Willow Grove School Closed / Mold Remediation

Just got a message that Willow Grove school is closed tomorrow and Friday and possibly next week due to mold remediation

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '17

Thursday, September 21, 2017 all Willow Grove students are to remain home and not report to school. Staff is required to report to Hackettstown Middle School at their assigned time. For Friday,September 22, 2017 both Willow Grove students and staff are required to report to the Hackettstown Middle School at their normal time.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Sep '17

Its on the Hackettstown PD Facebook page.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '17

I am very much wondering how this is going to work. Luckily I am home with our son.

PREGNANTMOMMA PREGNANTMOMMA
Sep '17

Pretty scary stuff. There mold virus illness can be so bad - respiratory problems. I hope the district is using a reputable firm to work on it. Good luck parents!!

Dsl1929 Dsl1929
Sep '17

How long has this been an issue that they need to close with less than 24 hour notice. ..how long has this been an issue for our children who have been sitting in those rooms?? Staff as well.

The timing on this needs to be shared with parents /staff as well

B Ellen B Ellen
Sep '17

My son in 1st grade in WG they moved his classroom and other.kids on Monday afternoon. I spoke with a friend and said this had to be going on for a while. for the board of health to close a school down levels must.of been high.

cherbear cherbear
Sep '17

So is the middle school the "long term" solution to where these kids will be sent the whole time Willow grove is being worked on, or is that just temporary for Friday?

Summersplash
Sep '17

Well, we all know Mango wants to move the districts out of Hack.

Dsl1929 Dsl1929
Sep '17

Think it us reasonable to have the most recent reports from the County for inspections / current levels in each of the Hackettstown schools.

District needs to be totally transparent with this issue as it directly relates to its students and faculty.

B Ellen B Ellen
Sep '17

Fungus, not mold. Unsavory but not as dire.

Clarification
Sep '17

New Jersey has an Open Public Records Act (OPRA).

B Ellen B Ellen
Sep '17

Isn't it hazardous to have that many students in one building at the same time? What is the capacity rate at the middle school?

Lifer
Sep '17

I am curious if they are they able to utilize the community center as a temporary school? I ha e heard rumors about perhaps sending them to Great meadows for the week. I am hoping there is no truth to that.
I am anxious to find out where my child will be going next week, and what kind of hoops I will have to jump through to get her there.

Summersplash
Sep '17

What about renting St. Mary's?

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Sep '17

All,

The administrators are working and looking at every alternative to keep the students and staff safe while providing a venue to continue education.

The admin team is prepaing a plan both long and short term depending on the results of the tests which are continuing to be done today.

The board has asked for a specific timeline to be shared with all concerned, but right now the admin and staff are working together on ensuring all student & staff safety and what is best advised for continued education.

Every stakeholder has been brought in for assistance and guidance including HPD; school security; health dept; our sending districts and county offices.

Information and specifics once we have more to share are of great importance for all to know and a priority.

We will work towards for a viable solution, provide details how this happened and a plan to resolve it long term in this and all our buildings.

Thank you all for your concerns if you feel the need to call or e mail please do so.

Very Truly Yours,

Gus Bordi
Hackettstown Board of Education
President
gbordi@hackettstown.org

Gus Bordi Gus Bordi
Sep '17

WG School janitor Bob Petty warned administration 2 repeat 2, years ago there was mold in school, now they're panicked and have to scramble to move kids all over.

OldSam
Sep '17

Children just said Channel 4 News was at the middle schoil today??

B Ellen B Ellen
Sep '17

To Clarification response.

It would appear unsavory would not warrant such an urgent need to remove children and staff...

B Ellen B Ellen
Sep '17

B Ellen

Just pointing out that mold was never mentioned.

