Canon Rebel T6 Dslr

Anyone owns this camera ?

I just purchased as my 1st SLR camera.

Any suggestions would be appreciated., experiences, etc.

Thnx

Steven

Steven Steven
Sep '17

good intro courses at Unique Camera on 46 in Fairfield - google Unique University I believe

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

For now, buy UV filter for your lens (to protect the glass in case of mishandling), set camera to A (automatic) and shoot. Shoot in any condition, anything that pleases your eye and look at your pictures on your computer.
Read some articles by Ken Rockwell - he has lots of useful ideas and plenty of experience. Just type in "Ken Rockwell" in any browser.
Later, when you'll get more familiar with it, save money and buy quality lenses to suit your needs.
Good luck! and have fun.

I second the "Understanding your camera" classes at Unique Photo. They are well worth it!

https://www.uniquephoto.com/university/

They have a groupon deal for the classes too.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/unique-photo-1-7

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '17

Personally I would not spend that kind of money on a camera and interchangeable lenses to use the setup on "A". You could that with a under $100 camera and get decent pictures. The whole point of using a camera with advanced capabilities is the use those capabilities to interpret your "vision, art, or creativity" into something you can see in a photo. Learning what the settings do, learning depth of field, shutter speed effects, and whether wide angle or telephoto is the view you want. There are a multitude of great books, or online guides, or college courses you can audit to learn. Sadly as you can see in the thread for adult education there is a dearth of learning outlets for adults in this area.

MK - Maybe PYC was just saying to do that to get started. You can shoot auto, learn about composition and lighting. And then gradually introduce yourself to the camera's capability. I don't think the intent was to leave it that way permanently.

As for the adult education, it might be true for photography (although there are Morris Co courses), there are a ton of yoga, art, computer, business skills, etc opportunities around. Anything from the local wellness studios, to Rutherfurd Hall, to WCCC & WCTS, to Centenery, and so forth.

Look into joining a local camera club. Off the top of my head there is one that meets in Phillipsburg every two weeks - Hillcrest Camera Club. There is also Sussex County Camera Club, so you could look into joining one or both. You will benefit from a camera club because there, you can enter competitions, listen to lecturers, and pick brains with other like-minded photographers.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '17

Pinterest has lots of great guides for beginners. I never use 'A' mode. I took many test pictures with mine on all different modes & read the online guides for beginners. Would love to take in person class but just don't have the time.

Amateur Amateur
Sep '17

Greetings!

Definitely read your camera manual, learn to shoot in Manual mode and use RAW format.

Here are some great resources as well:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=18203
https://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-tips-for-beginners/
https://improvephotography.com//wp-content/uploads/2012/06/PhotoCheatSheet.jpg

Good luck & have fun! :)

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Sep '17

My opinion on a couple of recommendations made here:

1. Forget the UV filter and use the lens hood to protect your lens against bumps and scratches. You can find all the pros and cons about using a UV filter on the web.

2. Ken Rockwell's opinions are not held in high esteem. There are much better places to get advice and training.

GC,
correct - Automatic is to start with, then, play with other settings. Digital cameras allow to shoot tons of pictures with little expense - there is no film to buy, process and print the pictures to "see all the mistakes".

MK,
I've a point-n-shoot camera that takes better pictures (or, as good, as) DSLR. Off course, there is a limit - the low light conditions make this point-n-shoot camera useless.

Steven,
User manual, as Nick mentioned above, is useful, too. Don't just read it, read and try, try and read. Also, Canon allows to use more non-Canon lenses (more than Nikon, for example - most in manual mode), thus, you could find FINE lenses. I personally used Mamiya on Nikon for a long time.

Pyc,

I have an old Minolta XG1, with several lenses...will they fit ?

Steven Steven
Sep '17

Steven,
No, they won't, not directly. You'll need to purchase an adapter (minolta MD mount to canon EF mount) with the corrective lens (otherwise your pictures won't have backgrounds in focus). This adapter costs about 40-50 bucks.
Minolta XG1 has MD mount (43.5mm), Canon - EF mount - 44mm. These numbers in mm mean distance from the flange (ring the lens mounts to) to the film (or sensor).
Half of millimeter is a very small distance to make a usable adapter, therefore the adapters are made bigger (thicker) and with corrective lenses. This diminishes your picture quality (very little, don't be alarmed).

adapter:
( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995265-REG/fotodiox_md_eos_g_dc_minolta_md_mc_sr.html)

PYC - I had a Canon before my Nikon and tried those adapters. I can't say I agree with the amount of diminished picture quality. And I did try several adapters that way. On the other hand the Nikon mounts when you get an adapter work easily without a correction lens. Those are very much worth it. You can get a $15 adapter and old Nikon manual glass for next to nothing. You also forgot to mention even if the other brand of lens is an AF lens, you have to focus manually.

Would you have to focus annually on all the older lenses used with an adapter ?

Steven Steven
Sep '17

Steven - All lenses with those adapters are manual focus. Not just newer ones either. The adapters take care of attaching the lens, but the auto focus systems are not compatible with each other. So both old and new lenses are manual focus if an adapter is involved.

Steven,
not only to focus, but to set proper aperture and the shutter speed.

For a beginner, I'd advise using auto-focus lenses for now (mastering manual focus lenses are an advanced skill-set)

Shooting using any Automatic setting is generally not a good idea (for beginners especially) as once will not learn how to properly set aperture, shutter speed, etc. if the camera is making all of the decisions per se.

A huge help is using Auto-ISO so that when conditions change [sun then clouds, then sun again], the camera will make the ISO adjustment for you so that's one less to worry about. You'll set the minimum ISO, 100 and the maximum ISO (on a Canon T6, I believe the top end is 6400).

I advise taking your camera wherever you go and take literally hundreds of photos - load them into your computer and open up dedicated software like Adobe Lightroom to see which ones were properly exposed, what your camera settings were, etc. Adobe Lightroom is available on a subscription basis (along with Photoshop) for $9.99/month Creative Cloud: http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Agreed, joining a camera club or a photography-based Meetup group is excellent advice.

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Sep '17

working crazy hours this past month and liely same for some time.

Difficult to commit to a club at this time.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Steven Steven
Sep '17

Re: Canon Rebel T6 Dslr

Steven,
one thing I forgot to tell you - set your camera the way that it'll show a histogram after each shot (usually the taken picture is shown on camera's screen for a few seconds and you should see a histogram, which, basically shows you a " curve" how the pictures is exposed - normal (peak curve in the middle), underexposed and overexposed are on sides.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.