map - just updated - it shows that there are only 11 people without power in our area!

Mar '18

There’s more than that in my building alone.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

“You're wrong, Darrin”

Okay....I was asking about if interest, if I am wrong, what is right? Please let me know as I am interested in one of these no electricity furnaces for my camp.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

I received two calls this morning asking me if power has been restored. Um no. I haven't even received an ETR. We've got the generator running but it will run out of gas this afternoon. I would happily go stay at a hotel but I can't leave because of the power lines in my driveway. Two young kids at home too. This is super frustrating.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '18

22.5 hrs without electricity now here. I'll be surprised if we get it back by the end of the day, too. (Thank goodness for generators.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Reggie, you’re not reading it right. There’s numners under those dots

Folks, I think jcpl had given up on reporting.

Mar '18

Knock on wood, I cannot BELIEVE I did not loose power for more the 20 mins......In a town of 1000, I am 1 of 120 with power.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Oh yes, you are right, i was wrong. It says 101-500 under the dot. Hmm, still might be low. But thanks now I know!

Mar '18

Was just out to Walmart. Little concerned I didnt see one JCPL truck. Been out in Independence off Mt Rascal since 7pm last night. Site says pending investigation still

Hackettstown wife Hackettstown wife
Mar '18

We have had their acronym wrong too all of this time.

Instead of JCPL, it should be JPLC

Just Please Light Candles

Mar '18

I agree with Nosila & JR ....power outages happen and as much as it sucks to be without power there isn't much you can do unless you plan for it beforehand.
I grew up near High Point in a very wooded area so it was a common occurrence to be without power for several days at a time. Mother Nature throws out some severe storms and you just hope for the best.
I used to be friendly with a lineman that worked for JCP&L . There is a definite cut off point (that they are all called in) from what he told me when the winds reach a certain speed due to dangerous conditions. Therefore there would be no update or progress throughout the night if that occurs.

Day 2. Still no power here on Rockport.
I really really hope I am not posting here on Day 5 like in 2011.

I heard Branchville has a power date of March 7th. Things have really not changed with the infrastructure apparently.

BP has gas. At least we have a small generator.

Rockport Rockport
Mar '18

I guess I should feel fortunate to have power but my lack of internet and tv is killing me.

Consigliere
Mar '18

******The Mansfield Elementary School located at 50 Port Murray Road will be open from 12 noon to 4:00 pm for those that need to charge their electronics, warm up, or fill their own water bottles.

Mar '18

Liberty Twp outage was called and said power on at 11:00 PM.
No Power...........
Another call from Jcpl.... Power on at 1:30 AM.....

Still NO Power..... and the map? ..... We are better off with the game "Chutes & Ladders!"

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '18

Woohoo got my first call from JCP&L! Estimated time 1:30pm - I’m not holding my breath but hey it’s something!

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

On Mt. Bethel we haven’t had power since Friday morning. All around us the roads are closed for downed wires, trees and a telephone pole that came down and is completely blocking Russling Rd. So far nothing is being done and we didn’t see a single tree trimming truck, JCP&L truck, etc. We also have close to a foot of snow.

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

Branchville got the highest snowfall in NJ, 16.5 inches.

Rt57 Mansfield, still out as of 8am. 15 hours. Any update??

Mar '18

We are still out. The tree is still across the road. At least my cable, phone and internet just came back on.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

MtBethel, what part of Russling rd is closed?

Hector
Mar '18

If you need gas head east. The lines are very long at the QC in White as well as the gas station in Hope. From what I saw earlier most of (over the border) Pennsylvania had no power. Given the amount of trees downed with lines they will be out for a while.

Countryside have power yet? I was told 1:30.

Updated estimate for Oak Hill/Towpath area is 3:30 pm

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Bilby & 517 light is still out 5 mins ago. So no, Countryside/Oak Hill still looks out.

I’m right up the road from country side still no power.

On the way back from filling the gas cans, this was on the radio.

It may be a sign but not sure if it's a good one or not?

Mar '18

Oakhill still out

Annoyed Annoyed
Mar '18

Any updates on brookhallow

Mar '18

Has anyone seen a jcpl truck?

Mar '18

"Has anyone seen a jcpl truck?"

I saw a JCP&L pick up truck (not a repair vehicle) near the Oxford EMS building assessing wires that are down.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Any clue when russling road/ johnson road / shakespere will be back on?! been out for 24 hours.

Mar '18

There were many out of state Tree and power trucks on I-80 today heading west, I saw them near Denville. Part of the problem I bet is that NE PA is a mess much moreso than here...limiting further out of state help from arriving from less impacted areas.

Route 46
Mar '18

This is the first time in many, many times that we didn't lose power except for a 2 minute outage. Even the Direct TV dish stayed on all but twice for about 5 minutes each time.

Sorry to hear of all that did lose power around here but you are still probably better off than a friend of mine in Fredon. She tells me it looks as bad a Sandy and maybe even worse with all the trees down.. JCP & L says it will be days before they get their power back.

magpie magpie
Mar '18

I’ve been out of state, south, for the last week. Driving home today and tomorrow.

I hope my pipes didn’t burst and no trees fell on my house.

Ugh.

In New Jersey we have such high taxes! You would think that there would be benefits to these taxes, such as having people take care of maintaining our access to electricity.
Years ago this never happened during the winter time. These long outages could cost people their lives. So how do we make this stop happening?
Putting our utilities Underground would be the logical way to go. I have no idea if this would be cost-effective or not.
Maybe the trees need to be trimmed back more aggressively from the wires and the poles like they used to do 30+ years ago.
We have a generator and a fireplace, so we are okay, but what if we didn't?
Is there a lawyer who wants to take up this cause?
How can we make these outages cease?

Putting wires underground is very expensive. Some estimates are a million per mile. And guess who pays for it? Us the tax and ratepayers.

Underground utilities can also be subject to corrosion from road salt. And we know how much NJ loves to salt.

Route 46
Mar '18

And at some point the utilities have to come back above ground to service the need. We went down this road after Sandy

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

They are saying another Nor'easter Wednesday.

Nosila Nosila
Mar '18

WELL they said 3:30 for countryside..... any status ?

Nothing yet... will post updated time if I get one...not looking great

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

My animals are freezing!

Mar '18

JS24, where did you get 3:30? I haven't heard back about an estimate yet, although it may differ building to building

Mar '18

Kenwood did not lose power

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Mar '18

Lili, things like this don't get any of the taxes LOL...

They called with a new estimate after they didn’t fix it at 1:30. So far haven’t anything else....

diesel / Steangerdanger / whoever else- I imagine the reason JCPL has a hard time giving accurate estimations, or sticking to those they give, is that they probably don't have an overall picture of the damage... if they lose a line serving 200 customers because a tree comes down at one point they may not be aware that there is a tree down on that line farther down the line... maybe that one is after some branches and only serves 100 of those 200 original customers. That's why people keep getting texts asking if their power is back on. You as the end customer reporting an outage (even if your neighbors already reported it) is their best source for information about the scope of the outage. The more information they have the easier it is for them to determine scope and narrow down the possible causes for outages. Especially more complicated in a long duration event like this because there may be damage caused farther down the line *after* an initial disruption... Which means they don't even have the end reports to rely on to try and determine that there are two locations/events. Try and cut these guys some slack...

brendan brendan
Mar '18

“Try and cut these guys some slack...”

Agreed. They’re busting their butts, yet that’s not enough. I guess we need a magic wand to do the job from now on lol

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

JS24, thanks! Better info that I've gotten.

Mar '18

Literally no one here is being hard on the repair people. Not even close. We’re just cold and want to know if we need hotels for the night. Most of this thread is just the same few of us passing around the updates we’ve heard so we’re all informed. We know it’s hard, that’s why we’re asking each other instead of flooding the lines and causing more difficulty.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

We know the issue is the infrastructure and storm damage, not JCPL. Some of us may need to make alternate arrangements for the night based on estimates.

Mar '18

Good answer:)

+1 Katherine. Thank you for saying it so perfectly. The sarcasm exhibited by another poster was completely unnecessary.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

According to JCP&L my power was supposed to be on at midnight last night. Still no power, still have not seen jcp&l. Uugg, it is soooo cold.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

Not sure which post you’re referring to diesel but basically this is a math problem: x number of incidents times average repair time per crew divided by number of crews. And if the time to repair hasn’t been estimated correctly it necessarily leads to more delays. It just takes time no matter how you look at it.

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

Still no power in Brook Hollow and no estimates at all.

Catira Catira
Mar '18

My brother-in-law works as a lineman for JCP&L. He said it could be a week for a road like ours (back road, dead end)

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

For all you complaining that you have no power! Imagine what all first responders(mainly volunteers) dealt with last night trying to save lives!

And you also expect men/women(working for JCPL)during high winds to fix electical poles(risking their life), so you only have to deal with a few hours of no power/discomfort!

Suck it up people for it could have been much worse! Appreciate First Responders plus JCPL employees. They are doing their best to fix this situation. Btw! I have been without power for almost 30 hours! If you're cold there are plenty of warming places to get warm n charge ur phones. If your pets are cold go to Wal-Mart n buy them pet sweaters. If the pet sweaters are out of stock buy a sweater from the infant/child aisle n cut it up to size your pet. If your cold put on more blankets or go into your car for a half hour to warm up.

You want to know how hard first responders worked the last 29 hours and still working? Follow this link!

https://mobile.twitter.com/WCAlerts?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

What did people do 100 years ago?

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

UGH just called and the 3:30 update is back to no update. I can’t see why there is only a tree down mount rascal but closer to Petersburg. Can’t see how that affect countryside .

Has anyone on Rockport heard any estimated restore time lately?

anony anony
Mar '18

Anyone know if there is power to Great Meadows schools? Just wondering about the possibility of schools being closed Monday if power hasn't been restored. Hope everyone gets their power back soon!

gm mom gm mom
Mar '18

Jesus Christ it didn’t take long for this thread to go the way of every single other thread on this website. It was fun updating with all my power out neighbors while it lasted, but I’m not going to be scolded like some child having a tantrum because I want to know when to expect my service. I’m out, wishing (almost) all of you a safe and warm evening.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

I don’t think anyone is knocking the first responders or the electrical crews.

The frustration is with the lack of preventative maintenance on the lines and the lack of decent estimates from JCP&L.

Funding has been provided for both and apparently mismanaged.

Mar '18

If you dont have anything nice to say keep the mouth shut :-) have a nice day

The frustration is due to the lack of communication from JCP&L.
(drops mic)

mrbredal mrbredal
Mar '18

JCP&L have left the Hackettstown area for the night due to infrastructure problems at the transfer station. If you don’t have power by now expect power by Tuesday when new equipment can be installed.

Fapper Fapper
Mar '18

Power Outage Update!

Info from a JCPL conference call a few moments ago:

They noted a fatality pertaining to an exposed live wire so please exercise caution and stay away from fallen trees and wires. Sometimes the wires are not exposed, covered with debris and snow.