Clarification
Sep '17

As announced today by David Mango, WG kids will go to GMMS and Central school. After a few weeks, BOE will say students are co-mingling nicely. BOE gets early wish to regionalize district. LOL

mike l mike l
Sep '17

The Remediation project is slated to take about four weeks so the WG PK-2nd grade students will be attending GM that whole time and bussing Will be provided for those poor little kids while third and fourth graders will be at the middle school

That makes no sense ,imo

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '17

Does anyone know what specific fungus this is? Have asthmatic kids been getting sick? It concerns me that they're not naming the fungus since they run the gamut as far as potential for causing sickness. If they know what it is, they should be releasing that.

Orange Orange
Sep '17

Several upsetting factors in play:
-Fungus doesn't spread through 13 classrooms overnight
-No one is stating what type of fungus this is. That is very concerning
-The superintendent and BOE did not have an emergency management plan in place already
-This is distruptive to students, parents and faculty in Htown and Great Meadows. Everyone will make it work and Mango will get his redistricting wish

Frustrated family Frustrated family
Sep '17

I agree with an earlier poster on this thread. I know Mango is also Superintendent of Great Meadows, but why not use Saint Mary's School? Right in town and makes a lot of sense and would not disrupt the operations of Great Meadows schools during this time. Makes no sense.

keepingitclassy
Sep '17

Mold is a fungus, I believe. If I had kids there I would want to know exactly what it was

Nosila Nosila
Sep '17

Who is responsible for not knowing or for lack of inspections on this matter

Lou Wanda Lou Wanda
Sep '17

I doubt St. Mary's is ready to throw open it's doors for a Monday school day. I also doubt this is part of Mr. Mango's
( diabolical? lol ) grand plan of redistricting.

And there is no doubt, whatever the definition, it should be addressed and the kids relocated.

Clarification
Sep '17

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Fungus-New-Jersey-School-Hackettstown-446540013.html

maja2 maja2
Sep '17

So I have to ask: why was this issue not taken care of in the summer when the children were NOT in school? We are only two weeks into this new school year.

This certainly sounds like a "political" move.

Bernie Bernie
Sep '17

Once again the people of Great Meadows School District get screwed. Mango is clearly not looking at the best interests of our children. What impact is this going to have on our children.

Mold does not happen overnight. Isn't every school inspected during the summer months? Mango and Bordi should be removed. Hackettstown should be calling for a vote of no confidence for this. How can administration not know about this and do something before the Board of Health comes in and shuts down the school.

This administration is a total embarrassment. Mango looked and spoke like a complete idiot on the news.

IndyFB2 IndyFB2
Sep '17

I agree, Bernie and I think this just further proves that Mango is an awful Superintendent and the Principal at Willow Grove should also be held accountable for not making sure his school was inspected and safe. I would not be shocked if QSAC (a monitoring process committee by the state comes in and looks at the districts infrastructure and management) comes and monitors Hackettstown now. Mango and all of his inept administrators, from the high school down to Willow Grove need to go. The swamp of Hackettstown schools literally and figuratively needs to be drained.

And Clarification - you are wrong. Saint Mary's would be ready to be opened as that building has been used since the school has closed for CCD and church events. Mango just wants to use his other districts schools to redistrict.

keepingitclassy
Sep '17

Bernie, I guess they were busy doing water tests for lead and pest control. They sent home 3 of the same paper with one of my kids about those tests and treatment. But hey, they are conserving on paper.

A neighbor jokingly said this is the dry run to send our kids to GMRS in the future. Then the phone call came today yep.

A fungus can spread pretty quickly. Sometimes a fast as 24-48 hours in the right conditions so to say this should have been resolved in the summer is wrong as it might not have been present then

Also I get some are not the biggest fans of Mango's but to imply he purposely put our kids health in danger to push a redistriting agenda is obnoxious

St Mary's has been vacant for awhile and is privately owned. I doubt it would be possible if to get an agreement In place and the building up and running by Monday

It's going to be a tough four weeks for WG the middle school and Great Meadows schools but the only way to make it as smooth as possible for the kids is for everyone to work together. Thank you GM for accommodating our kids

Jim L Jim L
Sep '17

Thank you Jim L. Before anyone goes any further on this topic please have your facts in order. Fake news at its best going on in Hackettstown.

