Flanders Valley Monument Company on Mountain Ave

Has anyone ever ordered a monument from them ? I ordered a monument for my mother and father in April. I approved the proof in the middle of May and was told 6 to 8 weeks until it was in and installed. Long story short, it is still not in. I have callled at least 6 times and every time it is a different story. They assure me it is being taken care of and I will get it. We moved out of state so I can not get there in person. Does anyone know what recourse I have and what my next step should be ? I paid in full when I ordered it, so I could take advantage of the discount. Help !!

Mariann Mariann
Nov '17

That is awful. You are 25 weeks out at this point. You are being scammed I believe.The paid in full aspect in unfortunate. If you have not done so already, demand a full refund immediately. If they refuse or give any other response, then.I would seek an attorney at once and hit them with both barrels, without question.

Report them to CONSUMER AFFAIRS and the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU of New Jersey. Call them first. Tell them that if you don't receive your full refund in 7 business days, you are reporting them to the 2 places, and any other place you can find that will get you your money back !!

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/Pages/File-a-Complaint.aspx

may be other places to report this major issue with.

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '17

We are going through the exact same thing with them.

Nosila Nosila
Nov '17

And if still not getting anywhere call Bamboozle. I don’t have their number tho. I have seen folks use them to get their money back. Goodluck!

momOf2 momOf2
Nov '17

BBB is a sham, FYI.

btownguy btownguy
Nov '17

I went thru the same exact same thing with them. It was a year and a half before I finally got it and it still is not correct. They had more excuses. They lost the final draft and blamed it on everyone but themselves. They lost the pictures we gave them to put on the stone also. Thank God we put them on digital. They blamed the company where they got the stone. First it was the truck had an accident and it broke then it was not done, then it was the cement block was not done and then it was too cold. They told me 3 times it was done and I went there all 3 times and it wasn't there. I finally got a hold of the stone company guy thru persistence of the owner and he told me its all them. They don't know what they are doing there. I went in there and told her I wouldn't recommend anyone to this place. She called the police on me. She is one wackadoodle for sure. My mother passed away Feb. 2016. We still don't have all the pictures on the stone. All I can tell you is go there and call constantly otherwise you will not see a stone. I had to get a lawyer to write a letter and still don't have it finished. HORRIBLE place.

Christine Christine
Nov '17

Christine- This is not what I wanted to hear.

I went there last week and she told me to get out. I'm not willing to wait a year and half that is for sure.

Nosila Nosila
Nov '17

Thanks Christine and Nosila. Wish I knew this before I ordered the headstone !

Mariann Mariann
Nov '17

She told you to "Get out"......you need to call the Police and make a Police report and submit that to "Consumer Affairs" Dept.

the BBB is a sham, but they can sometimes help a bit. the one lady for this area is lack-lazy and worthless.

Nov '17

First I would write them a letter stating the facts and giving them your final date of demand. Send the letter certified, registered receipt so you have proof it was received.

If you do not have a satisfactory response, I would file in small claims court against them.

Or... maybe you, Christine and Nosila could collectively contact Kane in your Corner on News 12. If you three are having problems, there are probably so many others.

I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this. You would think that a company in this type of business would really be sensitive to helping their clients during such a difficult time.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '17

I did some looking around on the web - when the BBB wrote to them in 2015 the letter was returned............They note them as out of business .............There are a number of other complaints on the net............I would get together and take them to small claims court as well as possibly filing a police report for theft............It is beyond belief that this scam is allowed to continue....Sorry to those affected........

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

theft and deception. probably other categories too!

Nov '17

The Hackettstown Business Improvement District (BID) should be made aware that they have a bad egg in their basket. A scammer like this in their midst reflects badly on the rest of the reputable businesses in town. Maybe they could provide some help.

fusselfrei fusselfrei
Nov '17

Modular unfortunately nothing will happen now because of the cold! That was their excuse until April. Which I understood as the cement foundation had to be poured. Not sure where your Mom is laid to rest but Flanders Monument blamed Pequest for most of the problems with the foundation as they are the ones who were responsible for it. I got a hold of Pequest and they were never told to do it. And we paid more $$$ for that. It was so distressing to me my one sister took it over. She went in and the police were called on her also. It's sad as my Mom picked everything out herself. She had made all her arrangements ahead of time so there was no excuse. You have to keep on them!

IChristine IChristine
Nov '17

That should say Nosila not Modular. Autocorrect!!

IChristine IChristine
Nov '17

The footings have been poured for a while at the cemetery where my parents are buried also. I went there because it was the only place in the area. I had no idea what I was getting into !!

Mariann Mariann
Nov '17

There is another monument place on rt 46 in Great Meadows

Bug3
Nov '17

Like I said my Moms 2 yr. Anniversary of her death is in Feb. and we still are missing a picture. I handed it over to my sister to handle.

IChristine IChristine
Nov '17

Really sorry to hear about your troubles with this company. If it were me, I'd get a lawyer to draft a letter demanding a refund. Send it certified mail and have someone sign for it. It may cost you $200 or so but if you get your money back, it's well worth it.

