Money found in purse bought at Kohl's

I bought a purse at Kohls today. There was an envelope with money in it. If it is yours please describe the envelope and let me know the amount in the envelope and I will be happy to return it! :-) If you send me an e mail please let me know on the forum because I don't check e mail very often.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

Jessie...no it isn't mine, however, I just wanted to say thank you, for being such a thoughtful and honest person.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Aug '17

Perhaps you can contact Kohls customer service (at the store you purchased it) to see if they recognize the purse. They might be able to match receipts with who returned it to track down the original owner. You are such an honest person. Not too many people like you around now a days. God Bless.

Lauren Lauren
Aug '17

I have already contacted Kohls customer service, it was the first thing I did. :-)

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

Its mine. I'm a dude but I walk around with a purse. Dont judge me.

not sack
Aug '17

I think it's just wonderful for you to try and find the owners....

I yard sale and buy just about anything I can sell on ebay. Vintage costume jewelry is my main gig.........anyway I picked up a purse to buy it and looked inside......it was FULL of vintage costume jewelry.......THIS IS WHAT MY DREAMS ARE MADE OF.....finding a boat load of jewelry...anyway for longer then I like to admit I pondered the idea of paying for the purse and hit-in the highway.......but alas.......I am not a theif...good thing right? lol I pointed it out and woman was more then grateful......I though have still not found my boat load of costume jewelry..vintage!

littlelu littlelu
Aug '17

5-6 years ago I was in Kohl's and found a wallet on the floor. It had a lot of cash in it and luckily an ID. I contacted the person and they were so happy. We met at a park and I returned the wallet. As a token for being honest he gave me someone money out of the wallet and I said no, but he insisted and so I felt lucky and bought a scratch off. I didn't win anything in the scratch off but it felt good making that man's day. Good people are out there. Remember to always pay it forward!

Anonymous
Aug '17

Professor Plum lost his manny-purse with $57 in the Ballroom by the candlestick.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '17

It may have been a drug drop that you stumbled upon.

Be careful who you meet with if they claim it.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '17

It's really odd that you found money in a new purse for sale. I think Reggie may be right--it sounds more like an old-fashioned "dead drop." If someone does try to claim it, be careful.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Aug '17

I doubt someone would put drug money inside an item for sale, in a building with security cameras. I am not going into details about it because I want to ensure that if someone does claim it they are not getting descriptive info off the forum. I apriciate your concern for my safety though and I will be cautious if someone claims it. :-)

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

Its customary when giving a gift of a wallet or purse to include money inside. Someone probably returned a gift and forgot.

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '17

Why would you give the money to the store? So they can just spend it. Its not like they are going to go out of their way to find the owner.

not sack
Aug '17

The purse with contents should have been returned to store.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '17

Could be someone bought it, used it once or twice and decided they didn't like it and returned or exchanged it without checking inside. Nice of the OP to make the effort.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Aug '17

Or I could have just kept the money for myself, botheredbyuu2.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

You are doing the right thing, Jesse. You contacted the store's customer service and are getting the word out. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

It really is no wonder society is so messed up. I don't think it's intentional at all but people just do not seem to know right from wrong.

Rebecca the right thing to do is not keep the money, but return it to the store. Jesse is doing the exact wrong thing!

Common Sense
Aug '17

But Common Sense, the money can't possibly be the property of the store, can it? If it's not, then why would you give it to them?

Roywhite is likely correct, so taking Rebecka's suggestion is the proper way to go imo. They may even be able to verify the purse had been returned.

Either way, I wish Jesse's actions weren't all that surprising. Surprising should be if she kept it without looking for the rightful owner.

justintime justintime
Aug '17

The money can't possibly be Jesse's either can it? Why is that such a hard concept for you people to grasp?

This reminds me of a time I put my laptop down in a common area and walked away for a minute. When I returned somebody already had grabbed it and was looking through my bag. When I told him it was mine he began quizzing me on the make and model just to make sure it was mine LOL. Point is it wasn't up to him to quiz me he had no claim to that laptop. Same as Jesse has no claim to this money.

If Jesse is unable to locate the owner then what? Keep it for herself? That's wrong because it was never hers to begin with.

Common Sense
Aug '17

@littlelu where do you sell these treasures?

weebiekins weebiekins
Aug '17

I nearly did this once. Bought a clutch purse from Zappos for a wedding well in advance and set it aside with the card and wedding gift money inside. Later found a much cuter purse and decided to return this one. Had it in the box and taped up ready to go before I remembered the card and cash were inside.

The more we try to multi-task the more we lose our minds :-)

I think Jesse is doing the right thing. Much easier maybe to hand it over to the store, less inconvenient, but then how do you know if the person at the store would make an effort to find the owner?

hktownie hktownie
Aug '17

Ok Common Sense, I hear what you're saying.

So what are the likely outcomes from the scenarios presented? If the owner is found then in either case they have gotten their property back. Great. If they are not found then either Jessie keeps the money and chooses what to do with it, or the store does.

Based on the fact that Jessie even bothered to find the owner there's a good chance she will make good use of the money, but I see your point that shemaykeep it for selfish reasons.

What happens to the money if the store gets it? It's not theirs either, so what are the likely scenarios on that case?

justintime justintime
Aug '17

when you buy a new purse, doesn't the cashier, look through it to make sure, you aren't stealing anything, and throws out all paper that was in it. Why didn't she see the envelope.

And this folks is why people stop trying to do good things and just keep moving along.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '17

Right Craft Beer Bob! I find a good part of this thread to be ridiculously comical. Don't people have better ways to spend their time? I mean seriously, I could have just pocketed the money and not said anything. Apparently people like to point their rickety old nitpicky fingers at anyone they can find. I will continue to go through life attempting to do the right thing and do my best to make other people's days brighter. In the end I will be judged by only finger, and it certainly does not belong to anyone on this forum.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

Ebay, weebiekins.

littlelu littlelu
Aug '17

I was thinking the same thing, Craftbeer. Jesse's, probably like "why did I post this, in the first place? Turned out to be more of a headache, than anything else".
Jesse... of you're still reading this, remember the good stuff written here, forget the rest. Hope you're not mad for me putting "thoughts" into your head, just saying that's how I'd feel, by now. You did the right thing, posting here. I've done it, with found sentiments, like "grandpa's dog tag", made by a child, in copper. Others have put wallets, jewelry, purses, and more here, ....hoping to find the owners..... and I think it's wonderful.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Aug '17

Thanks Sparks! I am not mad, like I said, I find a lot of it comical! :-)

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

Someone could have a good time making a book out of these threads..............but no one would believe it............lol

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

Did I say something wrong???

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '17

How about this? If the owner can not be tracked down in a week, then why not use the money in the envelope on purchasing school supplies and donate it to underprivileged students for the upcoming academic year? Wal-Mart used to have a big bin where one could place donated supplies if they felt so inclined. Just an idea to the other ridiculous posts on here. But that would be up to the person who found it.

Lauren Lauren
Aug '17

After thirty days if no one comes forward to claim the money, donate it to The Hackettstown First Aid Squard. It could help save a life.

Walker Walker
Aug '17

Notifying the store was the correct thing. However, the usual procedure when you find something of value that doesn't belong to you, is you turn it over to the police. They will decide how to handle it; let you keep it, hold it for 30 days then give it back to you, etc.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Aug '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.