Noele1 Noele1
Sep '17

St. Mary's is currently being used two days a week by two different Home-Schooling groups - I assume their leasing the space precludes any outside groups from utilizing it - at least on those two days.

Spence Spence
Sep '17

Great Meadows always has to clean up Hackettstown's messes.
We need to collect rent from Hackettstown for this. They already OWE us 2 million.
St. Marys would have been a Much better option.
Mango does Nothing to benefit GM.
Fire him!!!

Why do people think that any and every single thing that goes wrong or that isn't within the confines of what they consider normal an attack on their way of life?

If a toilet in Hackettstown backs up is it Mango's fault?

"I don't want any of those damned Hackettstown kids using my bathroom." ??

Clarification
Sep '17

Old Sam says that WG janitor Bob Petty told the administration about the mold/fungus two years ago. Seems like no one listened. Wonder why?

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '17

Jim L. you are a sitting Councilman and you are calling constituents who disagree with you "obnoxious?!" You do not get how to be a public official. People will disagree with your positions and you have to respect them. Are you a crony of Mango's? The man is like a political boss and is obnoxious and classless and has no business running our schools, nor does our current "Acting Principal" at the high school. Saint Mary's posted in their bulletin they are hiring a custodian for five days a week, so even with home-schooled students in there, that place would have been the best option, not Great Meadows, period and you should want the students to use a facility in the Interim in YOUR town, not Great Meadows.

But really, Jim L. it is disgraceful for you as a Councilman to call residents who disagree with you obnoxious. The council should have picked Mr. Bristow to fill that council seat as his name was submitted when there was a vacancy as well and he and many other people have much more class than you. Be ashamed of yourself for acting this way as a public official. Plus you should not be on Hackettstown Life giving out information that only town officials are privy to, which you do on this post and other HL posts. You are violating the Sunshine Law if you even know what that is.

keepingitclassy
Sep '17

I love it how great meadows folks are saying they clean up Hackettstown's mess and are getting screwed. Grow up people, its about the kids and their safety and if the GM schools can accommodate these kids then that is the best option. GM schools were sent to Hackettstown a few years ago if I recall correctly. Great Meadows parents also have no problem sending their kids to Hackettstown schools for sports programs and using Hackettstown facilities.

infiniti2510 infiniti2510
Sep '17

H-town Mama , the reason the k-2 are going to great meadows is by code the classrooms need to have bathrooms and the middle school does not have the facilities available.

infiniti2510 infiniti2510
Sep '17

So because someone anonymously says the janitor said there was mold 2 years ago we're supposed to believe them? You rather believe that our board knew for 2 years there was an issue and did nothing about than believe the problem just arose and the board acted quickly?

Jim L Jim L
Sep '17

Not saying that is the case Jim L but I know Bob Petty and he is a straight shooter and a stand up guy. I guess Old Sam just made it up.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '17

Thumbs up Jim L.

Facts from a credible source.

Clarification
Sep '17

All props and due respect to Mr. Bob. The inquest will or will not reveal who knew what and when.

Now get ready, here comes the fun...

By the way, "GM" you can't spell fungus without

F-U-

N!

Clarification
Sep '17

There is a Fungus among us.

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Sep '17

"All props and due respect to Mr. Bob. The inquest will or will not reveal who knew what and when".

I seriously doubt anything will be revealed in this so called inquest. Hopefully I am wrong.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '17

Ok I went to bed and it looks like I have a new troll. Or an old troll that changes names.

Yea coming on HL anonymously and implying that Mango purposely put the health of 250 of our kids in danger to push along his redistriting is in my opinion obnoxious. I have no problem saying that and will gladly say to your face

Second Joe Bristow is a great guy. I sit next to him on the planning board. But He had no interest being on council when he was nominated

"not Great Meadows, period and you should want the students to use a facility in the Interim in YOUR town, not Great Meadows."