They are setting up a staging area at the Sussex County Fair grounds and there are 1500 workers on route to address the situation. The areas hardest hit were Hunterdon-Morris-Sussex and Warren counties. What was supposed to be mostly rain obviously came down as heavy wet snow. The weather yesterday represented challenges for work crews with the wind, obviously. They are reporting in the aforementioned counties approximately 460 road closures so the magnitude of the storm was remarkable. They prioritize by addressing safety issues first and then tackle restoration issues by large to small then individual population. They have approximately 5000 trouble locations and 132,000 people without power.

They are using helicopters and drones to target hard to reach areas and main power supply issues. This is confirmed to be a multi-day outage so please plan accordingly. No ETAs to when power will be restored. There is ongoing communication to let the communities affected regarding progress in this restoration effort.

We will continue to keep you all posted as we get the info..

Mar '18

For what it’s worth, a tree crew was up on Ridge Lane late this afternoon clearing a downed tree. Can only hope that JCP&L will follow in the not too distant future.

Shutterbug Shutterbug
Mar '18

+1 Katherine.

Thank you CraftBeerBob. Much appreciated.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

Josh-FYI
Rest easy- not cold enough to freeze your plumbing.
Need much colder for a prolonged time.
Bring me back a tee shirt :)

Stymie Stymie
Mar '18

Agreed Katherine. Hope you continue to post because it seems like you guys are helping each other with updates/questions. Suck it up is completely unnecessary especially from someone no doubt sitting in a warm home.

So follow your advice @Jacqui & suck it up. Let those that want to share useful information do so without your tirades.

This topic should be renamed Power Outrage.JCP&L has let the power grid decline for many years.Deferred maintenance and not trimming trees all add up.What a lousy job by JCP&L.Time to get a better management group in charge of the power grid.

Unta
Mar '18

If you know better why not become a first responder or an employee at JCPL? There are over 100k people without power. These workers are not genies thus cannot fix the issues within minutes as you all expect!

Do you not hear the constant sirens? First Responders and JCPL employees are trying very hard to rectify this situation in a timely manner! Be patient for within a few days you will be back to the lax of luxury!

+1 craftbeerbob

Bonv! I have been without power or heat so far 30 hours! So yup!!

And my 18 year old daughter is one of those "Volunteer First Responders"!

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

Katherine, you’re giving me hope since I live close but haven’t received any updates :) It would just be nice to know if there’s no hope and we should go to hotel.

Nice Neighbor Nice Neighbor
Mar '18

New Jersey Power & Light Company and JCP&L did not hire people of my race when I tried for a job with them.They had a mandate to hire all minorities.Dont blame this on me or my failure to get hired by them.JCP&L still has a responsibility to their customers.If they continue to fail like this they should be replaced by a better company.

Unta
Mar '18

Good for your daughter Jacqui, this is not about her or you. This is about a huge corporation that profits from us but isn’t prepared when things don’t go as expected.

Mar '18

Omg! Unta! People are struggling right now and you are going to call a race war over "Mother Nature"? You people are crazy!

When was the last time your power went out for over a hour? Hurricane Sandy 6 years ago? But now you want to blame JCPL? Because we had another storm? In which JCPL had no control over! You seriously want JCPL to cut down every tree hanging over wires? Whereas home owners who own those trees will deny access to them!
Business 101!

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

They makes millions off of us and compensate their management nicely. They should always be anticipating and prepared for what could happen. It’s their business, right?

Mar '18

Jacqui - So right Jacqui. My uncle recently passed away was a career lineman for one of the other affiliates of JCPL in Pennsylvania. By no means was race ever an issue, particularly when you're a political family claiming privilege.

Oh man you people can really ruin an easy place to get updates. I can’t read have the annoying stuff ppl are writing .

Current update from JCP&L (received via text):

JCP&L:
We expect to restore power to the majority of affected customers by 03/06/2018 11:30 PM
Cause: Inclement Weather

diesel diesel
Mar '18

Come back to find any news or hearsay on possible power restoration - instead find this has become a weirdly sanctimonious thread?

Keep it classy folks.

Mar '18

I have the upmost respect for volunteer and nonvolunteer first responders. However, I've noticed on a few threads, some people who are first responders or related to a first responder, like to throw it in people's faces.

If you are not a first responder nor closely affiliated with one, you've no right to complain. That seems to be what I'm getting from it.

My naivety alludes me again, I thought first responders were in it to help people and not for self-righteousness and braggery.

I was raised to do good from my heart and to never throw it in people's faces.

I emphasize *SOME*

positive positive
Mar '18

Hey guys! I just saw a fleet of line trucks from Muskegon, MI heading down 80E.... They're coming! Try and hang in there everyone xo

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '18

JCP&L really sucks, and they know it ! No need to post, Call and get a Robo operator , very personal touch ! We haven't seen trucks working all weekend! Oak hill still out on one side ! Fake News , there stretching it till Monday , just another poorly run company !

Mar '18

Tx diesel for the update.

GC. I do not understand your post.

As for me I'm walking away from this thread.

Stay warm all and think about all the homeless having to bear this storm with no shelter!! As you beetch......

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

Katherine
Please keep the updates coming. I also live in Towpath and appreciate the info.

Really??? Really???
Mar '18

A tree company was making trees on Mount Rascal Rd this past week that need to be trimmed back. We have a long driveway with power lines going up it. The rep from the tree company came by on Thursday to let me know they would be trimming the trees back along our driveway pretty soon. I have no issues with them doing this. I'm not sure why anyone would. They clean up after themselves.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '18

Countryside update: got this text

JCP&L(1/2):
UPDATED EST RESTORE TIME: 03/06 11:30 PM
Address: [Redacted]
Crew Status: Awaiting Dispatch

Mar '18

Rt57 Mansfield still out. Very frustrating.

Mar '18

King- how do you get texts?? And my fingers are crossed!

Heard from a JCPL connection and he predicted the Towpath area should be up around noon tomorrow.
Let’s hope...

Really??? Really???
Mar '18

Jacqui, I own property and have encouraged JCP&L to cut trees along the road I live on.They just do as little repairs and maintenance as possible.By the way New Jersey Power & Light and JCP&L were always known as father and son hiring businesses to keep anyone else out.

Unta
Mar '18

Good lord people. Have you ever heard the adage if you don’t have something good to say don’t say it at all. This is supposed to be for information not griping.

Js24, when you report the outage online it gives you an option of being texted or emailed.

Mar '18

Got the same text message. 3/6 restore date.

Mar '18

Js24, 03/06 11:30PM isTuesday night. Seems like you may have misunderstood it to be tonight.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

How does it go from 1:30 today to 3/6 11:30 pm? That’s crazy . What about the traffic light on 517?! They have to fix it soon

Unta! I am not defending JCPL instead I am defending their workers. I apologize for my miscommunication:(

And some of those trees are owned by the town, so it becomes a fight between the town and JCPL. Who exactly is responsible for the trees. Trust me I know.... A battle I have been fighting for years.

Positive: until you know me, you have no right to judge me as you judge everyone 24/7 on HL!

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

The update is a total CYA by JCP&L. We wanted an ETR, they gave one they’ll meet. Every outage location has the same ETR.

Mar '18

Schooleys Mtn, rec'd text saying by 3 today, then by 8 tonight. Now text says majority in area restored by 11:30 pm 3/6, wow. Just in time for Wed. snow. Really pi$$ed.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '18

Alright I came back for updates but unfortunately I have the same one as the rest of you... 3/6 by 11:30 pm. So much for the ETR’s they teased all day!

Friends in Belvidere are back on as of 7 pm or so, they did not receive any updates from JCP&L at all. My husband and I lined up a place to stay but our pets will have to tough it out. Good luck all

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Jacqui - You have nothing to apologize for. "Unta" was defending his racist claims by switching them to claims of nepotism. That's particularly interesting considering my message was aimed as his usage of his family ties to influence a power company.

Any word if the high school has power? Wondering if we should plan for another school closing.

Wondering Wondering
Mar '18

Good luck Katherine. Hope you and your hubby stay warm. Always a good idea to find another place to stay.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Mar '18

Oh Jeez! I'm not judging you, on the contrary you seem to be the one judging people for being frustrated and complaining about having no heat and electricity.

I understand you were looking at the situation in a different perspective, but you failed to articulate your thoughts without insulting people.

"you judge everyone 24/7 on HL"

Wow, I didn't think I was so judgemental...I'm going to need some time to reflect.

positive positive
Mar '18

I’m not sure about anywhere else but JCPL doesn’t do some maintenance here, they had green crews out this summer clearing around the poles on our property. They came through the whole area, were around for a couple weeks... this is just a hell of a storm.

Brendan Brendan
Mar '18

Anyone that abandons their animals should be shamed especially during this storm! I find this pretty sad hearing someone say that their animals have to fend for "themselves"!

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

Although I like to stay positive and say they are doing all they can do....Not for nothing, but I was actually told by the cable company when looking to get cable run to my house that JCP&L will only replace poles if they break, and never really replace them as a precaution. The pole in my driveway has been marked as rotten bottom for over a year now and is still yet to be changed......

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Are you kidding me Jacqui? I’m not throwing my cats out a window. They will be okay in a fifty degree house with lots of blanket piles while I sleep somewhere where I can charge my phone. My pets are spoiled rotten and I treat them better than half the parents I know treat their kids. I’m not happy that they don’t have heat but no one is abandoning anyone.

(For what it’s worth I’m actually staying home with them after all because I sleep better with them around but don’t you dare shame me, or anyone else, who might have to leave a pet indoors for a night while they make a tough call for their family)

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Just got this Nixel alert from HPD. Thought I would share.

"HACKETTSTOWNPD: The majority of JCP&L customers in Warren County will be restored by Tuesday, March 6, 11:30 p.m. nixle.us/9YG9R

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

You go Katherine! While I would hate to leave mine too they have fur and are equipt to manage 50 degrees, you’re not throwing them in the snow. Hopefully this is soon behind us and we can chuckle a little at those that are a bit cray cray.

Mar '18

Whatever Katherine works for you and your family!

" My husband and I lined up a place to stay but our pets will have to tough it out. Good luck all"

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

Very mild weather for March. Cats have built in fur coats and usually cuddle together.

This is coming from a big animal lover.

Your hypocrisy is so evident..when you have accused me for being so judgmental?

Not sure what's going on with you. Usually your posts seem to come from a pleasant caring person.

positive positive
Mar '18

Maybe the power outage has made us all a little crazy

Mar '18

Oh my god anyone giving Katherine crap about their animal are ridiculous. They are cats , they’ll live. It’s not below zero . Please be positive and bring updates not bs.

The cats will be fine !

My point being is have patience! By Monday morning all or most things should be back to normal. So what you were inconvenienced for a day and a half! Did it kill You? Many of you expected your power back on within a half day when there were thousands of people without power! It really isn't that cold. You can survive a few days without power or heat! IMHO!
Calling JCPL every 5 minutes isn't going to put your power back on!
And yes I still have no power or heat.. But I know eventually it will be turned on again...

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '18

I really don't care that I've lost power or how long it'll take for it to be fixed. My biggest gripe is that we have live wires and and tree down in our driveway so we cannot leave the house until they fix it. I hate being so confined to the house. If we need anything we can't just leave to go get it. My husband can't go to work until it's fixed. I have two young kids at home too.

