Found!! German Shepherd, Airport Rd.

Found!! German Shepherd, Airport Rd.

URGENT MISSING DOG. I am missing a 100lb long haired black German Shepherd dog. He escaped my fenced yard and field this morning. He is a rescue and extremely shy and reserved. Please do not approach but notify me via text or call 973-615-9053. He is extremely cautious of men and not food motivated. He was last seen along the railroad tracks off Airport Road in Mansfield Twp. We have alerted animal control and have people out looking. Any sightings or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Gene Sheninger Gene Sheninger
Nov '17

I hope every thing works out and you get reunited with the dog Hackettstown lifers are great bunch of people and they will be watch full but please let every one know then you find the dog

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '17

What a beautiful dog. I hope he is found soon. What is his name?

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

http://wrnjradio.com/petwatch/

so sorry to hear!

Ps did you used to live in Boonton ?

ADAIR J MOORE SATTEL ADAIR J MOORE SATTEL
Nov '17

Romeo. But, it's very important that no one try to approach him. He's VERY skittish. Call or text me at 973-615-9053

Nov '17

Good luck in someone getting a hold of your dog, or leading you to your dog.

Prayers are with you!

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '17

I am heading out to Hackettstown, and will look for him as well.

Best of luck, prayers.

Nov '17

Wow he is a beauty! I'm going out soon to run errands near there. Will be on the look out and take your number with me.

Natari Natari
Nov '17

^^ Me too.

Wish I could take my drone up. Just too near the airport. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Any update on this gorgeous boy? I drove around this morning looking for him. Needle in a haystack situation with all the fields etc. :(

Natari Natari
Nov '17

I just saw a lone dog walking up the long driveway, directly across from Allen Rd little bridge, right pass the Apts,.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Nov '17

Bby, did you call Gene with the number in the first post.

Molly
Nov '17

Did you notice the color of the dog? Was it black? I've contacted the owner of the house up that drive, but haven't heard back. LMK?

Nov '17

No I didn't. Sorry. Was rushing out.
Any update?

Nov '17

Is there any sort of search going on today for this dog.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '17

Searches normally are not a good idea. It will push the dog further. I’ve learned this over the years when helping find lost dogs.

If you want to help....getting the word out helps the most. Also, not sure if anyone has a trap big enough but there has been success with that as well.

Nosila Nosila
Nov '17

Trap???

Nov '17

Re:  Found!! German Shepherd, Airport Rd.

Yes, a Have a Heart trap.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

SATURDAY UPDATE!!!
Romeo is still missing. He escaped our fenced in yard and fields around 10am on Thursday. He was seen on Airport Road by the RR tracks around 11am on Thursday, at Donaldson's Farm around noon on Thursday and moving toward Route 57, and across from the cabins on Route 57 around 5pm on Thursday. The last sighting was around 7pm on Thursday just east of the Fire House and DPW garage on Route 57. It was reported that he had been hit by a car (described as a "bump") and he ran into the yard of the house just east of the Fire House. We have searched all around the area with no luck. The Assistant Chief walked around the area with a thermal imaging camera on Friday morning and again last night. No luck! We assume he's still ambulatory. We have contacted the veterinarians in the area, all of the rescue organizations recommended to us by you good folks and Hound Hunters of NEPA. We even contacted Fish and Game to ask them to let us know of any "bear" sightings in area, in case someone should mistake him for a bear. You have all been great at keeping in contact with us. We are VERY worried and appreciate all your help. REWARD offered for his safe return or information leading to his safe return. The last sighting was in Mansfield Township, but he is close to the Washington Township and Lebanon Township borders and could easily be in any of the communities. Please everyone keep your eyes open. Do not approach. He is probably hungry so showing him a bowl of food might be helpful, but do not approach, back away from the food bowl if he shows interest. Contact us via text if possible to 973-615-9053 and/or 914-204-2543 if spotted. We will immediately come to the sighting location.

Nov '17

I was just on nRt. 57 giong westbound. 2 blocks b locks befire aSbury anderson road, thgere were 2 cars in the road, with people kneeling down, with the Mansifeldpolice dept by the 2stopped cars.

i pray that it's not your dog,. this was just at 11:45 am. please cdall them asap, or s top up there too. again 2 blocks EAST of Asbury Anderson road,

i pray for you,. i'm; crying

Nov '17

Hackresident - Please call Gene at one of the numbers listed above your post. I really hope it's not his dog.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Oh god, I hope it's not him.

positive positive
Nov '17

Wasn't my dog. It was a flat tire. I just talked to the cop who was there. We are still out looking. Will be posting flyers this afternoon. Thank you for contacting me. ANY lead is worth following up. We even went down to Whitehouse Station yesterday on a report of a black German Shepherd out loose.

Nov '17

Thank God!! I was sick with worry right along with you, as I'm sure *many* here were. I am out looking now.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

I was on my way towards PA, and saw the 2 cars on the side of the road w/ people kneeling on the ground, and the Sgt., and immediately thought of your dog. I saw a blanket down on the grass, and I became very upset. I couldn't go home to use my computer as I was on my way somewhere. 10 minutes from Asbury/Anderson road I stopped at a restaurant and they let me use their laptop to post my 12:01 post to you, Gene. The bartender is also going to keep looking on this post, because she too is very concerned (also seeing my reaction)!

Towards PA, 30 minutes later, I stopped at a Pharmacy, and they let me use their computer to see if you posted, and then they gave me your phone number to call you. Both places were very upset with me that your dog might have been hit. These poor people in both stores seeing me crying, saying t hat it was probably your beautiful German Sheppard.

I hope that someone finds him soon in good/decent health for you.

So the Police and Animal Control are also aware about your lost dog?

Prayers to you, Gene. Good luck!!

Nov '17

Thank goodness it wasn't Romeo. Will continue spreading the word.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

We have contacted the ACO in towns all around us, the police also. We may have had a sighting but currently unconfirmed. We will keep you posted.