Who said I didn't think St Mary's was the best option or I didn't want our kids to go there? I just said I doubt an agreement could have been put in place in time for Monday.

Finally please let me know what privy information I have ever posted on HL? Cut and paste 1 example. Any info I pass along is only after it was discussed at a public meeting , you know those things you probably don't attend.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '17

Kudos to Hackettstown School District for handling the situation as quickly as possible - moving an entire school is no easy task and to try and do so without losing educational time. Count your blessings that there has been no reported illnesses from this.

Some people on this forum do not want to recognize the challenges (state laws) and facts on this situation. I feel for the Staff, Students and Parents for the drastic change in their routines, but from what I can see this is the best option and we should be thankful that there is a neighboring district with appropriate classroom space to accommodate our students, just like we did for them when their MS was under construction.

If GM was unwilling or unavailable this situation would be far worse.

Parents can use this as a teachable moment on how to handle the inevitable 'monkey wrenches' of life and how to work with challenges.

Just be thankful that there will be a school to come back to, unlike many communities in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and Mexico City.

trekster3~ trekster3~
Sep '17

+++++trekster3!! Spot on.

rleaf rleaf
Sep '17

Trekster3 ~ As always, the voice of reason. Thank you.

colette colette
Sep '17

Fantastic post, Trekster.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

AMEN Trekster3. And you know what, the kids will love having something new to enjoy.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '17

It is important that Bob Petty be contacted. If the board or anyone else knew that is a serious issue. Does anyone know how Bob can be reached?

Dakdar Dakdar
Sep '17

Thank you Trekster3..........an inconvenience not a disaster. Count your blessings people.

Nancy Snovet Nancy Snovet
Sep '17

Please stay on point.

What type of mold is this?
Share inspection reports.

This is about the safety of our children and staff

B Ellen B Ellen
Sep '17

Appreciate Jim L and Gus Bordi posting here. It's a rough crowd.

Would be a good next step to post more details about what fungus was found and any update about proactively inspecting the remaining school buildings. Both in this forum and on the school website.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

My guess is we all grew up in schools that had worse things growing inside the walls that we may or may not have known about. We just didn't have people freaking out about it. Most of us probably have worse mold in our homes we don't know about. Has anyone ever demolished their bathroom? What did that plywood around the toilet and shower look like? Always pretty nasty.

I took a safety class once with an instructor who went on and on about the perils of mold, germs, etc. I asked him how he lived his life worrying about all that. He replied he and his wife hadn't eaten out or gone to a movie in over 20 years.

Now THAT is truly scary.

USS Nathan James
Sep '17

I was pleasantly surprised this morning at the level of organization at the Middle School. Truthfully, I expected chaos. I had both a middle schooler to drop off and a second grader from Willow Grove so one went to the front of the school and one went to the back of the school. The staggered drop off times apparently worked well as traffic was actually flowing better than usual and I was able to pull up to the curb in both the front and back for drop off. The crossing guards did a great job in keeping traffic moving while still safely crossing the kids. The teachers were all outside to greet and gather the kids and put them at ease. All in all, the BOE has done a great job handling this situation with only one day of school missed. As far as we know, no one has been sickened by this fungus so everyone just needs to chill and make the best of a bad situation as an example to our kids.

Pamela Pamela
Sep '17

I looked into it a bit. Mold is a type of fungus, but not all fungus is necessarily mold, for example yeast. So it might be mold that they are calling fungus because it sounds less scary and is technically true. In my opinion, if they know it is mold, they should call it mold. It's like referring to Zika only as a "virus." While technically true, it's a major downplay in seriousness. The health of our children is at stake and word games aren't appreciated.

