Local Pottery Class for a Repair

Local Pottery Class for a Repair

I have a lid to an early primitive German spice canister set that "somehow" fell to the floor. Unlike Humpty Dumpty this can't be put back together again.

I recall when I was young my aunt participated in a pottery making class and produced all sorts of things like lamps, animal figures etc. While they were molds I remember some original items too. This lid is very basic and crude. It's bisque in color making it simple to reproduce I would think. It measures 4" x 4-1/8". I have the remains and of course other lids to use as a model. Any thoughts?
Thanks all.

Re: Local Pottery Class for a Repair

Here is the underside.

I should add I'm not looking to take the class, I was thinking of commissioning the piece.

The only pottery place close to us is in Newton. I would give a call and see what they could do. Good luck.

kikinj kikinj
Nov '17

Go on eBay. There are thousands of part sets, broken items, and replacements for sale. Czech/German canister sets were commonly produced. Everyone on eBay wants a bargain so you should be able to find something cheap. A single canister with a crack but a good lid should not be that hard to find, much more economical, and it'll be more authentic than a commissioned replacement.

I did try that, GC. I was not finding what I need however I plan to try using other search terms. I do know using "old spice container set" produces a lot of Old Spice brand goodies! LOL.

I'll search some more.

I don't know if they'd have any, but you might try:

https://www.replacements.com/

Courtney
Nov '17

Greg - "container" is definitely going to send you down the wrong direction. "Canister" is exactly what you want, try a combination of "antique" as well as "vintage" because most of them are on the borderline of true antiques. There are a good 500+ available even a lot or two of just lids.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.