Adams Bagel And Pancake House Budd Lake

An existing thread is locked as it is old.

The owner was arrested charged with criminal sexual contact for groping three male teenage employees.

Bajram F. Leka, 58, of Blairstown, owner of Adam's Hot Bagels & Grill in Budd Lake, was charged Monday and remanded to the Morris County jail, court records state.

What a complete dirt bag.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/crime/morris-county/2018/01/23/budd-lake-bagel-store-owner-charged-groping-teen-employees/1057976001/

I Seen this today!! What a sicko! Isnt he the same guy that owns the adams bagel in jefferson on 15 by the diner??

Flower681 Flower681
Jan '18

same owner of both. I was just in there a few weeks ago.

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '18

There goes that business... I used to get breakfast sandwiches there when I worked in the ITC.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '18

He’s been arrested. No need to worry. You can have your bagels.

WomanUpSon WomanUpSon
Jan '18

I'm quite surprised that far more people are interested in ICE raids than the news that an actual pedophile is living and working in our area.

PPParade PPParade
Jan '18

PPPParade, pedophiles seem to be everywhere, sadly. I doubt there’s a neighborhood without one. They even try to get appointed to the Supreme Court.

WomanUpSon WomanUpSon
Jan '18

Went there today for breakfast not realizing this was the place. He wasn’t there. But i don’t think I’ll go back. Won’t support the owner of a business who has behavior like this. Terrible.

Whataworld
Feb '18

I actually went there recently to support everyone else that works there. Not sure if their business is down since this terrible incident, but I'd hate to see others lose their jobs if business does slide.

Route 46
Feb '18

The place either way has horrible servoce because of bad management with mediocre food. It wouldn't have lasted anyway.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Feb '18

Wouldn’t last? Isn’t this place always packed?

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '18

what??? great place for breakfast/lunch - attentive service - I've been there many times with no complaints - a lot of people are employed there and I hope they continue to have their jobs...........

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

I agree with 4CATMOM and Roywhite. We go there frequently and have always had good meals there. No fault of the employees what their boss has done...We will continue to frequent this restaurant.

joyful joyful
Feb '18

Wouldn't last??? It has been open for years and always crowded....

Terri P
Feb '18

I would certainly feel bad for people who may no longer have employment there if it were to close. However I feel worse for the innocent. young victims of the disgusting crimes he is charged with. I would never patronize that place knowing a pedophile is the owner and still benefiting from the operation.

I worked there for 2 days. He is a creeper. I should have known better upon the interview. Hope he gets what he deserves!!!!

Being myself Being myself
Feb '18

I hope someone else (family members) are able to run it if he stays in jail (or goes to jail after the Judge gets the case).

Good food, reasonable prices.

Feb '18

Why would you continue to give money to a pedophile? That's wrong on every level. I'm sorry for his employees but ultimately I am sure they receive pennies compared to what this lowlife gets. Shame on anyone who goes there.

From what I read, the business is being run by his son. Leka no longer has anything to do with the business. Why punish the son when he is innocent? Shame on anyone who feels that way.

JG1956 JG1956
Feb '18

The son may run it but who OWNS the business? In any event I will never step foot in there.

After what occurred there how can anyone possibly contribute to that business? Unless of course you approve of the owners actions.

No way No way
Feb '18

Guilt by association is a dangerous line of thinking...just saying...

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

I never said guilt by association. I believe that an owner is going to profit off of a business more than staff. In no way do I blame staff, nor do I blame his son. If he is truly one hundred percent out of receiving any profits from the business, then I don't see a problem.

Justintime welcome to the new America. Even if a person isn't guilty they are still guilty according to public perception.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '18

honestly don't see why reporters have to include irrelevant details in these articles. So what if he's the owner of the place? it has little to do with what the guy did. Hypothetical: It's like if some corporate employees go out for happy hour and forget to take off their ID from their waist and suddenly there's a barfight or whatever that they got mixed up in, some reporter will state the names of those arrested or questioned by police and then notice their badges and just happen to mention where they were employed. Even if those people were cleared as innocent bystanders that were wrongfully fingered as engaging in the fight, they now have a world of bad PR for the company they work for and they might lose their jobs just because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and generating bad PR for their employer who will err on the side of protecting their image over standing by their employees

Richard Richard
Feb '18

Richard - From how I understand the article, the incidents took place at Adam's Bagel. Why would they not mention it?