As per the Warren County Health Department, the specific type of fungus is still being investigated. I didn't ask anything further (like if it is actually mold), and only spoke to the person who answered the phone at their general number, so it's possible that more might be known by someone else in the department. I don't really know how that works, if an investigator is assigned, etc.

If anyone else wants to call.....(908) 475-7960.

Also, anyone can submit an OPRA request to the district to get copies of any environmental testing. Here's a link to the form.

https://www.hackettstown.org/Page/81

And any health department reports are made available to the public upon request. So there are ways to get the information we are seeking.

Orange Orange
Sep '17

The bottom line the schools here are old, in bad state of repair and should have been re-modeled, or renovated long ago. At least plans should have been drafted decades ago and we should have state of the art schools today. This town is horrible at planning, and anticipating. It's a small town that has gotten larger and doesn't want to grow.

I see it has a failure of town politics, both Hackettstown and Great Meadows.

Mickey Mickey
Sep '17

you need taxpayers to agree to spending that kind of $... BOE presented plans a few years ago and it was quickly shot down, redoing the line was chosen as it was the cheapest way. you want state of the art schools? you willing to pay for it? You able to get residents in town with no kids in schools to agree to higher taxes? good luck with that

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '17

Are taxes are pretty high all things considered, yet the ROI seems not quite par. This problem with the schools didn't just happen during this administrations watch. It has been ignored for decades, as I said. Poor town planning and development period.. It happens over and over here. Plans to add new residents by building apartments/condos, yet no plans to add or improve infrastructure to accommodate it.

If this isn't an example of status quo then I don't know what is.

Mickey Mickey
Sep '17

Mickey:

The new proposals presented a few years back were made with the new developments in mind. They were shot down by us, the people, in favor of moving the line.

According to the BOE, there are new proposals out there and being considered by the districts and are being presented in a public meeting in the next month or so.

So as per usual you are commenting on something you obviously have not looked into at all. Here's a tip: pound away your frustrations on your keyboard, then walk away for ten minutes and come back and re read it before you hit send. You'll be glad you did.

USS Nathan James
Sep '17

Mickey,
You are right. This is why the pensions are 49 billion in debt. Old timers/and middle age timers voted for entitlements and benefits that exceed what future debt holders can pay. All that needed to be done was for these issues/debts to be paid as they occurred. Same way you would pay your credit card on time. But just like you are complaining about your taxes now, so did they back then. The exception is they gave themselves a better deal then the one you received. If you think your taxes are high now, wait until this debt comes due.
Remember this at contract time.

" It has been ignored for decades"

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Sep '17

Janitors need to actually clean things (with bleach) and maintain things. I have seen the Hackettstown janitors hanging out / hiding out. And there is also a Night cleaning crew!!
40 years ago, the 1 janitor worked his butt off, and the schools were clean, with shining floors. Now? It's a joke.
Let's have some accountability here.
Maybe it's time to hire non-union people who aren't afraid of using a mop.

Yeesh - Old Sam

I know Bob - did you have to throw him under the bus?
Couldn't you just say an insider told me it had been reported a few years back...duh hope he doesn't lose his job...

Discretion - the quality of behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense or revealing private information.

Lili, the cleaners are not union, they are an outside company. The former janitors cared about their buildings and took pride in them. The few that are left during the day are busy with a lot when everyone is in the building.all the real cleaning has always happened at night, and those are not union.

Have you ever seen fungus grow? There is no way this was there for two years. Maybe it was seen then and taken care of before it got bad. The school did mention that there have been ventilation issues for a while.

He might be able to have a nice settlement if they fired him in retaliation.

