Goat loose on Beatty street

has anyone else seen a brown and white goat loose near the livestock auction? apparently its been loose for a few months?

htownresident227 htownresident227
Dec '17

yes, it has been on the run for awhile now. I have called the police station and they said no one has been able to catch it, and I don't think anyone is trying anymore. I'm concerned for his safety through the winter and also the danger of him getting hit by a car. I would love to see him caught and to live on someone's farm.. I don't think my back yard would be big enough.....

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Dec '17

always on Valentine St on the tracks

zuma
Dec '17

If it is caught... I have a friend who has a goat farm in califon that may be able to take him.

Kerry Kerry
Dec '17

Alstede will also take it. But not Donaldon's.

azgirl azgirl
Dec '17

Maybe someone can round it up with a herding dog!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Dec '17

Maybe a lucky hunter will bag some cabrito this week

I live on West valley view and he was around my house around 430!

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

Kerry...Goats of Anarchy?

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Dec '17

Is anyone experienced in catching this loose goat, then he/she can be transferred to a farm. I myself have zero experience.

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Dec '17

A bucket of goat food might do it.......then rope him up and walk him home lol

littlelu littlelu
Dec '17

Is it a young goat or mature?

happiest girl
Dec '17

he was a very skittish goat and runs from people. Barnyard sanctuary said if anyone in the area has a yard with a fence and gate they would work with them to try and trap the goat.

Dec '17

happiest girl I don't know much about goats but it was fairly large

Dec '17

It's pretty big......I though it was a pony when I first saw it!

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Dec '17

Any sightings today?
Where does it generally hang out?

happiest girl
Dec '17

He hangs out with the deer at the train station parking lot at night

Booster90 Booster90
Dec '17

I think it hangs out near the auction and into the woods up toward buckhill.

Dec '17

OMG when I first saw this thread title, I thought it said Goose on Beatty Street. I guess my brain combined goat and loose. I didn't understand the big deal over a goose. Now that I realize it's a goat, oh my. I hope the poor thing is captured before it becomes a road pizza.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

Yeah, because road pizza doesn't go all that well with rice and peas...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Yes we've seen it on the train tracks with deer, told police and they said they can't catch him.

Icicle Icicle
Dec '17

Just seen this little guy again on west valley view called the police and stated they were ganna send someone out

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

Happy578,
Does the goat only appear by your house 4:30 / 5:00 (as you mentioned the goat's appearance twice at this time)
Someone from a sanctuary is interested in helping but I would think it would be hard to catch the goat in the dark.
If anyone has observed that the goat is at a particular location on a regular basis during the day, please post that information here.
Thanks

happiest girl
Dec '17

Happiest girl- yes the two times ive seen it were only around 430 ish so its getting dark around then. I called the police and they said they were ganna send someone over but dont know if they did or not. I just hope they catch this little guy. Tonight he was in the open field on the left hand side as you start to approach the townhouses on west valley view

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

We live in the area and my daughter and I have been watching our goat friend for a few months now. He has not been hit by a car yet, seems to be eating (not skinny or malnourished looking) and is now traveling with the local herd of deer. We rarely see him alone actually. Why does he need to be caught? Growing up, my neighbors kept goats and they stayed out side year round with only a three sided structure for shelter. There are plenty of abandoned old buildings in the neighborhood woods and he seems to be staying safe somehow.
I appreciate all that the animal rescue places do but why bother an animal who has adapted?

Seenit
Dec '17

Seenit, I totally understand where your coming from and your point hes been surviving for months now just dont want him to get hit by a car or anything :(

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

Any goat updates...i have a bucket of carrots and would like to try to help catch him, where would he likely be around 445 tomorrow?

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

I seen the goat yesterday by the auction house right by the train tracks he was eating grass and the cop was parked right there with his lights on him watching him so not sure if they caught him or not.

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

I hope if they catch him he doesn't go to slaughter. He should get a free pass after escaping. I know a couple of animal sanctuaries who might be able to take him in. Goats of Anarchy in Clifton and http://www.ranchorelaxonj.org/

Natari Natari
Dec '17

My son and I were walking around today looking for the goat...we did not see him. Any suggestions on best time or place? Cam someone upload a pic? Thanks

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

Goatboy- I have seen him alot on West Valley View between 445 and 5 in the field on the left before the townhouses. Hes been always with the deer and then he was by the auction house yesterday. I believe hes brown and white good size goat. Hes always around west valley view and the auction area by the tracks

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

Goatboy ---
What are your intentions?

happiest girl
Dec '17

Why does he need to be caught sounds like he has been accepted in to a herd of deere doesn't seem to be starving he got away let him be free.

Pigpen Pigpen
Dec '17

I just worry when it gets really cold outside

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

Is the goat around on the weekends or is this just during the week? I'm sure he doesn't underpants days of the week but more likely human traffic patterns.

Also if there is enough snow today maybe a good day to catch him, provided it slows him down.

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

Goats eat about everything. If he is caught Barn yard Sanctuary are the best. Keep in mind this is a farm animal the goat will be fine with the cold. I am always going that way have yet to see him. Maybe if people would actually follow the speed limits in those areas he won't get hit. The police can only do so much. They can sit by the auction and hand out speeding tickets. Unfortunately the police are going into their very busy season. Keeping us all safe on the road from holiday drunk drivers.

Outdoor women Outdoor women
Dec '17

Goatboy,
The goat goes to Beattysville on the weekends.

happiest girl
Dec '17

If he's the same one that comes to my yard, I live on Russling Rd and he goes to my sons house which is right down the road on Old Vienna, He's been running for about a year or more. We always see him with about 5-6 deer. He was just in my yard last night with 5-6 deer. This was about 10 p.m.

Cc- what does he look like?

Happy578 Happy578
Dec '17

I've only seen in in moon light and last night by flashlight, but honestly, he reminds me more of a ram. He looks like he needs to be sheared. When my son saw him last winter he said his horns curved around. His dog was tied out barking and the goat/ram lowered his head and pawed at the ground. But he was definitely here last night.

Pic anyone?

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

So is this a goat or a ram...this is important....

Thread name could change, my screen name could change, thoughts of wild goat milk could change...etc.

We need some pictures, this is becoming like the Bigfoot of Hackettstown.

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

Like the old saying if its not broke dont fix it.

Pigpen Pigpen
Dec '17

Only see goat/ram/it at night so not easy to get a picture of this creature lol. But it has been running around here for over a year. Seems to be doing pretty good and enjoying his deer friends :)

Re: Goat loose on Beatty street

This was a while ago when our building camera caught him.

Zuma
Dec '17

Anymore sighting recently? Driving around tonight for Xmas lights and the deer herd was crossing the tracks...no goat!

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

Nope havent seen him at all I also live in West Valley View

Flower689 Flower689
Dec '17

I saw it tonight about 4:30 coming out of the woods across from the livestock auction. It looked pretty healthy.

Clpallamuchy Clpallamuchy
Dec '17

Goats are herding animals. Whoever wants to catch it, might be able to lure it with another goat.

Just saw the goat crossing the station lot and headed to a house on Valentine Street and then I saw him double back a couple minutes later. Based on how fast and how skittish he is, there will be no catching him until he is good and ready to be caught!

Last time I saw the goat was in the tax assessor's office swearing up and down about how he was not going to be able to deduct his property tax anymore.

You did mean old goat, didn't you?

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Dec '17

Was he alone or with the deer herd? Also any recent pictures? This goat has become the big foot of Hackettstown!

Goatboy Goatboy
Dec '17

Did he escape from an old man who kept him tied to a pickup truck and beat him with a hickory stick after drinking "Jimmy Bean" all day?

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Maybe the goat is trying to find and free the other goats at the "Farm by Licon Lighting".

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Dec '17

You build bridges your entire life, you catch one goat and are you known as a bridge builder? No, you're a goat herder... LOL

I saw the goat last night. It was chasing three deer in the station parking lot. He stopped at tracks as the deer fled towards the woods.
I thought it was a coyote at first..
Funny to see a goat chasing them.

Jenna withers Jenna withers
Dec '17

Just seen the goat in the grass by the train tracks by auction house. He is adorable

Merry681 Merry681
Jan '18

We need to name this guy!

I offer Billy The Kid. LOL.

I’ll go with Billy The Kid also. :-)

Lamppost Lamppost
Jan '18

It should be Billy the goat! Lol

Merry681 Merry681
Jan '18

I think we stay with The Beatty St Goat...it got pull and intrigue. Also anyone get a pic of him?

Goatboy Goatboy
Jan '18

How about "The Great White Hope"? That covers everyone who hopes he stays free and everyone who wants him caught. LOL

Found him

Justpassinthru
Jan '18

how is this guy surviving in this extreme cold? do goats burrow?

scottso scottso
Jan '18

I know of no body of water in that area.
???

happiest girl
Jan '18

There is a stream that runs right through there. I know that in this cold it will be frozen but the deer are still all kicking around so there must be water and food near by.

Saw him tonight as well, his coat has certainly thickened up and he is still happily roaming about.

Seenit
Jan '18

Don't know if it's branches or what -- but it sort of looks like there is a person sitting on the ground on the right side of the pic. . I'm not able to enlarge the pic.

happiest girl
Jan '18

It does! However when blown up larger it is just some brush.

LOL
Thanks, Greg.
I was hoping he had some companionship!!
LOL

happiest girl
Jan '18

How about 'Kid Goat' for a name?

And is anyone setting out a bucket of luke warm water for him//her to drink?

bluejayway
Jan '18

My son and I saw the Beatty street goat tonight. He was just relaxing, peacefully chewing his cud and watching the cars go by.

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
Jan '18

Spotted on stiger

Booster90 Booster90
Jan '18

Bad Bad Leroy Brown!!

How about BGee

Janster Janster
Jan '18

The goat has joined a pack of deer. Quite cute to see, actually. I hope he enjoys life out in the wild hahaha!

just the truth just the truth
Jan '18

I think this might be helpful.