Nov '17

I will watch for your dog when I am in the area tomorrow

Kentuckymom Kentuckymom
Nov '17

Hope you find him soon! Wife and I went looking around Mansfield/LV/Lebanon but did not see him. Any more recent sighting locations?

!!!!SUNDAY UPDATE!!!!!

Romeo is still missing and we are getting sporadic sightings of him. We believe he is attempting to stay away from human contact. The fastest way for us to respond to a sighting is via text or a phone call. 973-615-9053 and/or 914-204-2543. Our only objective is to bring this boy home safe and sound so call or text anytime. He has been missing now for 3 days and is probably a matted mess with burrs and sticks in his heavy coat so don't be alarmed if he looks unkempt. The reason I mention this is a hunter had a picture of him on a trail cam and thought he was a wild dog. He is NOT. Please keep the information flowing and sightings coming in. Thank you EVERYONE. It will be due to everyone's cooperation and diligence if we are able to get him home. Do not attempt to approach him as it will only scare him off more.

Nov '17

We are not sure that the sightings are our dog. But, the last report was from High Bridge, The one before that was a day earlier in Glen Gardner and before that just outside Hackettstown

Nov '17

Well, this IS getting confusing. We have had reports of sightings from all over our area and beyond. After the report on Thursday at 7pm of his sighting and being hit by a car near the fire house on Route 57 in Beattystown (just west of Hackettstown), we had a report on Friday around 11am, with a picture, down in Whitehouse Station. We drove the 30 some miles to find out it was not him. Then, on Saturday, a report that he was caught on a hunter's trail cam very early on Friday morning, snacking on his deer block. That gave us hope that he hadn't been hurt badly by the car.

Then, we had a call late Saturday night that he had been seen off West Hill Road in Glen Gardner at noon that day. Then a report today, Sunday, that he had been seen in High Bridge (also not him). Then another report today from West Hill Road, this time a phone call that he had JUST been seen, so we raced over but no further sightings. Teri is still there to see if she can see him. Then, the latest report around noon that a "black, fury animal" had been seen a couple hours earlier running across Rockport Road by Snyder Road.

So, yes, we are confused. He can't be in all those places, but we're checking our EVERY one. So, even if you see something that might be him, let us know. If you could call either Gene, 973-615-9053, or Teri, 914-204-2543, that would allow us to get right on the road to your sighting.

Nov '17

I feel for you Gene. It must be so frustrating and heart wrenching!

I truly hope you find your beautiful baby soon.

positive positive
Nov '17

Sorry you are going through this Gene. You will find him., the sooner the better. :-)

(sorry to stir you up yesterday about the 2 cars by Asbury-Anderson Road. I had to post something to you on this site. TG it wasn't your pet, but a flat tire). I didn't see that part of it - it was impossible, just a blanket down).

My best to you and your pet to be found very soon.

Nov '17

I hope you find him soon! You need to stop chasing the posible sightings that are over 10 miles away! You dog most likely will be very close to home not much more than a mile or so from home!! Good luck!!

Dadof3
Nov '17

I will be out with a friend of mine (whom I call the dog whisperer) looking tomorrow.

Hugs...

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Did he have a collar with name and number?

Gene, did you put the announcement on WRNJ?
I sent you the link.

Here it is again:

http://wrnjradio.com/petwatch/

I am still looking for him. He and you are in our prayers..
Maybe post times and dates and where he is, or text us in a group setting on your phone. so that everyone can keep track on updates?
Also, has anyone called vets and town animal wardens, to be on the lookout for him as well? I can volunteer, if you wish ! Give me a call or text me asap, if needed, I am there for you!

Nov '17

anyone out on foot today in a certain area.., I will go out!

MANIC MONDAY UPDATE - He's still not home but we have some encouraging updates. He has now been sighted around the West Hill Road area in Glen Gardner near the Spruce Run Lutheran Church and Cemetery 3 times in the last 48 hours. Last night around 6:00 p.m. (just after dark), he was sighted walking down Spruce Run Road at the end closest to W. Hill Road. We are in the area all day trying to locate him. Any sightings, please text or call 914-204-2543 and/or 973-615-9053. I'm hoping that by remaining near the church, we can get to him quickly if he is spotted again. The sighting last night is very encouraging as he was not showing any signs of injury although he was covered in leaves. He was walking and not running so we are hoping that he is settling down in this area as a safe place and we can work on getting some traps set if we can encourage him to come back to the same place for food. In case he moves out of this area back towards home (west of Hackettstown), Please share this post and ask your family and friends (esp. those that hunt), to be on the look out. He had been staying in the woods mostly and we are hoping to get some pictures of him on trail cams. Any pictures can be texted to us as well. Please keep the info coming and THANK YOU for all your efforts. I know it is discouraging that we have not yet retrieved him, but I am determined to do so and need all your help to accomplish it. THANK YOU AGAIN!

Nov '17

How far is the Glen Gardner/area of your dog being spotted from your home, Gene ?

Nov '17

A good 10 miles. So, I'd be skeptical if it weren't for 3 independent sightings by people who were up close enough to see him clearly and identify him by our pictures. We are still searching closer to home (Beattystown, Route 57 was the last confirmed sighting near home). Home is Rockport Road, just west of the tunnel.

Nov '17

so he could travel 3 miles a d ay for the 3 days, plus today. that's possible, isn't it ?

how did these people in Glen Gardner hear/know about your lost Pet ?

i'd stay near that church area, and keep the phones opened for other sightings, too. I hope you get him back TODAY !!!

Nov '17

I'm constantly thinking about this boy. Shepherds are my fav breed. I just googled about if he could go that distance. He definitely can go that far. They have a lot of stamina and also can run very fast too. Praying you get him home soon.

Natari Natari
Nov '17

Me too, Natari. SO worried for him, but i think hopefully this time 3 different sightings by 3 diffeirent people in Glen Gardner are him.

