Is Piggy's Deli under new management?

I went in today and the place looks the same (and smells just as good, with the bbq counter), but the staff was completely different. Not one familiar face...

Just wondering.

SayNoToAbuse SayNoToAbuse
Jan '18

That's a good thing. Prior staff was very rude and nasty.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jan '18

And the prior staff loved to bash each other, encouraged by the owners, adding to a hateful environment.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '18

Agree %100, incredibly rude, haven't been back in years.

Denis Denis
Jan '18

I'm surprised by everyone's rude remarks. I have been going to Piggy's Deli for several years and have always found the food to be great. Also, the staff has ALWAYS been very pleasant and helpful. I always appreciate how friendly they are and they even remember my name.

real1 real1
Jan '18

I don't doubt the reports of rudeness, but I've never experienced it, and I've been going since they opened on the other side of Rt57.

I HAVE, however, experience incorrect orders in recent months... like a 50% rate of getting the order wrong (oil and vinegar instead of mayo, etc) The order we got sat was fine!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '18

real1 - I agree. I definitely would not classify the staff as rude - in fact, I'd say they're extra nice! And we go often, so I'm definitely surprised.

+1 on the nice staff comments. One of the main reasons I've consistently gone to Piggys is their service. I'm really suprised to hear otherwise and will continue to give them my business.

Fins2dleft
Jan '18

I always had pleasant experiences there, but yes, I’m the past few months there have been issues. Example: asked for a tuna salad sandwich and was asked what I meant by tuna salad. After I explained it was just like chicken salad only made with tuna, the next Thing he asked was what I meant by sandwich, I knew he’d get it wrong. Oy.

WomanUpSon WomanUpSon
Jan '18

I have been a sporadic customer of Piggy's going back to when they were in the location by the Starbucks. They have always been nice and courteous whenever I was there. I am also a pain in the ass customer as my wife is allergic to some things and also likes things in a certain way. They always listened to my preferences but I always found myself watching that they made things right as I am just that way LOL. The food is excellent and the service was good most of the time, Some had to be watched to make sure things went right but I have that issue in other places too.

I saw this post and can not believe what some are saying. I went there myself today as I have been a happy customer every single time and wanted to see for myself..and get some very yummy dinner :-)
The owners have not changed at all! Apart from some random new staff, which happens anywhere when some leave for college or whatever, everything is still the same.
The same amazing food! The same amazing staff who calls me by name and the same great service.
Please be careful when you start a rumor, especially for our local businesses. Go in and ask yourself next time. You will get the correct answer you are looking for and way faster.

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Jan '18

What rumor was started? A question was asked. A question is not a rumor. Be careful yourself when accusing someone of starting a rumor.

SayNoToAbuse SayNoToAbuse
Jan '18

This definitely had a rumour vibe to it.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '18

I'd take rude and nasty staff over the crumb at Adams Bagel in Budd Lake....

We've been loyal Piggy's customers since they were in the old location, across the street. Never a rude comment, never an incorrect order, never a bad sandwich.

D's 4
Jan '18

I go there daily.. I've Never had an issue
Best food,Courteous service
With a laugh here and there..No problems
Great Place

Chubby Chubby
Jan '18

Just got sandwiches from Piggy's and something has changed. The sandwiches are awful. I'm not sure what they changed but they are VERY dry.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '18

I have been a customer for years , quality product , good service, and very clean !
The same owners make sure everything operates smoothly ! Rumors hurt local business! A busy deli means fresh food , think about that !

All American All American
Apr '18

Doesn't sound like a rumor to me just sounds like someone saying how their meal was ive gotten some good things their and some not so good things it's just an opion .
Have a nice day!

Grimace Grimace
Apr '18

Hmm not always fresh... I have gotten stale bread on two different occasions and a crusted over macaroni salad. I haven't been back there in months.

Try Sub Shack. Dozens of fresh sandwiches, hot and cold, and home made salads. Even pickled eggs. The best! Consistent for 43 years.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '18

Messed up order order again yesterday... it's becoming a regular thing.

Apr '18

JRT, did you get charged extra for the crust on the mac salad?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

Just wanted to clarify: it was PIGGY'S that messed up my order again, not the Sub Shack.

Apr '18

Lol ianimal.....probably!

Re: Is Piggy's Deli under new management?

This is why I won't return to Piggy's. When they were across the street I used to stop by on a regular basis. Last time I was there about a year ago, this was the 12" Italian they gave me...

Calumus
Apr '18

That's bad how much did you pay for that?

