Father David Leaving Saint Mary's

Surprised no one posted this but Saint Mary's Church will be getting a new Pastor soon, as Father David will be moving to Saint Rose Church in Belvidere to be their new Pastor. Wonder if the Bishop made this change, since he is a new Bishop and Saint Mary's School closed years ago and church enrollment is down. I wish Father David the best but hopefully they get a more upbeat and personable Pastor for that Church to revitalize the Church and down the road look to bring back the school.

Interesting that there is no letter from Father David on the Church website, just a brief mention of a going away/birthday party for him this weekend. He seemed to be very aloof personality-wise and that church needs new energy and a renaissance.

keepingitclassy
Sep '17

Father David devoted the past 20 years of his life to that parish and our community at large, selflessly helping countless people. He is loved and will be missed.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

Be glad you won't have the new priest that was assigned to Our Lady of the Mountain.
He is causing a lot of friction with the office staff, removing highly devoted musicians who have been serving for many years, and discriminating against females.
UGH. UGH. UGH.

happiest girl
Sep '17

We are members of the congregation and will miss Father David. Whenever we met him outside the church he was always warm and friendly. Catholic School enrollment is down statewide and it will take more than one new priest to bring that school back. He has been pastor for over 10 years in one church where the Diocese usually requires movement after 5 years. It means he was way overdue for a move so I don't think it was anything personal by the new bishop. He announced to the congregations several weeks in a row that he was being reassigned. If you attended church you would not have been surprised by his leaving.

Happiest Girl,
I have heard just the opposite about the priest at OLM. It appears he is well liked and gets along fine with the congregants there. Maybe you should give him a chance.

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Sep '17

Happiest girl, I am a parishioner at OLM and I like our new priests. I will check out your claim if true. In the meantime, I would refrain from saying bad things about our new priests.

Shirley Shirley
Sep '17

I left Saint Mary's years ago as Father David brought down that school and has ZERO personality. I am in another Catholic Church where the priests are likable, give inspiring sermons and the parishioners are more friendly. Sorry to say. He was moved to get church enrollment up. The man had no charisma and you could place a cadaver in Father David's place and it would be an upgrade. He let a dictatorial Principal ruin that school and could care less when the school closed. That Church would have closed if it was not for the increase in Spanish parishioners.

keepingitclassy
Sep '17

Plus he may have announced it weeks ago, but put a message on the website and put an insert of thanks in the bulletin. When the Pastor of Good Shepherd retired, he had a nice letter in the bulletin, on the website and was more personable than Father David. His replacements, Father Tim and Father Michal are great as well. Father David needs to go to Good Shepherd to see how to give sermons with meaning, care and compassion. He lacks that. Also, another great parish Saint Jude in Budd Lake and Peter and Paul in Great Meadows. Father David is the Todd Bowles of priests. No emotion and could care less, as I was someone who worked in Saint Mary's for many years and can tell you first hand.

keepingitclassy
Sep '17

Starting a thread for the sole purpose of bashing *anyone:* unchristian.

Speaking scurrilously about someone who is *leaving* a post, and hence there is no reason to do so: classless.

Disparaging a *priest* who is leaving, while purporting to be a practicing Christian, and simultaneously referring to yourself as "classy:" you should probably call Guinness now. You've set some kind of world record for irony.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

yes rebecka this name changer picked a real ironic name.

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '17

Wow! So true Rebecca and well said.
There's a glass house waiting to happen.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Sep '17

Happiest Girl- I am astounded at your accusations of the new priests at OLM. I left another parish in the area and became a parishioner of OLM before the new priests came on. I have found all 3 priests to be wonderful in their own way and I could not be happier with the new pastor Father Marin. He was absolutely heartbroken when he made the announcement that the cantor was leaving and his sermons have inspired me and he has a wonderful demeanor. I am happy to see the follow up posts from other parishioners who also question your accusations.

interested resident interested resident
Sep '17

OMG Rebecka, so true! Oops, maybe I shouldn't be saying omg?! Momma would be upset.

maja2 maja2
Sep '17

Well said Rebecka, I'm not of the Catholic faith but found the remarks very mean spirited. (Pun not intended) If they are truly Christian then name calling is not part of the teachings. Congrats to all the Priests in their new endeavors.