Nov '17

Would be a good idea to check with farms in the area, he might be attracted to other animals.

hktownie hktownie
Nov '17

Yes, it's entirely possible he could travel that far. It's just not the norm. One would expect a dog to stay within a mile or two from the home location.

*****URGENT NOTICE*****:

We have a S&R dog starting a search in the area along West Hill Road, side roads and the Spruce Run Lutheran Church and cemetery. He will start around 4pm today and work til dark. He has asked us to try to keep people and cars to a minimum during that time. So, we should avoid the area during that time. It's just that he is afraid his dog could be distracted. People, cars, or extraneous noise could distract the dog. I'm hoping that he and his dog, at a minimum, will let us know if it IS Romeo that has been seen there, and THEN we can concentrate our search in that one area. Of course, the best outcome would be that he and his dog find Romeo

Nov '17

Praying they find your baby. Romeo is lucky to have you, you obviously love him very much.

littlelu littlelu
Nov '17

I'm on Rt57 Port Murray. Will def keep eye out.

Those other places just seem way too far away.

Hoping for the best. Hope he's found soon.

Nov '17

"Veterinarians have confirmed that even a small pet such as a small dog or cat can trot indefinitely at 3 miles per hour. So, if for some reason your pet must run frantically non-stop, and if he does so at just 3 mph, he could travel 24 miles in just 8 hours; 36 miles in 12 hours; 72 miles in a full 24-hour day."

- animal-pounds.com, a website that helps people find lost pets.

This is a German Shepherd. One of my GSDs was clocked at 24MPH and she wasn't running all-out. Romeo sneezes at traveling 9 miles over a few days. It's not at all too far, nor that surprising.

I do hope some luck is had with the S&R dog tonight, and Romeo is found. If not, let me know where you might like a drone to be launched tomorrow? Weather looks good.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Romeo Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo

hey it may work

*****TUESDAY AND COUNTING*****

THIS IS A GREAT COMMUNITY! The amount of support we've received is amazing. SO, FIRSTLY THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!!! We wouldn't be this close without your sightings, sharing and posting for us. The phone calls of sightings has been particularly useful, and we are hugely grateful.

We are now pretty sure that it's Romeo. The sightings in the Glen Gardner area around the Lutheran church on West Hill Road (the latest at 3pm yesterday) are him. If you see him, please grab your phone, call one of us and try to get a picture of him. We'd like to see his current condition.

Teri -- 914-204-2354; Gene -- 973-615-9053

Please do not approach as we do not want to push him out of this area. As much as we would love for someone to call him and him come running, it is NOT going to happen. He is in survival mode.

If you see him and have the time to stop and just watch, that too would be helpful because you can then give us an idea of where he is headed. Don't get out of your car to follow him. That will push him into the brush and woods. If you are unable to stop and watch, please still contact us, we can get the tracking dog on the scent as fast as possible. The fresher the track, the better chance we have of finding him.

Hoping and praying today is the DAY!

Nov '17

Gene - I hope the little fugitive is apprehended soon. Has anyone in the Glen Gardner area gotten a picture?

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Gene: Here is some VERY writeup about a dog that was lost:

10:30 AM Monday: It seems that possibly Radley’s scent stirred Bella up and Luke spotted her headed our direction, presumably to get a better idea of what she was smelling.

So I took the food, got as close as I possibly could without driving her away, and sat on the soaking wet, freezing cold ground with a bowl of tasty, smelly food next to me. I didn’t move, talk to her, or look at her. I just sat and waited for over an hour and a half. This was my view.

12:00 PM Monday: Bella finally got brave (hungry?) enough to cautiously make her way toward me. She stopped about 10 feet away from me and started barking. Not a friendly bark either. I think she was trying to scare me off of the food. At this point I started to softly and calmly talk to her and slowly held out a piece of steak. I was so nervous - this was my ONLY chance to catch her. What if my frozen fingers didn’t react quickly enough to grab her? What if she freaked and bit me?

As she reached out to smell the steak in my hand, the most amazing thing happened. I watched as, within a split second, the realization came over her that this stranger was her MOMMY! I have never seen an animal so clearly have a moment of total relief and utter happiness. And in one second, it was all over. She was jumping and licking and whining and crying (oh wait, the crying was me!).

TL;DR...This was seriously the most harrowing experience I have ever had. I learned some very valuable information those few days and I'd like to pass it along.

If you have a sensitive dog who gets scared easily, do not EVER take them outside in a collar that they can slip out of. My dogs do not go anywhere without their martingale collars now.

If your dog is startled and is in a situation that could be dangerous (like standing in the middle of the road) DON'T freak out. They can tell and it makes them even MORE nervous.

If you suspect your dog has gone into "survival mode" but know their general location, don't call for them. Don't advance toward them. Sit and wait for them to approach you. A dog's nose is its best sense. Get another animal that they know, your dirty clothes, smelly food, anything to help "wake up" the part of their brain that recognizes it. They'll at least be close enough to grab if they still don't recognize you.

If all else fails, set up a trap or hire a team of tracking dogs. Never give up - this animal is a part of your family. They're scared and alone. I know someone who's still actively looking for a dog who ran away over a year ago.

Get your dog microchipped! It didn't help in my scenario, but it was good to know that her information was out there and if someone picked her up they'd know she was ours.

Make sure to get your dog's info out there: facebook, texts, craigslist, phone calls...etc. etc. I had total strangers out patrolling for her and by Sunday morning almost everyone in our township knew to drive slowly and carefully in the area where she was lost.

Nov '17

GENE: please read about shy, lost dogs.

https://lostdogsofamerica.org/categories/recovery-procedures/shy-dog-strategies/

Praying for you and Romeo.

Nov '17

******Tuesday Night Update********

We are still thinking that Romeo is out in the Glen Gardner area. But we are NOT giving up on the possibility that he is still in the Airport Road - Allen Road area. There was a sighting last night, 10pm, at a dumpster in an area where there are "NEVER" any dogs off leash. Unfortunately it was too dark for a positive identification.