Brian Z Brian Z
Apr '18

Same with me Calamus. 4 pieces salami, 3 very thin pieces hot ham. No other meat. Usually an Italian has another ham and more of it! Dried up provolone. Total rip off. Hard when you take it to go and find problem after drive home or to other location to eat. I am sad. Used to love them. They also have teens working, preparing orders. They were nice but a giant pony tail flopping all over is a turn off while doing food prep. Putting cole slaw in container with gloved hand was not good either. Tongs may help. Gloves should be changed quite a bit between tasks. A young man was doing many, touching surfaces with same gloves. Gloves could be dirtier than bare hands at that point. Roast beef used to be Boar's Head. We got what seemed to be homemade. That is fine but was a bit dry. If not new management then maybe lack of management and no training is the problem. They are losing customers.

I stopped going there when they weighed the meet for my Sub !! Sub Shack is the best !!

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Apr '18

I ordered an Italian hoagie a few weeks ago, get home, all excited, open it up and I’m like what??? Where is the lettuce, tomato, onion....just meat! I assume, since it was kids working, they need to be told specifically what you want on it.

Bently
Apr '18

I believe Piggys is concentrating too much on the BBQ end of their business and perhaps not paying enough attention to the sandwich/deli end.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Apr '18

Sides were good, Brisket platter was very good BUT the smoked sausage platter was a total disappointment, way too small and average quality.

getting too big, quality suffers then

Hello Hackettstown Life readers,

My name is James (Jamie) Nichols. My partner, Damian (Don) Warzecha, and I own Piggy's Deli. We have been the owners of Piggy's Deli since the doors were opened in February of 2008.

I was alerted to this post by a few regular customers this morning. I wanted to take the time to respond that we have not sold the deli or changed management. In fact we have had the same night manager for over 3 years. We have a large group of part-time staff that is very involved in high school sports and extracurricular activities that can sometimes limit their availability. Because of limited availability we often shuffle the part-time workers schedule to fill in the staffing needs as they arise. This may give some customers the feeling that we hired new staff, when in fact they are long time employees working a different shift. I hope this explains any owner and management issues you may have.

Some people have questioned whether we have changed the recipes for our sandwiches. We have not changed them in any way since we have opened our doors over 10 years ago. We still use only Boar's Head meat and cheeses. We still have our bread delivered daily from Giannella's Modern Bakery in Paterson, NJ. WGM is correct that we do cook our own roast beef. We source our roast beef, like all other cold cuts, from Boar's Head and roast them in the store daily. Yes, it would be easier to buy an already cooked roast beef from Boar's Head, but we feel that by seasoning them ourselves and cooking them onsite we offer a superior product.

WGM, I am sorry you had a roast beef sandwich that was dry. There are a number of reasons that that could have happened and I don't know the particular circumstances of your sandwich order so I can't be sure of why it did. The bottom line is if it happens again just let us know. We will fix it right away.

LittlePiglet, you are correct, we do weigh all of the meat that goes on our subs and sandwiches. We have done it that way since we opened and feel it is the right thing to do. We want to make sure the customer gets what they are paying for. Think about the “half gallons” of ice cream or the “pints” of OJ that are not half gallons or pints anymore.

(continued in next post)

James Nichols
Apr '18

Bently, we make every sandwich or sub to order. We do not charge extra for the most popular toppings of lettuce, tomato, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, oil/vinegar, mayo, or mustard. But they do have to be ordered because not everyone likes the same things on their subs or sandwiches. I am sorry that you did not get what you were expecting and to be honest our staff should have asked you if you wanted any toppings or dressings when you did not order any.

JeffersonRepub, sorry that your order hasn't been right the last few times you came in. One way we try and cut down on the mistakes is asking our staff to read the order back to the customer to make sure it was entered into our point of sale system correctly. The second is we ask our staff to label each sandwich to make sure you get your order and not someone else's. I don't know what was wrong with the orders in question so I can't be sure where the breakdown occurred but they are the most likely. Your earlier post states that you have been a loyal customer since we have opened and for that I thank you. Next time you stop in please mention that things have been wrong the last few times you came in. Don and I want to make things right for you and correct the problem with our staff.

I stated earlier we have been in business since February of 2008. In that time we have made our share of mistakes. I would like to wave a magic wand and say from this day forward there will never be another mistake at Piggy's Deli, but we all know that can't happen. The only thing I can promise is we will do our best not to make mistakes. If a mistake does happen we will correct it to the best of our ability as soon as possible.

