Plumber Recommendation

Our kitchen sink isn't draining anymore, I've taken the entire drain apart and ran the snake down the pipe to no avail. The clog appears to be quite far down the pipe but a couple of hard bends make it impossible to snake any further.

There is a cleanout cap on that particular line (I'm guessing someone else had this problem in the past) but as I've already dumped a bunch of drain cleaner into the pipe, I really don't want to open that cap.

I need someone that will come out tomorrow but won't charge a ton of money or try to upsell a bunch of stuff we don't need.

Anyone have any great suggestions?

MikeGuida MikeGuida
Oct '17

Frank's Plumbing 852-7324
I've used them for 30+ years, and they have been great to me, and have always come quickly when I needed them.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '17

Danny Schulaka many not be able to get there quickly, he's usually all booked up.

Nick Schulaka has more than one plumber and is very good about same day service. However, they do have a min charge. Last I knew the min was $75 and covers an hours work. They haven't tried to sell me stuff, but when I had a small job the guy offered to take a look at any other issue I had. And as long as it didn't need parts, it would be included in the minimum anyway.

You might try Gallagher's and see if they have a minimum.

Plumb Crazy: Kevin Kaiser: 973-945-4784.

He unclogged our sink and saved my mother-in-laws' necklace. Ends up my daughter's glitter was the root cause!

Nick Schulaka. Excellent.

TownFriend
Oct '17

Francos Drain Cleaners....908-238-1880--He even does sewer drains...We used him for a similar problem.

joyful joyful
Oct '17

Nolan Plumbing, Vienna, NJ.. Reasonable prices, wont sell you anything you don't need. Does great work. He can be tied up at times, but very trustworthy. Used him many times the last 30 years.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Oct '17

Ron Dill is my go to plumber. Super trustworthy, really explains everything to you. Responds to calls promptly.

(908) 892-6882

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '17

Bob Richards...VERY honest , VERY reasonable and does top notch work

http://onesmartplumber.com/

JMDDC JMDDC
Oct '17

Hi Everyone, I did a quick search of the forum and did not find this topic so here we go. Last night I discovered a small leak under the kitchen sink. It is coming from an old copper pipe that appears to be on of the mains to the sink. Most of the other piping has been replaced with PVC so we don't want to mess with this, it doesn't look like it's going to be an easy "run to Lowe's" simple fix. If you guys know of anyone local that also services Sussex County (Stanhope, Hopatcong area) I'd greatly appreciate recommendations. Thanks in advance!

SlowDrip SlowDrip
Oct '18

Eddie Koster is right in Netcong. He has been in business forever. He is well respected and a good guy.

973 347 7207

Eddie Koster Plumbing And Heating.

Based on this thread, I hired Bob Richards for some plumbing work. He returned my call the same day (and even apologized for not calling back quicker!). He showed up on time, a few minutes early in fact, explained everything to me in layman's terms, and did great quality work. On top of all that, he charged a very reasonable price; I thought it would be a bit more.

Prior to calling Bob, I had called 2 other plumbers recommended on this thread, and neither even called me back. I'm not mentioning any names because I know sometimes stuff happens. If you want a call back, then call Bob Richards. Even if he cannot help you for whatever reason, at least you'll get a courtesy call back to let you know.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Apr '19

What is Bob Richards hourly labor rate?

happiest girl
Apr '19

Highly recommend Danny Schulaka. I have been using him for over 20 years. Reliable and reasonable. 908-852-0541.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Apr '19

Hi. I am looking for someone to swap out my old drop in sink for a new one. Also I am changing my faucet. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced plumber for this quick and simple job? Thanks.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jun '19

Hello again. I need someone to fashion a stainless steel chimney to go from my over the stove hood to my ceiling. 'any suggestions? I have the stainless steel sheet already. Thanks.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jun '19

Its great how you say "quick and simple" job for the drop in sink. It surely won't make the price cheaper.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jun '19

If it were quick and simple- they wouldn't call someone.

In fact- as someone that does work for customers in their homes- that is the type of customer I would avoid right off the bat.

"fashion a stainless steel chimney to go from my over the stove hood to my ceiling..... I have the stainless steel sheet already. "

<~~~ that part really made me chuckle.

To quote the funny commercial on TV- "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works!!"