I just want to know if our situation will be a high priority for them since it involves live wires or if we're a low priority because we're an isolated case.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '18

Good luck , we are on our own ! Still no trucks or men working in oak hill area all weekend! Can't they just say they have no parts ? Amazing how these people want us to be patient, I guess this is how the company works, can't pay those union wages, but they let you know in one day if your bill is late ! Bill Murphy where are you ? Make things happen !

Mar '18

"Bill Murphy where are you ?"

Who is Bill Murphy?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Chill out people. Im worried about my cat too, but I'm sure she'll be fine. Lots of blankets. I miss her cuddling with me though.
PLEASE, I pray for the power to be restored today. Very frustrating.

As for positive being judgemental, I DONT THINK SO. I've known her for 20+ years. Not a judgemental bone in her.

Mar '18

Smilingbecs, if your neighbors don't have power, the downed lines in your driveway are not, at the moment anyway, live wires. If the power is on and the wires are live, call 911. That is an extreme danger.

maja2 maja2
Mar '18

Bill Murphy from Caddyshack.

Scottso Scottso
Mar '18

maja2- That is not true at all. Never under any circumstances assume any wires are dead or will stay that way. There are dozens of reasons they may not be arcing but still may be live (depending on the type of wire, insulation, damage, position, etc.) and even more reasons why they may change their condition at any time with no warning (wind, melting snow, completed repairs upstream in the circuit, etc.).

Seriously, never under any circumstances assume anything about the state of downed wires. Linemen ground wire sections they are working on for a reason: it's the only way to be sure their safe (and capacitance, but let's not get into more reasons not to touch downed wires!). Making a mistake can and most likely will kill you.

Smilingbecs- If the wires are trapping your car in the driveway... that sucks, but if you can't leave the house because of where they are (front and back doors), make sure that JCPL and the fire/police understand that you're trapped in the structure due to downed wires. It will (should) increase your priority in the queue.

brendan brendan
Mar '18

Hackettstown highschool has no power. Will it be open?

Mar '18

Does JCPL reimburse for food lost in refrigerator?

Mar '18

Don’t think so bby. Check your Homeowners insurance policy.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

Your homeowners may reimburse for lost food. We filed a claim after sandy and got money back. At the time it was not part of the deductible, but I think after sandy that may have changed. Give your insurance a call.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

This power outage would be considered an act of god, you will not get any coverage for your spoiled food. It would be covered under homeowners insurance but you have your deductible of course.

We’re going to attempt to claim lost food on our renters insurance.

For what it’s worth, our status now says DISPATCHED! (Oak Hill/Towpath/Countryside - I believe we’re all linked)

Thank you to all those who defended my cats ;) we stayed home with them last night and they were very cozy warm piled into bed with us. I know we’re all on edge from being cold right now so let’s not fight amongst ourselves. Hoping for safe working conditions for linemen and a quick restoration of power.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

I saw multiple JCP&L trucks on Stiger street about 15 minutes ago. Probably part of the "dispatch".

Route 46
Mar '18

Thousands remained without power Sunday as clean-up from Friday's nor'easter continued. As of Sunday morning, more than 100,000 customers were without power, with JCP&L expecting some may not get powered restored until Wednesday. Per the utility c...
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/thousands_without_power_36_hours_after_noreaster_j.html

Bug3
Mar '18

Up and running on Schooley's Mtn. Hope it stays on. Hope you all get powered up soon too.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '18

from JCP&L:

Countryside back up by 3:30 today!

mrbredal mrbredal
Mar '18

So happy for all who got their power back. Pray for the rest of us, PLEASE.

Jesse, 3wb - yea, you both have a point.

Mar '18

Here's what HPD has to say about the bad ETRs.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '18

Any updates on road closures in and around Mansfield township?

Yesterday for countryside they said 1:30 then 3:30.... and then nothing.
But my fingers are crossed!!!

Also 3:30 for Towpath. I won’t be around to confirm until around 5pm but I’ll check back here for updates, see if I can get hold of one of my neighbors, etc. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Any update on Rt57 Mansfield between Old Tpk and Stephensburg Rd?
No time given when I called JCPL.

Mar '18

About 5 Trucks are all parked at the crossroads plaza (sonnys pizza)! Fingers crossed!!!!

Red227 Red227
Mar '18

We never lost power in our section of oak hill until today... Now we are out too... Not sure what that means

Rleaf Rleaf
Mar '18

Will cable service/internet (Comcast) be restored soon? I’m in 517 just north of QC.

Consigliere
Mar '18

Rleaf maybe they had to disconnect everyone to work safely. I wouldn’t worry too much unless it lasts for a while.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

Brendan et al: pls don't take my comments as dissing on the linemen etc. Hardly the case. My issue, and you heard the heartfelt result from Katherine, is the incompetent communications forcing us to make decisions without the information they could have provided. Worse yet, in the past they had a system that did provide better information faster making wonder the reason we are where we are.

Think I'm mean or crazy? Click on the outage map banner for free water and ice. Up pops some useless links......No water, no ice. Amazing.

OK, so this was a Sandy-level storm that JCPL communicated worse than during Sandy. Need I say more? One would think they learned something.... Secondly, Governor Phil had a great opportunity to help; as far as I can tell, he is silent.

What should they have done? They should have said: "here's our etr schedule for each outage." If they couldn't say that, they could say it's huge, here is our Total outage ETR Date." OR if it was so big, as it turned out, they should have said: "we are assessing for 24-hours and will tell you our Total Outdate ETR then. Until we fully assess, service recovery will be slow" It's called communication and now folks have basically the same info as JCPL and can make decisions on the best info available.

Instead they basically stopped communicating until late Saturday afternoon.

So this one is yuge, they seemed to be saying WTF and some where's along the line they decided to pause, consider, and then 24 hours or so after the fact they finally put out the Sandy-strategy timeline with an end-of-game date of 3/6 at 11:30pm. Really? Like they needed to have folks go through a hellish night just to hear that Saturday late afternoon based on the same thought process and timeline strategy as Sandy? I would hope for improved communications, not degraded.

What does this mean? It means they will get a heck of a lot done today, tomorrow, but I can tell you right now folks ---- if you are not up on Tues, that's when the crews start ramping down, foreign linemen go home, others get some rest, so pls do not be the last man..... I think they blew Sandy's date like 9 times but it was only that last 5% so...........no one really cared except the affected. Just saying.

The numbers: peak was 18.9k out for Warren, right now we stand at 14.8K so 4,000 brought up and we've gone from 1 out of three out to 1 out of 4 out. Hackettstown is 90% up, but Blairstown 77% out, Hope 78% out, Indy 71%, Oxford 74% and Liberty, our perennial weak spot --- 99% out.

So there's lost of pain out there, right next door, as of high noon on Sunday. Colder night tonight folks so plan accordingly, help your neighbors, check on those needing checking and best luck.

Mar '18

The street going to hackettstown highschool now has power aswell as the school

Mar '18

I got power back in Brook Hollow like 15 minutes ago.

Mar '18

JCP&L truck just drove through ridge Lane!! Neighbor stopped him to ask about when power will be restored and he said by the end of today! Yay!

No numbers for Mansfield? Still out here. 45 degrees in house. Brrr.....

Mar '18

Transformer blew next to Calico, so that was one problem they took care of. They're visibly out working so it should just be a matter of where in the queue you are.

How about countryside ? Are they still working by QC?

Yes they are still by QC now

Red227 Red227
Mar '18

strangerdanger- I understand your frustration with the lack of communication, and I'll agree that they should have come out earlier and said "We're screwed" because that's basically the scale we're at. My point was that there is almost no chance they have a complete picture of the outages and incidents involved, so there is literally no way for them to give a completely accurate timeline on fixes. It's like asking how many doors are closed in a house when you can't see out of the room you're in because that door is closed too. The reason they kept blowing expected restorations during Sandy at the end is because when you fix one problem a large portion of the downstream circuits come up, except for where there are more issues... When you fix one of those there are still more issues farther downstream that only become visible after the last fix. The full scope of the damage will only be accurately known once all service has been restored. I was attempting to urge people not to complain about the texts asking if their service was restored yet and reply. File reports for your address even if you know they know you're out. The more data they get the easier it is to target fixes that will restore the most service.

brendan brendan
Mar '18

Any clue when johnson / russling will he on?

Mar '18

Powers back on Rt57 Mansfield. Thank goodness!!

Mar '18

At least eight people died as a result of this storm, including a six year old boy asleep in his bed. So . . . think of him when you throw out that box of thawed tater tots.

Whatmatters Whatmatters
Mar '18

+10000 Whatmatters

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Mar '18

POWER on Bilby and countryside ! Yay

Belmont Drive in Oak Hill has power.

diesel diesel
Mar '18

Anyone with xfinity out by the Penwell/Mansfield area still without cable?

Power on Harvard Drive Oak Hill about 115 pm...been out since Friday 1 pm.

MKbabynurse MKbabynurse
Mar '18

Makes sense Brendan. Interesting information. I wasn’t going to report my outage but eventually did for the reason you stated. I’m hopeful that Ridge Lane is coming online soon!

Anyone know if Carnegie Ct In Oak Hill is on? Thanks.

Lifeistooshort Lifeistooshort
Mar '18

I think that the real problem ultimately comes down to communication. I honestly learned far more about the outages, and what's being done about them, from this thread than I did from stories in the news media. If the state's governor, along with a knowledgeable rep from JCP&L, had held a detailed press conference, explaining how the electrical grid works, giving out numbers like number of fallen trees and damaged circuits and average time to repair, noting things like the high risk of working in a bucket truck in high winds, etc., etc., etc., it would have done a lot to ease the frustration. And then, if they followed up with certain reports, like areas successfully restored, where linemen will be focusing next (and why that area is a priority), and areas that almost certainly will NOT be restored for a day or more, then at least people could see that something IS being done, and they might be able to plan their own lives more appropriately. (And, yes, I realize that it's a complex issue, but when JCP&L knows (for a hypothetical example) that it is dispatching all it's repair trucks to Morristown, before Hackettstown, and that no repairs will be done in Hackettstown for at least 4 hours, then they can certainly say so.)

And I see that as a fault with the State Government, even more than with JCP&L. The company's job is to provide power. It is the government's job to protect and inform the people, so that they can feel safe and happy and go on with their lives. And the government SHOULD have learned that lesson, after Sandy, but not much seems to have changed.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Mar '18

Marc-mine is out too. Rt57 Mansfield. Oh well, at least I have power. I will read a book, clean around the house, etc..lol

Mar '18

Right on jerseywolf!

Just got a call that Towpath is back on, but I’m not home to confirm or deny that, anyone know?

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

No Brendan. You actually made my point: "My point was that there is almost no chance they have a complete picture of the outages and incidents involved, so there is literally no way for them to give a completely accurate timeline on fixes." So, they should tell us that, not nothing which is what they do.

"The reason they kept blowing expected restorations during Sandy at the end is because when you fix one problem a large portion of the downstream circuits come up, except for where there are more issues... " No again. These folks are experts, they know the possibilities. They need to learn to communicated them. If you blew one ETR because of downstream problems, then perhaps you should consider that the 2nd time you pitch an ETR, the 3rd time, 4th, 8th?

