Mansfield Theater/Cineopolis

12/31/17 Tried to view what movies will playing next weekend, and it appears they will be closed until Feb 8th. Does anyone know what's going on?

USAfirst USAfirst
Dec '17

Hopefully gutting the place and starting over. It's a dump compared to most theaters.

Maybe, just maybe, they realized that viewership was down and to address that & complaints here:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/823294#t823307

and on their own website, they decided to finally address the upgrades they likely should have made when they first bought the place from Bowtie cinemas.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '17

I see tickets available for 12/31 - 1/4, then 1/9 then 2/8. Not sure why it's closed for a few days and open one, then closed a month. But new seats, screens, and sound system would be a start. Although I doubt any of that would make me go more often as I am not into spending a fortune for most movies when I can watch them on my huge TV at home where the snacks are cheaper LOL.

It would take way longer than a month to renovate that dump .Maybe they got shut down for bedbug infestation again ?

realitycheek realitycheek
Dec '17

We can hope. Some of these big companies can do pretty decent size retro-fits in a month.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '17

It took over one month for AMC Rockaway to convert theater 9 into a Dolby Atmos theater with a different screen , sound , and electric reclining seats . With the poor sound isolation between theaters . relative age of carpet , seats , and screens maybe they redo 2 tops in a month , while reducing the number of theaters , and do the rest at night to mid-morning . But even that would be a stretch , better to close until summer movie season - early May or even June . Do it once , do it right .

realitycheek realitycheek
Dec '17

i've always seen them update their movie listings on monday mornings.
and i've also heard from 2 people in neighboring stores, that they want the former "buddy's" to enlarge and make improvements...but no one has heard any updates.

terry b terry b
Dec '17

They should expand into the space next door and make larger screen theaters that are AMC quality.

Metsman Metsman
Dec '17

They should , but will they ?

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '18

They are like the AMC theaters in Rockaway....the old ones

Bug3
Jan '18

I was just at cineopolis and they are not closing and not remodeling. They are waiting to find out what movies they are getting before they post them.

Totally agree with Scottso. Haven't gone to this theater in years. Regal in Phillipsburg is much nicer and has a rewards program.

Nature Nature
Jan '18

A look at Thursday's listing, shows the Succasunna theater with the same odd time and date listings. Was planning a visit on Tues, but the post on bed bugs really shook me. Is that true??

USAfirst USAfirst
Jan '18

Have been there with friends twice recently - no problems - comfortable seats - good quality picture and sound -- saw 3 billboards - and lady bird - no complaints

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

The theater is understaffed.
Went yesterday and when the movie didn't start I told the staff and was told I have to wait due to the fact she was selling concessions and tickets to other customers. Another man went out later and was told the same thing.
All told , it was 20 minutes before the movie started.

Go to Succasunna, its much better cleaner and friendlier. They also don't do a TSA like bag check because god for bid you have piece of candy.

Lt. Hawk Lt. Hawk
Mar '18

That theater is never busy, so of course they won't staff it properly. They should just gut it and expand into the space next door and make better screens and seating. I'd rather drive to Rockaway than see a movie there.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

i get that they severely frown upon outside food at theaters because they really make their money on the concessions but to go so far as to inspect your coat/purse to check if you're smuggling in outside candy is a little extreme.

Disappointing that they haven’t done anything to renovate and improve the place to match what they offer in other locations.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Mar '18

Just pack snacks in bags and put them on your person. Thank a only works when you’re wearing a coat:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

I remember when it was busy, especially on weekends. What do you think happened? Just simply fewer people going to see movies? Netflix & On Demand taking a big chunk?

Most movies suck nowadays? LOL

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '18

Yup. All of the above. With so many ways to view movies like Netflix, HBO, etc.... Plus the fact everyone has huge TV screens at home, why leave the house to pay too much money for a theater full of people who won't stop talking or get off their phones?
That and the movies this past year were (with a few exceptions) terrible. It's like Hollywood has hit "peak idea" and has no fresh stuff...just remaking older films or coming out with sequels and every conceivable superhero they can dig up. Sad.

That said, l will go to see "Isle of Dogs".
Any time Wes Anderson comes out with a film is a cause for celebration.

Eperot Eperot
Mar '18

Can’t wait for that one also^

Sometimes there is a movie we just want to see at the movies but most of the time we’ll just fork over the $5.99 for an OnDemand movie since that’s a heck of a lot cheaper than 3 tix and popcorn, because, we have to have popcorn.

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '18

Do they really check your bags?? I don't understand why they stopped advertising on the board outside........too lazy to do it? That was a visual reminder of what was there and we honestly went spur of the moment that way. Calling or looking online for what is playing isn't going to happen with us anyway.

Worried Worried
Mar '18

^ Movies are now displayed again on the board.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Mar '18

Ya know, it's funny. I wouldn't mind paying more for a movie, but the floors are still sticky, most often, the places still look like a dump, and the seats are still uncomfortable. Soooo, not interested. lol

Lenny Lenny
Mar '18

This place is a true fire hazard!
The last time we were there, the guide seating handlebars were about 2 feet or less feet from where we were seated...

If the place ever has a fire, we would be trampled and left to burn.

AJMS -- not sure what you mean -- but if you really think the building is not up to code you should notify the proper authority about this.

happiest girl
Mar '18

Ya, they actually did check my bag one time. I was really shocked. I had a bottle of water, they made me take it outside. I guess that was so I could pay $3-4.00 for a bottle at their concession.

I'd tell them to piss off. What right do they have to go in your purse....

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

@ Metsman they have every right to inspect any bag coming into their building. It is posted. Just as they search bags going into Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, Great Adventure and Dorney Park. It all started after the shootings in Aurora.

irishresq irishresq
Mar '18

Metsman, have you gone to any sporting event, concert or amusement park in the last 15 years? Bag checks are everywhere.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

Sorry but that's nonsense. Especially at a theater where you have an average of 10 people in a movie. What's next a bag checker at the entrance of Shoprite...

Ianimal, You're comparing apples to oranges. Those places have thousands of people.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

I've never seen anyone check bags at AMC. They're just doing it at Cinepolis because they don't make any money there.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

They check the bags at the Regal in Phillipsburg and we have had our bags checked at the AMC in Rockaway

irishresq irishresq
Mar '18

The only thing the number of people in attendance changes is the number of people you need checking bags. The "threat" is exactly the same. People try to smuggle alcohol into movies just like they do sporting events. I don't think Shoprite has to worry about that. They would be more concerned about checking bags on the way out...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

irishresq then I guess I need to teach you how to properly smuggle food and drink in. Pockets are the way to go... Works every time.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

ianimal by threat I assume you mean gun. A busy day at Shoprite will produce more casualties than the busiest day at Cinepolis.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

Re: Mansfield Theater/Cineopolis

Went to the movies this morning. When we walked in the theater the smell was terrible. We went to go sit down and realized there was mold all over the seats.
When we told Management the response was, “yes we will clean it and aren’t overly concerned.” Absolutely disgusting!

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Sep '18

Yea um... I would call the health department. That is ridiculous...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '18

Worst theater on the planet. I would never go there again. Never thought I'd miss an AMC theater.

Call the Warren county board of health and report this.

Harris Harris
Sep '18

oh wow. It's sure gone downhill....

Sep '18

Schools are closed for mold. With kids goingt to the movies the theater should also be closed by twp or county until the problem is fixed.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '18

Should definitely contact the Warren County Health Department.

(908) 475-7960

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '18

Thank you for that number. Placed a call with them. Hopefully they close it down and fix the problem.

Sep '18

Don't think that's the real problem. The real problem is figuring out how to get a viable movie franchise in there. Either we can't support one with our attendance or we keep getting people cutting corners for extra bucks.

I stopped going because of the quality. Worth travelling the extra miles to avoid the problems.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '18

That's mold? Gosh, it looks like someone ate a dozen powdered donuts and wiped their hands and face all over the seats. Good lord, that's horrific. So, did you stay for the movie?

They are currently renovating in order to get rid of the problem.

NJMom
Sep '18

GOOD to hear they're renovating! I love having a theater in town. But it's not something that should stay "all original"... It was pretty bad last time I was there, smelled mildewy, and it's been almost a year bc I was so put off... oh and movies have sucked lately.

somechik somechik
Sep '18

Especially The Last Jedi.....

Metsman Metsman
Sep '18

Strangerdanger- I agree. A great place to see a movie in town would be awesome. I do hope someone else comes in and takes over.
MYD- No way we didn’t stay for the movie. Could barely breath in there let alone sit in those nasty seats.
We told the one employee before seeing the manager and he said..”oh yeah that’s all over theater 14 as wel,l we just don’t let people in that one.” Crazy!!!

Sep '18

Alot of rain this year for a flat roof building, maybe they got water in there on the seats

I heard from management there that they are going to do a massive remodel within the next 6 months....hope it's true!

Mindfulness Mindfulness
Sep '18

Mold ? Now Larry , his brother Darryl , and his other brother Darryl won't be able stay away from that theater ! I guess shutting off the AC in theaters not being used during a humid rainy summer isn't a good idea ? That theater should follow the moldel ...err I mean model of Cinemark Stroud Mall . Cut the theater count down to ten so they can show movies at an acceptable volume (LOUDER) and increase screen size , leg room , and eliminate carpet/ventilation from the standards(threadbare carpets/malfunctioning noisy AC) that existed in Atlantic City at the Boardwalk Convention Hall during the 1964 Democratic Convention. Probably won't happen , but AMC Rockaway , Cinemark Stroud Mall , and even Cinecrapolis Succasunna and Regal Pohat are within reasonable driving distances for the half dozen or so movies worth seeing in a theater each year .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '18

I heard they will close in the next 6 months or so..if they make it that long

Bug3
Sep '18

Tried arranging a birthday party there last year.. Left message after message.. No return call.. When i finally did get someone on the phone they were extremely rude.. Wouldn't spend one penny there..

Samiam Samiam
Sep '18

Have the conditions of the theater improved? Mold and smell gone? Would like to know before I go.

Tim01 Tim01
Oct '18

Even if the mold is gone who cares. The theaters suck.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

Agree take your money and see whatever elsewhere. It isn't like that theater is less money to see the same movie. I'm so used to taking my money outside of our town.

I think it's actually slightly more to see a movie there than at AMC. That is a joke...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

I recently went to the Succasunna Cineopolis & that was a nice theatre.

AMC Rockaway is our go to theater
and if you can, Tuesday is discount day

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Recent visit Staff was so rude. Theatres are very dirty. Half the seats are ALWAYS broken with caution tape around them. AMC isn't a far drive. Or right to ledgewood. Anywhere but hackettstown and that's a shame but we will not go back there again.

Allamuchy2018 Allamuchy2018
Oct '18

I went today. Theater had a slight musty odor that was tolerable. 3 random seats mangled and broken all wrapped with yellow caution tape. How does this happen! More importantly why are they not immediately fixed! Sad condition. Sadly not what it used to be.

Cassie Cassie
Oct '18

I imagine it's happening because the place is going broke. The owner probably dumped too much money into the place and is tied to a lease, but it's not making enough profit, so now it's a matter of going bankrupt or slowly trying to turn the place around. It's the same thing you have seen with many other businesses, around town. And then suddenly the place is vacant, and somebody starts a post about "Did such-and-such close?" or "What's going to open in place of such-and-such?"

