Hackettstown in the News 2018

Let's start with a "false public alarm":

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2018/01/he_claimed_he_was_robbed_at_gu.html#incart_river_index

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '18

We called that one right away. Is anyone really surprised that it was a lie?

Bessie Bessie
Jan '18

Bessie, you are right, I remember a lot of people calling that a fake robbery.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '18

Hey, the guy was married, drunk and about to have to explain losing all his money to his wife......I'd go with armed uber assault too.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '18

Now that is a winner!

What a shame for this person...

Press Release(1/11/18): SCAM Alert And Warrant Arrests.

On 1/10/18 at approx. 1:12PM the Hackettstown Police received a scam complaint from a 78yro Hackettstown resident. The resident stated he was using an online company called CORE IT to fix and clean the internal workings of his computer for nearly two years. The address of the company was located in Sharjah a city in the United Arab Emirates. On 1/9/18 the victim received a phone call from Travis Carter saying that their business license expired, and he needed to refund money for the services they performed on the victim’s computer. The representative claimed that because their bank is not located in America, they would need to deposit a certain amount of money in the victim’s bank account and he will take the difference in gift cards. The victim then purchased $7,500 in Target gift cards. The victim called the company and he checked his bank account online and saw they deposited $12,000 into his account. The victim gave the company the gift card numbers. The victim then received a phone call from the company on 1/10/18 and they said to give them another $2,000 in gift cards or they would withdraw money from the victim’s checking and savings accounts. The victim went to the bank to change accounts and he was told that no one deposited $12,000 into his original account. It appears his computer was hacked, and the victim was looking at a fake online bank statement.
This type of scam is the first to be reported to our department and we want to make the public aware of this scam.

Greg, I just read the story about that. Such a shame. I hope that when I'm 78, someone will be around to protect me against stuff like this.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/s/gbyw3/elderly-man-lost-7-5k-in-computer-scam-hackettstown-police

Tracy Tracy
Jan '18

That's awful to hear. Why can't these numbskulls get an actual job and stop preying on people?

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/man_pleads_guilty_to_conspiring_to_commit_extortio.html#incart_river_home

Computer Scams are real folks: I mean this one looks very professional, patient, and unfortunately thorough. They are getting very good at looking real. No more: "I is in Nigeria and ......"

I have a friend with a small WAH business who gets many jobs across the net. He is very computer savvy but got caught by one that looked, smelled, and even tasted like a business. Website, 1-800, you name it. The place looked real, he was very busy, and, of course, missed the fact that suddenly there was a rush need to expedite payment. Thing is he wrote the check..... Lesson learned: use credit cards whenever you can. Google everyone before you spend.

This place looked like a real business so he did not google. That would have turned up the potential scam. And then he wrote the check.

March 4th

I can never understand why anyone would think that a legitimate company or service provider would ask to be paid with GIFT CARDS. That would certainly raise red flags for me.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
March 4th

Interesting stories and having my own recent road rage encounter the danger they posed is ridiculous.

First link is related to the chase and the 2nd to the original story/expose.

https://www.cjr.org/united_states_project/nj-com-highway-chase-story.php

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/inside_njs_dirty_business_of_moving_the_dead.html

Ahh Joe Fantasia, I have been saying for years this guy is a scammer. I have had to deal with this unsavory character threw my work. Bounced several checks & still has not fully paid back monies owed, from years ago.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
March 18th

15 great N.J. food towns that no one knows about:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/03/njs_12_best_under-the-radar_dining_destinations.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
March 19th

Haha... Joe is a character. He thinks he's Babe Ruth in the town softball league.

Metsman Metsman
March 19th

Million dollar winner in our area!! Check your tickets!

http://www.njherald.com/20180322/1-million-lottery-ticket-sold-in-hackettstown#//

Store is not in Hackettstown. Love how Mansfield gets no recognition. JS!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
4 weeks ago

I swear EVERY TIME I drive by that store, I think to myself wouldn't it be nice if it won the lottery? I haven't been down that way in weeks, though. Darn.

