Pruning Advice Sought

I have two large Endless Summer Hydrangea.....This year I got some flowers but last year I got none. I believe that was because I cut back the wrong way/parts. They are now much larger than I want them to be. Can I cut them way back or do I risk no flowers next year? Help! Also how difficult are they to transplant...
Thanks in advance

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

I have friends with hydrangea bushes and they always wait until spring when new growth is showing. That is when you cut to the ground all the brown stems. The new growth will produce the flowers. As for transplanting, give them a wide birth when digging to avoid harming their root system

Terry b Terry b
Sep '17

Hydrangeas grow off of the previous years stems. You risk no flowers if you cut or transplant. They are not hard to transplant, but don't expect the kind of bloom you had before the next year, maybe the year after as well. If you cut last year, don't do it two years in a row. The deer get mine sometimes and it blows any chance of flowers. I've only had blooms two years out of 12.

Endless summer hydrangea bloom on old growth and new - so I know not to chop the brown stems---

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

Resist the urge to trim now. Spring is the best time for the health of the plant, generally speaking. That said, I can't comment on your species specifically.

Consigliere
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.