I really can't believe anyone would think Mango would do anything like this on purpose. You are entitled to your opinions on him but I think it is disgusting that any would really think he would do this on purpose. He would not do something that could cause health problems to the children and staff. Not for nothing but I think they came up with plan of action on where to send all these kids during the clean up pretty fast. Fact is they have to house them some where and as a community (Hackettstown/Great Meadows) they are trying to make the best of this situation.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Sep '17

So Lili from Great Meadows claims the janitors at Willow hang out. How does Lili know this? She did say all the Great Meadows Moms are stay at home ladies of leisure. As a lady of leisure does Lili stalk the Willow Grove school to witness the janitors hanging out? Lili, let us all know when and where you witnessed this hanging out. Also be very careful, you may run into indigents while you hide in the woods stalking a school that is not even in your town. That big bad train goes behind the school, although you may find all the money we stole from you. Maybe it was buried back in the woods by the train tracks.....Don't forget Lili, we want to know how you came up with all this.

OMG - time for some group therapy for this forum - sensitivity training - perhaps meditation -
and some lessons in patience, human kindness, thought- full - ness

SMH

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

HL at its worst...we wonder why our kids are the way they are, you only have to look at most public forums to figure it out. Hope everyone’s kids are making the best of this situation and it all goes back to normal soon.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '17

RU - Apparently you can read but not comprehend. Custodian was not "thrown under the bus", Bob does an excellent job and had done so for years, he DID report to administration exactly as he should have and I'm told several rooms were closed off but that was it. The "suits" dropped the ball with this. Mold spreads, and not necessarily quickly; surprise - surprise - surprise as Gomer used to say.

OldSam
Sep '17

I may have missed it if it happened but has anyone on the bord or Mr Mango made a statement. In a leadership role when there is a public forum stating many different opinions someone in charge needs to make a statement if not just to Satisfythe public.

Lou Wanda Lou Wanda
Sep '17

Lou - if you read through rhis threaf, you will see that a board member made a statement on here. It is near the beginning of the thread.

Hopeful Hopeful
Sep '17

WGM
I worked there 12 years ago. Before I had a child.

Yah - whistle blowers don't fired anytime - lol
Your an idiot - the first thing they do is fire the person who blew the whistle.

Why do you think there a Federal Whistleblower Act?
Cause people get fired when they raise their hand and say there is a problem over here.

Peace out

But a Federal Act - would not be covered by a state - county - town - school worker - but whatever you blew him up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower_Protection_Act

ru

There is one in NJ

I see this everywhere.. so many people on the job trying to get away with the minimum that they can do and still get a paycheck. Customer Service is a thing of the past, if you have a problem you have to fight for yourself, and be very patient with phone prompts and waiting on hold.

There is a subtle pressure from co-workers sometimes if you are doing the best job that you can, to slow down so the others don't look bad. Immigrants in general seem to have a stronger work ethic than many American citizens.

Imagine how great it would be if everyone just tried 10% harder, or took more pride in their work. This kind of issue probably wouldn't happen.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

Hktownie I agree eventhough off topic. I have had friends go from private to union and asked to slow down their pace. Bottom line is unions have given the employee a laziness attitude. They are protected and work less hours and get paid more than most people. I don't blame the worker for that, but the system. Hopefully they realize how fortunate they are. The immigrants legal or not are very hard workers. Our kids including my own don't understand their work ethic. Yes they live 10 in one home but they do work and are very responsible to say the least. I agree have our own kids work 10 perecent Or more harder and that would help us tremendously.

Lou Wanda Lou Wanda
Sep '17

So I have to ask: why was this issue not taken care of in the summer when the children were NOT in school? We are only two weeks into this new school year.

This whole mess certainly sounds like a "political" issue.

Bernie Bernie
Sep '17

Bernie do you have evidence there was mold present during the summer? If not then I'm not sure I understand your question. Because the only evidence presented was there was mold discovered last week and the board took an immediate response

Jim L Jim L
Sep '17

My mind is blown by the taxpaying citizens in Hackettstown. My only hope is that they are waiting for election day in November!
Some have bantered around a vote of no confidence for the superintendent, while the BOE really should also be held accountable for the long list of "issues" currently plaguing both districts. The amount of congratulatory back slapping(even the town council is taking a turn,sad) about how well administration has handled this most recent incident is irresponsible. This happened on their watch, and we are just going to let them now tell us, all is well? Be more skeptical, this current issue is about children's health.
Sure, they are handling it now, did they really have a choice?
Don't get me started about the case managers for CST that still have not been properly filled(that is violation of law,no?). Oh right, they solved that by just adding to current managers case load, are you sure that all IEP's & 504's are complete and fully being implemented?

