Venting Thread- 14th Edition

Other one too long. Lol

Went for a job interview, 11 days ago.
It went very well, so I thought.. Was told I'd be contacted that week.
I waited 3 days. Nothing, so I reached out to them. NO RESPONSE! I reached out 5 more times! Still have not heard from them. How about an answer!
Any kind of answer would be nice.
That's how you run your business?
Glad I wasn't hired!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Sep '17

So many potential employers do this. Very frustrating and unprofessional.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '17

Yep, when I was job hunting, I'd say it was the rare place that ever got back to me. One institution, a former employer even, was not going to tell me that they hired the other person (out of the two of us) until a friend who still worked there had to advise the people in HR that it would be the right thing to do.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Sep '17

My adult son, who went back to college to get a degree, thus incurring student loan debt, has not been able to find a job {that pays a living wage} in over 2 years. He applies to every job listing he can find, on-line, {which is another nightmare}, and seldom receives any response from 99% of them. He is frustrated, defeated, and depressed from this thankless and impersonal approach to job-hunting.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '17

Unfortunately it's been this way for a while. You have to be proactive and follow up by phone. Make yourself stand out. Send a thank you! But definitely follow up.

Radiate Radiate
Sep '17

My mother-in-law who've I complained about..passed away Tuesday.

I've mixed feelings, but still feel horrible about it.

Lost my mom in February and now my MIL in September same year.

Not a good year...

positive positive
Sep '17

Very sorry to hear this, positive...you should have no regrets and go forward now with thinking about the good memories of them both.

joyful joyful
Sep '17

Very sorry Positive. Send Sal our condolences. God bless you all.

Sep '17

Condolences to you and your family, positive. Losing both mothers within 7 months -- can't even imagine. You will be in my prayers.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

So sorry to hear this news, Positive. You and your family are in my prayers.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Sep '17

Lonesome dove, if he's been sending resumes online and getting a response, it's possible that he needs to keyword optimize his resume by scanning the job summary and including key skills and requirements at least two or three times within his resume. For instance, if the description lists are looking analytical skills, that phrase should be in the resume somewhere; perhaps under job duties or within the skills section or his professional summary. Make sure to exactly match Words and phrases, as well. For instance, if the term "Microsoft office suite" is listed, be sure to use that exact phrase rather than "MS Word", and vice versa. Also, a resume submitted online should not have fancy fonts, colors, graphics, etc. , as those confuse the applicant tracking software that online sites use to screen potential employees.

Also make sure to send along a cover letter with each resume. Many companies reject people who do not include cover letters.

FYI - I'm a resume writer; I have learned these tricks from experience.

Best of luck to him.

BlueNJ BlueNJ
Sep '17

Hour and a half at Dr office!! Really??
Guess only their time is important.
And nasty nurse, to boot.

Sep '17

Needed to buy something I could only get online. Found the retailer with the best price. Purchased, along with a bunch of other stuff I didn't necessarily need, but will use, so that I could get free shipping. Get email shipment confirmation on Saturday with tracking number. Get email Monday morning saying the item I needed is out of stock and cancelled from my order. Angry phone call to customer service and receive song and dance about suppliers and slow inventory update. Website STILL shows item for sale and in stock (at a higher price than I paid).

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

Why do folks post events without letting you know where it is being held.
CSA picnic in the park. What park?
Help for those with pain. Where is it located?
Guess they don't really want folks to show up.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '17

You beat me to it, Ms Fishy. Wondering why the HL classifieds aren't screened before they are posted to make sure there is a time and date and also when selling something....a price... Another one on Classified today. A Vintage Winged Chair but no price....Maybe it is free??

joyful joyful
Sep '17

WHY is it not allowed to opt-out of phone calls from charitable organizations? Honestly we give a lot to those organizations that are near and dear to our hearts. We don't need the phone ringing 3x a day, every day, soliciting money from us for questionable charities we've never even heard of. So annoying.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

How about the realtor who posts apartments with no location or rent and then doesn't answer emails or phone messages inquiring about the apartment they listed. So annoying & unprofessional

weebiekins weebiekins
Sep '17

The charities you give to are probably the ones who are selling your name to other charities, unfortunately... my solution is simply never to answer my phone. Which begs the question of why I'm still paying for it....

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

"The charities you give to are probably the ones who are selling your name to other charities, unfortunately..."
No doubt. Nice way be thanked eh?

I don't know why we have a home phone line either. Anyone I want to hear from has my cell number, and knows to text or email me anyway. (I hate the phone!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

nomorobo - to stop the robot calls

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

Going to check it out.

If that works I will kiss you.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

works for me on optimum...............phone rings once and then the call goes away - don't have it on my cell but use something called truecaller to check on numbers I don't know (I also don't answer them)

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

Someone is looking for a home for 2 teacup Yorkies (see classifieds).

My internet and phone access needs to be taken away immediately.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

I know Rebecka! I wish I could, but I think Boo would eat them!

The situation with the Rohingya people in Myanmar is not being covered on the major National news networks. I watched as much as I could of the President addressing the UN, and didn't hear him mention it either (maybe his did later in his address?).

A major humanitarian crisis is unfolding and needs the world's attention, and the world (or at least Americans) seem to be looking the other way!

Why can we give news time to a tweet involving a golfball, and not to what is being referred to now as a "genocide?" It's unconscionable.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

Indeed, Rebecka.....I watched coverage of that situation and it's just unbelievable the horrors for parts of the world.............

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

Here's a real traffic problem. Ass just ran the red light at Allen Rd and Rt 57. Flying, heading west.
Same spot the other day, ass was making left onto Newburgh Rd but decided to make a UTURN at the intersection. I was behind him making a left and blew my horn. He stopped in middle of ILLEGAL UTURN to curse me out. REALLY??
Was it you Denis?

Sep '17

UGH! Dunkin Donuts.

Couldn't do the JETS win rewards this morning. OK, I'll come back later. And she said its only for HOT coffee. Ah.....NO! Ice coffee too. She was the manager, to boot.

I get home and try to load more money onto my card, online. Registered a new card and paid. THEY DOUBLED THE AMOUNT OUT OF MY CHECKING ACCOUNT!

So now I call and the recording says they are having trouble with the JETS win reward. OK, no problem. I want to speak to someone about the DOUBLE amount debited from my checking account. I get another recording saying they are experiencing technical issues and cant take my call. Call back later. UGH!!!!!
So 3 hours later, NOW, I call and it goes thru but says wait time is less then 10 minutes. OK, I'll wait. WELL I HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR 35 MINUTES. Thank goodness for the speaker on the cell phone.
I'M SO FRIGGIN AGGREVATED!!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '17

botheredbyuu2, that's super annoying. All the signs and emails say hot or iced. I just got mine at lunch time and it worked fine. You do have to use the app though, I think.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

I used the app this morning and the $1.00 coffee did not come through. My thought was that Dunkin Donuts never the Jets would win a game this year and did not program the app for it LOL. Just as aside the first person I spoke to about it said it was only for medium coffee so I pointed to the sign on the door in big letters ANY SIZE COFFEE $1.00 when the Jets or Giants win. The manager then said the app is not under local control and cannot be modified by the local DD.

I tried again yesterday to call. A few times, but no luck. I went to store again and kid said it still wasn't working, but they were honoring the Jets win reward. That was good, but I still need to find out why it doubled my reload.
Guess the Jets shocked everyone by winning.

Sep '17

Apparently it was a widespread glitch, Bothered. My husband had a problem getting it to work yesterday as well and I saw a FB post with dozens of people who had been charged full price. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, should either of the NY teams manage to eke out a win.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

Not one decent supermarket in the area! Shop rite and Weis are both awful.

Ididntsayfudge Ididntsayfudge
Sep '17

A gross encounter with nature: A tick the size of a small marble somehow got attached to my leg. When I pulled it off, stickers still moving, it took a 1/4 inch piece of my skin with it, which after two weeks has failed to heal. Yuk.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '17

Ugh! I thought blood pressure that was like140/80 was high. Thought 120/80 or so was "normal". Mine was 144/85 and Dr said that's fine. I said really?
I checked online and everything I read tells me mine is "elevated". Not a good thing. And to boot, I already take meds for high BP!

Sep '17

I agree, Botheredbyuu2.............unless you were under stress or hadn't been sitting calmly for a few minutes. I'm in the process of readjusting my meds.........with my doctor's assistance. Also - when mine gets near 140 or so I feel it - a little light headed -a little woozy - We know that isn't right.

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

Please take down your signs! I still see some pig roast sign up for an event in August, along with lost dog signs for a dog that's not lost anymore. And don't even get me started on the garage/yard sale signs that are dog eared and faded from rain and sun and probably snow from last winter. You put em up, you can take em down! Okay I'm done.

+1 RAS

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

Right 4catmom

Sep '17

Pretty sure the laundry in my laundry room is reproducing on its own. Quietly, overnight... the pile grows...

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

Ever notice, if one of your sock gets a hole in it and you let the holy sock touch the other socks they all start to get holes? Wtf.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '17

I just had the strangest experience. I went to drop a letter off at the Hope State Troopers Barracks, and they have a one-way glass that you have to talk to. You can't see anyone, just your reflection. It was so eerie. Like talking to yourself... but someone is watching you... and you hear a voice but never actually see a human. The whole encounter was weirdly disconcerting, and frankly kind of dehumanizing! I feel like I was just in a Twilight Zone episode.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

If you have more than one brake light out it should be legal for me to get out at a stoplight and brake your last bulb. Not like you were concerned about them in the first place.

If you weave in and out of morning traffic while literally everyone else is maintaining speed and you are the sole reason people are jamming on brakes, justifiable homicide.

The state cops running parallels on route 31 by Hampton. Please stop trying to catch people on their phones, the smart ones see you coming in the mirror and the ones you do catch are too dumb to learn their lesson. You are adding 20-30 minutes to my commute and not making it any safer.

younggen younggen
Oct '17

If there are 5 - 10 cars stuck behind you, the problem is not them, it's you. Please pull over and let them by. Obviously, only if there is a safe place to do so. Or you might consider discovering your gas pedal.

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Oct '17

Found the table service at Byram McDonalds to be both slow and awkward. If I wanted a server I'd go to the diner or one of the chains. Took much longer and was just odd.

LenaK LenaK
Oct '17

Okay so I know it's been years since it's disappeared, but what the heck happened to a good "hard" roll? My dad used to get a bag of them at a local shop; Italian bready like inside but a nice crust on the outside. Every roll these days is soft, if I wanted a kaiser roll I would ask for one. I want a hard roll from the days of old. Is it just too hard a process to make them? Sigh.

Just have to vent ... I'm tired of walking around my neighborhood and having to serpentine around the dog poop! Someone doesn't want to pick up after their dog. They must drag their dog while pooping along the street! It's disgusting .. there's a poop then in about another foot more poop ... probably about 4-5 plops! Looks like cars, bikes, etc must run over it and it's usually squished into the road. This has been happening for many months now in the College View development! So gross!

RAS - The rolls you speak of are available fresh daily at Speedy Mart, 915 County Road 517, Hackettstown. Also try Fruitimex on Main Street, they don't sell bread, only rolls.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '17

The existing threads on HL do not allow you to post a comment if you have already posted a few prior to the one you want to post today... Example...the Quotable Quote thread...I posted the last few quotes and today they will not allow me to post another. Telling me to give someone else a chance.. Why???

joyful joyful
Oct '17

Thanks Dannyc I will have to check it out!

Because they can joyful ;-)

justintime justintime
Oct '17

Okay so only when I'm on Hackettstown life do I get some stupid "lucky spin" pop up. Sigh.

Why do some people think they are so special that they can park in the no parking/fire zone in front of Mansfield DD, while their passenger goes into the store? Sometimes its even the driver that goes in, leaving their car ideling.
Go park in the parking spots like everyone else.

Oct '17

I swear I'm going to start riding the bus!!
1. Shut off your high beams!
2. When someone let's you out, wave thanks!
3. When there is a line of 20 cars in the turning lane, WAIT your turn. DONT pull out and fly up to the front of the line and then squeeze it.
4. When in the outside lane turning left onto Mt Ave off of East Ave, don't turn and then decide you want McDs and try to jump in other lane, hit your brakes to pull in.

All these things happened today!
Ugh!!!!

Oct '17

Re: Venting Thread- 14th Edition

Here are reasons to buy a bottle of this:

1) To keep it on hand in case someone ingests something toxic, and you need to induce vomiting.
2) If someone has information you need, but they are withholding it, and you must compel them to talk. A couple drops of this liquid on their tongue and you should be good to go.
3) Would probably be a great weed killer.

I can't think of any others.

Warning: do not have your first taste of this substance while driving. You may end up with it all over your dash and need to pull over because you are choking and turning blue over the few drops that made it partially down your throat.

(I would very much like to know the name of the twisted human being who puts this in a bottle and pawns it off on unsuspecting grocery shoppers.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

That stuff can make you give a hot sample on a drug screen

Skippy Skippy
Oct '17

Per the label, consider yourself “enlightened,” Rebecka!
LOL!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '17

Agree Rebecka - Kombucha is vile!!!!

Antimony Antimony
Oct '17

Yes it is vile but the hipsters that go to Whole Foods are buying tons of it.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '17

3rd day of rain on cape cod - not what I signed up for

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '17

Lol, I'm not a hipster by any means but I like kombucha. I haven't tried that flavor but some flavors are good. You do have to be prepared for it though.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '17

Please be properly prepared for this particular flavor. (It goes above and beyond normal kombucha yuck.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

Rebecka - I was thinking more like calling ahead to Cochran's.

That's only if you take more than one swig.

I can't imagine that happening.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

Aqua ViTea Kombucha on tap is really good.

happiest girl
Oct '17

Pregnancy parking spots at Shop Rite... Stop parking there... When you're not pregnant!!

Seriously.

Coming from a pregnant woman... Please just stop. In the almost 7 months that I've been pregnant, I've been able to park in the pregnancy preferred spots at Shop Rite only twice. They are ALWAYS taken. And by people who aren't pregnant. You may play devils advocate and ask how I know they're not pregnant... Because they are in their 40s and 50s or even older. Today an older gentleman (maybe 70) sat in the passenger seat waiting for someone to come out and they had a handicap sticker. There are A TON of handicap spots... Park there!!! I could go on and on with stories of non pregnant women and even MEN parking there. I NEVER ONCE parked there when I wasn't pregnant... I wouldn't even imagine doing that.

I'm normally very active and don't mind walking. However, now I really understand why those spots are important. I am in a lot of pain lately as I'm having trouble with the ligaments leading to my pelvis and groin. It'd be so nice after being on my feet all day at work, being able to park a little closer.

Be considerate, and stop being lazy please.

I know plenty of women in their 40s who are pregnant, lol.

Terry P
Oct '17

Ordered a large pie from Colonia Pizzeria in Easton for $14.00.

Not much bigger than a personal size. Are you kidding me???

positive positive
Oct '17

Terry P I promise you the women (and men) I've been seeing using the pregnancy preferred spots are not pregnant.

Positive, it also looks like a frozen store box pizza.

justwondering justwondering
Oct '17

Positive - their menu does say their pie is 12" and they use fresh mozzerrella.
I saw a picture on their website where the pizza is next to a dinner plate and they are the same size. But if I didn't know that when ordering I'd be just as irritated as you.
A *large* pie should feed 4 people, not one! They should call it something else.

happiest girl
Oct '17

Large personal pizza?

Lol iJay! That was my first and last time ordering from them. Not only was the pie ridiculously small it tasted like crap.

positive positive
Oct '17

Labs holding your test results hostage, and only releasing them to the ordering physician. Sorry... my body, my tests, my results. If they think I need to wait for the ordering physician to get around to calling me and giving me a dumbed-down version of the findings, well... no, sorry. That is definitely not what is going to happen here.

Unbelievable to what degree medicine in this country has been screwed up by tort lawyers... not to mention the countless other ways. (You know your country has become mind-numbingly brain dead and bass-ackwards when the bag of pistachios you purchase includes a warning that the bag contains pistachios. Is there any recovering, as a Nation, from such nonsense?)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

I see my results online - yes they are sent to the doc first but I can see them right after that

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

Whenever my husband goes for blood work..he requests a copy of the results to be mailed to him, but he has to ask. The lab he goes to will not automatically send it to him.

positive positive
Nov '17

Getting a copy of the results or seeing the results online is not an issue. I want them when they are ready, i.e. at the same time the ordering physician gets them.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

My Vent is very frequent I come into town to shop, weather its to eat or go to the nice shops, but always park in the lot most times as the same cars with barbershop advertisement are parked in front of there business, at times for almost all day, what gives Hackettstown Business District, you would think you would rather have those spots for customers, I wonder if those cars even pay the meter or do they run out every 15minutes and push the free time button, great job Downtown Barber Shop for taking parking spots away from customers.

Hillary
Nov '17

For the life of me I don't understand how someone adds an event to the calendar on this site and not supply the LOCATION of the event in the posting.