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/jimbreuersgoatboyprank

Not sack
Jan '18

Still sticking with "The Beatty St. Goat" aka the sasquatch of Hackettstown

Goatboy Goatboy
Jan '18

If anyone was really serious about catching him, it could be done and in a very humane way. But I think it's better to hear all the stories about Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, the Baddest goat in the whole damn town!

4paws 4paws
Jan '18

Catch him!? Leroy is a legend in the barnyard. All of the animals that come and go at the auction know of him. He is what legends are made of! All of the animals speak in whispers of this mythical critter.The one that could not be tamed, breaker of rules, you know the rebel without a cause type. All of the other animals aspire to be like Leroy.

We are blessed that he chose our little town as his kingdom. Dilly Dilly!!

Dilly Dilly!!! The Beatty St GOAT cannot be tamed! Not only does he make his own rules but Deer have joined him and he is now a pack leader! This is no herd, this band of wild life now roams the streets of Hackettstown...what will they do next? Where will they be next?

Goatboy Goatboy
Jan '18

Oh my gosh this thread of the goat cracks me up!! Haven’t seen him around my house in awhile

Flower681 Flower681
Jan '18

One way to catch a goat(s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILpXxYoyGsk

Courtney
Jan '18

"That Goats' Weird!"
More goat updates...please. This is probably my current favorite Hackettstownian topic

Reported...another loose goat today...the Beatty st Goat has recruited deer, now other goats... when will this stop, what will he do next...

Goatboy Goatboy
Feb '18

Another one!? They're going to attract stray T-Rex to Hackettstown before we know it

A week ago I saw a goat chasing a fawn on Beatty Street going into the train parking area. Thought I must be mistaken and it was some kind of weird dog. Guess not!

Ragdoll
Feb '18

I saw him today near the train station on my way home. I told my husband and he told me that he saw this post so I figured let me hop on.

Stacy Stacy
Feb '18

hi, what goats eat, if anyone wants to lure her in

https://morningchores.com/feeding-goats/

Any more sighting or pics? Haven't seen anything in about a month???

He was sighted 5 days ago from Stacys post.. i have not seem him at all

Flower908 Flower908
Feb '18

Yes, i read the mention a few days ago...any recent pics?

I can't believe Goaty McGoatface was not suggested for a name.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

The Beatty Street Goat is the name...it has a legendary sound to and story's will be told for generations to come...aka the Sasquach of Hackettstown

Goatboy Goatboy
Feb '18

I heard this Beatty Steet Goat will be attending winterfest to score some discarded soup and chilli. And maybe nibble on an ice sculpture.

I heard if the Beatty Street Goat crosses your path you will have good luck for a week.

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
Feb '18

Just saw the goat tonight by the tracks on Beatty St.
poor thing

Hackmom Hackmom
Feb '18

It seems it is rather happy, hackmom. It has made friends with the deer and often hangs out with them.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

Just seen the little guy tonight run from the train parking lot to the woods by the gymnastic place he was with his deer friends! How adorable!!

Lol43 Lol43
Mar '18

On Monday our friend was 'frolicking' (I really have no other word for how they were jumping and dancing) with the younger deer. Mama deer called from the other side of the street and they both ran right across. Let me tell you, a goat is a LOT more noticeable than a deer running, LOL.

Seenit
Mar '18

Haha how cute!! I love it thats right where I live on west valley

Lol43 Lol43
Mar '18

Oh great that the little goat found it's adoptive herd and is doing well ! Spring is near and hopefully they'll be more comfortable out of the snow and cold. I wonder where he sleeps to stay warm.......

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '18

I saw him too last night following his deer family by the train station!! So amazing how he found his place amongst the deer, love it!!

Beatty Billy hanging with his deers! Enjoying a snack at 7:00 tonight, near the train station.

Kurt- i love it!! He is so damn cute. He definitely thinks he is a deer!

Lovebug214 Lovebug214
Mar '18

This goat jumped through a gate during a sale at the Livestock Auction Market during late summer 2017. It was already sold, so technically the goat does have an owner. No one was able to catch it on the day of the sale, and police were told to stop calling the market when they saw it. They were given the phone number of the person who bought the goat as a contact. It was my understanding that they were told to shoot the animal if it became a problem.

I just saw the goat last night on the railroad tracks by the auction market with some deer. It has grown quite a lot since it escaped and seems to be doing well. For those concerned about the cold, many farm animals live outside year round and are already accustomed to this weather. They are not pets that know what going inside to your living room heat feels like every night.

I have several connections with people who work at the market, which is how I know this information, so I decided that I would share what I knew about the goat. It is rather funny reading some of your hypotheses about this goat, and I enjoy seeing the interest so many of you have in following it's story and whereabouts.

Insider Source
Mar '18

Saw him lastnight with his deer friends.. how adorable

Sunshine908 Sunshine908
Apr '18

Looks as if the deer have welcomed him into their herd and are protecting him...I love it!!!

joyful joyful
Apr '18

Friends now, but what will he do the first day of deer season. Wear a sign that says. "I AM NOT WITH THEM" Lol.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '18

let's be clear... the Beatty st Goat protects the deer!

Goatboy Goatboy
Apr '18

Saw the goat last night on our deck stairs with some deer!

goatsighting goatsighting
Apr '18

Goatsighting- where do you live?? Thats so funny!!

Lilly908 Lilly908
Apr '18

I told my mom i saw this goat running around the livestock auction. my best friend was in tears as he was not used to seeing this type of action.

yourFIBERguy yourFIBERguy
Apr '18

I saw the goat and it’s deer pals for the first time in the wooded lot on the corner of Patricia and West Valley View about an hour and a half ago

Mrs. Resident Mrs. Resident
Apr '18

My son saw the goat on our deck! about 1:30 the other night. There were deer in the yard waiting for him lol We live on W Valley View

moby
Apr '18

I was coming home this week around 745pm and the goat was in the open field on west valley View before you hit the townhouses. He was with his deer friends and he was playing with the one chasing him around and trotting and jumping up and down. It was the funniest and cutest thing I have ever seen I wish I got a video!!

Love214 Love214
Apr '18

any recent sighting? pictures?

Goatboy Goatboy
May '18

We have been watching this goat since last summer and we’re happy to see he/she has an adopted family.

The last time I saw the goat I was walking my dog at the retention pond on west valley view where I caught this video on April 12, 2018.

To me this goat represents rugged independence, freedom and grit. Each day she lives free is better than all of the days spent locked up in a pen.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0x5VaUrzJIn6CZ

that video, aww!! I Love this goat!!

colem11
May '18

Thanks for posting - what a great video.............

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

That video is adorable, thanks for sharing. Wish I could him/her by my house to eat my weeds, just got over a bad case of poison ivy.

Happygirl Happygirl
May '18

I saw the goat this morning on West Valley View; it was alone. It ran away before I could get a picture or video, but it was certainly a sight to see!

TownFriend
Jun '18

so glad it's still romping out there

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

it's been weeks since the last update, any signs?

Goatboy Goatboy
Jul '18

Absolutely the goat is with his deer family. We saw him last weekend on stiger st with his family. SO CUTE!!!

Curious Curious
Jul '18

A neighbor spotted him on West Valley View yesterday! :-)

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Jul '18

great, any pics or video of him?

Goatboy Goatboy
Jul '18

Glad the goat has company, but will it be able to survive the winter? Seeing it with his/her deer family must’ve been absolutely adorable! If someone does catch him on video, with his family, send it to NatGeo. They will air it, and I’d love to see it.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '18

Guilty-remnant he survived all last winter! He had a pretty good coat on during the winter, I think he will be ok!

Happy718 Happy718
Jul '18

This is not my pic. The photo posted online by Maria Cataline DiGiovanni‎

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Jul '18

We can learn a lot from deer

Love how the deer photo bombed the pic.....lol

littlelu littlelu
Jul '18

This was from a few weeks ago!

Carissa Carissa
Jul '18

Awe, what a lovely goat BSG has grown up to be! So glad to see he's still around with his family.

Guess who I saw today!! The mysterious Wild Goat that escaped from the auction market last year. So glad to see he made it through this past horrendous winter. He’s packed with some deer. Spotted him in the parking lot across from the auction market, then he trotted across the street towards the tracks to meet up with about 3 deer. He’s not spooked at all. He’s quite calm for being a street goat.

Just saw him again tonight

Heres another shot

Just saw him by the tracks he is huge people must be feeding him I wish I got a picture that is one strong goat to survive Last Winter though

Kelly
Jul '18

Tuesday 9pm

I saw a Fawn and Doe going across the road by Railroad Tracks and Stiger St near Farmers Market followed by this Goat !! One happy family !!

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Jul '18

I have sat in the Train Station Parking lot to get a view of the goat on a few occasions. What bothers me is when people in cars start to chase the Deer and the Goat and they run out into Valentine Street or Beatty St. That will cause an accident because of their stupidity and possibly kill the Deer or the Goat. I plan on taking down license plate numbers and car descriptions with pictures and will turn these over to the Division of Fish and Game so the owners can be charged for chasing wildlife with their cars.

4paws 4paws
Aug '18

Wonder if goat is daddy?

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Aug '18

Thank you 4paws. I have seen that as well. We need more animal advocates like you.

pampurr pampurr
Aug '18

Was watching news 12 nj and they had a segment on him! He made the news!!

Heyflower634 Heyflower634
Aug '18

I'm so glad to hear he's still truckin'!

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Aug '18

Heres the video!!

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/38810537/escaped-goat-loose-in-hackettstown-for-over-a-year

Heyflower634 Heyflower634
Aug '18

Tonight we were doing our casual night walk through Hackettstown (Beatty St.) When my boyfriend was talking about the Infamous Fred, when a family of deer ran across the street and GUESS WHAT!? Out popped Fred!!! It was the coolest sight to see. He is so big and fluffy! And was protecting his family of deer! Definitely wish I grabbed a picture for all of you!

Francesca Francesca
Aug '18

It could happen!!