Ah, the Glen Gardner area from Red Mill Road down to the Musconetcong. A sighting yesterday mid-day AND a photo. Yep, it was far away, so I've done the best I can to make it clear. Then, another sighting today in the same area around 11am. We have put out food and a trail cam to see if we can lure him out.

The good news is that he's staying in the same area. Here's hope we can get him tomorrow. If you feel like driving around the area, it might be good. PLEASE, call or text us with a sighting ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT. That gives us the best chance of getting to the sight.

Teri -- 914-204-2543 or Gene -- 973-615-9053

Thank you ALL for all your help in finding Romeo

Nov '17

Gene-
the church is the one whose address is : 439 West Hill Rd, correct?

Here is the link ( I just wanted to confirm this is the correct address) so I can look out for him asap:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/439+W+Hill+Rd,+Glen+Gardner,+NJ+08826/@40.7084953,-74.9225729,3a,75y,38.31h,77.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s*211m3*211y9926929325464748303*212y2390724355191790756*213m0*212m2*211x407085516*212x3545742201*213m2*211y9926928688172656803*212y4532665424405043249*215m2*211x407088353*212x3545740079!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c389a05abc010f:0x212d8f226b14dca4!8m2!3d40.7088353!4d-74.9227217

Nov '17

That is the correct location. (Just answering in case Gene does not see this tonight, and because I met Teri there yesterday, so I'm sure it's correct.) :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

******HOPING & PRAYING IT'S NOT ROMEO********

We had a report last night at 7pm that he was spotted on Route 31 in Glen Gardner. We went out and drove the whole area with no luck. We are back out now driving up and down 31. He was heading towards Clinton. Please call if you see him.

Teri -- 914-204-2543 or Gene -- 973-615-9053

Nov '17

ok, thanks !
Pray for Romeo, everyone !

Nov '17

****9AM ROMEO UPDATE****

He was seen on Musconetcong River Road at 7am. We were on our way there anyway. But he was gone. At least he's no longer on 31. He's probably back in the Forge Hill Road - Red Mill Road-Spruce Run Road area. Please call if you see him.

Teri - 914-204-2543. or Gene - 973-615-9053

Nov '17

Gene,

When you spot Romeo in person, how will you catch him??

are any drones looking around?

did that search dog catch his scent in that special area by the church?

they say that lost dogs might not remember t heir owners and come to them. Do you have any traps set out and are the traps safe?

Feel so sad for you. Stay strong!

Nov '17

Dogs never forget their owners.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Nov '17

Was out for 4 or so hours this PM. Had my drone up in two different locations. No sightings. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Saw a very large black dog around 4:30 in the Pequest Cemetery tonight. It appeared to be laying in the empty field - there was a Black Jeep Cherokee parked near it with the tailgate open - didn't see anyone in the area. Was about 75 yards from it so couldn't make out the breed.

Found it strange because the cemetery does not allow dogs - it would be the empty field closest to river in the back corner - no headstones. If I see it again will let you know.

You are a kind person Rebecka!

I kept an eye out for him as I traveled on 31 around 4:30. So many places he could be :(

maja2 maja2
Nov '17

Pequest Cemetery is well north of where we've been looking. I'll check it out.

Nov '17

I know this is FAR from where all these sightings are, but I saw a dog matching this description walking in an open field on my way home from work tonight. But that road is up off of 517. The field I saw him in was at the intersection where the yellow blinking light is which *I think* is also called Airport Rd, but obviously not the one in Mansfield. If the sightings are confirmed in such a different area, it is unlikely, but I just wanted to say what I saw in case there was even the slimmest chance it's him. I'm sorry you're going through this. God bless and safe home Romeo.

weebiekins weebiekins
Nov '17

Yep, that is called Airport Road. Can you be more specific as to the location on that Airport Road. I WOULD like to check it out.

Nov '17

I was coming down Airport Road approaching the intersection at 517 and there was a large mowed over corn field on my right hand or passenger side. The dog was walking calmly through the filed which caught my attempting bc it wasn't like it had just bolted out enjoying its new found freedom. I was heading toward 517 and the dog was walking in the oppsite direction of my vehicle across the middle of the field.

weebiekins weebiekins
Nov '17

*field *caught my attention

weebiekins weebiekins
Nov '17

Most likely not your dog - just a guy with his dog but just seemed odd to me he was in the cemetery that does not allow dogs and right across the street the Field of Dreams has dogs all over the place.

Definitely a black dog at least 100lbs - maybe the Black Cherokee will jog somebody's memory - the dog was did not appear in any distress. Will be up there tomorrow and will check out the exact spot and see what's up.

Good luck

Where is that Airport Rd??

I have a little extra time today and would like to go out and look for you.

Nov '17

Its the blinking light past Pub 517 - Airport Rd is the road to the left coming from town as 517 splits at that light.

Isn't Airport Road the area that Gene lives by, near the Airport in Mansfield?

Any updates, Gene.

Gene, if you have a fenced-in back yard, leave it opened. I hope Romeo is in your area again. Look a lot Today, it's going to be cold on Friday. :-(

Nov '17

Wow, that's a distance.

Any update from Glen Gardner or Mansfield areas?

Nov '17

That Airport Road/Route 517 area is north of Hackettstown, across the county line into Sussex County. Seems unlikely, but never know.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Nov '17

Hackresident - Different Airport Rd. Different town. Quite a distance.

Nov '17

*****FRUSTRATION DOESN’T BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!*****

Romeo was only sighted once yesterday at 7:00 a.m. on Musconetcong River Road. We spent the day searching and looking for him with no luck or other sightings. The good news is we believe he has circled back to the sighting area and, at least last night, we did not get reports of him on Route 31. Anyone in the Glen Gardner and Hampton area please stay especially vigilant. THANK YOU for all the cross posting, driving around looking and THANK YOU to those who have been especially gracious in letting us come on their property to search. This is emotionally exhausting as well as physically, but we won’t stop until we find him and bring him home. Please keep the info coming. We could use some help in posting and distributing more flyers. Please contact us if you are available to do so. Just to keep our numbers easy to access. Also, we haven't given up on the possibility that he is still in the Hackettstown vicinity.

