Sizzle (formerly Leo's Boardwalk) & Deli (formerly Melina's)

Hey - I see new places in town are opening up!

Sizzle - where Leo's was which is serving BBQ & empanada's & Melina's sign is down & a sign says deli/catering.

This is great to get some new places in town. Anyone have any info yet as to when they will open or what the menu's will be like?

I saw these this morning also! Both previous places lasted about 5 minutes, hopefully these do well!!

htownmom htownmom
Nov '17

"what the menu's will be like?"

BBQ, empanadas, deli sandwiches and salads. ;-)

I'm glad these places are reopening.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

So sad, another American eatery becoming a Hispanic “food” store. Empanadas? Who wants that!?

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '17

Empanadas are delicious. The ones at Monchy's certainly are and I wouldn't mind trying the recipes at different locations. Here's hoping Sizzle's has some good ones. :)

Harker Harker
Nov '17

Empanadas are fantastic!! I like ones from Fruitmex, Melina's, and Monchy's. Everyone wants good food.

There's always that person

We like empenadas from everywhere in town, always surprises me how different each are. Hope they are successful.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '17

Love empanadas! There really good cold too!

Christine Christine
Nov '17

Please tell me what is in a empanada as I've never eaten one. Thanks.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

The stuffing is usually meat & potato although you can get ones that are cheese as well.

Re: Sizzle (formerly Leo's Boardwalk) & Deli (formerly Melina's)

Magpie:

Empanads are a stuffed bread or pastry, usually with meat or potato as GC said, though I suppose you could put whatever you liked in them. Monchy's has a Hawaiian one, if I remember correctly.

Harker Harker
Nov '17

Hey 1988 welcome to 2017 hackettstown is diverse as can be ,get with the times

What l don't understand is how nobody could make Leo's work again after Van and Ann. Seems like the recipe worked for decades. Just don't change anything.

Eperot Eperot
Nov '17

The same recipe for decades is sometimes exactly what makes it fade into the sunset.

Restaurants are very tough businesses. Very long hours and exceptionally high competition. You often can't get help and still need to make regular investments in the business. It's not always about the food.

"Restaurants aren't about the food"?

sister jane
Nov '17

I think with the exception of James on Main - the statement "It's not always about the food." is very apropos in H-Town.

ThaiMaster18 ThaiMaster18
Nov '17

Mike- Diversity used to be great but now it’s just a liberal dog whistle for as few white people as possible. I’m sorry but I can’t support that.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '17

Ignorance sure is bliss

Someone forgot their wink wink key words "a certain clientele".

Empanadas are delicious! I wish both new restaurants the best of luck!!

Michael Michael
Nov '17

Oh geez. You people act all accepting and tolerant now, we still have the luxury of being that way. I’m sure people in Dover in the 1940s had the same debate. The people are welcome but they should assimilate to our culture.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '17

PROGRESSIVE Teddy Roosevelt certainly thought so...

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '17

It’s better than having empty store fronts! 1988lj!!!

Michael Michael
Nov '17

I agree about speaking English, but otherwise to absorb tasty food from around the world is all good -- don't like it, don't buy it...

1988LJ, since you're intolerant of different cultures than maybe you shouldn't eat Italian, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Polish and so on and so on.

You're going to be left with very limited options.

positive positive
Nov '17

hey, here's an idea 1988 LJ... open your own restaurant... oh wait, you're too busy criticizing other cultures that are actually carrying out the American dream and opening their own business.

htownbound htownbound
Nov '17

Just saw this posted on FB about Milena's:
Milena's will RE-OPEN Monday, November 20th!! They will have a great new menu; including breakfast burgers, deli sandwiches, wings, and free coffee!! Stop on by tomorrow! 223 Main St, Hackettstown

I get a kick out of many on this board.
Challenge diversity, demand "the American Way"- must speak only English.
BUT IT ALL GOES OUT THE WINDOW WHEN YOU WANT YOUR LAWN CUT, DRIVEWAY PAVED OR YOUR ROOF REPLACED.
Phoney Balonies.

Stymie Stymie
Nov '17

Thanks for the explanation. I will have to try one.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

Looking forward to trying these places! Always up for a good empanada!

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Nov '17

'...but they should assimilate to our culture.'

1988LJ

----------

Assimilate means that they can't serve empanadas and other Hispanic food items? That is some of the most ignorant, dumbass bullsh*t...even by 1988LJ's usual ignorant standards, that is some dumb stuff.

----------
"We have room for but one flag, the American flag "

Tell that to the redneck conservatives flying their Confederate flags with pride.

