Homemade Tomato Soup

Wondering if anyone has a recipe for homemade Tomato Soup. I make several different kinds of soup but have never tried making tomato. I’m in charge of making the soup and would like a recipe that someone actually makes before resorting to finding one online.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

I make a few that are tomato-y but not straight tomato. Like my Mexicali soup. It's ez, can be vegetarian, and pretty much diy.

I did see a Pillsbury cream 0 tomato, but you said no online. I might try this one in that it looked ez.

None have I seen starting with fresh tomato.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '17

Im pretty comfortable with making soup from scratch. Being Polish soup runs throughmy veins. I can make sauerkraut soup tomato soup sorrel aka schav soup kid friendly chicken soup and tomato soup i make from chkn soup base..
Only thing is i dont do exact measurements per say.. Trial and error type cooking..
Have you made soup from scratch?
I make soup all the time.. I could eat it all year long! Lmk how i can help

I would be interested in a tried and true recipe too Bessie! Campbells has high fructose corn syrup in it. I tried the Ball blue book this summer while I was tomato canning but every version in there has something else combined with it.

Tomato puree with chicken stock or veg stock sounds like a good start. Hope someone posts one! If not I'm going to try this one. Taste of Home recipes always come from home cooks. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/simple-tomato-soup

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

Funny thing htownie, I would never even try tomato soup because my only memory of tomato soup was Campbells, yuck. I tried the roaster garlic tomato soup at Quick Chek (I think that's what it was) and fell in love with tomato soup, LOL. Now I try it whenever it's on menu somewhere. I had it at Mattars with grilled cheese croutons and it was delicious. So now I'm on the search for a good recipe. Will post it if I find one.
@Lina, I make soup from scratch usually every week or so and bring it to work for lunch. I found a copy recipe of the the vegetable soup from Cracker Barrel and love it, no meat in it, just veggies.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

I made this a couple times. Real easy and very good. https://www.google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-tomato-basil-soup-recipe-1940376.amp

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '17

Roywhite, do you use a food mill at the end or something else?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

Mattars may give you their recipe- you should ask. They have been known to give out recipes for some things.

Ya know Bess I don’t even know what a food mill is. I used one of those high speed food wand, hand blenders.
My super finicky wife liked it so it musta been/worked good.
Good luck.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '17

Amy's organic Cream of Tomato soup is delicious and no bad ingredients.
I'm fussy about my soup (I also make a lot of soup) and Amy's is excellent.

happiest girl
Oct '17

Roy, I have a hand blender too, was hoping you were going to say that, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

Oh if it's from Ina it has to be good!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

There goes another one...... After a decade or more, I returned to Campbell's tomato soup this Spring. With whole milk. Loving it, after this thread, I read the contents and there's that high fructose corn syrup.

I will be trying Amy's next......

Another American legend shot down........

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '17

It's awful how the hfcs is everywhere. About 2 years ago I noticed it was in Hershey's chocolate syrup. But they have the simply 5 version now that we buy instead.

As soon as the weather cool's down a bit more I'm going to try the soup recipes here. Thanks!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

Bessie - This is a little bit different: Start with your best marinara tomato sauce, add chopped basil and flat leaf parsley, sautéed onions, red peppers and garlic, Locatelli Romano cheese, tomato paste and heavy cream. An Italian twist of tomato soup. For those of us who need and crave protein: shrimp, crabs, lobster, beef steak or pork chops can be added to make a complete meal with cheesy twice baked or twice fried potatoes, or toasted brown rice and beans. Plus simple baby spinach salad with soup as dressing.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '17

Thanks for the recipe roywhite. Made it today and my whole family loved it. It will b in my collection all winter.

kikinj kikinj
Oct '17

Kikinj Did you make any changes?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

Salmorejo is a very good cold tomato soup that originated in Spain. It's made with tomatoes, bread, olive oil, garlic and sherry vinegar. The bread gives it a bit of creaminess.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '17

Campbell's is good with a blob of peanut butter

Common Sense
Oct '17

Common Sense - How about with some good cornbread? Easy to make or buy.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.