Come on. Dropping a sink n new faucets is relatively ez until something breaks n then might not be too much harder. Good chance u don’t have to sweat any pipes. Not quite sure about a mysterious stainless chimney. Nick Schulaka ain’t cheap but might do all three at once and he will blow through it if the chimney is ez which make it feel cheaper.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Jun '19

I think they’re suffering from HGTV-itis... Next request will be for a shiplap accent wall.

YeahRight YeahRight
Jun '19

Easy one: Ron Dill. Since we’ve lived i the area we’ve called him 3 times for various issues. 2 out of 3 of those times he fixed a quick problem and left WITHOUT CHARGING US! Class act all the way.

Consigliere
Jun '19

All American Plumbing is absolutely the best. I called at 7:00am, I received a return call from Brian @ 7:10am and he was at my house an hour later. The job was completed @9:00am.

Great work, fast and excellent service. I will never use another plumber again.

They are highly recommended.

Bobbob Bobbob
Jun '19

Yeah I'll do the quick and easy jobs for you. My rates are $125 per hour job must be two hours minimum.

Plunger Plunger
Jun '19

Two hour minimum defines quick n easy? Wonder how this guy answers “wanna quickie?”

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Jun '19

Yep, username checks out.

Consigliere
Jun '19

I also need a steel liner for a chimney and recommendations please

Up on the Roof - great honest guys who work on fireplaces and chimneys https://www.upontheroofchimneysweep.com/

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '19

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the folks on this thread who recommended Bob Richards! He called me back the same day and was at my house a few days later to do my repair. He did a great job, was super efficient, left the area he worked in immaculate, and is very reasonably priced. He is awesome and we feel really lucky to have found him. Had him back already to do a second job that we had needed done for awhile and he did just as great on that job. This man has an amazing work ethic which is pretty rare to find nowadays.

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
Oct '19

What's Bob Richards hourly rate?

happiest girl
Oct '19

Happiest Girl,
Not sure exactly what his hourly rate is. Best off calling him to get a round about/estimate for the job you are looking for. No doubt his rate will be at least competitive, but you won't get better attention to detail and quality work done !

JMDDC JMDDC
Oct '19

JRN: Mt. Freedom Chimney for liners and chimneys. Quite reasonable. (you probably have gotten it done already!).

Hackresident Hackresident
Oct '19

I had a clogged drain that needed attention. I called 2 plumbers suggested here. Got answering machine on 1 got a person on the other. Called at 2:25 said would have someone here at around 3:00 they got here at 3:10 diagnosed the main problem and the plumber was still not satisfied with flow. went on further and found a huge grease blob that was slowing things down. they cleaned up everything very neatly. Done by 3:45 he also explained everything showing what to do and how to check so I would not have to call him I check these things if the issue reoccurs, Price I thought was fairly reasonable. The Plumber is Koster Plumbing out of Netcong. I will be calling them again on any future plumbing problems.

Before contacting a plumber recommended here, I wanted to make sure they are currently licensed. I know this is an old thread but I went to lookup current professional license of both Ron Dill/Repair Champ (his website is meaningless) and cannot find any plumbing/home improvement license for Ron Dill or Ronald Dill or Repair Champ at all. One website he listed a plumbing license number, but it doesn't exist when verifying. Odd.

Robert Richards - onesmartplumber.com has an expired NJ Plumbing license, just FYI. He is based in PA, so maybe that is current, but not for NJ.

Resident101 Resident101
Mar '21

As per state law, any contractor advertising as a "plumber", must display their license number in the advertisement or on their truck.. now,not every employee needs to have a license. NJ does have a website to search for professional licensing. Good luck

Dadof3
Mar '21

@ Dadof3,

Thanks for the info.

I did go to the NJ website to verify licenses and that's where I found NOTHING for Mr. Dill. Even just looking up his last name. ZILCH. And Robert C. Richards (onesmartplumber) shows his NJ Plumbing license expired back in 2015 and was not renewed.

I just checked Eddie Koster Plumbing, Heating and Cooling. He does have a current HVAC license, but nothing for plumbing. Perhaps he has a plumbing contractor that works for him.