If that doesn't work, the next step after that is a lawsuit. Not sure how much this thing cost you (small claims?) but the fact that they poured footings makes me think it's expensive. Any judge would look in your favor based on the unreasonable amount of time you've been waiting.

Consigliere
Nov '17

Edit: didn't realize this was a grave stone. Sorry for your loss. This makes the situation even more deplorable.

Consigliere
Nov '17

I’ve lived here fifteen years and I heard horrible stories about this place back then. Didn’t even know they were still “operating”. In contrast, I was just in Scotland to bury my beloved BIL and his stone took maybe a week. Not a big head stone but a small grave marker.

So sorry you’re going through this.

Someone suggested "Bamboozled" earlier in this thread. "Bamboozled" is a help column in the newspaper "Star Ledger". They are excellent in helping people who are experiencing difficulties with contractors and businesses. You can write to "bamboozled@njadvancemedia.com". Karin Price Mueller is the person in charge of the investigations. Good luck.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Nov '17

instead of going to the gym you could always wear a sandwich board warning other potential customers about your problem with them while walking back and forth in front of their business.

Look into a breach of contract claim maybe you can can get back your deposit and search elsewhere.

I have nothing more to offer in the way of advice. Everyone's suggestions were all good things to try. But once things are straightened out and you are ready to pursue getting another stone, Pequest monuments on Rt.46 in Great Meadows is wonderful to deal with. I purchased a stone from them and it was in place the exact date they promised.

I am very sorry you have to deal with this after losing your Mom. It must be very frustrating and taking an emotional toll. Good luck to you getting satisfaction in this matter.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '17

Went thru the same thing when my husband passed in 2015... promises-- promises---then they could not find my paperwork.... but I had mine... i insisted on a refund.. they gave it to me and I went with the monument company in netcong!!!! Within 2 weeks all was completed...
I would Never Recommend Them

CAMILLE PARKER CAMILLE PARKER
Nov '17

Contact Channel 7's News where they help people with problems and money back.

Contact the Attorney General's Consumer Affairs w/ the link above.

Good luck!

Nov '17

Wow, so glad I selected a monument company referred to me by the funeral home.
They are from PA, but met me at the funeral home to go over everything. They were so wonderful and I had no problems. I'm really grateful. Feel so sorry for these poor people that got scammed. I really hope they get help to have their money refunded.

Joyce Joyce
Nov '17

How this place is still in business is beyond my comprehension with all of these complaints?

I'm really sorry to here about all of your problems and I hope the matters are resolved soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Didn't the Quick Chek developer buy that property?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

They are located in the building where Philly Pretzels is.

Does anyone have any recent contact information for this company. My Grandmother passed away in October of 2017. Cochran Funeral home recommended Flanders Valley Monument when my family was making arrangements. Long story short, the headstone was never placed. Our first attempts to contact them were filled with excuses, and now the phone/fax numbers do not work, and they have vacated the office on Mountain Ave. So now, after 16 months, my Grandmother's grave is still unmarked, and my family is out $2500.

Erin Anderson Erin Anderson
Feb '19

Ask cochran

Bug3
Feb '19

Contact the Attorney General's Office/ Consumer Affairs.

Find out the owner through records, and then go after him that way.

Feb '19

Scum bags! I don’t understand how people can take advantage of grieving families and sleep at night.

It took a lot of harassing to get my moms stone. The owner was pure scum.

Nosila Nosila
Feb '19

Do they still have an office on Route 10 in Roxbury?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '19

They are scammers. hey keep doing it because they get away with it probably 90% of the time. The rest of 10% report them up their kazoo to every Agency in NJ. perhaps t hat way, they will get justice and the monument stone or their money back!!

Feb '19

Did you try asking Cochran's for a contact person or help ?, as they suggested them. So sorry you have to deal with that.

Smile every day Smile every day
Feb '19

I don’t think they are in business anymore . I think a barber shop took over that location

Michael Michael
Feb '19

My mom passed away in April '18 and my dad purchased the stone from these people in July. He, too, paid in full to take advantage of the discount. After many excuses and lies of why it is taking so long for the stone to be set at the cemetery, I found out just last week that the stone has never even been made! We approved the drawing back in early August, but Flanders never paid the quarry in Vermont to make the stone. After speaking with the quarry, they told me that due to bad business dealings with Flanders, they will not create stones for them until they are paid...go figure!. All this time, Flanders was blaming the Monument Setters saying they couldn't get here because of weather or because of long travel distance to come out to west Jersey, etc. In reality, the setters don't even have her stone because it was never made!

We demanded our money back by today or we were taking legal action. Of course; no money!

My mom is almost gone a year now and still no stone at her gravesite. It is so heartbreaking.

These people are scum!

I know the owner(s) personally. This is completely their M.O. to take advantage of people when they are distraught and at their most vulnerable. I would pursue legal action, that is something they would surely react to, because it would force them to stop their underhanded lying ways.

Chris Giancola Chris Giancola
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.