Remember, we are driving around all day. It's hard to look at FB posts until we get to a real computer. Yes, we have smart phones but it's often too late by the time we see a post.

Please call us if you have a sighting 973-615-9053 or 914-204-2543.

Nov '17

I'm heading out that way now to look for him.

Nov '17

I have family along the River. Posted on Facebook.

maja2 maja2
Nov '17

That's an excellent idea for someone to use the of him abvoe and put it on the flyers. The first photo of this thread is EXCELLENT. Post them at crossroads, even on the roads themselves on trees and signs.

I hope you have him by tonight. At least he's still being sighted. Poor baby, tired owners......

Nov '17

I'm sure the car chase activity this morning didn't help.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Nov '17

Prayers sent that Romeo is found and once again safe and sound with his loving family. Amen

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Nov '17

Walking Girl - I thought the same thing. All the sirens and helicopters. Sheesh! Romeo stay in one spot so your papa can bring you home!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

why don't you try those humane traps in the areas he's been seen. may be a better chance of catching him than just chasing sightings.

zuma
Nov '17

*****FRANTIC FRIDAY!!!!*****

No Romeo and only one sighting yesterday somewhere along Musconetcong River Road in Lebanon Township/New Hampton around noon. We have not been able to confirm an exact location nor a time. We are working with professionals that have recovered missing dogs before. We need additional trail cams to borrow if anyone has any available. We have 3 feeding stations set up in locations where we have confirmed sightings on more than one occasion. We intend to set up more today. Thank you to all who have offered access to your property. We WILL take you up on it if Romeo is sighted near it. If you are out driving, you should see our posters at intersections in the area. If we've missed any possible locations, please let us know.

Here’s what we need from you good people if you see him. FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT – CALL US ON OUR CELLS 973-615-9053 OR 914-204-2543. This gives us the best chance of getting our eyes on him and possibly getting him to come to Teri.

Secondly and very important, we need you to note the exact location (i.e. street address, cross street, house color, closest road, anything that will help us identify the exact location). We need as precise a location as possible. Please tell us what he is doing. Is he walking, trotting, running, rummaging through garbage and in what direction is he headed. If you are in your car, stay in it and gather the info. Don’t try to approach. If you are out of your car, don’t make direct eye contact with him or move toward him. If anything, back away. This will hopefully help him think humans are not trying to catch him. I know this is SOOO hard because we all want to get him back, but we can’t afford to scare him anymore than he already is.

If by chance, you see a new post to a social media site that reports a sighting or location, please let us know via our cells. As much as we am encouraging everyone to call or text, there may be situations that prevent it, so if someone posts a sighting, please get the word to us via our phones. We may not see it right away as we are out looking, distributing fliers and putting up posters.

From everything we've learned, we have a good chance of getting him back since he appears to be in a relatively small area, although it seem vast to us. What we don’t want to do is push him out of the area.

All of your posts to social media are helpful, encouraging and we read them all. We may not respond to every single one, but that doesn't mean we aren't reading and monitoring them. We will probably not see them immediately because we are desperately trying to drive around the area, putting up posters, distributing flyers and keeping our eyes open.

Lastly, we could use some help getting more flyers distributed. We need to get them to vets offices, posted on telephone poles at intersections where people stop especially around the perimeter area where he has been sighted. For instance, he has not quite made his way out to Anderson Asbury Road, but it would be great to get flyers out that way as well as Route 31. Mail carriers, garbage trucks, school buses, any type of vehicle that travels the roads frequently and businesses that have a lot of foot traffic like local deli’s, food stores, etc. Any help with this would be much appreciated. While social media has been instrumental in helping us locate him, there are a lot of people not on it. We need to reach them as well. Many thanks to all that everyone has done thus far.

It is going to be cold tonight. He is heavily coated and will be okay, but the chill may push him out looking for warmth. Keep an eye out around your garages and barns as he may try to snuggle up near them or in them. Let’s hope we make some progress today. Patience has never been one of our redeeming qualities. Boy are we learning to take a deep breath and have some. So frustrating.

Nov '17

I was out looking on Mustenecong River road yesterday about 930am-1030an but didn't see him. Will continue to look.

Nov '17

*****Frigid Friday Night Frustration*****

We did not get any sightings of Romeo today but have been advised by experts that this is a classic case. Lots of sightings the first few days and the sightings slow down as he loses energy and tries to conserve energy or gets comfortable in a place and avoids people.

We are also concerned that we have way too many sightings to only have one picture of him. We plead with all of you, if you see him, do your absolute best to keep eyes on him, get a picture or video of him with your phone and try to keep eyes on him until we arrive while trying NOT to disturb him or pursue him. We know -- DIFFICULT.

On a positive note, we got lots of flyers out and posters up today. Thank you everyone for your help. More of this is needed tomorrow and Sunday. If you would like us to email you the flyer, private message us on "Help Us Find Romeo" and we will do so. We also have flyers available for pick up.

This will serve as Saturday morning's post. Please cross post and share this as much as possible. Also, please tell your family and friends who aren’t on Facebook or social media sites. The more people that are looking for him and who can report sightings, the better our chances of a Happy Homecoming.

Post from Rita Chesterton: "... Sightings are needed but (per Team Ruby) those sighting locations should not be posted on FB and instead texted or called ONLY to the recovery team and/or the owner." Thank you Rita -- Great suggestion. PLEASE, you in this WONDERFUL community, keep up the vigil. We need sightings to pinpoint Romeo's location.

Thank you again to this wonderful community of people and all the support you have shown us. We feel blessed to be a part of you.

Nov '17

Gene

Are your people telling you the best place to look?
Do they think he is following the river?