Here is the entire posting:

Seeger: A Multimedia Solo Show

November 9, 2017 8:00 pm
Seeger: A Multimedia Solo Show November 9-12 $15.00 - $27.50
Thurs 7:30PM (BOGO at the door), Fri/Sat 8PM, Sun 2PM

Randy Noojin resurrects the prolific icon, Pete Seeger, America’s beloved folksinger/activist singing Seeger’s greatest songs, vocalizing a brilliant script, and projecting mesmerizing visuals to tell of his personal struggles for free speech, and our right and duty as Americans to stand up for justice.

I saw the show last year at Centenary and it was fabulous.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '17

Ordered. Tickets through Centenary website...

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

I attended that show too. It was a great!. in fact I just recently listened to the CD I purchased last year at the show, Hard Travelin' with Woody and the Hobos. That's why the listing caught my eye in the calendar. I figured it was at Centenary again as well. I was just surprised the location detail was left out since most folks won't figure that out or may not take the steps to search where it will be.

It is snowing.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Threads being shut down. Sad. I guess if people can't be civil. So be it. Where's Stranger. He's MIA. Very odd, with so much going on.

auntiel auntiel
Nov '17

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/terms.php

It is what it is.

justintime justintime
Nov '17

Threads being shut down is getting a little ridiculous. I guess we will only be able to post on lost dogs/cats, who has the best pizza in the area and the weather, etc.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '17

Also, comments that are not nearly as venomous like so many I've seen on here are being deleted.

Example: Disgusting personal attacks towards Calico from Resident08 on the election thread. Yes, the thread was shut down but those comments got through.

positive positive
Nov '17

She invites a lot of it, positive.

happiest girl
Nov '17

I have friends on Facebook who are teachers, they are constantly posting how thankful they are it's the weekend, holiday, half day, snow day and such. The jokes and cartoons are really making me think why they are teachers to our children in the first place. It's just not funny. I don't see other professions posting the same. Its tacky...

Molly
Nov '17

Word, Molly.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

Working for the Weekend, Thank God It's Friday, and other cultural references. It has always been a prevalent idea in society you work hard and look forward to play. Teaching is stressful and humor is a way to deflect that stress. Just because you have a sense of humor about releasing your stress or having time off does not mean you do not do your job well.

Calico does get "attacked" more often then most. I don't see how she brings it on herself. Seems to me that others can speak their opinion, its ok, but when she does, then she gets attacked.
OK, that wasn't my vent, but had to throw that in.

My vent is that I hope the next time the a**hole in a small black SUV blows thru a red light, he/she doesn't kill someone. Intersection Allen/Newburgh. You're lucky there wasn't a cop around. You're lucky IM NOT A COP.

Nov '17

Agreed, MK. As a parent of two young children, kids are exhausting. I used to long for Monday mornings when I could go BACK to work. Now they're a little more civilized, so I enjoy my weekends with them, but I can understand why teachers would say this. Granted, they do get more time off than most, so my compassion for them is somewhat tempered.

Just to add, sometimes the frustrations in schools isn't because of the students, but the drama with administration and even coworkers, just like any other job. I know things don't always run smoothly at my husband's school.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '17

Well I get the Dunce award for this week. Just put a little cap on me, I won't even try to take it off. I earned it. Ugh.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Awww, I hate when that happens. I just want to hide under the covers and never come out.

Super cute !

Skippy Skippy
Nov '17

OMG- it's stupid cold outside. Insane that some of my flowers are still blooming. The dog says NO WAY am I going out there.

auntiel auntiel
Nov '17

Pathological lying. A definition from Wiki:

"Falsification entirely disproportionate to any discernible end in view, may be extensive and very complicated, and may manifest over a period of years or even a lifetime.
Individuals may be aware they are lying, or may believe they are telling the truth. Sometimes however, the individuals may be lying to make their lives seem more exciting, when in reality they believe their lives are unpleasant or boring."

Just saying.

Anyone else sell on letgo.com?
I have had SO many people contact me to buy something, but they are from all over the state. Don't they see what town I'm in?
Its right in the listing. Once I say I'm in warren county, they say oh too far!. WELL LOOK AT THE TOWN THATS LISTED BEFORE YOU CONTACT ME!! I do. If I like something I first look to see how far they are. I JUST DONT GET WHY OTHERS DONT DO THAT!
SO FRUSTRATING!!

Nov '17

BBU- I get that often with Letgo. I sell all the time on that site. I have heard the line " I thought you meant Hackensack a few times. I actually had a person just the other day almost demand I drive a $120 item to Paramus! I don't think so. You want it, you come to me!

Lol Greg. I had 1 guy ask how far off Exit 7 of NJTPK was I.
One asked if I was in Washington state or DC?? WTH?? It says Port Murray anyway.
It gets frustrating. Look at the town and if its too far, don't ask about item.

Nov '17

I really thought my neighbors and the people of Htown were some of the best people but after what my 12 y/o told me today, i am left wondering... my daughters and their friend were out in this cold weather knocking on doors to see if they could earn some pocket money by raking leaves.. not one person would “ hire” them. Some people wouldn’t even get up off their couch and answer the door when they clearly could be seen.
I get that some people might not be able to afford it, might not have cash on them or just don’t want it done but come on.. not one person?
Seems like everyone has a “ landscaper” coming tomorrow.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Nov '17

I'm sorry, but NO reason the USPS needs to be closed 2 days for Veterans Day. SMH!

Nov '17

@Htown Mama

I worry that when I buy a house kids won’t be doing this anymore! My entire future yard work plan was “hire local students” LOL

Katherine Katherine
Nov '17

Actual classified ads with pics upside down. C'mon...

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

3wbdwnj, You don't think the piano is attached to a ceiling?? LMAO.

It's rightside-up for me.

Am I attached to the ceiling?

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Apple phone pictures in particular are problematic. The phone stores an "orientation" tag in it that says it's supposed to be flipped because the phone was upside down when the pic was taken. But the tag is non-standard and many systems do not understand that. So on an iPhone, it looks fine, and elsewhere it's upside down.

Thanks Apple...

I SO wish folks would read an entire post before commenting.........and I'm not talking about a thread with thousands of comments.......

littlelu littlelu
Nov '17

Ladies, maybe just one spritz of perfume before going out in public, not the whole bottle. Lord have mercy.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '17

LOL Tracy- Perhaps they buy it by the quart and like to use it up!

Ok, so my vent on Sat was about the USPS being closed Fri and Sat for Veterans day. Well, was just told that they WERE OPEN on Fri. THEN WHY DID THEIR WEBSITE SAY THEY WERE CLOSED!!

Nov '17

BBU-I looked at this link on the USPS site Friday as well. It seems just Sat the 11th is listed as the holiday for 2017.

http://about.usps.com/news/events-calendar/2017-postal-holidays.htm

We didn't get mail on Friday or Saturday. Hackettstown P.O.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '17

Greg - All I know is I googled Hackettstown post office hours for Friday Nov. 10 and it came up as closed today.

But I'm still on their case. I get a notice to pick up a letter at Hackettstown PO. I drive out there and he says oh you have to go to Port Murray. I said it says Hackettstown PO on notice. He said yea, they were suppose to cross it out and write Port Murray. I said so I drove out here for nothing?? He said YUP! Very rude and unfriendly! TIME FOR RETIREMENT BUDDY!!

Nov '17

Its one of those days. I need to vent!

Why are there so many dead deer on the roads, for days. Sometimes over a week. Some one is hired to paint an orange X on them. Why??? Just pick them up and discard them!! No one wants to see that!!

Nov '17

I hear you BBU- My first search Friday produced a closed answer too. I didn't understand that would be as the 11th was Sat. That's when I looked on the USPS site.

As far as the deer- I guess the "X" denotes dead deer not sleeping deer! LOL.

Greg- Lol! Yea, a deer with vultures eating their insides, means its NOT sleeping. I just don't get it.

Nov '17

Tracy, thae same could be said for men and their cologne. They actually smell flammable!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

I'm getting 11 pieces of mail today. There are 9 charities seeking donations, 6 I have never heard of, plus one credit card offer and one mortgage offer. Can I please get just one single useful piece of mail? Please? Just once in a while?

GC, I live in an Garden Apt with a common mailbox. The super has a garbage can behind it. It is always full.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '17

I'm with you GC - between the begging letters, catalogues I never ordered, junk for people who never lived here - and things for my mom who never lived here and passed away 7 years ago and my dad who left us in 2000.....nuts and a waste of paper

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

A blinker does not give you right of way. Shoving half your car in my lane doesn't give you right of way either. Maybe you should have changed lanes in the previous 10 miles if you wanted to get off at the exit ramp?

younggen younggen
Nov '17

This is very hard for me to post..my baby (cat) Scooby passed away Saturday.

Two weeks ago out of the blue he started having labored breathing. His vet found inflammation around his lungs and put him on prednisone. Well, after a week his condition got worse..took him back to his vet and she recommended to keep him on the prednisone. That raised a red flag for me, so I took him to another vet for a second opinion and he said he should've been off the prednisone after at least 5 days if it wasn't working and that Scooby may have a heart condition, but not sure and the prednisone would've made it worse. Scooby needed an ultrasound of his heart.

He recommended that I take him to an emergency animal hospital right away, which I did. He was there for 6 hours.. and then I got the phone call, he didn't make it.

He was only a little over 5 years old. He was doing great before the past two weeks. No diagnosis, no answers. It's killing me, not knowing what happened.

I even posted on the "I'm Happy Because" thread not long ago on how he got a clean bill of health from the vet and I was so happy about his weight loss.

I loved that guy more than any other pet I've had..he was so special to me.

I'm devastated.

positive positive
Nov '17

I'm so sorry for you. We have all been there; the feeling of emptiness seems unbearable I'm sure. Scooby will always be with you in spirit.

Thank you Greg.

positive positive
Nov '17

My beautiful boy

positive positive
Nov '17

I’m so sorry for your loss positive. I had that one special cat who was so dear to me so I understand.

So sorry for your loss, positive.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

So sorry Positive, those fur babies are like our real babies, so loved. Such a difficult loss when you're not prepared.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '17

Very sorry to hear this sad news, Positive...

joyful joyful
Nov '17

He really was a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry for your loss, Positive.

Courtney
Nov '17

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, positive. It's never an easy time, but suddenly and at a young age is especially devastating.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '17

Oh no!

All of HackCATStown is very, very sad today. We are all very sorry to hear about Scooby. We heard all about him and were hoping to have a play date one of these days...

Sugar & White Shoes Sugar & White Shoes
Nov '17

so sorry positive; cats are people too, i'm convinced, it's so very devastating losing our little friends like this. my heart goes out to you,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '17

Gets harder and harder to go through it as the years pass by. Sorry for your loss of such a young friend.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '17

So sorry and sad to hear - and it must be even harder because of his age - and because he had seemed fine..........until he wasn't.............I hope the kittens are comforting you.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

I am so sorry for your loss

Skippy Skippy
Nov '17

I'm so sorry Positive

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '17

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

positive positive
Nov '17

Sorry positive...losing a pet is so difficult.
I had a cat quite a few years ago with a similar situation. She was 3 yrs old and seemed completely fine and normal. She had been to the vet several times for shots/check ups....all good. I came home one day from work and she tried to come running down the hallway as always to greet me. She kept stopping and I noticed her breathing was very labored. I thought maybe she just had a cold or something and called the vet since it was their late night. Due to her age I wasn't concerned at all and figured let me just go get her medicine so I can go to work tomorrow knowing she will start feeling better.
The vet showed concern when she couldn't hear a heartbeat and literally within minutes I was told she wasn't going to make it. I believe they said something about fluid around her heart. Once She was put to sleep they opened her to see what was going on and she had an extremely enlarged heart. I guess she was born that way.
I left there in shock and disbelief that such a young cat had to be put down.
I'm sorry that you are going through this as I know how tough it is when it comes so unexpectedly.

Oh god I'm so sorry JRT. That's exactly what I was thinking, an enlarged heart. It's the only thing that makes sense. I should've had an autopsy done, but after $2,000 spent on trying to save him within only a 2 week time period... I just couldn't do it.

He never made it to get that ultrasound.

Thanks for sharing your story..it has helped.

positive positive
Nov '17

You're welcome! Scooby will always have a special place in your heart and he knows what a good mom you were too :)

So sorry to hear Positive, stay strong and know that you tried your best.

I love that a certain person who lives down the street from me thinks it's ok to send me PM on here and chew me apart. You have nothing better to do with your life? You've been doing it for almost 3 years now. Get a life!

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

Why is it the easy tear off "just pull flap and open" envelope is always mislabeled, half perforated, and glued at the flaps leaving the critical legal notice inextricably entombed inside??

Why are bacon packages impossible to open? Not enough time to come up with superior package?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Nov '17

Price gauging starting on GARAGE SALE sites... Save that crap for eBay.

weebiekins weebiekins
Nov '17

It's amazing to me that a spine surgeon (mine) no longer takes **any** insurance! Can that many people just write a check for major spine surgery? Healthcare in this country is such a mess!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Thanks Obama!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '17

learned what a doula was yesterday..... gonna need awhile to wrap my head around that one......

younggen younggen
Nov '17

And why are they $800 lol

Skippy Skippy
Nov '17

Rebecka - Probably going to need major spine surgery myself, after an injury on Thanksgiving. Any recommendations?

DannyC DannyC
Nov '17

I would recommend my surgeon, but as I said, you would be paying out-of-pocket, and I can't imagine that would very appealing. Just call HSS in NY and ask which surgeons there take your insurance.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Rebecka, if the surgeon is good, not taking insurance is her/his way to be. It is not only wealthy US citizens that will pay. Rich foreigners will be on the patient list too.

maja2 maja2
Nov '17

Oh I know, maja! He really is that good, and world-renowned. I have no doubt his average patient flies in on their private jet from Saudi Arabia to get their back fixed. And insurance companies are beasts to work with. It just pains me when I think about people in our rich, 1st-world nation who cannot afford the healthcare or medications they need. And the larger picture of wealth disparity in the world really depresses me. Not that I have the solution, mind you. Just a vent, unfortunately. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

HSS all the way. My surgeon only took 1 insurance. I got on it just to have him do the surgery.

JellyB JellyB
Nov '17

Why don't our local shopping centers prune their shrubs / trees, so that you can see to get out of the parking areas? At Home Depot & Walmart, especially, you have to be almost halfway across the lane of traffic in order to see to pull out.

PT123 PT123
Nov '17

I have made that observation as well, PT123. It is a very difficult spot. It is unnecessary to have the low shrubs there. I look at many different shopping centers looking for that situation. It is not often as bad as that area is. For example the Kohls and Walmart areas don't have the site issues.

Why do parents that have mote than one child feel the need to judge parents with one?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '17

Drug company's advertisements really piss me off. "Do not take this drug if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredients". What ingredients? Give me a list.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '17

How about those silly drug names. Recognize that some million dollar marketing whiz not only had to come up with that gibberish but they had to research the legality, determine whether they were pissing anyone off in their foreign or regional markets, I mean all this trademark-like stuff making each name probably worth a million bucks even before they sell one pill. I'd like to abilify them right in their latuda

Dec '17

Two days ago laptop blue screened. Damn. Ran all of the HP diagnostics, ended up completing system restore. No dice.

Caved in and went to Geek Squad. Dropped machine off at 4:00 PM. Got a call from a Geek at 7:30 PM -all is right in the world again we did the wipe it down to bare metal and installed the new operating system. Booted up great in store. ( Insert Hallelujah chorus here).

35 mins later in Hackettsburg, USA, boot up and got a blanking blue screen again (Insert sad trombone here). Geek on phone: Huh.That happens sometimes. Bring it back and lets pop a new hard drive in. Me: You idiot why didn't you conduct all of the tests to determine that before? (on the inside). Me to him: sure no worries I love driving back and forth over and over to the the Rockaway mall this time of year!

Greg, take it to the phone and computer place near the Verizon and Starbucks in Mansfield. They are great and cheaper than other places i checked out.

Mariann Mariann
Dec '17

Sports Vent -

1) Teams that take advantage of loopholes in the rules and create an impossible situation for their teams -- long story, but had to vent

2) More and more sports taking a seasonal sport and trying to make it full year for no good reason -- ugh -- let the kids try other things if they want. --- or if you want to go into a 2nd season, leave it open for kids that couldn't participate at the initial time (aka do a 2nd round of tryouts). -- just sayin'

~trekster3 ~trekster3
Dec '17

OMG. What is happening to this country?

http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/healthcare/365204-trump-admin-bans-cdc-from-using-evidence-based-and-science-based

Ah, censorship. I’ve got a hair trigger Godwin’s Law finger but I guess that would make us comparable to ISIS. Weird.

Dec '17

Ubelievable isn't it PBM.....................I just factchecked it and it's apparently not the first time the current government has censored certain words..................Where is my country?