Personally, I'm guessing that somebody invested a lot, in that theater, expected it to be really popular and make a lot of money. But then Netflix happened. . . .

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '18

JW - it's owned by a decent size corporation.

Oct '18

Well this inspired me to find somewhere to complain - always worth a try - so so sharing: https://cinepolisusa.com/contact-us

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

^ Was at the Parsippany location for a work event a couple weeks ago, and the theatre we were in was a dump.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Oct '18

Please don't let my message to cinepolis link above be the only one from here - otherwise we are, as my dad used to say, just talking to eachother...

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Whoops tried to edit my last post one time too many and it got lost in the sauce . Anyhow if the first theater Cineopolis bought in Parsippany didn't get renovated then there's not much hope for Mansfield . I'll repost the links that got deleted .

https://www.amctheatres.com/ticket-tuesday

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/2017/01/05/luxury-makeover-parsippany-multiplex/96210054/

https://www.cinemark.com/pennsylvania/cinemark-stroud-mall-and-xd

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

I wrote a review ... they should just close the theater it is a dump !!!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Oct '18

I wrote to them and here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting CinepolisUSA Guest Services,

We are in receipt of your recent concerns and candid feedback. We further apologize that your visit was less than pleasant and will work hard to create a positive and lasting impression.
The cinema is expected to undergo an extensive and well planned remodel in the coming months that is sure to provide the type of service and experience you deserve. Plans are being finalized and we believe the new look and feel will be consistent with your expectations. I would like to extend a pair of complimentary passes to you that you can use now or when this new renovation has been completed. Your business is valuable to us, and we will work to be the premier choice for your entertainment needs.

Sincerely,

Jon Sisco
Regional Manager - Northeast Region

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '18

I would take those passes and use them at Cineopolis Succasunna , which had a minor remodel in winter 2005 . No one wants to go to a broken down theater and when that place closes dollars to donuts it won't reopen unless another chain buys it .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

The problem is the theaters in Succasunna, Parsippany, and Mansfield were run by a mom and pop type owner back in the 90's. Clearview bought them out in 1997, then Bowties, now Cinepolis. None have made the needed upgrades to todays standard which AMC and others currently provide. The Mansfield theater especially should be gutted and expanded to the empty space next door with bigger screens and state of the art sound along with proper stadium seating.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

An extensive remodel would be nice , but unlikely since it's going on 3 years of neglect . I just realized I've been spelling it wrong with an extra o when it's Cinepolis with the punctuation mark over the e . Never really looked at their sign closely I guess . I do remember how they put a tarp over the Bowtie sign when they first took over , thought they closed at first .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

Honestly I don't believe the area can sustain the new model for theaters. It will likely see a new tenant.

Thank you for contacting CinepolisUSA Guest Services

We are in receipt of your comments and appreciate your continued business. We regret any past pledges or promises to retrofit your local cinema and apologize for letting you down.
At this time, we are pleased to announce that our design and construction teams have begun the task of composing plans that will translate into a remodeled location slated to begin during the first quarter of 2019.
Again, we appreciate your interest in seeing this location flourish, and to that we plan to deliver on your expectations.

Sincerely,
Jon Sisco
Regional Manager - Northeast

Sincerely,

Cinepolis USA Guest Services

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Cleo what do you mean? There are plenty of people in the area that would go to a modern theater here instead of driving to Rockaway.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

Metsman..do you remember the original AMC Rockaway theaters?

Bug3
Oct '18

Why would I drive all the way to Rockaway, if I have a theater 5 minutes from my house? No matter how much newer and fancier Rockaway is, my time and convenience is WAY more important to me. The moldy seats others have posted and the mildewy smell I personally experienced last time I went there (a yearish ago) are enough to keep me away and the next movie we see will be somewhere else until the renovations are completed here. But once they're done, I'll be SO happy to have our theater back!

somechik somechik
Oct '18

Bug3 yes I do. They were dumps. They were smart and built something brand new.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

Someone should pass this link on to management! LOL

New seats.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/536677206832856

Is the remodeling rumor true?

Bug3
Jan '19

We will only go to Rockaway - for comfortable seats - huge screen - great sound- too loud during previews that go on forever - It's not far - Tuesday is bargain day -
I did write to Cineopolis Corporate about the condition of the theater and heard back from them. Maybe a few more should contact them.

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

"I did write to Cineopolis Corporate about the condition of the theater and heard back from them. Maybe a few more should contact them."

It's a business decision. Taxes,low volume of customers, complaints from customers, etc.

Either it's profitable or it's not. If not, the complaints will just accelerate the demise of the theater. Why keep paying, losing money, and dealing with complaints?

Time will tell.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

I was there last week and the staff told me they are making it a dine in theatre!!

Ellen Ellen
Jan '19

After visiting an AMC theater in Morristown and East Hanover recently I can't imagine this place would even bother to open its doors. In fact going to an AMC theater at an "off" time has ticket prices under $10. That includes reserved seating in a large, comfortable reclining seat in a clean well operated theater.

I emailed and sent pictures to corporate last April. They issued me free tickets, but I highly doubt they will do anything. I remember when i was a little kid and the theater opened...and it's still the same seats... just 3 different names...same thing goes for the carpets.

The crazy thing is, I remember Starplex cinemas (these were out in New Brunswick and Saddle brook areas and have now been bought out by AMC) would have a 6 dollar flat rate for tickets, and they had reclining seats and all that (still do offer those ticket prices)...I think that would drive more people to the theater here...because at the moment I will rather watch something at home on TV right now than go to Cinepolis and deal with their conditions....maybe I have just gotten spoiled by reclining seats in other theaters....

gzellf gzellf
Jan '19

"In fact going to an AMC theater at an "off" time has ticket prices under $10. That includes reserved seating in a large, comfortable reclining seat in a clean well operated theater."

Greg,
With taxes, insurance, etc , it should be interesting to see how long this model holds up. I could be wrong, I suspect less theaters in the future, nicer, busier areas only. You need to keep the seats full to profit, just like an airplane.

This theater is a significant distance from Rockaway, Morristown, and East Hanover. There is income in the area that can travel from east to west which has less traffic.
Ellen was told they are planning to make it a dine in. If so, it could improve dramatically. Long term, I still believe that theaters will decrease but not be eliminated entirely.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

For Christmas, I got my son a gift card to the AMC Fork and Screen in Bridgewater to bring his friend. We chose a 12/27 10 AM showing of Spiderman. Tickets were 6.99 a piece probably due to the matinee. The food and drink we ate around lunch was comparable to an applebees or friday's. The boys loved the lounge style seats and the waitress service. They kept getting drink refills!

Don't want to deal with Cineopolis again. It's a shame because there are no close theatres for us that are any good! Gotta go to Rockaway/Bridgewater/Morristown for a decent experience.

Was at Rockaway 16 today -- place is huge. Nice theatre, a good experience.
Self-serve stations for soda / slushee, and butter for your popcorn. (or whatever that stuff is .... LOL)
[ Mary Queen of Scots ....... excellent film, highly recommend. ]

happiest girl
Jan '19

There's a large dumpster in the parking lot near where the regular trash is for the theater, are they really finally renovating!?
I've been saying for years that they would be so much better off if they renovated and matched the quality of Amc. I haven't been to a movie in a long time (mostly because I'm working a lot) but whenever I do think about going I end up changing my mind because of the drive to Rockaway.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Jan '19

We went to the theatres in Phillipsburg about a month ago (because we won't go to Cineopolis due to their state of disrepair and filthiness), and it's quite nice. It's funny tho, we went on a wed night, and it was BARREN. No ticket box person, just 1 or 2 "popcorn people" and 1 manager, and when we left, most of the lights were off! It was like they all went home already and someone was "coming back later to lock up" LOL

Jan '19

Drove by the backside of Cinepolis yesterday, workers were removing seats and putting in the dumpster. Fingers crossed updating the theatre.

Outsider Outsider
Jan '19

Roxbury movie theaters are less expensive to get a ticket than Rockaway especially, and Mansfield.

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '19

I sent an email to Cinepolis through their website and received this response back....

Currently we are waiting on a definite start date for renovations to begin at Mansfield, but it is in the works.

jpb3302 jpb3302
Jan '19

In other words they said don't hold your breath . Too bad , a nicely renovated theater googleplex close by would have been sweet . And Cinepolis Succasunna (Roxbury) is only cheaper than AMC Rockaway when you don't consider 5 dollar Tuesdays at AMC (with free Stubs Insider membership) and before noon matinee prices which are $6.47 . Like most theaters it depends on when you go and the day you go .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '19

AMC stock is not doing well. Giving away $6.47 tickets is not helping either. It's a dead industry. I guess if Cinepolis feels like renovating go ahead, after knowing that their primary profit is on concessions, and so many on this website talk about sneaking in food- if that is your primary profit, why bother?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/02/28/why-i-will-never-buy-amc-entertainment-holdings-st.aspx

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

Read the bio on the right , the author of fool.com is kind of a nutjob with an agenda -big surprise there ! But even that nut says Cinemark is doing well and I favor that theater over AMC for it's even lower prices and tall(no heads in your way in front of you unless they are pro basketball players) lean back and sleep seats . Cinemark Stroud Mall for example . Their XD theater is much less costly than AMC's IMAX , with early bird first show pricing , senior Mondays , and discount Tuesdays . If any theater chain ever took over Cinecrapolis , I would hope it would be Cinemark :)

https://www.cinemark.com/theatre-1061?showDate=01/22/2019

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '19

97x ,
The author does not matter, you can just google the stock and get the same result.
Never been to Stroud, maybe I will make the trip just for fun.
I would expect Pa to be cheaper anyway. The design has me interested, however.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

You should go to either of the AMC IMAX/Dolby theaters (theaters 8&9) at Rockaway Mall at least once to experience the balcony accessed by the top exits(connecting the two theaters) that overlook the lobby and parking lot through the glass front windows . Up there is a private bathroom , elevator access for handicapped to reach top row seats , and a back stairwell for fire egress . It gives the impression of a modern movie palace and is probably even more spectacular at night although I've never seen it at night since I only go to the matinee . The Dolby theater has electric reclining seats with a flat control panel(like a hospital bed) to recline and raise the footrest .Seats for both theaters are by reserve only , but they swivel the screen towards you at the counter so you can pick em there ;)

Going to the Stroud Mall is like time tripping back to the 1980s to a small mall with a food court , small bookstore , and a FYE cd/dvd store .Seats in the theater are the best I've ever sat in - plenty of legroom , tall/vinyl/leatherette or whatever with a head pad .It's easy to drift off to sleep in them during a boring movie even when surrounded by people and you never have to worry about blocking someone's view if you are tall .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '19

The theater is now closed as of Sunday night 3/3 and will reopen in the summer after major renovations are completed as per their website.

Superchefsgirl Superchefsgirl
Mar '19

Hope they're gutting the entire place... It's stuck in the 90's.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '19

The website also says this:

REOPENING SUMMER 2019
We are TEMPORARILY CLOSED for renovations while we enhance our moviegoing experience. We are excited to provide a refreshed concept to our guests this Summer. Our refreshed new look will include reclining leather seats, a full new kitchen and more. Updates and details on our renovation will be provided here.

I look forward to the much needed improvements.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '19

Is there a movie theater in washington any more?

