Zane's Car Wash

Does anyone know what the status of Zane's Car Wash is? Is it for sale?

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Feb '18

(908) 852- 1932 is their phone number. The number forwards to a cell phone in order to leave a message. I recommend calling the source directly to get the most accurate response.

I used to utilize the car wash frequently and it's never open. When you call their number, no one answer. I called to find out if they are ever going to be open and the call went to voice mail but referenced a totally different number in it's voice mail message. Apparently it's no longer accurate.
But thanks for responding to my question anyway.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Feb '18

Has it been open since the heroin bust?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '18

did a crappy job when they were opened

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

Always thought the place was strange. Anybody that worked there never seemed to be motivated to please the customer. As if making money wasn't a priority. Even now, there are cars there at different times and different parking spaces, but the business is closed. The taxes alone should be motivation enough to make ends meet. It's a shame because that location could be golden for a car wash. As a senior woman, I am not excited about using the self serve on 57.

USAfirst USAfirst
Feb '18

it's never open, the owner frankly doesn't care
he'll make all his money back, if and when he feels
like selling the place.. Owner obviously isn't hurting
for the money - But it's a shame because he could be
making bank.

Source: I know this

happytownOG
Feb '18

Cars that seem to be parked there are often employees of Friendly's.

Places like that can be difficult to operate, in the winter. Even if it warms up, during the day, if there's a chance it's going to get below freezing at night, then the owner has to heat what is essentially a big garage or risk water freezing anywhere in the maze of water pipes and machinery. It also means the owner has to find and hire employees for a couple of warm days, but then they may not be needed again for weeks. Much of the time, it's simply not worth it, for the limited income it will bring in.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '18

You mean the limited CASH income it will bring in

Bug3
Feb '18

I agree JerseyWolf. I would think unless there is some sort of anti freeze solution added to the system it could be dicey in the cold months.They are several types used in commercial applications. With that said a neighbor owns a car wash and has always stated that the winter months are the busiest time of year. With all of the salt etc on the roads folks wash their vehicles more often. In the spring and summer months many more people choose to wash their own cars. I always wash my own cars except when I need to turn off my outdoor spigots in the very cold months.

How does the scrubadub car wash manage to stay open even when it's very cold?

Bug3
Feb '18

I never understood how that car wash survives the sub zero temps, also never understood people who would use that car wash in sub zero temps, but hey to each their own.

Personally, I hand wash but if I have to i'll take my cars to the byram car wash in a pinch. Hit the shop rite or take a nice drive either way it's not often but they do a decent job. They even have monthly membership unlimited washes if that works for some.

The self-service place has a much different system. No employees, except someone to check the place occasionally. And the water all comes from a central place and simply goes through hoses (and likely underground pipes) to each bay; that's a whole lot different than having it go through all of those different sprayers in different machines. Also, the water simply drains out through the floor, as opposed to covering the drive system used to pull a car through a building, which could break if it freezes.

In a nutshell, the self-service wash can continue making a profit.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '18

I went there for the last time when I paid for my wash and the young lady who took my money also washed the car with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth the entire time. She looked wrecked and I suspect she was in bad shape due to poor life choices. Very depressing to watch.

friendlyMcFriend friendlyMcFriend
Feb '18

@USAfirst The owner of the car wash allows employees and customers of Mama’s to use the parking lot! That is the explanation for the various cars parked there at any given time.

BusinessGuy1984
Feb '18

@BusinessGuy1984 Good to know. At least that makes sense. Still wish I could get my car washed there.