Its like the Jets and Giants. Lol!

Congrats to the winner.

That store also sold $500,000 instant winner. I'm guessing a rub-off.

4 weeks ago

It is odd that often a location is reported erroneously. Last week I read about the fire at Bill's Service Center- located in Long Valley. Really? It's not that difficult to research the location and report accurately.

Oh no! There was a fire at Bill's?

Calico696 Calico696
4 weeks ago

Greg - Are you now discussing the difference between "Long Valley" and "Washington Township"? You do know Bill's is Washington Township, right? I definitely understand the differences for townships in Morris County that have Hackettstown mailing addresses. As well as Independence vs Mansfield, etc. But to me Long Valley that's in Washington Township is basically still correct.

Calico - there's a whole thread on it. ;-)

Yes! Long Valley = Washington Township in many minds. Check the welcome signs coming into the township, they are subtitled "Long Valley."

Aquarius Aquarius
4 weeks ago

Re: Hackettstown in the News 2018

Yes. The article stated Bill's Service Center in Long Valley. I know Bill's is located in Washington Township but never thought of it as Long Valley. I see Long Valley as in the screen shot- nowhere near the stretch on RT. 46. In fact the address for Bill's is 27 US-46, Hackettstown, NJ 07840. ( Washington Township). I always considered that area Washington Township, not Hackettstown and certainly not Long Valley. My point was if the author looked up the address it should have been reported as a Hackettstown service station.

I do correlate Long Valley as Washington Township as well.

Maybe they picked it up from the Washington Township Patch.

Oh, wait, it's called the Long Valley Patch. Google redirects the search.

Or maybe they picked it up on the Washington Township Topix forum.

Yeah - also called the Long Valley Topix forum.

When the town ran its own forum it was also called "Long Valley".

I've said it before. I'll say it again. This township (where I live), has an identity crisis. The borders of the unincorporated community of Long Valley are one thing; how the township chooses to identify/distinguish itself is another.

Aquarius Aquarius
4 weeks ago

I was out of town when the fire happened. Link?

My husband has had business dealings with Bill and his family for 20 years. Hoping everything turns out ok.

Calico696 Calico696
4 weeks ago

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/837992#t838033

Here is some info on Bill's

Thanks Greg.

Calico696 Calico696
4 weeks ago

Not all of Washington Twsp is in LV

3 weeks ago

Yes, Long Valley is part of Washington Twp (Morris).

Calico696 Calico696
3 weeks ago

"Long Valley" is a postal zip code wholly within Washington Twp.
There is also a "Schooley's Mountain" zip if you have a PO Box in the General Store.

Washington Township is the name for the whole town. It stretches from Chester on one side, Califon on another, Mount Olive from the northeast and, of course, Hackettstown.

The official name is “Washington Township”, but almost everyone refers to the whole place as Long Valley. So yes, places like Target or Bill’s are in Long Valley, as most people would refer to it.

My point being Bills and Target may be in Washington Twsp, but they are not in LV

3 weeks ago

Huh that's something. All my 27 years living here I never even remotely thought of Long Valley as anything thing other than the map I posted above. Washington Township is how I refer to the areas other than LV or Schooleys Mountain etc.

I guess because Long Valley is basically in the center of Washington Township , the two are synonymous to many folks. Except for me! LOL

There are 6 town zip codes serving Washington Twp ( Morris) but no zip code in the name of Washington Twp.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
3 weeks ago

Yes Greg it’s definitely a confusing situation. Believe me if my wife wasn’t a former Long Valley resident I would have no clue either. But apparently the Washington Township name just isn’t used in daily conversation there.

I live in College View. Is that Long Valley or Washington Twp. My mail says Hackettstown.

twentytwenty
3 weeks ago

Washington boro

Philliesman Philliesman
3 weeks ago

20-20. You are located in Hackettstown. But I'll bet you knew that! LOL.

