New gourmet dessert shop

http://dalcourtsdesserts.com/about-us/ check the website out! A kid from centenary is opening his first store in the crossroads plaza on 517 it started off as a project.

Michael Michael
Feb '18

Does anyone know the grand opening date or hours if opened already? Congrats to the new business man and mom. Wish u much success and cant wait to taste!

Being myself Being myself
Feb '18

Looks like someplace I would love to visit. I was just discussing pudding with a friend at work, I love cooked pudding as opposed to the instant stuff that calls itself "pudding", LOL. My T Fine, chocolate almond, cooked pudding, heaven!

Bessie Bessie
Feb '18

S Ooo cool sure to bring my children

Proud liberal Proud liberal
Feb '18

Unsure of when they will open i think he just recently rented the store front

Michael Michael
Feb '18

Bessie - the My T Fine butterscotch is some tasty puddin' as well.

I look forward to the opening.

I wish them the best of luck but I'm wondering if they can make it just selling pudding?
Maybe they have plans to add to the menu at a later time?

happiest girl
Feb '18

Sounds great! Best of luck to them.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '18

Thank you for the info. Please post here the dates and I will sure check it out. We need those type of business here! Goodluck to him and his mom!

momOf2 momOf2
Feb '18

This is fabulous! Can't wait for it to open!

The owner messaged me and said sometime in May they will be opening!

Michael Michael
Feb '18

I spoke to his mom via fb msgr and she said it will not open til end of May beginning of June.

Angelina White Angelina White
Feb '18

I am a dessert addict and will probably try their puddings but in my honest opinion, they won’t survive if that is all they are selling.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Feb '18

I agree, sounds like something fun to try once or twice, but are people really going to make daily or even weekly visits? Also how much pudding would you really buy at one time?
It sounds like they need to add more items to the menu or reconsider having a storefront. Reminds me of the popcorn place that came and went rather quickly in Mansfield

That's what I said in my first post. I hope they sell something besides pudding. The price is also high for pudding -- Hayeks sells it for $3.99 lb. I'm worried they won't make it unless they lower the price or sell other things.

happiest girl
Feb '18

Seems like they've been successfully selling their product online and at various local shops for quite awhile now. Check out their FB page.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '18

I wish them good luck and success. However unless they broaden their menu they will be gone within a year.

I agree with jono. I'm a big pudding fan, but I don't see myself serving it to guests, nor going very often for myself. I wish them great success and hope I am totally wrong, but without expanding their menu, I have doubts.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Mar '18

Does anyone know when this place will open? There is no information about it on their website.

They are stil doing construction

Hello Hello
Jul '18

I see in the classified section that they are looking for help - I wish him the best of luck.

wbeleno wbeleno
Jul '18

That's awesome!!

Hi, everyone! This Justin Dalcourt, owner of Dalcourt's Desserts. Thank you very much for your kind words and interest in our dessert bar. We greatly appreciate it. Dalcourt's Desserts offers a variety of gourmet puddings, soft serve ice creams, milkshakes, muffins, cookies, and hot beverages. Our puddings and ice cream flavors are customizable with a create your own dessert bar option, which features over 20 selections of toppings and syrups.

We are currently under renovation, and we anticipate our opening date to be September 1st. Please let me know if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Dalcourt's Desserts Dalcourt's Desserts
Aug '18

Sounds awesome young man !! I will be a customer for sure!! Great job and best of luck !!

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Aug '18

Will you have any dairy free or sugar free selections?

Tiger Mom
Aug '18

Good luck and looking forward to having you in town!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '18

I had the same reaction --- not long for this world unless......unless...this is something special.

Then I saw the picture of the caramel pudding ------ looks like odds are that this is something very special. And yes, ---- sugar free always desired.

Hope the soft serve, cookies, muffins, etc. are special too but I am there for the pudding, count me in, calories be damned.

Anyone see Crème Brule? Have had it on four Continents, umpteen countries, always looking on the horizon for the next special one! I especially like the lighter ones, seem more difficult to get just right and leave you less than bloated and wanting more!

I would say "Best Luck," but I think you got this one nailed! Hope Mom needs the work.....:>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '18

Hi everyone, I would like to thank you all for your kind words and interest once again in Dalcourt's Desserts. We are truly excited to tell everyone that we have confirmed our opening day for Saturday, September 8th, 2018. We will be featuring many different types of puddings, soft serve ice cream, milkshakes along with many different dessert that are peanut free, sugar free and gluten free. We look forward to meeting everyone soon.