USAfirst USAfirst
Feb '18

I wish the owner would sell it, he does not care. its a drug hub just like friendlys. My son worked at the car wash last summer. It was hard to even get a hold of his boss to see if there was work & when he went something would always brake, so they would close early. Sadly I lost my son on 11/16/17 due to heroin laced with fentanyl:-( that place is bad news...

praying for peace praying for peace
Feb '18

As a former owner of a car wash, I'd like make a few comments related to some of the information already posted.
The suggestion a self-serve car wash is better able to sustain winter temperatures than an automatic is debatable.
Consider that a self-serve is open 24/7 and all facilities, wands, hoses, brushes, are exposed to cold, requiring special weep and heat systems to keep them from freezing. The lines leaving the machine room must be paced in a heavily insulated run box - an enclosure that goes from the machine room to the bays - with separate heated lines to maintain thermostatically controlled above freezing temperatures in the box. Most require a separate heat source for those lines in the box.
The concrete floors have heated lines in them to help prevent freezing and this is an enormous task as winds whipping through the bays cool the surface. The furnace used for this system is extremely large and costly to operate. The machine room must be insulated and heated and often cannot utilize systems already in place.

Heated lines and weep systems in run boxes are used for automatic touchless systems using automatic operating doors at each end.

Addressing the "profit" end of things, a self-serve car wash bay, under optimal conditions, can wash fifty to sixty cars in eight hours. Optimal being customers enter, wash and leave immediately. This is not reality as customers will wait until they are in the bays, go get change, wash, some will clean their custom wheels and whitewalls, before leaving, all reducing "optimal conditions". It is part of the process.

By comparison, a conveyor belt automatic car wash protecting for winter, need weep and heated systems to protect the conveyor assembly and another to protect the interior. Remember, a conveyor car wash closes at the end of the working day so is idle and the building closed, reducing heating expense substantially.
As for car washing capability, an conveyor automatic car wash is capable of washing more than 75 cars per hour equals 600 cars in eight hours. Because they are automatic, customers cannot hold up the wash process, an important differential in number of vehicles washed per hour.

Addressing the issue of employees, a self-service does not always have employees on site but the facilities must be regularly maintained. I believe Scrub-A-Dub has someone on site to maintain property and mechanical issues or close by every day and to facilitate movement on the busiest days.
A conveyor automatic can use as many employees as they want, usually at the end to wipe cars down upon exit. These employees are usually paid minimum wage plus tips. Adding it up at the end of a busy winters day, the conveyor belt car wash is substantially more profitable than a self serve.

Lone Star Lone Star
Mar '18

@Praying for peace

That is so sad. I’m sorry for your loss.

Grumpier oldgit Grumpier oldgit
Mar '18

Praying for peace, I am so sorry for your loss.

Aquarius Aquarius
Mar '18

Lone Star, very good write up and education on the reality of the business.

Dear "pray for peace"- terrible thing that happened to your son, we all support you.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Mar '18

Praying for peace; I cannot begin to imagine in my most wild thoughts, what it must be like to lose a child. My deepest sympathies go out to you and may you find the peace you seek for it must be powerful to remove the pain you feel. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Lone Star Lone Star
Mar '18

Friendly's is a drug hub?

Goeagles
Mar '18

I’m with you goeagles in the confusion on this. Friendlys is by no means a drug hub... I am sorry for your loss as well

Midgy
Jun '19

I believe that KFC is a drug hub but not Friendly's. Went into KFC the other day, pulled up to the drive in and was told it wasn't working so went in. There was no one in the place except a group of black guys or kids maybe college age (and I don't mean to be prejudice) standing around the counter being very loud. So loud I couldn't hear. The kid that took my order had a back pack on the whole time which I thought was odd. Then another guy comes out from the back wearing a dirty t shirt and shorts. He came out and was talking to the kids like he knew them all the while watching me out of the corner of his eye. There was a girl waiting in a van in the parking lot who came in and asked the kids how much longer they were going to be, went back to her van and drove away not waiting for anyone. I didn't feel safe and got out of there as fast as I could.

NY 56 NY 56
Jun '19

So sorry for your loss. Very concerned about the friendly’s comment. I know people who work there. Can someone elaborate?

Susan
Jun '19

Very sorry for your loss.

If you can buy drugs at Friendlies, then you can buy them anywhere.

Does anyone know if Zane's will ever open?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '19

Mamas bought Zane’s

Booster90 Booster90
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.