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2018/08/03/goats-invade-boise-neighborhood/37295345/

maja2 maja2
Aug '18

Beatty Billy wandering across Stiger earlier tonight. I have to say, this guy smells like he needs a really good bath!

Am hearing through the grapevine that this past Wednesday evening about 75 goats and sheep got loose at the Livestock Auction Market and were running through the area of Beatty Street. Police and Good Samiritans were able to capture about 60 or so of them last report. Maybe Fred the Goat and deer friends are adding a few more to their family??

joyful joyful
Aug '18

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/dozens-sheep-goats-break-free-hackettstown-auction

No grapevine needed. Happened last night.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

I know, Jim...was just being mysterious (or at least trying!)....

joyful joyful
Aug '18

Hackettstown will now have a herd of wild goats!!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

Great story - good for them - "The Great Escape, Part Deux"

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '18

We had a herd of sheep wander into our yard one night a while back. We called a few local farmers and found their owner; he said they'll be okay and they were. He came by and got them the next morning.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '18

"good for them"

Won't be so good when they start multiplying and end up getting killed in the road......

I love the picture, in the article JimL provided, of the sheep looking at the train.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

I think he was looking for the next train out of hackettstown to take it on the lam.

Denis Denis
Aug '18

Sitting in the Drs. office this morning in Phillipsburg and saw the big escape of the goats and sheep last night made television today...

joyful joyful
Aug '18

I think this is the second time in a week that Hackettstown "animal life " was featured on the TV news.... First for Freddy, and now for the Freddy wanna-be's!

Spring fever Spring fever
Aug '18

News Update: Fred the Goat was seen this afternoon at the Hackettstown Livestock Market and looked to be trying to gain access there.. Could he have been the culprit last night that freed the 75 goats and sheep? And the plot thickens......

joyful joyful
Aug '18

I saw Fred yesterday around 4 across from the co-op. Was alone and layed down for awhile in the shade right near me. Called police and they said it was Fred. He seems fine

Dogcookie Lady
Aug '18

Joyful I hope he was. These goats are both heart warming and humorous at the same time. They dont want there kind slaughtered. Its so cute.

Curious Curious
Aug '18

Maybe they could help clear invasive plants for the town and successional growth areas!

kepa
Aug '18

Yo....Fred! Get the heck away from the livestock auction. There’s humans there, that have killed and ate relatives of yours. This is no legend. Ask any of your friends there. It’s real. Has been for a long time. I’m sure some of your elders, like the deer, have already warned you, but obviously you’re a baa..aaa..aaa.....aaad listener. And a photo of you, standing next to the building, doesn’t help your situation. Good job on the jail break, for your friends, though....now....git!

Aug '18

Channel 7 TV News just had the 'round up' story and photos on it's news.

Aug '18

Dogcookie Lady, so it sounds like the police are not interested in bringing Fred back to the auction house, but they are still working on rounding up the latest escapees? That's pretty funny, oh, that's just Fred, he's fine. Lol.

Lynnada Lynnada
Aug '18

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/10/more-than-75-goats-and-sheep-escape-from-auction-and-roam-streets.html

more on the sheep & goats.

wbeleno wbeleno
Aug '18

Since different animals can mate and produce offspring (a donkey and zebra, etc., and all these new types of sea creatures, etc.), I wonder if Fred the Goat has a girlfriend in one of the Deer and if they can have little babies (called a Geer or a Doat ;-)

'different' baby animals may be roaming in a few months...... :-)

Aug '18

omg Geer or Doat - love it

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '18

Oh my gosh, it's possible for a goat and deer to have offspring!!! Here are photos:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1301&bih=717&ei=iShuW8bRMtC-ggfHjIHgCg&q=deer%E2%80%93goat+hybrid&oq=deer%E2%80%93goat+hybrid&gs_l=psy-ab.3...20978.21594.0.23568.4.4.0.0.0.0.102.289.3j1.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.7gon7pQRT_I

If Fred has a Deer girlfriend, I heard her name may be Ethel. ;-)

Aug '18

Someone has created a Fred the goat Facebook page!!

https://m.facebook.com/Fred-The-Hackettstown-Goat-251655598990458/

Jonny d Jonny d
Aug '18

The NY Post wrote an article on our favorite hooved troublemaker:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/rogue-goat-may-have-helped-dozens-of-farm-animals-escape/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

Freedom Freedom
Aug '18

They got the towns mixed up...last line reads it happened in Hackensack instead of Hackettstown.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '18

Any sightings in the last 2 days? Any new pictures?

somewhere I saw (maybe on WRNJ Facebook site) Fred by the gates of the auction house, the night before the others escaped.

Aug '18

Maybe a couple of the goats made it to Brooklyn . . .

https://abc7ny.com/baaaad-boys-goats-wandering-subway-tracks-in-brooklyn/4009100/

Wondering pig in htown just made the national news - just heard on 1010 wins and cbs news.

I guess the pig found the escape hatch or someone out there is freeing the farm animals?

Htown newbie Htown newbie
Aug '18

All animals should be free. Dogs have no choice now due to breeding. Too domesticated. Bird in a cage? Sad.

maja2 maja2
Aug '18

Any truth to the FB post that Fred has been caught and headed to the slaughterhouse? I hope not, sad way to end the story if it is.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '18

Posted on FB of friend -
I believe my friend - he stated slaughter house
and I want to know WHY after a year he was caught & taken away

I was very upset yesterday, between this and the fact that I could not get onto HL to see if there was anything we could have done to help Fred!

wendy

wbeleno wbeleno
Aug '18

I hope this is not true. Is there any way we can find out if this is true?

Wendy, how did your friend find out this information?

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

Fred the Goat already has a fan club. I have a shirt that I wear for fun that says I love Fred the Hackettstown Goat with his picture on it. Could not believe it when I saw on Facebook last night that he had been captured and was on his way to a Slaughter House in Brooklyn, NY. He has lived in the wild for over a year now and been adopted by a herd of deer. The Mayor called the Livestock Auction Market last evening in hopes of intervening and saving his life but no answer there. Hopefully we will have better news about this today...

joyful joyful
Aug '18

This is awful news! Why would somebody do that to him!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

The person who did this should go to the slaughter house too!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

Nothing has been confirmed regarding Fred the goat at this point.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

This seems to be rumor at the moment. I don't see any main stream media reporting this, and it WOULD be a big deal

RonJohn RonJohn
Aug '18

Sad day in town.... #Fredforever.....LOL

FREE FRED!

Amanda Amanda
Aug '18

Might make sense to ask the Animal Control officer. I am sure he will know about it.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '18

I "herd" that Fred just needed some time away from his "dear" friends. I got this pic off of his FB page.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

So his getting caught is fake Facebook news? Or nobody knows?

maja2 maja2
Aug '18

This is what I saw on fb

Amanda Amanda
Aug '18

From Hackettstown Police facebook page just now:

**Update on Fred The Goat**

We wanted to let everyone know in the community that Fred the goat, who escaped the Hackettstown Livestock Cooperative Auction Market over a year ago, was captured on Tuesday. The goat was taken to the original buyer's farm.

A piglet that escaped the auction market on August 21 is still on the loose. What name would you give the piglet?"

RonJohn RonJohn
Aug '18

Not if the buyer is a slaughterhouse.

maja2 maja2
Aug '18

Well, that’s better than the slaughter house!!!

I take back my comment about the person going to the slaughter house! ;-)

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

RonJohn- I think a cute name for the piglet could be Dee Licious.

I hope Fred lives a happy life on the farm. Hopefully it's not the "farm" where many of our pets went to live when we were young.

Was he taken away with cuffs on?

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '18

I heard he was tied to the bed of a pickup truck with a 3-foot rope. He was captured after being button-hooked with a football by Roger Staubach... who had been on his way to the big Ragoo Festival.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

can someone please call the hack. police dept. and ask if the "farm" is where it's a slaughterhouse, or a plain ol' farm where animals LIVE ? .......

Aug '18

https://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2018/08/goat_on_the_lam_for_a_year_finally_nabbed.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '18

Do you need their number? Besides, why would the HPD care? The goat is back with whomever bought him legally at auction last year. His fate is what it was last year. If you don't care to know what that fate is, I suggest not asking too many questions. And animals are killed for meat on "plain ol' farms" every day.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

The police were kind enough to provide the public with an update as the town was getting so many calls about the goat. They were not involved in the capture. The goat is back with the owner that purchased him last year.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Hackresident...who is "someone" .Maybe you could call.

Everyone wants "someone" to take care of things.

happycamper happycamper
Aug '18

Hackresident - Seriously? I think the police have enough to do without continuing to take phone calls regarding a goat.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

so the goat will be at your local supermarket?

would be nice to confirm not that !!

Aug '18

This makes me SO sad. That goat has lived with his "family" of deer for a year. He's going to be so depressed now. Can't the original owner be paid off and they can get a new goat that isn't used to living in the wild? This is so sad.

Ok, wait... from this article:
https://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/fred-goat-captured-hackettstown

comes this statement:

HACKETTSTOWN, NJ — It was a good year for one Hackettstown goat, but it has officially come to an end: Fred was captured on Tuesday, police said.

Fred made a break for it over a year ago when he was set to go to auction at the Hackettstown Livestock Cooperative Auction Market. Police say he was taken back to the original owner's farm.

SO.... he was taken back to the ORIGINAL owner's farm? It says he was "set" to go to auction. Was he actually BOUGHT at auction? I'm lost.

RonJohn RonJohn
Aug '18

Hackettstown Patch: Fred, the Hackettstown Goat went back to the original owner's farm. If you would like to make a comment about Fred...contact is katie.kausch@patch.com

joyful joyful
Aug '18

Seems pretty petty to me to capture the goat after all this time, and his being able to adapt to his surroundings in the wild. It's a $100 goat, not a thoroughbred horse. Hope he didn't end up at the slaughterhouse. He could be a mascot for the football team.