Best wishes,
Justin Dalcourt
Owner

Justin Dalcourt Justin Dalcourt
Aug '18

Best of luck in your endeavor! I know I'll be visiting as soon as I can make it there!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

Yay! Good luck on your opening! We'll be sure to stop in!

friendlyMcFriendly
Aug '18

Best of luck! Will definitely check your place out!!!!!! Milkshakes - yum!!!

Gluten free?!?!? I am so excited, somewhere I Can eat!

Pamela Pamela
Aug '18

Justin any vegan puddings??

dismom dismom
Aug '18

They are open! Stopped by today and found 2 delicious puddings ( pumpkin pie and double chocolate oreo) and well as many other desserts. They also have a frozen yogurt bar with fixins. Enjoy everyone!

sports fan sports fan
Sep '18

The family and I went this evening for dessert and everything we had was delicious. They were out of the chocolate Oreo pudding but the pumpkin pudding tasted just like pumpkin pie. It was so good. Our group also got a gluten free chocolate cake (it was rich and kinda fudgy), a chocolate brownie, a slice of key lime cake and a few servings of frozen yogurt. Lots of topping options for the yogurt. We were very impressed and will definitely be back.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '18

We stopped by and had a slice of key lime, a lava cake, pumpkin pudding, and frozen yogurt. Everything was delicious, and the owner was very gracious. Will return for sure!

Jessie
Sep '18

Any dairy-free options?

Jules Jules
Sep '18

Hi Jules, our soft serve ice cream is dairy free but does contain Sodium Caseinate ( a milk derivative). I hope this this answers your question.

Thanks
Dalcourt’s Desserts

Sep '18

My husband and I went out last night to our first (and DEFINITELY NOT our last!) visit to Dalcourt's. I had the most wonderful pumpkin pie pudding and my husband created a dessert all of his own. He put a round gluten free chocolate cake on the bottom of his ice cream cup and made an elaborate sundae on top! We both enjoyed our treats! I also love how the place is set up. Congratulations and wishing you the best of luck with your new business!! See you again soon!

Best. Day. Ever. Best. Day. Ever.
Sep '18

Thanks so much, Justin. That makes a huge difference so I appreciate you clearly explaining that. Best of luck to you!

Jules Jules
Sep '18

They have good deserts. No offence to them, but it's way to expensive for the quality. The pumpkin pie tasted delicious but felt right outta can. Same with the chocolate but outta the box. Good not great. Something you can do at home for next to nothing. Also got one of their lava cakes, I know that's not what they call them can't remember. The inside didn't hold the treat, it was the topper that was supposed to melt inward. To me didn't work. I wish them the best the people were nice. The product was just mediocre and not worth the price.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Sep '18

Went and was not impressed. All they had were puddings and those I can make.

Sport
Sep '18

I went to Dalcourt’s desserts last week and the service was excellent. The cake batter and Oreo puddings were amazing as were the lava cakes and gluten free chocolate cake. The environment is perfect for sitting down and enjoying a dessert with the kids and friends. I wish the owner and his family the best of luck. They are such sweet people. We will be back.

I wish them well and will visit this weekend. However, they need to diversify their dessert menu otherwise customers will get bored and visit less frequently. We will know more in 18 months to two years. Hopefully they are still open.

I also heard that they were nut free. This is a huge plus for those of us who have nut allergies in the family. Again, I *heard* they were nut free. I have not confirmed myself but hoping that is true.

JB400 JB400
Sep '18

Hi JB400! I am Justin the owner of Dalcourt's Desserts. I just wanted to let you know we are a nut free store. I personally have a nut allergy myself. We also carry gluten free desserts, sugar free desserts along with other desserts that do not have nuts. To our knowledge everything we carry is peanut free. But I cant be 100% that they have not come in contact with machines that peanuts were processed on. Hope this helps

Sep '18

Sweet people and delish desserts....they have a make your own sundae bar. Fun for the kids!

Htown Htown
Sep '18

Awesome place! Good quality and prices were great!

Momof6 Momof6
Oct '18

Re: New gourmet dessert shop

I don't remember what the name of this cake was, but it was amazing! Picked it up Saturday along with some vanilla cupcakes - enjoyed those as well - but this cake was terrific! Eventually I need to try the pudding!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Oct '18

We went in yesterday picked those slices, the mocha, cheese cake, lava cake and cupcakes. Certainly was delicious and I must say they are the nicest people.
I plan to be back in there. Well worth the visit.

