Trucks on Rt80

A Hackettstown couple was killed yesterday on Rt80 by a dump truck that blew a tire and swerved into them. I travel rt80 everyday and can't help but notice that most truckers drive like complete a-holes. Some people will argue that truckers are professional drivers. I disagree for truckers in this area. I see them on the phone and swerving all over the place. I also think that state police should be cracking down on inspections on these rigs. Some I see clearly with bald tires and fenders being held on with zip ties. It's really pretty bad. What are your thoughts HL?

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '18

Agree 100%. I drive 78 and 80 daily. The majority of them are complete aholes.

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '18

Many drive too fast. Very sad story indeed getting killed on 80.

What a horrific tragedy - my condolences to the Rodriguez family.

The truck had to have been travelling fast to have crossed over the divider into the westbound lanes around exit 25. "The dump truck was traveling eastbound on I-80 when its tire blew and veered into the westbound lanes, Flynn said."

A lot of really bad drivers (truck & cars) out there and let's face it we don't nearly have enough distance between ourselves to avoid accidents although that wouldn't have made a difference in this case.

I think car drivers are bigger a-holes...Not in that accident..But in general

Bug3
Jan '18

I don't disagree about people in cars b/c they are pretty bad as well... cough Pennsylvania cough... I just don't think enough attention is being paid to poor trucking habits. Especially the dump trucks. Spilling crap all over the road and busting windshields. It seems every other day there is a dump truck rolled over someplace causing massive delays.

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '18

Pennsylvania drivers do suck. Not as bad as the people living in Panther Valley, but close.

Scottso Scottso
Jan '18

Over the last year or so I noticed that dump truck drivers are out of control. Heading east in the AM they dart between cars then exit off on the 287. How many have flipped especially near the rt 15 off ramp recently? Also starting to see a lot of tractor trailers riding in the left lane.

trick trick
Jan '18

Wow their daughter went to school with my son. Crazy...

Metsman Metsman
Jan '18

What terrible shame. Condolences to the family.

I drive 78 and 287 daily and can't even begin to tell you the unsafe driving I see.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Any hopes of the speed limit ever being lowered?

I see drivers - usually in small cars - often with NY plates chasing eachother back and forth through all lanes of traffic - afraid to even guess the speeds they move at - I stay far away from them

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

This almost happened to my gf and I a few years ago. A flatbed lost control going eastbound and ended up on the westbound side landing in a ditch on Rt 80. Another second or so later it would have hit us.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '18

A tragedy for sure and sympathies to the family. Was the dump truck from the Mt Hope quarry, wouldn't be surprised if it was, those trucks are junk and the drivers really suck. Keep far away from them if you can. When I worked in Parsippany some years back, one went out of control on 80 east in Denville and destroyed 8 cars, luckily no one was killed. Luckily I was a few minutes ahead at the time.

ExTownie
Jan '18

The problem isn’t just trucks or cars it’s the lack of common sense and respect that drivers of both don’t have anymore

Just goes to show... you can be careful, cautious, and abiding by all traffic rules and just be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seems like every day there is another fatal accident on Route 80. Feeling heartbroken for the children of these parents.

just the truth just the truth
Jan '18

There is a go fund me set up for the family. It's so heartbreaking! https://www.gofundme.com/qve6c-the-rodriguez-family

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '18

I can’t believe someone took the time to complain about the trucks and not take this opportunity to write something in support of this heartbroken family.

Just a mom Just a mom
Jan '18

Amen JUST A MOM! I was thinking the same thing.
Thank you JRSEMOM for posting the Go Fund Me information.
May both of them RIP and may their family find acceptance.
God Bless them all!

sapphirebluz sapphirebluz
Jan '18

I would hope there is a way to donate to their family without giving money over to GoFundMe's fees. Positively support those people, but give directly if at all possible.

Thank you "just a mom"

just fyi: GoFundMe Pricing & Support. While it's completely free to create a fundraising campaign, GoFundMe will deduct a 5% fee from each of your donations, and you'll also be charged a 2.9% + $0.30 fee from WePay for each payment you request.

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

It was an accident people. The truck blew a tire. http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2018/01/cops_id_2_people_killed_in_multi-vehicle_crash_on.html

Sully Sully
Jan '18

Maybe cause of the name of the thread, just a mom?

Scottso Scottso
Jan '18

People are always quick to blame truck drivers.. Mabey people should be educated as to the fact dump trucks do not stop as quickly as cars.. I have no idea how many times I have been cut off only to have the car turn a little ways up the road.. Rather than cracking down on people trying to earn a living. Mabey we should crack down on all the idiots who try to get in front of these trucks,tailgate them, and drive overly aggressive towards them...As a professional driver I take umbrage with its always the truckers fault....