Hackettstown student files discrimination complaint

http://www.njherald.com/20180316/hackettstown-student-files-discrimination-complaint#

Le Roi de Grimaces Le Roi de Grimaces
3 weeks ago

Is this the same issue as before? I don’t see what changed

Pot smoke sets off fire alarm in Centenary University dorm

As per WRNJ website, " A Centenary University Student is facing a drug charge after marijuana smoke set off the fire alarm in his dorm room Tuesday morning." Having the HFD called out in the middle of the night is a serious concern for them and public safety, but I could not stop thinking of a big blunt & cloud of smoke vis-à-vis a Cheech and Chong movie, Stay tuned, more of this to come after Gov. Murphy pushes through his agenda.

Beer bottles can be dangerous.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2018/04/man_charged_with_cutting_perso.html#incart_river_index

Calico696 Calico696
7 days ago

I guess more so when some fool consumes too much of what is contained in those bottles. LOL!

In a fight in an apartment with several people... hmm... sounds like an illegal home to me. I doubt the several people were children.

Metsman Metsman
7 days ago

"Beer bottles can be dangerous."

Nobody needs more than a six pack.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
7 days ago

The 100 block sure keeps cops busy.

justwondering justwondering
7 days ago

Metsman, I once had 20 people at a party in my apartment at Greenview... they didn't all live there.

ianimal ianimal
7 days ago

I hope police checked this guy's citizenship before letting him go.

BC if they really checked, then the illegal population here wouldn't be 6% of the state.

Metsman Metsman
7 days ago

Metsman, bad accusation to make

BusinessGuy1984
7 days ago

Yes and if business owners didn’t hire them, they wouldn’t come here.

And if citizens would only work for a couple of bucks an hour, business owners wouldn’t hire illegals, and the illegals wouldn’t come here...

Etc.

DevilsFan1 DevilsFan1
7 days ago

Businessguy1984, you really think all these Hispanic people riding bikes around and walking with their laundry are legal citizens? I worked at the Chester Shoprite in 1998. There had to be like 20 illegals working there. They openly admitted to it too. That was 20 years ago. The problem has to be much worse now.

Metsman Metsman
6 days ago

Hispanic, bike, laundry, illegal. Makes sense to me.

White guy, whinning about others stealing his cheese, crackers town life, racist.

Its good to assume

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
6 days ago

Yes, there are undocumented people all over the country. That doesn't make it OK for you to make assumptions about people SOLELY on their last names.

Stereotyping and bigotry much, Metsman??
Wonder what we'd think if we saw you riding by on a bike.....

4catmom 4catmom
6 days ago

Ok stay in your safe spaces... I forgot you're a racist when you point out the obvious...

Metsman Metsman
6 days ago

God forbid someone walks to the laundromat!! I’m just saying it’s poor to assume things without the proper knowledge, that is all. Have a nice day!

BusinessGuy1984
6 days ago

It’s not like it matters anyway. NJ will be the next California with Murphy in power and all the sanctuary state BS will go into effect. We’ll be wasting tax dollars protecting criminals like Kate Steinle’s killer who got deported half a dozen times and kept coming back. These people will vote which is what the democrats want. It’s happening. If illegals could get jobs at shoprite 20 years ago then they are voting too. Last time I checked you put your social security number on job applications. Someone is faking this info for them. It’s the same kind of situation as people that scam the government out of welfare checks. It’s like an episode of Shameless, where Frank Gallagher used his dead Aunt’s info to get her checks.

Metsman Metsman
6 days ago

"If illegals could get jobs at shoprite 20 years ago then they are voting too."

That's a head-scratcher. I'd call it a leap of logic, but that's one that not even the Evel one himself would have the cojones to attempt.

ianimal ianimal
6 days ago

California here??? That's gnarley, can't wait

stranger og

6 days ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.