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '17

Over reaction
They just chose different phrasing

In the case of “science-based” and “evidence-based,” the analyst said a substitute phrase was: “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes."

Like when Obama said the word criminal was a bad word and should call them justice involved individuals. It’s just different preferred phrasing

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

geeez Skippy.... Can't you see the evangelical dog whistles in that? Since when does Science operate " in consideration with community standards and wishes." Which community? Mormon? Southern Baptist? Wall Streeters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0

You did catch the other banned words, didn't you?

So it starts with the words, then they add some phrases, what's next? He who shan't be named already wants to "pull licenses" on his favorite fake news outlets, as he who shan't be named calls them. He wants Justice and FBI to do his bidding to go after his enemies. As our leader, he calls for punishment before judgement. He fires the top cop when things aren't going his way. So it starts with the words.

Where did Obama suggest not saying the word criminal?

Dec '17

These words are banned from the budget proposal not from their reports... which is a bit different. I've never read a CDC budget proposal so I'm not really sure what it would look like or what banning these words would impact. It seems like they are free to request the same thing using different words.

You’re making a lot of a non event

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

Over reaction? What about climate change?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/07/usda-climate-change-language-censorship-emails

Facts aren't political, but scientists often find what they want to find. When they conduct research with a predetermined goal, they can find "facts" that aren't true. Case in point -the food and drug administration's refusal to ban the self rising flours that Canada and the rest of the world decry, the ease with which Monsanto has manipulated them, the revolving door of regulatory bodies and the mega corporations they wish to regulate. There is a special interest group for everything, including renewable energy, pushing a distorted version of the truth.

I'd like to know more about the reasoning behind this decision, but the FDA has been compromised by special interests for decades. The USDA and EPA, similar.

The science is actually still out. lobbyists have started a war of public opinion beyond the facts, misrepresenting the insufficient data we have as some sort of ironclad truth.

Sorry, we have meagerly indicated trends that are inconclusive. We need more study, not hysterics, not an end to all study because we've decided we fully understand the situation. We don't fully understand. Until we do, stop pointing fingers and getting angry. Support studies and peer review and stop allowing special interests to control public policy.

In re “justice involved individuals” https://nypost.com/2016/05/14/owellian-administration-brands-criminals-justice-involved-individuals/

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

The heck with politics, people.

I am trying to pick out a new computer. Has anyone who is not an IT guru tried to do this recently?

99.1% sure this is how spontaneous combustion happens.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

I grew up in a world where ' sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me," allowing me some freedom. Now we live in a world of being offended by words. and lawyers making money on hurt feelings, equaling more control buy leaders controlling what words are used. If you can't control your tongue, keep your mouth closed, in this world.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '17

But if you don’t say Radical Islam three times a day while genuflecting in the direction of the Vatican, you are a traitor.

Apparently words do cause overreaction.

Or perhaps words do matter.

Dec '17

Rebecka have you identified any use cases for the machine ? If you don’t play GPU heavy games you can find some quite affordable machines

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

I'm not a gamer, Skippy. But I sometimes lean towards the machines gamers like, because I like to run the latest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop at the same time, along with Chrome. I don't need the best video capability, but I do need a quick processor and decent RAM. (Getting up to speed on all the current processors has taken me a week, on and off, no exaggeration.) DH has a SSD in his desktop, and I love it.
This is what is in my amazon cart right now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076HM7CBT/ref=ox_sc_act_image_8?smid=A1HNC035CZ2MR5&psc=1

Need to see if they make one with a 1Terabyte SSD drive. But I also love the new all-in-ones... and fanless, SSD laptops, very tempting, also. Too many options out there!

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

And @Old Gent - you hit the nail on the head. I feel like we Americans are all walking on eggshells around each other. So sad. And so much for free speech. One is much freer in Europe to speak one's mind. It has been that way for a while now, and it just feels like it's getting worse here, not better.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

Social experiment:

Everyone flip a quarter on the ground and come back here with either heads or tails demanding that you are *right*.

Isn't it amazing that everyone will be correct depending on the perspective they have relative to the quarter? Simply amazing!

justintime justintime
Dec '17

Except for my quarter. MY quarter is always correct! LOL

That’s a great machine but the GPU is on board and the ram is light - email me if you want.

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

Hess toy truck is sold out everywhere I checked on the net. Any ideas?

DannyC DannyC
Dec '17

I’m a liberal. I can only flip your quarter.

Dec '17

If you can afford a Michel kors bag or a Coach bag you don't need to be at the pba Santa event giving toys to NEEDY families.
If you can afford a bmw or Mercedes-Benz. You don't need to be at the pba Santa event giving toys to NEEDY families.
If you have so many kids (1 family had 9 kids!) that you can't afford to give them presents. STOP HAVING KIDS!!!!!

Doing all I can Doing all I can
Dec '17

Pay triple on eBay only thing I found sorry Danny

Skippy Skippy
Dec '17

No advice for this year, sorry.

But for the future, sign up at https://hesstoytruck.com and they will send you an email on November 1st when the trucks go on sale and you can order directly through them with the truck arriving a week or so later.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Wow! So if you don't buy around November 1st, you might be locked out of ever buying them for the holidays, as I apparently am now? Does this lack of supply make them more "collectable"?

DannyC DannyC
Dec '17

Hess trucks are manufactured in quantities of hundreds of thousands. They are worth little money and can be picked up for $5 or less at yard sales. (although there are one or two exceptions to that) The only reason for a higher price is it's this current year's toy. Otherwise just buy one year behind and you can get presents for silly cheap.

They're available starting from Nov 1st and can be bought for a month without a problem. It's only if you're really late in the game. Less than 10 days before Christmas is often not a good time to be buying anything as a present. ;-)

GC - Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but several distributers quoted prices in the $60 range for prior year models going back 10 years...not exactly "silly cheap", and about double the original price. I'll check the yard sales when they are in season. Meanwhile, going a completely different route. Plenty of available boys' toys including vehicles, trains and video games. Screw Hess and their toy truck.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '17

Looks like the 2017 trucks are available on ebay. For a price.
https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2056088.m4084.l1311.R1.TR5.TRC0.A0.H0.X2017+hess.TRS0&_nkw=2017+hess+truck&_sacat=0

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '17

3wbdwnj - Thanks, but I refuse to spend $60 each (I need two) for things that will very soon cease to be workable toys and turn into shelf displayed collectables, i.e. clutter.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '17

I wish people would adhere to this:

ARTICLE 7. SIDEWALK CARE AND MAINTENANCE

12-60. Removal of Snow or Ice by Owner or Tenant.
The owner or tenant of lands abutting upon a public street of this Town shall and must remove,
or cause to be removed, from the abutting sidewalks of said street all snow or ice within twelve (12)
daylight hours after the same shall be formed or fall thereon. (3-27-22 sl)

I hope the violators are fined.

12-61. Violations.
Any owner or tenant who shall violate the above Section 12-60 of this Article shall, upon
conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding Fifty ($50.00) Dollars, together with the costs
of prosecution. (3-27-22 s2)

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Dec '17

Why do people need to crowd you when checking out at stores? Keep your cart and body away from me when I'm trying to unload my cart and pay. Carts hitting me and people breathing down my neck. BACK OFF! Why cant you stand back 2 feet or so.
SMH!!!!!

Dec '17

People who buy game systems that are limited and turn around and sell them for above MSRP. I hope some christmas cheer stabs you in the back when you meet to sell it.

younggen younggen
Dec '17

So annoying when people advertise a "service" but never respond back...
I was looking for someone to plow for me this season and have contacted 4 different people that had posted ads. Three of them never responded at all and the fourth told me the weather was too crappy...Wait..what??? You are a plow guy isn't that when you go out? lol <--if nothing else that one gave me a good laugh :)

ragging on people for ragging on other people-
and---------------the worst sinus infection I've had in years...............

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

"Rag Mama rag, where do ya roam?
Rag Mama rag, bring your skinny little body back home.
Its dog eat dog and cat eat mouse, you can
You can rag Mama rag all over my house."

Go Robbie go...

Get better soon, hope you got some antibiotics. Dry air so, so bad.

Jan '18

Thank you - got the drugs.....humidifier running on the furnace....honey bring home stuff to put in the rarely used vaporizer - hope I remember how to use it

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

What is going on?? A couple in their 40s, checking out at store, kissing it up as the cashier scans their stuff. Wth!
Can't wait to get home??

Jan '18

40 and still kissing!? Kids these days....LOL

If i have to watch The Polar Express one more time before next Thanksgiving, I'm throwing myself headfirst down the basement stairs, lol

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

Probably both married to someone else... Affairs very common these days. Know of a few in the church at it right now. If the wrath of God does not stop you nothing will.

A couple in their 40s, checking out at store, kissing it up as the cashier scans their stuff. Wth!

Dodgeballl Dodgeballl
Jan '18

Why must people on here automatically think something bad about affection between two people? Maybe a new love, maybe PDA does not bother them, maybe buying an anniversary cake and decided to celebrate in public. I personally am not offended by people of advanced ages showing each other affection. Maybe the place was odd but the act itself held loving and kindness. Just see it for what it was without judging.

MK-I didn't say I had a problem with WHAT they were doIng. It was WHERE they were doing it that was inappropriate.

Jan '18

I would like to see a Congressional Reprimand been thrown against our Presidents for the words he has used, in public, that are most distressing. Without it, how can they say they are making America better for their and our children.

Jan '18

I would like to see Congressmen who tattletale like children set a better example by challenging things that upset them by talking man to man.

That would reduce the number of children being raised as snowflakes.

4real
Jan '18

+1000 4real.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '18

I don't believe it was said in public. I was a Congressional "tattletale" of a private meeting

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '18

Plenty of adults are snowflakes as well, in fact, they probably outnumber the children.

"Children being raised as snowflakes"

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Jan '18

Went to Weis. Bought NOTHING. Their prices are OUTRAGEOUS on EVERYTHING. Went to crazy Shop Rite.
UGH!!!

Jan '18

The new LL bat rules are my vent. :\

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '18

Might want to look up the origins
Of the term "snowflake".
Rather sobering.

Stymie Stymie
Jan '18

I have had a cough/throat mucus for 9 weeks, Dr cant find anything, had x-rays, antibiotics, chest scan, nebulizer, everything,
Has anybody had this , any remedies ?

Bluefish Ed Bluefish Ed
Jan '18

Bluefish Ed - sinus infection with some cough - 10 days of antibiotics should have knocked it out - still have it though not as bad---- over two weeks of symptoms now - ugh

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

very interesting Stymie: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snowflake

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

Can't believe everything on the internet ya know...
"by Lascaux Othello February 11, 2017"

Justintime Justintime
Jan '18

from Merriam Webster Dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-less-lovely-side-of-snowflake

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

I am sure they mean it in the nicest way; the same way they probably have pet names for anyone deemed inferior. Namecalling makes some feel better about themselves.

Jan '18

Don't need to look up "alternative facts".
Think we ALL know what that means.

Stymie Stymie
Jan '18

Yeah like birther, drumpf supporter, Christian sharia, conspiritard , deplorable and neck beard

Skippy Skippy
Jan '18

...left out [apologist] skipper

Stymie Stymie
Jan '18

Please take down your Holiday decorations. I've seen lights hanging off houses. Blow ups deflated, mushed into the ground. Balls and bells hanging half off trees. I know it snowed but this past weekend was nice. Makes neighborhoods look messy.
Just saying!

Jan '18

I'm sure it's been said before - but people with no children having all kinds of opinions on how I parent - I've got 5 in my ear right now - listening intently, but gotta do my own thing that's right for our family.....

trekster3~ trekster3~
Jan '18

I am so done with the unwillingness to work evident in our politicians - so concerned with their own egos and their chance for next election - that they do not seem concerned about the running of the country.. as long as it does not affect them...
And the huge majority of Americans who just jump on the "your guy is worse than mine" bandwagon - just keep it going - anyone talking, or rather LISTENING to each other, trying to work together - no. Sick of this reality side-show our country has become, with ever-increasing bile, unbelievable, crass and low class politicians. Seriously considering emigrating - to Norway!

rleaf rleaf
Jan '18

I'm emigrating to Hatsylvania, the land of hats, a special place where all hats, regardless of shape, color, material, race, religion or gender orientation are respected equally as what we all are: one hat nation under God's hats with liberty, justice, and hat-hair for all.

Jan '18

A rather large box of sheep food arrived today. It's sitting on our doorstep.

We did not order sheep food.

We do not have a sheep to feed.

Someone please tell me what is going on.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

I would check the basement for any unknown Border Collies, Rebecka.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '18

Well Rebecka, I am rather surprised that you *don't* have a sheep! The farm and feed store probably sees it the same way lol

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

they will arrive tomorrow...............

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

Rebecka, your German Shepherds may have too much time on their paws. Perhaps they'd like to take up herding.

Courtney
Feb '18

Rebecka - Are you sure your husband didn't visit the livestock auction??

4catmom, LMBO!

I AM slightly concerned that we'll wake up to find a special surprise tied to the old apple tree.

Seriously how is this possible? A box of sheep feed from a town in Nebraska I've never even heard of. And it's not like it was misdelivered. It has our name and address on it.

I feel like I'm in an episode of Twilight Zone.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

Check your credit card accounts....

That was the first thing I did. Just the usual 27 Amazon purchases; no charges from any Nebraskan feed store.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

"a special surprise tied to the old apple tree"

Do you think a whole flock is going to fit around a single tree, let alone be tied to it???

Otherwise, do you use Chewy for anything? Or anything pet related from Amazon? You would think a quick call to the land of corn would settle the curiosity. Personally I'm betting the salesman there remembers a call from someone named "Barny". ;-)

You think it can't happen to you, and then 65 lbs of bluefin arrives at your door...

too funny -

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

Will H-towns local goat eat it?

auntiel auntiel
Feb '18

All I know is I went outside this morning and this is what greeted me.

I had to dig my way out :>)

Feb '18

That picture is altered strangerdanger!!

Everyone knows chewy.com is "where *pets* love to shop!!!

[snicker, snicker]

Sugar Sugar
Feb '18

It is a happy day when we see those boxes outside my door

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

All I know is the fedex guy really loves those 35lb kitty liter jobs hidden in a nice brown box......

Between this, ordering 50lb chlorine for the pool, and order-to-go at Panera and then Bottle King and, yes, I can no longer live without the internet :>) Bagels and brew belong together.

Just want to know how I can order chlorine at 4pm Mon and it's on the porch 4pmTues with $0 shipping charges? Magic?

Bring on the drone delivery, I'm ready!

Feb '18

Try getting black powder for the cannon. 25 pounds at a clip. Priceless!

John C John C
Feb '18

Rebecka

I think it was The Hackettstown Goat that ordered the sheep food delivered to your house. He reads HL and sees how animal friendly you are and has decided to move in with you along with his deer friends

Jacqui Jacqui
Feb '18

Moth man !

Skippy Skippy
Feb '18

"A rather large box of sheep food arrived today. It's sitting on our doorstep.

We did not order sheep food.

We do not have a sheep to feed.

Someone please tell me what is going on."

I for one am still wondering why / how this happened - Rebecka, did you ever get to the bottom of the sheep food?

Wendy

wbeleno wbeleno
Feb '18

Did you give it to the pregnant goat ? Enquiring minds want to know!

Skippy Skippy
Feb '18

"Did you ever get to the bottom of the sheep food?"

wbeleno - It's only been a few days, I don't think Rebecka can eat that fast.

I would give an eye tooth to be able to play for you all the convo that took place when I called the feed supplier in Nebraska last week.

"Hi, my name is... we received a shipment of sheep food here in New Jersey..."

"Oh yes, we found you on google!"

[Long pause.]

"I'm sorry, you found me on google?"

"That's right! Joshua did, as a matter of fact!"

"And then you sent me some sheep food?"

"Yes!"

This went on for quite a few minutes. And FYI Nebraskans speak very. very. slowly. My feeling of being the Twilight Zone did not diminish.

After quite some time, I was able to deduce from the gentleman (whom I believe was approximately 80 years old and had me on speaker phone in a feed warehouse) that this is what happened:

Someone named Joshua works for them, but he is known to not be the most reliable order-filler. He took a phone order for sheep food recently, but lost the order slip. He used caller ID to call back the person in New Jersey who placed the order, and left 2 messages to get their info. When he didn't get a return call, he decided to use the powers of the internet to track down the person who placed the order, based on *his recollection* of their name, within the State of NJ. (As explained, Joshua is not very reliable; neither is his memory, apparently.)

And that, my friends, is how unexplained sheep food from Nebraska arrives on your doorstep.

Somewhere in our State there is a sad sheep waiting for dinner.

(The food has been donated to a farm sanctuary in upstate NY, which was near where I was visiting over the weekend.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

@GC - LMBO!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

I've had a few phone calls like that - usually related to some piece of tech equipment...
nice donation though

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

"He used caller ID to call back the person"

And you're still denying Barney had something to do with this???