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Jan '18

Really? This post is sickning. You comment about truck drivers and how crazy they drive but dont take time to express your condolences to this poor family that lost their mom and dad. How sad

Lovely271 Lovely271
Jan '18

Cool I'm glad I can make you sick with my words! I'm just posting what happened and trying to bring awareness and get thoughts from you crybabies about these crazy truckers I notice more and more everyday. Sorry Mr tone but never said its always the trucker but too many times do they get a pass because "they are the real professional drivers" . I think trucks should be limited to the slow lane and 55mph. Also, get them off the road during rush hours. And of course condolences to the family.

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '18

ONLY on HL can a tragic accident involving a death turn into a nasty thread SMH

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jan '18

I read the daughter’s Facebook post. I never met the family, don’t know anybody in the family and completely sobbed. My heart goes out to the children and family. May God bless you and give you strength. Thoughts, prayers and love to you all.
RIP Mr. & Mrs. Rodriguez

Hackmom Hackmom
Jan '18

And yes UPS drivers are professional and their equipment is probably well maintained. I'm talking about these fly by night dump trucks and trash haulers doing 80mph down rt80 spilling crap all along the way. I know the bigger companies have governors on there fleet.

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '18

I agree that the trucks need to slow down and require more frequent safety inspection -- however, a young girl and her brother lost their parents. I think we should focus on that. Let's leave all else aside.. send your thoughts, prayers... ask whoever you believe in to be with those children tonight.

just the truth just the truth
Jan '18

a lot of these dump trucks are run by small business's and do not maintain there vehicles to D.O.T. specifications. It is up to the driver to inspect his vehicle before he drives it and should not drive it if it does not meet those specifications. Bottom line is if that front tire had less than 5/32 of thread wear left, he is liable along with the owner.

hammer hammer
Jan '18

Unfortunately Hammer, if the driver refuses to not drive the vehicle, more than likely he won't have a job.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '18

I agree 100%, it is to easy for them to hire someone who will take that risk.

hammer hammer
Jan '18

Very sad to say the least.

My best friend went to high school with the woman and was friends with her. My other friend's sister was best friends with the woman in high school and still was up until this happened. She lived in Bergenfield at the time. She married and moved to Hackettstown.

The family and all her friends are devastated. Shocked. Please keep them in your prayers and thoughts. This truly is tragic.

countryside
Jan '18

Having lost someone I loved very much in a car accident, I always try to be very mindful of being stopped in traffic for this reason. A life could have just ended. I hate to think of people complaining about being held up in traffic when my sons dad was taking his last breaths on the side of the road. My son, who I was pregnant with at the time of his (my fiances) death, goes to school with the younger son. Peace and blessings to this family.

Birdie Birdie
Jan '18

Birdie, I'm sorry for your loss. I feel like same way. As frustrating as it is to be stuck in traffic, when you realize that someone was injured or worse, it definitely puts things in perspective. The same evening as the truck accident above, there was an accident on River Road in Mt. Olive. I was behind the fire engine as it made its way to the scene, and had to wait a bit until the police could let us through. The driver was already out of the car when we came upon it, but there was a lot of damage, and I hope whomever it was didn't suffer serious injuries.

My heart breaks for the Rodriguez family. I hope they find the strength to survive this horrible loss.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '18

Accidents, unfortunately happen & without knowing specifics, you can't place blame... as much as you'd like to. Right now, everyone should just offer whatever support they can to the family. They need alot of love & support! So put your own agendas aside, and give all the love you can. Rodriguez family, God is with you ❤

Driving the speed limit with 2 hands on the wheel is rare for most and would reduce accidents. Know what to do if your truck tire blows. https://youtu.be/8znCgvHMb-g

I wish the family and friends all of the peace they can find. Such a sad loss.

maja2 maja2
Jan '18

The loss of life at any time is bad

But do we not remember that when ever we get in a car or truck that there is always a chance that we may not come home . there are jmany things that you can do to try and stop that from happening keep your equipment in working order and your self in working order, a accident happens , or was onporpous we cant live in a world where there is a police officer in our pack pocket 24hrs a day so every one take care out there as you go about your day
be well every one besafe

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '18

Two young teens in our community lost both of their parents in a tragic accident and you use this thread as a bash against truck drivers? When no one has the true details on what happen? I donated to the family! Did You? And that driver of the truck(innocent till proven guilty) he is most likely a complete mess! Thus is why no charges have been brought against him! My 17 year old daughter had a blow out on Route 80 in the fast lane due to hitting a nail. I thank every lucky star that she is still with me! Accidents happen.
Prayers to The Rodriguez family. ❤

Realist Realist
Jan '18

Is this the Marleys Thanksgiving hosts?

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.