Aresenic in our water?

A list I wish our town was not on!

https://patch.com/new-jersey/westfield/arsenic-found-194-nj-tap-water-sources-new-report-says?utm_content=newjersey&utm_campaign=blasts&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

JB400 JB400
Sep '17

Residents should demand that Hackettstown HMU implement a reverse osmosis system to remove contaminants.
Who has experience with starting a petition or other means to get this job done?
Perhaps not paying our water bill until they provide uncontaminated water?

happiest girl
Sep '17

That scare article references a report from California EPW that recommends levels that are 2500 percent lower than the current EPA standards which had already been lowered years ago to 10 parts per billion. Our water is way under the EPA standards and is considered safe to drink.

I prefer to not drink toxic water....at any level. Also considering that this is the water I give to my pets. What do we do?

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Sep '17

Let's not panic here either folks - agree with MK - scare tactic article.

Arsenic is naturally occurring and yes, under higher dosages it is very toxic.

But, the levels in our water are fine, but if you're unsure, just use a Zero Water if you like. Might be a good idea if you have a compromised immune system.

But here's some info about Arsenic:

"Despite the toxicity, arsenic has several therapeutic uses. The element is an essential trace mineral for proper nutrition in chickens, goats, rodents, and possibly humans. It may be added to livestock food to help the animals put on weight. It has been used as a syphilis treatment, cancer treatment, and skin bleaching agent. Some species of bacteria can perform a version of photosynthesis that uses arsenic rather than oxygen, in order to obtain energy."

Full Article: https://www.thoughtco.com/interesting-arsenic-element-facts-603360

trekster3~ trekster3~
Sep '17

It is natural, just don't want high levels...

I don't have time to do the research but from I've found out about the source (EWG) it's a non-profit - their published financials look good, but they have a sister organization that is NOT a 501(c)3 but rather a lobbying company --- interesting. A lot of times a 501(c)3 will have what looks like a great donation/funding to services rendered ratio, only because excessive salaries are often hidden in a sister organization that provides 'services' to the non-profit.... in other words the EWG and their staff may profit from this....

trekster3~ trekster3~
Sep '17

Installing reverse osmosis on our HMUA water supply is not necessary. Besides, if installed it would come with a hefty cost that ratepayers would need to obsorb. No need for that. Reverse osmosis systems are installed when high levels of contaminants exist in the water supply. For instance, RO is used to make fresh water from sea water by removing the salt and other minerals. If you are concerned about the water from your tap, you can install a filter on the faucet or use one of the pitcher filters available. You can also install a reverse osmosis system. The RO system is installed only on one supply, usually the kitchen. RO is not required for whole house setup. If you choose to install a RO system remember it removes contaminants including minerals. This makes the water acidic. It's okay to consume however if you prefer alkaline water you can install a remineralizing cartridge, which reduces acidity by restoring some of the minerals such as calcium and magnesium.

Pumpkin43 Have you ever tested bottled water. Dr. Oz had a segment on his show and most of them were far worse than tap water. I'm well over 70 and always drank tap water. Had a well for many years and now have HMUA. The well was never tested, however HMUA is tested. My dogs lived to be 18, a border collie, 17 an aussie, and lastly a 70 lb hound 14. And an 18 year old cat.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '17

My little $.38 cent Walmart goldfish, bought back in February went from a 1" little thing, with barely, visible fins, to a "2 beauty, with gorgeous fins and a giant tail. Raised on HMUA water. No filter...just a fishbowl. I personally do not like the taste of tap water, having grown up, drinking well water. The goldfish? Haven't heard a complaint, yet. (LOL) He does love to "food shame", all the time. Constantly eats. As side note, and off topic, if anyone ever gets a goldfish, use TetraMin, tropical fish food, not "goldfish" food. My last fish, won at the spring festival, lived over 5 years.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Sep '17

I'm surprised anybody drinks the water here, it tastes horrible. Strong chemical odor and taste. The only thing it's good for is flushing toilets.

@trekster3~ your list doesn't include any natural benefit for humans. Knowing it can be used to bleach skin, and it's good for rodents is not reassuring.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.