Denis Denis
Aug '18

$100 means a lot to some farmers.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

I read it as the goat escaped prior to being sold at the auction. Therefore he went back to the owner who had brought him to the auction the day he escaped. The $100 value must have been placed on him as a pre-auction estimate if you will. Theoretically the owner may choose to bring Fred to the auction again in the future, who knows. However now that he is a Kardashian type of celebrity, his value may be increased.

Fred's Fanclub continues. Check HL Classifieds ...Fred the Hackettstown Goat t-shirts are available for sale..I have one and will wear it proudly.

joyful joyful
Aug '18

G-d help us all if the owner of Fred if he puts him up for slaughter! !!!!! we all fell in love with him, befriending the herd of deer for a year.

Also, how healthy could he be after a year in the wild w/o his usual food? Owner, please don't sell him for food - horrible!

Aug '18

I read an animal sanctuary offered to take Fred. Watch out for Fred they might run him through the auction again. A shame he has been caught. Why couldn’t they just let him run with his friends. He was not hurting anyone.

pampurr pampurr
Aug '18

One could always attend the auction if it comes to pass and purchase Fred.

Read they just caught Fred- I hope he is not auctioned off for a kill.

Maybe we can all chip in to buy Fred and release him back into the wild!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

yes, I was just going to post that someone on this thread s aid he/she would take Fred in if caught.

if you are reading this, can't you contact the Hack. Police to get the number or name of the owner of Fred, call him, and purchase him for the $100 that he would auction him off for slaughter for?

Aug '18

The auction would have the name of the consigner of Fred. I am really shocked after all this time he was free and doing quite well even during the winter months they would even consider this as his fate. The sanctuary wanted to take in some sheep that were loose.

pampurr pampurr
Aug '18

Hackresident, if it bothers you so much, scrape up the $100 and buy the goat yourself. Stop projecting onto others.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

I think the owner of the auction house really believes that Fred was responsible for the most recent escape and sees him as an agitator who would be a continuing thorn in his side. Therefore, he had to go...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

What a sad day for fairy tales and stories of childhood fantasies, this Goat was a Legend. The Beatty St Goat, AKA the Sasquatch of Hackettstown...you will be missed

Goat Boy Goat Boy
Aug '18

It's a goat, people! As fun as the story was to follow over the past year, these animals are raised for the purpose of slaughter. I love animals, but understand that raising animals for meat is a business. This is the sole purpose of the auction.

Disclaimer: I have never, nor would I ever eat goat. Especially not Fred. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

I love Fred as much as the next person (and probably more than others), but did any of us actually believe that a goat would be left to run free for the rest of his natural life in downtown Hackettstown? It was a matter of time. If anyone buys him and turns him loose, he'd just end up being captured again. It was adorable that he ran with the deer for so long, but a deer he is not.

I hope he is given a reprieve from slaughter if that was his fate, and that he lives a long happy life as the domesticated goat that he is. Good luck, Fred!

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '18

TO: Yeah Right, you buy him and put him in your house.

i'm trying to help the situation, stop being a nuisance, it's a bad situation right now. you weren't even on here this whole thread, so your nasty comments are not warranted!

read the whole thread and there were 1-2 people who said they'd take him in.

Aug '18

“f you are reading this, can't you contact the Hack. Police to get the number or name of the owner of Fred, call him, and purchase him for the $100 that he would auction him off for slaughter for?”

Again please don’t waste our police dept’s time calling in about a goat. They are not involved

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Exactly, Jim.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

Hackresident: A hack you are for sure. How about directing your misguided energy into helping humans instead of worrying about livestock?

Who is this a bad situation for, exactly? Again, you’re projecting.

I’ve actually been reading the thread from the start, since I apparently need to check in with the forum patrol...

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

We need to save Fred and have him host the Spring Festival! Not since Lil Sebastian has a farm animal captured the hearts of an entire community. T-shirts will be made, and songs will be sung!

4.1 percenter 4.1 percenter
Aug '18

That goat is so tough the farm will probably use it to breed or sell it for ten times it' s worth to the bleeding hearts . I wouldn't wear a shirt saying you love a goat outside of town unless you want be be confused with someone who endorses bestiality . Why didn't someone think of commercializing the Hookerman or Tillie Smith ? You know real legends and not a farm animal that ran loose for ten months with no real efforts to capture it .The bar for local legends is pretty low these days .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Aug '18

Joyful, I sent an email to Katie. I'm more than willing to purchase Fred to let him be free and happy with his deer family.

I hope she gets back to me.

I respect farming and live stock, but this is one special goat.

Hackresident, I appreciate your concern, but why are you asking people to do this and that when you could easily do it?

Joyful, concerning the Fred shirts Deb is selling... I sent her an email asking if some of the proceeds would be going towards freeing Fred.

Not begrudging opportunity and profit, however I think Fred (The Star) should benefit as well. Lol!

positive positive
Aug '18

Plus one positive :)
#SaveFred

Jacqui Jacqui
Aug '18

There seems to be a few people t hat have nothing to do but complain and don't hold a 8-5 job. I can suggest someone inquiring with someone that knows (the police dept.) that posted on their own website i was told, that Fred was caught and knows, about details of anyone that wants to buy him/put him on their farm or property. that's not immoral or unusual.

I hope the reader that posted she would take him (on a farm, I believe).

Aug '18

positive, it's illegal to intentionally abandon a domesticated animal into the wild... which is exactly what you are proposing to do. You think a feral goat is cute; what about people who think feral cats are cute? Should they be allowed to abandon cats in your neighborhood?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

Hey Hackresident, defensive much?

So now you’re checking badge swipes to see when we go to work? Since you think you know so much about us, I’ll conjecture you’re armchair quarterbacking this while stuffing your face with bonbons, waiting for the next big item to come up for sale on QVC.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

Hackresident again please stop suggesting people contact our police dept. they have more important things to do then take calls about a goat.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Fred had a great run! A year long sabbatical. And male goats have a STRONG odor, you do not want this guy in your back yard

ianimal- I agree with the auction market, I think Fred might have released the sheep!

Another note- the Hackettstown auction market is moving fewer and fewer animals through. Not many local farmers anymore and some are taking their livestock to the New Holland PA auction to get a better price.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '18

Fred Fan Club T-shirts are being made to support our love for a living legend, not the same as ‘Tillie’ or ‘The Hookerman’. We all personally experienced this legend. I hand ironed out a shirt using my own photo of Fred, I wore it and many people asked where I got it. Then I was asked, make one for me, and I’ll pay you for it. Thinking more Fred supporters would be interested, I took my own money and purchased a heat press machine, all the supplies needed, transfer papers, inks, etc. I spent hours on designing the right shirt. I’m not selling to make a profit. I’m selling to offer others the opportunity to sport around in a shirt to show their support and have a memoir of their being part of Fred’s Legend, as well as to recuperate my investment, which costed me more than 5 Goat purchases. I’m sure I won’t even sell enough to break even, but I will be happy knowing I am giving people an opportunity to be part of Fred’s Fan Club and wear their shirt proudly. If the opportunity arises that Fred can be purchased and be transferred to a caring farm or sanctuary, I definitely will contribute. Fred should not be slaughtered but at the same time he should not be roaming around in survival mode, wondering where his next meal would come from nor should he face winter again. Goats don’t like rain, snow or anything wet. Their coat is not leather like deer or bear. They absorb the wet and they get cold easily. I’m sure he froze last winter and I would hate to see him go through that again. If it’s not too late, I’m in favor of rescuing him to be transferred to a safe place. But he might be safe now. We just need to find out and take the proper steps. Insulting and slandering other HL members is not mature nor does it do anything but create hate. Let’s all find that unconditional love for each other, as the deer did for Fred and find a peaceful solution or accept the end result knowing we all tried peacefully.

Thank you for that post, Deb. You explained very well how most of us feel about Fred the Goat. I have been in Fred the Goat's Fan Club and have been part of the people looking this past year for his sightings around town. We all want only the best for Fred who has now become a Legend in our town...Wishing you the best with the sale of your Fred the Goat shirts. I know I will wear mine proudly!!

joyful joyful
Aug '18

A friend informed me that she may be able to find a safe place for Fred. We just need to find out where he is.

positive positive
Aug '18

I e mailed someone at The Patch about Fred’s whereabouts. Here is the response....

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

Is this where we stand up and start the 80s movie clap?

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

Like most things, this has really gone too far. T-shirts and fan clubs? What's next a GoFundMe? My goodness! There are veterans who are homeless and children going to bed at night hungry, but a goat is of utmost concern. SMH

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

Jesse, I got a similar email from Katie. I hope they can locate him.

positive positive
Aug '18

Calico, just because ppl are concerned about a goat does not mean they are not concerned about other things as well. I donate to veteran orginizations, the food pantry, and when my kids have birthday parties we ask for donations to orginizations instead of gifts. Just saying, you can’t know everything about everyone based on info from a forum.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

I say let those who want to support Fred, support Fred. Those who don't agree should stop remarking on whether their support for Fred is the most important thing out there. Who cares..................let people do their thing. They are not hurting anyone. Everyone can't solve the world's problems but some might be able to help Fred. Or may be just may be they could do both.

I hope Fred finds his sanctuary!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Aug '18

“Just saying, you can’t know everything about everyone based on info from a forum.”

Great comment.

Oh, and Free Fred!

justintime justintime
Aug '18

Lol yea cute story and all, but I agree this seems silly. I get the fact that he was captured after a year......but doesn't the Auction take place EVERY week? The animals are bought and sold, right? Nobody would have even known or cared about what happened to Fred that day had he not escaped.

What I am most amazed about is how much time people have on their hands.

Joyful, I sent you a pm.

Katie.. who is with The Patch is looking into finding the owner. Does anyone have any other ideas on locating the owner?

I would think time is of the essence at this point.

positive positive
Aug '18

Thank you Deb, for your comments of care and support.

And the other readers who have been positively commenting on this for the last 10 months.

Jessie, Great idea to contact the writer of the article, Katie! I wish I thought of that--I figured the police knew where Fred IS. so much for trying to give suggestions around a minority of this Forum.