It has been our privilege to be part of the community for over 10 years. We could not have done it without the support of so many. As a way of saying thank you and to celebrate being in business for 10 years we will be hosting a Free BBQ on May 16th (which is also National BBQ Day) from 5PM to 7PM in our parking lot. The Guests of Honor will be the First Responders in our Community. The Hackettstown and Mansfield PBA will be bringing the K9 unit, and the Mansfield Fire Department and EMS Squads will be on hand to showcase the latest in equipment and interact with the community. There is absolutely no cost to the community for the attending or eating at the BBQ. It is our way of saying thank you for the last 10 years. While the event is free to all that attend, we will be taking a collection to benefit the Police, Fire, and EMS. 100% of all money collected will be given to the First Responders.

Thanks again for your business. If you ever have a question regarding the services or products at Piggy’s please don’t hesitate to speak to or contact Don or Jamie. We can be reached at 908-813-3008 or info@piggyscatering.com

James Nichols
Apr '18

I have been a customer of Piggys for 8 years, and never had a problem with service or quality ! I have watched the owners develop there business into a well oiled machine , with pride! The world we live in today has enough things that are negative and offensive , let's all work together to prove great things can be done ! If Piggys makes a mistake, it's from trying to hard, not carelessness!

All American All American
Apr '18

There is a reason I've been going to Piggy's for over 10 years.Their food is great, the atmosphere is Great and the help has always been well aware of how i'd like my food prepared. My personal experience has been wonderful. I'm sure Don and Jamie would be happy to accommodate your complaints and needs if there ever comes a time.

Chubby Chubby
Apr '18

Thanks for the response. In my case roast beef could have been towards the end where it tends to be dry.
I did feel like meat was missing from the Italian as it was nothing like I had ever gotten there since 2008. Weighing is not a problem for me. I understand that. Seemed like if they weighed it, maybe they were wrong on the amounts and what meats. Thank you!

I have 3 kids I have went to piggys pry 10 times they truely never got the order correct. I'm not a picky person but if you get a ham and chesse remember the cheese or if I say no mayo don't put mayo on simple . We would order our food and my kids found it hilarious that they never could get order right . I thought it was clean and nice but will not go because of the service.

Tommy
Apr '18

Any time I have had an issue with anything not just at piggies but anywhere. I state my concern and it's usually addressed. Thank you Piggies for your willingness to address the issues above and your presence in the community.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '18

WGM, it’s not just you. I find their roast beef to be on the drier side and overall not as flavorful as other places that don’t cook in house. Maybe it’s the cooking procedure. Maybe it’s my tastebuds. The roast beef sub is my “go to” at sandwich shops and each time I’ve had one from Piggy’s over the last year it’s just been subpar.

btownguy btownguy
Apr '18

Great service and the best macaroni salad. Thank you for all you do to support our community.

Donna Walling Donna Walling
Apr '18

I found myself wishing for Piggy's BBQ items when I stopped into the new place on main street...the Brisket at Piggy's is so yummy!! The last sandwich I ordered was light on the mayo - and on the wrong bread - but they remade it as soon as I noticed that he was intending for that sandwich to be part of my order. The kid admitted he was new...and I think he's just not a mayo fan - maybe that's the common link to any dry sammies. :)

I think some of the kids are struggling to upsell on the menu - but they'll get the hang of it.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Apr '18

The last time I went to Piggy's I was very displeased, I would always buy our subs there, but of the past year I feel they are more on BBQ then the subs.I now go to Sub Shack for my subs. Where I should have been going all along

Piggy's catered our wedding in October 2014. People are still talking about how great the food was and the friendly staff. We had a wonderful party!

We are planning another family wedding for some time this summer. Jaimie I looked on line but could not find your packages to review.

Etta Nappi Etta Nappi
Mar '19

Do they still weigh the meat when making a Sub? That's cheap to me !! Gave up on that place a long time ago

Eddie Eddie
Mar '19

there cole slaw taste like they use battery acid in it.

I haven't been to Piggy's in years, but what's wrong with weighing the meat when making a sub? At least it is consistent. I, for one, would want to know that the sub I am buying today will be just as filling as the one I got last week, instead of it being a crapshoot each time.

I have not returned for over one year as when I went they were all out of barbecue chicken except for barbecue chicken wings which were not great. The place has potential, let me know when they get there...

I have been a customer of Piggys for at least 8 years, and never experience a problem! Boards head cold cuts, homemade salads and soup! They don't add to canned soup and call it fresh! I know Piggys gives to the community and other causes! There is always on owner on duty and every problem handled! If you want Generic cold cuts try the delis in town! If the delis are slow the products are not fresh and your paying full price for a sandwich made with cold cut ends! I feel Piggys is and extension of the family and a great value for the product they sell !