Bug3
Mar '19

None in Washington. Next closest that direction is Phillipsburg, and it's a nice theatre.

Mar '19

No, the Washington Theater at the corner of 31 and 57 has been closed for quite some time and the place looks like it needs renovation. Last movie I saw there was Toy Story.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

Gotta go to Roxbury or Rockaway now.

If popcorn costs &20 a bucket, what’s a full kitchen meal gonna take: a mortgage?

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

Put in multiple Dolby theaters with the motorized reclining chairs and upgraded screens/audio. That will get me to go there. If you can fit in an IMAX screen, I'm good too.

If they don't have either or something better, then forget it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '19

Hmmm. With all these improvements, maybe some of our local kids can get some part time jobs!

I saw them taking tons of sheetrock into the theater around noon today.

Mom with kids Mom with kids
Mar '19

A picture is on the website . With dining trays , recliners , individual lamps , it might be 50 bucks apiece for one movie and some food. Wonder if they'll have a liquor license ? Once you start that though count on missing parts of the movie for bathroom breaks . Been a long time since the Ledgewood drive - in , but the movies were shorter then and often were double features with built in breaks in between . I read the next Avengers movie is so long they are thinking of having an intermission .

https://cinepolisusa.com/locations/mansfield

97XBAM 97XBAM
Mar '19

I guess this is the trend. I went to one of these theaters in Bridgewater. Tickets will be more expensive, the food is expensive, and very distracting with people bringing food in, and more talking. I like going to the movies, but this is a reason for me not to go.

Denis Denis
Mar '19

"If popcorn costs &20 a bucket, what’s a full kitchen meal gonna take: a mortgage?"

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Perfect!!

Bridgeater has these "dining" theaters already. Denis described the experience perfectly.... not sure Hackettstown can financially support such a venture... because it IS expensive. The food prices are at least as much (and I think higher than) places such as Chili's, and the food is NOT as good.

The one time those kinds of theaters are kind of cool- when you are taking KIDS, to a KIDs movie: because they are more than entertained, filed with sugar (they have DESSERTS too), and the adult doesn't care if they are distracted from the movie.

I know there's "inflation", and I know "things only get more expensive", but seriously.... $12 a ticket, and the XL popcorn "value meal" is only $2 more than the smallest value meal... for 2 gallons of popcorn and half a gallon of soda, LOL.... you can see a minor league baseball game for less money, and there 2 WHOLE TEAMS to pay, PLUS everyone involved in running them....

I hate sounding like the "get off my lawn!" guy, but am I right or am I right?

Mar '19

Denis, I believe they need to do this to survive. They can't just survive on cheap tickets anymore. Question is can they survive in Warren County, maybe...

Stop with the Warren County thing. People will bring their kids to the movies and spend the money if it is nice! Long Valley and Mount Olive are also both within short driving distance and if it is done up nice, people will spend!

I have traveled 40 minutes to the fork and screen because the experience was great!

You can still just SEE a movie. You aren't forced to eat there too.... and yes, this is a good area with not many nearby options for people.

Go or don't
Mar '19

If I'm going to see a movie and NOT eat... I certainly don't want to be surrounded by people who ARE.

Personally, I prefer taking the 40 minute drive to Becky's Drive-in... grab some food and beverages on the way, lay down a blanket and some lawn chairs, the kids have a blast and its relatively cheap.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

...or you could just watch movies on a large screen at home via your favorite streaming service. No one is making you go to a movie theater.

YeahRight YeahRight
Mar '19

Honestly, with all the crap Hollywood has turned out, the high prices, annoying people, I'm surprised movie going hasn't died out all together. I see maybe 1 movie in a theater every 3 years or so. And when I'm done I wonder why I just didn't wait and rent/buy it.

Steve Steve
Mar '19

I agree with Steve, remember when theaters and screens where huge, they are barely half the size, some not even that.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

I love going to the dine-in theaters. It's really not as disruptive and you may think. I'm looking forward to having a nice theater in town.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '19

I doubt if every single theater in that googleplex is going to equipped for dinner . Some movies aren't worth a bag of stale Cheetos and half a cup of flat soda ! A large screen IMAX or XD theater with premium sound would sell it better anyway than extra wide seats and a constant conga line of food .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Mar '19

Dine in theaters are an old concept. I had a beer and a burger at a Drafthouse theater in Texas in 2008. As usual NJ is behind everywhere else. I saw 2 weeks ago that they are building a new Cinemark theater at the Willowbrook Mall.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '19

Does this really work??You're trying to watch a movie and plates and glasses clinking around you and servers standing in your way. Can't see the movie. Hmm.....

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '19

Movies pretty much have always had hot dogs . The Ledgewood drive in also had dried up hamburgers and Flavos .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfVBhfMNpk

97XBAM 97XBAM
Mar '19

Dad,
Sarah and I would like to go to the movies. 80.00 should do it.
Love you dad,
Keri

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Mar '19

I am looking forward to this. Good to see an investment being made here. It's a positive story, even if the experience is not your thing.

Mar '19

Hey, if the food is good and $80 keeps the riff-raff and Iman’s kids away ;-) then I am all in. But if its $5 grey water dogs, not so much.

Anyone know if these places have good food and how to get mustard stains off leather :-)

Mar '19

This theater had one left.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwd6gztJTd8

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '19

It looks like more of a restaurant/bar with tiny movie screens smaller than the old ones currently in there . The huge tv in the lobby might be a good place to catch a game though .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiIUIpDcxOs

97XBAM 97XBAM
Mar '19

The restored Kings theater in Brooklyn where I used to go to movies as a kid. Now that's a theater!

Denis Denis
Mar '19

Denis, that reminds me of the Paradise in the Bronx. It was a theatre to behold.
As a child I was most impressed with the stars in the ceiling and the huge marble water fountains.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/900

happiest girl
Mar '19

Denis

I can really appreciate that theater! I attended concerts at the Ritz Theater in Elizabeth back in the 80's. While it was in some disrepair, the details in the architecture gave many hints to what it looked like in its heyday! I love old places like that which have been restored to their former glory and reused or repurposed to highlight their original grandeur!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '19

"Dad,
Sarah and I would like to go to the movies. 80.00 should do it.
Love you dad,
Keri"

Yes, that's about right.

Mar '19

Phil D

You want the JAMESWAY movie experience?

Bug3
Mar '19

I saw Star Trek I in one of those the might after it’s premier there. Made a tolerable movie great. Even the excruciating Enterprise flyby scene. Later, the same house made Marx Bro’s like no Bro’s I had ever seen.

Just couldn’t charge enough for those few seats to make a go of it.

Mar '19

I lived in Tampa for a while. If you ever want to see a beautiful theater, the Tampa Theater is really something.

thomasnj thomasnj
Mar '19

Hackettstown has supported James on Main and Paladar along with the surrounding area supporting places like Mattars. There are people driving luxury cars/SUVs and big expensive pickup trucks. Homes in neighboring towns average 400K+. The senior parking lot at the HS has cars nicer than the teachers.

How much does 3 beers cost at Beas, Taphouse or the microbrews?

If you don't think a movie is worth the cost, that's fine and dandy. Let's stop acting like people in this area are destitute. I bet there are more people than you think driving to Rockaway's AMC.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '19

I drive to Rockaway. so if they rebuild it into a nice theater here, I'd gladly go.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '19

Well in THAT case, why hasn't a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or Wegman's moved in? We've got the space (especially for the first 2)... and apparently everyone here thinks the area has the money...

...I'm betting it's because their research has implied to them otherwise.

I'll be happy to have a CLEAN movie theatre in town again. But I'm about at my limit for ticket prices, so if they go up to pay for the new install (like OMG Burger did), I doubt I'll be going. And I can certainly afford it, but that's not the point. The free market will make the decision if it survives. Interesting the last 3 iterations apparently could NOT...

Mar '19

"Does this really work??You're trying to watch a movie and plates and glasses clinking around you and servers standing in your way. Can't see the movie. Hmm...."

"Anyone know if these places have good food and how to get mustard stains off leather :-)"

I've been to three or four of these types of places over the years. (As someone mentioned, they are not new. There was a place called "Cinema & Drafthouse" in Charlotte, NC in the early/mid '80s when I was in college.) In my limited experience, the staff generally does a pretty good job of being as unobtrusive as possible. They try to get all the ordering and delivery done early on, so they're not milling around during the bulk of the showing. The food quality is pretty much what you might expect: it's passable, but you're not going to find yourself thinking, "Is anything good playing at the Cineopolis? I'm craving one of their ::insert food item here:: !"

Monty Monty
Mar '19

Got it, thanks monty. Appreciated.

Mar '19

@Jefferson, because whole foods puts stores where there are a *lot* of college students, which comprise most of their employees.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

Denis, I went on many dates to that theater. An amazing ornate beautiful place. I specifically remember seeing Funny Girl and Tora Tora there. Barbra Streisand went to Erasmus High near there so it was fitting to see Funny Girl there. Many of the Brooklyn theaters were really beautiful. Now they are either closed, demolished or subdivided into smaller theaters where there is no character or history. I also went to some Rock 'n Roll shows at the Brookkyn Fox and Brooklyn Paramount Theaters. Great memories.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '19

Nice to hear that many others remember the beautiful old theaters, and yes @Phildd nothing better than seeing an old beautiful building saved from demolition, and restored. @justwondering what part of Brooklyn did you live in? I grew up in Brooklyn Heights and Bensonhurst.

Denis Denis
Mar '19

Denis, I grew up in the Sunset Park area, near Greenwood Cemetary. After marrying - Bensonhurst too. Across the street from New Utrecht HS.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '19

No one has mentioned the fact that they have not had a" really GOOD movie" more than twice a year !!
Geeno

Eugene. Dauch,Sr. Eugene. Dauch,Sr.
Mar '19

why hasn't a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or Wegman's moved in?

Because it's a different business model. Those stores thrive on the need for the majority of your grocery needs to be fulfilled by them. They need to offer something really special for people to spend 2x or 3x their Shoprite budget for relatively the same goods. That could be hundreds more per month for a family.

With a movie and a family of four, the cost difference between $8 and $12 tickets is $32 for 2 movies per month. That's not significant if you consider it an afternoon or night out.

Regarding the last 2 owners, did the experience improve in anyway? My understanding is that the costs went up and nothing improved. I could walk to that theater and drove to Rockaway instead because the experience was better.

I do understand your point about everyone having a price point where it's not worth it to them. I know people who never spend extra for the IMAX ticket because it's not worth it to them. For me, I only go to movies where the big IMAX screen adds to the experience. For everything else, I'll watch it at home.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '19

Bug3

You Buggin' right? I guess you didn't see that I was responding to Denis, two posts above mine where he was writing about the restored King's Theater in Brooklyn? Maybe you just read my first line and thought I meant I really appreciate the current Cinepolis Mansfield Theater? You too funny!