Aug '18

This is terrible. Fred has lived in freedom for a long time and to kidnap him is heinous.

happiest girl
Aug '18

I'm sure you are all well meaning and generous people. I meant no disrespect in that sense. My point was, where are the threads of outrage regarding homeless vets and hungry kids?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

If those groups want attention, they should start hanging out with deer...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

Calico you could start that thread.

Aug '18

Calico.....perhaps you should start one then.

This thread is about a Goat and therefore let these people comment and do as they please, whether we agree or not.

While I understand what you are trying to say....btw, I support both and many others, I just don't think it belongs in this thread.

countryside
Aug '18

the #1 main goal now is to find the owner of Fred !

if 1 person contacts the police, this may be only 1 of 3 ways to find out if a farm has him or a person that's going to auction: police, auction house and writer of the patch article in my thoughts are the only ones that would know where Fred went to after he was caught@+!

the ones who have a farm, perhaps they can think of ways and act upon it ASAP.

good luck to us all who have followed this story and been positive. you will remember this story along with our kids, for the rest of our lives, it's a part of Hackettstown now of a Mascot Goat that lived with his newfound Deer friends for almost a year!: LET'S HOPE IT ENDS WITH SOMEONE FINDING FRED AND LETTING HIM LIVE ON SOME SORT OF FARM, ASAP.

Aug '18

again stop telling people to call the police regarding the goat.... man I sound like a broken record

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Why would you call the police? They literally have nothing to do with the goat! As for the auction, it would be bad practice to give away the names and contact information of clients.

I am heartbroken our goat has been caught but move along! Donate some cash to Barnyard Sanctuary or another farm animal rescue of your choice and sleep peacefully.

The Tshirts were cute but seriously, you bought all that equipment for what purpose?

Seenit
Aug '18

Man I loved the story of Fred. In our society though animals you have are seen as property, as much as I don't like it, and you all as well, get off your ass and get the laws changed. I do see the purpose those animals have in our daily lives when animals have to become something the populous uses. If Fred gets to live on a sanctuary for his resolve good for him. If he feeds 4 families good for him and them. Hackresident, really I might see eye to eye with police but come on telling the masses to call em bout a goat is trolling. You seem to be trying to only get others to do what you seem is right. Do it yourself.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Aug '18

i'm not adopting the goat. the farms or sanctuaries that want to---there's THEIR chance to order An Incident Report to see who owns "Fred"!!!!!! Smart idea, not out of the question to get for those who think outside of the box, who want to adopt him, but first they have to find out where he is, because he winds up in Shop Rite.

or someone here, outside of the nasty ones, who don't have work 8-5 work schedule who can get the Report themselves to pass on the information through this Forum.

keep posting nasty replies and this thread will be deleted by the Moderator.

Aug '18

This thread has become something downright comical. Plans are being hatched (Please do not call the police!), T-shirt making equipment is being purchased, people feeling all self-righteous and good... Next up: A concert benefit to free Fred where everyone can sing “Kumbaya”.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

Wow! Incident report? What was the incident? The goat was loose, the goat was caught. No incident. BTW, as far as I know.....goat meat is not sold at Shop Rite.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

Comical has now become delusional.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

You know, if you don’t like this post you can just stop reading it. If it annoys you, you have the choice to not open it. You can move on to other things that are more important to you. No reason to keep getting your knickers in a knot or to get snarky with people. Just stop opening the thread.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '18

OMG I can’t..... there is no incident report. The police were not involved and there was no incident to report. The police Sargent made 1 call to the auction house to get confirmation that the goat was caught. Were told yes and that it went back to the original owner. That is all the involvement and knowledge the police have.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

A statue would be nice!

John C John C
Aug '18

Someone should file suit against the auction house and the Hackettstown Police Department on behalf of Fred. Maybe LITIGATION will get them to do the right thing....

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

Anyone going to reach out to comedian Jim Breuer for a comment? He was known for his Goat Boy act on SNL. That should qualify him as a spokesperson for The Cause. Maybe he has some words to say about Fred the Goat? Help sell some fan club T-shirts n’ all...

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

Get Adam Sandler involved, too... maybe Fred could do the live action version of Sandler's greatest bit ever on Netflix. If they'll give David Spade money, anything is possible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsIgOj68G1Y

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

So Jim L. inquired with one of the Dept. office worker?/police? at Hack. Police Dept.?!? you made such a big circus out of my suggestions, and you called the Dept. in the end, or are you ridiculing someone again?

"OMG I can’t..... there is no incident report. The police were not involved and there was no incident to report. The police Sargent made 1 call to the auction house to get confirmation that the goat was caught. Were told yes and that it went back to the original owner. That is all the involvement and knowledge the police have."

Jim L ✉"

Aug '18

This one might be better. Just put it on the fence by the auction market.

John C John C
Aug '18

Here's an idea for a t-shirt design... if you're going out and buying the equipment anyway, it's probably better to have more than one option for people to choose from...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

I didn’t call anyone hack

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

I like that second statue although the face looks a little like ALF’s...

What shall we call it: “Fred’s Last Laugh, “Fred in Repose”, or “Fred. Leader of the People”?

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

If you were serious, you'd organize a 'bring back Fred' protest in front of the auction market...

Tuesday is when they auction off the goats. Sanctuary was at the slaughter auction yesterday inquiring the whereabouts of Fred. Animal advocates might just do that..lol.

pampurr pampurr
Aug '18

Jesse - This thread is like a train wreck at this point. I can't look away. LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

how about a theme song
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zFrz7sBWbyw

Here's a thought.....if you really cared about the animals at the auction, maybe you should be there every Tuesday.

wowser
Aug '18

It looks as though Fred has become Hackettstown's GOAT (Greatest of all Time) goat!

I mean what other goat in Hackettstown history has made such an impact on local and even NY news, generated T-Shirts, intensive blog controversy, hung with a local deer herd and grazed for so long within a stone's throw of where he'd escaped from, all the while dealing with curiosity seekers and goat stalkers?

Maybe he deserves statuary, especially because John C's ideas have me laughing. Maybe that first statue could go up towards the West end of town, like a counterpoint or balance to Billy Yank on the East end. It would represent freedom in general and a rebellious spirit in particular. I think a perfect spot would be right in front of the CVS on the corner of their lot at the intersection of RT. 46 and Stiger, which would be the perfect spot I think.

Now for someone to take John C's picture and affix it to a gofundme to fund the statue, lobbying the town, buying a little corner area from CVS or getting the town to eminent domain it. I think Jim L may back that, as long as people don't bug the HPD for info on non-existant reports, etc. Better yet perhaps, make two statues together as one, with a statue of Tillie Smith (from the last and only known picture taken of her) feeding Fred the goat. We could honor two Hackettstown icons at once! ;-D

I don't think there's an emoji for what I just wrote, so that will have to do.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

The squeakiest wheels seem to be the ones complaining about people who have shown concern for his fate. Whatever your thoughts he did become a fun local urban legend, and clearly smarter than your average goat. Unfortunately I'm pretty confident if he was still alive we would all know about it.

Denis Denis
Aug '18

Those are my thoughts exactly, Denis. I guess some things you are better off not knowing about...

joyful joyful
Aug '18

Spoke with Suzanne McGold with Eyewitness News, she is going to look into finding Fred.

If anyone would like to contact her, you can reach her at 201-372-0325

Cross your fingers guys

positive positive
Aug '18

You know, just a thought, I'd think that the more calls Suzanne gets..the more of a priority this story will become.

positive positive
Aug '18

So what happens when you guys find the guy that bought the goat, and he says you can have him for 10 grand?

Booster90 Booster90
Aug '18

Or even better, you get a hold of whoever had him and says he already put him down so he doesn't escape again!

Irishresq Irishresq
Aug '18

Hircine Social Justice Warriors.... UNITE!!!!!!

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

280+ comments about a goat... good grief...

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

Ang, I received your emails, but for some reason I can't respond back..won't go through.

What's your screen name? I will be able to send an email to you through the envelope.

positive positive
Aug '18

Found him!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '18

Goat Head stew anyone?

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

LOL Mark Mc, best post on this thread.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '18

Mark Mc.- I'll bring the Chianti

auntiel auntiel
Aug '18

Hahahaha! Thanks for the laughs!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

Phil D: Closest I can get of a statue wit Fred and Tillie. I think it would look nice in front of CVS.

John C John C
Aug '18

OMG- that's perfect John C. I pledge $1000.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '18

OMG John C!

While that's more a small sheep than big old Fred, that's definitely not our modest heroine Tillie as in my picture. It IS however funny as anything and would be the newest town scandal, like her rape and murder was. (Although actually it was more the James Titus trial that brought the scandal to the NYC papers, as we all know.)

I thought this pic interpreted in statue form with one hand holding feed and the first pic you put up next to her eating it would be perfect! The combo you posted though...priceless for the humor of it all anyway!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

Where is goat meat sold? I've never seen it anywhere, nor have I ever heard of anyone eating goat meat.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Aug '18

Goat is very common with Indian and Caribbean food....I had it in Jamaica I liked it,taste like chicken Loll.

I vote use of the funds from the T-shirt sales to commission the statues.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

I thought Indian food was vegetarian. We have Indian friends who are strict vegetarians.

Aug '18

Not all Indian food is vegetarian because not all Indians are vegetarians. Hindus are (mostly; I know Hindus who are situational vegetarians). A third of India is Muslim and they may or may not be vegetarian. And about 10% of Indians are Christian who also may or may not be vegetarian.

India is a big country, with a lot of different ethnicities and traditions.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '18

Goat is widely served across the Caribbean. When I was in Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic), we went on a tour with a local guide who took us to a literal shack on the side of a mountain overlooking a waterfall. The shack served goat as the main meat. They also served a wide variety of tuber vegetables. I didn't have the goat, but I had the vegetables and they were delicious.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

There was (still may be) a Caribbean restaurant in Newton that had a buffet. The specialty was goat stew. That was the first I'd seen goat meat in a dish. I had naively believed they were not meat animals before that, and were raised for dairy and fiber.