Wagsinhack Wagsinhack
Oct '18

Thank you everyone for your kind words! All of us at Dalcourt's Desserts enjoy meeting and talking to all of you who come into our store. We are excited about our new dessert bar and so glad you enjoy it. Thanks again!

Oct '18

Ohhhh I have been there several times and absolutely loved everything each time. I am thrilled there is a dessert place like that. I pray they do well.

Hackettstown Hackettstown
Oct '18

Went today and really liked the atmosphere, really professional like a NYC place. The pumpkin spice pudding was fantastic! You will not be disappointed.

Liliindependace Liliindependace
Oct '18

Thank you everyone for coming to Dalcourt's Desserts! We appreciate all your kind comments! New desserts and flavors of puddings coming soon!

Oct '18

Does Dalcourt’s make/bake all of the non-pudding deserts sold at the store, too? Haven’t been there yet but heard some good things.

YeahRight YeahRight
Jan '19

I was there recently. They said the puddings are store made, but they get the desserts elsewhere. I got a cake and a pastry, and both were excellent. I am glad to have a nice dessert place in town!

I have been there a couple of times and enjoyed the Pudding very much!! I had the Birthday Cake and Butterscotch and they were delicious although expensive. A 16oz container was over $9.00

Eddie Eddie
Jan '19

Thank you for the info, TP!

YeahRight YeahRight
Jan '19

I've been recuperating the past few days and my husband bought me the mint chocolate cookie pudding from Dalcourt's and it's so good!

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Jan '19

Hi Everyone! I wanted to thank you all for the kind words and happy to see that everyone is enjoying what we do! We have a lot of big things coming in the spring like outside seating, along with new desserts and tartufo as well as our summer pudding flavors!

Thank you,

Justin Dalcourt

Jan '19

Best rice pudding I’ve ever had! The lady’s there are so nice!!! It is truly a wonderful place super clean!! Love it

Dadof3girls
Jan '19

I have been very happy with everything i've tried so far. The birthday cake pudding is sooooo good and the rice pudding is better than my grandmothers (and she was famous for hers...).

Laurel Laurel
Jan '19

Went in during the week and the ladies there were amazingly kind. Gave us a few freebies, which was a wonderful as well as appreciated gesture. The mint chocolate pudding was beyond amazing. My husband got the birthday cake one and that was scrumptious! The pastries are incredible as well. Beautiful clean interior. I will definitely get my goodies and sit at the beautiful retro furniture.

I cannot say enough positive about Dalcourt’s! We will be repeat customers. Unfortunate for our waist size but worth it!

I wish them lots of luck and hope they become a permanent fixture in our area!

Allamuchy Heather Allamuchy Heather
Jan '19

I finally stopped at Dalcourt's Desserts yesterday. I purchased rice pudding, chocolate cookie pudding, and some other desserts. The chocolate mousse cake was out of this world, my aunt loved the passion fruit, and the other pastries were amazing. The shop is so pretty, with their beautiful cases. Everything was so clean and lovely. Justin and his mother were so friendly and kind. I am definitely bringing my 14 yr old grandson, as he will stay with us while his parents are in Iceland. I know he will love it.. Everything was brilliant. So happy I finally stopped by, I plan on being a repeat customer.
What great shop to have in this area. Thank you for your kindness.

SusanC SusanC
Feb '19

I gave this place a try recently. The first thing that stood out to me was that it was very dark inside. When I pulled up it looked closed until I saw a small open sign in the window. Its cute, but a brighter atmosphere might be a bit more inviting, IMO
Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression from reading their initial adds that this was primarily a pudding place? I know that they added in other desserts and ice cream and such , but I thought that assorted flavors of pudding was their main game?
I was a bit shocked when I went and there was absolutely no pudding whatsoever. I asked and was told they only have (1) flavor of the week pudding and it was sold out on Wednesday.
There was some other assorted desserts so I chose a couple of different things. It was costly, but she did throw in a free one. We tested them all and were disappointed. I was surprised because I have heard good things and everything looked amazing. Then I read that they are not making the desserts.
I don't know....I guess I am just confused now. In my mind I was going to this amazing pudding place and I was going to order a bunch of different flavors from a family that has mastered the art of homemade pudding. I came home with a few overpriced desserts that they didn't make. Wish them the best, but probably won't return.