Natari Natari
Sep '17

interested resident - speak to office staff if you want information, one of them already quit. All the organists who have been there for years will be gone in 2 weeks, terminated by Father Marcin. Eucharistic women will not be permitted to hold the cup during Confirmation Mass, to ensure this there will be no wine at Confirmation, only the host.
Unfortunately this is all true.

happiest girl
Sep '17

In regards to OLM: I am a relatively new parishioner so I don't have an inside track to what is going on but I know this happens often in Parishes. People do not like change and they get easily upset when a new Pastor arrives and wants to do things his way, as he has a right to.

JBJKSJ JBJKSJ
Sep '17

They had a GREAT principal. St. Mary's was overwhelmed by the rush of "indigent" parishioners, who wanted free tuition.
Thank the Democrats and the train.

So "democrats", "the train", and "indigents" are totally unwelcome at St Mary's???

How Christian.

I have a very hard time believing that knowing many people that go there.

Lili your racist slip is showing. The Jersey tax situation, the Jersey job situation, the high tuition with no tax break, the exodus of families that can no longer afford to live here, and other factors like high maintenance costs that churches have to fund as student numbers dropped are the reason schools are closing statewide. They are closing in place places with little or no indigent population and where the train does not go. And for your information the Republicans and Democrats are equally responsible for all these thing happening in this state.

Thank you father David. When my sister passed away and it was a financial strain on the family , you went above and beyond to help. Thank you for all that you did on that sad day. We will never forget your kindness. Good luck to you in your future and God Bless you.

Hackmom Hackmom
Sep '17

Our family liked Father David.He came to my mothers home immediately to offer the last rites of the church.We still miss Father Stephen Bielen.

Bongo
Sep '17

Who is going to join an organization that made a living on molesting kids and covering it up for the last 50 to 100 years?

Is it any wonder their message ain't getting thru?

MK,
Plenty of people in the Church that feel the same way Lili does. Not the majority thankfully.
There are those having affairs, racists, etc-not only attending but teaching also in the Church. Talk about hypocrites.

Statistics have been done on these types of things. Churches are a great place to hide when you want to have the appearance of being holier than everyone else.

The positive thing to keep in mind once again is these are in the minority and most likely in the same amount as in the general public.

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Sep '17

Just because those people are everywhere is no reason to let prejudices like that be accepted as fact. Church attendance has been dropping for years for many reasons not only the covering of molestation. I love Hackettstown and the people in it no matter what their persuasion. There are good and bad people everywhere and they are not all of one color, religion, or heritage. It's a great little community to live in and I am downtown often, sometimes days, sometimes nights. I have never felt threatened, never had a language barrier problem, and often find everyone mostly helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Where's wheeling Bielen when ya need em'

Man took 5 dollars and turned it into 10.

ThaiMaster18 ThaiMaster18
Sep '17

As life long members of St Mary's we have to thank Father David for being a wonderful pastor since July of 1997. He made our church services a true celebration of faith esp. during the holidays. His sermons are always thoughtful, never judgemental & very inspiring.He had very heartfelt sermon today - telling his parishioners that wherever he goes we will always be his parishioners & he will always pray for all of us. He has always been very gracious to our family during happy & sad times & for that we are grateful.
God's Blessings to You -- Father David

A & B A & B
Sep '17

Father David had just come to St. Mary's when my father passed away. Father David did a wonderful Mass for my father's funeral. He was very compassionate and caring when dealing with my mother and myself, whom he didn't really know. He made a difficult time in our lives a bit easier. Mom passed away 2 years ago and again Father David was there for our family. He will be missed at St. Mary's, but it's nice to know he won't be far away.

I have been with St Mary's for over 20 yrs and Father David has always been good to me. I never go set confessions. I just go see him when ever I need to talk. He always makes time for me. I know first hand he can't say no to anyone in need. I find his homily's inspirational and directly related to the readings. As far as the school closing the thing Father David is guilty of is having compassion for family's that lost jobs and couldn't pay. He let the children stay with the promise that when the families got back on their feet. ( Isn't that what Christ would do) Well the families never paid. (Is that Christian?)My heart is broken. I will miss him so. Lets pray our new priest is like Father David but there will never be another. My all God's blessings go with Father David.

Laura S Laura S
Sep '17

Father David helped me keep my children in St Marys school from kindergarden to 8th. I was a single mom throughout all those years. Many months I fell behind and suggested I should remove them to public school. He did not want to hear that and told me to catch up when I could. By the time my daughter graduated 8th, I was able to finish my tuition payments. He was a good priest, best of luck to him.

lisa1 lisa1
Sep '17

If I was a religious person, I would pray that Lili's overt racism and negative behavior towards other people in her community would give way to tolerance and compassionate acceptance.
But I'm not, so I'll hope for the best!

kepa
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.