That tour sounds fascinating, Calico. The Caribbean has a ton of tuber and other vegetables, herbs and fruits that we don't get here. A co-worker of mine is from Trinidad and I love hearing about her family's gardens and recipes . . . so many of the things she describes don't have an exact match here and I am so curious about them.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '18

Goat is the most popular meat worldwide......

Getting caught may have saved him from some being a Muslim dinner

This (was) a positive thread about a unique relationship of deer with goat, for almost a year. Then Fred got caught this week, and those on t his thread that have been commenting for 10 months are trying to locate him.

Why are we talking in depth about goat meat? some of you are disgusting, even the supposed animal lovers on this thread.

And to those certain someones on this thread who don't know how to do a search for a You Tube link, as mentioned above, this music video theme is about those that live life "Online", here is the funny, clever and true Brad Paisley video of a song called "Online" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6iAjEv9dQ

if it fits, it's for you.

Sep '18

"Why are we talking in depth about goat meat? some of you are disgusting, even the supposed animal lovers on this thread."

Seriously? It's a thread about a goat. If it were about a cow, I'm sure there would have been all kinds of talk about burgers, prime rib, meatloaf etc.

Goats, cows, pigs, chickens, turkey etc. are food animals. People eat them, and most of those people who do, are animal lovers. For Pete's sake we aren't talking about eating the family dog. Actually, in some countries they love dog meat.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

... and legend has it some ethnic food restaurants serve cat.

YeahRight YeahRight
Sep '18

"unique relationship of deer with goat"

Is that some kind of stew?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '18

Dogs are food animals to many people, too. I hope you would not get mad if someone talked about wanting to make a stew out of your dog. Somehow I bet you would, though.

EuphoriaMourning EuphoriaMourning
Sep '18

one last word to the kill -joys:

This story is already on the world wide web as a story. ABC News out of New York has it now and again to locate where "Fred" is, and it may be updated on that TV News still, as one or many on this thread has contacted them. It may cross over to other NJ and NY news stations, too soon!

People are going to be reading this H. Life thread from across the country in a search on Fred from Hackettstown, NJ.

Keep it positive about what this story started out as in November of 2017 ! If not, please sign your real name to the kill-joy goat dinner stories.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Sep '18

"Goats, cows, pigs, chicken, turkey etc. are food animals. People eat them."

You left out humans on your food animal list. Animals eat them.

happiest girl
Sep '18

Hey, Hackresident: You first with sharing names.

Go back to waiting in anticipation for Michelle Charlesworth to show up at your door.

YeahRight YeahRight
Sep '18

So, picture this.. your child(ren) comes home from school, crying hysterically because other classmates and maybe even the teacher, teased ‘em to tears about the loss of their favorite joy, maybe the death of a goldfish, or a turtle, or maybe, just maybe, something like the capture and unknown whereabouts of the Famous Mysterious Goat that wanderd around Hackettstown with Deer Friends. And his name was Fred! Such a simple joy that parents can give their children, and themselves, in today’s day of technology where nursery rhymes and bedtime stories are replaced with video games and social media. Their Mom and Dad made Fred into a Hero. A Town Icon. A Legend! They built up the child’s love with fun stories of Fred’s triumphant escape, to his wild life, to his joining a deer family (confirming that unconditional love truly exists-At least in the animal world), to his winter survival. The parents go out to run errands with children in tow, and on the way home, they say, let’s look for Fred! They drive slowly around Steiger Street and Beatty Street and they see something there!! Over there!! The parents are just as excited as their children. They stop! Look!! It’s Fred!! The parents are overwhelmed with emotions as they witness this Hero and Survivor bring smiles and excitement to their children’s faces, as this goat appears with his deer friends just a few feet away..
Fast forward...Time to break the news to your children. Fred’s been captured. The children are heartbroken, the parents are too. The parents can no longer take ‘em out on these outings of fun, because this goat no longer exists. There is this small child in us all who’s heart was captured by this mysterious goat legend, and you now feel your heart is broken as well. The sad and devastated child cries at school. The classmates in school and the teacher as well, laugh and tease.. Fred is just a stupid ole goat, you are making a big deal out of nothing! He’s probably being slaughtered right now and will be on your dinner table tomorrow night.
That, my friends, is a classic example of BULLYING, and that is exactly what this thread has become. While most of us, as adults, found that inner small child and rediscovered unconditional love, joy and happiness looking for and sighting Fred and his deer family, the Adult Bullies here ridicule our emotions and make fun of our broken hearts. The Adult Bullies are trying to destroy our small inner child and its pleasure. Shame Shame on all you Adult Bullies. You know who you are!!

A+ Deb.
Yes, it's always the same pathetic people too.

happiest girl
Sep '18

Thank you so much, Deb for this post. You put in writing my feelings exactly. I was one of those (we live very close to the Livestock Market) who have had sightings and compared notes with other friends about Fred the Hackettstown Goat over the past year. He did become like our own household pet..the longer we knew he was out there the more we came to love him and were concerned about his welfare. This thread was originally set up to just talk about Fred the Goat,,the Hackettstown Legend....not what horrible things might be happening to him after his capture and making jokes about him being on the menu in local restaurants, being slaughtered, etc. etc. This is not funny. Yes, it is bullying..you are bullying those that cared for Fred and making them upset by saying mean things. Fred probably is gone for good now but I have learned a lot more about and have a big change of opinion about some of the posters here on HL. . Think before you write, please...Don't be a bully!!

joyful joyful
Sep '18

That was perfect Deb! Thank you!

Sep '18

Thank you, Deb!!! You hit the nail on the head!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

Excellent Deb!

Poking fun of something that many people care about, is like putting salt on a wound....

It's called insensitivity...

I will check with Suzanne Monday to see if she's getting any leads as to Fred's whereabouts.

Deb, I told Suzanne about your teeshirts, she was quite impressed!

I hope all that is concerned has reached out to Suzanne, the more people the better.

I want Fred to continue to be a LIVING Legend...

Please feel free to email me with any ideas, I feel that we should all join together on this, whether it be group email, phone or in person.

Thank you!

positive positive
Sep '18

If this thread has shown nothing else, it's that there are a bunch of over-privileged, over-sensitive women in the Hackettstown area who have absolutely no idea what it's like to be bullied in any real sense. I'll leave it at that, because the list includes some women whom I respect and dont wish to insult any further than they may take from this general comment at face value.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

I think you all need Dr.Phil
Do you all hear yourself talking about a goat that you don't even know if it is dead or alive?
And you don't even know who has Fred or where he was sent to.
People trying to make money off of a goat Seriously? I'm pretty sure Fred could careless that you are all freeling blue because he was caught. Why don't you put some effort it to something more productive like are veterans and raise money for them and not your own pocket.

Mike Rolls Mike Rolls
Sep '18

I'm sorry about bringing up the goat meat question. I simply never heard of anyone eating goat nor have I ever seen goat meat for sale anywhere. I was just curious and meant nothing negative. Personally I am so sorry that Fred was caught. I saw him a few times with his deer family and thought it was so cool the way the deer accepted him. I hope they are reunited very soon.

Sep '18

The Bullies just can't seem to stop. Now they are name calling. Really just please read another thread if you find this one so upsetting to you. No one is asking to read this or help so find something else to do. Please. Thank you.

Sep '18

Not sure who you are referring to ianimal, but I grew up in Bloomfield and also lived in Newark. Privileged? Not. Bullied? How about getting beat up multiple times and mugged (almost raped) multiple times and struggling to make ends meet most of my life. If that's being privileged..I'd hate to see what underprivileged is...

Making a blatant assumption on a group of people who you do not agree with is quite ignorant and I think you are much smarter and better than that.

Just because I find some posters to be insensitive does not make me over-sensitive and privileged..

I'm not going to feel bad nor apologize for caring about what happens to Fred no matter what anyone else thinks. I don't care if you or anyone else consider me to be a nut, that's your right.

I shouldn't even have to explain myself at this point.

positive positive
Sep '18

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9CYaU3x_nRU

a goat ditty

Tasteless?

If you zoom in on that pic of Billy Burgers, you’ll notice it contains goat meat AND “seasoning”.

Although supposedly the flavor is VERY dependent on the quality of the goat’s diet (which can consist of almost anything - good or bad).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '18

I must say I googled Fred the goat in Hackettstown. I was surprised to see how many news outlets grabbed the story. I get it. We have a cute little tale about a rogue goat free to roam the streets in town then he allegedly frees 75 of his brethren from the auction. It's is a cute distraction type story as 98% of the news is biased opinion and not actual fact reporting. In any event I understand how folks latch onto the hero that is Fred. He and the concept of him has captured the imagination of people and they are having fun with it. As far as his destiny well this is the real world and it is what it is. Hundreds and hundreds of animals pass through the auction weekly it's not personal Sonny it's business.

As far as folks making tasteless or insensitive comments, well that is what you get on an open forum. Some find humor in anything. Heck I have a ton of good material for this thread but I choose to hold back as I see it does seem to upset some. For those people who are joking around with this story, well that's all it is -joking around. Perhaps not funny and insensitive but I wouldn't say bullying.

At least we have a real subject of lore unlike the never seen anaconda from Lake Hopatcong a few years back. That story got national attention as well.

#goodrunFred #byeFred #fondmemeoriesFred

“Perhaps not funny and insensitive but I wouldn't say bullying.”

Agreed.

Fun story, entertaining. Wish we could keep it that way.

justintime justintime
Sep '18

that story you wrote, is it based on your own actual experience with the loose goat?
it sounded like this if you ask me

Hello! Let me introduce myself - My name is Billie and I head up Fred's legal team.

My client is a very smart little Kid as he insisted on applying for several patents. I must inform you that Fred is expecting 11% of all proceeds from the sale of the t-shirts and any other related merchandise bearing his likeness. And don't get any fancy ideas as we also represent three of the deer in his herd.