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '18

Did you not read the article? He’s accused of doing it to a couple of employees while they were working. I’d say that relevant information. He was the owner, at his business and allegedly doing it to his employees

Njlawyer Njlawyer
Feb '18

Exactly, Calico and Njlawyer.

Did you read the article Richard? If you did, then go do it again but this time slowly.....hopefully the light will come on for you.

countryside
Feb '18

He is not the owner of Adams bagels on 15, they are different owners.

Joshua Joshua
Feb '18

Same owners on rt 15 + rt. 46. I don't think the one in jefferson is there any longer, I believe that he sold it after he started the budd lake location. (I can be wrong but that's not what I was told).

Feb '18

Adams on 15 is still there. It was sold many years ago. There is no connection. I stop at the one on 15 while going on road trips

so many high and mighty people on this forums. the restaurant itself is irrelevant to the allegations other than it was the location of the crimes. think of it this way, you have a family to support and you get arrested for the same thing, of course you should be punished if found guilty but should your employer also be held accountable? what if you work at walmart? Are we all supposed to stop shopping there? that's ridiculous.

there are innocent people being hurt by the misguided bloodlust and rush to judgement. these are the waiters and dishwashers and anyone else employed at the business. if there are any reparations to be made, it is up to the defendant, the judge, and the victims...not the uninformed masses who read an article in the paper and feel fit to be judge and jury.

have some compassion people!

friendlyMcFriend friendlyMcFriend
Feb '18

"the restaurant itself is irrelevant to the allegations other than it was the location of the crimes."
Absolutely not the case in this instance. The person accused of the crime is the owner of the restaurant. He used his position of authority as the OWNER and supervisor to perpetrate the crime. As owner he is enriched from the operation of the business as the income derived from the operation of the restaurant is ultimately his. Therefore unless he relinquishes full and true ownership of the operation immediately and in no means benefits from its continued operation, he and the business should face consequences. The business was the vehicle and means he used to commit the crime. Therefore the punishment should be to either close the place or force a change in ownership.

Just as a drug dealer would have his car confiscated if used in committing a crime so should this place pay the price.

Greg
You sound so authoritative and heartless.

Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? And no it’s not like drug dealing at all. The govt. decides to confiscate property when appropriate. In this case we have a group of self righteous crows deciding they are fit to be judge jury and executioner.

I will pray for you to be more compassionate.

Grumpy oldgit Grumpy oldgit
Feb '18

"Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? "

We aren't in a court of law. We have a right to discuss this case, as I am sure you regularly discuss cases you read in the paper. And I'm sure you don't chastise yourself in those cases you discuss. Again, hypocrisy. And really, it's disturbing to think that if your kid were molested, you'd be siding with the perpetrator in the name of "innocent until proven guilty" or "compassion". Or would there be a different (higher) standard if it were YOUR kid? If so, that's hypocritical.

"And no it’s not like drug dealing at all."

Exactly. It's WORSE. Or do you think sexual molestation of minors is no big deal?

" In this case we have a group of self righteous crows deciding they are fit to be judge jury and executioner. "

Pot, kettle, black. You can be sure I'll be watching to make sure you don't discuss any other case in the news and passing judgment. If you do, I'll be sure to refer back to this statement of yours and point out your hypocrisy.

"I will pray for you to be more compassionate."

I'll pray for you to be less hypocritical, and for you to learn the gravity of molestation.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

To each his own Devilsfan.

I say punish the perp not everyone else. You say everyone’s guilty by association. C’est La Vie.

Btw, confiscation laws can and are abused (often a simple accusation is enough to confiscate, not a conviction), so they’re not something to hold in high regard either.

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

No, I don't and haven't said everybody is guilty by association. My problem is with those who try to tell others they cannot discuss a case. They use the ridiculous (and irrelevant) argument about being considered innocent before being proven guilty. That standard is for those in law enforcement and the courts. We are not in a court of law and we are not in a position to impose punishment. We are merely discussing the facts of a case as presented in a newspaper. And I doubt there is a person in this forum who has NOT weighed in with an opinion, whether it's this case or any other in the news.