Perhaps you also missed that I loved OLD restored buildings and architecture like the King's Theater and the Ritz Theater in Elizabeth, NJ:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritz_Theatre_(Elizabeth,_New_Jersey)

https://www.goelizabethnj.com/listing/ritz-theater/470/

I saw Al DiMeola three times at the Ritz, once as a solo act. Another time as part of the "Guitar Trio", consisting of him, Paco Delucia (RIP) and John McLaughlin (of "Mahavishnu Orchestra" and "Shakti" fame with Steve Lynch opening and joining them for the 4 person rondo finale. The other time I saw him there was as part of the VERY short historic reunion of "Return to Forever". The Ritz was known for its fabulous acoustics

justwondering

I didn't see "Tora, Tora, Tora" there, but as a child I lived on Oahu during part of Jr. High and my school was fortunate enough to see the opening of the movie at a classic theater in Honolulu. That was followed by a box lunch at a Memorial Park on the North side of Pearl Harbor itself, about a block from where we were living at the time, where I would walk out the door and walk right onto the North edge where I had a perfect view of the Arizona Memorial. I was blessed to see so much history growing up, as well as to view movies and acts in historic theaters here and there across the country!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '19

Q PhilD, that guitar trio is as good as it gets!! Romantic Warrior was one of my favorite albums in college. Lenny White, and Stanley Clarke played there.

Denis Denis
Mar '19

Denis

That was the line up (Chick, Al, Lenny & Stanley) for the brief reunion that lasted for I think one or two dates in NYC, then one or two at the Ritz. I could see the friction already as Chick was motioning for them (the roadies) to turn down the volume during a solo by Al. It seemed he didn't think anyone else should have as much spotlight as himself although Al and Stanley had headlined their own projects by then. All of which I had on vinyl too, I should add;-)

I mentioned the wrong Steve above too. It was Steve Morse who opened for them at the Ritz and who joined them at the end. The foursome were playing together and by the end they then took turns in line, first doing several bars each, then less, then less, until at the end they each played a single note of the tune in perfect order. It was crazy and awesome, all at once!

I also saw Stanley Clarke with the Jeff Lorber Fusion opening for him (at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC). I think at the time Kenny G. still went by his real last name and hadn't left the JLF yet and Karen White did what vocals they had. My date had to cancel at the last minute, so I offered the extra ticket to a metalhead friend of mine. He enjoyed it and was just completely blown away by Stanley Clarke!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '19

"Because it's a different business model. Those stores thrive on the need for the majority of your grocery needs to be fulfilled by them."

Of all the people I know who go TJ's and WF's, NOT ONE does ALL their grocery shopping in either one, they're too expensive. They go there for speciality items (especially organic, non-GMO, etc) that they (until recently) couldn't get at Shoprite/Weis/A&P. Shoprite has certainly stepped up their game in the dept.

Actually, it's very similar to what I have read with people going to the new Aqui over in Califon: to expensive to shop there, but great for those certain items you can't get elsewhere...

Mar '19

Phil d

If they would restore the strand or the washington theater those would be great places to see a movie

Bug3
Mar '19

Bug, it's going to be expensive....

limited parking.....

Guy trying to have concerts out of there didn't make a go of it. You would think rock concerts could make a buck.....

Would be nice, but if you think Centenary Pool is hard to make a buck on.....

I think if it comes back, won't be as just a movie house OR a movie house at all.

Mar '19

Emaxxman
Movie going and fine dining are two totally separate things. This area is not affluent by any stretch of the imagination. If I was to open a fine dining or upscale business of any kind I certainly would avoid this area. Education and income are more reflective of Pennsylvania than they are of the NY metro area. That’s fine for me because I choose to live here but as a business owner catering to clients or customers with lots of discretionary income, I wouldn’t make it here.

On the other hand the more poverty in an area the higher the movie ticket sales are. I guess it’s an escape from poverty.

Friendly mcface Friendly mcface
Mar '19

Have all theaters gone to mandatory "reserved seating" for all shows or is that something unique to Regal?

We took the kids to see How to Train Your Dragon 3 last weekend and I bought the tickets online. It didn't tell me until AFTER I purchased them that I would still need to wait in line for the ticket seller to print them out (were the kiosks that big of an expense for them?). In the process of buying the tickets, it made me select my specific seats as if I were buying concert tickets. Thought it was somewhat ridiculous, but whatever.

Then, I get to the theater... it's 40 degrees out and the wind is blowing at about 30mph. There are 4 people ahead of me and it took at least 3 minutes to process each of them because everyone is like "huh?" when the cashier tells them that they have to select seats from a display. MAN, was I aggravated... and don't even get me STARTED on how inefficient their friggin' concession stand is. Too cheap to hire enough people so that the cashiers don't have to fill the orders themselves after spending 3 minutes figuring out how much of my left arm a large popcorn costed me...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

ianimal - I've never seeing that - but these days only go to the amc in Rockaway -

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '19

AMC in Rockaway has assigned seating for their IMAX 3D and DOLBY theatres. They’re the ones with the reclining seats. It’s great you can pick you seat and show up right when the movie time starts.

They have no assigned seats for their old theatres that you have to stand in line prior to and then they will let you in and it’s first come first serve for seats.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

With assigned seating, can you pick your seat to be aisle or center?

Mar '19

You can pick the exact seat from what is available at that time.

thomasnj thomasnj
Mar '19

Any idea when it is going to re-open? Online it just said Summer 2019. Are we talking June or August?

Sirya
Apr '19

I would think they obviously gave the broad "summer of 2019" for reopening as that gives a window of time to complete the renovations rather than a hard date. Too many variables to contend with to set an exact date.

Look what keeps happening with the American Dream fiasco in East Rutherford. Each time they announce an opening it gets pushed back. Personally I would not believe an opening there until I see cars in the parking lot and people inside the structure. LOL.

I'm sure when they have a real sense of a completion date for the theaters it will be posted on the website and or their PR department will create some media fanfare to announce the reopening.

Does anybody know the number of theaters they will have when the renovation is complete?

Bug3
Apr '19

Did they specify which summer ? 2019 or 2020 ? It looks like they may have taken over the area where Buddy's Small Lots was located . I hope they also offer theaters without food and with matinee/discount pricing . Screen size and big sound are more important to me than what kind of sushi is being served . I don't mind the booze part , but you can't pause the movie when you eventually will need a bathroom break .

Saw Green Book at AMC discount Tuesday (5.33 with a free Stubs membership) a few weeks ago . Great movie that was worth every penny - finally a movie that deserved the best picture Oscar actually won it !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '19

Yes indeed 97XBAM

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

The website does say Summer 2019

Sirya
Apr '19

Have they really taken over that space next to them?? That'd be pretty cool! It'd be great if we could have bigger screens, even if the reclining seats take up more space and there's a few less seats overall:it's totally worth it imo. I'm excited for this!

gzellf gzellf
Apr '19

They need to get rid of all the crappy small theaters and make nice size theaters. Taking over the next door space is a great idea if they have.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '19

metsman - they "need to"? you mean, you would like it if they, right? i expect they understand their economics better than you do, and they are making decisions based on their expected cost and benefit analysis.

ken e
Apr '19

ken e if they want to make actual profits then yes they NEED TO. Fancier seats and more food options aren't enough. There's a reason people drive to Rockaway. It isn't for in theater dining or leather seats. The screens and sound and stadium seating are far superior.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '19

It would be great if they built it like Cinemark Stroud Mall which opened in November 2011 . Big curved screens , great discount prices , huge leg room , and most importantly high backed seats with head pads where some tall guy like me doesn't have to scrunch down to not impede the view of someone behind them . Unless they're NBA player tall no one's head will get in your way there . And that's something AMC Rockaway lacks . I've had to move seats more than once when some tall person sat in front of me at AMC and scrunched down out of common courtesy for others on occasion when I couldn't get a seat in the back row .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '19

Anyone hear of an opening date yet? The website still says summer 2019 which is quickly approaching.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
May '19

Summer could mean August. Who knows.

Metsman Metsman
May '19

Cinepolis luxury theatres charge over 20 bucks for a seat and 15 dollars for a drink as well as overpriced food /snacks and tips to the waitstaff . I think I'll stick with Rockaway AMC and Cinemark Stroud Mall . Saw the Avengers movie on the large XD screen (9 bucks) last week at Cinemark and the seats were so comfortable I found myself drifting off a couple of times . But if some people want to pay 80-100 bucks a couple to watch a movie to each their own .

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32946-d3916073-Reviews-or90-Cinepolis_Luxury_Cinemas-Rancho_Santa_Margarita_California.html

https://cinepolisusa.com/locations/mansfield

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '19

97XBAM

Over 20 dollars? Obviously the prices for California are different than here. That is probably the price for a ticket anywhere there. If you look at the succasunna location it is actually cheaper than AMC at only 8.75. And that's for a 10pm showing of Aladdin tonight. So if this one here sticks to that price point I will gladly go there instead of driving 25 mins and paying more at AMC.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
May '19

AMC has 5 dollar Tuesday also before noon discounts , 5.50 on Tuesdays at Cinemark first showing early bird specials on other days and the screens are much bigger . I don't go to all that many movies maybe 6 a year tops so driving a little further is no big deal . The 9 dollars I paid on senior Monday was for the larger Xtreme Digital screen with huge 11.1 channel surround sound , could've wated a day and saw it for 8.25 on discount Tuesday . To each their own and when Cinepolis Succasunna eventually upgrades to the luxury restaurant format 8.75 might buy a bucket of popcorn , but little else .

https://www.cinemark.com/xd

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '19

Based on the link showing what our Cineopolis will look like - I guess I'll continue to Rockaway...............since we go to movies to see the movie - hopefully in relative comfort, with good sound, big screen, and cleanish floors - certainly not for a nap on a leather recliner or for food.............hope some theaters here will be "basic"

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

I can't wait for the upgrade theater. We used to go to the AMC Dine In theater in West Orange all the time and enjoyed the experience.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
May '19

Just went to a movie last week in a Chicago suburb. They had a full bar, several stands for different types of food and the chairs were large leather recliners All matinee movies were $9.00 until 4pm.

hkts456 hkts456
May '19

Sounds nice if that's your choice . But the clicking and clacking of silverware and the extra light from private lamps look distracting from the movie experience to me as well as the small screens in the pictures . I like to go to the earliest morning matinee on the biggest screen with the best sound . I don't eat lunch since my slow old man metabolism works best that way . These places advertise you won't have to put up with loud distracting crowds because of high prices and seats only available by reserving them , but just wait until the 2nd or 3rd week of a blockbuster movie and you will find 12 or 20 like minded people in a morning matinee who don't utter a peep . It's not anywhere near the inner city out here is what I'm saying . I will try it out though , I've seen many movies in that theater - I can see at least one more .

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '19

I went to a Drafthouse Theater in Texas one time. I wasn't distracted from the movie. They serve food and beer.

Metsman Metsman
May '19

Has anyone noticed the workers doing the renovation at the theater are all from California and Texas. They'll finish there work move on to the next job and not spend a dime of there earnings, or pay any taxes to the state. Does anyone from the area know someone who pays taxes and spends there money in our local businesses that could use a job. Because that situation would be very unfortunate for the unemployed worker that's paying taxes and supporting local economy in our area.

ROBBY BABY ROBBY BABY
May '19

Perhaps we need a wall.....

In reality, they pay all the day-to-day taxes we pay like sales, gas, liquor, cigs, etc. They also basically pay property tax in the price of wherever they stay, unless they are living in a trailer in the parking lot.

I think that leaves state income tax...….everything else is covered.

Legally, I believe they are obligated to pay state income tax as well and if the company is a major concern, this can be "codified" in the pay or the w2's --- I think. Not quite sure on that one, so perhaps someone else can chime in.