I agree, call, and call often. Do not be made to feel guilty by the "an outage has already been reported....." Especially if you are the last man OR if you are not up on Tues morning because if that's the case, you ARE the last man.

Brendan, I have been "helping" people determine timelines and schedules for decades. First priority: give me a date. Second priority: if you can't give me a date, then give me a date for a date. Overarching rule And if you screw the pooch, I will defend you to the end. But you better have a great reason and a even better reason why you won't do that again or else you are fired. It's called competency where, sure mistakes happen and we need to compensate. But you better know your stuff, your dates and you better not screw the same thing up the same way twice.

This is Sandy redux and it shouldn't be; jcpl should have improved communications, they have had in the past before they "enhanced" the system to hide their performance.

That said: 15K out now for Warren so they are "finding" folks who are out, or, as someone just stated, putting people so they can fix others, butd we are NOT on a downward trend. I do expect vast improvement by EOD, think this is just numbers shaking out, not more people going out.

Mar '18

Katherine I’m in Countryside and we came back up about 45 Mins ago. Also just got a JCP&L text stating “repairs complete”. FYI - cable is still out. It feels so good to have the heat running.

Msuek40
Mar '18

As you all started getting your power back, I lost my internet.

Scottso Scottso
Mar '18

GC - A transformer didn't blow near me. A tree from across the street came down across the road and onto my lawn taking the wires with it. Nobody from JCP&L has even come to look at it and assess yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

My father-in-law is in Oakhill Townhouses and just got his power back on

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Mar '18

We live off N. Main St. in Hackettstown and our power is still out. Almost 2 days now. We weathered out one night in a cold house but sadly had to leave our precious Miss Kitty in the cold house and stay with family for a while. We go back every so often to check on her as we are not that far away.

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Please don't compare this storm to Sandy..many people were out 8+ days during Sandy..this storm is just a bump in the road

Bug3
Mar '18

Hoping if Ridge Lane comes on so will Christine Rd

Mar '18

I’m on countryside and got power a little after 1 pm.

As for Comcast, they are claiming to have all issues corrected and fixed by 10:30 pm tonight.

Don’t hold your breath people.

Countryside
Mar '18

13.6K, a huge improvement, we are on the move!

Hopefully a big spike by EOD.

Bug: understood. 3/6 is not a bump in my book, and it's early yet. IMO, I think if you "categorized" this one, it would be in the "jumbo" category of which hopefully we will never see another category larger. But point taken, and I guess I was saying it was big enough to use a Sandy-like assessment of the final ETR versus interim schedule dates. But 5 days is not 8 days. And one day is too much :>(

Mar '18

Can anyone just verify that the power on Saxton Drive in Brook Hollow has been restored and still on...thanks a bunch

Sitting in the Dark
Mar '18

Saxton got power back at 11:45 this morning.

Mar '18

Actually power is back a lot of places today...with Sandy it was 8 days before anyone got power..up to 2 weeks before everyone got it...

Bug3
Mar '18

When will russling road be back??

jeanielikesbeanies jeanielikesbeanies
Mar '18

Thank you Nice Neighbor

Sitting in the Dark
Mar '18

All of the information out there about JCPL tell me they staff their company for day to day operations. They don't staff for emergency situations. They have insourced groups from other First Energy companies, cooperative groups from other electric companies and lastly outsourced contractors that handle such emergencies. This is the reality of how for profit companies that are price regulated by the government are going go operate to make a dime. If anyone thinks this is going to change I think they are fooling themselves. They are not going to staff for emergencies. They also do not activate these people to get in place before anything actually happens which is where I think they could improve to respond quicker but again something I don't think they will do. All of these above "thoughts" are what caused me to buy a generator post Sandy and I am glad I did. I don't think we will see much change as long as JCPL runs as a for profit almost monopoly. Just my two cents for today.

Cheers
Bob

Mar '18

Bob, exactly right. I am sitting next to someone right now who works for jcpl and admitted they do not outsource for emergencies like other power companies do. Additionally, the reporting originates where the mothership is - Ohio.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

Warren Hills is on a 2 hour delay tomorrow.... FYI. There are a few schools closed. Check it out on news 12 website

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Mar '18

@ RAS. Me too I’m really hoping ridge lane gets repaired. I’m usually a postitive person but like this totally sucks. Thanks so much for the info and let us know if the power gets back on!! (I’m not home right now)

Positiveperson Positiveperson
Mar '18

I saw West Morris HS is closed 3/5

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

Cable is out. Comcast tried sending signals but didn't work. Sending tech out on Thursday. WTH! Can only clean house for so long. UGH!!

Mar '18

I’m actually on overlook but most people know ridge lane. Will post if power comes back on. No go as of 5:10. Ugh!

The power is on

Positiveperson Positiveperson
Mar '18

Russling road just got power but not johnson road. What’s the issue with johnson?

Mar '18

Christine rd still out

Mar '18

Yeah almost a week for Comcast to restore service is kind of ridiculous. But they still expect their bill paid on time.

Would comcast give you credit for days lost?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

FYI - On our way home from Applebees, we saw 2 JCP&L trucks still out driving around. They made a left off of Grand Street going down towards the Middle School. I hope some of you all that still out may get some light real soon if they are still out at this time. There still may be some hope guys.

Countryside
Mar '18

If Comcast is out for more than 6 hrs, they will give you a credit if you call.

Ugh! Still out on ridge/overlook and we’re freezing (not really but we’re cold). Thought power would be back on so didn’t make arrangements for showering for work tomorrow. Perhaps the company gym will let me even though I’m not a member.

RAS- Gibsons in Washington is opening there doors for hot showers etc. look into that!

Lele214 Lele214
Mar '18

Any clue when shakespeare or johnson road will have power?

6catsandcounting6 6catsandcounting6
Mar '18

We lost Comcast for over 24 hours and will be getting a credit.. I opened 4 separate calls this weekend...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '18

CALICO -

I may be wrong but I took GC's post about "Calico" as being the florist down on Willow Grove Street, not you...lol. I could be wrong so forgive me if I am.

Countryside
Mar '18

If you're talking about situations where all utilities are out due to poles/lines being down, the cable company can't repair their lines until after the power company does.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

Are people really complaining about not having cable.....meanwhile how many people's houses are 45 degrees tonight because they do not have power.......

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

13.6k still put so not a stellar afternoon, matter of fact, no improvement. That’s over 20%. Think h-town has 10k residents to put this in perspective.

Will be better tommorrow.

Mar '18

Agreed Darrin, I’m feeling extremely blessed to be thawing out my apartment right now. I hope no one has to have another cold night.

Katherine Katherine
Mar '18

I am extremely thankful for having my lights and especially the heat back on. I'm one to usually complain it's to hot in here but after being extremely cold these last few days and nights I will bite my tongue from now on before saying that.

Countryside
Mar '18

i kinda like having no internet at the house. we're actually talking and looking at each other! For all the people complaining about staffing being light and insufficient for high demand situations, just remember that the business environment is influenced by tax incentives and if companies are rewarded for short-term profits they will reduce headcount every quarter to make the 'numbers'.

we reap as we sow.

friendlyMcFriend friendlyMcFriend
Mar '18

While I'm also thankful to have my cable/internet working (Comcast), I do think the outage on this should be in a different post altogether. People coming to this post are basically looking for electricity/heat for their house and not so much as the cable right now. Just a thought and JMOP.

Countryside
Mar '18

Calico696 - I think if you thought about it, you'd realize "countryside" is correct. I've been to your house, you and I both know the nearest transformer is probably 15 miles away. After all, Oxford has what, three in the entire town? ;-)

You know where I live too, and the florist on Willow Grove by me is where the transformer blew.

12.7k an hour later with 900 more up and heating so go guys go and stay safe out there. Let’s crack 10k soon.

Mar '18

11.7 now so really cooking.

Mar '18

Got it GC. We are still out. Tree and power lines still in the road and on my lawn.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

You know it's a numbers game and there is not necessarily anything wrong with this. A lot of work for a house or two or three will get pushed to the end...

I said this to my husband last night when we came back from having dinner out- where, thankfully, I got to use an outlet to charge a bunch of stuff while we ate. ( Helpful hint- have a power strip to plug several things instead of taking up all outlets

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

I live in Bloomsbury - yes Hunterdon county - but just cross the river from Warren county - the town lost power yesterday 345 (ish) pm - still out now.....no reason that anyone can figure out - telling us 1130pm Tuesday (like alot of people have been told).
Just thought it was strange to loose it at this time.

wbeleno wbeleno
Mar '18

Just received nixle alerts that JCP&L will be working on the Chester and Port Murray substations today to restore the Washington Township (Morris Cty) folks that are still out.

Bottled water and charging stations available at the WT Municipal Building along with non-potable water.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '18

We are still without power and probably will be for a while off North Main St. In Hackettstown if what Ijay is saying is true because our power lines supply power to only 1/2 a dozen houses including ours. We are so grateful to have a warm bed and heat available to us while our power is out. Just hoping we get this corrected before the next storm hits.

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Has anyone seen a JCP&L truck around??

Mar '18

Just reset etr to 3/7 @ 11:30pm. Most to be up by tommorrow still but.....

We are at 12.8k out so lost ground last night.

Same old, same old. Reset number 1.

Had anyone seen any shelter info? Gonna get extra dicey with weds nor easter.

Mar '18

I'm still shocked that nobody from JCP&L has been out yet to even assess my street. In the past, someone usually has come by withing 48 hours to look at the damage. It's a dead end, obviously with only one way out, and my neighbor has been trapped since Friday. I certainly hope she doesn't have a medical emergency or have her house catch on fire. There is no way for the first responders to get to her. I called JCP&L again this morning to stress that we don't give a damn when the power is restored, we just want them to come get the tree out of the damn road.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

11k out 4:45pm; that’s like 20% out meaning we moved from 1:3 out to 1:5 out. I know that don’t matter if you're out, but they are ramping up the recovery.

Press releases with support availabilty are up; maybe someone can link them. My phone may be smart...

The reset separates the hard cases to 3/7; most still to be up by tommorrow at 11:30pm. We will seem to be moving forward again.

Seems higher priority to Morris and Hunterdon. Morris I can understand, population, H-don, guess money talks.

Mar '18

Johnson, shakespere, and ketcham stil out of power. Unbelievable.

Mar '18

No power yet, but progress. A JCP&L truck came by and removed the power lines from the tree. They said they cannot send the crew to fix the power until the tree is removed. My husband has a call in to the mayor to see if the town crew can come by tomorrow morning and remove the tree. Fun, fun, fun.....

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

On Christine in Independence. Got message it would be onby 830am today. Then it switched back to Tuesday...seems like everyonne around us has power

Mar '18

I'm still without power on Mt. Rascal Rd. I've talked to two live jcp&l people in the past day who called to confirm that my power was still on. Nope. The lines are still on my driveway. They said they would send someone out to investigate but I'm still waiting...

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '18

Still no power on overlook. Neighbor hooked up their spare generator for us. So we have power intermittently cause we can only run it for an hour or so then have to turn it off. At least we got to heat the house up and have lights and water off and on. Thank you neighbors!