White Shoes White Shoes
Feb '18

I can't stand it anymore. There is this man walking his dog in the Legion playground. He continues to let that dog crap there all the time. Yes he cleans it up, but there is a sign that clearly states NO DOGS on fields. He's doing it right now and there are children on the swings. In the summer I see kids rolling around in the same area on the ground where him and others let there dog do there business. That's it the camera is coming out and I will be filling complaints. It's disgusting. What's just as bad, they through that bag into the garbage can that sits there NEXT to the bench. Take your dog crap home with you, that can gets dumped only once a week. Disgusting pigs.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '18

Tired of hearing that teachers should carry guns. We went into education, went to college for 4+ years to give our hearts, souls, and brains to children. We did not go into education to
carry guns - things meant for killing. Thank goodness I'm retired.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

Honest question - why are you offended that folks feel that honorable back ground vetted professionals responsible for the care of children should be allowed at their option to protect their wards with deadly force if the need arises? it was more a comment on the professionalism of educators and their expertise in the lives that they are entrusted with rather than attempting to force upon you something you had no desire to commit to.

Skippy Skippy
Feb '18

Deleted on purpose; decided not to engage

Aquarius Aquarius
Feb '18

Respect!

Justintime Justintime
Feb '18

Harvey Weinstein and James Tolback still walking around free men.

Imagine 200 or 400 women accused your average guy of sexual harassment, assault or rape. Wouldn't be long before they'd be staring at the walls of a jail cell. These two need to be ARRESTED and held until their trials. You can't tell me the NYPD doesn't have enough evidence to arrest Weinstein *today.* Justice cannot be served with laws that apply differently to the privileged and non.

And personally, I hope Weinstein gets some prison justice after he's convicted. House him with his fellow serial rapists and come what may.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

Tired of ugly and divisive language coming from so many unqualified leaders including our President.

Tired of so many people who think they know all of the intricacies of complicated issues from watching only one new source, conservative or liberal.

Tired of this pathological addiction to guns in this country. No it’s not normal for every Tom Dick and Harriet to be able to buy assault weapons at Walmart. It’s also not normal to assume everyone is out to get you and you need to be packing a concealed weapon to protect you and your family. What an awful way to live.

Grumpier oldgit Grumpier oldgit
Feb '18

People who think they sell suppressed or fully automatic weapons at Walmart and want to remove constitutional rights from law abiding citizens because they refuse to admit the state failed repeatedly.

Skippy Skippy
Feb '18

Jeez....try to start a new venting thread and get told use this one. ITS TOO LONG! SMH!!

Why do people feel its ok to throw their garbage out their car window? Fast food bags. Cups. Paper. Disgusting pigs.

Feb '18

I agree Bothered. Just a week or so ago I pulled into Walmart just as a woman in a grey Toyota mini van with a OCNJ.com shamrock decal on the back parked just a few spaces in from the entrance road by Kohls, tossed a whole cigarette package out of her window. I pulled in off set one space behind her to see what she would do next. She sat there a few minuets then tossed the cigarette out too. I was just getting out to offer her the trash back when she pulled away. Disgusting. She had to know I was watching as there was not another car within 50 spaces! I should post the photo I took.....

I agree Greg and B, throwing trash out the window makes me sick. I do however have one question. Was the pack of butts empty or full. If they were empty that person is a pig. If they were full and they tossed them out the window and then the butt, maybe they were giving up that unhealthy habit. That would be a good thing, but no excuse to litter.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '18

It was empty as after she pulled away I grabbed it and tossed in the trash near the door.

Finally something we can agree on!! Why do people litter ? Are they that lazy and unappreciative of this lovely part of the state we live in? Not that littering anywhere is acceptable but jeez we are so fortunate to live in such a scenic part of the state. Save your trash and dispose of it properly!

Grumpier oldgit Grumpier oldgit
Feb '18

Ok digress time. Ty to the internet; the litterest state is SC. The aspa puts out a report; still looking for it, can’t wait to see how they count that.

Epa has an ap for litter reporting; we got to get this.

Feb '18

Things seem to bother me more when I'm is a pissy mood.........I've had some kind of head cold with the worse sore troat I think I"ve ever had....so I am definitaly in a pissy mood....My Vent: 3 days ago someone started a thread...it got a few replies...I replied also (maybe this is another reason it's pizzin me off) The OP has NOT replied once, and it's not like it's a couple of hours since he/she posted BUT 3 days......I just find it rude....maybe more today then if I were in a great mood but since Im not I'm going to vent away. LOL/GRRRRR

littlelu littlelu
Mar '18

Can two posts in a row be made/???? We shall see.

WHY does the Engilsh language have so many words that sound alike but be spelled different.

English in school was NOT my strong point. Now I've written "soar" a few times on Facebook in the last couple of days and decided today I would check it cause I know I always get it wrong.....well I'm not suprised by my findings....lol

Just another "it only pisses me off casue I'm in a bad mood" lol Did they do it just to keep us on our toes...........or to simpley F*)^ with us? hmmmmmm

littlelu littlelu
Mar '18

What's going on with all these "threats" being made to schools in NJ? What are these young people thinking? Its not a joke. Do these young people need a good ASS KICKING or mental help?

Mar '18

“Why do people feel its ok to throw their garbage out their car window? “

Because they feel personal liberties should outweigh government interference (via laws) and Bc they believe nothing humans do to the earth can harm it (eg pollution), global warming.

Burp - I think they are just ignorant asses

Mar '18

I wonder what the road to (un)civil war looks like?

Justintime Justintime
Mar '18

2 weeks ago on a side road near my house, one WM garbage truck held a rendezvous with another WM garbage truck. They were transferring trash from one truck to the other for some reason.

A bunch of things were spilled on the road and they never picked it up. Some of the things I picked up later that day were mail that had been discarded by the owner. Credit card offer for someone on Bilby Rd, nice!

I haven't been home on trash day since, not sure if that's still going on. There is still trash out there for sure, it's blown around. But I don't go in my neighbors yards unless invited.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '18

Wow. WM would be getting a phone call for leaving the mess. As far as cc offers, that’s up to the person to destroy.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

What happened to getting crosswalks cleared to cross the street instead of climbing over mounds of snow, so much for the handicap ramps also,

What about feeding the meters, do we climb over the snow or just ignore them and hope we don't get a fine, I remember other years the 2 meter guys would work together and clear small paths.

Hillary
Mar '18

Anyone ever reported a road rage driver? Just encountered one in Hackettstown at 46 & Mt. Ave light (NY driver). I got into the left turn light (he was travelling middle of both lanes) and he went into road rage mode. I was 2nd at light & he got into the oncoming 46E lane blocking a car from coming down so that he could try to cut me off. After about a 30-45 seconds he turns into the gas station and as we turn left he comes out and gets in front of the car in front of me and slams on brakes. Car in front honks but turns right on Little as did I to avoid him. I make a left on to Washington and he's coming up Washington and swerves in front of me. I turn around and manage to get a picture of his license plate. Not sure if I should do anything with it though.

Absolutely report it Bonv.

I had an incident about 7-8 years ago on 287 North towards Mahwah. Some 18 wheeler decided I wasn't fast enough for him despite the fact that he had to slow and speed up on the hills and went by me twice. So he decides the last time to over take me, pulls into the lane in front of me but then goes back into the left lane. He slows and turns right into me going the same speed to make me pull off the road since I couldn't brake fast enough. As he went by I saw his trailer had one of those 800 numbers on it. So as I'm off stopped on the side of the road, I turn the engine off and get my cell. The dispatcher told me to hold on because he had direct communication with all of their drivers. I didn't hear the conversation but when the dispatcher came on he told me the guy is now off at an exit ahead while someone from their company comes to pick him up. They suspended the guy and pulled him off the road the instant it happened. I'm glad that guy couldn't do it to the next guy down the road.

You don't have to give it a second thought.

I'm sorry you encountered a nut case like that. I know they have #77, a tip line to use in that instance. I would at least give the police the plate number and description of the event.

Thanks guys - I thought about #77 but figured that was for the major highways. The irony is that there was a Police car blocking Main St at the former Hess Station but there was a person standing & talking to him. My guess is that's why he decided to cut through the gas station. Family says forget about it especially since they're from NY and seemed to be heading out of town (they were turning by the Post Office by the time I got the picture). Still undecided but I've gotta tell you I've never seen anyone pull into ongoing traffic and then driving around trying to find someone. Not normal.

I would definitely report it.

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Mar '18

I decided against reporting it since so much time had passed. I wrote up the incident and will save the picture because you never know.

Thanks to DH, my lovely new puppy now thinks his name is Squeak-Rat.

It's the only name he answers to.

>(

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

so I registered mail sent all the appropriate docs to my accountant on feb 27. I went online to check tracking - which showed delivery delayed- as of March 3rd.....and there it stayed - called usps- on hold for over an hour - got a person who set up whatever to see where my stuff was - gave me another number to check back a few days later - a few days later tracking info hadn't changed - waited over an hour to talk to a rep who could tell me nothing - I finally called the accountant to see what I should do- and voila - he had all my stuff -- post office still shows delivery delayed - relieved and pissed all at once

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '18

I really hate when people make mountains out of mole hills....at the st Patrick's day parade someone rudely stood in front of a bunch of toddlers. Rather than handling the situation in a mature adult way..the parent of the toddler started screaming at the people blocking the toddlers view..He ruined the parade for all the people in his vicinity...the moral of the story is please don't react to a-holes by being a bigger a-hole..even if you are justified..there must be a mature adult way to handle situations like that

Bug3
Mar '18

I don't get how people who have Sect 8, have money to but $9.00 cigarettes. If you can't afford rent, how can you afford cigarettes?

Mar '18

HSS here I come again. I swear when this next surgery is over I'm going to make myself one of those "I survived..." t-shirts.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

I wish you fast healing, Rebecka. Is it your back again?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

So sorry to hear Rebecka. Wishing you a smooth procedure and speedy recovery.

@3wb - you got it. T-shirt will say "I survived 3 spinal fusions." Oi, lol. Thank you RAS.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Wishing you the best, Rebecka. and a speedy recovery...

joyful joyful
Mar '18

i been battling with balls palsy recently..But i think it was creeping early than that..every since my shingle outbreak in sept 2017 but i hate it not catching it early. so frustrating. i can believe that little virus can do so much damage..

another rant is LG appliances and JC Penney. Absolutely horrible experience. been arguing with them for the past 1.5 months. And still they are so incompetent that they havent delievered my refrigerator. unbelievable.. anyone knows a good lawyer that can take this?

joseph joseph
Mar '18

Sending you warm wishes and best of luck Rebecca

Skippy Skippy
Mar '18

Joseph - cancel and order from PC Richards- delivery will be prompt and neat...

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '18

I have been cut-off today while driving, 3 times, by all men! WTH is going on?
One almost took off my front end in Wal-Mart parking lot. The other cut around me, going thru back lot near Srite and the other was a 18 wheeler, who I guess got tired of waiting for the traffic to go past. Mama didn't raise them right.

Mar '18

Omnibus spending bill, 2232 pages, no time to actually read it...again

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics/omnibus-bill/index.html

A powerful politician once said “We have to pass the bill to know what’s in it!”

justintime justintime
Mar '18

+1000 Just

auntiel auntiel
Mar '18

"Now that's the way these guys show the future generation not to give up" when it comes to being out of the playoffs. On camera, in full view 10 seconds before the statement, the league's future sniffing inhalants for a performance advantage. But "not a single instance of drug test failure". A league in denial.

When everyone gets invited to the birthday party...Except your kid.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

This makes me sad. I can only hope it was a mistake.

"When everyone gets invited to the birthday party...Except your kid."

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Mar '18

3wbdwnj - been there. Hurts like hell, for your child and you.

Mar '18

3wbdwnj that just sucks!

littlelu littlelu
Mar '18

3wbdwnj, If this is for a younger child, check your child’s backpack thoroughly and ask your child to clean out their desk at school. Schools usually have rules that invitations can only be passed out if everyone gets one. More than once I have found invitations in my own children’s and grandchildren’s backpacks days or weeks after the party if they were passed out in school. So sorry you are going through this with your child.

Mar '18

I checked it a couple times thinking the same thing, but no dice. Apparently there was a limit on the number of kids and, well, he learned the hard way that he cannot possibly be invited to every party all the time. It was just unfortunate timing that we showed up to the public place at the same time the party was going on.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

That makes my heart hurt. Poor kiddo.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Oh no! Well, it will be a life lesson for your child to pass on to his or her children “about the time... “.

Mar '18

3wbdwnj I am sorry that happened :(

skippy skippy
Mar '18

Why do some smokers stand outside next to a ashtray for cigarettes that some businesses put out, yet throw their butts on the ground. SMH!

Mar '18

Man, that's a tough one. Whatever did you say about the party? I would give huge credit for talking about it rather than keeping it to themselves. Any other kids in the same boat; might help to know you were part of a group...... Gosh, that's a tough one but at least you know.

Mar '18

I don't know when this practice of having to invite the whole class to a party began. It was a celebration for the birthday child and their chosen friends. Why are the schools involved at all when the party is outside school? I doubt all kids want everyone, friends and just classmates, involved on their day. In this case, one child omitted is worse than a group who are not close to or fond of the birthday child. Why aren't invites sent, parent to parent/child at home and not in the school. Please enlighten me.

Mar '18

I believe the rules, for most schools, are that if invitations are distributed in class then the whole class has to be invited. If they are mailed to the homes then it's free choice. IMO it's a fair rule. Sorry about your son being left out. That's not a nice thing to experience. Also, excluding just ONE child is really sucky. I'm sure it could have been handled differently.

So then it is a case of the lazy parent who would rather drop off a bunch of invites rather than send to the home. Seems like a gift grab because no child, imo, likes every kid in their class. After your kid opens 10 gifts, do they really need 20 or more? Don't they also have friends outside of school, neighborhood, sports etc. Wouldn't they rather kids who they like and have things in common? This may seem out of touch but even as an adult, don't you want your select friends at your gatherings? Just my thinking.

Mar '18

Should have clarified, the invites went to everyone in his circle of friends, not even the entire class. But it’s ok now. Another lesson learned.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

I think it's cute for pre-k to kindergarten because they don't have real friends yet so if affordable it's nice to include the whole class. After that, absolutely it should be the kids they are friendly with.

I have to say, 3wb, that's even sadder. Those parents really suck.

3wbdwnj, if your child is young I would make a special outing between you and he/she and explain that not everyone, including parents, always do the right thing. If your child is older, then tell them that life isn't fair and things like this happens and just move on. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for, most times. Don't understand these invites being given out in school if only a select group were invited but some parents are clueless.

Mar '18

"So then it is a case of the lazy parent who would rather drop off a bunch of invites rather than send to the home"

I don't think it's lazy. Work smarter, not harder. Why would you go to the all the trouble of finding addresses, addressing envelopes, spending money on stamps, etc all for invitations that are going to children the kid sees every day in school?!

Maybe because you are inviting someone to your party, for their parents to schedule their day to drop off/pick up after the party, to buy, wrap and bring the gift - that is why you "go to all the trouble..........."

Mar '18

So you're telling me after I put in all the effort of planning the party, putting together goody bags, buying food, preparing food, buying supplies and preparing for activities, etc etc....that I'm lazy since I choose to send in invitations through school?

Ha ha.

Just out of curiosity, justwondering, do you have children?

Yes and yes.

Mar '18

Yikes. Talk about sweating the small stuff.

3wbwnj, Just going from my experience. When my daughter was elementary school age, whenever she wasn't invited to parties it was usually due to the parent's clique not the child's....

positive positive
Mar '18

Oh, about the invites, it doesn't matter how they are given. The kids always find out the next day in school.

positive positive
Mar '18

Couldn’t have said it better myself, positive.
It’s a shame, but true.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '18

My best friend's youngest sister, who might as well be sister, was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. After a double mastectomy, hysterectomy, breast reconstruction surgery, massive amounts of chemo and radiation she was declared cancer free 2 1/2 years ago. In the fall of 2016 it was determined that the cancer was back and spreading like wildfire. The tumors were literally destroying her bones. After a hip replacement, knee replacement and 3 back surgeries and a will to live, the likes of which I have never seen, it's now coming to an end. Hospice care arrived this weekend and she is too weak to even get out of bed. My heart aches for her wonderful husband and her two young daughters ages 12 and 10. She's only 44 years old, way to young to leave this world. Sometimes life really sucks.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

That is so horrible Calico. She endured so much, more than I imagine most people could handle. How heartbreaking!

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '18

Very sad. Who can possibly imagine going through everything she has... and her poor young daughters. There aren't even words.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Just awful. Healing comfort to her and her family.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

I’m sorry calico

Skippy Skippy
Apr '18

This is terrible news, Calico to you and your friends family. There are no words that can say how bad I feel right now for you all...

joyful joyful
Apr '18

I’m sorry Calico. I've lost too many loved ones to cancer. Cancer sucks!
Prayers for you and her family.