May '19

Um maybe they work for Cinepolis who does pay taxes to the state.

Metsman Metsman
May '19

I work in PA and don't spend any money there or pay any PA state taxes. Should I quit my job?

emaxxman emaxxman
May '19

emaxxman, my wife works in PA and ONLY pays PA State taxes. She doesn't pay Jersey state taxes.

ianimal ianimal
May '19

That's odd since the two states have a reciprocal agreement to not tax each other's residents. I would probably be better off if I paid the PA tax only.

Regarding the new theater, I hope it turns out nice. Would be great to have a local spot with modern audio and video. Probably too small for Imax but give me a Dolby cinema setup.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '19

It's probably because she's a private contractor rather than an employee. Forgot that little distinction for a minute, lol. Sorry..

ianimal ianimal
May '19

Reciprocal agreement ---- bet NJ makes out on that one :>) So Emaxx is an illegal alien in PA not paying taxes just like all the other illegals there :>)

Turns out, we don't make out: "this simple move, which does not require the state Legislature’s approval, would generate an extra $180 million a year for New Jersey."

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15/12/08/opinion-time-to-revisit-the-new-jersey-pennsylvania-reciprocal-tax-deal/

Rescind this puppy.

May '19

emaxxman,

Then your wife is a resident of PA. Residents of PA pay PA tax regardless if they work in PA or NJ. NJ residents pay NJ tax and not PA. However, NJ residents do pay local income tax to the PA school district. Usually, Berkheimer administers the collection of the local income tax. Here is Berkheimer's website:

https://www.hab-inc.com/

Jonathan Stone Jonathan Stone
May '19

I don't know how this thread turned out into a discussion about taxes ? I imagine Cinepolis uses the same crews to construct their luxury theaters to a uniform design so obviously the company would want the same workers who constructed the theaters at their other locations to do the construction on the east coast theaters to get it done faster and more efficiently .The company must be paying for room and board as well as per diem for food , laundry , etc. , plus whatever the workers themselves spend in the area - so it's not like there isn't any money going into the local economy .

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '19

So, when it reopens, you need special reservations?

When you buy your tickets, you'll also pick your seats.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Jun '19

According to a manager I spoke with today they are planning a soft opening for the middle of July and grand opening for August 2.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jun '19

At this point..who cares...they missed the summer movie season

Bug3
Jun '19

It's been a very weak summer blockbuster season , unless the movie is animated , so it looks like they chose well . Dark Phoenix = flop , Men in Black International = flop , Godzilla is showing a small profit , but 105 million domestically has to be a major disappointment . Maybe the new Spider-Man movie will liven things up a bit ? August's Hobbs and Shaw will probably do well since the Fast/Furious franchise usually does . Spider-Man Far From Home , It Chapter 2 in early September , and the August coming of age movie Good Boys are the only ones drawing my interest at this point .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTtrOapOfY

http://themoviebox.net/14040

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '19

Just fyi, I noticed on Indeed that they have positions open for their kitchen.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '19

all the renovation work was done by people from out of state like texas and California will they be hiring people from new jersey for kitchen help. Because Easton and Allentown PA are not far away. It would just be nice to support a local workforce from if not the Hackettstown area maybe the warren county area or maybe New Jersey to be even more flexable.

ROBBY BABY ROBBY BABY
Jul '19

Local help must be extremly overpriced if they are importing construction crews from cali....I could see bringing people in from western pa but cali is a bit of a stretch

Bug3
Jul '19

Many Nationwide businesses do this. They bring their own contractors to each location to do the renovations. This way they know they are getting the same skilled labor and each site will be done to the same quality. BTW those out of state contractors bring in a lot of money to local businesses. They stay at hotels, they eat out at local restaurants and they go to Shop Rite daily to get food. So outside money coming into our economy is good for local businesses.

Their US corp office is in Texas so most of the crew is probably from there

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

jim new jersey has very qualified labor that is very capable of doing quality work. They could use local workforce and save on all that food that you say there buying at shop rite and restaurants that you say there dining at as well as the hotel bills. out side money is always good coming into this local economy I was just thinking it would be nice to support local people so we didn't have to travel to texas and California to get a job like this texas corporations workforce has to. I just assume if they could get this work in Texas and California they would but they must have a problem doing that so they come here but that makes it harder for the qualified jersey worker to find a job.

ROBBY BABY ROBBY BABY
Jul '19

They're a huge chain, so if they want to bring in their own people to be uniform with people that already know the specs and such, then that's fine. We should be happy to just have the theater and not an empty space at another mall.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '19

and if I had the job I wouldn't be leaving when the job was done back to texas or California and the money I would have made would 100%be going back into the new jersey economy, taxes, those restaurants you spoke about the shop rite and many more businesses, gas stations for years and years and years.

ROBBY BABY ROBBY BABY
Jul '19

Robby Baby cmon… Who cares if they bring their own people in to do construction...

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

Robby. They have their own crews. Plain and simple. Yeah local help would be great. But not how you run a business of their size and scale.

Jul '19

I work in Project Management for a large company. They always bid out their jobs to at least 3 companies. They typically pick companies that they've worked with before, have done quality work and can support the project for the duration. This often times results in contractors having to travel in from out of town or state. It really is super common.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Jul '19

coming from they employed I assume . that would be nice . my attitude is different but I respect your comments.

ROBBY BABY ROBBY BABY
Jul '19

Has anyone heard when they are opening?

JMB2002 JMB2002
Jul '19

Next week is what I heard . I also heard they will have some non-dining theaters which is good .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jul '19

They are aiming to have a soft opening on Aug 1st.

Imwithstupid
Jul '19

How many theaters?

Bug3
Jul '19

What updates have they made?

Treetops Treetops
Jul '19

Cannot wait to check it out :)

darluggh darluggh
Jul '19

The Mansfield Cineopolis had a "soft open" yesterday evening where they invited a few locals to movie screenings and limited food and concessions. It was to train their new employees and test the waters. There are about 12 theaters that have very limited luxury seating (most theaters had a "max occupancy" sign outside with less than 75 people). The seats are fantastic, all brand new reclining leatherette chairs with swivel tray tables for concessions. And lots of leg room for moviegoers and staff to walk through the aisles.

They had a limited food menu of things like a hummus plate, soft pretzel, chicken BLT wrap, etc. and it looked very good. I had a sweet cream-cheese filled soft pretzel which was delivered to my seat before the movie started. I enjoyed the experience very much and it's great to have a nice, clean theater in the neighrborhood again.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Jul '19

Ok but are the screens and sound better? IDC about food or luxury seating.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

Yes, the screens and sound are all renovated and updated. I don't think there are any IMAX screens however.

Jul '19

a soft open and i wasn't invited? well i will never go there now!!!

lol. for those that don't get the reference:
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/826290#recent

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

What are they charging for an adult ticket? Is food purchase required?

hktownie hktownie
Jul '19

Jim, you created a link to THIS thread... just saying (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '19

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/461437#t504539

thanks ianimal, man i suck at this lol take 2... still funny

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

Is food purchase required?

no food purchase is not required.

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

Getting a little strange there Jimbo; seem to be having a discussion amongst yourself, linking to yourself...... is that called a circle link? ;-/

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '19

My wife mentioned this update to me.

I don't go to movies often, as like most these days I can watch at home with a decent tv and speakers- while pausing to go to the bathroom.

That being said- the few times we want to see a movie on the big screen we have gone to Bridgewater for the dine-in movie.

Did the Mansfield place procure a liqueur license. And if not- do they allow BYO (doubtful)....

They are looking for a bartender on there hiring page. Maybe they bought Ruby Tuesday's license? Or they might just call the dedicated drink guy a bartender.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Jul '19

When is it going to open for everyone to enjoy? I can't wait!

Can’t wait to go. Want to see the new movie with Leonardo and Brad Pitt.

Happygirl Happygirl
Jul '19

Went to the soft opening tonight. Seats were comfortable, food was good! The bar was not open yet.

Our family went to the soft opening tonight and loved everything about it!!!! The theater is beautiful, food was great, manager, staff and the regional manager are super friendly and welcoming!!! Spread the word! We are so happy they invested in our community and renovated the previous “awful” theater. Thank you Cineopolis!!!

Just Saying Just Saying
Jul '19

What are the prices ?
Is there senior discont ?
How many theaters ?

Every thing for the event last night was free so not sure what prices will be. If you are looking for cheap I highly doubt this will be the place for you. They did a nice job on the upgrades and food is way above normal movie garbage so I am sure it will come with a price that to me is well worth it for what you get now.

If I remember correctly the prices for movie tickets are not that expensive. $8 for matinees and I think it was $11-12 for evenings. I did not see if there will be senior discounts. There are 12 theaters.

You do not have to buy food if you don't want to. The prices for food were expensive. While we didn't pay for anything at the soft open, my receipt for the food we ordered showed prices. $5.99 for a medium drink, $6.99 for a soft pretzel, something like $8.75 for popcorn. Not cheap at all, but I almost expect that from movie theaters.

There will be a bar, where there used to be the concession stand at the old theater setup they have added a bar you can sit and order drinks. I highly doubt they will be BYO.

Jul '19

Jdem......not looking for cheap, just affordable

The theater ticket prices won't be any different than they were I'm sure. They'll make more money just by it being a nicer place and having food and a bar.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

LOL, major remodel is going to result in higher prices...

ijay they're already more expensive than AMC. Remodel results in more people coming there instead of driving to Rockaway.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

Metsman

Perhaps you should visit the theater before running your mouth....just a thought

Bug3
Jul '19

You shoot yourself in the foot jacking ticket prices up. The theater was dead before the remodel. If they made it nice it'll attract a much bigger crowd.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

How long are these soft openings going on? Is everyone invited, how are people finding out the times of these events?

JMB2002 JMB2002
Jul '19

You are correct metsman

Bug3
Jul '19

JMB it was a friends and family soft opening just for a couple of nights. it's over. they advertised it on a couple of websites like eventbrite.

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

Metsman i disagree on the driving in crowds. I think most succesfull new business around here find a niche that higher profit margin and lower volume is a better model then low margin high volume.

How bout perfect margin, perfect volume....

Isn’t niche that downer German philosopher?

Jul '19

What around here can you compare to a movie theater? They won't be successful if they make their ticket prices higher than everywhere else.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

I think most theatres don’t really make that much money on tickets but food and drinks. If I remember correctly, the big studios take a nice percentage out of sales of tickets. Someone like me only goes to see movies a few times a year, and when I do it’s an event with a few friends. I’m willing to stop in and give it a shot

Patrick O. Patrick O.
Jul '19

And if you have less people in the seats then those concession sales go bye bye.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

Does anyone know when they will re-open?

hktownie hktownie
Jul '19

Still a bit of an oversight not adding any IMAX. Still makes people leave the town to experience something better. Not to mention most people bring their own food. Candy, pretzels, chips and bottled water is what I've seen. Anyway hope the reno the outside, went by there on Sunday and the place looked horrible still. AMC is a better product for what it's worth.

They are not just a movie theater anymore. They have a full food menu and seats to accommodate eating your meal. In turn they make more money per patron so they do not require as many people to pass through. All theaters have struggled since the streaming era has come to be so they need to be creative to stay open. From what I saw they hit the mark. I may have gone to a movie once a year in a traditional setting. With what they put together my wife and I would definitely be there more often then just going to a local restaurant ever time we have a night out.