That sucks Dana!!! Even if they CAN, you'll get power back just in time for this NEXT damn storm!

JCP&L underestimated the response needed on this one, imo.

Mar '18

There are crews from Ohio, Texas, Indiana and Pa. Morris county was hit worse than us. The JCP&L lineman I know has been working from 11pm until 3pm everyday since Friday. He's beat. It's a process to restore electricity when so many are without. There are no magic wands. With so many trees down it has made their job more difficult getting things up and running in a timely fashion. Yes, it is frustrating and difficult for everyone. Keep fingers crossed the amount of trees don't come down as they did on Friday and things won't get any worse. Hang tight everybody and stay safe, and stay away from down wires.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

We moved from 18.9k below 10k and have 7.4k out or 14%. So we had 1 out of 3 out, now closing in on 1 out of 10.

Its not perfect but it is the best night so far.

Mar '18

What I don't get is, this last storm was nowhere NEAR the damage that the Halloween ice storm or Sandy were, but it seems to be taking just as long to restore power???

Mar '18

I guess it just depends on what was damaged and where.

When I left work Friday I was like there’s nothing on the roads, a little windy but we’re good. Then I got into mendham area and the trees were saturated with snow and ice and im like every one of these trees had like a thousand death tools on em. Scariest drive home ever.

Damage wise I am not sure how big the differences were. We clocked hurricane force winds on this one at 70+ miles. I think in both cases we breached a tipping point into a major event.

And I think we will, depending on the next snow, move through this one faster hopefully down to the last 5% by tommorrow.

Mar '18

6.7k out now, continuing to move that number down. Looked like we might not break 10k tonight, now we might get below 5k.

Thanks guys, hang in there, be safe.

Mar '18

On Danville Mtn Road in Great Meadows...no power to us or several neighbours. Transformer kinda hanging from a snapped pole couple houses away....

Marvin Marvin
Mar '18

It won't hurt us, well, at least Some of us, to pray for help with the undue stress, and to give strength, and safety, to all that are met with this event.
It doesn't take much to pray for one, or something. Just a brief thought, and asking for a blessing, to help get through this.
A little prayer cannot hurt. ( This is my Opinion, and by no means, do I ask anyone to
do as I believe! )

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '18

Halloween Ice Storm 2011
600,000 without power in NJ, 3.2 million total

Hurricane Sandy 2012
2.5 million without power in NJ, 8.1 million total

THIS LAST storm? Largest estimate I heard was 200,000 in NJ.

This was nowhere near as bad as the last 2.

Mar '18

I agree yet I don’t know what “catagory” this falls in if such a thing exists.

Plus, at the storm’s peak, pretty much every township west os h-town was out 80%, many at higher than 95%, so those townships felt prwtty darned close to Sandy, just not as widespread throughout the state as Sandy. Response strategy is Sandy-like and communication level is worse.

Was not below freezing for Sandy.

Frankly, it is not an adequate response IMO with communications being subpar.

Mar '18

We start the day with 7k out so no progress overnight.

Today, based on the current pace it is doable but they will have to pick up speed a bit to get er done before this next dumping. And there will still be people out, guaranteed. I just hope they alteady know it so they can plan accordingly since we may be about to become immobile for a bit of time again.

Mar '18

I just checked on JCPL's website and the restoration time (at least for my house) has been pushed back to 3/7 at 11:30pm.

MB - Mine too. Uggh!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

I called again today too( we have been staying with family and don't know if they called us back or not).. and made them aware that it has been 3 days for us and that we still have power lines down in our driveway and along the front yard fence. Our latest now with all this to be considered is midnight tonight. Hopefully before the new storm hits.

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Wow, just came back from Hunterdon county, couldn't believe it. 513 in Califon poles down, all stores and businesses closed. Farther down on Mt. Grove road 3 massive poles bent over, not on road, passable but gave you the feeling to duck. Passed a pole down in the road, letting cars by. I saw at least 10 trees down within 5 miles. It's a mess. I can't see that area getting their power back on by tomorrow. I hope they make it through.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

Auntiel...

That just (to me) shows the lack of manpower/adequate response on this one. I know it's not easy, I know it can be dangerous work, and I luckily did not lose power this time (5 days with the ice storm, 3 days with Sandy)... but whether JCP&L underestimated the response or purposely didn't want to.... spend the money?... calling in more outside help, it is at this point borderline incompetence, imo.

If anyone who still doesn't have power, and is using a generator, and could use some more 5 gal gas cans, let me know.... I have some you can borrow if it'll make life easier. Drop me an email (the envelope beside my name)

Mar '18

from Mansfield Neighborhood Watch FB page:

Hi everyone!
I am the Mayor of Glen Gardner, hoping everyone is hanging in there! Ive been on literally 10+ conference calls with all of the Mayors of NJ with JCP&L and their executive board which has a Q&A for us to have specific issues addressed. I'm not sure your Mayor was on the calls. (I'm not bashing him he's actually a nice guy and may not have been included as he is new). Here is what I know: Ignore the Restoration Reports and the website which shows the amount of outages as they are completely inaccurate. They prioritized getting downed trees and wires taken care of first. (Earlier there were plenty still down). I have also had a meeting with the Governors Office to get more resources and the state to jump in and help. I am going to drive over to see if I can get your Mayor on the phone to give him the contact numbers for JCP&L (they are specific for Mayors and OEM Officials and have helped our town amazingly.

Mar '18

We still have no power on Mt. Bethel Rd. In Mansfield. It seems that the pole is still down on Rockport and Mt. Bethel is still strewn with downed power lines. No JCP&L trucks in sight!

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

I'm in Long Valley, off of Route 513. I still have no power. However, the Internet just came back. Fortunately I have a generator but still have to drive 20 minutes once a day to find an opened gas station.

3 utility trucks from Indiana working at the herb farm on mt bethel. Fingers crossed

Thank you for the hopeful news G-po!

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

I heard Shades of Death has power now and crews are working on Danville Mountain in Liberty Twps.

WashingtonTswp
Mar '18

No generator??? ...... Getting tax refund? ..... Good to maybe think of buying a little generator? ..... No??... Then don't cry when the next storm hits. ( I say to my kids! )

On the other hand. Looking at most of the pictures of the lines down in our area and on the other area's of the state, 95% of what is shown, shows the poles and related equipment snapped or cracked. I looked up at one of the closest pole structure, and clearly, the Wooden T-cross that supports the Higher voltage ( 7200 Volts ) shows signs of age and rot.
There is a testing company, that is supposed to take small core samples of the poles at different required heights, and test for rot, and dryness. I don't hear of that ever being done, and if so, where are reports of the test / findings?

There are potentials for a lot of jobs out there. If the infrastructure is in need of repair, then why are not jobs offered to strengthen this sector of work?

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '18

I was just driving through the Wood Glen area, Lebanon Twp, Hunterdon...across the river from Warren County. There are poles down, transformers on the ground etc. There was a man from southern NJ taking photos to record the damage, he said 60 poles down. At 2pm in the afternoon it's pretty clear that all of that isnt't going to be restored today. There will be plenty of people without power going into this next storm, a scenario taking place in many localities.

Good luck to all those that don't get restored by tonight.

I was struck with how many generators have been installed, that's good news. But, it is a sad commentary on our infrastructure.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

9 hours later and 5,800 out. That’s 1,000 fixed in 9 hours so I pray for a sprint over next few hours.

Mar '18

Well, I think Murphy has already declared a state of emergency for this one arriving tonight... that will open up state funds for restoration, and JCP&L could call in alot more crews.

Murphy "can't decide" whether or not to declare a state of emergency for the last storm (that all the damage is still not repaired)...

Mar '18

MB and Calico; that’s bogus and the second edit on the schedule.

I am sorry. Foot of snow, some winds (not like this one) and we can do the math on that possibility.

Unacceptable. These guys are a public utility with a contract witb our state government. They need to be held accountable.

Mar '18

Anyway know if Valley Rd is back up yet?

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '18

Still no power on Mt. Bethel Rd. and Rockport Rd is still closed between Snyder and Port Murray. Is that telephone pole still lying across the road there?

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

Accountable for a major storm?...get a generator and suck it up....you chose to live in a lightly populated rural county..more populated areas get priority....we have 1950s era power distribution network that doesn't have all the computerized bells and whistles...everything has to be done manually...they do have some modern remote switches and transformers that can be reset remotely but the only way to find down wires is to look for them....so please stop with the JCP&L website restore time bashing....there really is no way to give accurate info because the real restore time is unknown

Bug3
Mar '18

I think these now have etr for 3/7 11:30 pm. Sorry.

Mt Bethel was open, Synder from that side was not coned off.

Mar '18

Folks, there are some very nice and expensive homes in Chester with no power; I know a few. Same goes for Califon and others.

SD, is your power out?

Bug3,
During sandy tons of additional crews were brought in to help. They sat in parking lots for over a week with no direction from jcp&l. My street called jcp&l daily to report the power outage, they also placed electrical hazard tape across our driveways due to downed wires. After two weeks one of the out of state crews showed up, told us they were driving around on their own to restore power because jcp&l was too unorganized to figure anything out so they were working on their own, as were many other out of state crews. Our street was not even listed as out of power despite repeated calls. The out of state crew had our power back on in two hours. Also, the office of emergency management gives outage info directly to jcp&l so they know who is out of power.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

Lost power for 6 hours today while they fixed the neighbors.....can't complain!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Look on the bright side everyone: you will all be restored before we are.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

They also hit the most populated places first

Bug3
Mar '18

Still out in Independence....

Mar '18

...and still out on Mt. Bethel Rd.

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

Snow is starting to fall and we are still out N Main St/46 W in Independence,
They taped off the downed wires today but no power yet for us. But we have a warm bed for the night but sure would like to be in our own..Brings to mind a old saying "You don't miss the water until the well runs dry!"..

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Oh my gosh Joy, haven't heard that since my Grandma (you remember her). If you need anything please do not hesitate contacting us. We are here for whatever you need.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

Our power was finally restored around 7pm.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '18

We start the day at 3,500 out or under 7% so that’s 15,500 fixed so they made 80% of their first estimate. By mid day, I hope anyone out has accomomdations, we may be immobile till Thursday once this thing cranks up.

Bug et al: since when is reporting facts bashing?

I only “bash” to note the need for better reporting to the public so that we, as individuals, can make the best informed decisions to protect our families. Also, due to the magic that is the internet, any jcpl comunication can be instantly erased and replaced with something else so its nice to record their shenanigans with the timeline and narrative.

I do so with reason; while their reporting system is ok; it has been better so I know it can be done. The bersion we have now is dumbed down. Today’s reporting has an element of cya and reduced liabilty to jcpl versus getting us better info.

As to my own circumstances, thank you for asking. I am the last man and usually first to go and last to come back. This time I was spared for all but a few minutes. In 30 years, that has only happened a few times. Yes, I have a generator; about 100 hours of fuel, and plenty of pellets so power is nice.

I am just hoping they are spending that emergency money now, today. And the this snow is a good one. It will be wet so the potential of anything weakened coming down is high. It is faster moving so hopefully over by dinner? But we will need just the right wind to knock the snow off the trees without knocking the trees down. —— that will be a good snow.