Robert Robert
Mar '19

Etta,

So nice to hear from you!

This is the link to our on-site BBQ Packages. http://www.piggysdeli.com/bbq---pig-roasts.html

To be honest I am not the best with computers so if that link doesn't work you can email me directly at jt.nichols@verizon.net

If I remember correctly we did a couple of different things at your wedding. Mini Hot Dog Bar with your homemade onion sauce? If you have any questions please send me an email or call me at the store 908-813-3008.

Thanks Again
Jamie

James Nichols
Mar '19

iJay,

Sorry that we ran out of BBQ chicken the night you came in. The smoking process is not a quick process, we smoke our whole chickens, chicken 1/4's, and chicken breasts for over 3 hours until they reach the correct internal temperature. So it is very possible that we ran out and did not have time to cook more the night you came in. We make every effort to have fresh chicken and ribs for our customers throughout the day. If you want to give us another try you can always call ahead for your order and we will have it ready for you. We have a lot of families that are too busy to cook in the spring time because of hectic sports or school activities so they order there dinner during the day and pick up the food at a predetermined time. It is a win-win for the customer as well as us. The customer is sure to get the food they want when they want it and we are able to gauge the amount of food to prepare.

Thanks for your feedback.
Jamie

James Nichols
Mar '19

mel,

I was surprised you didn't like our cole slaw. It was recently rated very high by the nice people at NJ.com. If you would like to give us another try stop in and see me or Don and I will gladly give you free pound of any of our home made salads to share with your family.

Here is what Peter Genovese at NJ.com had to say about it in his post "40 Dishes you need to eat around NJ in 2019"

#36. Cole slaw, Piggy's Deli, Mansfield
Sides are an important, if overlooked, part of the barbecue experience. Good ribs or brisket and bad potato salad or mac-and-cheese can sour any meal. Which bring us to the coleslaw at Piggy's: uber-creamy, tart/vinegary and pretty close to a home run.

Thanks for your feedback
Jamie

James Nichols
Mar '19

Best beans ever!

Michelle Michelle
Mar '19

Piggy's is always consistently excellent, no matter what! The BBQ and sides are outstanding. The subs and breakfast sandwiches are top notch too! A family owned "mom and pop" type place is one we should be supporting.

D's 4
Mar '19

Piggys is overpriced. I could get much better food down in Califon at Rambos, or literally any other general store.

Bigbadwolf Bigbadwolf
Mar '19

Hmmm. Well at least they post their prices...…..

I have not tried them, turned then down for catering just because ordering was difficult as in I could have anything I wanted, just needed to say it to get a price.... I was looking for a bit more guidance that I found elsewhere.....

Based on this recent exchange, I will be there soon. Ordering the slaw and whatever looks good to go with it. Sounds like well worth the try. Thanks for all the comments.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '19

I haven’t been in a few years last time I went the wings were like eating a sponge not to sound like I’m Gordon Ramsey

I thinks is truly messed up that this man had to come in this forum and defend his business, a local successful business because of other people’s OPINIONS. I’ve never had an unpleasant experience at this place. And if a sandwich is crappy one day oh well. I’m still eating the sandwich and keeping it moving. With the doors closing on a lot of local businesses in the area you would think we would have some time of support for the ones still standing. Careful what you wish for. A post like this can damage a business to the point where you’ll end up having a subway there instead. Hey James, you’re alright. Keep doing what you guys do. #supportlocalbusinesses

Robbie Robbie
Mar '19

Way to go Robbie I agree awesome food awesome people !!!!!!

MIkej MIkej
Mar '19

We just ordered lunch here at work and we're looking forward to it ...as always!

htownguy htownguy
Mar '19

I visit this site daily to read and see what is happening in my town. I take a lot of what I read with a grain of salt because I know everyone has their own opinion and view. I rarely post, but I have to say, Jamie and Don are great contributors to our community and their business is a huge asset. I eat there every weekend after my trip to Shoprite. The staff is friendly and courteous and I always get way more food than I can eat. We have had them cater several functions at our house and their prices have been great, and service greater. The last thing I want to worry about when having a gathering is the food being on time or meeting my expectations for what I would want to serve my guests. Jamie and Don have always exceeded expectations. And a reminder, during Sandy when so many lost their power they where serving people in their parking lot, if I remember right free of charge.

For those who are quick to judge, I agree with Robbie. They are a local business I will always support. It's hard to achieve 100% perfection, but Jamie's responses have shown that is his commitment to exactly that. Thank you for being a part of our community Piggy's.

neimad neimad
Mar '19

I dunno.