As for confiscation laws, I'm not particularly a fan of the way the are imposed, but as long as they are the law, then they need to be imposed evenly, across the board. If the owner of Adams had been dealing drugs, his property would be confiscated. Why not for sexual molestation of minors, then?

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

Not sure the issue is discussing a case DevilsFan. We all have thoughts and opinions and that’s perfectly natural.

Rather, in my mind anyway, it’s the “I read an article and now know all there is to know” mentality that breeds hostility and negativity, claiming a certainty that cannot possibly be true unless one were directly involved. That may make us feel better yet is completely, 100% wrong.

Ever hear of the Innocence Project?
https://www.innocenceproject.org

Ever know anyone who lies? (Hint: look in a mirror, most people lie, again a natural human phenomenon)

So yeah, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, because any other way exposes innocent folks to irreparable harm. Sure, you will be “right” (if that kind of thing is important to you) much of the time, but not all.

Being judgemental (the real issue) imo is worse than being right. But thats just me.

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

Heartless? For sure. Authoritative? Nah just matter of fact is how I state it. In the case of a pedophile, sexual predictor I have absolutely no compassion whatsoever. I have zero tolerance for an individual who commits crimes like this involving children. Losing his business should be the least of his worries. Allegedly he committed the crimes and therefore any collateral damage created is a direct result of the crime. That is 100% on him. My view on punishment IF he is guilty of these crimes is quite barbaric as a matter of fact.He is fortunate we live in a civilized country.
The victims will never ever enjoy the same life as they did prior to encountering this predator. They will be forever changed in a negative manner. When it comes to this type of crime I do not subscribe to the happy thoughts and hummus will somehow make everything better or somehow lessen the damaging impact he created. Swift and the harshest possible punishment is in order. Again only if the person charged is found guilty of the crimes levied against him..

This of course is simply my opinion when discussing this type of crime.

The assets of drug dealers are seized because they were purchased with illegally obtained money, not because a crime was committed. It wouldn't apply to this case. However, that doesn't mean that the victims couldn't file a civil suit against this guy.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

“The assets of drug dealers are seized because they were purchased with illegally obtained money, not because a crime was committed.”

How can money be obtained illegallly if no crime was committed????

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

Hold on a second... why is the word molestation getting thrown out there? Massaging shoulders and backhanding someone in the balls is a stupid thing to do and inappropriate but hardly the same thing as actual sexual contact. I remember in a high school gym class a guy was trying to be funny and back handed me in the balls. What was I supposed to report him and say he fondled me? Maybe in this guy's country, since he is a foreigner, that is acceptable behavior. Maybe he thought it was funny. Not saying it's right and he should be held accountable, but lets not act like he was taking these guys in the back and having his way with them. Make the guy go to some kind of counseling, fine him, and make him do community service and move on... If you don't want to eat there anymore that is understandable. But to say a guy can't earn a living after getting charged with a crime is idiotic. The whole point of the criminal justice system is to rehabilitate someone so they can function normally again in society.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '18

He was charged with criminal sexual contact. I would think a different or lesser charge would have been given if warranted. Of course the penalties whatever they are, would and should only be enforced if he is found guilty, of the crime. I never stated differently. I maintain the most severe possible penalty including loss of his business, if that could happen, is the byproduct and the price one pays when convicted of that particular crime that took place at said business. There are thousands of examples of a person convicted of a crime associated with their profession or business that have paid that price.

I did state I will not patronize the place. In addition, in my opinion where there is smoke there is fire.

So Metsman, if some adult male touched your kids balls, whether with the back or front of his hand, you'd be okay with that?

It wouldn't be okay with me, and I'm glad it's not okay with the parents of these other minors.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

"Not sure the issue is discussing a case DevilsFan."

It absolutely is the issue, since that's exactly what we are doing here. It's ALL we are doing here. You are also here giving your opinion; if you are against the giving of an opinion, you shouldn't be here at all, discussing it in any way, shape or form.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

"Bag tag" is an age-old game played in locker rooms and frat houses everywhere. However, it's certainly not appropriate for the workplace or by an old man with teenaged boys.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

No DevilsFan, the issue is passing judgement when all you have are news reports. Thought I was clear about that, sorry...