Good luck all, stay safe and help those needing help.

Mar '18

Oh man, so sorry Rebecka.....

Mar '18

Thanks, Auntiel. we really appreciate your offer but for now we still have a warm place close to home to be so we can keep track of what is going on and check on Miss Kitty all the time. ..It is now Wednesday morning and snow is falling but still no power for us yet at our house. Be safe and warm everyone if you can!

joyful joyful
Mar '18

We are still out as well.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

@JR- We have a whole-house generator and 500-gal propane tank, so I'm not complaining at all! I think when you're on the end of a power line that runs a long way through the woods, you kind of have to realize that everyone else will (and should) get restored first.

DH and I both believe we won't get power back until next week. But we're prepared.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Rebecka, I was going to do the same exact setup at my house, How much run-time do you get with the 500gal? That's over a month right?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Like I said:

' That's because JCP&L prioritizes areas to restore by locations that give power back to the most customers, spokesman Chris Eck said Tuesday.

"If we have a substation out with a crew working to give back power to 10,000 people, that takes priority over a sub-station that gives power back to two houses. We have to go where we can do the most good the quickest," Eck said. '

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/40k_furious_jcpl_customers_brace_for_major_snowstorm_while_still_without_power.html

Time to be realistic, like Rebecka, and look around your property and up the street. If there are a lot of poles for few homes, then you know the answer. And you know that you should have a generator with a large fuel source so you don't need to go to the gas station every day, or better yet if you have a tree free area Solar with battery.

@Darrin - not really sure, only because we installed the generator and tank after Sandy, and haven't had to use it for extended amounts of time. I'll ask DH if he knows the estimated run time, though. (We also hooked up our grill to the tank. So much easier not to have to lug those grill tanks.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

That would be great, I am very interested. I was going to do gen with tank for now, then eventually change the secondary heat in my home over to propane, then the oven

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Darrin's prepping for war with Putin!!! lol

Mar '18

So SD, you live on a rural road. You really expect power on wood poles to be super resilient? You see trees have fallen many poles and lines but you expect a 2-3 day turnaround? Probably doable, but your rates would double or triple...

Our power is still out on Mt. Bethel Rd. since Friday and I just called JCP&L and was told as far as they know our power is back on. The representative told me he will have to enter a new ticket!

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

I have been hearing/reading WIDE-RANGING reports of that: JCP&L telling people they had power when they did NOT, closing the ticket, then you are sent to the back of the line when you call back to tell them you do NOT indeed have power.

At this point it's just incompetence. Performance and communication was BETTER for the last 2 big outages- and they were MUCH BIGGER events than this last one.

Mar '18

Ijay: no I don’t. I never said that though; I just want better reporting. We are starting to lise more folks already; damn

Darrin: depends on the gene. My 100 hours I computed based on tank size. Its a fat standup. If you get it installed and want maintenance, use Hoffman; close enough and best I have found. I’m about 20kw. So far so good but this back2back making me consider.

Jr: not quite. I think they go back in queue which may seem like back of line because the “swarm” has passed. In a big one, the send help in waves: spotters, assessors, cutters, pole people and then the lineman. This one seems to be beyond the swarm though and I am gurssing its the type of outages and quantity of “unswarmable” ones that ate slowing things down. .

My first house had a mile driveway, power line cross country that was constantly nicked by buchshot, some mine :-(. Telephone came from the driveway so different pole and wire run. And closest house half mile away. So what were you saying about rural?

But, in the real country, we knew the linemen and kur neighbors so info was much better.

Mar '18

Several utility trucks doing slow drive by on Overlook and Christine! Is it too much to hope???

We are near Merrill creek and have been without power since Friday morning until yesterday we were unable to leave our neighborhood due to trees down unfortunately they keep moving our etr backwards.. .. the reality is as more people lose power today will get put back to the back of the list... 5 days for a snowstorm is pretty ridiculous and they put on the neighborhoods with high populations first I have been told that directly by a jcpl representative... but those are also neighborhoods (for the most part) that have public water and utilities.. in our area it is all electric so without power we have no water heat stove etc... nothing... as a electric company customer I am still paying the same rate as everyone else and subject to the rate hikes as everyone else it infuriates me that I can be out of power for 5 days but if someone in a more populated area loses their electric for two hours they get put back on first ridiculous... not to mention that if myself or some neighbors needed a fire truck or ambulance or emergency response it wouldn't happen as they are unable to reach us... it is just not one house it's a neighborhood and that is a liability... just praying that we get it back shorter than longer

Harleydeucegal Harleydeucegal
Mar '18

100 hours is not enough, where I live, and based on sandy, I would want at the very least 2 weeks runtime. My parents neighbor is at 17kw, I believe they have 200 gal of propane and they were sold on 2 weeks.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

For future reference: JCP&L had 29,150 customers out this a.m.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

Overlook now has power! Hackettstown wife, you should have it too! Hopefully it stays on!

So that's 500 fixed in four hours which, given the forecast, seems good to me. Glad folks are still coming on line today ---- go linemen go.....

Certainly get them something hot if you see them; it's got to be cold n wet out there.

Back down to 3,000; wonder if last night's uptick was fixes gone bad? Who cares now, we are moving forward still.

Darrin: big bob tank is 200gal, I have pretty similar kw, and I am pretty sure I am around 100 hours. Rate is usually in the manual. Also have two 100 gals for the range and three or four 11 gals for my extreme bbq backup... I agree with the Sandy timing for 100-year backup, but I figure I can cut my way out to let them in and get them there in 100 hours. They like me. Worked for Sandy, no issue getting them in. If I was putting in a new facility, I would go 200 hours probably.

Mar '18

The uptick may be due to the outage reports that were closed out in error, like ours.

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

Agreed.

So call and call often.

If you don't have an etr, call every few hours or so until you do.

If you do have an etr, they won't change it until last 15 minutes so call then for sure.

Do not believe: "you're in the good hands company," because you are not. You're in the we communicate to clearly cya (or cooa -- our own) company.

When in doubt call, ignore that makes-you=feel-guilty "an outage has already been reported......" message; if they really knew what's up, they would give you a stone-cold you-bet-your-life etr. Instead we get this level of feedback, so call and call often.

Mar '18

Just saw this on FB, posted 18 hours ago somewhere near Randolph:

"Here comes the cavalry!" "From the south, midwest...."

Mar '18

Call often is the answer. If their automated systems were good enough people would not physically call. They have to staff those calls so inundate them to get them to improve their systems...

I checked the JCPL app last night and it said there was no outage report for my address. Called and the outage was listed. And now my neighborhood is showing on their map, which it hadn’t been since after the first day we were out.

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

Crews from the South and Midwest have been here since Saturday and have been arriving in flocks since. There are several staging areas set up for them. They also are working around the clock with the JCPL crews. I know with todays storm frustration is rising but they are working around the clock to try to restore everyone.

WashingtonTswp
Mar '18

Oh Boy! Here comes the wind! ~ ~ ~ Temperature went up from 32.1 to 33.0 degrees

Area: Kenwood 4" inches on roof's deck area. 1.5 " on sidewalks, and pavement.

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '18

I find it odd that no trees down (They were all cleared Saturday morn) just one power wire laying on ground up on Fairmount Rd and power back all around yet that stretch is still down with what looks like an easy tie in of one wire. I drove all the area no other lines down I see.. unless I missed something. My poor 88 yr old father has been struggling since noon Friday and refuses to pack up and leave his house. Thank goodness we had a generator to help some.

Grascal
Mar '18

An out of state truck is on my street now some hopefully my power will be back on soon!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Mar '18

We're Back!!!!! Power is back at our home! Thank you so much Power and Light and our gracious hosts who have let us stay with them these last 4 days.

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Joyful where are you?

Crystal Crystal
Mar '18

We are 46W just off N. Main St.in Hackettstown, Crystal. We are back home but our power just went out for about 5 minutes about 20 minutes ago,. Needless to say that was scary as we have not been back home only a few hours now. This storm too is a bad one...

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Bound to happen... we're now out of power in Hackettstown.

Yeah, we had a 5-minute outage as well at the Hills of Indy. I thought that was it. But it came right back on! We are blessed! Thank you. Hope everyone else gets up quick!

IndyNeighbor
Mar '18

Bonv, still without power? We lost ours at 4:10 for about 2 minutes.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '18

Power still out on Rockport Road. Between Airport road to the Hackettstown line. The (one lane culvert since Friday.) not understanding what grid we are on . Think we have been forgotten.

RAS yes we git power back earlier!! Felt great to get a hot shower and be warm!

Mar '18

JCP&L at 6:15pm now reporting 113,000 customers out, way up from 29,150 this a.m.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

Mostly east and south of us. We added 1,500
In warren plus the ones we fixed. So we are still fixing.

Breeze supposed to pick up a liittle which may be good if if clears the weight. Snow is winding up.

Mar '18

no power in Liberty ... off Danville Mtn road

Mar '18

Bessie, we're still out. It started at 4:00 and has 11:30 pm as the restoration estimate.

HACKETTSTOWNPD: For information on the current power outages in town, click on the link below. nixle.us/9YRH7

Darlughh Darlughh
Mar '18

Power still out for us and our immediate neighbors here... halfway up Danville Mountain Road in Great Meadows. Friday will be one week with no power. Getting used to it now ....not in a particularly good way tho, lol.

Marvin Marvin
Mar '18

No power on Oak Lane in Columbia since early this afternoon. Just came back on yesterday morning and out again...ugh

Livelifeboldly... Livelifeboldly...
Mar '18

We just got our power back this afternoon and now we find out that the place we were staying just had a transformer blow and now they are without power. Guess we will be having house guests now. I hope so as we would like to pay them back for their kindness in taking us in a few days ago...

joyful joyful
Mar '18

4400 out, down from 6,500 but up from 3,400 this morning. Guys worked right through this; we are at least holding our own. Go guys go. Lets get some more up.

Mar '18

Our power just came up which is a great surprise!

4399. :-)

These guys really have kicked some transformer ass this evening. Take another 2k and I’ll say exceeded expectations based on original schedule.

Yet everyone is a major victory in this dust up. Thanks

Mar '18

Danville Mtn Rd still out. Hey, if you get power can you mention where you are located, in general terms.

Crystal Crystal
Mar '18

Here is an update of of 6:30pm

FROM JCP&L: For the safety of our workers, we have ceased work until the weather is more favorable except for life and limb emergencies. We are getting more outages from today’s snow storm. We will work to restore customers from the first storm before outages from today’s event except where safety dictates. Our current outage counts do not necessarily reflect the work done today and also reflect new outages.

We have been told older outages have priority

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

9:30 pm counts for NJ :
PSE&G 146,160
JCP&L 158,138
ACE 17,841
ROCKLAND 23,976

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

I can say one thing. The numbers JCP&L puts up are incorrect. They said they fixed my dad and his whole street. Yet none of them have power and the power line still lays in his neighbors front yard one end loose one tied to the transformer. They need to do a better job assessing before saying they restored power.