Sadly JRT I have to agree. We tried them back in December and were very disappointed when they only had a couple of flavors of pudding. We had heard radio advertisements on WRNJ and it sounded like they were a specialty pudding shop which attracted us. We got the rice pudding since it’s my mom’s favorite and it was the worst rice pudding we’ve ever had. We jokingly or called it “rice soup”... it was terribly watery and it did not even taste good. We threw it out.

We also got a variety of other desserts and they were only fair. The woman who helped us said she was the owner’s mom and although she was very nice, we did not get a good feel for the place. I would rather buy desserts from the source especially a place that specializes in something and does it impeccably.

Pudding is definitely hard to specialize in I would imagine but overall we found it very disappointing.

Jules Jules
Apr '19

Would like to see a dessert shop with more than just pudding

Bob smith
Apr '19

Bob Smith - have you even been in there? They have cake, pastries, pies, ice cream (make your own sundaes with all the fixings), mousse and yes, puddings.

Laurel Laurel
Apr '19

Bob...the shop has a lot more than pudding. Chocolate lava cakes were amazing who cares where they are made.

Amac
Apr '19

Said the same thing back in Sept but got roasted for it.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Apr '19

Yes Jules....same here. We threw most of it away.
Amac....Lava cakes were amazing??? Have you tried Dominoes lava cakes? Lol Trust me they were 100% better and that's from a chain:) To each their own I suppose, but ours were dried out with a chunk of what tasted like frosting out of a container in the middle.
Who cares where they are from? I do. If I am going to a "dessert shop" that I believe are desserts homemade by the people that opened said shop then that is what I expect.
I would rather not overspend on something that I have no clue where it came from or how long it has been sitting around. In that case I could have (and should have) just went across the street and got something off the shelf at Quick Check

We tried it once... wasn't too impressed... the other desserts weren't worth the money in my opinion. And when we tried it they had 3 pudding flavors. But I agree if it's supposed to be primarily pudding then that's what they should have.

I tried it with my mom and my sister back in February. We were also not very impressed. I dont think any of us finished what we ordered. The seats and tables were strange too. They were like plastic but they looked like metal. Very low to the floor. Looked like something that should be on an outside patio not inside. Also nothing was labeled or priced, it was all just thrown into the display so we had to sit there and ask, what's this? What's that one? How about this one?
Very frustrating...

Melissa Melissa
Apr '19

If you are going to be a "dessert" shop you had better have truly remarkable desserts. This is common sense, such a niche shop, to succeed, has to have a total focus on the product and every single thing that goes into it.
From how they are made, the ingredients, freshness and the presentation. An owner of such a shop has to have a passion for it and show that passion in everything they do. Their skills and knowledge around desserts should excel far beyond anything that is available at Shop-Rite, so that you build a repeat clientèle that refers your business to others looking for something special. As soon as you falter on any one of these you are on a path to ruin.

I wish them success and hope that they are reading this forum.

I’ve been there three times; a month after they first opened and the other two visits each about three months apart. Each time what I ordered was delicious. I can’t imagine any of it being so bad you couldn’t eat it. But if it was, how about calling them and asking for a replacement? How are they to know? I for one and happy they have branched out from just puddings.

I've been there & while the pudding was delicious, the cakes have been stale as well as some of the toppings for the ice cream. I think they should keep it simple & not try to offer so many different desserts. Also, nothing is homemade except the pudding. If I am going to a dessert shop, I am expecting homemade desserts. I think the issue is that there is no commercial kitchen on site which is why the desserts are not homemade at Dalcourt's.

When I go to the farm stand, I am pretty sure the bananas are not local. And remember the pecking order; homegrown (great), local (in our case, might mean NY or PA even), farm grown (not local), and other. Good chance, that ice cream and pie was not made there

Just saying.

That said, as long as they are forthright and forthcoming about it, buy what you like. That’s what I do at the farm stand where I rarely buy anything beyond local except Best’s winter tomatoes — the man can import a great Tom.

Stale is something else. Taste something, say something. If satisfied, you will be back. If not, they will not last.

Give them credit for trying this bold adventure. Selling deserts only is a tough go I bet and I am sure they are torn between the store and getting larger restaurant/store sales to generate business. Give them some slack and time as they balance variety with volume to keep a wider selection of fresh treats while thinning out low volume delicacies.

Just my guess.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.