Apr '18

Calico ~ Absolutely heartbreaking. There are no words that will ease your pain. I'm so sorry.. Keeping you all in my prayers.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '18

Life certainly doesn't make sense.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '18

I'm sorry Calico, that's so sad.

maja2 maja2
Apr '18

I’m so sorry for what you and your friend is going through. Very very sad for everyone.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have had to deal with losing someone to cancer and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Walking Girl - You are 100% correct. Cancer sucks!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

Blasting music in restaurants. Can’t have a conversation. Why

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '18

Makes me mad. Older guy with money marries young uterus. (Yes of course he has money)..... Guy is 62 + and kid gets SS check from all of us every month. Doesn't matter if mom and dad make 6 or 7 figures. Don't expect the old white guys in power to change that law!

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2018/04/can_melania_and_barron_trump_get_social_security.html#incart_river_mobile_index

maja2 maja2
Apr '18

they are eligible - does not mean they are

skippy skippy
Apr '18

Local Barney Fief handling out tickets today - what a way to start the day.

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Apr '18

This is to the PIG who threw a big open bag of garbage in the middle of the parking lot in front of Marshalls and DD. It wasn't there when I went in the store. A matter of 2 minutes. You are so lucky I didn't see you do it. I would have called the cops. You are disgusting and a disgrace to society. GROW UP!

Apr '18

DH is considering getting a horse.

Horses........

nope not afraid at all.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

In the most densely populated state, how the eff do I get stuck behind the SAME vehicles on my 25 mile commute? I never leave at exactly the same time either, but day after day, the same cars...always the slow ones. I've been behind the same cars on both morning and evening commutes. What are the odds?

Tracy Tracy
May '18

If they are as slow as you say, unless you leave before them, you will eventually catch up to them at some point (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '18

LMBO, ian!! (And that's amazing that happens, Tracy.)

My vent: yay, my first bill after back surgery arrived today. Now begins the months of medical bills arriving on a weekly basis for which it would take PhDs in both finance and medicine to figure out the accuracy of.

How the heck does anyone deal with this? Just pay them all and assume you aren't being double-billed for stuff? That's my solution and I'm thinking it's probably a pretty bad one.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Salad dressing. In the eye. Hurts very much bad.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

If you get Buffalo wing sauce in your eye, bleu cheese dressing can be very soothing.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

For some reason, this photo fills me with a sense of dread and makes me question my reality and everything I hold dear as an American condiment consumer... I may need to leave work early and get a stiff drink.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Rebecka Wait till you deal with Medicare. I check but I know many seniors must just pay. The other day asked my primary doctor about what I knew about about a heart test. He looked on line and said its a long story and he did not know. I have no idea what I read on a blood test today. No wonder they have a pro to do there billing collecting

Old Gent Old Gent
May '18

fortunately I haven't had a problem with medicare and supplemental - but what boggles my mind are the amounts hospitals charge for everything - knowing they will get much less -
and I wonder what they actually charge people for the same services who don't have insurance - there's an aura of russian roulette or something similar - crap shoot? who knows

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

Cotter pins. Chain link clips. Half millimeter screws. And anything so small the chance you will drop it and lose it forever is OVER 100%.

I wish I could hire a pro to take care of figuring out the bills, Old Gent. No kidding, I'd probably end up saving money. If memory serves, I received 24 separate bills for my first surgery, and 19 for the second one. One of the bills I got was for $0.51 for some type of a tube. Gotta love it.

4catmom - I do think there is a formula. They just change it every half hour to keep things interesting. You should have seen the number of phone calls I had to make to find out ONE number. One! How much the surgeon was going to charge me for his services alone, because he no longer takes any type of insurance whatsoever. You would think that would be a pretty straightforward question, and the same number for every surgery of a particular type. Nope. They couldn't give me an answer. It took over a week for them to come up with a number, and I have no idea what exactly they were "figuring out" to arrive at it.

@ian - You're on a roll of late. I probably pulled a stitch laughing.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Becca --- From my experience, the first commandment for health care with insurance is use the website, Luke, use the website. Depending on your carrier, mine
- computes what I owe and have never been wrong
- fights for me, makes calls, does the negotiation, I have never been let down
- even has fought for me on OONetwork
= literally fought for $20 on $100 bill for OON where their supplier handled billing so I got $20 on a OONetwork bill, go figure.

And their 1-800 insurance line does the rest. Don't know how many times I heard: "would you like me to call, figure it out, and then call you back?" And they do.....even for the OONetwork $20 which took two tries.

Now I will say that my MIL had kryptonite plan from the 50's so after a couple hundred thousand in charges, I paid a $1,800 bill from Motown Hosp. Later, at tax time, I noticed it didn't turn up in the EOY insurance tracking. So I called 1-800 insurance and they told me it was an optional charge for single room which, because an option, was not in final bill. Called and found Motown had incorrectly billed, refunded 100%

But if this was my account, probably would have caught it on day one. Just thought she had to pay something..... Good to have 50's pension, benefits, and work in insurance industry :>) But as she was the greatest generation, now that's gone forever too.

Hope that helps --- but going online with your insurance company, using their 800, might make this a lot easier. PLUS ---- there is no hurry, figure it out before you pay because once you pay ---- it's harder to get it back. I have yet to get a late charge, maybe someone else can elaborate.

May '18

Not to worry about Medicare. After Becca pays this bill, she will be on Medicaid. :>) chillax, just kidding.......

For medicare, if I get there:>) I plan to use an insurance company in front of medicare so I can just deal with them instead of dealing with two entities.

That's the plan at least.

May '18

LMAO you may well be correct!!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

OMG- Has Mama's gotten expensive. Haven't ordered in a couple of years. To hot to cook, home alone, so I'll treat myself and have it delivered. 2 apps & 1 Entrees. Enough for 2 days. Almost $60 dollars. Do they still drive Beamers or have they upgraded? Oh well what the heck it's only money. ;)

auntiel auntiel
May '18

That doesn’t sound right auntiel. I just got two entrees from Sonnys for 34, with tax.

I just text my hubby and told him. I got the WHAT? you didn't order from Sonny's. Then he laughed and said, if you paid once in a while you would know these things. I know I should have done Sonny's.

auntiel auntiel
May '18

Did you get the 5% off?

Everybody does.

May '18

Rest easy Marie. It truly was my good fortune to have known a woman as beautiful and wonderful as you.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Oh no, Calico. I am so sorry. I can hear your heart breaking in your words which brought tears to my own eyes. My sincere condolences.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Thanks Rebecka. I am heartbroken.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Big hugs, Calico... I'm sorry for your loss.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Sorry for your loss

Skippy Skippy
May '18

So sorry Calico. Hope all your happy memories of her can heal you and her family. So young and so sad. Horrible disease.

May '18

So very sorry Calico...

positive positive
May '18

So sorry to hear of your loss, Calico.

Spring fever Spring fever
May '18

Thank you all for the kind words.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

The BOE “you-have-zero-rights-but-we-retain-every-right” lawyer-speak now takes up more room on a permission slip than the actual permission description! A full 2/3 page!

Not only that, the damn effing lawyers wrote the waiver with the following in BOLD text, to “release, waive ... from any and all claims...”, now get this, “including the negligence of the board”, followed immediately by standard legal stuff that’s NOT in bold text.

I get that paranoid lawyers rule the roost anymore, sadly, but these fine lawyers have specifically (and in BOLD text no less!) told us that the board, even in its potential negligence, is protected by law and can’t be touched. Really? Really?

I can’t imagine how any court would uphold a negligence provision if the board truly did act in a negligent manner. That being the case, the only possible reason for throwing it into the legalease (which includes everything except the kitchen sink of course) is because of sheer arrogance: “We can eff up royally and there’s not a blessed thing you can do about it!”. Or maybe I’m wrong about that and the text is more of an “eff you, we have the power and you have none”. Oh wait, that’s arrogance either way...

I’ve never been one to board-bash, but I’m definitely coming around to seeing what others have been talking about. This crap is getting way out of control. I wish they’d hire lawyers who put realistic contract terms into their legalease instead of intentionally alienating those who elected them.

Ok, sorry ‘bout that. Vent over, carry on...

justintime justintime
May '18

That’s never going to hold up - that’s step one when something happens is they turf you to the board attorney who shows you the permission slip.

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I am getting these very strange emails from Amazon thanking me for reviewing different products. These are items that I have never ordered from them and I've never written a review. Not sure why this is happening or what to do about it.

Molly
May '18

A favorite saying: paper does mot refuse ink.

Sign away: it would never hold except against nuisance cases.

May '18

Molly - IGNORE! These are phishing emails to get your log in and password to Amazon. They are not really from Amazon. Do not log on to "Amazon" via a link in these emails! Or someone will be ordering more than a couple books with your cc.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Found out last night that my best friend lost her baby at 17 weeks. This was not a total shock, as it was a very high risk pregnancy, but it still sucks so badly after she made it this far. I'm heartbroken for her. Has anyone been through this? What helps? What can I do?

Tracy Tracy
May '18

I'm sure your friend is heartbroken, too, Tracy. Even if it's not a total shock, it's still completely heartbreaking. I don't have any experience with miscarriages personally, although my mom had one between me and my youngest brother, and I remember she cried for weeks.

Maybe one idea: a dear friend of mine in France miscarried in her 5th month. And everything had been going fine! Talk about devastation. She wanted to name the baby she would never have, and also give him a proper burial. We all supported her in doing so, and if you think the tears weren't flowing for the fetus and the parents who lost him that day, well... I have tears in my eyes just typing this. Is such a ceremony ever done in this country, though? (It's not unusual in France.)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

My puppy just completely shredded all of his AKC paperwork. I don't even know how to feel about it. It almost seems... appropriate?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

As my dog guru stated on many occasions, "It's your fault for leaving them within his reach."

Courtney
May '18

Yup, that's pretty much their attitude Courtney!

I really don't know how an unattended puppy can get so much accomplished in 10 minutes, either. He not only destroyed his AKC documents (probably eating his family tree along the way), an entire jumbo roll of Bounty was ALSO torn up and strewn clear across three rooms. I'd probably be running a Fortune-500 company right now if I were half as efficient as Ned.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Puppies are amazing in their destructive capabilities, and so incredibly quiet while wreaking havoc. I once left my GSD puppy unattended to run upstairs for a second. However, while I was up there, the phone rang and I ended up in a lengthy conversation.

When the conversation ended, I descended the stairs to find him waiting anxiously, flecks of foam throughout his fur. He'd been eyeing a sofa cushion for a week, so before I'd even seen the damage, I knew what he'd done.

He shredded that thing. It took two vacuums and a shovel to clean that mess up.

Courtney
May '18

"...two vacuums and a shovel..."

Cannot. Stop. Laughing.

We are all getting a nice visual of the crime scene. I believe we could trade more than a few fun GSD puppy escapade stories, Courtney. Isn't it fantastic when they go through their I'm-actually-an-alligator snapping phase?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Ah, the "I'm-actually-an-alligator snapping phase." I remember it well. That chapter of my GSD puppy's youth actually led to a crazy doctor diagnosing me with rabies.

At the ripe old age of eight weeks, this puppy leapt up and chomped on my arm. Unlike the usual bruising, this one actually broke the skin. Having decided that it would be in my best interest to get a tetanus shot, I made an appointment with a doctor.

Upon my arrival, he proceeded to question me about the puppy's vaccinations. As you know, a dog that young can't be vaccinated for rabies. I tried to explain this to him to no avail. He looked at me in disgust and said, "You're lucky I didn't call the health department." He scribbled down diagnosis "rabies."

You should have seen the woman's face at the desk when I went to pay the pill. He must have done this kind of thing before because her co-worker told her to just ignore it.

And now I find adult dogs preferable.

Courtney
May '18

I agree Courtney! I have an American Bully that went through a terrible destructive phase as a puppy......he shredded countless books, tore (3) dog beds to pieces, chewed the arms and cushions off (2) wing chairs, chewed up an entire couch , ripped the living room carpet off the floor, and chewed the molding and trim around doorways.
He will be turning 3 in September and seems to have outgrown most of that, except for the occasional mishap. Not sure how he or I survived those days...lol!

YOU may have survived, JRT, but do you have any furniture left? I'm picturing everyone in your house kind of sitting around on the floor? That was one busy boy you had for a while there!

I agree re: adult dogs now, Courtney. Our present female GSD was 8 years old when we adopted her. Darn good and mellow. I do believe I've had enough GSD puppy adventures for one lifetime.

ps sorry to hear about your rabies. Hope you're feeling better now. LMBO sounds like a great doc.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I never went back to that doctor, Rebecka. He was advanced in age, and I seriously doubt he's practicing anymore. I would certainly hope not.

JRT, I'm glad your boy ended his reign of terror. I don't know if I could have lived through it. At least my sofa was old and needed replacing.

Courtney
May '18

Lol Rebecka....Honestly I lived with chewed up furniture and ripped carpet for quite a while until it was safe to replace (didn't invite anyone over due to embarrassment). When I felt he was done chewing I got new furniture and ripped up the rest of the carpet to put in hardwood floors.
Still need to repair trim and molding....but its getting there lol. Once in a while he will still try out a pillow.... But it is far better than it used to be.
Throughout that phase when things got so bad and he was chewing through everything I owned, I did attempt to crate him......I would come in the door after work and one part of the crate would be in the kitchen and the other part in the living room and he would be waiting with tail wagging as I entered....no idea how he managed that since the door on crate was still locked...lol! But obviously it didn't work :)

"I would come in the door after work and one part of the crate would be in the kitchen and the other part in the living room..." -JRT

Hmmm. FYI Courtney and I are both starting to get impressed. This is beyond the average GSD puppy capabilities. I assume you went through your share of nice bottles of wine in the evenings throughout his puppyhood? Not sure how else you would have survived with sanity intact.

WOW American Bully pups sound challenging.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Yes...definitely lots of cocktails :) and he was by far the worst I have ever encountered as far as "puppyhood"
The cage was slightly bent and he was smaller then. The only thing I could think of was that he was squeezing through the small opening? I don't know because I gave up on the crate thinking he would get stuck or hurt himself while I was gone. So he happily went back to his freedom and chewing lol!
Glad those days are over..... He was tough, but is the most friendly and loving dog. He has a great personality.

Now I understand why some people don't have regular check ups with their doctors. Even with insurance, you get hit. Had Cigna for years, blood work never cost a penny. Now with BCBS, and cost me out of pocket, almost $100. Ridiculous!!! If one insur co doesn't charge you, why does the other? GREED?
Same codes as before. I don't get it.

May '18

BBY, did you go to LabCorp?

ianimal ianimal
May '18

All the insurance companies have been introducing co-pays with blood work. I've had 3 companies in the past 6 years and they've all charged $10.

I have Horizon BCBS. Bloodwork through LabCorp is in-network with no co-pay for any tests we've needed done to date. However, everywhere else is considered out-of-network and you have to pay whatever the lab charges.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Ditto what ianimal said.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Yes Lab Corp, which I didnt care for.
BCBS applied the bw towards my deductible. No copay. They took my CC info and then I got charged a week later. She said when I went for my appt, they may or may not charge me. Depends.
Well, they did.

May '18

Maybe they did a test that isn't covered? I've never been asked to pay at the lab when I went for blood work.

maja2 maja2
May '18

I’ve had the same experience with Horizon, Omnia Gold, never paid for blood work. They have asked for a credit card in case it’s denied or not paid in full, but happily, never an issue, YET, lol.

Bessie Bessie
May '18

My vent is that it has rained, every day, for the last 7 days. And it looks like it going to rain, every day for the next 6. Please, weather gods, make it stop.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

We ark builders disagree, 3wbdwnj! LOL

I hear you- a few days of sun will be most welcome.

Greg - How will you get the polar bears and emperor penguins for your ark? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Two by two of course! LOL!!

Why the unicorns died out.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Old black water, keep on rollin'
Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me?
Keep on shinin' your light
Gonna make everything, everything
Gonna make everything all right
And I ain't got no worries
'Cause I ain't in no hurry at all

- The Doobie Brothers
"Black Water"

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Again with the rain!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

What makes you think you can park in a no parking zone, to run into the atore? What makes you think you can leave your shopping cart in the check out lane to go look at other stuff, when others are waiting to check out?
What makes you think you can go shopping when you're drunk and reaking of alcohol? What's wrong with some people? Why do they think they're "entitled"?

May '18

And what makes you think you can walk around all day judging people? You must be perfect.

scottso scottso
May '18

Weeks of craziness with that robin and her window crashing, just to watch the lone survivor of her nest, a COWBIRD, fledge!

Courtney
May '18

Scottso - I'm not judging ANYONE. Just asking questions about what I witnessed. Was it you??

May '18

The first two questions would annoy me. But for the third, I’d hope the individual would get the help he or she needs.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

An hour and a half ago I set a timer to remind myself to do something important at 1 PM today. The timer just went off. For the life of me I cannot remember what important thing I am supposed to be doing right now.