I only go to one or two movies a year tops. It isn't worth it. The movie will stream and be available to buy for the cost of a ticket within 60 days of its release. Personally, I don't find it a fun time out anymore, and there really isn't that many worthy movies to have to rush out and see.

Even the theater in Fort Lee with gourmet dining and ninja like servers during the film gets pretty poor reviews in terms of value and food quality.

I'd rather have a nice meal in a good restaurant and then make it a Blockbuster night. Those were certainly better days.

What do you think everyone is ordering food?

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

I would assume the goal is the majority to eat or they would not have had incurred the expense of a kitchen. A building full of people watching the movie and not spending other money is not going to pay the bills. Offering food and services you can not get at home is the selling point.

Agreed. I have a decent tv and sound system, and would be lucky to go to a movie once a year in a 'normal' theater with the old school seats, and loud people around me.

My wife and I go to the dine in theater in bridgewater a few times a year- yes because we can get food and drinks.

We will check out this renovation. If it hits the marks, we will go more often- so it is a smart move on their end.

Have you ever been to a dine in theater? You either like it or you don't. You don't have to eat, but you do need to see and listen to others eat.

This will make or break these types of theaters. Some will just see a movie some will incur 3x the price for the food/concessions. Most won't be back.

This is as exciting as the American Dream mall fiasco.

What kind of food are they offering? The Fort Lee theater has sushi, beef tips, salads, and all sorts of fancy stuff. Some at $28 a plate. I don't see that here. It will be like Bridgewater. Burgers and hot dogs and the like, sold for a premium and it will remind you of eating at a sporting event. No thanks.

anyone know what movies they are showing?

chef peder chef peder
Jul '19

Don- wtf are you talking about? Bridgewater has a LOT more than hot dog & burger.

Ha don doesn’t let silly things like facts get in a way of his rants.

Bridgewater’s menu

https://amc-theatres-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/v1558464885/amc-cdn/general/img/full-service/48880_AMC_FS-Handout_DIT1133SP18FHO_FA_SinglePgs.pdf

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

Thanks Jim for your opinion. I looked but figured sporting events got better.

Look, no prices

I hear all the fashionable places are doing that.

Jul '19

Great synopsis of the Bridgewater menu Don. LMAO...

The only way this theater will do well is if the ticket prices are in line with other theaters. The people who don't want food will go and the people who want some decent food will go. AMC in Bridgewater has a regular ticket price.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

Make sure you bring your Lipitor or equivalent when eating there, lol.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '19

They have salads.....

Mets, you mean we won’t pay premium ticket prices to be able to get overpriced food he said sarcastically..... Yes, Mets we agree it works better if tickets are market priced. Otherwise, it’s just a short drive to BW.

Jul '19

Seems like such a distraction to be eating messy foods when watching a movie.
How can you concentrate on a movie when you're trying to eat a meal.

Nachos dripping with melted cheese & salsa .......messy burgers & fries ........ tacos that fall apart ....... grain bowls filled with all kinds of stuff ..........

I can imagine plenty of dropped food on the floor ..... attracting bugs and worse.

Seems crazy to me that movie theatres are trying to be restaurants.
I know it's to make money, but it seems like a bad idea to me.

happiest girl
Jul '19

Jim L has a lot of intrest and knowledge in this theater. I think that's great he has so much concern for our community. He's stoked my curiosity to find out his deep concern of this great project. So i'll be back with information.

ROBBY BABY ROBBY BABY
Jul '19

I dunno HG, can't be any harder to clean than any busy restaurant; hopefully it's built to clean.

Movies take a good chunk of time to consume so the idea of bundling a meal or a snack sounds pretty good to me. Sure, it's tv-table type fare, but still I will not be looking for a meal as soon as I leave the theater. Makes going during the week a win-win possibility where doing dinner elsewhere and then attending a flick is a tough go for me during the week and vice-versa would be near impossible. .

Not sure I like the idea of watching everyone around me munching away, probably I am a sight as well, but that's what giving it a shot is all about. I am hoping to be pleased...…...and I might even have a salad!

DiCaprio, Pitt, Tarantino, Hollywood, Nachos, Alcohol, Bloodbath ---- what could be wrong about that! I smell mucho cameo's!

Best luck to Cineopolis,

Jul '19

They updated their website and now have movies starting tomorrow.

We're excited to announce the Soft Opening of our newly redesigned Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas in Mansfield NJ! Please join us over the next few days while we continue to train and perfect our service. For your convenience, we will be offering discounted online tickets that will be labeled 'Training'. Additionally, we will have a limited Food & Beverage menu. Our Liquor License is pending and we hope to open the full bar soon. Thank you.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jul '19

Hahahaha! it’s not even open and folks are complaining!! Hahahaha!!!

Iamrite Iamrite
Jul '19

Soft opening tickets are $6.00 - now is the time to check the place out.

weill the beer be bottles or on tap

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '19

Went yesterday with the wife for an 11:45am showing of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and were the only ones in our theater. Review for anyone interested:

We moved up to PV in 2016 and never went to the theater before that, so I can’t speak to the old theater, but the new Cinèpolis is definitely beautiful. You pick your movies via big touch screens like AMC but unlike AMC their was only one register we saw at the end of the bar to pay with cash which could cause issues on busier days.

The staff their was definitely learning and we had a few hiccups printing our pre purchased tickets and ordering snacks, but you can’t knock the kids for just learning everything. Prices for snacks are definitely in line with AMC (large soda and candy cost 12.00). If your a new member to Cinepolis and sign up online for rewards, you will get a free popcorn. You place your order, pay, and the food/drinks are brought to you once you are seated. Also the service fees seemed high to me for tickets (6.00 plus tax plus a 3.00 service charge brought tickers from 12.00 to 16.54)

The theater also offers a full kitchen but the kitchen was not up and running when we were there, nor the bar which as stated is waiting on license.

As we entered Theater 2, an employee followed us to our seats where he had our popcorn, candy and soda waiting for us. I imagine this was only so quick because no one was there, but was a nice perk. I am not sure if this will change when kitchen and bar are up and running but unlike other dine ins, no one came by to check us after we were seated. Other theaters have wait service through out the movie. This was actually fine with me as I would rather not be disturbed once the film starts but others might want the service.

The theater itself is not as high end as other dine in theaters, but based off of what I heard from last theater, its a huge upgrade. Chairs are comfy and recline back with automated button. A swivel table in front for snacks and cup holder. A big plus was leg room as the seats in front are spaced well, but you are still right next to the person on either side of you.

The screen and sound (Theater 2 which was a big theater compared to smaller ones in the complex) was fantastic. I have had a few terrible films at AMC in Rockaway where I’ve gotten better sound from my home theater, this was not the case here.

Overall we enjoyed the theater (as a huge Tarantino fan I wish I could say the same about the film) and definitely will be back once its fully up and running.

PsychoNetsFan PsychoNetsFan
Aug '19

I agree with psychonetsfan's review for the most part as we saw the same film yesterday in thetre 2 but the 6:40 showing.

So yeah i didnt think it was as comfy as it should be. You will still share the arm rest with the person next to you. Some dine in theatres have dividers after every 2 seats. Not so in auditorium #2. Not sure if they all have the same design. I think there were only 6 rows even though it was a large auditorium.

The biggest flaw with the seats is that they dont recline all the way and the leg rests dont go up all the way. Inexcusable if you ask me.

They did have a pricing list displayed on a monitor. Fridays and saturdays after 5 are $12. That is the highest it goes. I think tuesday afternoons were $6. Other times were $8 or $10 so it depends on time and day. Slight discount for kids and seniors. And of course the aforementioned $3 fee if you purchase online.

No free refills! I dont know of any theater that doesnt offer that. That is a crime greater than the fries at OMG. Lol.

So its reasonably priced, more comfy. But I still prefer morristown amc overall which isnt even a dine in. But i may go to mansfield more due to location.

Scott Scott
Aug '19

Went today and absolutely loved it. The theater looks beautiful. There were only 3 rows in our theater (#10 for Lion King) and it was a pleasure to stretch out. The recliners were comfy and the table/tray and cupholder are helpful. The staff bent over backwards to make sure we were happy with their service.

One thing on the recliner. It took me a little while to get the hang of the button that makes it recline. If your thigh hits the button inadvertently, the chair might recline when you don't expect it to. This was easily remedied, once I got familiar with it.

Our food was delivered to our seats. The kitchen was open for the "soft launch" menu and salad and some other dishes were available. Although the bar is not yet open, they had some great drink options, including bottled sparkling water from Italy. The also told me the water fountains have sparkling water and the man I spoke to was fairly sure the water fountain uses a filter (will ask next time I go).

I am not a usualy moviegoer and prefer to watch at home, but this theater is a gamechanger for me and I intend to go more often. That's great news that the ticket prices won't be outrageous.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Aug '19

We also went last night – theater 11 at 5:50 PM. We ordered our tickets online and just had to scan our QR code. Was a little bummed about the tacked on service fee.

The renovation is definitely a huge improvement from the old theater. Yes, it’s not as high-end as some other dining theaters but for our area, it’s definitely an upgrade. I agree with Scott that it would be nice if the recliners did recline a bit more and you did not have to share the arm with the next seat.

My main concern is if the seats and floors get cleaned after every or every two showings. I can see how it can get pretty gross pretty quickly with sticky fingers touching the recline buttons and messy floors etc.

The true test will be how the theater looks a year from now… If it’s poorly maintained, we will just have another gross theater in our area and we will end up going to other towns to see a movie. I hope it gets well-maintained and we can enjoy this theater for a very long time.

Jules Jules
Aug '19

We’re here now - what an amazing improvement! Yes, AMC has bigger screens and larger theaters. They don’t have a bar though (that we hear will be up and running in a couple months), nor do they deliver food to your seat, and it’s a 5 minute drive from home. We are thrilled with the improvements - the seats are more comfy than AMC - and the staff has been fantastic. No complaints, nothing but gratitude that in our little town, there is such a nice place to go. Thank you for making the investment, Cineopolis!! Oh, and they’ll have cheap movie Tuesday’s :)

local chick local chick
Aug '19

You all that are complaining - get over yourselves. We are super lucky to have such a nice place in town.

local chick local chick
Aug '19

We went last Thursday. It's awesome inside! What a difference from before. We loved it and are thrilled with the upgrades. The seats were awesome. Can even charge your phone....lol. We are so happy it's up and running again. I'm glad that there are some jobs available for the local kids. We had a flatbread and popcorn combo. They even had vegetarian options. Everything was great. Can't wait until the full menu is up and running.

Glad to hear you liked it! I love the idea and can't wait to go. People are too quick to poo poo everything from building it to the price, yet they constantly ask for Trader Joe's and places to come to the town. Any place that is willing to be here and be part of the economy is welcome. Also, the more small businesses, the better!

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '19

Yes the place is much nicer than it was but I don't like the idea of not being able to get your popcorn and soda at the concession. How do I know that some kid didn't eat from my popcorn or drink from my soda on his way to bringing it to me. Plus they no longer offer free refills. If you want another soda or popcorn, you have to buy it. I'll stick with Regal in Pohatcong and use Cineopolis as a back up theater.