Awwwe - just had to bust on ya a little.... I'd been following this thread since its beginning and have seen Fred several times. I think it's a Great story! Any positive news relating to Fred, is a positive for our little town of Hackettstown! But immediate attention is needed to locate him before it's too late... @FreeFred

CommonSense CommonSense
Sep '18

“Seriously? It's a thread about a goat. If it were about a cow, I'm sure there would have been all kinds of talk about burgers, prime rib, meatloaf etc.”

I have yet to see this on any missing, sightings, captured or found dogs and cats thread. Perhaps I missed those recipes on here.

countryside
Sep '18

Are a lot of dogs and cats sold at the Hackettstown livestock auction?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '18

No...but they are killed when no one adopts them. Same thing here. This thread is about a goat sighting and not about a goat slaughter. If that’s what people want to discuss then I think we should have more respect and start a new thread about it.

The goat thread wasn’t something I followed until I saw it on the news. I was curious to see what was up with him. I just think some comments are from concerned people while others are just plain down nasty. Again, I have nothing to gain or lose here but just giving my opinion to what I found was plain down stupid. The point is that people were being down right insentive when the same thing can be said about other animal posts on here. I guess we all have the right to say as we please...except when the same peolple will cut your head off of you say anything negative on a thread they really care about.

Anyway, enjoy your evening.

countryside
Sep '18

No, some of the comments have been by bullies and were bullying comments, to the point that I wonder each time I log in, "what the heck am I going to witness towards me/my concerned comments and the support of others who made this thread fun and interesting to read". Yes, do you want to know? I FEEL BULLIED BY SOME OF THE COMMENTS ABOVE, nervous and anxious to log in. THAT IS BULLYING.

This thread is about positive things that have occurred, and finding Hackettstown's Fred at whatever location he is at. NOT nasty and insulting comments, or nasty, digging and uncalled for comments about Goat Meat.

Is this how you treat your spouse, your kids, too? I bet it is.

Sep '18

"Is this how you treat your spouse, your kids, too? I bet it is."

I'm having trouble even comprehending that the heck this means.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Calico696: This thread was fun until Fred the Goat got caught. Were you on it at posting all since it started in Nov 2017, or not until after he was caught? Never saw any posts by you since it started, until lately. See the comments to me and others after I posted that we attempt to find out where the goat went ! All hell broke lose by some of those above. It went from concern by the usual posters --- to nasty, degrading comments by the lurkers.

go read from the beginning, then see for yourself !!

remember all, this is on the world wide web. curb your degrading comments against those that show concern.

Sep '18

Alright, that’s enough! No more baaa-aaaa-aaaad behavior about poor Fred. He’s got legal representation, now (see CommonSense). The firm he’s using is ScapeGoat Law Offices. No one has ever eaten....I mean beaten them, so watch it!

Sep '18

Hack - I guess you didn't look back far enough. I certainly hope you are not referring to me as a lurker. I have been posting on this site regularly since 2008.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Time for Hackresident to go to hie/her safe space.

Calico - She/he is talking about you being a lurker on THIS thread and NOT on this forum.

countryside
Sep '18

This is an " animal type news alert" . I didn't want to start another new thread since I just put one up yesterday... But for those who follow the various wild animal cams in Africa,
( probably 5 of us) Kwa Maritane area is on fire since Saturday USA time. It has almost reached the animal pond. One lone hippo remains and some ducks and birds. The cam still works although the fire is getting close. It's live on the cam right now. So sad. Fire was started by someone burning a grassy area near their property.

Please spare us the snide remarks. Hundreds/ thousands of animals have been affected by this tragedy in this animal sanctuary.

Sep '18

"Calico - She/he is talking about you being a lurker on THIS thread and NOT on this forum."

Well, that's not the case either. I have several comments on this thread dating all the way back to last December.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

I’m just saying what I think she or he is saying. I wasn’t the one who said it.

countryside
Sep '18

No worries, I understood what you meant.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Billie ("Common Sense" of ScapeGoat Law Offices)

Fred's next chapter is to be on "The Ellen Show".......When we locate Fred, I'll email Ellen.

I'll be one of the Fred Publicity Promoters for television, as we already have the Legal Team.

;-)

Sep '18

Sorry Calico, I don't recall you posting once in Nov 2017 but you did, and then posted 3 weeks ago.

Sep '18

Well, I never posted until I read Fred was captured, but it doesn't mean I wasn't interested in this thread from the beginning. I read many threads, but I do not always comment on them.

Hoping we get some updates soon....

positive positive
Sep '18

Anyone want to save the goats that Washington has. The police department picked them up. Animal control has them.

Mike Rolls Mike Rolls
Sep '18

I saw that, Mike. They are posers- just trying to jump on the goat bandwagon! LOL

Which Washington, long valley or the other Washington?

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

Could these goats in Washington be any of the 75 (?) goats and sheep that Fred let escape from the Auction House?

I know the Police said that all were captured but a pig, but do they really know if they got them all?

Sep '18

Washington Township in Long Valley, Jesse132.

From Facebook:

Washington Township Police Department
·
On September 2, 2018 at 18.00 Hrs, Patrol responded to the area of Naughright Road and Arrow Head Drive for a report of two goats in the roadway. After checking the surrounding the owner was not located and the goats were taken back to Washington Township Police Headquarters and later turned over to the Animal Control Officer. ,

How often are goats roaming Hackettstown?! I bet that they are part of the "tribe" that escaped a few weeks ago.

What do you think?

Sep '18

Thank you, Greg! Looks like those goats ended up at a petting zoo/ farm.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

ahhh.

Sep '18

Jesse, do you know what farm they went to?

positive positive
Sep '18

No, it was a comment written on Facebook, it did not state where. I am not on Facebook but you can ask the person who wrote it where they went. I will post the link.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

https://m.facebook.com/wtpdmorris/photos/a.1651571338462025/2214155765536910/?type=3

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

Fred The Goat Will Live Out His Life On A Farm as a breeding goat
https://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/fred-goat-will-live-out-his-life-farm

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Sep '18

A happy ending. Awesome.

Not a tough life- living on a farm breeding! LOL.

Thank you alpha1beta! This article brought tears to my eyes. ( slow news day I guess)
I hope all his off-spring are as adventurous as their Dad/ Grand-Dad, Fred! I think Joyful should get busy writing a children's book of his life or someone make it into a children's adventure movie. I can close my eyes and picture the riot scene when the town finds out Fred was sent to an undisclosed secret location! Anyway, this news made my day!

Sep '18

Congrats on beating the cleaver Fred!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

The only goat grinding that's gonna be going on will be preceded by a little goat bumping... good for Fred. That's nice to hear... even if it's not true.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

Spring fever: Me, too, it brought instant tears to my eyes, also.

I was going to post a question to all the fans/followers: Did your eyes tear up when you read this on Patch.com or here? I bet a lot of us did.

Sep '18

I can't wait for a bunch of Fred Jr's to run around town

I'll use this as an opportunity to promote Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com)
When you buy most items using smile.amazon, they'll donate 0.5% to the charity of your choice including many local ones - some that go to helping other cute fuzzballs.

Barnyard Sanctuary A Nj Nonprofit Corporation
Warren County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To Animals
Pet Adoption League Inc

And some to help humans too
Hackettstown Historical Society
Colonial Musketeers Fife and Drum Corps
Kiwanis Club of Hackettstown Foundation
Friends of the Hackettstown Library Inc
Hackettstown First Aid & Rescue Squad

There's browser addons to make sure you always use smile.amazon.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Sep '18

"That's nice to hear... even if it's not true."

LMAO! You're probably right. It is the politically correct ending to the story. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Some folks still can't resist stirring the pot. Shows their true character.

On a happy note, glad to hear that Fred the Goat has found his forever home.

Sep '18

I wish the latest Patch article mentioned that he befriended and hung with the Deer for the year, she didn't mention that (for new readers).

Sep '18

I'm not stirring anything... just pointing out that the statement is exactly what you would expect to hear regardless of the actual outcome.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

"Some folks still can't resist stirring the pot. Shows their true character."

Some folks need to lighten up.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Ianimal, I agree there is small , very small likelihood Fred's story is not true... But the reality is, he was one strong, smart, sturdy goat to make it through our past never ending winter season. He has proven himself to have good genes. Kind of like thorough (sp?) bred horses who win the Derby. They are in high demand as breeding horses for the rest of their lives rather than being sold for dog food. Farmers who need to increase their animal numbers look for a male from good stock and good genes, so to speak. Fred was a perfect choice for any savy farmer in need of a good breeding goat. My money goes on Fred is just fine and leading a great goat's life right now!

Sep '18

Good, Spring Fever... you have strong faith, so it's easier for you to believe the best. For me, a little "proof of life" would be nice... maybe a picture of Fred eating today's newspaper, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

I want a picture of his kids and grandkids.
Hmmm. Maybe the Patch can work on that
next!

Positive... Are you reading this?

Sep '18

Oh... With Fred and his wives in the middle of all of them!

Sep '18

"For me, a little "proof of life" would be nice... maybe a picture of Fred eating today's newspaper, lol."

Hahahahaha! Perfect!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

That was pretty funny!

Sep '18

Well, I'm probably going to get some heat for saying this, but I tend to agree with ianimal.

I truly want to believe he's OK and on a breeding farm, but something just doesn't sit right with me.

positive positive
Sep '18

I could see them not being able to sell him as meat - who knows if he got bit by ticks or anything while loose and without antibiotics and all that crap put into our food, it could be hard to sell.
Then again, they'd just slap a "free range" sticker on it and double the price. (Let's hope not)

I'd like to believe Fred is alive and well and will be for a long time. I'd love to see them give/sell him to somewhere where he can live a public life, like Alstede Farms. He's be popular I'm sure.

If nothing else, they should start an instagram account and post pictures of Fred. It would be good marketing too!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Sep '18

There is a very small likelihood that the story in Patch is true. Other stories abound, including that he was slaughtered. The Patch reported didn't get a name or any verification that this story is true.

