Helping the Homeless

Helping the Homeless

In Warren County we have a large population of people that are homeless and live under the bridges in Belvidere, Phillipsburg, Hackettstown and towns along the river in both NJ & Pa. There are no homeless shelters in Warren County or Eastern Pa so it has been left to the non-profit organizations, churches and groups in our area to provide any help needed.
People helping People.

My project is simple and cost nothing but time. I am looking for help in making sleeping mats for the homeless to be distributed through Operation Chill Out. These are made from your plastic grocery bags. They are cut into loops, joined and rolled into a ball of plarn (plastic yarn) then crocheted into sleeping mats. No special skills needed, it takes many hands to make a mat. We not only keep these bags from our landfills we "Upcycle" them into something useful and much needed, sleeping mats for those living outdoors year round, our homeless population. All you need is plastic grocery bags, scissors and time.
People helping People.

If you think your school, church, club or group maybe interested in helping please contact me. I will be glad to come and explain and demonstrate how they are made. If you would like to join us we meet every Thursday night at the Belvidere United Methodist Church at 6:30 PM.

Kathie Luton
kathieluton@yahoo.com

Kathie Luton Kathie Luton
Jan '18

Can you provide instructions or directions for making the mats.

I get the idea but size and type of crochet stitch, hook size. Maybe a picture of what you have in mind.

Also, just to whom would they be distributed?

Not able to go to Belvidere at supper time.

Thanks

mom with kids mom with kids
Jan '18

I am unable to go on Thursdays because I work but I can certainly supply bags, or make the plarn! Just let me know where to drop it off!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Jan '18

How wonderful is this!
I found a really great youtube for making them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_WHW_tGSE

I don't think I have the patience to make the mat itself, but I could make the yarn.
The youtube even shows how you can connect one bag of yarn to another. So maybe those who don't have the time to make the actual mat can at least make the yarn.

happiest girl
Jan '18

Great cause thank you

Skippy Skippy
Jan '18

I would like to invite you to come to Earth Day Fair in the Park on April 21st in Belvidere NJ. I will be there showing you all the things we make with plarn (yarn made from plastic grocery bags) and demonstrating how we make the plarn from the plastic bags. We will be at Garret D Wall park, if you put 219 Hardwick St, Belvidere in your GPS you will find us. Hours are 10 to 3 and there is no admission. Hope to see you there !

Kathie Luton Kathie Luton
Mar '18

I don't see how giving a homeless person a mat so that they will be more comfortable sleeping under a bridge is helping them out..how about a nice hot meal instead

Bug3
Mar '18

Bug3, you'd be surprised how much warmth a single sheet of newspaper can provide when you're freezing. This is plastic. Plastic is an incubator. This is an exceptionally brilliant idea.

I can do the plarn, but can't commit to the mats. I'll do what I can and be in touch with the OP when I have some to donate!

Bug3 - how about you provide the meal and Kathie will provide the mat? Sounds like a win win.

"I don't see how giving a homeless person a mat so that they will be more comfortable sleeping under a bridge is helping them out..how about a nice hot meal instead"

How about a ticket to FL?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '18

Lol - agreed - I think you can put someone on Jet Blue for $69 to Miami

Skippy Skippy
Mar '18

Yes, I never understood why the homeless don't slowly make their way south. Much better off homeless in Miami or Houston than Boston or Chicago.

Kathie - It's a nice thing you are doing. Every little bit helps I'm sure.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Probably because they're malnourished and couldn't physically make the trip by foot.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

I really shouldn't be light about "there for the grace of God....." however.....yeah, I always wondered why not go South or why not rob someone; foods better in jail. Think the reason is, for one reason or another, folks like to live where they have always lived ---- even those without permanent residences. Whether tetched in the head or for sound-mind reasons, there it is and always has been.

It be FL for me, and if I can't sleep well there, it's jail!

At least that's what I say. Chances are you can find me under a Rt. 80 bridge.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '18

I spoke to some of them in Florida when Guleano cleaned them out of the city. They were not happy about it but they had no choice. Some are quite happy to be homeless, They survive some how. One knew where all the meals and showers were. I saw one interviewed one time that had a job with the city and lived in the street. To each his own.

Old Gent Old Gent
Mar '18

"Chances are you can find me under a Rt. 80 bridge".

Don't worry, if that happens Phil Murphy will take care of you.

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '18

Hi, I just moved to Brick New Jersey from Brooklyn New York. I know the need to help the poor and the homeless. I would love to start making these mats and I crochet scarves and whatnot all your long. Unfortunately I do not know where I can deliver items down here in Jersey. Any help would be greatly appreciated.,
Thank you Deborah Martin

Deborah Martin Deborah Martin
Nov '19

Contact Project Kind.

Jen does outreach many nights a week at Penn Station

465 W Main St, Rockaway, New Jersey 07866, United States

projectkind123@gmail.com

Weebs Weebs
Nov '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.