HHS Football Opening Day

If anyone has video of the Tigers walking out on the field please comment below!

GOTIGERS888 GOTIGERS888
Sep '17

Gee whiz, the Tigers play the best opener in football that I can ever remember (and I broadcast 11 of their openers, some of which were really ugly) and nobody is commenting. Whenever they've lost these boards were full of people wanting the coach to be fired :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '17

Probably because there is a shift in how people perceive and care about football. It's a dying sport. No sensible parent wants their child playing this barbaric game, coached by overzealous parents that are reliving their "Al Bundy" glory days. Sorry but even fantasy football leagues couldn't save the pros.

Mickey Mickey
Sep '17

LOL @ Mickey.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

Lot of truth there, Mickey, but since I'll be covering one more season of it at the high school level, I might as well enjoy it :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '17

Mickey -

You sound like a disgruntled Non-Football player who couldn't get the Cheerleaders to date him. Don't be bitter - that was all in the past...

Excellent game by the Tigers. Well played on all fronts. Now lets put another one together like that and build on its success.

USS Nathan James
Sep '17

Thanks for the reminder. Always a good time.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '17

"You sound like a disgruntled Non-Football player who couldn't get the Cheerleaders to date him. Don't be bitter - that was all in the past..."

Ugh..I don't think so. And there is no bitterness at all. I'm happy that my body is intact, no surgeries or broken bones. Didn't need a cheerleader either. You are the prime example of the Al Bundy syndrome. Living in the past, the glory days are long gone and all you have to show is an old varsity jacket and the physique of a competitive beer drinker. Now return to yelling at your kid to toughen up, so he can score a cheerleader.

Mickey Mickey
Sep '17

Mickey -

My kids like Football. And Music. And Reading. And Dancing. And other things. I support my kids. It's as simple as that.

I never wrapped my kids in bubble wrap, they could pursue whatever they wanted to do, and always have.

How you twist cheering on the Tigers into Al Bundy, I don't quite understand. If I remember, Al Bundy didn't want any of the young kids to surpass his records.

Personally, I never got an actual Varsity Jacket - they weren't the thing back then. I don't remember "scoring" a cheerleader either. I do still have in my attic somewhere an NHS pin, an Officers Commission, an Honorable Discharge, a few diplomas with a bunch of letters after them, and several paid off mortgages. As for my health and physique, I appreciate your concern. Maybe you go to one of the same fitness clubs I go to daily? Let me know and we can meet up and trade HL stories in person.

Try to keep a positive outlook my friend; I recommend the Desiderata: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata

Great words to live by.

USS Nathan James
Sep '17

Desiderata is great ... you rock USS Nathan James. Positivity and love are the keys to a happy life, my friend. I know someone (name withheld to protect the guilty) who says sports makes people dumber ... and he hates sports to the point where it keeps his business from being the best it can be ... don't get me started on him.

Football does have issues, so do the music world, politics, you name it --- the world is complicated -- but I'm happy to say football is healthy at the local level and the coaches are good people :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '17

Go HHS Tigers !!! In all Athletics !!! Even though Football is fading away ! LOL !!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Sep '17

Nice Mike drop USS Nathan James - well done!

Mickey - in the words of Monty Python: "Always look on the bright side of life!"

Barnacle Bill
Sep '17

Not sure football is fading to the point where no one cares. Still seems to be a topic of conversation, and I haven't seen a roster in high school, college, or the NFL that wasn't filled.

It is comical however, that Coach Robinson gets absolutely torn apart when the team doesn't perform and now that they have a pretty decent opening game "football is fading".

Don't worry Andy, as soon as the Tigers lose a game, all of the head coaches in the stands will have their 2 cents to add.

TigerSupporter TigerSupporter
Sep '17

Preview of the 2018 HHS varsity football season...

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/hackettstown_building_on_cultu.html

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

Back in the "good old days" the first day of football practice was Sept. 1, statewide by rule … perhaps some fellow old timers out there can corroborate that. I graduated high school 50 years ago.

Now, they are playing opening games in August … times change.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '18

Correct Andy !! My team had Triple Sessions to start the football season which included Full Pads 8am/ Skull Session at Noon/ Full Pads again at 5pm

A Skull Session was a Team Meeting

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Aug '18

A score ? A recap ? Any memorable moments worth mentioning? Names to be aware of ?

Yes, my practice started on Sept 1.... or was it actually Labor Day ? It was triple sessions........ no time wasted on skull sessions. Full pads and helmets with hitting started immediately. It was all go...... and the practice uniforms were always damp and cold. We only got clean t-shirts before practice. 1st game was the last Saturday in September.

fire251 fire251
Aug '18

Very exciting game. Defense stopped Jefferson inside their own 10 yard line at end of half and end of game with 38 seconds left. The 7-3 win wasn’t high scoring but had a lot of exciting plays and stops. Timmy Ervey and Matt Castro ran hard and the offensive line played well against an oversized defensive line. The Tigers need to take care of the ball a little better ( couple of fumbles and an interception) plus a few badly timed penalties but all to b expected with only 3 weeks of practice. The most notable thing I saw was that the boys didn’t give up and kept their heads up, which was started with last years team as I noticed heads dropping on teams in the past. Great job to the boys and coaches for a hard fought win. Good luck next week!! GO TIGERS!!

Playthegame18 Playthegame18
Aug '18

Can't win them all if you don't win the first one. Marvelous start to the season :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.