$3000 NJ Tax Exemption for Veterans

This new exemption was included in the gas tax hike legislation. The information for qualifying and submitting DD214 is here:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/newexemptionveterans.shtml

Please spread the word.

Also reminder: there has been a long standing $250 property tax exemption for veterans and full exemption for totally disabled veterans, more info here:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/otherptr.shtml

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
6 days ago

Thanks for this. I didn't know about the $3K exemption.

SubsailorJoe SubsailorJoe
6 days ago

Thank you for the information. I just completed the form and uploaded the documents to the NJ web site.

Thanks also

exphysics teacher exphysics teacher
6 days ago

My husband was an honorably discharged veteran and is now deceased. Does this exemption apply to veteran widows? I looked but didn't see anything regarding widows being eligible.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
5 days ago

"This deduction also is available to a surviving spouse/civil union/domestic partner who has not remarried. This benefit is administered by the local municipality."

From the link posted above.

Calico696 Calico696
5 days ago

@Calico696 I think Parental Unit was asking about the $3000 exemption and does it apply to the surviving spouse. No mention of that on the NJ treasury page so probably not but I would suggest calling Trenton and asking.

The $250 local tax deduction does apply to surviving spouse.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
5 days ago

Wow, NJ did something right? I think the earth just stopped spinning...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
5 days ago

OnTheEdge - Thanks for the correction.

Calico696 Calico696
5 days ago

Am I reading it correctly that the application for the state is 1 time filing, but the local one has to be submitted every year?

Both filings are 1 time filings.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
5 days ago

Thank you, hadn't heard of this! It looks like a savings of a little under $200 in income tax, if I am looking at it correctly. That's a nice dinner out at a local restaurant.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
5 days ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: $3000 NJ Tax Exemption for Veterans
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.