Between ADD and an aging brain, it's amazing I remember to feed myself.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Lol Rebecka, you’re not alone. Before I stepped out for lunch I left my calculator in a weird spot on my desk as a reminder just so I’d remember to do something when I got back.

justintime justintime
May '18

Sticky notes have become my best friend - stop doing something right it on a sticky so I remember WHAT I was doing OR WHERE to begin again -

End of day - write what I have to do the next day on a sticky!

wbeleno wbeleno
May '18

Fun tip pull them from the side so they don’t curl

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Do sticky notes curl if you stick them on your forehead?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Rebecka's cartoon is cool, but I've always liked this version of what happened to the Unicorns better, even though it also is tied to that there "Noah" concept:

"The Unicorn" by The Irish Rovers - love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=mN-uA9CiV_w

They finally wrote and released a followup to the original tune on its 50th Anniversary for those who wondered whatever happened to the unicorns called "The Continuing Story of The Unicorn":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3MKGCRfRA

Phil D. Phil D.
May '18

how come some people have no clue it's a nice thing to take turns going through the tunnel on Rockport Road? I kind of figure letting about 5 or 6 cars then time to give the other side a turn---

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

Phil D. Did you see the Irish Rovers when they played in Newton a year or two ago?

alpha1beta alpha1beta
May '18

alpha1beta

No, sadly I had other obligations and missed them. I've had the CD with "The Unicorn" on it for years. My GF in college was a DJ and that was one of "our songs", as unusual as that may seem. I'll have to get the new CD they mention on the 2nd youtube page.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '18

Charlie the unicorn.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGYh8AacgY

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

There’s seriously something wrong with the women who make sandwiches at the Quick Check on 517…. They seem to regularly screw up sandwich orders. I asked for extra meat on my breakfast sandwich this morning and there were two pieces total. What are you kidding me? Maybe instead of complaining how you’re already done with the work day, you concentrate on getting orders right…

Metsman Metsman
Jun '18

I agree Metsman. It seems quality customer service is a lost art.

The other night I had to return an item to Walmart. The line was about 4-5 people long however there was a holdup as a manager was required to be paged and come to handle something. As I stood waiting and chatting with a fellow on line, I noted the demeanor, body language and just overwhelming negative attitude of the woman behind the counter. When it was my turn I greeted her with a cheerful Hi how are you? As I always do. Without even looking at me she barked one word- "receipt". As I handed it to her I cheerfully said " I think you meant to say do you have the receipt please". Again with no eye contact she said " I ain't saying please". I remained silent. She then asked what the item was. Mind you it was sitting on the counter 8 inches from her and was the only item on the receipt! Still she never once looked up from the screen and never looked at me. I picked up the package and said lets see... she then said sternly "mason jars". I simply stated yes. She then counted the cash back and placed it on the counter still not ever looking at me. I picked it up counted it and as I was putting it in my wallet, said sternly " with that kind of attitude I recommend you find another line of work". That finally got her to look at me and make the "tcha" sound.( I don't know the onomatopoeia for that sound). I simply cheerfully said "that is exactly the issue".
I did seek out the manager on duty as she was just there. She was clearly uninterested in my thoughts. I purposely lingered around a few minutes to see if she even went back to customer service area to talk with Miss Happy pants. She never did.

It's lost because people are lazy.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '18

Good for you Greg, for commenting to her and the manager about her disposition. Unfortunately, it probably won't matter. Sigh....

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '18

Bonus points to Greg for using the word onomatopoeia.

Anyway, it's a store. People there make little money and that is not going to improve.

Some are cheerful, some are not, some maybe not for good reason. When I have shopped there, I have tried to think about what life would be like for someone who has to live on that salary, or who needs the job and cannot do something else for some reason.
Personally I don't believe anyone working there is privileged in life for whatever reason. I cut them some slack as I feel grateful that I have a better career with a better income, partially by luck, partially by hard work, and partially by my health-any of those 3 things that could fail at any moment.

This is America, the land of "nobody owes you anything in life."
Well they don't owe you service with a smile either.

Life has a way of chipping at you one little bit at at a time like making a sculpture in rock. It chips at you nice, you look one way, it chips at you hard, well.....

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

Thought-provoking post, Dodgebaal.

@Greg - I think we can all relate to your experience, and at so many different places. ps What are you canning? ;-)

My vent for the day:
Either my phone calendar is routinely mixing up appointments, I have recently become completely dyslexic, or I have advanced Mad Cow Disease. There are no other options.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Dodgeball - Even if they don't smile or act cheerful, they could at least speak in full sentences to customers. Yes, no?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '18

I completely agree DB however I’m sure Wal-Mart dictates a modicum if decorum when acting in a customer facing role - they have every right to take action because these employees are the Face ID their business. We also have the right to shop at target if the people are more polite - there’s a financial feedback loop we need to avail ourselves to in order to rectify this situation

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

If you value better polite service go to our local hardware store instead of the cheapo big box store

eapos eapos
Jun '18

Right on

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

A Customer is the most important visitor, on our premises
He is not dependent on us
We are dependent on him
He is not an interruption of our work
He is the purpose of it
He is not an outsider to our business
He is part of it
We are not doing him a favor by serving him...
He is doing us a favor by allowing us the opportunity to do it

Sign that hangs above my desk... Read it every single day to remind myself

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '18

Oh my goodness I am going to print that out and hang it above my desk, JrzyGrl. I don't deal with the public in a retail situation, but via phone on a volunteer basis with a difficult population... where it's almost too easy to lose patience. Those are great words which can definitely still apply. Thank you.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Very easy to lose patience.

When a car lets you cross the road or parking lot, don't cross like you're out for a Sunday stroll. Be considerate and put some PEP in your step.

Jun '18

Calico, my quote:

"Dodgeball - Even if they don't smile or act cheerful, they could at least speak in full sentences to customers. Yes, no?"

I'm not saying I would not, not saying they should not, but hey, if they don't they don't.
Not going to get in a tizzy over it. Maybe like some others I should be upset but for the life of me I cannot.
They have a crap job paying crap wages-maybe it's their fault, maybe not.
Not everyone has the skills to be a lawyer, but if they are willing to work should be able to have a job that at least pays some sort of a living wage.

Supermarkets used to be Union, like Pathmark, people there made great money.
Plenty of factories in the 50's through the ages paid living wages where wife could stay at home, you had healthcare, benefits and pensions. No college degree required.
Why the older generation, who are the one's who primarily benefited from this, don't feel that the younger generation is not given the same chances is absurd. They were paid high wages for little education and bought houses that have inflated in price to absurd amounts. They have saddled the taxpayers of NJ with high debt (to the tune of 200 BILLION DOLLARS.

Inflation hit medical insurance, housing, and education very hard (necessities)

OTOH, Luxuries, such as TV sets, clothing, etc is much less expensive.

So the things you must have cost more, and the things you could do without cost less.
This is a formula for disaster.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

Globalists that call themselves American Patriots

Those that outsource American Jobs, yet fly American flags.
Those that import workers to America through visas, yet call themselves Americans.

You end up giving foreigners American technology.
You end up teaching foreigners skills that can be used against Americans.

How does this make you an American patriot?
How does this make America stronger?

Seems like all it does it put more things in American landfills, and increases the risk of danger to America overall.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

@ Rebecka glad you liked it.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '18

I disagree. If an employee or person is not happy in their station in life well do something about it. It does not give a person a free pass to act in such an unpleasant manner to others particularly when in a customer service position. Moving through life with a chip on their shoulder is immature and simply a "poor me" cop out attitude. It all comes down to having self respect and respect for others.

For Pete's sake the Boy Scouts sum it up in three words: Do Your Best. If folks practiced that creed in 50% of life's issues etc or just apply it to the nuts and bolts aspect of living we would live in a much better place.

There is a baby goat in the classifieds.

A *smiling* baby goat.

AND she's wearing a fabulous pink bandana.

This is not fair. One should not be allowed to post such overtly tempting things in classified sections. It should be outlawed. Who do I call?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Call the owner of the cute goat and buy her!!

maja2 maja2
Jun '18

“For Pete's sake the Boy Scouts sum it up in three words: Do Your Best. If folks practiced that creed in 50% of life's issues etc or just apply it to the nuts and bolts aspect of living we would live in a much better place.”

Problem is “good enough” has replaced “do your best” in our society. There’s no reason to do ones best if there’s a support system (read government) that allows it.

justintime justintime
Jun '18

And I'll just say "Maja made me do it" when DH gets home and discovers a baby goat now lives in the sunroom?

Seriously someone... please buy the goat before I send her owner a message asking if baby would travel comfortably in a Subaru hatchback.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

How do people actually find a job, get an interview and get hired? Are headhunters the only way to go now? I spend so much time on monster, indeed, simplyhired, filling out applications, submitting cover letters, resumes, following up on every application, I feel like everything just goes into space. And I am not even getting a call or email back with any interest. What is going on?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

3wb - I know what you mean. That happened to my husband a few years ago, when he was looking. He would apply to at least a dozen ads a week and would be lucky if even one got back to him.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '18

3wb,

You are being vetted by a computer. The computer decides if you are worthy of the job or not. They are called Applicant Tracking Systems. Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applicant_tracking_system

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

Thanks for the info dodgeball. I had my resume and cover letter redone recently with that knowledge in mind.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

https://www.today.com/food/ihop-changing-its-name-ihob-internet-freaks-out-t130358

IHOP changed its name wtf

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

3wbdwnj The secrets to beating an applicant tracking system (ATS)

https://www.cio.com/article/2398753/careers-staffing/careers-staffing-5-insider-secrets-for-beating-applicant-tracking-systems.html

https://www.jobscan.co/blog/applicant-tracking-system-and-ats-systems/

https://www.workinsports.com/blog/7-secrets-of-applicant-tracking-system-every-candidate-should-decode/

skippy skippy
Jun '18

Thanks, skippy! I’ll look thru those links.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

Everything is so depersonalized these days. Sad... :-/

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Best of luck - hopefully your resume writer did some of this already

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

Why do people abandon dogs on the side of the road? If you don't want it or can't care for it, take it to a shelter or vet. I don't understand that frame of mind.

Jun '18

The Anniversary of the largest amphibious invasion in history. Where 20 thousand men lost there lives, and all the lead stories on the news, are about a handbag designer, that took her own life..... SMH

MsLang MsLang
Jun '18

Rebecka, seriously. Reading those articles is completely demoralizing. Like I don't spend enough time already trying to land a better, more permanent job, now I have to "beat" a system of robots that will skip over my resume if I used Times New Roman font. How annoying.

My vent: people that use the world as their trash can. Why do people think it's okay to litter? This morning I saw a Shoprite bag filled with fast food garbage just abandoned in a parking lot. And then there are the smokers who also think the world is their ashtray.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '18

I will never understand why people litter either, Tracy. It makes you wonder what their homes look like, too. Maybe they just throw trash out their windows if it's more convenient than going to the waste bin? I also wonder why they don't just keep a little bag in their cars like some of us do for the inevitable car trash...

Update on previous vent about the aftermath of countless bills following back surgery: HSS has made it much easier to keep track of all the bills. Probably many other hospitals now do the same, too. There is now a billing section in my patient portal which shows all the bills that have been paid, so I don't have to wonder or keep track of all the paper ones that still arrive. And I signed up so that I get an email when a new bill is ready to be paid. I just wish the title of the email were different. It cheerily says, "You have a new billing statement in MyHSS!" It should say, "Take a deep breath and now, once again, slowly remove a small piece of plastic from your wallet. Thank you."

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

DH just told me about a talk therapist who charges $10/minute and takes no insurance. Damn. Wondering what kind of car HE drives. Not to mention the people who pull up to his office. Mind kind of blown at that rate. If I were seeing him I think I'd be inclined to talk really, really quickly...

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Wow, this guy gets plumbers rates

eapos eapos
Jun '18

Yeah - there are some old jokes that go around in doctors' circles: all docs encourage their daughters to marry plumbers so they'll be better off. And docs need to schedule a plumber at least a few weeks out to come to their house, so they can scrape together enough money to pay them.

I've realized my underlying vents weren't really about this one therapist, though. Fine if he can find people who can pay him that much, and in fact I've now heard it's not that exorbitant based on "going rates" for the specific type of therapy and services he provides.

It's about the medical system in this country. People who need care and can't afford it. And the even larger issue which I think about often.... can I please have a magic wand to fix income disparity on a GLOBAL level immediately? It disgusts and saddens me. But I've vented about these things before and I'm repeating myself... and there doesn't seem to be a wand. :'(

I think I probably think about this more than others because I've visited some very poor places. Not easy to see nor forget. Maybe my vent should be that I wish I could forget and stop thinking about it!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

It depends on the specialty - there are psychologists that do coaching for c-suite executives that command those rates - but look at their clientele. For example - If you’re the CEO of Exxon and you are having trouble with getting the board to buy in on initiatives or need coaching with getting to the next level as a senior director it may be worth it. These folks are not dealing with general anxiety. Another example - clinicians who deal with court ordered best interest evaluations for custody - they can charge thousands and maintain independence. It’s all about the deliverable.

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

You are describing exactly what I used to do, Skippy. I worked for a company that did (still does) C-suite executive-level coaching, with a team of many respected psychologists (Yale-trained, many) to do it. Our clients included board members and VPs from Coca-Cola and Nestle etc etc... the rates were pretty high, but not *this* high. And this particular therapist treats regular individuals with exactly what you said - high levels of anxiety, etc. To find out that that is near the going cash rate in this field for someone of his qualifications is still mind-blowing to me. We started down a slippery slope in this country a few years ago, and now see more and more doctors who no longer accept any type of insurance. I fully understand *why* - but we've now got a medical system where the really good docs who don't need to accept insurance don't, and only those who can afford to pony up the cash can see them. It's not fair. I had to pay my spine surgeon cash for his services, and feel guilty every single day because how is that fair that I can pay him, and people who need this same exact surgery cannot afford it? It's NOT fair. It's horrible. And I can't seem to get my hands on a magic wand.

And for the record and full-disclosure: DH does not accept insurance in his practice, but does provide the papers necessary for patients to be reimbursed, and maintains at all times a large percentage of uninsured patients who are 100% pro bono, because a) he grew up in extreme poverty (think: stealing food at 6 because he was so hungry) and b) we both think the system is just so unfair.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Agreed interesting perspective

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

Probably weird to hear that DH and I both wish we had a fair, equitable one-payer system in this country. Yeah, he'd personally make less moolah, and so would every other practicing physician, but so what? We'd be all for a system that worked where everyone could get a reasonably equitable level of healthcare in America.

Ok enough venting from me about the healthcare system. Sorry, I could go on for a week lol. Next.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Rebecka - this is very interesting article on the history:
https://www.wnyc.org/story/canadians-have-universal-health-insurance-why-dont-we/

Well much like in the EU it’s still a capitalist economy - under single payer systems there are private physicians for those that don’t want to wait - and DH may have to do less pro-bono work. May even out.

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

Omg. I have like 28 people waiting to hear back from me "urgently," and I just looked out the window and all my chickens are running around loose in the yard. And I'm alone on the farm. Holy ---- what else is going to happen to me today? And how the heck did they get out of their enclosure?

At this point I'm thinking of blowing both bird situation and all the people off and may just go put my feet up and have a cocktail.

Anyone feel like wrangling up some chickens? I'll pay you a dollar a caught bird.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

And... I just went out and stumbled upon a good-size bear using our pond as his personal swimming pool.

That's it. Cocktail time. Today is done.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

We’ve had a bear take a dip in our giant pond too:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '18

In a low inquisitive voice in the background:

"Uh, this is all very entertaining indeed Rebecka. Thanks for the pool invite. But would it be too much of an imposition for one of those cranberry & vodka over here? Looking forward to the chicken francaise. But kinda parch at the moment..."

And the bear would ask for pool toys too

Just my thought when I saw the picture

Wendy

Wbeleno Wbeleno
Jun '18

Not a vent per se, but as crazy as it sounds coming from me, I find myself missing SD’s presence on the site. I sincerely hope all is well with him and his family...

justintime justintime
Jun '18

Me too, Justintime! I hope he didn't go and get himself banned!

Jun '18

I have a feeling he'll be back...

Vodka cranberries for all in the meantime.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

omg Rebecka - love just love it

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Wonder whether he’ll have a new name? He’s had 3 since I have been on the Forum.
I think it’s time.

Jun '18

Also wondered about SD, I hope he's alright...

Banned? Well, he told people off in riddles, nothing apparently vulgar in his posts. I can't see why he would be banned.

I don't think anyone should be banned..we are all adults here. Take it or leave it.

Freedom of speech.

positive positive
Jun '18

Freedom of speech for sure. However this is a privately owned site. The owner can allow or deny any type of content they wish.

Also, while most are actual adults posting on this site, not everyone behaves like adults on the forum. LOL.