Resident101 Resident101
Mar '21

Chris Cool HVACR LLC
Roxbury
973-945-4000

copygirl copygirl
Mar '21

Eddie is good, I am almost positive he has a plumbing license!!

Dadof3
Mar '21

Plumb Crazy 973-945-4784

For reals For reals
Mar '21

Lloyd Grub in Great Meadows.
Good people and competitive pricing.
Prompt.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

TGM does good work, and they have a decent size 'fleet' so usually can get to you in a timely manner. Like everyone else, they are not afraid to charge you LOL but the job will get done right..

Itiswhatitis
Mar '21

G&B Comfort Services

Nick Schulaka Plumbing and Heating.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Mar '21

Plus 1 for Nick Schulaka

Gallagher’s plumbing

Camille parker Camille parker
Mar '21

I highly recommend Gallagher’s plumbing - very helpful and honest they even told me what parts I need and said I fix it myself ...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '21

Gallagher's Plumbing; excellent, honest (we had quotes from others) and local. Job was well done.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '21

Anyone know if Gallagher's checks their emails? I tried to call, but after the prompt to leave a message (no one answered) it said, please enter a password! I guess their message box is full?

And yes, @ Dadof3 Koster Plumbing DOES have a plumbing license, it was just under a slightly different business name.

Resident101 Resident101
Mar '21

Call Plumb Crazy. He is very good at getting back to customers and almost always answers.

973-945-4784

For reals For reals
Mar '21

We used Kevin at Plumb Crazy, who never charges to give an estimate and identify the problem (which is rare) - unlike many that charge you a hefty fee (try $150 [minimum 1 hour] on the one we just called) just to come out, regardless if they fix anything. And, I agree, he usually answers his phone, but too many times I've left a message or have been told he'd come by and then he doesn't show and doesn't call to say he's not coming by and that's why we have looked elsewhere for now, which is unfortunate!

Resident101 Resident101
Mar '21

I know this is an old thread but for anyone looking for a plumber - just called Rob Richards - got his name off this thread - he called me back within minutes but his answer was "don't think I can help you" - just needed to have new sink connected.

marjon marjon
Apr '21

Anyone know of local plumbers to turn off the pilot light and gas valve to a fireplace? Gas co said certified plumber could do it. I know some listed here are too far in Pa. It's just a shut off. I wouldn't want someone driving for that. LOL Wondering what the charge would be, too. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it very much.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Nick Shulaka - great guy! Went above and beyond for us.

Res 2 Res 2
Oct '21

Lloyd Grubb on Rte. 46.
Done right by me.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '21

Thank you, Res 2 and Stymie.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Danny plumbing f.. fast to respond fast to get the work done.. he is the best!

I give a second to Danny's Plumbing and Heating. (908) 852-0541
Right here in Hackettstown/Independence.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Oct '21

Thank you, JM and Mr. 4 Paws. Sounds familiar.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

I guess this is busy season. Still trying to get a plumber call back. I'll be patient.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

TGM --- I always reach someone and if necessary get a call back to set up an appointment

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '21

Never heard back from Danny's or TGM. Oh well. Time to move on, I guess. My stuff is non-emergency, but two weeks is a big long.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Dogday, is it natural gas? Call Region Energy

Oct '21

Lloyd Grubb in Great Meadows.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '21

Well, two things, Stymie - checked Facebook, clicked on the website and it came up in a foreign language. I then Googled him and I'll go try another company.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Located right on Rte 46 in GM.
Why don’t you just go down there?
Doesn’t sound like phone is working very good for you.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '21

I could read where he was, Stymie, but when your website doesn't work and when you Google someone and other things come up, sorry, just not using him. I'd also never just show up at anyone's business like that when a phone will do.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Maybe a stupid question but if there is a gas shutoff valve, why not just shut it off? (I have valves at all my gas users..stove, water heater, dryer etc, just for this purpose) no plumber needed

eapos eapos
Oct '21

Dogday, feel free to send me a private message, as for some reason I can't send one to you. It's pretty rediculous someone isn't available to put a pilot out and shut off a gas valve.

Oct '21

eapos, yes, there are videos and so on how to do it. I contacted the gas company and I'd rather have peace of mind having a professional do it, since it entails gas valves and shutting it off entirely. Thank you, though.

Forced4door, thank you.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Plumber Recommendation
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.