Grascal
Mar '18

We start the day with 4,400 out or 8.5%. We were down to 3,400 or less than 5%. Second storm hit the east and south so that’s where the new big numbers are and took us to 6,500 out so again thank you for working through that. Seemed like we brougjt a few hundred up after midnight although might just be a reporting thing.

Many folks have an 11:30 etr ad they seem to be prioritizng the initial storm outages, others seemingky from the first storm have no date OR have been hit a second time.

Good weather today with a breeze hopefully clearing not crashing trees. I hope for good things as the numbers arenot on our side but are now in a number of other counties.

So call and report outages again. Because today is the day, numbers are getting lost, and they will be shifting to the bugger numbers soon and thay’s not Warren county anymore.

Who’s out from the first storm still? I believe this is day 6, right? I believe jcpl has missed their 3rd etr estimate and has not recast the new etr for the first storm. Certainly could communicate better.

Mar '18

Day 7 here. I started this bloody post, and I'm so disgusted. This is worse than Sandy and the ice storm for us.

We are on the edge of town, so it's unacceptable. My two preschoolers ask me constantly if I am happy. And guess what I have to tell them? "No, not until the power goes on!"

Rockport Rockport
Mar '18

If you’re the allen road/rockport outage and its 7 days that’s beyond bogus. There’s no etr on that one so what’s up with prioritizing round 1 over round 2? Bs, thay’s what. If this is your outage, it was one of the first ones and in an area generally rock solid on the grid. If that’s the case, how can they mot have any etr?

We are at about 3,800 out, 3,400 gets us to yesterdays progress and imo, with a start point of 18,900; if we get to 1,800 out, I am guessing this last 10% might take a bit given the rest of the state’s disaster.

Mar '18

Low voltage on Mt. Rascal in Independence. Very dim lights, TV off. What does that mean? Will my heat run and do I have water (well water)?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Mar '18

We just ours back this morning after being out since Friday night. We’re on the mountain in LV on Flocktown. Looked like there were a dozen or so of us out here.

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

Parental.....that is very dangerous for your electronics!!!! I would shut off your main breaker, as that can ruin newer TVs computers....etc

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Thank you Darrin. That's kind of what I thought and was worried about.

Mar '18

We lost power again at 10:00 am.

@Rockport, I'm so sorry you've been out the entire time. Do you even have an ETA?

Has anyone had any luck speaking with Jcp&l lately? The automated voice said customer service reps has no information at this time regarding etr and hung up. Out since Friday on mt. Bethel. Thanks

Thanks, no ETR.
We have old pets and young kids, so we have to shelter in place. Family is too far away to commute back and forth.

Rockport Rockport
Mar '18

I think many of the etr’s have been erased and they are doing a reset based on round 2. If that's the case, they are getting ready to post a total etr for the county, prioritzrd against thise other counties now in worse shape, passaic is 80% out, we are 8% out. Last time it took 36 hours for the “global” etr.

A giant sucking sound fills the air.

Mar '18

Our power has been out continuously since last Friday morning on Mt. Bethel. This is ridiculous!

MtBethel MtBethel
Mar '18

We have been out since Friday 11am. I have contacted JCP&L and they are unable to provide a restoration time. Running generator is getting expensive.

JanesChapel
Mar '18

Power on mt bethel road. Hope it stays on!

I think they have “frozen” the board and are in reassessment mode. They just don’t want to tell us what a clusterxxxx it is.

The idea that they will prioritze older outages in front of newer is ridiculous based on the laws of physics I believe. I mean they have to view all the outages to be able to fix them efficiently and safely, right? But I get it that they want to be sure they are not leaving round 1 in a lurch, just think they have to recast Warren and then reset the etrs which apparently have vanished.

I think they have a failure to communicate.

Mar '18

My husband actually got a JCPL person on the phone this morning. He called from work and used the “don’t know account number” prompt. At the end of the conversation, the rep recommended calling the NJ Board of Public Utilities to lodge a complaint regarding the response of the storm.
NJ Board of Public Utilities. 800-624-0241

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

That and $2.00 dollars will get you a ride on the NYC Subway.

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '18

Just to clarify.. they are not putting the previous outages first. JCPL told me five minutes ago "we are sorry you'll just have to sit and wait.. we had to bump some of yesterdays outages up the list because they have more people out than the 20 by you.".. what!? So its all about how to make it look like they are dropping numbers faster by moving to the larger volume areas.. that's just wrong. Day 6 and no ETR in sight according to the rep...

Grascal
Mar '18

No power here on mt rascal, anyone have any idea why?

Shore time Shore time
Mar '18

I hope they ate getting more numbers in, this is terrible.

We’re approaching 3,400; that’s where we ended yesterday. 400 were brought on line in the past 7 hours.

The numbers are east and south and that’s where the improvement is.

We have no etr; looks like they all have been wiped.

Shameful; these people without power deserve to know what’s happening. This is when folks elected to public service can shine. Help is needed. The call center automon is not doing it.

Strangedanger Strangedanger
Mar '18

What JCP&L is saying (see last sentence, not that I believe them):
JCP&L spokesman Ron Morano said crews were still assessing the damage from the second big storm to pummel the region in less than a week.

"This is a restoration that can take up to several days and we'll know better when we do our assessment," Morena said Thursday morning. "We'll tell people estimated times of restoration as they become available."

The latest wave of outages hit even as about 25,000 JCP&L customer were already without power from last week's storm. Those customers will be given first priority for power restoration, Morano said.
- - - - - -

Above reported here:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/more_than_240k_without_power_and_it_could_be_days.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

In case anybody is wondering where the out of state crews are... PA. I drove out to check on my mothers lake house in the poconos (and see if they had power / were a viable escape plan). That place looks like a bomb went off. About 25% of the vehicles I passed on the road were in/out of state tree and line crews. From as far as Michigan and West Virginia. Even more problematic is most cell sites were down by this point, at one point I drove for 45 minutes with no cell service at all. Trees down everywhere although main roads were passable. About one in ten traffic lights I passed was functioning. Made me feel better about coming back home where at least I can run the furnace and charge the phone on the generator.

Brendan Brendan
Mar '18

Belated reply to Darrin - we have a 20kw generator (generac) which would get 10-14 days runtime estimated, if run at about 50% of capacity, with a 500 gal propane tank. You could get more runtime of course with a smaller generator, but we (ok, DH) wanted to be able to fully crank up the central AC and run all the major appliances without having to worry about the load, when we lose power in the heat of the summer.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Rockport by Allen got power around 6:30pm. They tugged on a tree branch by my house and all the houses nearby were lit up. That's what DH said. I'm not sure what their report will say, but that was too easy.

We offered pizza to the Toledo lineman, but he had just eaten and refused it.

The same trees had been trimmed at least 4 times in the past 5 years by us and the power company. Something is probably still wrong with the wires and/or connection, but I'll bet they'll never come and check them again...until we lose power again.

Hoping everyone else gets power ASAP!

Rockport Rockport
Mar '18

Idk about that runtime Rebecca.... That's 40-50 gallons per day....I would of thought you would get a lot more time from it. I guess this will be your best estimator! I think my parents neighbor has a 17kw with what I believe is 200 gallons of propane, and they were told 14 days runtime. In this situation the generator has been running for just about a week and they have only gone through 75 gallons according to the Guage on the tank.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Rebecka you would get more then 10-14 days on 500 gallons. Under full load that gen burns 22 a day. Keep in mind on that unit you want to swap the oil out about ever 100 hours of continuous use. It gets real dirty because it runs at 3600rpms. So call yours in for service now so it's all ready for the next one because it's not if, it's when.

PS I have the same unit just the 22kw version. Serviced mine today...

Mar '18

17kw generac is 2.5 to 3 gals an hour for 50/100% loads. Specs are online but thats where I came up with about 100 hours for 200 gals which seems to work for mine. Oil change is every two years; i do mine yearly or, like cbb, after a big one like this. Oil is cheap and I have burned one of these out although I believe it was the control board. They idle high to handle potential load. Like a 1,000 cc motorcycle set to idle at 50mph.

Mar '18

No power on Danville Mtn Rd ... new ETA Wednesday...

Mar '18

@CBB - it burns much more propane than than (I've recently learned). A little under 2gal (at 50% load) to up to 3.5 gal/hr., or 40-84gal/day. We aren't even running it near 50% load in the winter, though, so we could probably get 3 weeks out of a 500 gal. tank. In the summer with the A/C, though, possibly less than 10 days.

Not to worry, DH changes the oil himself every few days. It's his baby. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

SD, that is not correct. Unless you have a commercial unit which peaks at 1800rpms, you are running at 1800rpms at 50% and 3600rpms at 100%; there is no way that it will be 2.5 & 3 gallons.

Many people in SE Florida bought generators (usually connected to natural gas) after Hurricane Andrew in the 1990s where power was out for 1-3 months.

Outage totals for NJ as of Friday March 9 6:30 a.m.:
PSE&G 30,614
JCP&L 78,167
ACE 1,039
ROCKLAND 13,474

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

You’re right Gc, closer to 2.0 at 50%. At leadt yhat’s what the specs say. i think its an 992cc engine.

Mar '18

Closer to home, we are at our 3300 out in Warren putting us even with weds total eod stats.

They fixed over 50k households yesterday, Warren got about 3,500; it all went east or south, repair-wise. But ty for working through the storm.

New etr is 3/14 at 12:30pm which sort of tosses the fifo prioritization out the window. For the first storm, the last 10% number is about 1,900 which, and they never mention this, is when schedules get tossed since these fixes are tougher, manpower ramps down, and frankly, the spotlight is off.

3/14 is the fourth etr reset and even with the mulligan for round two, is totally unacceptable for Warren county. This is where our politicians can step up or be called to account next term. Our citizens need help; this is a public utility. Please help them.

Mar '18

This is getting ridiculous.. 7 days now and just got an update from JCP&L

"We expect to restore power to the majority of affected customers by 03/14/2018 11:30 PM

Grascal
Mar '18

Sorry, 11:30 not 12:30. Which is a funny end time since most nights, progress slows dramatically on this outage.

Mar '18

I'm still out too and get this kicker, my DPW came Tuesday to remove the tree from my road and accidentally cut my cable wire. So now I have no power, no phone, no TV and no internet. What makes it the worst is, there is no cell service on my street. I've been cut off from the world. I'm back at work today and can at least make some calls and stuff. JCP&L website says my power will be restored by Wednesday the 14. Are you kidding me? I'm supposed to be leaving for a trip on the 15th. If I don't have power, I'm going to have to cancel it. I can't go out of town with my house still running on generator power. Ugggh!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

So sorry, Calico...to hear this news. We are back home now but cannot imagine what you are going through right now. If you need anything...please let me know..

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Does JCPL see any value in pitching a 3/14 ETR for the entire region for Warren County? I mean we pretty much escaped round 2, it hit east and south ---- why do we have to suffer their ETR?

We don't have that many left to fix in Warren county; why not complete the task in Warren BEFORE you move on? Or at least set a pace that gets these 3,000 up in days, not a freakin week from now. With this the fourth schedule reset, our politicians should be jumping on this public utility and doing better for our citizens. At least they should demand accurate and comprehensive communications and reporting, not four schedule resets and a giant single unilateral state-wide total ETR stating one final date for over 100,000 outages. We can demand more, we know they can do better ----- they have in the past.