I'd like to help and look tomorrow.

Put an ad and photo in "The Treasure Hunt" out of Phillipsburg.

Nov '17

We are depending on sightings. Last sighting was yesterday mid-day in the Glen Gardner area. He's moving around a lot, so it's difficult to pin point a specific area. So, Lebanon Township, New Hampton, Hampton, Glen Gardner are the areas we are patrolling.

Nov '17

Winds are suppose to be light today if someone has a good drone might be a good idea

Emosewa Emosewa
Nov '17

How is your professional team working this issue to find Romeo ?

Nov '17

*****SUNDAY AND STILL LOOKING!*****

Call Gene -- 973-615-9053

Good news is that he was sighted multiple times during the last 24 hours in the Hampton, New Hampton, Glen Gardner and Lebanon Township area by drivers who had seen our posts or posters. Even better is that Teri actually saw him for the first time. Gene has yet to see him. Bad news is this means he is crossing Route 31 at times so please drive with vigilance and caution on Route 31. Keep your eyes opened -- particularly on the stretch between Hampton and Glen Gardner.

We received a text last night that a homeowner who stumbled upon him sleeping on her porch two nights ago. Understandably, she thought he was a bear initially, but the worst part was she wasn’t aware that Romeo was on the run. This is why we need to get more posters in these areas. Not everyone is on social media sites. Anyone willing to grab a staple gun and pick up posters, we will have someone at the McDonald’s on Rt 31 (by the old A&P) across from Anderson Asbury Road at 9:00 a.m. The posters need to be on telephone poles and not trees. Intersections where people need to slow down or stop are great. We need you to give flyers to your mail carriers and garbage men if you are able. Hang flyers in deli's, convenience stores, gas stations, vets offices, anywhere there is foot traffic. Hand them out to joggers or people walking their dogs, etc. The more awareness we can generate, the better our chance of recovery. We are confident we can recover him with your help. We will be in the general vicinity all day hanging posters ourselves and setting up more feed stations with trail cams.

We have been out since first light trying to get a very early start on posting signs this morning. We figure many people will be out and about. Thank you again for all your help and support. The outpouring is AMAZING. What a GREAT community we live in.

****NOTE****

He was just spotted at 7:30 this morning and they called Gene immediately. She was on her way to her son's wrestling tournament. THAT is what we need -- immediate calls from residents of that area. Let's get more posters and flyers out there

Gene - 973-615-9053 or Teri - 914-204-2543

Nov '17

Gene and Teri, forgive me if this has already been done, but can you please post your flyer here so I can share it?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

Did Gene get him this morning??

Nov '17

New update anyone? I was gonna head out with a friend to look..

Here is the poster of which we have been covering the Lebanon Township, Glen Gardner, Hampton, New Hampton area. If you are willing, would you post some in that area on telephone poles (NOT trees) or hand them out to friends and neighbors? Thank all of you for your fantastic support.

Nov '17

Done. Thank you, Gene.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

Just wondering if you could be more specific as to where Romeo was spotted on the porch and this morning? I live in Hampton and have personally been out looking for him. Seems like he is getting closer to my area. I live off of Main Street in Hampton. Hope today is Romeo's Day!!

Dog Lover Dog Lover
Nov '17

Saw on Facebook that Romeo is safe and sound!

The owners have him home??

Nov '17

Waiting to hear from the owner

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

I saw reunited too!

Molly
Nov '17

oh Happy Days

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

Hooray!! So happy he found his dog.

Petunia 17 Petunia 17
Nov '17

Yayyyy!! So happy that this story had a happy ending!

Dog Lover Dog Lover
Nov '17

Where I don't see it at Gene Sheninger Facebook account.

Ralphy Ralphy
Nov '17

Thank goodness Romeo is home safe and sound.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Nov '17

I can't wait to read the final chapter.................

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

OMG. I've been following this forever! I'm so excited and happy for the pooch and his family! They did a magnificent job! Whoo-hoo!

Martha Martha
Nov '17

Havent seen anything of romeo being found..

Happy789 Happy789
Nov '17

Update us with good news Gene.

Nov '17

Gene posted this on the Lost and Found Pets of Hunterdon County page. -->

Let's give them time to get Romeo home and checked out and cared for. I'm sure Gene will update us when he can. Hopefully with a pic of the beautiful boy!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Wonderful news! So very happy this boy is home. What an adventure and so thrilled for the owners.

Natari Natari
Nov '17

Gene and Teri: I'm SOOO happy for you! I've been praying for the last 10 days for you and Romeo. I'm beyond relieved to read this post just now.

I guess a lot of the readers showed up to help you today?

Please tell us the details of where and how he was found, and especially how you got him captured. So looking forward to hearing the whole story.

What was Romeo's reaction to see you - soon or later did he realize who you were.

YIPPEE!!!!! Congrats. A relief to your family and beautiful pet (and all us readers who have been following this story and trying to help you).

Nov '17

Glad he is home, am sure he will sleep well tonight. Thanks to all all helped look for him.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Nov '17

So happy to hear! Big relief! Happy reunion!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Nov '17

With all the dogs and cats that have been running away or taking their own little vacations it might be a good idea for pet owners to invest in gps tracking tags. There are a number of brands with different price ranges and from some reviews I’ve read there are some that are far better than others. They are relatively inexpensive and Clip on to a collar. If I’m not mistaken one will even send u a warning as soon as the little devil has left your property. This Would even make a great Christmas gift.
It’s wonderful how everyone who lives out here cares so much and are so thoughtful with their time and efforts and helpful whenever our little loved ones go missing.
I’m thrilled that Romeo is finally home. I hope that he’s doing ok other than maybe losing a few pounds which I’m sure he’ll put back on in no time with the goodies everyone will be showering him with.
I’m sure EVERYONE at that house will finally be getting some very much needed sleep tonight!!!!

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Nov '17

here are a number of gps type things: https://www.chewy.com/s?query=gps&nav-submit-button=
I love Chewy's for all my pet supplies - and you might too -

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

Great news that he is back HOME !