From the terms section at the bottom of the page:

By using Hackettstown Life you are agreeing to the following terms:

Be Nice.
You must not abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate or intimidate other users.
You are solely responsible for your conduct and any information that you submit or post to this web site.
You understand and agree that we cannot be responsible for the content posted on this web site and that you use this service at your own risk.
We may, but have no obligation to, remove content for any reason at any time. This includes, but is not limited to, content that we determine in our sole discretion is unlawful, offensive, threatening, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party's intellectual property.
We reserve the right to modify this service, change these Terms of Use or refuse service for any reason at any time without notice.

“Pity the Nation…”

“Pity the nation whose people are sheep,
and whose shepherds mislead them.
Pity the nation whose leaders are liars, whose sages are silenced,
and whose bigots haunt the airwaves.
Pity the nation that raises not its voice,
except to praise conquerors and acclaim the bully as hero
and aims to rule the world with force and by torture.
Pity the nation that knows no other language but its own
and no other culture but its own.
Pity the nation whose breath is money
and sleeps the sleep of the too well fed.
Pity the nation — oh, pity the people who allow their rights to erode
and their freedoms to be washed away.
My country, tears of thee, sweet land of liberty.”
― Lawrence Ferlinghetti

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

4catmom, I believe Khali Gibran actually wrote that poem, however it was in a collection of poems put together by Lawrence Ferlinghetti.
Would love to have the time to go through both authors works. Very timely.

Jun '18

Ferlinghetti wrote it --and this is the Gibran poem:

Kahlil Gibran
“Pity the nation that is full of beliefs and empty of religion.
Pity the nation that wears a cloth it does not weave
and eats a bread it does not harvest.

Pity the nation that acclaims the bully as hero,
and that deems the glittering conqueror bountiful.

Pity a nation that despises a passion in its dream,
yet submits in its awakening.

Pity the nation that raises not its voice
save when it walks in a funeral,
boasts not except among its ruins,
and will rebel not save when its neck is laid
between the sword and the block.

Pity the nation whose statesman is a fox,
whose philosopher is a juggler,
and whose art is the art of patching and mimicking

Pity the nation that welcomes its new ruler with trumpeting,
and farewells him with hooting,
only to welcome another with trumpeting again.

Pity the nation whose sages are dumb with years
and whose strongmen are yet in the cradle.

Pity the nation divided into fragments,
each fragment deeming itself a nation.”

― Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Woah. Did Gibran have a crystal ball?

Thanks for sharing, 4cat. I had never read this poem of his, or the other by Ferlinghetti.

Very timely works indeed.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Rebecka - someone I know posted the Ferlinghetti and then Spring Fever sent me hunting for both - Yes sadly timely - both

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Ferlinghetti often takes familiar writings or passages of them, then paraphrases, reworks, and plays with the cadence. Things like Wordsworth or Longfellow but modern happenings, the "wigdom" of the Lord's Prayer, etc.

Gibran didn't have a crystal ball Rebecka. That was an echo of his time that's just our destiny to repeat all over again.

I saw him do readings while in college. Very interesting.

So sorry for the mix up 4catmom! You are correct! I Glanced too quickly at the source I was using. But I love both versions and now want to order both editions in which they are found. Thank you for the correction. Both poems are amazing and should be required reading for " both parties" no, make that three...

Jun '18

My interpretation is different, GC.. I don't feel his works were a echo of his time when he wrote this... but instead a prediction what can happen/and what is obviously happening now in our lifetime... and that he is saying that.in the future and if these things should happen..it would indeed be a pity

joyful joyful
Jun '18

GC, I had to read Gibran in High school and College, but envy you for being able to hear him in person! However, Timothy Leary once stepped his bare left foot on my hand while attending a college evening lecture. Eat your heart out! ; )

Jun '18

Rebecka, I'm dying over that pic of the bear in the pond. I need to come visit your farm and sit and wait for the wildlife.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '18

Spring Fever - I should have been more explicit and put the statement closer to the top paragraph. I meant I had heard Ferlinghetti. If I had heard Gibran while still alive I would have to be over 100. Ferlinghetti is still alive, and he's about 100.

joyful - I agree is definitely a cautionary tale. But I think it was more "here this is what happened to us, don't let it happen again to you" instead of "I'm afraid this might happen in the future". He had been through WWI and the break up of the Ottoman's. I think his comments are what he thought was going on in Lebanon at that time as well as the rest of the world.

Three of them. Are out. Again. Did they dig a secret escape tunnel or WHAT?

Between the chickens and the news of Trump being nominated for a Nobel Prize, I think it's going to be another five-o'clock-in-Iceland type late afternoon on the farm.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Weeping and praying for the 'Good Christians' that honestly have no problem with families being separated while they are being detained. I guess only #SomeLivesMatter ----

trekster3~ trekster3~
Jun '18

with you trekster3

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Let’s ask the family of Kate Steinle, shot by an illegal who was let off because he didn't know how guns work...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/16/kate-steinle-murder-case-explained-from-trumps-comments-to-doj-arrest-warrant.html

US citizen murdered by an illegal alien *crickets*

Children from illegal aliens get seperated from their parents who used them in the commission of a
Crime they come out of the wood work.

Article IV, Section 4 US constitution.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion.

This is just pure hypocrisy - the children are actually safe and receiving medical care. Their parents put them in this situation - you can’t bring you kid to jail sorry.

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

You all have to member that Caesar has laws. They are illegals. Caesar can't take care of the whole world. They don't look emaciated. They are getting Cots, food and medical care, till they get deported. There are good and bad in the mix, Who knows who they are.? If you were born here Caesar knows everything about you. We have home less all over this country that are not treated as well as these illegals.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '18

OMG - Don't go in the water, it's not safe. NOTHING is safe any more.

How come you all weren't talking about these poor children when Obama was doing the same thing?

@GC - don't go in what water? So confused...

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

I think I missed something too, Rebecka...What water???

joyful joyful
Jun '18

Maybe a metaphor? Here I go over-thinking again. Lol

positive positive
Jun '18

1975. Jaws. "It's not safe to go in the water."

Don't go on that thread. You never know what they will bring up. Nothing is safe anymore...

I think the old timers here respect each other and come together regardless of politics and communicate effectively - I know I certainly am ambivalent to politics in personal relationships. It is what it is - what you’re gonna need is a bigger boat lol

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

I just found out that a wild and crazy Scot we partied with last year in the islands and knew only as "Ellis" is CEO of DC Thomson Publishing. Ok then. Glad HE was the one who got buck naked and attempted to steal a fishing boat, not me. But what happens in the islands stays in the islands, and you didn't hear this from me. Lmbo oh the people I've met in my life.... unbelievable, really.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Large amounts of alcohol can make you do some silly things.....

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

I wouldn't know. ;-) But anyone else ever try to keep up with a Scot (or an Australian, for that matter) who's ready to have a good time on a drinking night out? There IS no keeping up with them. And I did not feel so nice the next day.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

It's a small world, you may have let the story out of the bag Rebecka...

Yes, it's a small world, iJay. But Ellis would only be proud of that particular night, and if he were telling the story of it himself, probably embellish it with tales of successfully stealing the boat, taking it way off shore, and catching a 6-foot blue marlin.

This is the guy who introduced himself to me with, "Hi, I'm Ellis, I'm piss drunk and I bugger small animals."

https://youtu.be/bS23XKPwkuw

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Just goes to show you that money, education and religion does not make one a better individual, just makes them more self-righteous.

One of the best qualities in any human being is the ability to put themselves in someone else's shoes, even if just for one minute.
Very few are actually capable of doing so, however..

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

You've got Ellis all wrong, Dodgebaal. And I know that for a fact.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Rebecka,

Don't disagree about Ellis.

Still stand by my overall statement, however.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

My vent? At the deli counter, there are six employees, six slicers, and ten customers waiting their turn, but only two customers are being helped at a time. Why?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

And @GC: jump in the water with abandon. Swimming can be even more fun if you think there's a shark around. Re: "Nothing is safe anymore..." - nothing was ever safe. LIFE is not safe. And if I'm reading your metaphor correctly, I know your particular Jaws to be toothless when it comes to you. He'll only swim away in fear. And he only eats algae, anyway.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Contractor putting in new water lines. Big piles of dirt all day long. At end of day, they clear off the street and then comes the sweeper. Makes dust so thick, you cannot see. Looks like a thick fog. Blows right into our yards and onto our houses. Had to close windows.The worst occurs when he starts against the curbs.
When I was growing up, my father worked for a coal company. Trucks driving back and forth hauling coal made a lot of dust. My father drove a truck with a spray on the back
on those roads. Never had a problem with the dust.

Dust control is a pretty standard requirement in any construction contract. You should have legal remedies. Is this HMUA or somewhere else?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '18

This is in Hackettstown.

Need to install a door bell at the bottom of the back door for the dog. Her scratching at the screen to come in needs to stop before she puts a hole in it.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '18

Japanese beetles

Put metal screen, looks like those metal-web tables, over with four screws. It worked. Used storms on other, thank goodness had upper and lower so have half-screened door.....

Jul '18

Ok, 4th of July was 4 days ago. Do we have to hear fireworks ALL week? Its getting ridiculous!!
My poor cat is a nervous wreck.

Jul '18

"I'll help you out in any way I can. Any time. Unless it's raining. Or dark outside"

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

Very sad to see a dog pen now completely boarded up as so the "pets" inside have no view, breeze, or enjoyment whatsoever. The enclosure ensures a perfectly horrible existence for those poor dogs. It is an absolute disgraceful situation in my opinion.
Hopefully the new ACO will be diligent in monitoring this very sad and unfortunate situation.

Is that the same one we had a thread on in the winter ?

Skippy Skippy
Jul '18

"Ok, 4th of July was 4 days ago. Do we have to hear fireworks ALL week? Its getting ridiculous!!
My poor cat is a nervous wreck."

Get your cat some Xanax. Is your cat white and female? These are the stats for humans.

"About 21 percent of white adults reported use of these drugs, compared with 8.7 percent of Hispanic adults, 9.7 percent of black adults and 4.8 percent of Asian adults.

Women were also much more likely than men to report taking psychiatric drugs.

“I was particularly surprised to discover that about one out of five adult women are taking a psychiatric drug and that that rate was double that of men"

A couple of glasses of wine with that benzo works wonders for anxiety
Please see your veterinarian for all cat medical advise.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jul '18

Neighbors speeding down the street.

I have no problem setting off fireworks the 4th of July. Setting them off random times after the the 4th and waking my 5 month old. Problem.

Pay good money to have a car fixed, crawl underneath it to do some basic maintenance and find the sway bar links disconnected because they forgot to put them back on after dropping the subframe to replace the downpipe. Problem. Wife drives the car and said nothing about handling and said car transporting my 5 month old. Bigger problem. Brother working at that mechanic shop and say WTF, and he shrugs it off. Rage.

Ikea furniture........ nuff said.

trailer roof leaking.

a good vent. the boss and his sons are on vacation this week so maybe I can get something done!

youngen youngen
Jul '18

Saw this meme online causing me to think of an ugly situation I mentioned above........

It helps to include the photo.

@Skippy - yes same dog owner and dogs from the other thread. It's shameful the way these dogs are kept.

Jul '18

@ Skippy and Walking Girl - I've seen the new set-up. Trellis covering the cage door, boat blocking the kennel, no trespassing signs. Instead of giving the pets (dogs and rabbit) the attention they crave and deserve, this "caring" owner has instead isolated the pets even further.

honey badger honey badger
Jul '18

@honey badger ~ thanks for commenting that you noticed too. I feel like no one cares about these dogs. It's unreal to think that someone can and does treat his animals like this.

Jul '18

My vent for the day:

There are a few posters here who throw out that racism/racist charge like it's raining men. They have shown conclusively that they really don't know or understand what racism truly is.

It seems to me the unproven assumptions these same posters make about other forum participants is more of a projection from their own prejudiced minds than it is based in anything real. Although I can see how comfortable it is for them to cast these unproven negative aspersions onto others in a vain attempt to falsely validate their own inherit prejudices. The level of cognitive dissonance on these folks is off the charts.

My suggestion to them is to stay in school, or better yet, get out and away from the college campus and live in the real world for awhile, you know, like with people who are different from yourselves.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Jul '18

It seems to me some people mistake their beliefs and desires for fact.
Facts can not be disputed (sorry Donald) however even something your deeply wish for or thoughts you have come to believe can be completely wrong.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '18

It was not nearly as bad years ago. The culture was different as to what was accepted and what was not. You did not dare not respect Police. Slang words were used but were just brushed off. There were different enclaves and they were happier in them, but schools and sports made up for it. Once the Government started to enforce rules for behavior, it got much worse. Now every one is offended and schools are now war zones. The deference between well to do and normal workers, was not as wide as it is today, hence more stealing.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '18

Why is it so difficult for people to read and/or follow directions?

Is your company's name printed on that parking spot? No? Then don't effing park there. Especially when the whole damn garage is empty.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '18

Ignorant, rude, I'm better then you people! UGH!!!

Aug '18

It's raining again

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Aug '18

Verizon Wireless.Ugh! I changed my plan in June. Changed it back in July, to what I had before, so I thought.
Get text message yesterday that I ran out of data and will be charged $15 per GB til Aug 19. WTH! I called them and turns out my plan WAS changed back in July, but only partially! HUH!
They give me nothing but aggregation every time I want or need to change.
Can't wait til my contract is done in April!! I'll be moving on.

Aug '18

Oh Comcast, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 5 times, shame on me.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '18

Inconsiderate neighbors.

Aug '18

How does a company cut hours on their loyal employees, yet have a hiring sign outside. SMH!!

Aug '18

It's a Labor Day, sunny and 90 degrees, website states "Beach Is Open!" but beach is actually closed. Such a huge disappointment and embarrassment in front of my visitors from the city who came specifically to spend a day at the Mountain Lake beach after my praising all summer long.
So I drove them to Swartswood Lake trying to fix the situation - beach is open but swimming area is closed. Again, no alerts on website.
So unfair!!!

Lena, what a shame....but there are two beautiful lakes that are never closed as far as I know.......one is Blue Mountain Lake and the other is Crater Lake. Beautiful!

littlelu littlelu
Sep '18

I downloaded the Pandora app on my phone a few weeks ago. I use it to stream music wirelessly in the house and I love it; works perfectly.

But now when I get in my Subaru and plug my phone in to charge it, the app starts automatically, connects to my car speakers, and plays "Honky Cat" by Elton John.

Every. Single. Time.

Wth. I looked at the Pandora app but I am apparently not technologically savvy enough to find out why or get it to stop.

Guess I have a new theme song?? (Will this be for the rest of my life?!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '18

If you don't know where your turn off is........instead of going 15 miles under the speed limit, and stepping on your breaks at every road, at every sign and at the end of every guard rail........how about pulling over and letting the 10 cars behind you pass! I mean it's Waterloo Road......why not just be nice and let us pass.....I don't know maybe it's just me but that really irked my girk........ :) grrrrrr lol

littlelu littlelu
Sep '18

Rebecka, go into the app and try updating. I have had similar problems with Spotify, which I prefer.

My vent - people who drive in left hand lane on 2 lane road and don't pass cars in right hand lane but stay back. Do you not understand this is the passing lane? Ugh!

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Lamppost Lamppost
Sep '18

I get upset when I have to select English. I say let that other poor bosstard use the dial pad to select their language.....

Sep '18

Some people who buy on LETGO are so rude and ignorant. They say they are coming to buy your item, then NEVER show and ignore your messages.
UGH!!!!

Sep '18

Do you have that as an MP3 on your phone ? I had the same thing happen to me with a death cab for cutie song - and dont use Pandora - the USB would immediately change to my phone as the source

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

and half a brain is what you've got, maybe

maja2 maja2
Sep '18

"and half a brain is what you've got, maybe"

Ouch.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Sep '18

For the love of God, turn your sprinklers off! It literally rains every.single.day and it's almost the middle of October. Stop wasting water!

Tracy Tracy
Oct '18

Pretty sure it's about to start raining in our sunroom.

OMG this humidity.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

Seriously, Rebecka. I went out at lunchtime and tried on winter coats. WTH was I thinking? Will we ever need winter coats?

Tracy Tracy
Oct '18

If you are in such a rush, DONT GO SHOPPING. SMH!!!!

Oct '18

Christ, money must have gotten tight on the Stallone estate... now we're expected to give a rat's ass about Apollo Creed's kid fighting Ivan Drago's kid? I'd rather watch another lame Starsky and Hutch remake...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

Speaking of movies, not that I go them to or watch them, I have seen the trailer for the Queen movie and OMG who did the casting there? The dude playing Brian May looks just like him!!! And the Freddie dude looks awesome too.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

You don't watch movies??
Why not??

happiest girl
Oct '18

Advertisements tick me off, especially those with jingles for drug companies..."O, O, Ozempic",...while the annoying ex coke/crack head Mike Lindell of My Pillow is now a pitch man for "bleedstop".

