Let's lighten up - How about some cutlet sauces

Picatta, Marsala, Caesar, Parmesan. Any ideas?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

White wine, lemon juice, butter, capers, and artichokes. Yum

Dima. Dima.
Feb '18

Cutlets braised in white wine, then stir in a couple of table spoons of whipped cream and a table spoon of Dijon mustard.

Brandy reduction with shallots, mushrooms, and a touch of parsley on top.

Calvados, tarragon, sliced apples and cinnamon, over cutlets topped with melted Camembert.

Ginger fried with sesame seed oil, soy sauce, and a touch of rice wine vinegar. Sprinkle with chopped scallions.

How about a little Chicken Scampi?
Mmmm

Stymie Stymie
Feb '18

hmm: MONKEY GLAND SAUCE
Thankfully, there are no monkey parts in this tangy South African sauce. Instead, you’re getting a free-for-all of savory ingredients, including chutney, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, wine, ginger and garlic. It may sound weird, but South Africans know a thing or two about grilling, and this sauce is a classic in their country. Use it as a lively companion to steak, or as a burger topper.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

Keeping it simple.., Francaise, my son loves it!

Re: Let's lighten up - How about some cutlet sauces

I recently used Grace Hot Jamaican Jerk sauce on some chicken, lawd a merci it was insanely HOT!! one bite and hmmmm, two bites ohhh third bite OUCH this is starting to hurt.
then I read the label a few weeks later and the recipe calls for 2-3 teaspoons per pound of meat, I dumped half the jar on my chicken that day.

Highly recommended for hot pepper freaks.

CBGB - LOL, that is too funny. Glad that you survived the hurting part. But it does sound interesting and I'm going to try it, perhaps diluted with marinara, ricotta and parmesan.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

I like, upon occasion, Patak's Tikka Masala Curry Simmer Sauce.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '18

Grace’s used to have a jerk barbecue sauce which was wicked good. Now I want jerk chicken....

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '18

Spread a mixture of mayonnaise and parmesan on the cutlet. Sprinkle Panko breadcrumbs mixed with parsley, salt, pepper. Bake on 350* until breadcrumbs are golden. I like to put the cutlets on a rack on a cookie sheet so that the juices drip away, and the breadcrumbs can get slightly crusty.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Feb '18

This one is outstanding:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/dining/anchovies-elevate-a-pan-seared-chicken-dish.html

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '18

When your cutlet (schnitzel) is perfect like that at Black Forest Inn, a squeeze of lemon is all that's required.

And just to be clear... a cutlet is breaded and fried and would never be used to make most of the dishes mentioned (except the Parmesan). A thinly sliced piece of meat that ISN'T breaded and fried (typically dredged in flour and sauteed) is called scalloppine... which is what I would use to make piccata, etc.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

LVMom, I do something similar with chicken breasts. Parm, Pecorino Romano, Italian seasonings and mayo. Next time I make it I will try the Panko..it will probably come out better.

positive positive
Feb '18

Positive - I did a similar thing with flounder recently - mayo on the fish - then a mix of parm and seasoned panko - yummy

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

man oh man you know your kitchen iman.... thanks. I was afraid to ask what's a cutlet and don't do much breading. More now than I used to but still sparingly. I'm with you, and especially for fish. Matter of fact, I might skip the coating on the schnitzel :>)

Feb '18

America's Test Kitchen chicken piccata recipe is really good. Some prep but worth it!

htownguy htownguy
Feb '18

Tikka Massala is good. I also like Korma curry.

ianimal - The best part of both schnitzel and scaloppini is deglazing the pan with wine. I have found that even with breaded cutlets, a great sauce can be made if there is not too much butter and oil. Wine infused scrapings might have some breading, but that's OK, since it enhances the flavor of the piccata or marsala sauces. So let's call it breaded scaloppini with sauces. Not to forget white wine, lemon, capers and garlic for piccata, and marsalla wine, mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots and artichoke hearts for marsalla.

Stymie - Chicken picatta is very close to chicken scampi. Adding some hot sauce and horseradish to the sauce makes it even closer. Enjoy.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

Ah, wine, yes I like to deglaze with a little wine before, during and after every meal!

Feb '18

GC - "Calvados, tarragon, sliced apples and cinnamon, over cutlets topped with melted Camembert" Premier apple sauce for cutlets, with Calvados for deglazing. Pre-bake apples in honey until soft.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

strangerdanger - The "Julia Child" method of cooking, alias "Blitzing the Bird". ;-)

If you don't like garlic, scampi and picatta are going to be a world of difference.

The garlic will hold up to some nice peppers, including some sliced cherry peppers. That's the way I like mine as long as no one else is scared off by the heat. Some red bell's are what I would use for a tamer version.

The subtler lemon, butter, and wine of picatta can be overwhelmed by heat. I stay away from the horseradish as well. It might be a good mix with the capers under other circumstances - like capers, Dijon mustard, and horseradish. But for chicken and lemon I'd say no.

In defense of breaded cutlets: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Schnitzel-Holstein.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

Thanks for the clarification. I call everything cutlets. :)

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Feb '18

????

positive positive
Feb '18

What? To slice that kind of thin you'd need a deli meat slicer. No thanks. I stick with pounding it thin like everyone else.

I don't mind an egg, but I have to say no to anchovies.

If you have good knife skills, substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced 1/8 inch thick, for the veal. Everything else is the same as Classic Schnitzel Holstein, but I like to replace flour with Locateli Romano cheese. Chicken is so much more tender than veal. But definitely add a fried or poached egg or two, along with anchovies, capers, garlic and lemon sauce, and maybe some artichoke hearts, roasted carrots, fried romaine or escarole and calamati or stuffed green olives. Enjoy!

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

GC who are you responding to? Lol!

The mystery writer keeps appearing and than disappearing.

Thought it was me, but I don't drink this early..or maybe I should.

positive positive
Feb '18

GC - Slicing chicken or other meat very thin is a matter of practice, but well worth the learning curve. Bunch it up, then push down and with a very sharp serrated knife, cut off a thin layer, "feeling" your way through. After a few tries, you'll get the idea. For small pieces such as the tenderloin, "butterfly" them by cutting down to 1/8" from the end and then opening them out. You can butterfly an much as is necessary to match the thickness of the big cutlets.

Positive - You drink, I'll cook.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

Back again to sauces: Try baby or sliced carrots roasted in olive oil at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, roasted artichoke hearts and calamati olives for 10 minutes, with capers, anchovies, lemon zest and juice, and onions and garlic sauted tor 5 minutes in unsweetened butter. Deglaze all with wine and whatever scrapings from the cutlets pan. Makes a great sauce for all kinds of cutlets, with or without breading.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

positive - We both knew that already. I saw it happen to yours first, so I knew I was next. ;-)

GC and positive - Why do I try so hard to explain anything to you? Useless and unappreciated. I give up. ;-)

DannyC DannyC
Feb '18

I'm very happy to be educated. It has nothing to do with appreciation. It's just which version am I supposed to follow? You posted three conflicting variations and I don't know which one to believe after your reneged two of them. That's all.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.