Janster Janster
Nov '17

Such wonderful news!!!! I bet Romeo is sooooo relieved to be home! I am sure Gene and Terri are relieved as well!!!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Nov '17

yeah!!! love happy pet news!!

So, so happy for his safe return home!

Great news!!! I'm happy for Romeo and for his family. Great job staying on his trail!

I have a Whistle GPS for my dog. It is a prior generation. She is small and it is large for her to wear all the time. So I only use itwhen she goes outside. Accurate to about 500 ft. Sends alerts and activity reports to my phone and via email.

maja2 maja2
Nov '17

Romeo is a very handsome striking dog. If only he could speak, we'd all love to hear his 10-day journey....... Romeo Romeo, where were art thou Romeo in the last 10 days?

Nov '17

****Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?******

HE’S HOME SAFE AND SOUND IN A WARM BED!!!!!!

Romeo was recovered this evening at 4:23 p.m. We can’t begin to express the thanks and gratitude to everyone involved. You are a VERY special bunch of people. We are soo thankful we moved into your community. There were certainly key people involved, many of whom wish to remain anonymous. They are the group of rescue trappers that have spent countless hours both day and night, walking us through the process, keeping us calm, and centered…..oh yeah, and organized. A special THANK YOU to the tracking dog and his partner that confirmed that the sightings in the Glen Gardner area were, in fact, Romeo. This allowed us to concentrate our efforts in this area with reasonable surety that we were on the right track. Your assistance and guidance were much appreciated. We all need to pay it forward!!!!! The rescue group provided their services at no cost to us. BUT, we will be donating to their organization. We would like to set up a site to collect donations for them. They need more trail cameras, feeding stations and, most importantly, more traps -- particularly LARGE traps for the likes of Romeo. You interested? The next lost pet could be yours.

Details???? Food stations and trail cams were set out by the professional trappers in the last area in which he was found. Two of those cams had real time (to a smart phone app) photos of the food station. They were able to pin point his location. Fortunately Romeo's owners cut short their vacation and flew more than half way around the world in order to help us with the search. They arrived here this morning. Their presence is exactly why we were able to recover Romeo. Several phone calls to Gene further pin pointed Romeo's location. Joe (Romeo's owner) went to the location and, with some coaxing, Romeo finally came to him. Check out this pic of Romeo's re-introduction to his best friend Joe. It doesn’t get much better than this!!

Last but not least, WE want to thank all of YOU! We could not have done this without you. What a community we live in. YOU ARE THE REASON WE WERE ABLE TO PINPOINT HIS LOCATION!!!!! I'll post some pictures of Romeo at the recovery. ENJOY! YOU MADE THIS POSSIBLE

Nov '17

Such amazing news!!! Now stay safe Romeo!

Katherine Katherine
Nov '17

So happy for everyone involved! Sleep well Romeo and family!

Mrs. Resident Mrs. Resident
Nov '17

Oh I thought Gene was the owner.
Anyway, so glad he was found safe and sound. He's a handsome guy.

Nov '17

Happy dance! So glad to hear it!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Yay! So glad to hear Romeo is home! That is excellent news!

Aquarius Aquarius
Nov '17

this was good news very happy that you have him once again be well and good luck

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '17

What a great picture. So glad to read this happy news this morning.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '17

So happy to see this update!! I've been praying he was found safe!!

kSmith25 kSmith25
Nov '17

So happy to hear this great news!

Bow Fly Bow Fly
Nov '17

The best we are a dog family and happy to know Romeo is home safe and what an effort on your guys end to bring him home. Congrats to u and all that helped!

Emosewa Emosewa
Nov '17

Please keep us posted on how we can donate, trail cams, large traps etc.

Bow Fly Bow Fly
Nov '17

How did your pet fare at the Vet's? Is he okay?

Nov '17

****ROMEO - Follow Up*****

Romeo is doing great. He is happy to be home and warm again. He will be getting a full vet check-up today and we will let you know the results.

Just a few follow-up items.

We just now received a call from a man (obviously not on Facebook) who saw one of our posters in a deli. He reported seeing Romeo by his house in Hampton a couple of days ago. We will be driving around taking down signs over the next couple of days. If you see a sign and are able, would you please take it down for us?

To all of you who lent us trail cams, we will be contacting you soon so we can return them to you.

AND, another great big thank you to all of YOU. Your help and support helped us to bring Romeo back home. The professional rescue trappers were WONDERFUL. Their countless hours spent, both day and night, their food stations and trail cameras and their advice that kept us going in the right direction was invaluable.

As previously mentioned, we would like to pay it forward to these good people who so selflessly helped us. Please read the go fund me post below. We are not looking to raise an enormous amount of money. Just enough to get them a few key items they still need like the live trail cams and a larger trap.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-us-find-romeo

Nov '17

Gene,
It would be helpful to know:

1) what town the rescue group is located in;
2) their contact information.

You stated above, "The next lost pet could be yours." You are correct, and I (and I'm sure many others) would be willing to give to a local pet recovery group. Goodness knows, pets seem to go missing in our town quite often. However, if we don't have any information on this group, how could anyone possibly reach them in a time of need?

If you are asking for monetary donations, I think it would only be right to give at least the most basic information about who the recipient is.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

I agree 100% Rebecka. More information is definitely needed. Also, many people prefer to make a donation directly to an organization rather than use GoFundMe.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

The rescue trappers contacted US from our Facebook posts. They are affiliated with Eleventh Hour Rescue which is located on Route 10 in Randolph, NJ. Their phone is: (973) 664-0865. You can see them on the web at www.ehrdogs.org/ The trappers are strictly volunteers, people like you and me BUT have been trained and are very experienced in trapping lost dogs. They have never missed catching a lost dog. They never asked us for money. Their time spent (I can't even count the hours) was free to us. There were three of them working with us. The one who coordinated the entire effort, lives in Stillwater. You can find her on Facebook -- Jeanette Sinisgalli Campbell. The one who was with us night and day lives in Long Valley but would prefer to remain anonymous. The third is a young man who lives in Mount Olive. Alex has future aspirations to go to school to become a veterinarian. Both of these people trained under Jeanette, their mentor. These people are strictly volunteers. They are paid in the pride of a job well done and the joy of reuniting lost dogs with their owners.