NY 56 NY 56
Aug '19

"How do I know that some kid didn't eat from my popcorn or drink from my soda on his way to bringing it to me. Plus they no longer offer free refills."

Seriously?! That's a concern? They are around that junk all day they don't want what you ordered. How do you know that doesn't happen when you go to a restaurant??? Wow. Ok.

Well, I'm so glad they revamped it and am looking forward to checking it out soon!!!!

somechick1 somechick1
Aug '19

I gave our server a couple bucks and also got free refills on our drinks.

NameisNotDave NameisNotDave
Aug '19

Are the theaters well sound ( from movies) insulated from each other?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '19

Beautiful theatres!! Some people need to carry out their garbage and keep it clean and nice. The people working there were all pleasant. Great seats!! :)

darluggh darluggh
Aug '19

We went yesterday you can't beat the $6/ticket soft opening price. Everything was updated minus the bathrooms. The bathroom stalls are still hard to open and shut and there's only one soap dispenser for a row of six sinks, so hopefully they are going to update those before the grand opening.

The seats were comfy but yes you share an armrest with the person next to you. I was next to an adult so not much room. I leaned towards the left side where my kid was sitting.

Yes the prices for food are ridiculous as always. $40 for two medium sodas, a water bottle and two medium popcorns. We will be bringing our own drinks again. Maybe one day movie theaters will become more affordable again. You can only order at one register and then they deliver you the food. The line was almost out the door, hopefully this will improve. At other dine in movie theaters the waiter comes to you which is easier.

But overall, happy to have it open in Hackettstown again.

lionking lionking
Aug '19

Movie theaters are affordable if you are willing to travel to the right one . My current favorite theater is Stroud Mall Cinemark - cheaper than AMC Rockaway with no one's head ever in your way with head pads on the high seat backs and double armrest spacing so you could drift off to sleep even if every seat was occupied . The problem is getting a movie WORTH seeing .

That Tarantino movie was beyond bad with Bruce Lee getting his butt kicked by an aging stuntman and the Manson family murders being played off for laughs . And he blatantly stole the Mamas and Papas song Twelve Thirty from Bad Times at the El Royale - I guess that's the song that draws young girls into cults ? I really hate the Hollywood attitude of ignoring history and just write anything (what if this happened instead?) because the morons in the audience will love it no matter how stupid .Tarantino hasn't put out a movie I really liked in over a decade .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_nbwGCshE

97XBAM 97XBAM
Aug '19

Grand opening is tomorrow. Regular ticket is $12.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '19

From the pics it looks super nice. Nice addition to Hackettstown!

The grand reopening date of Cinépolis Mansfield will take place on Friday, August 9th. To celebrate, all ticketed guests will receive a free small-sized popcorn through Sunday the 11th. Additionally, the first 100 ticketed guests on Friday will receive a complimentary ticket to return, while supplies last

Went last night and enjoyed the experience. Seats were very comfortable.

Looking forward to seeing more movies there and trying out the bar once its up and running.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '19

Hope they don’t show the movie “The Hunt”. If the premise has been interpreted correctly, this “political satire” looks to be one ugly movie, in more ways than one. If some recent shooters have emulated the crazies before them, then this movie could remove what little restraint the other deranged have left. Scary given the current political environment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7332373/Trailer-violent-movie-Hunt-pulled-wake-triple-mass-shootings.html

justintime justintime
Aug '19

justintime, did you HAVE to bring up politics and guns into this? Can't we keep it on topic and not run into this? Let's enjoy the new theater and what it brings back to town and not start up on this thread.

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '19

I went last night. Nice theatre. I did not buy food, so can't comment on quality. They take your order in the lobby and deliver to your fully reclinable seat that has leg support. Space between rows is huge, and allows for staff to make delivery without disturbing anyone. Staff was nice and seemed well trained and friendly. Just a few people in the theatre. Yay!

maja2 maja2
Aug '19

maja2 -

i agree that it is nice, and i am happy we have such a cool theater nearby.

but i do not agree with fully reclinable seats. leg rests go up about 1 foot off the ground and back slides back a few inches. there is no good reason for that. at least in theatre #2. and i checked a few seats, it wasn't just mine. at 6 foot 4, my legs were still hanging down. obviously more comfortable than the old days, but not as comfy as other luxury theatres.

just had to throw that out there.

enjoy the theatre everyone!

Scott Scott
Aug '19

Well fully reclinable meaning you still are looking at the screen and not the ceiling :)

I would prefer a regular seat that allowed leaning back a bit.

maja2 maja2
Aug '19

Is food served before the movie begins?

The reclining of amc theaters go further than these go.

Superchefsgirl Superchefsgirl
Aug '19

Very comfortable. Order food.pay. Find your seat. And 2 minutes later someone brings your food to you.
Very nice. :)

AMC has better seats no doubt. Time will tell how they keep the place up.

Steve Steve
Aug '19

I looked at prices online today they are all the same. There is no difference between children, seniors, or a regular ticket price.

TJS...there was a small difference when i went. the prices were posted on a screen in the lobby. wish i took a pic. but it is very possible that there is no difference when you buy online because there is no proof of age.

Scott Scott
Aug '19

its a bit confusing but The prices change depending on day of week and time of show:

weekdays:
$11 adults
$8 kids
$8 seniors

Weekends:
$12 adults
$10 kids
$10 seniors

you can select which one online when purchasing your seats.

weekdays shows 1pm and earlier are $8. after 1pm they go up to $9 and then in evening they go up again. So check the individual time of the movie to see what the prices are

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

like today if you click on a 1:40pm showing it's $8 for adults and then the next showing at 2:40pm its $9 for adults and then at 6pm its $11 for adults.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

Jim, ??? Today is $6.00 Tuesday. I click and the admission is $6.

https://cinepolisusa.com/buy/selecttickets?cinemaId=912&sessionId=65518

well maybe not for all movies?

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

We went during soft opening and while the Sears were comfortable and we enjoyed the movie the popcorn was simply awful. I’m wondering if it’s because it’s now advertised as being vegan and so it’s not butter at all but some strange vegan substitute. Very sad because i love movie popcorn and it’s the first time I’ve ever thought it was bad. Hoping they improve it and I left feedback on their website since that is the ultimate goal.

LibertyMom
Aug '19

I doubt any theater uses real butter.

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '19

https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/food-drink/whats-in-movie-theater-popcorn-butter/

ianimal ianimal
Aug '19

Now...if there was a movie actually worth the price.. (more than one or two a year)

Mary L Dauch Mary L Dauch
Aug '19

+1 Mary!!!! Movies are AWFUL these days (years)!!!!!

I'll go to the theatre to see the new battle of Midway movie in november. Maybe Zombieland 2.

Aug '19

Went today - most impressed with the theater - theaters are small - seats super comfortable - plenty of room - my only advice- maybe buy tickets ahead because you pick your seats when you purchase -

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

This is theater 5 - sorry it's a bit blurry but you get the idea

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

We went yesterday, I think the new theatre is great.

New, clean. I love the stadium seating (a head is NEVER in your way), the lazyboy recliners are super comfy. We actually had the food, simply because we were so busy with Xmas stuff we did not have time for dinner. We each got sliders and shared fries and a soda. The food was good. Better than some stuff I've had at Bea's LOL!!

It was $30 for the food. I'm sure some people probably think that's too high, but had we gone to Tap House or Marley's and ordered the same thing, it would have been $30 too, or close. I don't think it's out of line considering you get the convenience of eating dinner AT THE MOVIES.

I also love how you choose your actual seats now. Buy tix online, choose your seats, show up and show your phone to the concierge, and done. Easy peasy.

I'm FAR more likely to go to movies here now, moreso than in a number of years...

Dec '19

@jeffersonRepub
Thanks for posting that review. I am now more interested in trying it out. We tried a similar theatre back in Edison NJ and it was not worth the upcharge. This one seems to be more reasonably priced and will likely give it a go. Thanks again!

friendly mcface friendly mcface
Dec '19

Well worth it......period.

Have been a few times and love the theater! Clean, updated. Movie food prices are always ridiculous but their hot food, sliders, flatbread, etc isn't much more than Applebees or someplace like that. Very happy with the remodel!!!

However, I have had problems using the app where purchases I make through it don't display, it told me my payment failed buying tickets even though it went through anyway, and it dix the same thing when I ordered food from my seat about a month ago. Hopefully they improve it soon.

Somechick1 Somechick1
Dec '19

Now...If Hollywood made a worthwhile movie,we would be all set !!

Mary L Dauch Mary L Dauch
Dec '19

Knives Out was great fun....

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

+1 4cat. Was that you? ;-)

Dec '19

Just announced they are closing their theaters in Succasunna on January 5. https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/s/gyuqt/morris-county-movie-theater-shut-down-sunday

thomasnj thomasnj
Jan '20

Lots of memories at that place as a customer and having worked there for 2 years when I was a kid. Unfortunately the theaters never updated with the times. Why go there when you can drive to AMC in Rockaway. I wonder if a more successful chain will buy the building and remodel it.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '20

Can you still buy tickets at the window or is it only online? And if you buy on location do you choose a specific seat or can you sit anywhere once inside?

happiest girl
Jan '20

happiest girl, they have about 6 ticket ordering touch screens in the lobby. You have to choose a seat when buying the tickets.

maja2 maja2
Jan '20

Wish they would hand out lobster bibs...….have to find a special "Cineopolis shirt" that is pre-stained.

Jan '20

Anyone know if they transfer points earned from the previous Bowtie Cinema rewards card to the new rewards program?

happiest girl
Jan '20

Went by this theatre an hour ago and two police cars were out front. One of them was putting a guy in hand cuffs into the back of the police car. Wonder what that was about?

Bernie Bernie
Jan '20

He sat in the wrong seat, probably...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '20

Brought his own snacks in.

Jan '20

May have thought he was in the "other" type of theater or tried a PeeWee Herman.

But all our guesses are only speculation until we "See It In The Sunday Papers", or the Mansfield Twp. PD webpage. They do have one, don't they?

happiest

I doubt they'll transfer points from Bowtie as that's been over two years ago now. I'd say your best bet is going onto Bowtie's website and see if there are any movies playing that you wish to see at one of the theaters they still own and try to use your points that way, but then again, if you had the gold membership it needed to be renewed each year at a cost, so it may all be a wash.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '20

phil -- I thought Cineopolis bought out all the Bowtie cinemas?

happiest girl
Jan '20

nope, there are still plenty of Bowtie Theatres.

https://www.bowtiecinemas.com/

Jim L Jim L
Jan '20

happiest girl

As Jim L. posted, they just bought out the ones within about 20 miles from us, Mansfield, Ledgewood and Parsippany.

I used to go to the one in Caldwell and the Clairidge in Montclair to see Indy and Foreign Flicks, such as the original Swedish "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" Trilogy, as well as "A Film Unfinished" about the discovery of archives of Nazi films of both reality and purposefully staged productions of life in the Warsaw Ghetto. It was largely a much older audience and I can just imagine how many may have been either survivors of the Ghetto or the Camps or possibly soldiers who helped free them.

Definitely a large selection at the Clairidge and Saturdays were usually a good day to go. The parking lot just West of the theater on the South (same) side of Bloomfield Ave. is right across the street from the Police Station, though I think the meter's only good for 2 hours per feed. Of course afterwards there's a wide variety of restaurants in that section of Montclair, at least when I was going there.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '20

Cineopolis is a Mexican company, number one in Mexico and number 4 in the world. Relatively new to America, in CA, they did a nice movie house while retaining the 35mm, Gosh bless them for that. So, not exactly a cookie cutter outfit, let’s face it, we like their business model.