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

"How can money be obtained illegallly if no crime was committed????"

The criminal act isn't the precursor for the seizure. If I can demonstrate that I purchased my house with money legally earned, the government can't take it just because I punched someone in the face. However, if I have no legal source of income and am living in a $500,000 house and get popped with 10 pounds of coke, chances are that they're going to seize the house.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

I understand how it works Ian, that’s why I made the comment I did. The seizure you just described indicates the funds were ill gotten only by an omission of evidence - 100% speculation. I still maintain that’s completely wrong because no proof is required and the taking winds up being at the whim of le.

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

Devilsfan where in my statement did I say it was ok? Maybe you should re-read what I said.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '18

"No DevilsFan, the issue is passing judgement when all you have are news reports. Thought I was clear about that, sorry..."

Are you actually claiming you NEVER discuss news reports? I find that extremely hard to believe. Like it or not, we have a RIGHT to speak about and give our opinion on news stories. Or do you want to curtail the press and our freedom of speech? No need to answer; I think you've made it clear that you do.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

In a criminal court, the onus of the evidence rests with government. When it comes to financial matters, the onus is on the defendant; i.e. if you can't prove that you came upon the money honestly the assumption is that you didn't. I'm not arguing the merits of civil forfeiture; I suspect my personal feelings are much in line with your own. I was just opining on why that legal aspect didn't apply to this case.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

“Are you actually claiming you NEVER discuss news reports?”

DevilsFan, not at all. Im not sure how else to convey my thoughts though, other than to ask you to reread my comments above...

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

Like I said Ian, it is what it is regarding the assumptive legal process. I just happen to disagree with it.

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

think everybody is getting way off track here. I have been to that restaurant many times and when I was told about the incident in January and could not believe that the owner, who I've met several times, was capable of such terrible accusations. I just logged on today to see if there was any new information involving a court date. The fact that some people are saying that he should lose his business before any criminal decisions have been made seems very extreme. I agree that he should be required to do counseling and not be allowed in the restaurant again if he is found guilty. My main concern is that the victims receive counseling for the simple fact that I don't want them to do the same thing to children when they reach adulthood.
Don't get me wrong I think any inappropriate touching makes my skin crawl and I would almost guarantee that these three children were not the first that he inappropriately touched but I would think that you should let the court system decide what the actual charge is and we can continue this discussion from that point.

Daverug Daverug
Apr '18

Just wondering what the status is on this guy?
We went there for the first time since the story broke and he was there running the show like usual.

Really??? Really???
May '18

Uh who cares... unless he's been tried and convicted and not allowed to be there, then why spend any energy on it... I'm sure we've all at some point been served food by a felon without knowing it.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

My ex lied to a judge. That's a felony . Happens every day, you may have committed one yourself this morning without even knowing. Enjoy your meal.

Hit girl Hit girl
May '18

“you may have committed one yourself this morning without even knowing. ”

Huh????

justintime justintime
May '18

JIT, you've never accidentally committed armed robbery at Wawa on your way into work in the morning?

ianimal ianimal
May '18

"Huh????"

LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Watching a little too much Kick@$$ I see Hit Girl. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
May '18

An "accidental felony" I like it. Accidental Felony sounds like the name of an awesome rock band! LOL

Actually Greg, it sounds like my marriage....

positive positive
May '18

Case was finally disposed... 180 days (suspended) and three years of probation with Megan's Law sex offender status. But, he still gets to work at the store that his son now owns (in name, anyway).

https://www.nj.com/morris/2020/07/bagel-store-owner-gets-probation-for-groping-teen-employees.html

ianimal ianimal
Jul '20

Um...wow.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '20

Wait, he gets to keep working there???? Are you kidding me??

I was verbally sexually harassed by a manager at a local restaurant chain when I was 17. He was immediately fired, banned from every location of the chain, and told he was not allowed within 500 feet of the restaurant where it occurred.

But sure, no jail time and going right back to work for full on groping sounds great too!!

Ugh.

Unbelievable. He should have been forced to get a face tattoo branding him for what he is.

Just imagine what he does to the bagels.....

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.