DannyC DannyC
Oct '18

If you get as annoyed as I do over people yaking on their phones in stores, you will love this sign posted at Nicolosi's Pizzeria.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

That isn't the Nicolosi's in Lopatcong. Is it the one in Forks Township?

(They don't take credit cards...)

My favorite sign at Nicolosi reads "Positively No Hair Combing"...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

Yes, Forks Twp.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Omg- Who was the idiot who scheduled major road construction on 57 downtown Washington for today, it's Halloween. Police, dump trucks workers and major, major grid lock. The main street is filled with kids and parents, music, all kinds of stuff going on (looks like fun) Children and cars do not go well together. Pray no one gets hurt especially after dark. At first I thought it may have been emergency construction, a hole that size would need planning, it went across two lanes. If I'm wrong then I do apologize.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '18

I saw that mess auntiel. I was glad I wasn't turning that way. I thoght maybe a kid got hit by a car!

maja2 maja2
Oct '18

It was a train wreck when I went up 31 through the 57 intersection. I was wondering WTF was going on....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

I think the construction continues this morning:(

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

For the umpteenth time - I cannot get over the HS drop off line - seriously folks its not that hard, you pull up, the kid(s) hop out and you drive away - doing it as quickly as possible for the folks behind you - the people that have their student drive and do the switch on the line and the one's where the kid is not ready to jump out annoy the heck out of me - from day 1 my kids were told as we make the final turn into the line to unbuckle and be ready to get out, and they are. The only exception I have is for kids that have a bunch of stuff to carry (projects, sports gear, etc.) Other than that is should be a 15 sec. maneuver ---- okay rant over - as you were ---

trekster3~ trekster3~
Nov '18

Trekster, same for elementary schools too. It’s ridiculous.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

It's the same for bus riders - the kids sit in the car until the bus is there, then saunter over to the bus. At stops where there are a bunch of cars & kids, it takes forever.

tmb123 tmb123
Nov '18

My "wait frustration" is in check-out as we hear the cashier tell the person in front of us the amount. Suddenly, as if a light bulb went off, they reach into their pocketbook and pull out a check book: "who do I make it out to?" "and do you have the date...." argh.…..sigh. Have the damn antique payment system out, filled out, and ready to go...….

Nov '18

Good thing about Wal-Mart is you don't have to fill out the check. Don't even have to sign it. Wow, technology!!

Nov '18

Oh and the parents that don't get those kids out of the cars and moving probably complain about 'entitled' people

trekster3~ trekster3~
Nov '18

i hate changing the clocks every 6 months. just leave them alone, give us the extra hour of light at the end of the day. please!

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

You know, for a forum that disdains political discourse (although allows one thread to keep the sillies happy tyvm), there’s an awful lot of right-wing political advertising flying about those banners....just saying.

Nov '18

perfect GreyHawk

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

Most television commercials are generally awful and an insult to one's intelligence. But what really grinds my gears are all of these idiotic holiday automobile ads. How utterly ridiculous they are. If I see one more Lexus with a bow on it or another "surprise" gift of a pair of pick up trucks, I'll scream! LOL

Greg, agreed. They are pretty ridiculous and unrealistic.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

I agree with you on the car commercials. I always feel so slighted when Clyde doesn’t get me a new car with a big red bow on it.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '18

I might as well watch the commercials. It's as close to m Christmas fantasy gift as I'll get.

Bessie maybe Clyde will wrap something better in a big red bow : )

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

There is a large amount of unraked forest around here.

Roywhite Roywhite
Nov '18

I saw 6 dead deer on Rt57 between Mansfield (Kohls) and Washington (Snyder Bus Co.) Some have been there for days. Someone needs to get on the ball and clean them up. Its ridiculous!!

Nov '18

be aware of who you are donating to and how little of your hard earned money actually goes to doing good work

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

Well that chart sure is eye-opening!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '18

Charity Navigator is the best source for this information - and here is just one of their links:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=2203

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

You do realize Greyhawk that even a school child could see the element of fake news in your reporting....

The actual article conflicting with your "evidence." https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/executive-salaries-charities/

Sorry. BUSTED.

Nov '18

Thank you , I stand corrected then, March of Dimes is still low on the list , same thing for Untied Way, Salvation Army and St Judes are better at using your donated dollars more effectively, that's a good thing.

My point still stands, be careful who you donate to this holiday season, some of these charities are anything but.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

Charities where your dollar does not end up with the needy has always been a valid concern. Spreading the wrong numbers about the wrong charities is a disservice to all.

United Way has current efficiency number at over 92 cents which puts them right there at the very top. Salvation Army unfortunately has slipped and is now down to more like 76%, which also happens to be about the same as March of Dimes. (which increased since Snopes pointed out how the emails attributed to them are fakes)

I couldn't agree more that checking something reliable like Forbes and Charity navigator are good sources to know where to and where not to donate. Memes that can't even get "UNICEF" correct aren't good sources.

Agreed, 90 and above --- probably safe

86-90 Better have a reason for such extravagance, or avoid.

85 and below --- avoid or better be special circumstances

Clinton Foundation: 87% --- personally, I would really need to appreciate the mission as in I can't see anything special about the expenditures. Rated 4 out of 4 though: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=16680

Trump Foundation: Judge just ruled State's Lawsuit can proceed, closed, under investigation for fraud. https://www.npr.org/2018/11/24/670572403/judge-rules-new-york-states-lawsuit-against-the-trump-foundation-can-proceed

private organization, %%% given to charity not provided, no financial information provided, zero transparency, many claims of fraud, sound familiar, https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.profile&ein=133054537

heh, heh, heh......sorry.

WARNING: “pasted articles pulled from dubious google searches.”

Nov '18

oh boy, here we go again, not getting into a pissing match with you over this.

I said i stand corrected and gave thanks for the correction and I will now humbly thank you for adding detail to the correction.

My point still stands, be careful who you donate to this holiday season, some of these charities are anything but.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

Per their Annual Report for 2014, United Way Worldwide claimed combined administrative, non-operating and fundraising expenses of 16 percent, meaning that they spend approximately 16 cents for every dollar donated on organizational costs, and the other 84 cents go directly towards community projects.

https://charity.lovetoknow.com/Where_Does_My_United_Way_Money_Go

Where does your $1 to March of Dimes go?

March of Dimes used Infocision Management Group (IMG) for fundraising telemarketing. IMG raised $7.4 million and were compensated $3.1 million (42 cents of ever dollar raised), netting March of Dimes $4.3 million (58 cents of every dollar).Oct 28, 2015

https://paddockpost.com/2015/10/28/where-does-your-1-to-march-of-dimes-go/

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

Agreed, nap.

Nov '18

Why are some people evil, vindictive, hurtful liars!

Dec '18

To make themselves feel better, bbyuu2.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '18

I’m very careful.
I don’t know about you all- but I’m getting buried in solicitations.
I feel like I’m getting beat up.
Give consistently to St Jude’s- Special Olympics- an animal rescue org.-sometimes to Mkt Street Mission- collect toys for various orgs.
But I get STACKS of solicitations.
Selling my name is such a turn off.
Not condusive to cultivating a cheerful giver.

Stymie Stymie
Dec '18

I even get begging letters for my mom - who has been gone 7 years - and never lived at my address............argh

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

You have donated at some point and gotten on the list stymie - charitable giving generates lists that are sold unfortunately.

Skippy Skippy
Dec '18

Lab corp! Ugh!! You have to do everything yourself. Pretty soon they will have robots taking your blood.
Put more people out of work.

Dec '18

yeah that automated check in think is the worst

skippy skippy
Dec '18

Botheredbyuu2 - what I really don't get - patients still have to see receptionist to process prescription and check the info on file. Every time I go to Labcorp I help older folks with initial registration and documents scanning. They get very nervous and I am always afraid that they will misplace their Medicare /Medicaid and supplemental insurance cards.

BBY. And put all those buttons n screens just pushed by bacterial Bob and viral Veronica. I just drink the Purel before and after.

Then head to those triage areas like being in a mash unit on the front line.

Dec '18

LOL, did anyone see Trump fail at the coin flip, he tossed it like a frisbee.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '18

Flight from JFK to main island, 2000+ miles, $370 r/t pp.

Island hopper flight to destination island, 100 miles, $545 r/t pp.

We should start a small inter-island airline company.
>[

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '18

Soooo sick of seeing women putting makeup on in the car while they are driving. Seriously, get up a few minutes earlier! I am a full time working mother of two young children and I still manage to get my makeup on my face in the comfort and convenience of my bathroom.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '18

Why do landscapers blow leaves into the street and just leave them there?

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Dec '18

GreyWawk - some towns have leaves/ debris pickup from curb (Morris Plains, for example). 2 years ago my new neighbor blew all leaves to the street and left them for a few weeks, my husband had to pack them all up because they moved by wind into our "territory".

Pick up from curb, not street. Not just landscapers doing it. Homeowners too.

Why do some people feel its ok to drive with their high beams on! SHUT THEM OFF!

Dec '18

Must have been someone special today at Wal-Mart. Pulled up onto FRONT sidewalk, blocking fire zone, blocking people trying to go in and come out. Loading packages into his trunk. REALLY??? WHO ARE YOU??
Besides an ignorant, self-centered, egotistical ass!

Dec '18

Ok so everybody gets an occasional nail in a tire and it sucks. Me? Somehow I end up with a nail, a screw, and some brad type thingy. All within the past year. This latest thing I swear it looks like someone had to have done it on purpose! See pic. Luckily I was able to drive home from shop rite without a problem. Now tomorrow, I’ve got to see if it can be plugged before I drive to work. Merry f’ing christmas. Oh yeah, and that day happens to be my birthday too. So happy f’ing birthday to me. Rant over.

RAS - change tire at Walmart in Mt. Olive and get road hazard insurance for it. I also had nails in my tire (5 during 3 years, one screw was actually poking OUT of the tire) and despite having "life tire replacement" program from my dealer had to get replacements and pay for them out of pocket. I was replacing tires at Sam's club but after its closing I discovered Walmart with such a great deal.

Happy *hitty Birthday! Unfortunately I don’t think they will plug it because it’s on side of wall but I could be wrong

Nosila Nosila
Dec '18

RAS

Sorry, but Nosila is correct. Any reputable place that wouldn't want to get sued when the tire fails due to a plug in the sidewall isn't going to fix that. You'd be best off getting a pair of new tires on that axle (or pair of axle shafts in front or rear, whatever the case may be) and saving the good one they take off as a spare just in case you have a similar situation happen later.

That there is a double-headed nail which is normally used for temporary structures, such as concrete forms where you drive it in until the first head is seated and you use the second head to easily take it back apart, since it's sticking up. It's also used for stringing a level line which can be then pulled out easily when no longer needed.

"Plugs" as used in the old days, do work in the tread area, but the safest and most proper tire repair is to dismount it, patch from the inside (with a patch and plug if possible), then remount and rebalance the tire. I also like both Walmart and BJ's for new tires, but have had tread area patches done at Walmart which lasted the treadlife of the tire.

Just for you - Ram Jam's song that's quite appropo for your situation - sorry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7gcXsOWrGU

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '18

Small vent: but some really weird banner ads running with lots of political messages of a certain bend and then some just out there. First one, pic shown, seems a bit political --- but I like it :>) Seems to be the funniest way I have ever seen this point made. Seems political though.

On the same banner, the following was being sold. OK, my moniker is StrangerDanger and this sure seems to fit the bill. Somehow this feels inappropriate for our site unless there's some strange new fashion in vogue that I I missed.

https://www.ebay.com/i/292543381138?ul_ref= http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-153450-619298-0%252F4%253Fmpt%253D%255BCACHEBUSTER%255D%2526ff8%253D66254113868%2526ff9%253DGDN%2526siteid%253D0%2526ipn%253Dadmain2%2526placement%253D499875%2526mpre%253Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fi%252F292543381138%2526gclid%253DEAIaIQobChMIwrDNuZzQ3wIVz6ZRCh2AwAQ-EAEYASACEgK-Z_D_BwE%2526srcrot%253D711-153450-619298-0%2526rvr_id%253D1804791816680%2526rvr_ts%253D10d6f31e1680ab134bd1544bffc44a37

Probably just me, but feels creepy on so many levels.

Jan '19

Update on the tire vent; I just bought a new one. Oh well what’s another $200 eh?

It should be legal to beat anyone who drives around with their LED bars and LED fog lights on the road. They are off road use only.

younggen younggen
Jan '19

People driving without their lights on! I can’t believe how many I see every day. In the rain and fog, and practically in the dark!!! And they’re dark colored cars; gray, black, dark blue, etc. I get it that sometimes the lights being on don’t help the driver to see any better, BUT, lights DO help you to be SEEN! Is that so hard of a concept? I’m sure this is a repeat rant but deserves to be repeated!

on another site - people ask the absolutely most stupid questions - never taking the time to go to the source that could provide an answer - or who see something worry some and post it instead of calling the appropriate authorities............so actually they're venting without realizing it - Venting is great - but ...

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

RAS,
I observed plenty of this yesterday, and I agree.
It's really common sense, and part of situational awareness.
Some just don't have it.
This is why cars need to be automated, and it is coming.
I saw a lady yesterday putting on makeup at 65 mph, weaving a bit.
Vanity is an interesting concept. No wonder plastic surgeons are so rich.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

The new regulation of a year ago sez you can't get pulled over for not dimming your lights.

I wonder what happened to the taxes and registration on your vehicle if you had out of state plates and NJ is where you live. Or are the NY plates to get free health care?

The state used to care about safety enough to check your brakes and headlight, but there's more $$$ in sensors and emission work.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jan '19

Took a break from being on committees --- just got talked into joining back up with one and it's already aggravating --- ugh--- guess I won't be re-upping for another year!!

trekster3~ trekster3~
Jan '19

Whatever happened to "excuse me"?
Seems like a lot of people never learned those 2 words.

Jan '19

Stepped on toxic sea urchin.

The one island doc here is away for 7 days.

I have an unnaturally high level of pain tolerance. (Before and after back surgeries I just take only Tylenol, zero opiates ever, because I'm able to just deal.)

This pain though... wow. Really quite special, actually. And according to the locals, I'm in for a fun 24 hours. Sleeping will not happening tonight. Wish I could just knock myself out. Propohol sure would be nice right now...

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '19

OMG Rebecka I'm so sorry to hear this.........take care and feel well soon!!!!

littlelu littlelu
Jan '19

Friend of mine gets help from the food pantry. Why are they allowed to distribute food that has best by dates 6 months to 1 year old?

Jan '19

Because the "best by" date refers to product quality, not food safety. Here is a guide to what various food dates actually mean:

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter#1

Monty Monty
Jan '19

I volunteered at a food bank collection facility for a day (coordinated work thing) the Dept If aggriculture publishes a field manual with that stuff.

Skippy Skippy
Jan '19

From USDA:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '19

Sorry, I wouldn't eat it.

Jan '19

Why do you back into a parking spot in a crowded store parking lot. SMH!

Jan '19

I started doing that and I don’t really care. It’s easier to see pulling out and avoids backing into someone.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '19

One of my neighbors passed away today. She was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer last year. She had three young children, one just a year old. So very sad.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

I am truly sorry for her family and you Calico696 my prayers are with her family and you.

maybebaby
Jan '19

Heartbreaking Calico. I hope her family gets through it okay.

maja2 maja2
Jan '19

So sorry to hear that, calico.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '19

Thanks all. I'm just so tired of all these young parents passing away from cancer. It really sucks.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

3wb- ridiculous.

Jan '19

I’m sorry, bby. What?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '19

I was curious about the backing into spaces and driveways I’ve noticed recently and coincidently came across an article. In urban areas the unlawful will park like that to ease escape, as first responders unually do. Other citizens do it to stick out from the norm, call attention to themselves, even if they don’t realize the reason. It can’t be easier to back into a space surrounded on 3 sides then to back into a right of way, or street.
I’d post the article but can’t find it. Interesting human behavior.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '19

It’s not any more difficult to back into a parking spot at a grocery store than parallel parking is to me. But to each their own. I do it so I can actuall see pulling out. It’s far more difficult for me to back out of a space with limited visibility when between 2 SUVs. And it’s certainly not illegal to do so.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '19

The thing about backing into a parking space at the supermarket is that it makes it a PITA to unload groceries from your cart to your trunk.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

I agree ianimal, which is why I don't do it. I'd rather go all the way to the end and walk farther, so I'm not boxed in by SUVs and pick-ups, I so wish more people would go back to driving cars. It really is so difficult to back a Toyota Camry out of a parking space when you have a Ford F250 on one side and a Cadillac Escalade on the other. Yikes!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

Hmm....I spelled it right. RIDICULOUS!

Calico-sorry to hear about your neighbor. So sad.

Jan '19

Patience is a virtue, BBY. Does it really put you out to wait an additional 10 seconds?

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.