Fred is not the type of goat usually used in breeding. He would have to be quarantined; he's likely full of parasites; he's an escape artist...all reasons why a farmer would not want him as a breeding goat. Also, this auction house sells for slaughter only. Why would the person who originally bought him for slaughter, now keep him?

Also, why not share a photo? Where's the proof? Why wouldn't a farmer want to tell and show this "happy" story? (BTW, even IF it is true, it's not such a happy story considering he'll be sent off to slaughter again soon enough, when his fertility lessens or he's too much trouble or if he gets sick and they don't want to pay a vet bill. And his offspring will be taken away for slaughter.)

We need to keep the pressure on to get the REAL story, which I fear is not a good one.

FredFan FredFan
Sep '18

If the farmer got his goat back and sent him for slaughter, I don't think there is any way he'd now go public with that fact, as judging from the passion of some on this thread, he/she and their family would most likely be barraged with death threats and social media posts would make their life hell.

Even if he's not being sent for slaughter, maybe the family doesn't want the publicity that would come with not being anonymous.

Thank you. Fredfan.

You make valid points. Sanctuaries asked about taking him and giving him a forever home. I do not believe the story either it does not add up.

Who knows he might end up back in the slaughter pipeline.

pampurr pampurr
Sep '18

The goat’s owner doesn’t owe anyone an explanation or any details.

Keep thinking happier thoughts...

YeahRight YeahRight
Sep '18

@Rich, I'm afraid you are probably right.

@YeahRight, I disagree. The community has a right to know the truth about this local hero whom so many have come to know and to photograph over the past year.

Compassion is the right thing to feel for Fred. If the "farmer" really has him, he should be compassionate and let everyone see Fred, or at least a recent photo of him proving he is alive.

These auctions and the people involved have shown themselves to be heartless. Let's let them prove us wrong.

FredFan FredFan
Sep '18

I think folks should just leave it be at this point. Believe whatever you feel about the final disposition of Fred. It was a cute story for a time.

If I were the owner I would not be too willing to give out any information given the passion exhibited concerning the goat. It's actually nobody's business what he does with the goat. I say let sleeping goats lie.

“The community has a right to know the truth about this local hero whom so many have come to know and to photograph over the past year. ”

Ok, I’m stumped. How is it that the community has a “right” to know what someone is doing (legally, any way you look at it) with their private property???

justintime justintime
Sep '18

I respect the owner's right to remain anonymous and to legally do what he/she does with their goat. Perhaps the community outcry for Fred was too late when the owner became aware of it? I don't know, just giving the benefit of the doubt.

However, covering it up to keep the public at bay is not right either, ASSUMING that is what's going on...

I don't know...just hoping for the best for Fred.

positive positive
Sep '18

"I say let sleeping goats lie."

Best idea I've heard all week.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

FredFan..I doubt the farmer will come forward with any proof of Fred. I wish the place would close down. Small water trough for all the many cows stuffed in the pen huddling over it..trying to drink on a 90 degree day..It is a sad disgusting place. Why the farmers don’t go to New Holland Sales.?

pampurr pampurr
Sep '18

We went from enjoyment for almost a year to seeing Fred around town with his deer buddies who accepted him into their group, to capture, to wonder of where Fred's whereabouts became, to comments of slaughter, to a happy article from Patch.com stating a Farm had Fred and he was living his life out on a farm, back to negative thoughts on him again being slaughtered in their thoughts of their reality.

This is sad (again).

Fred's Farm: We would like to see a picture of Fred, with a copy of the Patch.com article next to him. There are 2 articles. No need to tell us the farm or what town he's in. We who loved his ride with his deer friends need to know that he truly is ALIVE and living on your Farm!!

Sep '18

"We would like to see...."

Who are you asking this of and who is "we"?

To me it sounds as if you are talking to yourself- which is fine I do it all the time! LOL.

I recognize your deep interest in wanting some sort of closure for sure but to what end?

In my opinion to simply post to an online forum your desires thinking magically someone will answer and solve the perceived riddle is akin to putting a note in a bottle and tossing in the ocean. If I were so passionate about the final disposition of Fred, I would conduct my own due diligence. Locate the owner and directly ask for "proof" of Fred's existence or whatever information that will satisfy the need and provide closure. Then and only then can the whole Fred adventure truly be laid to rest it appears. Otherwise I recommend to simply go with and accept the happy ending provided in the Patch that Fred is "The Man" on a farm somewhere. That is the quintessential feel good ending for the Fred Chronicles.

Gregory: "We" = my family and I, and ALL those that care from this thread and those that care that didn't post. Do you care???

The closure was that he was living on a farm from the last Patch.com article.

then of course, the negative and nasty people on this post put on this www thread that the Patch.com story is probably a fake story and that he is probably already not alive and put down or slaughtered. killjoys - just read all the above posts.

So much for a happy ending for another Hackettstown Story after the GOOD NEWS that he was living on a Farm!!!

Sep '18

I think at this point its best to just believe what you want to believe. The owner of the farm didn't want to publicize his farm and is under no obligation to do so. As far as proof, you're not going to get it, and really would you even be able to pick Fred out of a line up of goats? It was a cute story while it lasted but it's getting a little over the top with people demanding to see proof of a goat living on a farm.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

"As far as proof, you're not going to get it, and really would you even be able to pick Fred out of a line up of goats? It was a cute story while it lasted but it's getting a little over the top with people demanding to see proof of a goat living on a farm."

OMG, you are killing me Jim. LMAO

Yes, this thread has certainly jumped the shark.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

There... Is that Fred?

YeahRight YeahRight
Sep '18

Aren't you an animal lover, Calico696? on this thread, sometimes you sure don't sound it - lol. Someone named Calico probably has calico cats or a multi-colored dog.

Yes, Fred is in there, in YeahRight's photo ........................ here's the happy ending.

Sep '18

Ok, here is Fred with the Patch article

Yes, I am an animal lover. I also have a sense of humor. Additionally, I understand that some animals are bred for food.

Good one Rich!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Hackresident, perhaps contact The Patch with your concerns? I'm serious, not being a wise guy...

positive positive
Sep '18

"Yes, this thread has certainly jumped the shark."

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '18

Wow only my mother called me Gregory. Well and the Federales too....LOL

I do care. But once I read he was captured and on a farm the story was over. I moved on. Not in a dismissive manner, I just simply realize It's over Johnny. Nothing more to see here. It was a fun ride for a time.

Every story as well as everything in life has a beginning, a middle, and an end. I learned very early in life- NOTHING is forever. This story has come to an end. Not liking or agreeing with the end falls in the to each is own category. I just see it as pointless and unproductive to keep beating a dead horse ( see how I didn't go there!).regarding some answer or proof of a hypothetical or more pleasing end to this story. I as well as numerous others have stated if you and your family et al want answers- do the work and investigate. I can't see any positive in continually posting the same thing on this thread expecting some action. It just produces responses like mine and others.

Please understand I'm not intending to hurt feelings or be mean at all. It's just my straightforward thoughts as I see it.

Here you go

Katie Kausch
Patch Reporter
Morris County, Hopatcong-Sparta, Hackettstown, Edison
(908)-472-0152
@KatieKausch

positive positive
Sep '18

I hope everyone realizes these "photos" are jokes...not to be taken seriously...

Sep '18

OMG Mark! Bwahahahaha!

"I hope everyone realizes these "photos" are jokes...not to be taken seriously..."

Gosh, I hope so Spring fever. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Unfortunately, you never know on this forum...

Sep '18

What are you talking about? Not real?

I took that picture of the shark while hiking along the Musconetcong River.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '18

Just learned that Katie won't be back until Sept 9th. You can email tom.davis@patch.com

positive positive
Sep '18

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/images/forum/2018/09/7dc62d2b58b265a1bb9f754f558a862117b4bef4.jpg

it was over in a POSITIVE note when Katie/The Patch published the story a few days ago.....until the Killjoys on this thread. I never even had that in the back of my mind that the story that Katie published was not true.

Love the photo, thanks Rich. :-) and it's not even Photoshopped!

Sep '18

You all have gone crazy over a goat (Fred)
That's not even his legal name lol.
Do you hear yourself asking to see pictures of the goat.
It is funny reading these comments about ( Fred)
When you see those pictures posted from his owner ask for his birth certificate so you know his real name.

Mike Rolls Mike Rolls
Sep '18

When a goat befriends a herd of deer for 10 months out on the run, that's unusual and interesting and amazing. it's one of Hackettstown's "good" things to remember, unlike Tilly Smith who got murdered at Centenary College and ghosts at Centenary. (and there's one more story for Hackettstown, I can't recall it right now. what was it readers?)

maybe car repair and exercising is your thing instead.

this is most of ours who posted interest and positive remarks on THIS post, Mr. Mike Rolls.

Sep '18

Heard on WRNJ a lady from BARNYARD SANCUARY talk about Fred-the goat this morning.

Did not catch the whole story but she seemed to know his whereabouts. Said anyone could call her about this subject topic.

Bernie Bernie
Sep '18

Thank you for the post, Bernie.

Sep '18

You can contact Tamala Lester the director of the Barnyard Sanctuary at 973-670-4477. She's a great person doing a great job with her sanctuary.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

and then there's this: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-42803471

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '18

I heard there is Fred T-shirt’s that were made??? If so i would love to get two of them for our goats, Mac and Cheese, to wear! Ha. Help!

@mac_cheese_farm

Mac and Cheese
Sep '18

I saw the beautiful tee-shirts on the "Classifieds" about 2 weeks ago!! They came in many colors. I hope she reposts it again.

With all the negative comments about those who looked forward to seeing pictures of sightings of Fred, she may have not reposted it.

If you are reading this, please post the ad again for your well-made, gorgeous-picture tee shirts again!

Sep '18

Due to numerous requests,
Fred’s Fan Club T-Shirt Classified has been added.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/46590

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.