$3000 NJ Tax Exemption for Veterans

This new exemption was included in the gas tax hike legislation. The information for qualifying and submitting DD214 is here:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/newexemptionveterans.shtml

Please spread the word.

Also reminder: there has been a long standing $250 property tax exemption for veterans and full exemption for totally disabled veterans, more info here:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/otherptr.shtml

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '17

Thanks for this. I didn't know about the $3K exemption.

SubsailorJoe SubsailorJoe
Nov '17

Thank you for the information. I just completed the form and uploaded the documents to the NJ web site.

Thanks also

exphysics teacher exphysics teacher
Nov '17

My husband was an honorably discharged veteran and is now deceased. Does this exemption apply to veteran widows? I looked but didn't see anything regarding widows being eligible.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '17

"This deduction also is available to a surviving spouse/civil union/domestic partner who has not remarried. This benefit is administered by the local municipality."

From the link posted above.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

@Calico696 I think Parental Unit was asking about the $3000 exemption and does it apply to the surviving spouse. No mention of that on the NJ treasury page so probably not but I would suggest calling Trenton and asking.

The $250 local tax deduction does apply to surviving spouse.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '17

Wow, NJ did something right? I think the earth just stopped spinning...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '17

OnTheEdge - Thanks for the correction.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Am I reading it correctly that the application for the state is 1 time filing, but the local one has to be submitted every year?

Both filings are 1 time filings.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '17

Thank you, hadn't heard of this! It looks like a savings of a little under $200 in income tax, if I am looking at it correctly. That's a nice dinner out at a local restaurant.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '17

Came up as Q&A:
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2018/01/how_the_veterans_exemption_works_biz_brain.html#incart_river_mobile_home

Has anyone received the letter mentioned? I filed by mail in mid November and have not received it.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jan '18

Some folks who had were distributing the letter at the Legion two weeks ago. So some folks out there definitely did.

I had filed on line in October and received my confirmation letter of acceptance from the state in December.

I sent ours in Mid November as well... with the proper form but have yet to hear anything.

joyful joyful
Jan '18

Joyful, have you tried checking status on the web site? I'm not sure if it will help but worth a try.

I will pass. Give it to someone else.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '18

Has anyone found anything if they have not received a confirmation of their application for veterans $3000 deduction. Sent it in Nov 15 and have not received anything back. Could not find anything on any NJ Web sites.

Jan '18

You only need to submit a copy of your records the first time you claim the exemption, you do not need to provide this documentation each year

as per the link above

I am hoping that when I file which I do via the free NJ online filing that my SSN will link to my filing for the exemption. If not I will call.

"I will pass. Give it to someone else."

What a very nice person. Unless of course you did not serve and your just trying to be a smart ass.

The Man The Man
Jan '18

The following is listed on the NJ Taxation web site if you click on Veteran Exemption and scroll down.

"Once we receive information that you qualify for the exemption, the Division will provide a letter of receipt confirming your eligibility. Letters will be sent in January the first year you meet the qualifications. 2017 letters will be issued after January 1, 2018."

USAF vet USAF vet
Jan '18

Thank you for that information...USAF vet...guess we just wait...

joyful joyful
Jan '18

Does the NJ $3000 Tax Exemption apply
to US Army Reservists who served 6 months active duty plus 6 years as a Reservist & received an Honorable Discharge?
Please advise.
Thanks.

AL DELUCIA AL DELUCIA
Jan '18

Why wouldn’t it?

So it comes out to about $189 less, tax, correct?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '18

"The statue defines a veteran as one who has been 'honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof, or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal status,'"

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jan '18

Started doing NJ income tax and have not heard from the state after mailing in the form and a copy of DD214. Has anyone heard anything? Tried looking online, contacting the state on line(3 weeks ago) and still nothing. Plan on taking it anyway and let them figure it out

Feb '18

I emailed to nj.taxation@treas.state.nj.us last week inquiring about confirmation. They replied that I had forgotten to supply my SSN in my request, so I faxed that info yesterday to: 609-633-8427 Attn: REW. Today I got an email confirming my application, and also saying it will be several months before a letter may get out, but my copy of their e-mail would be enough. The website also said it was not necessary to have a letter to file for the deduction this year.

USAF vet USAF vet
Feb '18

Thank you for that information, USAF vet, We have been waiting for a confirmation for some time also and good to know that we really do not need that for filing our taxes this year in order to get the deduction.

joyful joyful
Feb '18

Last week, I received a letter from the State of New Jersey, and it stated that I will no longer need any verification of my Veterans status, because I am on file already with the state. We shall see!

Embryodad Embryodad
Feb '18

Confirmation for the exemption received today via e-mail.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.