"and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people"

Tell that to the orange piece of crap in the White House who, when given multiple chances, chose not to believe his own intelligence community and took Putin at his word.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '17

Re: Sizzle (formerly Leo's Boardwalk) & Deli (formerly Melina's)

We now have the new menu on our website. It all looks really good!

Check out the menu here: http://hackettstownbid.com/restaurants/milenas-deli/

hktwnBID hktwnBID
Nov '17

Cool. I love that there will be a breakfast sandwich place I can walk to easily. I'm looking forward to trying the new offerings.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Nov '17

Ok so they could not make their Business work the 1st time so now let's just make it another deli. So now that makes 4 in town. Just like how many people make empanada's in this town??? I hope they speak English not like some of these places on main street. ** IJAY** it's a deli nothing fancy about deli food. Its the same no matter who's menu you pick it from there is nothing fancy about a deli. Only if it made by a hot chick

Mikeylikesitall Mikeylikesitall
Nov '17

The menu looks fantastic. Are they open for business? I wish them luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Looked at the Menu and I hope they survive with those Prices! $3.50 for a plain hot dog.!! Good luck

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Nov '17

Having sub toppings topped by topless hot chicks Mikey...

People should only eat authentic American food. Anyone who eats Chinese food, Italian food, Mexican food, French food, German, Polish, etc. should be locked up. Right!? Guarantee the people bitching about empanada shove all of the above into their big mouths willingly.

Hallelujah Hallelujah
Nov '17

I didn't see empanadas on the menu, did I miss something? For those breakfast prices and options I'll continue to go to Stella's.

"I didn't see empanadas on the menu, did I miss something?"

If you re-read the OP, it's the old Leo's that is going to have empanadas, not Milena's.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Got it thanks. I was confused thinking the old Leo's was becoming Milena's and used the link to see the menu. I didn't read the whole thread which apparently got sidetracked.

No worries, it was a little confusing.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

According to the BID website Melina's won't be open on Sunday. Either that is a mistake by the BID for posting the wrong hours or a mistake by Melina's for being closed on a Sunday.

Hot Under the Collar
Nov '17

Hi grand opening this Friday , I can not wait to eat BBQ , charcoal bb

Mauricio COCCOZ Mauricio COCCOZ
Dec '17

It is not Spanish, it is Portuguese BBQ- which is absolutely amazing. Haven’t tried this place yet, but am personally super excited to do so! I am originally from Union County and there are many of these restaurants there, and I so missed having it readily available. They usually don’t have empanadas at Portuguese BBQ, LOL, but the Nutella Banana empanada sounds fabulous!!

I love charcoal BBQ too. The places in Long Valley were fantastic. Very much looking forward to this one too.

Will they have picadino

Pigpen Pigpen
Dec '17

The empanadas @ Zabana's last week were amazing!!

Just me Just me
Dec '17

Here is the website for Sizzle. I don't believe it was posted here yet:

http://thesizzlebbq.com

1988LJ, I'm with you and agree with everything you say. Yes, it's good to be diverse, but Hackettstown is getting ridiculous. Why does everything in town now have to be ethnic? Why does everything have to be in 2 languages? What happened to the American language of English? When Americans go to other countries we have to learn their customs and language so why does America have to cater to immigrants? Wake up liberals.....you've handed over our country to them on a silver platter!

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Dec '17

Excited for this place to open!!!

Lucacell Lucacell
Dec '17

"Wake up liberals.....you've handed over our country to them on a silver platter!" -Tigerfan.

Yikes.

Hmmmmm. FACT. It is the immigrants that take the risk and long hours to open restaurants. They have limited English, so this is their option. CHANGE, never stops. What was in Hackettstown 500 years ago, just native Indians here and there. If you are ignorant enough to believe that things don't change then...

Yikes is right! Nice that they deliver too!

Bessie Bessie
Dec '17

Hey tigerfan you don't like the Irish pub?

Ok so maybe the word "immigrant" was incorrect because most likely our grandparents or great grandparents were immigrants. The point I'm trying to make is that if people want to come to our country, they should learn the culture, language, etc. just as we would if we went to their country. And I'm not against diversity, I just feel that Hackettstown is turning into more like a little Mexico, Spain or wherever this culture of empanadas is from. Just like the amount of nail salons in town, I feel we now have too many of these "empanada" restaurants.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Dec '17

Variety is nice, whether it’s pizza, Chinese/Asian, Spanish, they all have their things they make the best. It certainly is nice to have other options than pizza or Chinese, lol. Dare i say a soul food place would be welcome.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.