After several hours of research & phone calls, the only people that can put forth a vote/motion of no confidence are the members of the union. As residents, the only recourse you have right now is a petition, and the voting booth.
Again, if change is what you really truly want in order to make your and your children's lives better on a daily basis-VOTE. We can't change the super, yet, but we can change the BOE.
Willow parents still do not have results of the testing, but Hatchery Hill does. What up Hackettstown, are you really happy with the way this district has been run over the last couple of years, REALLY?!

sunshinedaydream sunshinedaydream
Sep '17

https://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm#

CDC mold info...

justintime justintime
Oct '17

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3691.pdf

Forgot the link to OSHA's recommendations...

justintime justintime
Oct '17

The environmental report was posted on Willow Grove's website last week.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '17

https://www.aiha.org/get-involved/VolunteerGroups/Documents/BiosafetyVG-FactsAbout%20MoldDecember2011.pdf

The AIHA take on the subject...

Overall a pretty interesting subject. For instance, the report on the website wasn't very clear regarding relative indoor/outdoor numbers, neglected to state the margin of testing error to give the numbers perspective, nor does it comment about Basidiospores and their health hazards. Facsinating stuff actually.

justintime justintime
Oct '17

There is important information missing from the environmental reports being posted. Like, what are the action level numbers for each building. In other words how high do the counts have to be in order to require taking action.
There will be no OPRA records, because they have not taken samples before this.
Also missing thus far is information about who will be doing the investigation about who knew what and when. There is reliable, but anonymous reporting that at least administration knew. The BOE must address, and provide a third party investigation with at least a timeline of reporting.
Enough is Enough with the lies, or innocence by omission.

sunshinedaydream sunshinedaydream
Oct '17

Understand mold has been found again at Willow Grove - BoE had to spend a fortune on remediation (and no insurance) and apparently it's back. Should be spending and not scrimping on proper janitorial service.

ExTownie
Jun '18

If you listen to the board meeting they’ve talked about it. I believe they had insurance though - at a recent meeting they were talking about changing insurances but with the claim it might not work but took that convo offline.

I know myself and many Willow Grove parents are really frustrated by the fungus/not mold issue that was in our school and the questionable Robo call we got today. Both classrooms referenced today are first grade, including my daughters. The BOE response to a parent asking about how it was fixed was better and thorough cleaning as the prevention because to address the root cause was much more expensive and not in the budget.

We put together a survey if you are a WG parent, please take a look and answer if you have any thoughts/feedback. Once we get enough responses, we will share this with the board/Mr. Mango.

Please share this with any WG parents that might be interested.