And if funded by laundered drug money, hey, at least they won’t go under in a recession ;-). Given they’ve been around for over 70 years, probably OK. And perhaps they have found the best use for a wall yet!

Tried 1917, a chicken samdwich and some nachos. All very nice. And keep going; they have better menu items I guess for the higher volume venues.

Jan '20

The Cinepolis theater in Succasunna is closed as of last weekend.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '20

JrzyGirl88

Yes, sadly. Sometime around the middle of last week I saw the news that it would be closing this past Sunday. That theater was in better shape than the Mansfield one was before the upgrades were done, but I guess they didn't see the worth in upgarding that one considering it's a lot closer to their Rockaway competitiors. Parsippany, on the other hand, was already a newer and nicer theater than the other two I believe. Parsippany being a major population center and crossroads seems to make it unlikely that it will end up closed.

You never know though, Bowtie may buy it back, or better yet, someone may make it a movie center that shows some major pics, but concentrates on being an Arthouse Cinema, showing Foreign films and smaller Indie flicks. To me, that would be awesome, as long as it was reasonably priced - meaning competitive with the other theaters. With the Hispanic, Indian and non-Indian Asian populations (among others, as well), in the local area, I could be wrong, but I think there would be a market for such things. You mainly have to trundle all the way to the Clairidge in Montclair or out West to Pennsy as it stands now.

Strangerdanger

How was 1917? The only other World War I movie I've really seen out has been "War Horse" years ago, which to me was excellent in recreating what has become an underappreciated War and which later set the stage for Hitler's rise to power as we super-sanctioned Germany in punishment, a lesson learned by all, as shown by the aftermath of WWII. Of course it was a great horse and person story, as well.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '20

Haven't been to Mansfield Cinepolis yet but thinking of going for a matinee tomorrow. I see if you purchase tickets online there is a $1.75 booking fee per ticket. If you purchase tickets inside the theatre is there also a booking fee?

happiest girl
Jan '20

There is no booking fee if you purchase them in the theater from the cashier. I'm not sure if there is a fee to purchase them from one of the machines in the theater though.

Sunburst
Jan '20

Apparently Phil, 1917 is the cat’s pajamas in the globes and nominated for best film for Oscar. Although I still stand by my review which I think might have some similar points as expressed by the current Broder New Yorker review. Personally, not impressed by many current reviewers who seem green and prone to being moved by PR and flack.

Good time for films; it’s like a blooming cottage industry with smaller focus boutique flicks coming out everywhere; lots of new sources.

Does anyone know about the Tuesday discount program, film re-runs? Love to see some classic or cult flicks on the big screen on the cheap.

Jan '20

sunburst - thanks - I didn't know there was a live person in the theatre selling tickets as I poked my head in the other day and saw the lobby had no ticket office like when it was Bowtie. I guess it's inside where the concession is.

stranger -- form what I could tell on their website the Tuesday discount program is not available in Mansfield -- but I could be wrong. I did not navigate the entire site but I did not see the Mansfield location come up when I looked for the program.

happiest girl
Jan '20

I'm guessing the cheap tickets for Tuesday is honored. They were packed when I drove by Tuesday night.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Jan '20

Happiest girl ~ Yes, it's by where the concession stand was.

Sunburst
Jan '20

Tuesdays--$6.00
I believe people were being sent to the ticket machines - that charge a very small fee

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

I bought tickets at the ticket machine on Tuesday. I didn’t pay any fees.
PS. I highly recommend 1917

Carole Carole
Jan '20

Comp of 1917 vs They shall not grow old?

Stranger -- I see it on their website ---- look under "Cinepolis Handpicked" They seem to be either Tuesday or Wednesday evening. General pricing for Tuesday is $6, Wednesday shows are $8.

happiest girl
Jan '20

I’ve seen 1917 and They shall not grow old and enjoyed both. For me, 1917 was a more personal experience, as if I were there experiencing what it was like for the characters. I enjoyed They shall not grow old because it was amazing to see what technology could do to restore images of the war that were previously unviewable. 1917 was so realistic though that I think that it may be disturbing for anyone who has PTSD. Before the movie started I saw a few audience members that seemed to me were veterans and I thought of them as I watched the movie wondering how they were feeling.

Quiet One Quiet One
Jan '20

Does anyone know if the smaller theatre rooms have smaller screens --- or are they all the same size, regardless of seating capacity?

happiest girl
Jan '20

the two I've been in had nice large screens - and they were not big theaters

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

How many theaters do they have now?

Bug3
Jan '20

13 theaters. as clearly mentioned on their website. :)

Jim L Jim L
Jan '20

Omg. Stop asking questions and just go! Who even plans out things to this nature! I planned my entire wedding with less questions.

If you don't like the place or experience, come back and complain all about it.

Seenit
Jan '20

seenit

Wow!! Are you still Married? I hope so

Yes! and we even go to the movies regularly for dates!

Seenit
Jan '20

Little women = very good. I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me. Great date flick!

Certainly highlights the value of a sorority of women and, by that example, the fraternity of men. Viva la differance.

Yes, theaters are different sizes, this one was 27 seats, 3 rows. But it’s nice, cozy, and certainly different than 300 people in an imax. I know it wasn’t but proximity made the screen size OK. Not sure it would be a great Star Wars venue.

Feb '20

That's why I asked. I too saw Little Women in a smaller theatre and I thought the screen was smaller than I remembered -- but I wasn't sure as since there have been no films worth seeing for a long time, I had not gone to the movies for a long time.

happiest girl
Feb '20

I find the New Theater very nice! My question is this with the concession prices being rather expensive along with ticket are we really supposed to give a Tip to the Delivery Person who brings food/drinks to our seats?

Lion, there is a tip jar at the register. I can't say that I saw anyone in the theatre hand a tip to a waiter. I only got popcorn, but for a meal and drinks, I would say that's similar to a restaurant, so tip, but in the jar. Employees are incredibly attentive and polite. Probably paid more than a restaurant servers salary. But tipping is always optional. Do what you feel good about.

maja2 maja2
Feb '20

on tipping:

not pro or con; just a thought... the servers ar Cineopolis do bring your food to you. However, they do not (it's not their job) come back and check up o you numerous times, see if you need anything else, or clear your "tables". Of course this would be very disruptive for the movie watchers and it's GOOD that they do not do this.... just pointing out that they don't do the same thing a restaurant wait staff does.

Feb '20

We tip a couple bucks for $30. And they do offer things like: any issues with food they will clear up. Last time, they lowered the volume upon request. Boy, did that help and being way-down-that-long-hall, I certainly didn't want to walk out to do that: priceless.

Basically we do it because everyone is just so darned nice.

Gonna need menu expansion soon...….pretty much tried everything I wanted to so far, don't want to order same too many times.....other cinepolis locations have far different choices on the menu so I am hopeful that we have the volume to make changes there over time.

May be issues though if you order food off the internet though ---- seems to be issues still. Ours worked, but could not order beverages, water, and had to do on site where manager said he's not recommending internet orders yet until kinks are worked out. Really liked ordering everything, breezing in, scanning phone, and then it magically appears. Like having silver status at the airport :>)

As far as price --- my take is the price is a bit high if you compare it to a restaurant. However, compared to movie food, I think it's cheap, especially for the quality you get. And now, with the frequent flyer, with senior discount, we might be knocking 5% off the price. And it's all new and clean.

To me, Cinepolis seems to have turned the business model around and now is a slightly overpriced restaurant that shows movies versus a movie house that has some really expensive snacks. Of course, I have yet to try the popcorn, anyone have comments on that?

I say good deal, lots of fun, and gonna see a lot of movies until something changes for the worse.

Feb '20

Agree with SD: at least it's a nice theatre again, worth seeing movies in. We don't go to the movies often (and RARELY in the last few years because the place was a dump), but we will be going more often now, I think... even if we don't eat, it's a nice place with comfortable chairs and NO BLOCKED VIEWS. Win-win in my book, even if the tickets are a couple dollars more (and IDK that they are; but IF they are, that's fine with me for what I'm getting)

If you want it cheaper, rent movies On Demand or go to Red Box and watch it at home.

Feb '20

Ditto and vice versa too: nice place to eat, a few bucks more, but you get to see a movie from a splendid ez chair.

I do have an issue. Shirt spills. I tried my lobster bib but that’s just making inna lap spill. Plastic drop cloth?

Feb '20

We go to the noon-ish - time showings specifically hoping to avoid the food issue. We don't want to be near anyone eating a meal, and an earlier showtime plus a less-crowded theatre is working for us with this issue. For us, only the traditional popcorn or candy is appropriate in the close seating of a movie theatre.
As far as tipping, the servers are very gracious and polite and we tip them personally (not in the jar) for bringing our popcorn & soda.

happiest girl
Feb '20

If no one is near you, why not food? You are breaking the business model, who is being inappropriate :>) What about the alcohol ---- is that verboten :>)

I have not had an issue eating or any issue with anyone else enjoying a meal. Haven't heard anything, smelled anything, nothing.... Besides my shirt.....

Is the popcorn routine movie fare or is it better than most movie houses?

My DIL found LWomen to be pedantic. Go figure. #$#$#$#4 millennials, what do they know? OKBoomer, that's it :>)

Feb '20

SD -- I loved Little Women. Also just saw 1917 and recommend.
For the food --- what if someone sat next to me or close enough. I don't want to be
distracted by someone eating. I would be grossed out if someone was sitting right next to me eating.

happiest girl
Feb '20

So far, my own little woman has not grossed me out. Beyond her, I honestly haven’t noticed anyone else, might be the luck of being able to go in the afternoon, during the week. I agree on your reviews, just thought our millennial response interesting.

Feb '20

Why is the movie theater closed again? The website says due to local restrictions they are temporarily closed. Have more restrictions been implemented?

Pamela Pamela
Jan '21

I'm not sure , but I've heard there is this really contagious killer flu going around .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '21

Silly question I guess. But has anyone really been to a movie theater in the last 6 months?

Sacks cousin
Jan '21

We went in December on the weekend afternoon and picked the back row. There were total of 5 people (3 were us) so no one near us and can smell the sanitizing in the bathroom and theaters. Felt safe and sat together. Hoping more movies will come out.

We went about a week or so ago. Felt as safe as could be given the current circumstances. Theaters don’t fit many people now with their renovations and reservations ensure seats next to your group are not occupied. There was only one other “group” of two people in theater with us.

With 5 or 10 people in the theater to see a piece of plot hole filled garbage like Wonder Woman 1984 , I'm sure they are real enthusiastic about staying open to lose even more money !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '21

With HD tv at home and nothing more than a sound bar system why ever bother going to a movie theater anymore lol

Itiswhatitis
Jan '21

Wonder Woman 1984 was a messed up version of Aladdin with an SJW version of a villain made to be a Mexican look-a-like of liberals favorite president... Far departure from a good movie like the first one. Patty Jenkins has a severe case of TDS... And now she's directing a new Star Wars movie Rogue Squadron... Not expecting that to be any good now...

Metsman Metsman
Jan '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.