Advice re: broken glass tabletop

We had a weird occurrence last night. I set a plastic salad bowl down on our dinning room table, which has a clear glass top over it. Went around and sat down then noticed about 6 inches from the bowl was a huge crack in the glass. It was not there when i set the bowl down. No one was sitting by that area of the table. We heard no noise. Nothing. By the end of the meal the crack had gotten longer. Neither one of us went near it. Is there any way to fix it?

stressed out stressed out
Dec '17

Bummer.
Sadly no there is no way to repair that. I'm sure some folks here on HL have some recommendations for a glass shop to use now that Warren County Glass is no longer.

Is it on an edge - you may be able to get it cut down - did that when movers crushed the corner of mine

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

We’ve used Matt’s Glass in Flanders before.

http://mattsglassnj.com/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '17

Jack's Glass shop in Washington is good.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

New glass. Done that down South, no local recommendations.

Came home totally cracked from edge to edge..will look into new top. Thanks for the recommendations.

Stressed out. Stressed out.
Dec '17

Once the glass is removed I would carefully check to be sure the table surface is sitting flat. Use a long straight edge to check it. Perhaps something has changed and the table is not level causing stress to the to glass top.

Good advice. To add to my bad week on Friday nite I noticed a wet patch where the carpet meets the ceramic tile in the hallway. Sponged it up with a towel, set a fan on it to dry. I thought it unusual maybe one of the kittens had an accident, but it didn't smell like urine and its a foot away from the dining table. Saturday i get up and same spot is wet again..dried it and there's actually water seeping up from below. We are on the first floor of a condo and i can see concrete just below the carpet. Called maintenance for the condo in case its in the plumbing under us left a message. Tried getting a plumber sat/sun no luck. Any recommendations for a plumber?

Dec '17

It sounds to me like the association may be responsible. Usually you own from the wall surface in..............

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '17

I was thinking the same thing. Unless of course it is a leaking water source in the wall and it is simply migrating to that point.

Yes I left a voice mail Saturday with the office. Called again this am. its not very wet,
less than a foot in space, but its located a few feet from everything but the tiles.. I dried again before i left for work, couldn't call out today. BF just started new job last thursday. So hopefully it won't be a flood when i get home. Trying to get out early.. hoping its a small problem.

Dec '17

Check your water meter when nobody is using the water, humidifier off too if you have one. A large leak the dial will move, a small once the dial will move.

If it's a concrete floor, and water is seeping up through it, then you have a LOT of water under the slab. That could be a result of poor drainage and the snow melt, or it could be a plumbing leak somewhere, with the water ending up under the slab.

If it's the former, then it's likely an association issue. The first solution would be to attempt to divert water away from the building, through new landscaping and diverting downspouts from the gutters. The second solution would be installing some kind of sump pump.

If it's a plumbing leak, then it could be several things. The most likely is that one of the main water lines coming into the building has broken underground, and that's probably a major/expensive repair job. But it could be the responsibility of the association, or the water company, or one of the other units. (It depends on how things are set up.) It could also be a water leak in the wall somewhere, dripping down through the floor, but that is less likely, when you have a slab floor--you'd usually see water on top of the concrete, rather than seeping up from below.

If you have been there a while, and this is the first time it has happened, then my first guess would be a plumbing leak, rather than poor drainage, or you would likely have had the same problem during big rainstorms. (This is also the time of year when such things happen, because underground pipes freeze and break.)

Depending on your things are set up, I would suggest the following:

1. Talk to your people in the other units, and see if they are experiencing similar problems and/or changes in water pressure.
2. Contact the HOA.
3. Contact whatever company supplies your water.
4. Try to get a plumber out there to investigate. But this is their busiest time, with lots of emergency calls for no heat or frozen pipes. I use Matt Musum Plumbing, at 973-879-1692, but I have no idea what is schedule is like.

In the meantime, you might want to buy/rent a small dehumidifier, to try to keep things dry before mold starts to form.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.