Nov '17

Thank you! That was very helpful. They sound like great people, and I think many of us will feel more comfortable giving now. Donation will be forthcoming. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Thank you for the information and very glad everything worked out.

positive positive
Nov '17

Glad you found your dog!

Summer fun
Nov '17

****ROMEO Vet Check****

Romeo visited his vet this afternoon for a checkup. A full blood workup panel was taken and will be available in a few days.

As you might imagine, he was covered in ticks. Over 100 removed and still counting. He was a good boy standing for over an hour while the vet and vet tech removed them. As a precautionary measure, and rather than waiting for him to exhibit symptoms, the vet prescribed a course of two antibiotics for Romeo including Doxycycline for treatment of Lyme. He lost 10 lbs during his ten day journey. He has some scratches and wounds which could just be from the heavy brush he was moving through, but those are also being cultured to make sure everything is okay.

The good news is he’s trying to put the 10 lbs back on in just a day or so. He’s eating well and lots. He is doing some whimpering at times but is improving daily and getting back to his loving self.

We will continue to keep you posted. Such a journey this boy took all of us on!

Nov '17

So glad he is doing well and the vet check was ok.

Natari Natari
Nov '17

****ROMEO, the Super Star****

I'm awed by the support for Romeo. I would never have guessed that a community could come together like all of you have. I'm proud to be a member of this wonderful community. In a world where hate seems to be in the headlines, it's about time that love makes it up there.

You folks have donated $1,955 towards that group of volunteer rescue trackers so they can buy more equipment.

Later, I'll post the details behind Romeo's retrieval.

Nov '17

You need to throw a yard party and invite all of us Romeo fans and supporters for the l.o.n.g 10 days we waited, helped and hoped for his safe return back to you and the owners !

Just make sure the gate gets closed and locked every time someone comes in to meet Romeo......

Interested in hearing the details behind Romeo's retrieval.

Nov '17

I believe Romeo's rescuers were the same amazing people that were able to reunite Duke with his family. (the dog from Hackettstown that was trapped by the mini golf place after missing for eight days.)

Molly
Nov '17

Yes, they are the same rescuers who were able to recover Duke. What a GREAT group of volunteers.

Yes, we are planning on a meet and greet for ALL of you to come and meet Romeo. You all are a special community.

Nov '17

Gene,
I am soooo glad you found him!
Please do have a meet and greet, I could use a shep hug session for sure !

A.

Joni Moore Joni Moore
Nov '17

Gene.
I personally would love to meet those volunteer trackers who helped you...
maybe we could all volunteer to bake some homemade cookies or yummies for them to munch out on...(cookie bake)..!!

Anyone else thinking the same thing?
Neighbor to neighbor, let's feed the volunteers that helped out as well !

Romeo, you are home! :)

Joni Moore Joni Moore
Nov '17

Details about Romeo's retrieval ?!

did you get the results of the blood work yet? Was anything out of range?

Nov '17

So glad the rescue group received some good cash to buy more equipment. They are special folks.

Still waiting to hear the story of the final day of Romeo's adventure!

Martha Martha
Nov '17

Impression I get - Geno was dog sitting - lost the dog and called in Patton's 4th Army to find him.

Which is fine and happy he was found but don't think he was upfront from the jump.
imo

Are you kidding? What does not upfront from the jump imply? If Gene started the thread with the words "I was dog sitting and I am missing.....would that have changed anything? Of course not- it is irrelevant. The time,effort, and resources he and others put forth to bring Romeo home was selfless and nothing short of spectacular. It is the epitome of a community coming together to help another in the time of need. I can only imagine how Gene felt the moment Romeo went missing. His actions from that moment forward clearly show what a solid, caring, responsible person he is. Just my opinion of course.

Agreed, Greg.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Nov '17

Greg, i’m just happy the dog was found and grateful for a community of dog lovers that were glad to have assisted finding the dog.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '17

Oh you didn't see the people post - oh it wasn't your dog?
lol

The people where and are great but don't think they got the whole story upfront...just saying.

Peace out

Holy cow, ru! This guy worked his butt off finding this dog, kept everyone updated, repeatedly thanked the community for their assistance and your going to call him out on this? Good grief! I can only imagine the amount of stress Gene was under during this time, it's bad enough to lose your dog but to lose someone else's, that would be awful. Very few people put in the kind of effort Gene and Terri did to find a dog. And let's not forget, this is a public forum, people are not under oath and the readers are not entitled to every piece of information. The goal was to get the dog back, and that is just what they did.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Nov '17

RU - why so skeptical? Do you think this was a scam or something?

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '17

...Finding Romeo... (movie/book title) was an amazing effort on the part of so many, with Gene taking every possible step - ... some folks just have to try to cut things down, can't tolerate the goodness... - ignore and move on

rleaf rleaf
Nov '17

I am so saddened to read this on Thanksgiving morning. The community came together not for accolades or a pat on the back. We all wanted Romeo home no mater the circumstances of his escape. We don't require a meet and greet of an already nervous dog. As for the retrieval of him that's Gene's decision of if he wants to share. I'm fine either way and kudos to all who put time and energy into Romeo's return. I'm happy the rescue group received some much needed funds for the next runaway. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Be grateful and enjoy life.

Natari Natari
Nov '17

Some of you people are ridiculous, I mean really. With all the things going on in the world this is what you are going to nit pick. All I can say is you people must have pretty easy lives if this gets your knickers in a knot. Stop already, go hug your families and focus on what really matters. I am done with this post, and everyone else should be as well.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Nov '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.