Based on this thread and the fact that the dissenters seemed more like sour grapes than true missteps, plus the fact the owner stepped up...….I tried them.

Twas great. Not as fatty as some, appreciated. Beans to die for, think I may skip the bbq and just get the beans next time :>). Cole Slaw lived up to it's rep. Chicken interesting --- I liked it. People nice, helpful, little hard to order but BBQ always is, so we had guidance.

They did run out of biscuits, oh the horror of it all, as they nicely explained you can have 4 plus 4 corn breads OR wait 10 minutes for the next batch. Oh, the horror of clear communications.....

Like Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back."

Mar '19

Food is always great at Piggy's. We are lucky to have them in our community. They have catered my company's summer picnic for 4 years in a row now because everyone raves about the food. If there is ever a mistake with an order you just speak up and it's taken care of. Been going to them since they opened and have only had one mistake with an order in all of that time.

Americans are overly obsessed with food. It's something you eat and get back to work. Instagram pictures of plates with food on them, TV shows on the best cupcakes- you would think the world would end if some chicken is a little dry. Most of it is unnecessary at best, and unhealthy at worst.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

Thank you for all the feedback!

So many kind words, from so many customers, both new and old.

Strangerdanger, Glad you gave us a shot and happier that you enjoyed it! Your take on us running out of biscuits is exactly how I handle things when I eat out. Thank you.
PS the beans are my favorite side dish too.

Lori, htownguy, Robbie, neimad, D's 4, MlkeJ, Michelle, and all the others who have said a kind word either on this forum or in person it was appreciated.

James Nichols
Mar '19

Enjoying homemade chicken salad today. Thanks to your bbq, it has a fantastic flavor.

Apr '19

Just picked up a smoked whole chicken -looks & smells wonderful. Can't wait to try it in a little bit.

Best breakfast and lunch
I eat there often.. Hush puppy's are Great

Chubby Chubby
Apr '19

I'm done with Piggy's. They publish coupons and then refuse them. Picked up 2 subs and gave them the coupon. He says it's not good and I say the coupon says $1 off any sub. He needs to check with manager... I say forget it and he says I can have a free chili tomorrow. Don't publish coupons if you are not going to accept them.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The young man at the register seemed confused about accepting multiple coupons at the same time and if the coupon applies to hot and cold subs. As you stated he was going to check with the manager.

To be clear the coupon applies to ANY sub, hot or cold. I hope this answers your question. If you have a moment you can always give me a call (908) 813-3008 or email me at jt.nichols@verizon.net to discuss it further.

James Nichols
Apr '19

I swear you people complain about everything. Let's think back to the first mistake we made as a new employee before we decide to destroy someone's business. You'll take the time to complain on a forum before taking an extra moment for the kid to get his manager just to make sure he's not messing up? Clearly that one dollar wasn't that important.

Homosapien Homosapien
Apr '19

Obviously, that customer is mad at the world! I eat in Piggys everyday , and the product and service are exceptional, if the help makes a mistake, it's from trying to hard not from carelessness!
Management will always make it right, remember when you were young , and learning , in a world where it is impossible to get good service be glad that there are people that still care! SMH !

Robert Robert
Apr '19

They make me what I ask for. Piggys is very accommodating. I've never had a bad meal there, ever..
The atmosphere is Friendy, and that's what I see.

Chubby Chubby
Apr '19

Come on. If they wanted to use the coupon, they would have got the manager....sounds like in a hurry, impatient, or confrontation anxiety....

Owner/mgr sounds customer focused. Always genteel with me (the two times I have gone) but initially got a newbie when I investigated a catering job. My take; it happens, move on. I could have asked for a mgr, but I was in a hurry, impatient, and had ready alternatives. Ty to HL reviews, I tried it and liked it.

Coupon rule number 1 for restaurant coupons including restaurant .com: verify before order. Duh....especially for restaurant.com coupons

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Apr '19

I know its crazy, but I always get the same thing............Pastrami Rubin. And its to die for.........I have tried other local renditions but they just don't measure up. I hope to try something else some day, but for now its my go to lunch.

Gerry Gerry
Apr '19

Heh the help. Didn't know we had to travel back in time to get Piggy's. Btw have to leave Piggy's at an ok rating. Sometimes it's amazing sometimes not so, guess it's the help.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Apr '19

I'm not a frequent customer of Piggy's but when I'm "craving" for my turkey sandwich on a hard roll with swiss cheese, extra onions, mayo, honey mustard and a dash of olive oil... I know where to go. YUMMY! Haven't been disappointed yet.

JustSaying
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.