Down to 3,000 out, that's under 6% which I know doesn't matter diddly if you are out. Or 300 in the first hour today. However, based on past experience, as we get to the last 10% of the total outage, scheduling seems to fall by the wayside. That's 1,800 so we are closing in on the last 10%.

For politicians wondering who they support that have the most need for your help:
Blairstown and Franklin townships are still 20% out
Frelinghuysen and White - 15%
Hardwick - 23%
Hope is freaking 28% out still
Knowlton tops the list at 35%
Liberty, the usual queen of the pigs, is down to 13% ---- these Liberty pols should be hung if they don't have something good to say about all this. Liberty is a disaster zone on a summer thunder bumper. I can't imagine a higher priority for Liberty than power. I mean they are third-world up there.

The rest are below 10% out.

Numbers wise, since % don't matter to JCPL, it would be Blairstown and Knowlton both with over 500 locations still with no power. Hackettstown is still running at 300 or so out which is amazing given the town is usually more hardened than this.

Mar '18

Nobody has even been down my parents street in Roxbury to cut the down trees...let along fix the 4 houses with wires ripped off of them....and a broken pole......seems like it's going to be a while....

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

I saw a couple of trucks from Indiana headed up 31 north this morning. Maybe they'll get to a few HL homes. I hope!

maja2 maja2
Mar '18

I saw a full caravan of out of state trucks on 31 this morning, at least 30. I also saw about 20 yesterday heading west from Washington on 57 yesterday.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

I could just imagine how much our electric rate$ will ri$e after all thi$ Malarkey.

We's got a mini Puerto Rico Power Delema here in NJ. That's what happens when problems get shuffled around, and get band-aids to fix it.

Time to upgrade, and jump out of the 1950's power grid, and get modernized.

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '18

2 hours later and have another 1,000 up. That's 2,100 out now or less than 5%; they are moving ahead in Warren now at a fair clip.

1,800-1,900 will be the last 10% so hopefully you are not in the tail end of the outages. Franklin, Frelingwhatever and Hope had the largest percentage gains.

Go linemen go.

Mar '18

It's a start Phil: http://pix11.com/2018/03/08/nj-governor-orders-investigation-into-public-utilities-after-storm-leaves-thousands-in-the-dark/

But what about today? Tell us what you did to make it better? Did the SoE do anything?

Actually does anyone know; I just have not looked. It's one of those "be careful what you ask for" moments.

Mar '18

Long Valley needs attention. Folks without power for 1 day after storm #2 in neighboring towns are already up and running! Very frustrating to those in the dark for 7 days from storm #1 with an updated ETR of 3/14 - unacceptable to be without power for 2 weeks! Financially it's becoming a burden.

Why is JCP&L not pooling their resources and sending more crews to certain towns out over a week?? - seems priorities are non existent!

LV Working Mom LV Working Mom
Mar '18

4 hours later and down to 1,800. Last 10% left based on round 1. Seems like a good day so far.

I hope the rest come quickly or that they gibe you an etr before 3/14.

As the sound of generators fades in the evening cold, and bright earth-friendly lights once again dot the landscape, we bid farewell to our out of state brave and resilient linepersons, god speed and god keep you safe. And to your emergency management team we bid you ten fold the karma you handed us.

Mar '18

Interesting info....seems to me they dropped the ball on how many outages there really was and what they could handle.

I work with electricians that are subbed by JCP&L at times like this....they were on standby in paid motel rooms prior to the storm....and after the storm they were told to go home they were not needed......WHAT!?!?!

In the past few days we are starting to see linemen from other states.....why just now....why wait the week?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Folks,

In checking the map, there ARE a lot of etrs posted for before 3/14 now. That’s great we finally got some better committs than 3/14

If still out, check the map for possible updates.

Mar '18

One hour later, 500 more online; 1,300 more to go. It has heen a good day. Go linemen go.

Mar '18

Our power was restored at about 2:00 today by a great group of guys from Indiana. The whole fix took 21 minutes. Seriously? We had to wait a week for 21 minutes? Seems crazy. Ten minutes ago another crew came by from Georgia. I told them we were up and running. Call me crazy, but it seems to be a bad communications system over there at JCP&L.

Comcast just left, so my triple play is back up as well.

Anyway, I'm thankful to all of the hard working crews out there who are away from their homes and their families trying to get everyone back online.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

It’s calico time!

Turn up the heat, turn it up some more, crack a cold one, sit back, put your feet up, take a sip and......s i g h. Its over!

Mar '18

It’s definitley a case of underestimating how widespread the problem is. And don’t kid yourselves. Accountants at JCPL are making the calls on this. They could have had the power on in a day or two if they had enough workers and trucks from neighboring areas/states. But guess what? That costs money! And you all know how hard-up these power companies are...

Consigliere
Mar '18

I feel for those especially Calico. A friend in Rockland County, NY that got 18-30" had the National Guard assist. Mr. Do-Nothing Murphy should have mobilized the National Guard to assist where applicable.

Which neighborhoods around our area are still out?

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Quenby mountain / Hillcrest came up sometime today while I was out. After checking this morning and finding the 3/14 ETR I was getting a little worried. It’s interesting to see the differences in response here and from MetEd in PA. Especially since they are both FirstEnergy companies.

Brendan Brendan
Mar '18

Just curious, but how could the national guard have helped? To restore power???

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

Tree removal from roads.

We start the day with a little more than 1,000 out. Off hand, these are special for some reason. If out or if you know someone who is out, call jcpl to report outage. Things can get confused in these big ones and you are “the last man.” Don’t become forgotten.

Hopefully this ends, for Warren county, today,

Now we need to figure out how to comment on the investigation.

Mar '18

For Justintume. This is old news, but for people stranded in their homes, the Guard would have been able to get them out.

The Disaster Area proclamation should have been made a lot sooner than 5 days after the disaster.

Personally, we weren't trapped, but we have family that was trapped in Shohola with two small kids and no heat/water. After 2 days, her BFF trekked through impassable roads to get them and take them to Branchville, where another family member had a whole house generator.

There are many older folks without family that the Guard could have done wellness checks as well. Granted our township was offering to do limited checks, but that would have freed them up for other emergencies.

The Guard is here for us, we just need to sign paperwork to use them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/shelter_could_open_for_warren.amp

I'm still praying for those out, from both storms. Hoping everyone gets power today, not the 13th.

Rockport Rockport
Mar '18

Down to 860 or less than 2% out in Warren County. Go linemen go!

Allamuchy, Greenwich, Indy, Liberty, Lopatcong, Oxford, Phillipsburg, Pohatcong, all with less than 5 out each. That's got to be a first for Liberty and maybe JCPL did prioritize round 1 over round 2. Then again, Blairstown was over 90% out in round 1 and they still have a ways to go so maybe not.

Here's the trouble spots listed below. Again if you are in there, call and report again. Don't get forgotten. If you don't have an etr, try to break through the call center to get a human. 3/14 at 11.30pm (isn't that 3/15?) is unacceptable.

Blairstown township 225
Franklin 55
Frelinghuysen 94
H-town 27
Hardwick 84
Harmony 9
Hope 14
Knowlton 146
Mansfield 24 
Washington Borough 109
Washington Township 29
White 29

Mar '18

Under 300, under 1% out.

Jcpl asking you to call if not on.

Mar '18

Thanks for all of the updates Strangerdanger!

maja2 maja2
Mar '18

Ty. I know the website can be a pain and sometimes its hard to keep current when they erase the past to replace it with the next reality :-(

Now if we can figure out how to comment on the investgation

Mar '18

NJ Outage totals Saturday March 10, 9:45pm:
PSE&G 7,898
JCP&L 25,507
ACE 2
ROCKLAND 3,403

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

10am, 90 out, 5 or less everywhere except: Blairstown-30, Frelinghusen-19, and Mansfield-11 Hardwick-22. So that's 72 leaving 8 areas with onesies/twosies.

Before you say that's in the noise, step into their shoes. It ain't over yet folks and these folks have it bad. Sure, we are down to a thunder-bumper level, but it's wide spread, one or two at a time, and still a lot of downed crap laying about. And after this, we will need to go back and fix some of the fixes no doubt.

Fifth reset --- but a good one as I think the moved 3/14 to 3/12, still same bat time of 11.30pm. Many of our outages have earlier ETRs than that now.

Go linemen go --- I want to YELL mission accomplished....but not quite yet.

Mar '18

Well yes SD, now there is a lot of "work/house". Honestly, anyone at the bottom of the repair barrel needs to strongly consider a backup generator if it is within their budgets.

1:30pm, about 50 out --- Blairstown-19, Frelinghusen-6, and Mansfield-9 Hardwick-13. So that's 47, down from 72 this morning leaving 5 other areas with onesies/twosies, down from 8 areas this morning.

We are winning; there is light, heh-heh, at the end of hopefully this day ---- for all Warren County.

Again, if you are still out, call. Be sure you don't get let behind.

Mar '18

My parents in Morris county got power back late this afternoon

Darrin Darrin
Mar '18

Glad to hear it Darrin!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Calico, did your power come back on?

maja2 maja2
Mar '18

NJ outages Monday, March 12 9 a.m.:
PSE&G 1,743
JCP&L 4,865
ACE 0
ROCKLAND 926

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '18

maja - Yes, Friday afternoon.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Around 40 out this morning so brought 10 more up from 1pm yesterday so not a stellar afternoon; Blairstown-27 Hardwick-12 leaving 3 other areas, including H-twon with onesies/twosies, down from 5 yesterday afternoon.

As I noted earlier, JCPL has closure issues and now Hunterdon and Sussex are actually, for the first time since round 1, looking better than Warren. So again, please, if you are out, call. The next end point is today at 11.30pm. After that, they will claim victory, mission accomplished.

Mar '18

Less than 5 out. It is over.

Mar '18

it's not over for the ones who still don't have power.

Barb. B Barb. B
Mar '18

Yes, you are correct. For Warren county that is less than 5 people right now which will be approximately the same amount that will be out on any of the next 365 days......

Steady state is hardly ever exactly zero.

Now for the rest of the state, yes, there are some counties like Morris with 300 out still, a couple others with 50 I think ---- so hopefully they will be up today.

But yes, you are correct, and please call jcpl to report again if you or someone you know is still out. Could be lost given all the commotion during round 1 and 2 of these storms.

Mar '18

Anytime you experience a loss of power call immediately. Years ago we lost power and didn't call, assuming someone else did. A neighbor happened to call me and was very surprised since she had power. It turned out it was only us. A tree branch took down a wire from the pole on the road to our house. The wire was in our driveway. So always call.

Mar '18

Investigation underway, public is invited, Christie had a law on the floor since 2012 to penalize at $25K per day for bad restoration behavior, current fine is $100.

If attending, I suggest coming loaded for bear: just saying better maintenance probably is not specific enough. Liberty and Independence should have "teams" formed to say exactly what went wrong and what is needed.

Story: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2018/03/13/jcpl-power-outage-performance-fines-phil-murphy-investigation/417537002/

Mar '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.