Take my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3FHVCYN

JamiCavanagh JamiCavanagh
Jun '18

I know first hand what mold(you can fool only yourself continuing to say fungus) can do!!! It's why I've ended up in this awful Mansfield village from 11years in Netcong heights.I had to throw out EVERYTHING I owned!! EVERY piece of furniture,article of clothing,and electronics cuz it gets in the fans.I had over 150 different symptoms happening at the same time from hair loss,skin breakouts,breathing problems,couldn't even count money or remember words,couldn't remember how to get home,extreme anger,burning skin,dizziness,nausea to sensitivity to alcohol,seeing black spots...the list goes on and on! My 2 cats got sick and my Iguana died.People,for some reason,act very funny when it comes to mold.It's difficult to prove,it's microscopic,people are uneducated,there are no laws,no government agencies to help, very expensive to remediate(if not torn down) & insurance has issues covering it and if proven huge lawsuits...so yes even your trusted school district might very well mislead you on this one.I couldn't get netcong heights to admit anything or doctors to diagnose me! There's only 1 labs in our country that does the mold testing for human diagnosis and it's over $700 & I'm almost positive no insurance is accepted. Remediation efforts are commendable however too little too late especially if the source of the moisture is not found and also fixed.The safest,best option in my opinion is to knock it down which isn't going to happen. I have permanent lung damage,which could turn cancerous mold is highly carcinogenic,PTSD,money problems,new allergies,extreme fatigue,never mind all the pain,loss,grief and suffering that I endured. I would NEVER EVER let my child go back into a school or classroom that was found to have mold/fungus in it last year,week,or today no matter what the trusted authorities told me! It's a whole different ball game when mold is the issue.Not to mention all molds do not show up on certain tests. Luckily I have no human children, I'm safe out of mold and recovering today.

JamiCavanagh... did you share the survey with Mr. Mango? Has anyone heard about the status of the new mold found at Willow Grove?

Htown2009 Htown2009
Jul '18

Htown2009, I am sure they will wait until September to tackle the issue ;-/

Curious2
Jul '18

Besides Mount Olive Middle School. What other local schools are dealing with mold right now? I have no doubt with the moisture we've had and the lack of ac in most buildings that mold is thriving.

A concerned parent A concerned parent
Sep '18

Hopatcong, Hope, Blairstown were the most local I saw. There were many all over the state as well as in PA.
Check your basements too. It doesn't just happen in the schools, movie theaters. The last two summers were so wet and humid. Our homes are not immune.

2 years later and we still have mold in the schools. Now the middle school. And the Mango idiotic robo calls informing us basically that we're still paying for a contract with a remediation service. Gee I wonder who's uncle/cousin that is. The best part is looking back through 2 years of Jim L posts falling on his sword for Mango and the administration, backpeddling all the way.

What do you have to say now Jim L 2 years later and Hackettstown still can't solve it's shoddy school situation as the town continues to raise taxes year after year.

Whats up Troll? Not sure why you are calling me out but i stand by all my above comments. read them again..

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

2 years ago Jim and the problem hasn't gone away. Troll not. Stop lying to the public. They must pay you pretty good to defend every last corrupt town employee.

Calling you out because you're the resident know it all of BS. This was a problem that started 2 YEARS AGO and isn't remedied. Does the town need another 3-4% tax increase from everyone to clean it up?

Hackettstown is not the only school district to have mold issues. Long Valley did last year and Tewksbury did two years ago. Older schools unfortunately have these issues even after remediation.

kelleo22 kelleo22
Aug '19

The problem 2 years ago was at Willow and they addressed it an brought in a whole new HVAC system and drainage. This new finding was at the Middle School. Try to keep up with facts Donny boy. Real tough behind that keyboard of yours.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

Whoa Don, you seem very angry.

Mold is continuous issue that happens in our homes and businesses. It’s discovered, researched, addressed and corrected but it can pop back up anytime. Our nice humid NJ weather makes it a continuous battle. Our schools aren't fully air conditioned.

Take a breath and hold off on the attack.

Don is the biggest troll here

NJSkywatcher NJSkywatcher
Aug '19

Mold is not something that can always be permanently "taken care of" because mold spores are in the air, all around us, everyday. If there is a lot of rain or there is a period of humidity the spores (that are always around, everywhere) will stick to and grow on surfaces. The problem is not that the schools are "old" even new construction can have a mold issue if the humidity level is high in the area.

Speaking of mold...there has probably always been mold in the schools at one tme or another and nobody cared. Waaaay back in the day, my school had asbestos ceilings, the downstairs classrooms were moldy and stunk every time it rained, the gym showers (yes, we took showers after gym back then) were covered in black mildew and nobody cared because they didn't check for that stuff back then - who ever even heard of the word "remediation" back in the 70's?

Laurel Laurel
Aug '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.